Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why were women in the 1940s and 1950s so obsessed with mink coats?

Was it cool to wear dead animals around on your back?

by Anonymousreply 173July 5, 2022 7:52 AM

Incredibly soft, warm, luxurious, and expensive.

Go nibble a carrot or a nut.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 2:31 AM

Obviously, yes. If it hadn't been cool, they wouldn't have been obsessed.

Also, have you ever met a mink? They are some of the stupidest and most aggressive animals I've ever seen. Nothing really eats them, they do not make good pets. I think it should be obvious that their purpose on the planet was to provide fur, it is really the only good thing about them.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 2:33 AM

What becomes a legend...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 2:34 AM

Status.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 2:39 AM

Take it back, OP...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 2:40 AM

And 90s women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 2:57 AM

I miss them.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 3:11 AM

Furs to women were what cars were to men. The richer you were the nicer car a man had and the nicer fur he bought his wife. Both mostly status

Leave it to a Trump to make it look cheap and tacky šŸ™„

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 3:13 AM

They were also a symbolic of the kind of hard work some women were doing

I sleep with scum, I earn it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 3:19 AM

OP- People love sitting on dead animals- leather seats in cars šŸš—

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 3:20 AM

"Mink coats and no manners."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 5:05 AM

My boss asked me to see if I can sell several mink coats she had in cold storage after her divorce. Boy have they dropped in price! No one wants them. I mean sure, you can still buy an expensive one brand new but they are way marked down, woman are just not wanting them as much as they used to. Their value has crashed. Same goes for pears for some odd reason.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 5:22 AM

[quote]Also, have you ever met a mink? They are some of the stupidest and most aggressive animals I've ever seen. Nothing really eats them, they do not make good pets. I think it should be obvious that their purpose on the planet was to provide fur, it is really the only good thing about them.

Hi Milinia, I know a few ladies (and I use that term very loosely) that could challenge that stupidity lack of usefulness gene. Perhaps you should try a mirror?

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 5:26 AM

What those poor animals go through in order for these women to wear mink is unfathomable.

Fuck these cunts.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 5:31 AM

Happy Mink Farming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 5:39 AM

This was very satisfying. Mainly because it's a Kardashian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 5:57 AM

Fur coats are pretty, scream wealth, shout courage, scorn PETA freaks, flatter a figure, and keep you warm. That's my guess.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 6:01 AM

The fox stoles with the head still attached always intrigued me. How common was that?

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 6:04 AM

"Trends" darling. "Trends".

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 6:07 AM

I eat meat, so I am definitely not a PETA guy, but that said, it always seemed wired to me to wear fur like that especially with the head on. Leather is different because it's left over after slaughtering the cow for food. Killing a cute little Mink just for fashion seems a bit out of touch with the pure cruelty for status it brings.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 6:08 AM

Why do the PETA humanitarians never throw flour or paint on leather wearing bikers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 6:10 AM

[quote]Their value has crashed. Same goes for pears for some odd reason.

Wearing pears really isn't as fashionable as it once was.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 6:35 AM

My mother had a mink in the late 60s. It was still thing. then. A status symbol - to show you have a rich man who can afford to buy it for you. Or women who were rich in their own rights could buy their own, obviously. Later on people (like her) didn't know what to do with them, when they became totally UN-PC, so they were advised to use them as lining for raincoats (which she did).

I once found a receipt for a fur coat my mother bought in 1964 (in London). It was about Ā£2,500. A Mini Cooper cost Ā£600 in 1964. They were BIG money. Apparently she inherited some money at that time and that's what she wasted it on, age 24 (always an idiot with money). It was stolen a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 6:40 AM

R21, Because leather is not the same as fur you nitwit. Leather is a byproduct, fur is killed only for shallow fashion trends. No one eats mink meat.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 6:41 AM

It feels good. It's luxurious and warm. I don't really think it's worth spending insane amounts of money on, but I can see the appeal. What I really don't understand is fake fur. It feels awful, it sheds, and it's terrible for the environment.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2022 6:43 AM

Because advertising told them they wanted one.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2022 6:43 AM

People used natural materials to keep themselves warm then. Fur was useful for that. Now all animals are angels and can never do harm (my pittie was just giving you a love bite!)

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2022 7:11 AM

I remember, when I was very young, my mother showing me her skunk coat. Yes, skunk fur was used to make coats and jackets. I have no idea what became of it, and I don't recall her actually wearing it.

It certainly doesn't sound glamorous. "I have a new skunk coat. Jealous, bitches?"

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 7:12 AM

The ones with the heads of the animals are repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2022 7:13 AM

Some old aunt of mine wore a fox stole that she would keep in place by having the fox bite its tail.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2022 7:15 AM

Just as cool as it is to own leather belts, snakeskin boots and ivory carvings, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2022 7:17 AM

Because it meant daddy loved you.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2022 7:30 AM

šŸ˜‚ When I was little my mom had one of those fox things with the heads that bite the tail. I used to sneak it out of her closet and play big game hunter and pretend to shoot it

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 7:41 AM

R14 and R15 = Phoebe Buffay (viz R6)

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 7:43 AM

Popular as they were, only one actress ever wore one to receive a Best Actress award. (Ginger Rogers)

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2022 8:01 AM

[quote]Same goes for pears for some odd reason.

šŸ???

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2022 8:02 AM

@r35, It would look silly if an actress wore a coat to receive an award. It would be like, "I'm just passing through, but only have a second to take your silly award" Kind of rude

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2022 8:06 AM

OP ā€” they INSTANTLY communicated glamour and stature and style.

If you had a less than perfect figure or a dress whose expense could only be seen up close, or only a few dresses (fur is expected to be reworn), or didnā€™t put in your full effort going out fur could save you.

Putting one on immediately set you above anyone without one at the bossā€™ dinner party.

So they were useful and a better investment than a lot of other clothes and jewels. Surpassed maybe only by the versatility of a strand of pearls.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2022 8:07 AM

Ginger didnā€™t wear it onstage, but sheā€™s the only actress Iā€™ve seen wearing fur in photos on the night.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2022 8:09 AM

I just remember as a kid going to Church and all the ladies in their fur coats and hats šŸ™„

At least they were soft to cuddle up to

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2022 8:12 AM

Anyone could have a fur coat, but it took Raquel Welch to have a fur bikini!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2022 8:47 AM

In the 40s and 50s (and 60s and 70s) people didn't give much thought to the tortured life and painful death millions of sentient being endured just so that a shallow person could wear their carcasses and impress her friends.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 2:33 AM

I want a mink for winter. Faux fur, of course. And a man size muff for my cinnamon cbd gummies.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 3:25 AM

I'd love one. My mom had a coat and a jacket. My sister took them and I haven't seen them in a long time.

Mink is very warm and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2022 3:29 AM

"Do you know how many animals died for that coat?"

"Do you know how many animals I fucked for it?"

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2022 3:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 3:37 AM

[quote]"I have a new skunk coat. Jealous, bitches?"

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 3:40 AM

For my aunt's 16th birthday my great-grandmother bought her one of those fox stoles with a head that attached to its tail. I can't imagine a teenage girl wearing one today but in 1965 it was very glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 3:51 AM

I have a gorgeous Blackglama I inherited from my mother. itā€™s in great shape. Very soft, luxurious. I had it tailored and updated from Bloomingdaleā€™s in Manhattan some years ago. Got my name monogrammed on one side:, my mothers original monogram is on the other side. very special to me.

Iā€™m a nostalgic type person but my mothers mink coat (from growing up in the 80s) always reminded me of glamour and chic. And yeah, she was only driving to the country club in New Jersey. But itā€™s important to me.

I have been considering a new full-length fur coat in a beautiful rich brown. My mother has a full-length black mink too but it was weirdly stiff and uncomfortable so we got rid of it. It got that cheap, rigid, stuff feelingā€” donā€™t know what happened to it.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 4:01 AM

My mom made the mistake of taking my teen aged brother shopping with her. He found the fur coats and stated loudly that they were soo soft, like a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2022 4:02 AM

R50 Was he unanimous in that?

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 4:05 AM

This Fabulous Menā€™s Russian Sable coat isnā€™t for everybody. Russian Sable, the ultimate of all furs. This fur only for the select few, lets not get it twisted, different league then chinchilla.

$35,000.00

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2022 4:16 AM

There was no crack, coke or fentanyl. Or back alley rubharb. People had to have something.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2022 4:31 AM

Chinchilla is for tall skinny people.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2022 4:36 AM

I do kinda wish those old 1920s men's racoon coats would come back in style, faux now of course.

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2022 4:43 AM

This thread reminds me of entering the work force in the late 1980s. I worked in a super corporate environment (marketing for financial services), in an office that was mostly women.

My boss was in her early 30s and owned several full-length furs. They were badges of achievement for her: as a single professional, she bought them for herself (along with various Chanel and Hermes accessories). The younger women in the office followed suit and soon several of them were saving for their own furs.

So in an odd way, furs were a kind of a feminist statement of independence and accomplishment for urban professionals for a while.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2022 5:01 AM

In other words, Boomer woman were just as cold and self involved as Boomer men.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2022 5:12 AM

Stranger: ā€œWhat poor unfortunate creature had to die for you to wear that?ā€

Hedwig: ā€œMy Aunt Trudy!ā€

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2022 5:32 AM

[quote] My mother has a full-length black mink too but it was weirdly stiff and uncomfortable so we got rid of it

Perhaps the problem was in the interior lining

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2022 7:36 AM

They all look too bulky. You couldn't wear them in a bus or a Mini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2022 7:39 AM

Fur hags.

You know they're trash if they're wearing fur.

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2022 1:56 PM

Their bulk has the benefit of hiding a few extra pounds though.

Old Blackglama adverts used to use somewhat past their prime stars for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2022 1:59 PM

The woke fascination with complaining about offensive customs people grew out of never ceases to fascinate me.

As if history were occurring right now at this second! "Why can't people from the past be as evolved as I am!?"

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2022 2:00 PM

I agree about fur flattering "ladies of a certain age."

Mother always said that fur coats (vs fur trim or hats) were vulgar on young women under 25. A lady earned her right to wear a fur properly after that age.

Mother was correct about so many, many matters of style.

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2022 2:02 PM

Love fur and i wear it

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2022 2:32 PM

Mother can go suck my clit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2022 2:33 PM

R23 My grandmother also had a fur-lined raincoat. It was very glamorous. She wore it on the airplane on the first trip she took me on to New York City. A stranger came up to compliment her and I just remember thinking she was so stylish.

My great-grandmother had a brown mink coat. For some reason, my grandmother never wanted to wear that one, so she had it made into a blanket and draped it luxuriously over a chair. Eventually, it got stiff and odd feeling. My grandmother said it was because she never took the blanket to get cleaned and the other proper maintenance that you need to do to keep them niceā€” so if anyone has an old fur, perhaps look into getting it cleaned properly every once in a while if they are interested in preserving it.

My grandmother knew someone who was a flight attendant and had sex with one of the Kennedys (Jack or Joe, I canā€™t remember which) and he apparently sent the flight attendant a fancy fur coat after their affair was over.

The original Neiman Marcus department store in downtown Dallas used to have a huge fur section upstairs. Over the years, it has gotten noticeably smaller and more sparse. Admittedly, I havenā€™t been back since pre-Covid so I donā€™t even know if itā€™s there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2022 6:45 PM

The Barbara Hutton Story miniseries featured a lot of fancy furs in vintage styles.

Luckily it looks like thereā€™s a creep who has a whole YouTube channel on movies featuring furs so we can all enjoy this clip together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2022 6:48 PM

[quote]Mother always said that fur coats (vs fur trim or hats) were vulgar on young women under 25. A lady earned her right to wear a fur properly after that age.

Not to overshare, but beloved Mother would say the same thing about diamond jewelry. Just inappropriate and indecorous on younger women. Real gems should remain the province of more mature ladies of taste.

But that's another thread.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2022 6:51 PM

My uncle worked in sales for Cosmo magazine for decades in the 60s and 70s and one very flush year all the wives of the ads salesmen got fur coats which I remember as being called cocktail length, but looking up must be stroller length. She was very proud of that coat and loved wearing.

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2022 8:00 PM

I took a cruise to Alaska in the summer one time. I expected it to be an older crowd which was not as much as I thought. But of those that were in the group, saw old laddies getting off the ship in full length mink coats and the temperature was 75 degrees! Fuck everyone else was wearing shorts.

FYI don't wait until you are 60 to go to Alaska. It's not all old people or mountain people.. Lots of fun things to do only while you are still young enough to do them, like hiking on a glacier. It's really cool and fun but I would not do it when I am 60.

by Anonymousreply 71June 23, 2022 8:20 PM

That story is sooooo MAD MEN, R70!

by Anonymousreply 72June 23, 2022 8:28 PM

My mom was truly upset when I told her I didn't want her mink coats (yes, plural) when she died. Told her they're gross.

When she died, I sold them. Didn't even want to do that....but the alternative was throwing them away, which seemed even more disrespectful to the animals.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat mammals any more. Finding it hard to give up poultry and fish. I think it's terrible how we've treated animals. Granted, I was just as thoughtless about animal welfare in terms of food for most of my life--merrily ate steaks and other meat with little consideration for the animal. Now it just makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2022 8:29 PM

R72 The rather bizarre part of the story Iā€™ll add now is that they lived on the Main Line in Philly and everyday for work he commuted from Philly to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2022 8:34 PM

If a man wanted to see some bush then he had to show some fur!

by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2022 8:38 PM

This all ties me into the watching Mad Men for the first time thread and how they pulled out that whole backstory late in the series broadcast about how Don worked for a furrier.

by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2022 9:01 PM

[quote]woman are just not wanting them

[quote]In other words, Boomer woman were just as cold

Just the one, dears?

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2022 9:14 PM

[quote]When she died, I sold them. Didn't even want to do that....but the alternative was throwing them away, which seemed even more disrespectful to the animals.

Yeah, OK.

You wouldnā€™t have stuffed some money in your pocket and perpetuated someone else wearing these dead animals, but really there was no other way that wasnā€™t disrespectful to an animal that died 60 years ago.

Mmmkay.

šŸ˜‚

by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2022 9:16 PM

[quote]No one eats mink meat.

Hey, you donā€™t know that. I would need to see a pic first before committing though.

by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2022 9:17 PM

I loved the use of fur in That Touch of Mink.

Doris looks divine. There were different colored outer coats. The fashion in that film was also divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2022 2:16 AM

Some dames just know how to wear 'em.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2022 4:08 AM

Ask your mother.

You live with her, donā€™t you?

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2022 4:09 AM

The crazy thing is, good mink coats are supposed to be kept in temp controlled rooms. So in places like Beverly Hills, woman can keep them at the store in their special refrigerator room or whatever it is until they need to wear them. And it's not cheap. Like paying rent for your coat to live somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2022 9:00 AM

[quote]So in places like Beverly Hills, woman can keep them at the store

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2022 12:52 PM

Our mother has owned at least two full length black diamond mink coats. She referred to one of them as "this old thing"

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2022 1:18 PM

Furs weren't just a status symbol -for a long time furs were the warmest winter clothing available! Fur coats were much warmer and much more expensive than the fabric coats of centuries past, that's a big part of the reason the rich wanted the things.

A person who lived in a New England winter or an unheated stone castle would spend half the year desperately wanting to be warm. Furs were as good as it got.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2022 1:36 PM

I seem to recall an item about 20 years ago with Streisand taking a small apartment in her NYC building primarily for keeping her furs cold

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2022 10:13 PM

Yes, but thatā€™s not the same ā€œfurā€ weā€™re talking about here.

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2022 11:00 PM

Parfums Weil, an offshoot of a Paris furrier, started out making perfumes specifically to cover up musty, gamy smells in fur coats. (Zibeline, one of Weil's most famous scents, means "sable" in French.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2022 11:19 PM

My stepbrother is, on the surface, everything DL would hate: a Texas conservative, hunter, Christian (note: he hates Trump and actually voted for Biden). He hates fur coats with a passion because in his mind, animals should only be killed for sustenance and not for fashion or trophy hunting or anything beyond old fashioned deer hunting.

Besides the ridiculous cruelty, there are few places that are cold enough to warrant a fur coat.

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2022 11:28 PM

[quote] there are few places that are cold enough to warrant a fur coat.

An ignorant, selfish statement

by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2022 12:22 AM

As a youngster in the 1970s, I was obsessed with mink coats from the 1940s. For $20 bucks one could find a mink in decent shape at Hollywood thrift shops. Appropriate for any occasion, I often paired my mink with tight jeans, doc martin boots and a peek-a-boo chain-male top. The lost art of nonchalantly dragging a stole.

by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2022 12:28 AM

The late great Judith Krantz assured her readers (in SCRUPLES and elsewhere) that parts of LA did indeed get chilly enough to warrant a fur, particularly closer to the dessert regions.

Thank god for Judy Krantz. Thank god for FUR!

by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2022 12:35 AM

^ at night, after dark, that is.

Because both Judy and Candy rarely wore fur in the daytime.

by Anonymousreply 94June 25, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote] I often paired my mink with tight jeans, doc martin boots and a peek-a-boo chain-male top.

R92 this image made me giggle

by Anonymousreply 95June 25, 2022 12:37 AM

When the new Global Ice Age engulfs us we will wish we kept those old furs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 25, 2022 12:38 AM

The global warming thing is really going to put a damper on the fur industry.

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2022 12:39 AM

The global cooling thing is really going to put a damper on all the catastrophizing Henny-Pennies.

by Anonymousreply 98June 25, 2022 12:42 AM

"Besides the ridiculous cruelty, there are few places that are cold enough to warrant a fur coat."

Well, there's San Francisco on a summer night!

The only time I ever tried on a mink was when a friend wore a coat she'd inherited from her mother on a frigid summer evening in SF. The thing weighed a fucking ton, and felt coarse (which probably meant it hadn't been stored properly). But it weighed a lot more than a modern cold-weather parka, which might be another reason the things have gone out of style. Not only has the world realized they're made of cruelty and horror, the world has realized that it has more comfortable ways to keep warm.

by Anonymousreply 99June 25, 2022 12:51 AM

They were nice to have as you had something to sell when you needed an illegal abortion.

by Anonymousreply 100June 25, 2022 12:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 25, 2022 12:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 25, 2022 12:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 25, 2022 12:55 AM

Yeah, those furs with the head and legs, never understood the appeal. My grandma had one. The eyes were marbles. How could anyone see them as anything more than grotesque?

by Anonymousreply 104June 25, 2022 12:56 AM

[quote] How could anyone see them as anything more than grotesque?

Your grandchildren with judge you for your fashion choices after you're dead.

by Anonymousreply 105June 25, 2022 1:03 AM

[quote]The late great Judith Krantz assured her readers (in SCRUPLES and elsewhere) that parts of LA did indeed get chilly enough to warrant a fur, particularly closer to the dessert regions.

Yes, you definitely needed a fur if you were going to stand too close to a Baked Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 106June 25, 2022 1:19 AM

My first boyfriendā€™s mother kept her fur in cold storage in Boston. Her fur man was Charles Stuart the infamous wife murderer.

by Anonymousreply 107June 25, 2022 1:54 AM

[quote]Her fur man was Charles Stuart the infamous wife murderer.

Fur IS murder!

by Anonymousreply 108June 25, 2022 2:06 AM

It's a funny thing, but for the last 200 years or so, fur may have been the best way to keep warm, but only women wore it.

Men's top coats were made of fabric, or camel or vicuna hair, the only men who wore fur were unfashionable Russians or fur trappers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 25, 2022 2:17 AM

R109. Billy was such a cold cynic.

by Anonymousreply 110June 25, 2022 2:21 AM

Take it back...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 25, 2022 2:29 AM

Iā€™ve always been partial to ermine.

by Anonymousreply 112June 25, 2022 2:38 AM

R109 They were in style for college men in the 1920s and late 40s/early 50s.

by Anonymousreply 113June 25, 2022 2:53 AM

OP is another virtue signaling fool.

Synthetic fabrics, like fleece, didn't exist. Animal pelts had been used for thousands of years for warmth.

by Anonymousreply 114June 25, 2022 2:58 AM

Judy's Blackglama ad was the only one that really made both the star AND the coat look fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 115June 25, 2022 3:51 PM

[quote]parts of LA did indeed get chilly enough to warrant a fur, particularly closer to the dessert regions.

I can see that. Especially if itā€™s ice cream youā€™re having.

by Anonymousreply 116June 25, 2022 4:46 PM

R109, you take that back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 25, 2022 4:47 PM

^^^ WE LOVE YOU, JOE!

by Anonymousreply 118June 25, 2022 7:57 PM

Barbara Hutton liked to pair her custom fur jacket with resting bitch face.

I love the disdainful way she holds her cigarette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 29, 2022 11:02 PM

Wearing a pelt of fur was a status symbol of wealth and elegance.

by Anonymousreply 120June 29, 2022 11:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 29, 2022 11:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 29, 2022 11:06 PM

last one for now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 29, 2022 11:07 PM

Funny thing about wearing fur, women look elegant and glamorous, but men always look like pimps

by Anonymousreply 124June 29, 2022 11:08 PM

[quote] but men always look like pimps

Except Sergeant Preston

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 29, 2022 11:13 PM

^ He was Canadian and you know how they are šŸ™„

by Anonymousreply 126June 29, 2022 11:22 PM

Polite?

by Anonymousreply 127June 29, 2022 11:24 PM

^ Light in the loafers

by Anonymousreply 128June 29, 2022 11:25 PM

That's Ermine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 29, 2022 11:28 PM

^ Looks like Divine

by Anonymousreply 130June 29, 2022 11:29 PM

^ Oh, shit! ***moving far, far away from R130*** He'll be giving good head soon enough

by Anonymousreply 131June 29, 2022 11:34 PM

^ Huh? šŸ¤”

by Anonymousreply 132June 29, 2022 11:37 PM

Are you all vegetarians too. I won't wear fur but animals are raised for food and clothing. leather is also an animal skin. I don't have a problem with people wearing domesticated animals nor do I care if people eat meat. What I object to is killing wild animals as a status symbol. JZ and Beyonce were wearing elephant skin boots. Wearing tiger or any other endangered animal should be a crime. I very much object to people hunting wild or endangered animals like Trump's kids did.

by Anonymousreply 133June 29, 2022 11:39 PM

Thank you for stating your boundaries

by Anonymousreply 134June 29, 2022 11:41 PM

Animals used for fur coats, etc are typically skinned alive. Isn't that the issue?

Sorry, R130. That was a portrait of Henry VIII who was a tyrant King of England notorious for having the heads hacked off of those who crossed him.

by Anonymousreply 135June 29, 2022 11:48 PM

^ Yes, I know who he is, but I think he looks like Divine in that outfit

by Anonymousreply 136June 29, 2022 11:50 PM

^ Well, that's fine, dear dear R130. I was just trying to make a funny which unfortunately sailed right over you HEAD! Ah, perhaps I'm lacking in wit.

by Anonymousreply 137June 29, 2022 11:55 PM

I like the subtle trim of fur in these twoā€™s outfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 29, 2022 11:59 PM

@r137, " I was just trying to make a funny"

Oh...

Hahahahahaha!

šŸ™„

by Anonymousreply 139June 30, 2022 12:09 AM

The Queens on this Board. šŸ™„

by Anonymousreply 140June 30, 2022 12:30 AM

Fur pie never goes out of style!

by Anonymousreply 141June 30, 2022 12:38 AM

Fur pies are shaved these days.

by Anonymousreply 142June 30, 2022 12:47 AM

My mother and several of the moms in my neighborhood growing up would put on a fur, do big hair and makeup, jewelry and run errands/carpool/whatever. Underneath the coat? Sweatsuits, pajamas. Impressive look until you realize they're slobbed out underneath.

by Anonymousreply 143June 30, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote]Underneath the coat? Sweatsuits, pajamas. Impressive look until you realize they're slobbed out underneath.

Ah, but underneath!

by Anonymousreply 144June 30, 2022 2:21 AM

Melanie Daniels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 30, 2022 4:12 AM

R135, animals are not skinned alive for their fur. Some stupid video out of China showed some people with an animal that allegedly was not quite dead when skinned or something like that. But do you have an opinion on the alien autopsy videos? Were they dead dead?

by Anonymousreply 146June 30, 2022 6:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 4, 2022 1:16 AM

I wonder if QE2ā€™s leopard coat is in cold storage somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 4, 2022 1:32 AM

[quote]I wonder if QE2ā€™s leopard coat is in cold storage somewhere.

I'm starting to wonder whether QE2 is kept in cold storage.

by Anonymousreply 149July 4, 2022 1:34 AM

In the 70s on shows like Hollywood Squares and The Price Is Right, a fur from "Dicker and Dicker of Beverly Hills" was regularly featured as one of the game show prizes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 4, 2022 1:40 AM

*3* GIRLS *3*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 4, 2022 2:30 AM

Are you absolutely certain the standing one with the Dick Tracy chin is a girl?

by Anonymousreply 152July 4, 2022 2:51 AM

Andy Warhol was worried that Grace Jones wasn't being smart with her money, because she spent so much on fur coats instead of investing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 4, 2022 3:19 AM

R152, the one in the fur turban is ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev.

Who was indeed a guuurl.

by Anonymousreply 154July 4, 2022 4:08 AM

Here are some homosexual gentlemen enjoying their furs in 1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 4, 2022 4:25 AM

We have not even touched upon other accessories, like the muff.

Women in past decades coveted a big furry muff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 4, 2022 4:27 AM

Well, if it isn't Bulgie McBulgerson, r155!

by Anonymousreply 157July 4, 2022 4:28 AM

Oh, GURL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 4, 2022 4:41 AM

I have a really fabulous sable coat that I adore. I also outfitted my mountain cabin with gorgeous, real fur bed coverings.

Fuck those PETA cunts. I love my fur collection.

Ever have hot sex on soft, luxurious, fur pelts? Get back to me once you have.

by Anonymousreply 159July 4, 2022 5:06 AM

You can get fake-fur throws for winter bedding, they're incredible warm and some are machine-washable.

Ya think that R159 is taking his fur to be cleaned every time he has a dirty weekend at his cabin?

by Anonymousreply 160July 4, 2022 5:16 AM

The fake fur is an environmental hazard.

by Anonymousreply 161July 4, 2022 5:36 AM

Environmentalists don't care

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 4, 2022 5:39 AM

We still wear *our* furs!

by Anonymousreply 163July 4, 2022 5:57 AM

Fur is murder...to clean!

by Anonymousreply 164July 4, 2022 6:30 AM

This Yenta thought her fur was like butter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 4, 2022 6:59 AM

You try and do Tolstoy without furs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 4, 2022 3:55 PM

Last year a friend arrived at a small winter house party wearing an aunt's stylish 40s era mink jacket. She looked stunning. People didn't think about the dead animals back then. Dead animals were a way of life, still are for much of the world.

It's grotesque how many animals are destroyed every day for our food, pets, leather and other animal products. We're ravenous gobblers of nature's bounty and its getting worse.

by Anonymousreply 167July 4, 2022 4:28 PM

R81, that bitch Bette Davis couldn't hold a candle to me in my mink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 4, 2022 5:47 PM

Fur coat and no knickers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 4, 2022 5:49 PM

Madonna recently posted pictures of herself in a fur coat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 4, 2022 5:53 PM

The Kartrashians have a buttload of fur coats and they wear them out any time the thermometer drops below 60* in LA.

by Anonymousreply 171July 4, 2022 10:28 PM

Luis Bunuel uses them to like a weapon. The discreet charm of the bourgeoisie.

by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2022 11:43 PM

Love ChiChi the cow mink!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 5, 2022 7:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!