Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How long before the gender fad is over and we move in to something else?

Trans/nonbinary/etc

by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2022 10:17 PM

I hope it’s just a fad, but fear it’s a permanent thing. Either way, great damage has been done to the LGB already.

The FINA ruling is a ray of hope though.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2022 2:07 AM

Don't worry. The tide is turning.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2022 2:14 AM

Three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2022 2:24 AM

mid-terms

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2022 2:30 AM

it's coming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 2:52 AM

OP is a trans man, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 2:54 AM

I miss masc men. Esp in gender-fluid NYC😔

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 2:55 AM

I was just talking about this with my husband. We are watching Star Trek Discovery and just started season three. It takes place in the 3100s and there are two trans characters on there with they/them pronouns. I said this won’t be a thing in 10 years, let alone 1,000! If humanity makes it that far I’m sure there will be a whole different concept of biological sex and gender. I love Star Trek but that is so silly.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 3:00 AM

R8 again – I teach middle school and I’ve noticed a decline in kids identifying as trans and wanting to be called by different names and/or pronouns. It’s definitely a fad that I think reached its peak about two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 3:02 AM

OP is just begging for a harsh pegging from a Trans man

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 3:04 AM

Less than five years. There's been so much momentum pushing against it in the past few months, and if r9's testimony is accurate and matched elsewhere, it's already in decline. Too late, of course, as the backlash is now hitting us - hopefully, that will pass quickly, too.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 3:14 AM

Not soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 5:09 AM

Maybe it’s peaking soon. D list celebs have trans kids now. Usually means it’s almost over.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 5:20 AM

An interesting take from a sensible drag queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 5:23 AM

This is like asking when the gay fad is over.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 5:44 AM

Hopefully it will go the way of AOL cds/coasters and dial up

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 5:54 AM

I love the people on DL who think they can make trans people go away if they complain enough. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 10:05 AM

Never, and academics in various cultural and gender studies programs assure me that trans-species, cyborg, and trans AI identifies are next up.

"Up" is also sus since it is hierarchical. I was going to say "on the table" but that privileges cultures that have tables. I'll get back to you about a restatement soon.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 10:11 AM

[quote]we move in to something else?

Preferably mid-century modern and definitely rent-controlled.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 10:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 10:20 AM

Someone on another thread mentioned that when medical malpractice lawsuits start happening, this stupid stuff will be finished. Here's hoping.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 10:33 AM

R20 the thread on that story got shutdown

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 10:34 AM

What will the next thing be?

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 10:42 AM

Lot of people on this thread need to sent to gulags.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 10:43 AM

The decline will peak with Elliot Page's detransition.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2022 10:44 AM

I love that drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2022 11:10 AM

There will always be trans people. But the epidemic of nonbinary/trans children of celebs/rich folk seems like social contagion. If this many trans children existed 20 years ago why weren’t child suicides through the roof when it was less accepted to be trans? Instead teens especially girls today are in crisis. Shouldn’t things be getting better?

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2022 11:22 AM

Did you read the article at R20, R27? Peer-pressure, existing mental illness, and some evil fucking adults who think it's ok for a 14 year old to have a double mastectomy. These people should be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 5:20 PM

I read a good article today by a non-binary gay man that kind of suggests that the nonsense over gender is fading. In the article, the author admits that the point of the whole pronoun thing is to confuse people, and now that people are more respectful of people's personal pronouns, there's no fun in it. The bourgeoisie just isn't shocked anymore.

[quote]In this case, starting with some of the most basic elements of the English language: the pronouns he and she. There’s power in sloughing off both of them, and some fun, especially when I see how befuddled the whole thing can make people. There is a certain satisfaction in making this confusion you seem to be having — What box to put Brock in? — your problem, not mine. I’ve thought enough about it.

The whole article feels like a confessional exercise. It doesn't just say the quiet part out loud, it screams it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2022 5:36 PM

Sadly it probably won't be a fad. We have forgot about the Ying and the yang. A man can never be a woman and a woman can never be a man.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2022 5:38 PM

I would not take that bet, OP.

I just knew the sagging pants fad would've died out a decade ago, but it's still going strong, at least in the Deep South.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2022 6:42 PM

The pendulum will do what the pendulum does.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2022 6:51 PM

Sagging pants don't create horrific lifelong medical complications, R31. There are no real consequences (apart from aesthetic) to wearing your pants around your knees.

I agree that class action lawsuits will signal the end of this madness.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 8:45 PM

I'm surprised it's persisted so long. But like some posters mentioned: I think the lawsuits will turn the tide.

I imagine that social historians in 50 or 60 years will look back on the late 2010s and early 2020s and try to figure out what compelled so many physically healthy young women to have their breasts surgically removed -- while a segment of the population cheered them on ("gender-affirming surgery"). I mean, I think it seems less shocking to us now (as a society) because we're living through it. But it really is ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote]There’s power in sloughing off both of them, and some fun, especially when I see how befuddled the whole thing can make people. There is a certain satisfaction in making this confusion you seem to be having — What box to put Brock in? — your problem, not mine. I’ve thought enough about it.

JFC, what a narcissistic psychopath. No one GAF what this dumb POS ID's as. Such delusion that he thinks anyone is interested enough to puzzle it out or put him in any box. We simply avoid people like this at all costs and pretend they don't exist.....because they don't for anyone who lives in the real world. That's the the thing that makes their heads explode. Being ignored.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2022 10:34 PM

Back in the 80s kids were convinced by adults that they'd been the victims of Satanist sexual predators. The kids told authorities elaborate tales of abuse that all turned out to be elaborate fictions made up to please who were absolutely convinced the kids had been abused. People went on tv and wrote books where they falsely claimed to have taken part in satanic rituals and sacrificed children. The whole 'satanic panic' moral panic was a criminal farce that destroyed families and even sent innocent people to prison.

Also back in the 80s, thousands of women were convinced by their therapists and friends that they'd been sexually abused by family members, even though they had no memory of it ever happening. The whole 'recovered memory' movement was a social contagion that destroyed families and even sent innocent people to prison. Once the fad passed, women who'd previously accused their family members of abuse recanted and sued their therapists for malpractice.

Also back in the 80s, attention-seeking people with mental problems began proclaiming they were actually multiple personalities. They were aided and abetted in their delusions by therapists, who wrote papers on the topic and, of course, made a pretty good living by 'treating' people they'd diagnosed with this alleged disorder. 'Multiple personalities' was just a fad leaped on by Cluster B's looking for attention any way they could get it.

The current gender/trans fad is just more of the same, and those of us old enough to be around in the 80s know it, because we've been through this before. Once the fad passes, people who have been persuaded to go through irreversible treatments will recant, demonstration, and sue the medical professionals who did permanent harm. I won't be surprised if some of the younger victims end up suing their parents and schools as well.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2022 11:46 PM

will recant and DETRANSITION. Damn you autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2022 11:49 PM

gender is a social construct with no biological basis, as is race. I think race is the next thing....people will begin to identify as other races...like that Rachel whatever her name is. Personally, I welcome it - I think we need to evolve beyond race, gender and sexuality - people should express themselves as they feel comfortable with, and also love whom they choose and not be bound by these silly constructs......

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2022 11:53 PM

What people, R38? The people of the future who won't exist? Sex is binary. Sorry. If the two sexes don't procreate because everyone is busy having relationships with animals and inanimate objects or they're rendered sterile because they've mutilated themselves, there will be no human race to "evolve" into your Utopian ideal.

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2022 11:58 PM

biological sex, first of all, is not binary as evidenced by inter-sexed individuals. secondly biological sex and gender are two separate things. who said the future would be utopian? Just as we graduated from thinking there were gods responsible for the weather, and day and night and everything else - science will reveal the truth and we will evolve.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2022 1:14 AM

R40 How is the rare occurrence of biological sex abnormalities related to gender identity? They are distinct phenomenon. Also such abnormalities do not render biological sex non-binary as binary based biological sex was evolutionary produced p to further reproduction and possesses evolutionary advantage. The binary nature of sex is necessary for that type of reproduction. It is so widespread because it is so successful and of course we mammals are characterized by it.

ARE YOU LIKE 14 YEARS OLD?

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2022 1:50 AM

More like 4 years old.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2022 1:56 AM

Sex is NOT binary! Geez, do you even know what non-binary means? There are infinite number of sexes.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2022 2:22 AM

R43 is either a troll or stupid

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2022 2:44 AM

The sex of a baby is not assigned it is observed. They use that as an argument and people fall for it. It is not assigned. It is observed. These nutbags change the language to suit them

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2022 2:52 AM

R36 It would be nice to be able to agree with you, however, the world is being turned upside down to accommodate this “fad”. These people are being addressed from the Executive branch.. The federal government is threatening to take action against states that aren’t going along with the trans/pick-your-gender narrative. I was around in the 80s, what’s going on now isn’t the same at all as the examples you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2022 4:32 AM

R43 is definitely trolling.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2022 4:46 AM

I don’t know if it’s a fad, it’s a scene that’s become a fad and there will always be scene kids even when the fad has come and gone. Except it goes more underground because it’s no longer cool, not that it ever was, but it’ll become especially uncool at a certain point.

Like as a millennial, I’m starting to see the aging emo scene kids who have become adults. Very much reminds me of old people today who still dress like they did when hair metal was a thing in the 80’s. But they’re old and sad now.

So I think it’ll linger but it won’t be a social contagion or as trendy as it is right now.

In the future there will be a few 70 year old purple haired they’s, there just won’t be a lot.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2022 4:49 AM

[quote]but it’ll become especially uncool at a certain point.

I keep waiting for this to happen with tattoos. There are going to be a lot of embarrassed middle aged people in the next few decades.

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2022 4:52 AM

R49 Tattoos have declined with Gen Z. Millennials are the most tattooed generation.

And that’s really interesting because tattoos were like millennials “non-binary” contagion.

I’m 34, when I was in high school, heavy tattoos were for skateboarders, gang members, and like black and Latino / urban / city kids.

It went overboard when the upper white class started getting sleeves and facial tattoos.

I think what’s sad to me is the girls who covered themselves in tattoos to be hot to guys. And vice versa with guys but it’s less awful on guys than girls.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2022 4:58 AM

Gender is a construct and it will always be evolving. My hope is that because of this, people will stop using gender as an identity when they realize we are constantly going from one gender label to another. It's tedious and unnecessary, for the most part.

I think many young people will realize that whatever label you give yourself to avoid the label woman and man, will be useless because people will continue to treat you as nothing but a woman or a man. You cannot opt out of male privilege if you are a man, you cannot opt out of misogyny if you are a woman, no matter what you label yourself. The label non-binary or agender will not hide the fact that you are a man or a woman. You will be privileged or discriminated against due to your sex. It is what it is until we confront the inherent sexism in our culture.

There will always be trans people due to their gender dysphoria not lessening unless they transition. However, their numbers will drop as gender roles become less rigid. It's inevitable. I also believe that transitioning will lessen as the current generation of trans people age - the consequences of life long medical treatment for gender dysphoria will become apparent and they will not be pretty or easy to manage. To be trans is to be a lifelong medical patient. That's not me being transphobic, it's simply the truth. It is nothing like being Gay.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2022 6:55 PM

i dont know what to tell you R41. I am a biologist and have training in this area gender (e.g girls wear lipstick and dresses and boys were blue and dont ever cry) is made up. we invented it. just because you have a penis doesnt mean you have to wear blue - unless you want to. why on earth do you care so much what other people want to do?

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2022 8:25 PM

Not so soon because there is money to be made. Cosmetic surgeons specifically can make a big buck (almost every practitioner now broadened his portfolio to include facial feminisation surgery) and for big pharma, turning a healthy person into a sick person who needs a lifelong, constant supply of hormones - with known side effects that need to be treated as well - is a goldmine, especially when the community (= we all) are paying for it. That's why they are simultaneously pushing for the costs of cosmetic procedures and the costs for the butchery to be shouldered by the public (see the thread in the link.)

Almost every big company is on the diversity train now and they can't just drop it. The tide in the population is turning thanks to obnoxious people like Lia Thomas, but many stay silent because we found out it's useless to argue against people with an ideology that denies reality. The consequence is a growing disconnect between the population and government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2022 9:48 PM

OP, people said homosexuality was a fad, too

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2022 9:49 PM

R53, the obnoxious people are the freepers who attack Lia Thomas. Same people who fought against gay marriage and gays in the military

The % of trans people is tiny, but you freepers have to pretend otherwise to try to make them look like a threat

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2022 9:50 PM

R52, if you are a biologist you would recognize that I was talking about biological sex, which someone was holding was not binary. As a biologist what is your expertise on the topic of gender, that is more of a topic for a social scientist.

You are not a biologist.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2022 9:53 PM

[quote] The federal government is threatening to take action against states that aren’t going along with the trans/pick-your-gender narrative.

It seems like it could be a violation of freedom of expression / freedom of speech rights issue. Gender - although it typically corresponds to sex - does not necessarily correspond to sex in all circumstances. Nobody is trying to force you to change your gender R46 stop being silly, but you’re trying to deny people the freedom to determine their own gender. Therefore it does seem like there would be federal interest in it. It’s interfering in the private individual’s ability to determine their own course in life. It’s none of your business.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2022 10:00 PM

r54 I'm not OP, but the current trans movement IS a fad.

There have always been people who wanted to dress and live as the opposite sex, just as there have always been men who had sex with other men. The numbers of both of these groups are probably more or less constant across times and places. What changes is how a given society views this behavior, how much of it they're willing to tolerate, how it's framed culturally, etc. Edward II of England was gay, but the problem wasn't so much he was having sex with men; it was that he had favorites and it threatened political stability. Sodomy was a decidedly political crime in Renaissance Florence.

What we're seeing right now is not people who want to dress and live as the opposite gender, though. Not essentially. That's not really what the current fad is about.

Healthy young women getting mastectomies? People changing pronouns on a whim? These are manifestations of a fad.

I suppose one thing you could argue, though, is that misogyny is not a fad, and a lot of the movement is rooted in sexism.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2022 10:55 PM

I was assigned human at birth. But I identify as a baked good.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2022 11:04 PM

However long it took for hippy, punk, grunge, goth, and emo to go away.

These are literally the same group of teens in Gen Z form.

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2022 11:22 PM

Seriously, tell me these aren't the same kids lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2022 11:25 PM

Yeah but hippy, punk goth grunge fads - didn’t involve puberty blockers and mastectomies.

Maybe tattoos, cutting and heroin addictions. But those seem like child’s play compared to today!

Hoping for this trend to phase out soon.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2022 11:36 PM

It's the internet's fault r62. It gave the gender cultists (who've always existed) easy access to this specific cohort of teens who, let's be real, were always trying to find themselves and were thus, vulnerable to manipulate into a full blown identity crisis.

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2022 11:54 PM

R58 It’s rooted in sexism and homophobia. It’s mostly based in self-hatred, hating being a woman or hating being gay / lesbian.

But the irony is the movement hates men. Straight cis men are evil and privileged.

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2022 12:49 AM

The tide is turning now - it's sad that it took sports for it to happen though.

In the next couple of years we will be hearing from the mutilated, and now probably sterilised, teens that have grown out of the phase and are bitterly detransitioning. Then there'll be lawsuits. I think that will do it in for good but hopefully won't take us down with it.

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2022 12:54 AM

Damn when trans teens get older, have no sex life, busted sex parts, weird puberty voice and whatever else is irreversible plus maybe even hormonally induced cancer, what will become of their relationships with their tolerant, progressive and supportive parents (abusers) ?

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2022 4:11 PM

That's already happening. Watch the documentary, "What is a Woman". A trans-man is profiled who bitterly regrets transing. Says she doesn't think she'll live longer than 5 years (she's middle aged) due to many health issues from years of hormones (T) and surgery (continuous infections).

by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2022 4:49 PM

I snark the fuck out of woman erasing tra activists but the thought of vulnerable teens (all teens are vulnerable) being manipulated into ruining their bodies and health- it’s sad. My heart hurts for the gay teens in particular.

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote]R28 …some evil fucking adults who think it's ok for a 14 year old to have a double mastectomy.

Teens are getting implants quite early now, so if they want, they’ll have bigger and better boobs in no time. (And no future risk of breast cancer.)

by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2022 5:30 PM

[quote]R50 What’s sad to me is the girls who covered themselves in tattoos to be hot to guys. And vice versa with guys but it’s less awful on guys than girls.

Okay, Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 70June 25, 2022 5:36 PM

R66 they'll be like Jazz Jennings. While siblings go off and create their own lives, the trans kid will remain at home and then become the caretaker for the parents when they get old and sick.

by Anonymousreply 71June 25, 2022 5:39 PM

[quote] Teens are getting implants quite early now, so if they want, they’ll have bigger and better boobs in no time.

How? Their skin is taunt now against their body. There’s no skin left for implants.

by Anonymousreply 72June 25, 2022 5:46 PM

I don't think it will really turn 180 until the regretful teens realise the community that encouraged them to transition will shut them down when they try and talk about detransitioning. Then they will really see what a pile of garbage this whole situation is and that they were just pawns of the TRAS.

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2022 11:47 PM

[quote]I snark the fuck out of woman erasing tra activists

Wait, what? Women are erasing trans activists?

by Anonymousreply 74June 26, 2022 7:30 AM

Lol sorry, bad writing. Trans activists who seem hellbent on erasing real women…and real gays.

by Anonymousreply 75June 26, 2022 8:28 PM

^^ ^^ I think you’re overreacting, Miss Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 76June 26, 2022 10:45 PM

Its a sign that life is easy when all we have to worry about is people being Sooo fricking offended by NOTHING. i will call them he or she NEVER THEY OR THEM.

by Anonymousreply 77June 26, 2022 11:06 PM

[quote]R77 Its a sign that life is easy

You sound resentful. Wouldn’t we wish that for all?

by Anonymousreply 78June 27, 2022 12:59 AM

On DL, at any rate, the only posts I see with an agenda in re: non-binary/trans issues are those against them. If anti-trans people didn't post those views here, the issue would scarcely come up, as far as I can tell.

Makes me wonder how much of that traffic is bot-driven. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 79June 27, 2022 1:05 AM

These trannies must realize that once they have transitioned, they have revolting, mashed up genitalia. No one in their right mind would want to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 80June 27, 2022 1:13 AM

^^ isn’t it rather odd that you’ve closely studied so many sets of trans genitals?

I don’t think anyone else here even knows what they look like.

by Anonymousreply 81June 27, 2022 6:23 AM

There are pics all over the net. Trannies love showing off their surgeries.

by Anonymousreply 82June 27, 2022 8:03 AM

You seek these pictures out?

I can’t even imagine being interested. Let alone obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 83June 28, 2022 2:34 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 84July 10, 2022 6:18 PM

r56 I just don't agree with you at all. I am very much a biologists - granted not evolutionary, not reproductive - but have enough training to understand and learn about all aspects of life science - biological sex is non-binary as evidenced by inter-sexed people. gender is a social construct, as is race. these are facts supported by solid evidence - you certainly have a right to your own opinion, and prejudice, but you don't have a right to your own facts.

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2022 8:36 PM

I give it 10 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2022 8:38 PM

R85 Being “intersex” is a disorder. It’s not a normal variation.

by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2022 8:49 PM

[quote] i will call them he or she NEVER THEY OR THEM.

Lol R77.

“I WILL NEVER CALL THEM THEM” 🥴🥴🥴

by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2022 8:50 PM

R85, if you truly are a "reproductive biologist", you must know that ALL intersex conditions affect either one or the other sex, never both, and that ALL intersex people are either male or female. Why are you lying?

You are correct that gender is a social construct. Sex, however, is not.

by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2022 8:56 PM

I love how the conservative drag queen at R14 blames only straight women for taking their kids to drag queen readings. Guess the hot straight dads get a pass in MAGA world! Oh who am I kidding. They get a pass for us too.

As far as the question, I think the trendiness will die down. At least I hope it does. I want it to go back to how it was before: A relatively rare occurrence that we should all empathize with and respect. The fact that so many people are now trans is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 90July 13, 2022 10:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!