Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jo Van Fleet, Actress on Broadway, Film and Television that span over 40 years...

Any eldergays expertise and in the know info about our Jo Van Fleet?

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 2:06 AM

JVF played James Dean's mother in East of Eden...

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 8:55 PM

She was in I'll Cry Tomorrow with Susan Hayward..

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 8:56 PM

Have a friend who’s been a waiter in NYC for 35 years. Told me a soused JVF came into the restaurant where he worked at the time (late 1980s), sat at a table by herself, removed her coat, and revealed that she had neglected to put on clothing. Happily sat there in her bra and panties until the manager got her to cover up.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 9:49 PM

Notorious pussyhound. Big Reagan supporter.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 9:54 PM

she's very funny in I Love You Alice B Toklas (1968) and The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (1971)

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2022 9:57 PM

You know that urban legend about the actress who, when asked in the checkout line at the supermarket to produce identification, reached into her purse and slammed her Academy Award on the counter? To me it resonates best if told about Jo van Fleet.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2022 10:39 PM

Miss Fleet wasn't fleet in the face.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2022 10:47 PM

[quote]You know that urban legend about the actress who, when asked in the checkout line at the supermarket to produce identification, reached into her purse and slammed her Academy Award on the counter?

Nope, Ortrud.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 1:17 AM

Winning...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 1:17 AM

Sadly, she’s passed.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 1:19 AM

E of E

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 1:22 AM

She studied at the Actors Studio, and could take the Method to its extreme. Kirk Douglas remembered that when they shot "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral," "Jo wanted to be pumped up before she did a scene. She asked me to slap her. I whacked her. They did the scene over and over, never quite right. Every time, she came to me and ask me to hit her. And hit her harder. And I hauled off and whacked her. And her head spun. She shook her head and went and played the scene. Well, she got the performance. It was a take."

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 1:46 AM

Helen Lawson's mother...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 1:49 AM

R9 R11 East of Eden was her first film and James Dean who played her son in the film had already died by the time she received the Oscar. She outlived Dean by 4 decades

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 2:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!