Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Someone gave me a Moroccan ceramic tagine pot

Any secrets to using it? I think the person who gave it to me used it for ornamental use. I'd like to try it but have never cooked a Moroccan dish. Does it need to be seasoned first?

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 11:53 PM

I’ve only used a Le Creuset tagine, which has a ceramic topic but a cast iron bottom.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 7:19 PM

I seasoned mine first. Also, I use a heat diffuser so the ceramic doesn't crack from heat. I had to watch a lot of YouTube to find some fairly easy recipes to get me started.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 7:35 PM

It may just be decorative. You can use it to serve food, but I wouldn’t actually cook in it unless it indicates that it is flame- or ovenproof.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 8:10 PM

I thought of that R2. I have electric (boo!) so I figure it needs to be off the burner.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 8:20 PM

R1, I have both large and regular size LC tagines; I've only ever used the large one, for some Moroccan chicken recipe or other.

But I think the design, though pretty cool looking, has a major flaw: no handles on the cone top. Very slippery and difficult to lift (and of course heavy; it's LC, duh!) once cooking commences.

I wouldn't recommend.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2022 1:57 AM

Leave it with me. I season it real good for you.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 2:03 AM

Moroccan food is good to look at and well presented but pretty mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 6:02 AM

I have one of those Creuset tagines, bot couldn’t figure out what it does different from a Dutch oven, and r5 is right about the cone.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!