Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rolling Stone article on Nicolette Larson

She only had one top 10 hit, but seemed destined to be a big star but it never happened for her, despite being friends with and working with some of the biggest stars of the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 12:55 AM

Great Article! "Lotta Love" is a Classic

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 3:16 PM

But couldn't anyone have sung that? Her voice seemed a little weak and trembly. And you have to have Madonna-level ambition to claw your way to success. Most don't have what it takes.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 3:39 PM

I'm very familiar with "Lotta Love" but was totally unfamiliar with Larson's life and career. Thanks for sharing, OP, I found the article really interesting and spent some time learning more online.

She certainly won the hair lottery, her hair is gorgeous. So sad she died so young, leaving behind a 7 year old daughter and husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 4:08 PM

So if you look in my direction

And we don't see eye to eye

You've got an erection

And so do I-I-I-I-I.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 4:26 PM

Fascinating that her ex-husband wrote Queen of Hearts about her, which then became a hit for Juice Newton.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2022 5:35 PM

This makes me want to take another listen to Neil Young's Harvest Moon. I didn't know she and Linda R. sang back up on it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2022 6:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2022 6:13 PM

One of my sisters had her Lotta Love album. I've always remembered the French Waltz song on it. I was a sucker for schmaltz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 6:23 PM

There was a big tribute concert for her in LA in the ‘90s that was recorded. Bonnie Raitt did a great cover of “Cold, Cold. Cold” by Little Feat.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote] “It’s got to be so different for a female in this business, especially back then, and that’s all I’ll say on that,” Steve Wariner, who duetted with Larson on the country hit “That’s How You Know When Love’s Right,” tells Rolling Stone. “She’s one of the best-kept secrets in music. The world should know her.”

What was he saying? Either spell it out or STFU. I'm guessing he's saying that she was fucking a lot of the people in the music industry.

I don't think she would have been so popular with other musicians if she hadn't been attractive. Also, seems like she did get tons of chances to have further hits after "Lotta Love."

Liver damage at 45. I'm guessing she was an alcoholic.

That said, her gift seemed to be harmonizing (vocals).

Still, an interesting RS article. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2022 9:28 PM

She was a good backup singer but I thought she was mediocre as a lead singer.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2022 9:31 PM

[quote] Fascinating that her ex-husband wrote Queen of Hearts about her, which then became a hit for Juice Newton.

Juice Newton had a hit with it but Dave Edmunds did a much better version of it. Her version was silly and trifling.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2022 9:36 PM

Thanks for posting that article OP. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2022 10:42 PM

Linda Ronstadt sounds like an awesome and loyal friend.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 12:54 AM

[quote] Linda Ronstadt sounds like an awesome and loyal friend.

She was a good friend to Phoebe Snow, too. Snow had a severely handicapped daughter who she took care of pretty much on her own. After her daughter died Snow was despondent. Ronstadt called her and asked what she was going to do and Snow told her "cry and sleep." And Ronstadt said yes, but what else? She convinced Snow to get back in the music business, get back to singing and making music and doing shows. It was very encouraging, positive advice. Snow had a unique, one of a kind voice. Tragically she too died relatively young, at only 60 years of age.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2022 12:51 AM

Judging by the hair and eyebrows, I bet she was thigh-to-thigh shag.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2022 12:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!