Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Did People Start Getting Emotional Support Animals?

I don’t remember this crap 20 years ago. The blind were the ones with support animals.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 7:29 AM

I can remember a friend doing it like 7 years ago.

She was moving and went to some less than reputable doctor who wrote a note for her so she could transport the dog.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2022 7:46 AM

I had a goat

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2022 8:03 AM

My cat is my emotional support animal. I tell him all my worries, and he looks at me with total indifference, which is at least realistic.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2022 8:09 AM

It saves money since you don’t have to pay extra for travel or housing for the pet.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2022 8:39 AM

When the Feds imposed this rule on airlines:

"You must not deny transportation to a service animal on the basis that its carriage may offend or annoy carrier personnel or persons traveling on the aircraft."

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2022 8:48 AM

Elizabeth had Sugar so this has been a thing for decades..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2022 9:34 AM

He fucked that goat.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2022 10:34 AM

Blind people have working animals not support animals.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 11:51 AM

I brought my dog all the way from South America as an emotional support animal. I just paid a psychologist in Brazil to give me a certificate stating that I needed her as emotional support to fly. All the other passengers loved her and when she arrived she skipped right through customs and immigration without having to show any papers.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2022 11:59 AM

"The blind ones were the ones with support animals."

OP, please crawl up Trump's asshole and die. Blind people have guide dogs.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2022 12:04 PM

Also, to have a pet in an apt/condo that does not allow pets. Better to move in or sign lease first though! Then say you have something like anxiety etc and get a note from your therapist/psychiatrist on letterhead. Register animal - done. Two of my friends did it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2022 12:07 PM

R11 but your friends still have to pay pet fees, the apartment figured out long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2022 12:39 PM

When they figured out it was a great way to tug the chains of angry jerks like you OP.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2022 12:40 PM

Have you been in a coma the past ten years, OP? This isn't anything new.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2022 12:41 PM

EVERY pet is a support animal.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2022 12:42 PM

Yes and they are fine with that to keep their pets. Even places that allow pets have fees.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2022 12:45 PM

It's just another fad for the mentally feeble. Just like 99% of all so-called transsexuals who've suddenly come out of the woodwork. It's all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2022 12:47 PM

Because they can abuse disability law to circumvent pet rules.

“No dogs? $500 dog fee? No one wants my nanny Pittie in their building?” No problem. Here’s a letter I got online from some LCSW in Alaska for $75, and per federal law I can’t be charged any fees or denied my dog due to my “disability.”

I love my dog but the abuse of disability law is retarded.

This is why I don’t want the Feds to decriminalize weed. Landlords right now can enforce smoking bans (even in states that legalize it) because of Fed prohibition. Once that lifts we’ll be flooded with “It’s my MEDICINE maaaan” and everywhere indoors will reek of pot.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2022 12:47 PM

Because they can abuse disability law to circumvent pet rules.

“No dogs? $500 dog fee? No one wants my nanny Pittie in their building?” No problem. Here’s a letter I got online from some LCSW in Alaska for $75, and per federal law I can’t be charged any fees or denied my dog due to my “disability.”

I love my dog but the abuse of disability law is retarded.

This is why I don’t want the Feds to decriminalize weed. Landlords right now can enforce smoking bans (even in states that legalize it) because of Fed prohibition. Once that lifts we’ll be flooded with “It’s my MEDICINE maaaan” and everywhere indoors will reek of pot.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2022 12:49 PM

You better not come for my emotional support wolverine

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2022 12:54 PM

And Liz had Nibbles before Sugar!

Nibbles & Me ( Elizabeth Taylors Pet Chipmunk)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2022 1:25 PM

R7 He fucked you too Abel and then he killed you, which I would know since not only was i there, but I told him to do it!

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2022 1:30 PM

I love emotional support animals. The more the merrier.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2022 1:46 PM

Nipples And Me, a journey of self discovery.

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2022 2:03 PM

Only Snow Flakes have ESA!

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2022 2:25 PM

[quote] Have you been in a coma the past ten years, OP? This isn't anything new.

Learn how to read, retard.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2022 7:26 AM

Fran Lebowitz ripped these people to shreds saying that adults are now babies and they should be given teddy bears, not animals.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2022 7:29 AM

[quote] OP, please crawl up Trump's asshole and die. Blind people have guide dogs.

They support blind people, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2022 7:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!