Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ben Barnes covers Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer

It’s a decent cover but why does he make those faces when he sings?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2022 3:40 AM

Because he’s an ACTOR.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2022 6:13 PM

This song requires horns.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2022 2:09 PM

He doesn't really know what the song is about, does he?

He's singing the words but nothing is connecting him to the song.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2022 2:11 PM

you've heard of method actors, he's singer version. He's trying to emote it. He's having fun, OP. He might have cofnused the space for his shower.

but I'd agree, he's too disconnected from ithe song.

It seems r3 he really doesn't connect to any song. I went thru and watched others from the set, he improves slightly but it's the same disconnect.

He's very flamboyant (as in flashy) in his vocal stylings... but it's all over the place.

I don't even think getting firm music direction would help. I don't want to say he's bad (horrible, horrible, horrible.) but it seems like he's extending himself far outside of his own reach. And my honest thought is he needs singing lessons and to work his way up to singing with a band. . . and probably not that one. They're overshadowing his tonal quality and he's coming off flat.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2022 2:59 PM

^ the problem follows to multiple songs... he's not as bad with just just a keyboard. But he runs into the problem, again, where his voice is weaker than the keyboard. I have to wonder if he's able to hear himself or if he relies on the music. neosoul seems to be his favored genre but there's a reason why male neosoul singers are far and few. What makes it bad isn't his voice. He has a nice voice but his control is just lacking. He's overpowed by the music and just a mess everywhere else. Which makes it worse than being an outright bad singer because a bad singer can can improve. . . his audience seems to be made up with people that worship him as an actor. so, he's likely to be deluded and continue perfecting his bad habits.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2022 3:32 PM

He sucks.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2022 3:38 PM

I don’t want to watch someone singing a song making faces like they are dropping a chipotle-sized turd.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2022 3:39 PM

Fruhuhuhuit!

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2022 5:51 AM

he seems disconnected because he’s singing about 😺 when he really wanted to be singing about 🍆

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] It’s a decent cover

It absolutely the fuck is not.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2022 8:36 AM

He needn't have bothered.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2022 8:38 AM

Back in the day Joe Cocker would have epileptic fits when he sang. Perhaps Ben Barnes is trying to channel him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2022 9:26 AM

John Mayer makes stupid faces when he plays the guitar too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2022 9:29 AM

That was horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2022 9:53 AM

[quote] singing a song making faces like they are dropping a chipotle-sized turd.

He thinks that's what "The Blues" is all about.

He didn't suffer the agony of picking cotton so he mimics that suffering by re-enacting a very painful bowel movement.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2022 10:10 AM

He would be great on Broadway where he has a script to dramatize

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2022 1:44 AM

He's technically quite proficient, but there's very little personality in his delivery. It's all in the face, rather than in the voice.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2022 2:06 AM

The second place looking sister from HAIM also makes stupid faces while playing bass, and leans into it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2022 2:23 AM

He’s enjoying the fuck out of three good tricks - none would survive nightly abuse.

Also, Peter Gabriel used more of those notes in a higher octave. He had a distinctive call that begs for mimicry, so I’m not offended.

I do believe 82.3% of gay vocalists (under the age of 40) could perform this song as well or better.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2022 3:01 AM

[quote] He's technically quite proficient

Compared to what? He's average in every respect. Messy uninspired runs, runaway uncontrolled vibrato, goes flat pretty regularly, seems to have no idea what he's singing about. He's beyond average. Peter Gabriel has a huge powerful range of which he has a great deal of control; Benny's not even holding a candle here.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2022 3:29 AM

I wanna fuck the keyboardist; I don't give a shit about the cover.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2022 3:31 AM

Great song. Awful attempt at a cover. Weirdly flat and does not connect in a single way.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2022 3:38 AM

Agreed. It was also weirdly sexless and missing all of the playful raunch of the original.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2022 3:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!