Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the best part of "The Birds"?

You've seen it--please answer honestly.

by Anonymousreply 170June 26, 2022 3:14 PM

Hard to choose. Although I would add the scene when Tippi wakes up after being rescued from the room where she was attacked by the birds, and instinctively claws at the air out of fear.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2022 5:29 PM

My cameo.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2022 5:31 PM

The ending was pretty fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2022 5:35 PM

I wish I had had room to have included that, r1!

Also, the way Angela Cartwright in the car says "And... [italic]they covered her....[/italic]" when she describes Suzanne Pleshette's self-sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2022 5:39 PM

Doesn't she dial the telephone with a pencil???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2022 5:45 PM

Sorry: VERONICA Cartwright, not Angela Cartwright!

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2022 5:55 PM

I like the phone booth scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2022 5:56 PM

The whole Attack on Bodega Bay (including the car explosion and the phone booth scene) is an absolute masterpiece. I especially love the iconic "bird's eye view" shot from high above as the gulls swoop down with the town and burning gas station below. Epic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2022 6:16 PM

I don't think it's an "absolute masterpiece," r8, because it's marred by the ridiculous three frozen shots of 'Tippi' turning in different directions intercut with the shots of the flames racing up from the flowing gas to the gas pumps. What the hell did Hitchcock think he was doing there?

Otherwise I think it's a great scene. I love the shot of the lady ornithologist cowering in the hallway after the attack.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2022 6:26 PM

I also love the scene where the birds are attacking the outside of Mitch's house and Jessica Tandy flutters about helplessly inside the living room, like a trapped bird herself.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote]it's marred by the ridiculous three frozen shots of 'Tippi' turning in different directions intercut with the shots of the flames racing up from the flowing gas to the gas pumps

That is one of my favorite sections of the whole scene! I think it perfectly captures a type of perception that can occur in emergencies -- that time freezes and/or slows down while still racing ahead. (Note that the shots themselves aren't "frozen"; only Tippi is. The people around her continue to move.) And the editing effectively mimics the rhythms of the sharp, pecking bird attacks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2022 6:48 PM

I love the scene near the beginning when Tippi goes to drop off the love birds at Rod Taylor's apartment and encounters his bitchy neighbor, Richard Deacon. He gives her the gay stink-eye and basically tells her to 'move it along, toots.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2022 6:53 PM

Purely superficial reasons ala Tippi and Annie: Rod Taylor's hot body. Nice phat ass under that suit.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2022 7:01 PM

What i want to know is, at what point, when and what made Hitchcock say, "Hmm, this will make a good film... I'll do it."

I mean, you read the story and love it but it does not exactly leap off the page as easily filmable. Like say, Rebecca is. This was pre CGI of course. The visual story is the birds, hundreds, thousands of these critters who aren't exactly tameable in the way dogs are. The imaginative balls of Hitchcock.

Any film scholars know or care to surmise?

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2022 7:02 PM

I love the fact that we never found out what set the birds off.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2022 7:14 PM

I first saw this on the late movie when I was about 8yo in 1972, this film made me a Hitchcock fan. Rod Taylor was my hot daddy ideal in my head at that age as well, beefy, hairy chest, manly. Yum Yum!!

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2022 7:54 PM

I can't choose - I love every bit of it - even the parts that have nothing to do with the birds themselves, like the extent to which Melanie Daniels will go for a practical joke on a perfect stranger who stung her in a pet shop, or the borderline sociopathy exhibited by Lydia Brenner in her desire to keep Mitch all to herself. There's fantastic moments, like the pair of caged lovebirds swaying with the motion of Melanie's car, and the smartassed smirk on Melanie's face just a second before the first gull hits her; the first sparrow on the hearth, Melanie says, "Mitch," and then a furious swarm of them fly out of the chimney. Lydia unable to speak to the guy outside the house after finding her neighbor, then burning down the road in her pickup truck; only once she's made it inside the house does she permit herself to start sobbing. And this, followed by her sob of rage at seeing Melanie there.

Great stuff.

"๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐ป๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘›๐‘–๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,

๐‘๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ฆ ๐‘›๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ฆ, ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘ž๐‘ข๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,

๐‘Š๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค."

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2022 8:52 PM

The crows silently congregating on the playground while Tippi sits with her back turned, smoking.

I remember that first sparrow on the hearth scene. Then a flood of birds comes down the chimney and you have 5 minutes of absolute chaos, then the abrupt cut to the aftermath. A policeman standing there holding a dead bird and he says something like, "Yeah, that's a sparrow." The audience always cracks up at his line.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote]please answer honestly.

Have DLers answered dishonestly in previous Hitchcock threads?

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2022 11:07 PM

"Risseldy Rosseldy"

(fast-forward to 2:28, in case the link doesn't do it)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2022 11:15 PM

Cartwright seemed more like Taylor's daughter than his sister

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2022 11:21 PM

Fun Fact, R6 (and R21): Veronica Cartwright went on to play Lambert, first (or was it second) victim of Alien.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2022 11:27 PM

I was looking for the option where Cardinal Ralph de Bricassart lifted his ruby cleric robes to expose his large, throbbing manhood, and then realized that was The Thorn Birdsโ€ฆ

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2022 11:40 PM

I can't remember what Annie asks Melanie as she's leaving when she first drives up to her house. Maybe if she was planning on staying in Bodega Bay or going to Mitch's. Melanie stops before getting into her car and replies with a cunty "yes" along with a bitchy gaze. Always cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2022 11:47 PM

The more and more I think about it, I think The Birds may be my favourite Hitchcock movie. I have a soft spot for Rear Window and Shadow of a Doubt, but there's something about The Birds that always draws me back in.

I think it is the fact that there is no explanation, and does Melanie bring all this evil energy with her?

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2022 11:48 PM

'Tippi' Hedren was as hopeless, useless and synthetic as Gumby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2022 11:52 PM

The entire movie....but I always liked the old man at the dnd of the bar who keeps saying, "It's the end of the world!"

Plus: Darlene Conley (Sally Spectra from The Bold & The Beautiful) was the waitress

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2022 11:57 PM

The vacant parking spot in front of the pet store in downtown San Francisco

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2022 11:58 PM

[quote]there's something about The Birds that always draws me back in.

The Birds is one of those movie universes I would love to live in. Well without the whole birds attacking everyone part, of course.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2022 12:00 AM

Melanie's nightgown, lol. I always found Tandy and Taylor's mother/son relationship creepy.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2022 12:06 AM

[quote]the old man at the dnd of the bar who keeps saying, "It's the end of the world!"

That man would go on to found Walnut Grove on TV 10 years after The Birds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2022 12:08 AM

R28. Doris Day must have just driven out of it.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2022 12:09 AM

The location. rest of the film? Meh.... Fun trivia: on one of the older "Roseanne"s, Darlene wore a Chanel sheath dress, a blonde wig and 3 huge stuffed seagulls attached to her at different spots for Halloween. Brilliant!!

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2022 12:10 AM

It really is a bizarre film.

How did 75-year-old Jessica Tandy have a 9-year-old daughter? And a 40-year-old son, too?

And why did Angela Cartwright seem so incredibly needy and, let's say, special needs when it came to Melanie?

And what did set off the birds?

I wish Hitchcock had ended it the way he wanted to, with a shot of Taylor's car making it to San Francisco - only to see the Golden Gate Bridge completely covered with the nefarious birds.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2022 12:18 AM

The Birds is Hitchcock's commentary that a beautiful, sensuous and striking woman is more threatening than killer birds.

Lydia is more threatened by Melanie than by the birds.

Twenty-four years after the Birds, Veronica's character in The Witches of Eastwick, Felicia, would be calling Melanie "WHORE!!!"

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2022 12:22 AM

Jessica was 54 when that movie was made. Veronica Cartwright was 14. The math works. In the movie her character was 11, so the math still works. She was just a change of life baby - give or take a year or two.

She had Mitch when she was a teen and Cathy in her 40s.

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote]What i want to know is, at what point, when and what made Hitchcock say, "Hmm, this will make a good film... I'll do it." I mean, you read the story and love it but it does not exactly leap off the page as easily filmable. Like say, Rebecca is. This was pre CGI of course. The visual story is the birds, hundreds, thousands of these critters who aren't exactly tameable in the way dogs are. The imaginative balls of Hitchcock. Any film scholars know or care to surmise?

The Daphne du Maurier story was anthologized in one of those "Hitchcock Presents" books with which he really had little to do, and he read it and did some digging and learned no one had adapted yet, although there had been interest from various parties for radio or television. What was appealing to him was the idea of a threat from something most of us see all the time and don't think much about. These are not huge birds of prey; they're just sparrows and crows and such. And the way they're behaving has no logical explanation.

Psycho had been a big hit and was terrifying to a lot of people in 1960, so it was a good followup to that.

The filmability of the story as written wouldn't have troubled him at all. He always took a free hand with source material. The film of Rebecca is as faithful as it is because of David O. Selznick's insistence. Had Hitchcock had everything his own way, it would have been very different. (In that particular case, I'm actually glad Selznick micromanaged. It's a great Hollywood film as is, a good meeting of very different temperaments. I don't like much of what Hitchcock reportedly wanted to do to make it his own.)

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] The Birds is Hitchcock's commentary that a beautiful, sensuous and striking woman is more threatening than killer birds.

That might have been an interesting premise for a intense drama. And it might have displayed more of Hitchcock's pathetic worshiping of frigid blondes.

But the project is completely undermined by the disastrous choice of this bland plastic female who had the vocal and thespian powers as thisโ€”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2022 12:36 AM

R37 he must have consulted with a bird wrangler first to check how birds can be managed for a shoot. The studio would've required it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote]And why did Angela Cartwright seem so incredibly needy and, let's say, special needs when it came to Melanie?

Itโ€™s Veronica! And her character was a budding Karen based on her dialogue. Not surprising given her mother but Iโ€™ve always wished Annie had survived and this little brat had been bird food.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2022 1:11 AM

Another aspect that grabbed attention at the time it was released was Hitchcockโ€™s ad campaign: โ€œThe birds is coming!โ€ on huge billboards all over the U.S. it caused tremendous scandal and debate.

Made a lot of people go out of curiosity.

(Though Rod Taylor was his handsomest in โ€œThe Time Machineโ€ (1960), he was thicker in โ€œThe Birds,โ€ in both chest and butt, and his chest seemed hairier. He was to appear shirtless in several later movies, but these two ended up being the apogee of his manly beauty.)

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2022 1:12 AM

R41... thank you for the details on taylor! what young gay boy at the time didn't fantasize about taylor's rod?! lol!..

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2022 1:16 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2022 1:19 AM

Bodega Bay, as shot by AH

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2022 1:20 AM

R43... no doubt constant in the sun and drinking too much aussie beer and genetics did him in I guess....

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2022 1:23 AM

May favorite part is the dykey ornithologist at the diner wearing a beret.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2022 1:25 AM

R41 he looks hot in a silly DoDo movie The Glass Bottom Boat where he is seen in a bathing suit

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2022 1:28 AM

-- Hitchcockโ€™s ad campaign: โ€œThe birds is coming!โ€

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2022 1:29 AM

One of the disturbing parts of the ending is Melanie, who was so vivacious, spirited, and full of life throughout the film, is basically zombified by the end as if her wings have been clipped. She is completely catatonic.

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2022 1:29 AM

The look on Annie's face after Melanie drives away, and Annie realizes her hope of getting back with Mitch is slipping away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2022 1:36 AM

[quote] Hitchcockโ€™s ad campaign: โ€œThe birds is coming!โ€ on huge billboards all over the U.S. it caused tremendous scandal and debate.

Among furious grammar queens, like r48 no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2022 1:37 AM

Why couldn't the billboards have splashed "ROD TAYLOR IS COMING!"?....

by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2022 1:39 AM

Suzanne pleshette had quite big tits

by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2022 1:44 AM

Can't believe no one has mentioned the scene where Jessica Tandy goes over to Dan's house; it's pure Hitchcock First she notices the shattered teacups, then she takes a long suspenseful walk down a hall, then she sees the seagull smashed in the glass window and the trashed bedroom, and finally, the quick cuts to Dan and his pecked out eyes....THAT had them screaming in the theaters!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 21, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote] My favorite part is the dykey ornithologist at the diner wearing a beret

An English Hitchcock scholar would be able to tell us that this persona appears in his English movies.

by Anonymousreply 55June 21, 2022 1:52 AM

Suzanne Pleshette lying spread eagle ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜after being attacked

by Anonymousreply 56June 21, 2022 1:59 AM

Itโ€™s one of the poll options, r54, and r17 mentions the aftermath but your summary is perfect. Those pecked out eyes still haunt me. One of the great images of horror cinema, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 57June 21, 2022 2:02 AM

I wonder why Hitch didn't cast Walter Pidgeon or Peter Finch?

by Anonymousreply 58June 21, 2022 2:04 AM

The children in the classroom singing that fucko creepy song:

Lyrics for 'Risseldy, Rosseldy' I married my wife In the month of June, Risseldy, rosseldy, Mow, mow, mow, I carried her off In a silver spoon, Risseldy, Rosseldy, Hey bambassity, Nickety, nackety, Retrical quality, Willowby, wallowby, Mow, mow, mow. She combed her hair But once a year, Risseldy, rosseldy, Mow, mow, mow, With every rake She shed a tear, Risseldy, Rosseldy, Hey bambassity, Nickety, nackety, Retrical quality, Willowby, wallowby, Mow, mow, mow.

She swept the floor But once a year, Risseldy, rosseldy, Mow, mow, mow, She swore her broom Was much to dear, Risseldy, Rosseldy, Hey bambassity, Nickety, nackety, Retrical quality, Willowby, wallowby, Mow, mow, mow

by Anonymousreply 59June 21, 2022 2:06 AM

Tippi watching the carnage from the telephone booth.

by Anonymousreply 60June 21, 2022 2:07 AM

[quote]Have DLers answered dishonestly in previous Hitchcock threads?

Yes they have indeed and it was scandalous, an outrage.

by Anonymousreply 61June 21, 2022 2:08 AM

[quote]Not surprising given her mother but Iโ€™ve always wished Annie had survived and this little brat had been bird food.

Itโ€™s ok pal, I got her in the end!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 21, 2022 2:15 AM

[quote]I especially love the iconic "bird's eye view" shot from high above as the gulls swoop down with the town and burning gas station below. Epic.

A number of years ago, I saw The Birds at a theater that shows old films, and that scene of the birds circling from above and then descending on the town reminded me of WWII films when circling bomber planes attacked allied soldiers.

Given the fact that the movie was made in the early 1960s, I wonder how much of the country's anxiety about the USSR played into the film on some level.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2022 2:33 AM

Suzanne Pleshette's character seemed super lez in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 21, 2022 2:39 AM

[quote] I wonder why Hitch didn't cast Walter Pidgeon or Peter Finch?

I wonder why he cast Plastic Woman?

At least Grace Kelly had meat on her bones but Plastic Woman looks like a carcass.

by Anonymousreply 65June 21, 2022 2:43 AM

R49 - it's also worth noting that it's only when Melanie becomes powerless - when Mitch carries her down the stairs after being assaulted by the birds in that room - that mother Lydia is capable of showing any warmth toward her.

And that affection is returned in the car when (if I remember correctly) Melanie grasps Lydia's arm.

It's at that point Melanie gains a mother, which is important given the comment she makes to Mitch at the children's party about her own mother.

by Anonymousreply 66June 21, 2022 2:44 AM

Another Hitch film where Tippi Hedren plays a character with mommy issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 21, 2022 2:47 AM

Marnie = Painful disaster.

by Anonymousreply 68June 21, 2022 2:49 AM

LOOOOOVE Marnie - wanted to BE that bitch as a young gayling

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2022 3:13 AM

The few moments when Rod take off his jacket so you can see his ass were the best part for me.

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2022 3:17 AM

The scene where Tandy finds the farmer with eyes pecked out. When Tandy drives TO his place, the birds eye view shot shows zero dust from her car. The crew had to wet down the entire road to get this effect .

When Tandy leaves, the viewer sees dust for miles (again birds eye view). Hitchcock used this to demonstrate how terrified she was to drive at such a high Speed home.

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2022 3:18 AM

I refuse to see this movie particularly after reading the description in this post. EGADS.

by Anonymousreply 72June 21, 2022 3:41 AM

Nothing is ever going to beat seeing beautiful Tippi Hedren placidly smoking on the bench while the children sing that ridiculous song inside and then she follows watching one crow to turn around and see hundreds all over the playground equipment. It's a classic cinematic scene not just for this movie but all movies in general. Glad to see it leading (as of now).

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2022 3:53 AM

I, like many others, find the scene with the birds landing on the jungle gym until it's completely covered the most effective. It's a shame Hitchcock couldn't go with his original ending as that would have been similar in tone to the bleak ending of du Maurier's excellent story and also mirrored how, in the story, the birds attacking is a nation-wide rather than isolated phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2022 3:54 AM

[quote]Although I would add the scene when Tippi wakes up after being rescued from the room where she was attacked by the birds, and instinctively claws at the air out of fear.

THIS is the scariest moment for me.

by Anonymousreply 75June 21, 2022 3:59 AM

The Children's birthday party had one big flaw.. Real birds would have been ALL OVER that birthday cake pecking it to crumbs. . Instead they never touched it!

by Anonymousreply 76June 21, 2022 4:01 AM

Obviously, R76, children taste better than cake.

by Anonymousreply 77June 21, 2022 4:04 AM

One of the most perfect scenes in any film, r73 and r74.

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2022 4:08 AM

"it's marred by the ridiculous three frozen shots of 'Tippi' turning in different directions intercut with the shots of the flames racing up from the flowing gas to the gas pumps"

It's called Pudovkian Montage, darling, and it's a staple of film editing,

by Anonymousreply 79June 21, 2022 4:12 AM

"The few moments when Rod take off his jacket so you can see his ass were the best part for me.:

Aussie, you know.

by Anonymousreply 80June 21, 2022 4:44 AM

The Birds is one of my favorite movies. A best part for me is the pet store in the opening scenes. There really was a pet store there on Maiden Lane. I'm from SF and used to go to Maiden Lane as a child with my mother who frequently dragged us downtown to shop in the fabulous stores around Union Square. We always visited the pet store, as I did whenever I went downtown.

There was a small luncheon cafรฉ across the street from the pet store for ladies who shopped. It was upstairs and looked like an English tea shop inside, with servers dressed in kimonos. Once I ordered Welsh rarebit.

Now I live closer to Bodega Bay than downtown SF and part of why I love watching The Birds is seeing the local scenery before modern times. They moved some locations around in the Bodega Bay area, it's fun to try to figure it out. For example, the school is inland in the tiny town of Bodega, not at the actual bay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 21, 2022 5:08 AM

[quote] Marnie = Painful disaster.

If you don't get Marnie, you don't know film nor have an artistic bone in your body.

by Anonymousreply 82June 21, 2022 9:01 AM

[quote] artistic bone

Have you heard what Hitchcock said about 'Marnie'?

by Anonymousreply 83June 21, 2022 9:24 AM

"If you don't get Marnie, you don't know film nor have an artistic bone in your body."

I fuckin' LOVE Marnie, terrible rear projections and all.

by Anonymousreply 84June 21, 2022 12:52 PM

[quote] The Children's birthday party had one big flaw.. Real birds would have been ALL OVER that birthday cake pecking it to crumbs. . Instead they never touched it!

They were cranky that day.

by Anonymousreply 85June 21, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote] the smartassed smirk on Melanie's face just a second before the first gull hits her

This is the exact moment I was going to mention. That smug look on her face made her so very, very slapable. And the birds agreed!

by Anonymousreply 86June 21, 2022 1:42 PM

R81: "modern"? It's not like this was shot in the middle ages with candle light.

by Anonymousreply 87June 21, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote] Retrical quality,

I thought it was "mystical quality."

by Anonymousreply 88June 21, 2022 1:52 PM

I love when the sexless ornithologist lady rattles off those statistics about birds in her weird British accent. She has such an amazing voice.

by Anonymousreply 89June 21, 2022 1:54 PM

That's Ethel Griffies, r85. I think she was a British actress trying to do Mid-Atlantic. I agree, I love her voice.

by Anonymousreply 90June 21, 2022 2:01 PM

'๐‘…๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘ž๐‘ข๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,' R88.

โ€˜๐‘๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฅ๐๐ฒ ๐‘๐จ๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฅ๐๐ฒโ€™ ๐ข๐ง ๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐‘ฉ๐’Š๐’“๐’…๐’”

๐ผ ๐‘š๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘š๐‘ฆ ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘“๐‘’ ๐‘–๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘กโ„Ž ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐ฝ๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘’,

๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค.

๐ผ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘”โ„Ž๐‘ก โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ โ„Ž๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘”โ„Ž๐‘ก ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘›,

๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐ป๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘›๐‘–๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,

๐‘๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ฆ ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ฆ, ๐‘…๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘„๐‘ข๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,

๐‘Š๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘Š๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค.

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘๐‘’๐‘‘ โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘Ÿ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘๐‘’ ๐‘Ž ๐‘ฆ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค.

๐‘Š๐‘–๐‘กโ„Ž ๐‘’๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘˜๐‘’, ๐‘ โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘Ž ๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐ป๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘›๐‘–๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,

๐‘…๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘„๐‘ข๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ, ๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ,

๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค.

(repeat 2nd and 3rd paragraph)

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘๐‘ก ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘๐‘’ ๐‘Ž ๐‘ฆ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ ๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘‘ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘  ๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘Ÿ๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘ข๐‘โ„Ž ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘œ ๐‘‘๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ฆ ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ฆ, ๐‘…๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘„๐‘ข๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,

๐‘Š๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘Š๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค.

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘โ„Ž๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘›๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘–๐‘› โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘‘๐‘Ž๐‘‘'๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘™๐‘‘ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘ก,

๐ด๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ ๐‘Ž ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘โ„Ž, ๐‘ โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ข๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘‘ โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘ก,

๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ, ๐‘–๐‘ก ๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘Ž ๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘™๐‘ฆ ๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ฆ,

๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค,

๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘˜ ๐‘™๐‘’๐‘”๐‘  ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘› ๐‘Ž๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ,

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘™๐‘’๐‘ก ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐‘”๐‘’๐‘ก ๐‘Ž๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ,

๐ผ ๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘š๐‘ฆ ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘“๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘ โ„Ž ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘“๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘…๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘‘๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค,

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘”๐‘Ž๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘š๐‘ฆ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘ก ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘ โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ โ„Ž๐‘œ๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘š๐‘’ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค.

(repeat 1st and 2nd paragraph)

๐‘†โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘๐‘’๐‘‘ โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘Ÿ โ„Ž๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘Ÿ ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘ก ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘๐‘’ ๐‘Ž ๐‘ฆ๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ,

๐‘Š๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™๐‘–๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘Š๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ฆ, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค, ๐‘›๐‘œ๐‘ค,

by Anonymousreply 91June 21, 2022 4:15 PM

Eh... the formatting didn't permit the paragraphs, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 92June 21, 2022 4:16 PM

[R41]: Back in the early 80โ€™s, when I was living in New York, and married to a woman, I went to the Club Baths, where I met a stocky, hot man, who later told me he was a Long Island State Patrolman. Somehow, at one point I mentioned being enamored of Rod Taylor. (When I was 16, I actually joined his fan club, me and 487 middle-aged women!)

So Mr. State Cop tells me that, back in about 1960, he had been trying to be a model in L.A., where he met Taylor at a party, and added theyโ€™d been fuck buds for about a year.

Naturally, I asked him what was Taylorโ€™s cock like? And he said it was about like mine. (About 6.5 thick.) Mr. Cop gave me his name and number, but I never called. Too bad; he was hunky and sweet.

Closets can be full of regrets.

by Anonymousreply 93June 21, 2022 4:18 PM

I don't know how often she visited, but Tippi Hedren sometimes came to Bodega Bay to meet fans. I live about 35 minutes from the coast and went out one day when I learned she was coming.

She was at the Tides Inn for a meet and greet, looking great for a woman in her 80s. She's 92 now. I didn't speak with her (now I wish I did), she was busy talking to a crowd of fans.

The Tides is said to be the cafรฉ where the scene took place but it's completely changed and I understand the cafe scenes were filmed in Hollywood.

I bought a mouse pad featuring a scene with the ornithologist in the cafรฉ with Tippi. It's next to me at my desk right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 21, 2022 4:31 PM

A few shirtless photos of Rod Taylor c. 1960-63 (from other films, of course) would keep this thread going all week.

by Anonymousreply 95June 21, 2022 4:36 PM

Shit happens...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 21, 2022 4:40 PM

Hello, Daddy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 21, 2022 4:56 PM

Short clips of RT from THE V.I.P.s ('63), 36 HOURS ('65), THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT ('66), and SUNDAY IN NEW YORK ('63).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 21, 2022 6:31 PM

I've been known to droop this line whenever anyone really pisses me off

"WHO are you? WHAT are you? WHERE DID YOU COME FROM? I think you're the cause of all this. I think you're EVIL..... EVIL!!!!!"

*SMACK!*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 21, 2022 6:36 PM

I was always Team Annie Hayworth. It was too bad the birds pecked her eyes out. That bitch Tippi blew into town one weekend and stole Annie's man!

by Anonymousreply 100June 21, 2022 6:53 PM

Cute scene in the diner when Tippi is trying to convince everyone that the birds have gone crazy, that they are out to kill. Lesbian ornithologist dismisses her, nonsense birds bring beauty to the world, they are our friends, instantly followed by the waitress saying two roast chickens, coming up

by Anonymousreply 101June 21, 2022 7:25 PM

The worst job in the world must have been being the set cleaner for the filming of โ€œThe Birds.โ€

by Anonymousreply 102June 21, 2022 7:29 PM

ROD TAYLOR!

Ahhhhhh.......years ago (maybe 1961?) when I was a young child, there was a short-lived TV series of Bus Stop (based on the William Inge play) and the premise was the stories of a constant parade of guest stars who would be laid over in a bus stop in a midwestern town. IIRC Marilyn Maxwell played the recurring role of the waitress who ran the bus stop's cafe.

Anyway, the week Rod Taylor guested was probably the first time I was aware of him. His first scene began with him stretched out in his bed in nothing but his undies in the local motel. He was awoken by a sexy young woman who snuck into his room and woke him by sexily tickling his bare foot.

I swear it's what caused my lifelong foot fetishism. I've searched and searched the internet to find that episode or even just the scene, but with no luck. If anyone can find it and post it, I'd be eternally grateful......and I think it'll make a few converts here.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2022 8:55 PM

Rod was looking pretty old and worn out by the time he was on Falcon Crest. Then again, we all age so who am I to criticize?

by Anonymousreply 104June 21, 2022 9:00 PM

I posted this years ago on another thread on The Birds, but in light of R99 it's worth repeating.

Years ago I saw the movie at a Jersey City theater that shows old films, and hundreds of people came to see The Birds the night it played.

The moment Hysterical Woman gets face-slapped by Melanie, the audience laughed and burst into applause.

by Anonymousreply 105June 21, 2022 9:18 PM

R104 I checked on IMDB Rod was born in 1930 and Falcon Crest began in 1988. He was 58 when the show started and his first credit s from1951! He may have made a good James Bond

by Anonymousreply 106June 21, 2022 9:51 PM

Imagine rimming Rod's ass.

by Anonymousreply 107June 21, 2022 9:54 PM

R107 and imagine rod's entire ass quivering uncontrollably and then his entire body from the pleasure of it and his "orgasm face"! whew!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 108June 22, 2022 1:27 AM

I've never heard or read the bizarre RISSELDY ROSSELDY anywhere except in THE BIRDS. Is it a real children's nonsense rhyme? Does anyone know its source, and what it meant to either Hitchcock or screenwriter Evan Hunter?

by Anonymousreply 109June 22, 2022 9:25 PM

R11's clips is one of my favourite moments in movie history. What was the idea behind this scene? So memorable and unique.

by Anonymousreply 110June 22, 2022 9:33 PM

Risseldy Rossildy is a real song, which Hunter said he learned from his daughter who learned it at school. Hitchcock agreed to use it since it was public domain and wouldnโ€™t cost him anything. As Hunter was writing the scene, he realized the song wasnโ€™t long enough to cover the whole sequence, so he wrote some additional lyrics, but in order to use his words in the movie he had to join ASCAP (or whichever union), which required Hitchcock to pay royalties to Hunter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2022 9:41 PM

Thank you, r111, you're a mensch!

by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2022 9:44 PM

The New England accent on the shopkeep (John McGovern) in northern California. Some see this as a flaw, but I prefer to believe that he's a Maine or Vermont transplant who knew that Bodega Bay was incomplete without some good old East Coast starch.

He also plays the ineffectual, embarrassed doctor who, among other bad advice-givers, ruins Warren Beatty's life in Splendor in the Grass.

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2022 9:50 PM

Thank you R 91. What was the original ending .

by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2022 9:53 PM

The original ending showed the death, destruction, and carnage the birds had wrought on the town, as the main characters are leaving. Dead bodies, fires, wrecked cars, etc. Then birds attack their car, pecking through the roof of it. Mitch speeds up and they manage to get away from that attack, but they can see in the distance that there are thousands of birds are all over the Golden Gate Bridge and in the sky circling SF.

It would have taken a long time and a lot of money to shoot, and the points were made other ways, such as the radio news telling us the phenomenon isn't limited to Bodega Bay. I think the ending of the finished film is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 115June 22, 2022 10:58 PM

I agree, R113 Northern CA is full of national and international transplants, nothing odd about a New England accent at all.

I'm a North CA native, so's my father, and he sounded like he was from New York although we had no NY ancestors.

I understand how people find San Francisco but I'm always amazed when they come straight from somewhere else to Sonoma County (where I live now).

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering we grow grapes, make wine, and The Birds was filmed here.

by Anonymousreply 116June 22, 2022 11:01 PM

Tippi's Aqua Net hair helmet that lasted over two days. You just know that a black widow spider had made its nest in her hair and laid eggs. Maybe that is what the birds were after.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 22, 2022 11:03 PM

^ Plastic Woman.

Barbie Doll.

Inept Thespian.

As inept as Jean Seberg.

by Anonymousreply 118June 22, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote]R109: I've never heard or read the bizarre RISSELDY ROSSELDY anywhere except in THE BIRDS. Is it a real children's nonsense rhyme? Does anyone know its source, and what it meant to either Hitchcock or screenwriter Evan Hunter?

It's based on a Scottish folk song, โ€˜๐–๐ž๐ž ๐‚๐จ๐จ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ ๐Žโ€™๐…๐ข๐Ÿ๐žโ€™, first put into print in the 1880s, but doubtless there's versions older than that. The original was about beating one's wife for being lazy; later versions softened this aspect of the song. Like nursery rhymes, it went through lots of variations (the link below offers two versions of the 'original'). Phrases cited by others on this thread ('โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,' '๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘ž๐‘ข๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ฆ,' '๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘ค๐‘Ž๐‘™๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘ฆ,') are from versions in the wild - and there were many -other than the version which was written for 'The Birds'.

My version differs from the link below, substituting, '๐ป๐‘’๐‘ฆ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘›๐‘–๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘ก๐‘ฆ' for 'โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘ฆ๐‘—๐‘œโ„Ž๐‘›๐‘›๐‘ฆ ๐‘‘๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘™๐‘ก๐‘ฆ' because it reflects a set of the film's subtitles I once saw, and because, after listening closely to it for years and ๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘ก๐‘  of viewings, that's what the phrase sounds like to me.

In American English, '๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค' is an unsuitable rendering because "mow" (as in '๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค the lawn') would be pronounced rhyming with "know", or "Moe", with a long 'o.' Versions which render it '๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค ๐‘š๐‘œ๐‘ค' would seem to be British, in keeping with 'having a ๐‘Ÿ๐‘œ๐‘ค (meaning a fight), rhyming with the name of China's late dictator, Mao. And while it's true that 'Wee Cooper o' Fife' was originally Scottish, or otherwise sung in the British Isles, the version that's sung in 'The Birds' is American, set on the West coast of the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 22, 2022 11:29 PM

It's HILARIOUS that the song is about a shrewish wife! Hitchcock knew what he was doing!

by Anonymousreply 120June 23, 2022 12:23 AM

I would've loved the original ending with The Golden Gate Bridge covered in birds. It still leaves the unanswered question if it was just The Bay Area or was it the whole country or even the world.

by Anonymousreply 121June 23, 2022 12:29 AM

R119, I've thought it was "now now now" for the last 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 122June 23, 2022 1:04 AM

Rod - looking rugged

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 23, 2022 1:11 AM

Reading this thread led me to read a very detailed article about many aspects of the making of The Birds. Although Hitchcock left the reason for the bird attacks ambiguous in the film, he subsequently said his feeling about it was the birds were getting back at humans for putting them in cages and killing and eating them. Hence the characters in the film are forced to be "caged" inside their homes until they are eaten/pecked to death by the birds. Other times, however, Hitchcock said the film was simply about scaring the audience.

The detailed description of how the special effects were done is interesting. Many of the flying bird shots were filmed over several days at the San Francisco city dump, where birds routinely flocked to look for food. Sequences from those many hours of film were overlaid with the film's live actor shots. In some cases, individual birds were copied from the dump films and pasted into the film; sometimes a particular bird was copied into a given shot more than once at different orientations. Trained live birds were used for certain scenes, and they did sometimes bite/peck the actors. Tippi Hendren got pecked on the third day of filming the attic bird attack scene, and she simply broke down and cried; she still had to do another three days of filming with the live birds to complete the scene. A relatively small number of mechanical birds were also used in the film, but apparently, they didn't look realistic enough on film to be used much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 23, 2022 2:55 AM

I always thought about how bad Tippi Hedren must stink after wearing that same outfit for days in a row. Mitch must've liked them ripe

by Anonymousreply 125June 23, 2022 3:03 AM

Um, you think they didn't have more than one not to mention dry clean them? This wasn't a nonunion picture.

by Anonymousreply 126June 23, 2022 3:10 AM

Is the guy who gets burned up at the gas pump the same guy who was Ernest Borgnine's best friend in "Marty"?

by Anonymousreply 127June 23, 2022 3:14 AM

R125 & R126 The studio must have spent a fortune on replicate wardrobes for each actor and dry cleaning because of the birds pooping on the clothes in the scenes filmed with live birds. Filming the movie must have been a real shit show!

by Anonymousreply 128June 23, 2022 3:42 AM

I personally fit every one of the numerous duplicate green suits I designed for Tippi. My seams were legendary!

by Anonymousreply 129June 23, 2022 4:16 AM

Archive.org has the full movie. It's not HD, but it's not bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130June 23, 2022 4:26 AM

I meant the character, r125. You think Brinkmeyerโ€™s offered one-hour dry cleaning?

by Anonymousreply 131June 23, 2022 4:26 AM

r77, Nothing tastes better than cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132June 23, 2022 4:47 AM

[quote]Is the guy who gets burned up at the gas pump the same guy who was Ernest Borgnine's best friend in "Marty"?

Yes, actor Joe Mantell. He also played Walsh, the associate of Jake Gittes, in CHINATOWN and delivered the classic final line: "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 23, 2022 6:05 AM

Didnโ€™t DL fave Camille Paglia write an in-depth essay or book about the film? Itโ€™s one of her favorites.

by Anonymousreply 134June 23, 2022 1:29 PM

Her book was in the BFI Film Classics series.

by Anonymousreply 135June 23, 2022 2:24 PM

The funny thing about the Paglia book is that it basically rehashes what Robin Wood wrote about many years ago in his book Hitchcock's Films.

And what she didn't get from there, she got from Donald Spoto's The Art of Alfred Hitchcock.

by Anonymousreply 136June 23, 2022 2:31 PM

Jessica Tandy deserves some love too. I think it's a great performance. Remember the part where they've barricaded themselves in the living room? JT is sleeping upright, and it's clear what a great mime she could be.

by Anonymousreply 137June 23, 2022 2:52 PM

Suzanne's Annie was so incredibly butch that I would bet that not only did she not shave her pits or legs, but her bush looked like a Beatle's wig! Mitch like cleanliness so she didn't have a prayer.

by Anonymousreply 138June 23, 2022 4:37 PM

R9 thatโ€™s Hitchcockโ€™s warped sense of humor, not bad editing. One of my favorite scenes.

by Anonymousreply 139June 23, 2022 4:41 PM

R139 It's my favourite scene in any movie. Just so out there.

by Anonymousreply 140June 23, 2022 4:45 PM

"And what she didn't get from there, she got from Donald Spoto's The Art of Alfred Hitchcock.

But it's still a hundred times better than the Salman Rushdie monograph on The Wizard of Oz in the series. The worst.

by Anonymousreply 141June 24, 2022 2:17 AM

R16- He was also very good looking in The Time Machine (1960).

by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2022 2:26 AM

This and Psycho are my favorite Hitchcock movies but there's one aspect to this movie that strikes me as absurd.

That little girl was supposed to be his sister. He looked much more like her father not her brother.

by Anonymousreply 143June 24, 2022 2:29 AM

The lovebirds wanted out of the cage and directed the other birds to attack.

by Anonymousreply 144June 24, 2022 2:30 AM

That Ms. Hedren wears the same green suit throughout the film.

by Anonymousreply 145June 24, 2022 2:36 AM

I think it's the first Hitchcock film where characters sit/stand around talking about their feelings, at length (there's a scene with Annie and Melanie, one with Mitch and Melanie, and another one with Melanie and Mrs. Brenner). Hitchcock usually didn't deal with this kind of instrosception. Maybe it was the writer, or maybe it was just to pad the film between bird attacks. Anyway, I kind of like it.

by Anonymousreply 146June 24, 2022 2:53 AM

*introspection lol

by Anonymousreply 147June 24, 2022 2:53 AM

I LOVE that beautiful 1960 Chrysler Station Wagon that Melanie and the kids take refuge in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148June 24, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote] That little girl was supposed to be his sister. He looked much more like her father not her brother.

Some people said my sister Marian looked more like my mother than my sister.

by Anonymousreply 149June 24, 2022 4:06 AM

What do't you like about Salman Rushdie's Wizard of Oz, R141? Too little about the movie and too much about him? My copy's pages started falling out right away, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 150June 24, 2022 10:52 AM

In the birthday party scene, one of the running kids should have looked back and accidentally slam into the party table, overturning it. More fun wanton destruction by the birds!

by Anonymousreply 151June 24, 2022 1:21 PM

I kiki whenever I see the kid getting pecked by the seagull as he lies on the grass kicking and screaming. ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ

by Anonymousreply 152June 24, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote]R152: I kiki whenever...

WTF is that supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 153June 24, 2022 3:01 PM

R153 Don't be so racist! Shame on you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154June 24, 2022 11:48 PM

A dear friend of mine in the Navy, now deceased, also used the term to refer to giggling queens.

by Anonymousreply 155June 25, 2022 12:42 AM

R154, that still doesn't mean that R152 makes any sense. It seems to be a noun, not a verb.

You also seem to be challenged on what constitutes racism.

by Anonymousreply 156June 25, 2022 5:59 AM

R152 has taken the noun and is using it as verb.

by Anonymousreply 157June 25, 2022 6:06 AM

Yes, R157, and it doesn't make sense that way.

by Anonymousreply 158June 25, 2022 6:16 AM

You can't expect American Illiterates to make sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 25, 2022 7:57 AM

R158 it makes sense to ME.

by Anonymousreply 160June 25, 2022 11:25 AM

Maybe the birds know what it means...

by Anonymousreply 161June 25, 2022 6:28 PM

Where was the bird SHIT?

by Anonymousreply 162June 25, 2022 8:46 PM

I like Ethel Griffies as the ornithologist Mrs. Bundy and Melanie's trip across the choppy bay to deliver the love birds. That scene is super fetishy. I prefer the first half of the movie which is just dripping under the surface with dirty and preserve vibes.

by Anonymousreply 163June 25, 2022 8:54 PM

Nature preserve?

by Anonymousreply 164June 25, 2022 9:04 PM

here's the scene of the birthday attack, with the hilarious scene of the little girl futilely kicking on the grass as the gull pecks at her head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 25, 2022 9:25 PM

And here's the scene of "Tippi" getting the smug expression wiped off her face as the gull attacks her in the motorboat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166June 25, 2022 9:26 PM

Just before the bird attack, Melanie and Mitch go for a short walk and we suddenly see them go from the location to a studio set, in front of a painted backdrop, which is jarring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 26, 2022 1:14 PM

Another shot of the painting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 26, 2022 1:16 PM

I picked Mitch's hot, sweaty, muscular body. God, he was handsome.

But I love the vaguely lesbian, whiskey-voiced ornithologist at the diner...the way she lights her cigarette...screams sophistication!

by Anonymousreply 169June 26, 2022 1:22 PM

"Back in your gilded cage, Melanie Daniels."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 26, 2022 3:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!