Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lost's Matthew Fox Finally Reveals Why He Retired From Acting

The mystery surrounding Matthew Fox‘s Hollywood vanishing act has been solved.

The Lost vet — who has not acted in nearly a decade — broke his silence over the weekend about his decision to leave showbiz. Fox also revealed why he recently decided to hit pause on his retirement to star in Peacock’s upcoming apocalyptic drama series Last Light.

“I kind of had a bucket list in my mind of things that I wanted to accomplish in the business, and after I did [the movie] Bone Tomahawk in 2014 that had kind of completed the bucket list,” he told reporters (per Variety) Saturday at the Monte-Carlo Film Festival, where Last Light had its world premiere. “I wanted to do a Western. It’s a very odd Western, but it’s a Western. And so that sort of completed the bucket list.”

Another factor, Fox said, was family. “At that time in my life, our kids were at an age where I felt like I needed to really reengage,” he explained of his two children with wife Margherita Ronchi. “I had been focused on work for some time, and [my wife] Margherita had been running the family so beautifully, but I felt like it was time to be home, and I really felt like I was retiring from the business, and working on other creative elements that are really personal to me — some music and writing.”

Last Light, which co-stars Downton Abbey‘s Joanne Froggatt, brings Fox — who also serves as an EP on the series — back to TV for the first time since Lost ended in 2010. The thriller imagines a world plunged into crisis when oil suppliers are jeopardized. A Peacock premiere date is TBD.

“I kind of got to a point where I thought that maybe the bucket list included executive producing,” he said of being lured back to acting. “I’d never done that before. The opportunity to be involved in Last Light came along, and so I wanted to give it a shot. And it felt like the right time.”

Fox’s retirement also came amid a turbulent time in his personal life. In 2011, he was accused of assaulting a female bus driver in Cleveland, Ohio. He denied the allegations and prosecutors ultimately opted not to charge him. A subsequent civil suit filed was withdrawn by the bus driver. Fox’s Lost co-star Dominic Monaghan added fuel to the fire, tweeting in May 2012 that Fox “beats women. Not isolated incidents. Often.”

In an October 2012 interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Fox acknowledged that “it’s been a very tough year for me and my family,” adding, “It’s difficult to be accused of something you did not do.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2022 12:57 AM

[quote] Fox’s Lost co-star Dominic Monaghan added fuel to the fire, tweeting in May 2012 that Fox “beats women. Not isolated incidents. Often.”

No fucking way.

Did Dominic really say that???

How did he not get sued by Matthew Fox?

Interesting that Monaghan is still working in Hollywood, and Fox isn't.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2022 10:20 PM

Google is your friend, R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2022 10:24 PM

The incident…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2022 10:26 PM

I don't think he would have called him out for beating men. What a sexist...

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2022 10:29 PM

If the Fabulous mister Fox beats women, how come no one has come forward and said so publicly? I want names, or it's just rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2022 10:35 PM

Exactly, R5.

He could easily have sued Dominic for slander, and won.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2022 10:38 PM

Zzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2022 10:39 PM

But he didn't, did he? (Of course you don't consider that telling, because your little erection is coloring your thinking...)

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2022 10:54 PM

What happened to Sawyer? Is he still on the island? That was a handsome fellow.

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2022 11:25 PM

Josh Holloway was looking pretty good in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2022 11:48 PM

r55 So you're saying Hillary is stealing ideas from Bernie?

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2022 12:01 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2022 12:07 AM

R11 is Jaclyn Smith, suffering from dementia.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2022 12:32 AM

His reputation is that he cheats on his wife regularly, not that he beats women.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2022 12:42 AM

Matthew Fox should beat the shit out of Dominic Monaghan.

Just to prove him wrong.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2022 12:44 AM

Dominic Monaghan was hot for about 3 seconds in LOTR but then he quickly started to look like someone missing a few chromosomes. He has Downs face.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2022 1:06 AM

I don't think Lost holds up on second viewing. I find it so interesting that there were no real breakout stars from the show. Usually a big hit like that would produce at least a couple of movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2022 1:15 AM

I still want to see Matthew's dick.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2022 1:17 AM

Me too, R18.

Does he still look same?

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2022 8:05 AM

He quit because the public and entertainment industry weren't interested.

Aside from Lost he is a nothing.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2022 8:22 AM

Boring man. Boring looks.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2022 8:27 AM

The was such a whiny bitch on lost. TDE.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2022 8:30 AM

He needs to do nudity ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2022 6:53 AM

I mean, once you've performed in something sublime like Party of Five, wouldn't the rest of the career feel almost anti-climactic?

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2022 7:07 AM

He reminds me of Jon Hamm. Handsome dude, hit series, supposed to happen but ... didn't.

Lol at the 'bucket list' bullshit. Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 7:09 AM

Nice to be able to take a fucking decade off work, huh? I’m still working everyday though.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 7:17 AM

When Lost ended, he was too old for a Hollywood career. He should have struck for that after Party of Five.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 7:28 AM

I wonder: if LOST had ended on a high note creatively, rather than as the rancid, unwatchable disappointment it was, would Fox’s career have turned out a bit differently? I suspect that the unbearable stink on that show, combined with the whispers about his temper/personal life, kept him from being considered for anything too prominent.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 7:44 AM

R18 - I want to see him present hole.

R23 is right - he needs to do nudity - then we're all happy.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 7:47 AM

He was gorgeous a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 7:51 AM

[quote] I still want to see Matthew's dick.

Who hasn’t seen it? Like David Boreanez, he was naked on set all the time. Never wore clothes because Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 9:39 AM

[quote]I find it so interesting that there were no real breakout stars from the show. Usually a big hit like that would produce at least a couple of movie stars.

Evangeline Lilly broke out. She was in the Hobbit snd Ant-man and the Avengers movies. She’s squandered those opportunities by being an anti-COVID conspiracy nutcase, but she was definitely breaking out.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 11:22 AM

Matthew is a gorgeous homosexual!

Are there nude photos?

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2022 12:15 PM

Josh Holloway was/still is a total hunk! Great mane, killer eyes, cute dimples, tall, beefy bod. I watched the 2001 movie "Cold heart" with Natassja Kinski in which he was playing a stalker and was sporting short hair, and Gaaaaaahd! That ass was GLORIOUS! You should see it! What the fuck was he even thinking when he picked that fugly Asian woman as his wife? Something is VERY VERY weird about all this. He must be gay! There's no way such a beefy dude would pick a woman who's guaranteed to give him ugly and short offspring, unless he's a masochist

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2022 11:29 PM

Noting to do with being a scumbag then?

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2022 11:32 PM

Never knew he retired. Never knew who he was.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2022 11:34 PM

Josh Holloway would have made a good Jaime Lannister on GOT.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2022 11:35 PM

R36 In common DL parlance you must mean: "Who?"

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2022 11:37 PM

I can't remember ever hating a character as much as Jack from Lost. Never shut his damn mouth.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2022 11:37 PM

I just watched the first episode of Last Light and....Meh.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2022 12:43 AM

I liked Matthew Fox as Jack on Lost.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2022 12:49 AM

Fox was an horrendous actor. Completely amateurish.

His retirement was welcome

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2022 12:52 AM

Terrible haircut that he clung to.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2022 12:53 AM

I cried at the very last scene when Jack was laying on the ground with Victor the dog. The dog I had at the time looked exactly like Victor. My dog is now gone as is Victor, I'm sure. Waaaaah!

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2022 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!