Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #476: The Looming Threat of Lea Michele's Return Edition

Substituting one type of nightmare for an entirely different one?

Continue

by Anonymousreply 602June 23, 2022 8:36 PM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2022 8:29 PM

A little premature, but thanks, OP.

(maybe you coulda spent a few more minutes on your title, huh?)

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2022 8:37 PM

Not premature at all, r2. The last thread was at r590, so it was time for a new thread so the link could be posted there before it ended.

If you can't figure that out, it casts doubt on your reasoning skills and makes the rest of your opinion dubious, huh?

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2022 8:41 PM

BAN R2

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2022 8:43 PM

The cuntitude at OP's of new threads isn't even amusing. This is why you have no friends, Miss Dunaway at r2.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2022 8:45 PM

OPs title begs the question of DLs theatre insiders: what tales can you tell of when a cast replacement became a case of trading one set of problems for another?

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2022 8:46 PM

Someone on the last thread said Jodie Comer has fans who follow her everywhere.

Where would that be?

She has not done much live performance, only a few television shows, and films.

Are we to believe her young fans are avid watchers of Talking Heads and Doctor Foster?

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2022 8:46 PM

Its so weird that this is the most interesting show of the season.....for all the wrong reasons....

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2022 8:47 PM

OPs title begs the question of DLs theatre insiders: Is there anything less relevant that DLs theatre insiders?

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2022 8:48 PM

Jodi Comer has no fans.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2022 8:50 PM

THE FAGGOT was never on Broadway, R600 from the previous thread. But, excellent, admirable try. I applaud you! Let's rediscover this gem!

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2022 8:52 PM

Is that a rule, that they have to be Broadway flops? Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2022 8:55 PM

I wish that people hadn't abandoned the correct usage of the expression "beg the question."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2022 8:58 PM

The problem is that no one needs an idiom that means what the explanation at R13 says it means. It's too niche.

But we do need an idiom for "what you are saying raises a question."

That is why everyone misuses this phrase.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2022 9:07 PM

It isn't a problem that keeps me awake at night.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2022 9:13 PM

Where does it say that Matt Doyle will be out this Tuesday, June 21? I'm seeing COMPANY that night and wanted to see him, darn.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2022 9:18 PM

I was sad to see The Human Comedy included with the list of Broadway flops at the end of the last thread. That show has a wonderful score, and had some great performances. It was, I admit, a flop.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2022 9:18 PM

I saw it off-Broadway. It was good, but I could not imagine it doing well in a big house.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2022 9:25 PM

The Human Comedy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2022 9:25 PM

Dolls! I know I said I’d NEVER do another musical but I think I’ll probably be done with Company in November, so what should my next (final) show be?

And if one of you queens suggest I play Lea Michele’s mom in Funny Girl I will slap you into Tuesday!

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2022 9:33 PM

I Do! I Do! with Mandy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2022 9:34 PM

This fall, at the Lunt-Fontanne, Patti IS ... LEONA!

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2022 9:37 PM

Everybody Loathes Leona!

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2022 9:39 PM

Patti should take over for Hugh in MM

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2022 9:40 PM

She Who Gets Slapped

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2022 9:43 PM

Never in a million years, but surely Patti and Bernadette doing a reading of Legends! would raise a lot of money for charity, right?

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2022 9:45 PM

Matt Doyle is a kween!!! She almost down Radio City Music Hall during her acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2022 9:48 PM

I don't know r10 she sold out a West End theatre for many weeks but maybe couldn't make up for the lack of Affleck or Damon's fans with the movie. Essentially the crux of both the film and play are the same, sexual assault. Folks were okay to watch a story about it on stage but not on screen.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2022 9:51 PM

Patti should be Blanche along with Bernadette Peters' Baby Jane in a good version (I think they've tried that weren't so hot) of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". Bernadette's cutesy shtick would still work if she allowed it to really go all-out. And she could still show her décolletage if she wanted to (she usually wants to).

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2022 9:54 PM

I was surprised to hear a few guys at work watched The Last Duel, they are younger, 30 -40ish, they watched for Jodie Comer.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2022 9:54 PM

Betty Lynn would make more sense as Blanche. Patti is too down and dirty for that role.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2022 9:55 PM

Jodie Comer has been well received in that assassin thing. I'm surprised that others thin she has no fans.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2022 9:56 PM

*think

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2022 9:56 PM

But I could see Patti really milking the scene where she falls out of the wheelchair. Jazz hands as she tries to reach for the phone, too!

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2022 9:56 PM

Jodie also has a lot of other actors who are fans of hers, plenty of celebrities spotted going to that play.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2022 9:59 PM

Don't ask Patti to do choreography...

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2022 10:01 PM

Hasn't that screen show, "I May Destroy You" or whatever it's called, been as success?

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2022 10:06 PM

r16, Doyle posted it in his Instagram stories yesterday, saying he would be out Tuesday the 21st and Javier Ignacio would be on. Ignacio cross posted it to his Instagram stories. Both have expired now and it didn't occur to me to save a screenshot.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote]Patti really milking

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2022 10:14 PM

Patti LuPone is unlikely to want to work with the woman she claims was given "her" GYPSY (the Mendes production).

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2022 10:16 PM

Patti also felt that Imelda was given "her" GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2022 10:18 PM

On All That Chat, someone recently started a thread about the strong rumor that Lea Michele will be taking over in FUNNY GIRL, to which the one and only mlop replied:

[quote]She was once being considered when they were planning to revive “Funny Girl” year back and had her perform a song at the Tony Awards coming down the aisle of Radio City Music Hall.

You can't make this shit up, But really, that comment is one for the books. Even from mlop. I expect her next post to be something like.....

[quote] They're going to do Oliver! at Encores! next year. The show originally opened in London years ago and then came to Broadway. There was a movie version in 1968, and it won Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2022 10:28 PM

mlop is the Susan Boyle of ATC, minus the singing aspirations), isn't she? It's rather like shooting fish in a barrel.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2022 10:31 PM

r16, just saw on another understudy's page that she'll be on as Sarah this Tuesday and Wednesday. So if you wanted to be Simard, she may be out. (The alternative would be that she's covering Joanne those nights and Patti is out. But after missing so much of this week that seems unlikely. Maybe.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2022 10:43 PM

Heh, that should be, if you wanted to **see** Simard...

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2022 10:44 PM

mlop's actually rather a very nice woman -- she's a theater photographer and has had access to backstage with the Beatles years ago, as well as other press passes. She can't help it if she is ATC's Mrs. Malaprop when she writes.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2022 10:46 PM

I will never think of her without Chits Rivers lifting her leg.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2022 10:48 PM

mlop is a Broadway treasure.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2022 10:52 PM

To be truly mlopian, r42, you’ll need far more misspellings

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2022 11:02 PM

Patti LuPone *IS* Matron Mama Morton

8 weeks only!

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2022 11:05 PM

r41

Wasn't Patti(or Bernadette, I forget) supposed to do Gypsy in London

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2022 11:24 PM

Tyne Dale was supposed to do it in London but the Gulf War scuppered that. Patti claims that she was supposed to take the Laurents production to London. Patti has never been box office ther so I doubt it would have ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2022 11:26 PM

R46, but aside from her malapropisms, what she wrote about Lea Michele and "Funny Girl" was such common knowledge that it made her sound like a complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2022 11:28 PM

Could Fanny's mother be rewritten to be Fanny's grandmother? With an artificial hip. Patti could play that.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2022 11:30 PM

No it didn't, r53, it made her sound like mlop.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2022 11:32 PM

50 yrs of Broadway at the Kennedy Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2022 11:32 PM

[r52] Patti and Arthur Laurents famously made up during Gypsy on Broadway but then got on the outs again when she did NOT go to London with it when he wanted her to afterward. She instead signed on for the HBO pilot that was somewhat based on Stephen Sondheim. Naturally the whole fiasco blew up in Patti’s face because the show wasn’t picked up to series, AND she lost her relationship with Arthur

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2022 11:34 PM

R56 Is that being broadcast in full?

R57 Oh fuck Laurents, that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote]AND she lost her relationship with Arthur

Something's lost, something 's gained...

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2022 11:38 PM

Where does the story come from that she wept for days after losing the role of Janice Soprano to Aida Turturro?

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2022 11:38 PM

Frances Farmer played Lorna Moon in the Clifford Odets-Group Theatre first production of "Golden Boy."

She was canned from the production when it went to London and her part was played by Lillian Emerson, the heiress to the Bromo Seltzer fortune whose family paid for the trip over and other production costs of the show there.

So Beano's situation is nothing new.....no business like it!

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2022 12:04 AM

Patti should do a revival of "Auntie Mame" for Roundabout.

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2022 12:10 AM

It wasn’t just the Gulf War that kept the Tyne Daly revival of Gypsy from going to London it was also because the exchange rate then was extremely bad (one pound equaled two dollars) so it was cost prohibitive on the US side.

by Anonymousreply 63June 20, 2022 12:15 AM

I didn’t realize Mame’s grandma was a character in the show

by Anonymousreply 64June 20, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote] [R56] Is that being broadcast in full? I hope so.

I really have no idea. I think it took place in Feb.

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2022 12:23 AM

[quote]Sadly, the producers ... have no interest in cultivating minority audiences...

This quote is from the last thread. It reminded me that there was one Broadway producer/promoter - Norman Kean, a white man - who made a career of producing shows for the black audience. He was quite good at it. While his name was not always on the marquee, he worked on several Broadway and off-Broadway shows in the 60s, 70s, and 80s including Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope, Me and Bessie, Guys and Dolls with Robert Guillaume, shows by Vinnette Carroll and Micki Grant, etc. The flop musical A Broadway Musical was loosely based on his life. He was a bit of a scoundrel in the style of David Merrick. ironically, his biggest hit was the long-running revival of Oh! Calcutta!

And his protege - who learned all his tricks at the foot of his master - was Garth Drabinsky.

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2022 12:45 AM

[quote]Patti should do a revival of "Auntie Mame"

Please, NO! She'd put the maim in Mame.

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2022 12:46 AM

Norman Kean is the producer who went quietly nuts and murdered his wife (actress Gwyda Donhowe) and then killed himself. Their teenage son found the bodies when he got home from school.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2022 1:07 AM

Norman Kean

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote] Jodie Comer has been well received in that assassin thing. I'm surprised that others thin she has no fans.

I was making a joke, signing the post Ridley Scott. I have no idea if Jodie Comer has fans or not but I would assume someone likes her if she shows up in things.

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2022 1:19 AM

I had no idea Patti Lupone was up for the role of Janice on The Sopranos. If they hired Aida Turturro because they wanted to avoid Patti's reputation of being difficult, that sure backfired on them. They actually wrote Janice out because Aida was such a pain in the ass and was not really delivering. They packed her off on a bus for Seattle. But then Nancy Marchand died in between seasons and they needed that combative female family member dynamic for Tony and reluctantly brought her back.

I will say they managed to find something for her to do, and Aida was good enough in the show, but both having worked with her on something else, and having friends on the set of The Sopranos who told me stories about her behavior, I can tell you she's no picnic.

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2022 1:24 AM

The most tragic thing about that Norman Kean murder/suicide story is that the producer of Oh, Calcutta was living with his wife and 14 year old son in a three room apartment.

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2022 1:25 AM

Three room, or three bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2022 1:55 AM

Can someone start a Tasteful Friends Very Special Thread?

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote] Three room, or three bedroom?

The NYT article said a three-room corner apartment.

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2022 1:58 AM

I love how R66 just said "he was a bit of a scoundrel" without mentioning that he, well, murdered his wife.

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2022 2:00 AM

That's tragic!

He should have applied to Manhattan Plaza. Spacious, and surprisingly well priced!

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2022 2:02 AM

[quote] The NYT article said a three-room corner apartment.

Rumor has it, it was the same "Three Sunny Rooms" shared by Avram Cohen and Rachel Brodsky nearly 7 decades prior.

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2022 2:08 AM

Rags, r78! RAAAAGGGS!

by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2022 2:12 AM

What were the "backstage crazy" stories at PROOF with Mary-Louise Parker who was replaced by Jennifer Jason Leigh who was replaced by Ann Heche? Crazy, crazier, craziest. That was supposedly 2+ years of CRAZY.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2022 2:29 AM

It takes a certain amount of crazy to be brilliant on stage.

by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2022 2:35 AM

Why is there not a Take Me Out national tour?

by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2022 2:47 AM

Why is there not a website with all the audience photos of that glorious cock buffet? Only to get a good look at yummy Tyler Weaks again.

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2022 2:49 AM

[quote] What were the "backstage crazy" stories at PROOF with Mary-Louise Parker who was replaced by Jennifer Jason Leigh who was replaced by Ann Heche? Crazy, crazier, craziest. That was supposedly 2+ years of CRAZY.

I only know one MLP story during Proof. I was told by a friend who worked at the theater that MLP wanted the producers to stop selling the first two rows of seats in the orchestra because the audience in them were distracting her while she was trying to act. When that didn't fly, she then tried to get them to not give out Playbills until the show was over because people were flipping through them during the performance (or so she said).

That reminded me of another story (this one I remember experiencing firsthand). When James Sutorius took over for Tony Shalhoub in Conversations with My Father, he complained that the front of the house staff was "moving too much" after the show started (i.e. seating latecomers) and he also tried to get the ushers barred from sitting on the back steps to the mezzanine because he could see them under the safety lights and it distracted him. He also wanted to do something about the bartenders making noise, but that was never going to happen. (None of it did, actually.)

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2022 3:09 AM

Do we think anything will come of that reading/workshop of the last Sondheim show that Bernadette and Nathan Lane participated in? Did anyone here actually attend?

by Anonymousreply 85June 20, 2022 3:15 AM

OP’s thread title made me laugh out loud, which hasn’t happened in a theatre thread in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 86June 20, 2022 4:09 AM

I've seen The Music Man in absolutely wonderful productions in summer stock (though not recently). I don't think I paid more than $30 a pop. I'm not about to pay more than three or five hundred dollars to see a a production that doesn't even include Onna White's fantastic choreography. I'll just stick my blu ray of the film back in the player.

by Anonymousreply 87June 20, 2022 7:36 AM

That film is a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 88June 20, 2022 7:41 AM

The blu ray of The Music Man is a mess. They remastered it but it needed a full restoration. The color has a brownish tinge over it which wasn't present in the original release prints. Technicolor and Super Technirama. It should look glorious, not OK.

by Anonymousreply 89June 20, 2022 8:42 AM

Morton DaCosta made two very fine films—Auntie Mame and Music Man—but only did one more, Island of Love, a dog. Both the hits he had already directed on Broadway. Wonder why he wasn't given more films.

by Anonymousreply 90June 20, 2022 12:27 PM

[quote]That reminded me of another story (this one I remember experiencing firsthand). When James Sutorius took over for Tony Shalhoub in Conversations with My Father, he complained that the front of the house staff was "moving too much" after the show started (i.e. seating latecomers)

Well, I'm with him on that. I think latecomers should only be seated, if at all, during scene breaks, otherwise it can indeed be very distracting to the actors AND the audience.

by Anonymousreply 91June 20, 2022 12:56 PM

[Quote] Why is there not a Take Me Out national tour?

No but nor truck big enough for the D

by Anonymousreply 92June 20, 2022 1:02 PM

Is this Gossip Thread #3?

by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2022 1:04 PM

Happy Monday!

I don't really wanna do the work today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 20, 2022 1:30 PM

Starmites!

by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2022 2:12 PM

I guess Starmites is really a thread killer.

by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2022 5:55 PM

No fault of Miss McKnight's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 20, 2022 6:17 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1955, "Almost Crazy" opened at the Longacre Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 98June 20, 2022 6:27 PM

Juneteenth quiet.

by Anonymousreply 99June 20, 2022 6:30 PM

Almost Crazy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 20, 2022 6:43 PM

It featured Miss Kay Medford...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 20, 2022 6:44 PM

What’s that play where the old lady is buried up to her neck? That’s the role for LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 102June 20, 2022 6:49 PM

Happy Days. The one where The Fonz shows up and forces the old lady to blow him.

by Anonymousreply 103June 20, 2022 6:57 PM

I've already done Happy Days, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 20, 2022 6:58 PM

I saw Happy Days with Miss Wiest.

by Anonymousreply 105June 20, 2022 6:58 PM

Happy Days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 20, 2022 7:01 PM

I saw Happy End with Miss Streep.

by Anonymousreply 107June 20, 2022 7:05 PM

How was she, r107?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2022 7:09 PM

Meryl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 20, 2022 7:12 PM

Do I Hear a Waltz is not about an old Italian woman in Venice.

by Anonymousreply 110June 20, 2022 7:26 PM

Well, Americans aren't Italian so duh...

by Anonymousreply 111June 20, 2022 7:33 PM

The rest of the creative team wanted Dorothy Collins for Do I Hear a Waltz but Richard Rodgers was producing as well composing and he was screwing Elizabeth Allen so Dorothy didn't have a chance. Dorothy got rave reviews regionally when she did the part later, including at Paper Mill.

by Anonymousreply 112June 20, 2022 7:35 PM

Dorothy Collins was also passed over for the Lincol Center revival of South Pacific. She would have sang it way better than Woman of Two Voices, Florence Henderson.

by Anonymousreply 113June 20, 2022 7:47 PM

Dorothy couldn't catch a break. No Leona, no Bea, and no Tony.

by Anonymousreply 114June 20, 2022 7:47 PM

Two eye witnesses to Patti's meltdown backstage at The Tony's after she won. There was a stage management screw up, and she was taken to the wrong side of the stage, and just left there, instead of being taken to the press room, which was on the other side. After a minute or two, the SHIT hit the fan, and she walked.

by Anonymousreply 115June 20, 2022 7:49 PM

Dorothy was also runner up for She Loves Me but she hadn't done Broadway at that point and Barbara was much bigger Box Office.

by Anonymousreply 116June 20, 2022 7:51 PM

And that's why she was out of Company early in the week, r115?

by Anonymousreply 117June 20, 2022 7:55 PM

[quote] wo eye witnesses to Patti's meltdown backstage at The Tony's after she won. There was a stage management screw up, and she was taken to the wrong side of the stage, and just left there, instead of being taken to the press room, which was on the other side. After a minute or two, the SHIT hit the fan, and she walked.

No one except DL theater queens cares about that diva cunt.

by Anonymousreply 118June 20, 2022 8:08 PM

[quote]She would have sang it way better than Woman of Two Voices, Florence Henderson.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 119June 20, 2022 8:12 PM

Henderson is really dreadful on the recording but Giorgio Tozzi is wonderful as de Becque. He sings out fully as opposed to the crooning he was forced to do on the soundtrack. She sounds like she's having some kind of vocal crisis.

by Anonymousreply 120June 20, 2022 8:21 PM

Flo was the Cilla Black of Broadway singers. The chest and head voices were completely unrelated.

by Anonymousreply 121June 20, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote]The chest and head voices were completely unrelated.

Rather like Bernadette singing "Children Will Listen" at the Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 122June 20, 2022 8:25 PM

Poor Bernie. She really has passed her sell-by date as a singer, and the TONY performance confirmed it.

by Anonymousreply 123June 20, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote]Henderson is really dreadful on the recording but Giorgio Tozzi is wonderful as de Becque. He sings out fully as opposed to the crooning he was forced to do on the soundtrack. She sounds like she's having some kind of vocal crisis.

Vocal crisis? No need to exaggerate. It's just that there's a big difference in quality between her chest voice and her soprano register, which of course is more of a problem in some songs o that album than in others.

by Anonymousreply 124June 20, 2022 8:47 PM

[quote]There was a stage management screw up, and she was taken to the wrong side of the stage

That doesn't really make any sense, given her award was presented on the side of the stage. So what, she was meant to exit by walking across the entire stage to the other side? Not to mention there was a cameraman showing her coming off stage, so she was clearly on the right side of the stage.

by Anonymousreply 125June 20, 2022 8:52 PM

There’s no pulling the wool over r125’s eyes!

by Anonymousreply 126June 20, 2022 9:03 PM

R125's response reminded me that I thought it was a mistake to have the cameras follow some of the winners offstage into the wings. because it looked like at least some of the winners were unprepared and/or unhappy about being on camera at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2022 9:30 PM

r127 Though it does let you see the moment when Patti realises she didn't mention Sondheim in her speech.

by Anonymousreply 128June 20, 2022 9:34 PM

Let's see...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 20, 2022 9:37 PM

Tozzi sang on the soundtrack the way Richard Rodgers wanted him to. How did Henderson ever get a job in anything? How in hell did she get a big budget Cinerama movie? She's somebody whose popularity I never got in the least. A very annoying individual. Thank God she was never cast on screen in a Richard Rodgers musical. She wanted Oklahoma so bad. Imagine her in Shirley Jones', Mitzi Gaynor's and Julie Andrews' parts. I wonder if Disney ever considered her for Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 130June 20, 2022 10:42 PM

Song of Norway wasn't in Cinerama, r130.

by Anonymousreply 131June 20, 2022 10:58 PM

What do u mean shit hit the fan regarding Patti? The whole things seemed weird from her not doing press after winning, to leaving before they even announced revival.

by Anonymousreply 132June 20, 2022 11:05 PM

I'd never have recognized Florence here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 20, 2022 11:13 PM

Florence was one of the first Marias in Sound of Music in a national tour. Came to Detroit, but I couldn't get a ticket,

by Anonymousreply 134June 20, 2022 11:34 PM

Blended families were my bread & butter!

by Anonymousreply 135June 20, 2022 11:36 PM

I saw Henderson in South Pacific. I wasn't impressed.

by Anonymousreply 136June 20, 2022 11:43 PM

[Quote] Patti should do a revival of "Auntie Mame" for Roundabout.

Actually why not Mame? SHE should be the star of a revival of the musical

by Anonymousreply 137June 20, 2022 11:44 PM

[quote]Song of Norway wasn't in Cinerama, [R130].

Actually it was and it wasn't. It was shot in Super Panavision 70 but on initial showings was seen in Cinerama theaters on the big Cinerama screen. It was advertised as being shown in Cinerama. 2001: A Space Odyssey and several other blockbusters of the period received this treatment and advertising.

by Anonymousreply 138June 20, 2022 11:44 PM

Though Dorothy Collins remained a lovely person with a beautiful voice into the 1960s, all those years of performing every song under the sun, week after week after week on 1950s TV's cheesey Your Hit Parade left a kind of sad stink on her reputation and she would have been no one's idea of a Broadway leading lady, no matter how well she could put the songs over. Sadly, she had "has-been" written all over her.

by Anonymousreply 139June 20, 2022 11:45 PM

Could "Fanny" be revived today?

by Anonymousreply 140June 20, 2022 11:47 PM

Barbara Cook, who toured as Ado Annie in the early 1950s with Florence Henderson as Laurie, said Florence was perfect in the role.

by Anonymousreply 141June 21, 2022 12:13 AM

Nothing before 2000 can be revived today without EXTENSIVE revisions, according to the new regime out there.

by Anonymousreply 142June 21, 2022 12:25 AM

Well, r138, it didn't play at the Cinerama theater in Denver, so it was not advertised as such...in Denver.

by Anonymousreply 143June 21, 2022 12:44 AM

Also, r138, I don't think they'd contractually allow the movie to be advertised as *in* Cinerama even though it's being shown on a Cinerama screen. 2001 was touted as being in 70mm.

by Anonymousreply 144June 21, 2022 12:52 AM

Ads for Song of Noway touting that's being shown in Cinerama. I'm sure I can find the same for 2001.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 21, 2022 12:56 AM

That's why her FOLLIES casting was so perfect, r139.

by Anonymousreply 146June 21, 2022 12:56 AM

^ Norway, damn it.

by Anonymousreply 147June 21, 2022 12:56 AM

O.K., r145, but I was referring to the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 148June 21, 2022 12:57 AM

Noway was correct.

by Anonymousreply 149June 21, 2022 12:58 AM

Pushin' the movie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150June 21, 2022 1:02 AM

An ad for 2001 stating it's being shown in "WRAP-AROUND CINERAMA with 6 track STEREO SOUND."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 21, 2022 1:04 AM

Jenna Russell and Brooks Ashmanskas in Follies in Tangiers! Who else is in this?

by Anonymousreply 152June 21, 2022 1:07 AM

Oops! Forgot the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 21, 2022 1:08 AM

Those roadshow Cinerama 70mm prints had to be specially modified, which is why MGM claimed Cinerama. Otherwise, the picture looked distorted when projected on the deeply curved Cinerama screen.

And I'll leave the subject now, for which I am sure you are grateful.

by Anonymousreply 154June 21, 2022 1:13 AM

Oh I believe you, r151, but again I was referring to the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 155June 21, 2022 1:13 AM

Cinerama had nothing on TODD-A-O!

by Anonymousreply 156June 21, 2022 1:25 AM

Brooks is Carlotta, of course.

by Anonymousreply 157June 21, 2022 1:29 AM

When they switched to 70mm Cinerama in the late 60s, they called it "the new Cinerama" or "70mm Cinerama" or "one hole Cinerama." One hole was always good enough for me. But it was still just Todd-AO and not quite as good.

by Anonymousreply 158June 21, 2022 1:39 AM

70mm film actually has only 65mm of film image. The other 5mm was given to the six magnetic strips of the surround-sound soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 159June 21, 2022 1:47 AM

All jokes aside, didn't Elizabeth Taylor make a huge fortune based just on the profits from Todd-A-O?

by Anonymousreply 160June 21, 2022 1:53 AM

And it's only really effective on a 70mm screen and who has those?

by Anonymousreply 161June 21, 2022 1:55 AM

This can’t be happening

by Anonymousreply 162June 21, 2022 2:35 AM

It can, r162...

by Anonymousreply 163June 21, 2022 2:36 AM

R155, do you really believe Song of Norway and 2001, among other films, were released in 70mm Cinerama internationally but not in the US? I proved my point and am just not interested in searching for more roadshow ads.

by Anonymousreply 164June 21, 2022 2:38 AM

Stop. It.

by Anonymousreply 165June 21, 2022 2:41 AM

Florence was fine In "Song of Norway" and the lead playing Edvard Grieg was cute. The second lead, the baritone though I recall was rather hard to take. The direction of the film wasn't good though the locales were gorgeous. I saw it in some local theater in New Rochelle, though neither the Petries, the Helpers or the J. Pierpont Finches were in the audience with me. The music was lovely (except for that baritone's voice).

by Anonymousreply 166June 21, 2022 2:56 AM

Anybody want to talk about Technirama? The Music Man was filmed in Super Technirama and that system had probably the least distortion and best picture quality around next to the original Cinerama.

by Anonymousreply 167June 21, 2022 3:14 AM

...fever dream of a Theatre Gossip thread...

by Anonymousreply 168June 21, 2022 3:15 AM

What's the Song of Norway plot?

by Anonymousreply 169June 21, 2022 3:20 AM

[quote]Brooks is Carlotta, of course.

He’s really more of a Hattie who wishes he was a Carlotta, no?

by Anonymousreply 170June 21, 2022 3:23 AM

Just a bunch of boring people standing around singing melodies cribbed from Grieg. Nice photography, though. Super Panavision 70.

by Anonymousreply 171June 21, 2022 3:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 21, 2022 3:26 AM

Which was your favorite LEWK from the TONYS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 21, 2022 3:27 AM

Grieg was no Borodin.

by Anonymousreply 174June 21, 2022 3:31 AM

Yeah, r171, but how did it play on stage without the scenery?

by Anonymousreply 175June 21, 2022 3:32 AM

I never miss a Rachmaninoff musical.

by Anonymousreply 176June 21, 2022 3:34 AM

Plot Synopsis:

Set on a fabulous cruise ship, "Song of Norway" follows the lives of three equally fabulous friends: pianist Greg, fellow musician Ricky, and lounge singer Louisa. Greg's love for his childhood sweetheart, Nina, and his homeland, is selfishly manipulated by the scheming Louisa, who is determined to keep him from Nina by constantly using him as her lounge pianist as the ship sails the world!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177June 21, 2022 3:35 AM

I'm very fond of A Quiet Place, which was lifted from the third movement of Rach's Symphony No. 2. Or 3. Or 4. I forget.

by Anonymousreply 178June 21, 2022 3:38 AM

Does the cruise director have a substance abuse problem, r177?

by Anonymousreply 179June 21, 2022 3:40 AM

Where else on God's green earth can you find an in-depth discussion about the movie of SONG OF NORWAY except on DL? I want to have all of your babies!

"That show has a wonderful score" Oh, my sides! Except for the amateurish, ghastly scores of recent years, I have never heard more cacophony emanate from a Broadway stage than at THC.

"Nothing before 2000 can be revived today without EXTENSIVE revisions, according to the new regime out there.:" And you know where that brain-dead "regime" can put their revisions.

by Anonymousreply 180June 21, 2022 4:22 AM

THC, r180? Isn't that the active ingredient in marijuana?

by Anonymousreply 181June 21, 2022 4:27 AM

Rach 2nd Symphony, 3rd Mvmt, r178.

by Anonymousreply 182June 21, 2022 4:31 AM

And let's not forget Eric Carmen's NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN, also a Pop/Rock-maninoff "hommage."

by Anonymousreply 183June 21, 2022 4:35 AM

[quote]One hole was always good enough for me.

Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 184June 21, 2022 7:46 AM

Cinerama was a three-camera, three-projector process.

It was big, but not pretty. It had large seams between the images.

Only a handful of films were made in this process, You can’t take a film shot with one camera (like 2001 or Song of Norway) and make it Cinerama.

But the process sucked, so they stopped the three cameras, and changed the meaning of the word. They started using the name “Cinerama” to refer to theaters with the large curved screens. Any film in a Cinerama theater was referred to as being in Cinerama.

So, yes, it was advertised as being in Cinerama, but it was not shot nor projected in Cinerama, just on a Cinerama screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185June 21, 2022 10:55 AM

OMG a few queens taking advantage of glorious anonymity on a [italic] gossip [/italic] site dedicated to theater to gaysplain antique Gil projection processes.

by Anonymousreply 186June 21, 2022 11:17 AM

film not Gil damn your eyes

by Anonymousreply 187June 21, 2022 11:17 AM

Leave my eyes out of this you motherfucking bastard.

by Anonymousreply 188June 21, 2022 11:39 AM

The most exciting number for " Song of Norway." Very much like "76 Trombones," " Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat," or " Hello,Dolly!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 21, 2022 11:42 AM

You want to damn your eyes, watch a real Cinerama film

by Anonymousreply 190June 21, 2022 11:55 AM

Always worth calling on Pauline Kael at times like these. On SONG: "The movie is of unbelievable badness; it brings back cliches you never knew you knew—they're practically from the unconscious of moviegoers. You can't get angry at something so stupefying; it seems to have been made by trolls."

by Anonymousreply 191June 21, 2022 11:57 AM

Pauline just didn't like movie musicals very much. Maybe FIDDLER, CABARET and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 192June 21, 2022 12:49 PM

Is it true the gala premiere was at The Hall of the Mountain King?

by Anonymousreply 193June 21, 2022 12:52 PM

[quote]Cinerama was a three-camera, three-projector process.

The three projectors were synced but you could see it was three separate films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194June 21, 2022 1:06 PM

The first non-three strip Cinerama presentation was "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World . All the rest were just 70MM Panavision widescreen single film projections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 21, 2022 1:11 PM

Pauline liked Funny Girl, at least where Barbra was concerned; also the Astaire/Rogers films. But her NIGHT MUSIC take down is classic.

by Anonymousreply 196June 21, 2022 1:16 PM

Didn't Pauline Kael also love PENNIES FROM HEAVEN? I seem to recall her claiming that she loved musicals and that one of the only things that she didn't like about movie reviewing was that it meant that she couldn't go to the opera more often -- but in point of fact I'd say that musical knowledge/taste was a major weak point of hers.

by Anonymousreply 197June 21, 2022 1:22 PM

Kael is fun to read--even now. Lively, cunty fun.

But a lot of her taste was in her ass, and she never let her ignorance of any subject prevent her from expounding on it for 10,000 words. She was a snob and a climber posing as a populist, and a hick posing as an urban intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 198June 21, 2022 1:36 PM

PS: as an insecure straight woman who'd been unhappily married to a gay man, Kael also posed as a hipster/sophisticate who privately resented gay men and camp culture even as she surrounded herself with both, but that's another thread, I guess.

I find it ironic that she remains a cultural touchstone for so many gay men, even now.

by Anonymousreply 199June 21, 2022 1:42 PM

IMBECILES.

by Anonymousreply 200June 21, 2022 1:47 PM

Many gay men resent gay men, so...

by Anonymousreply 201June 21, 2022 1:59 PM

IS THIS A FUCKING THEATER GOSSIP THREAD OR A MOVIE MUSICAL THREAD???!!!

by Anonymousreply 202June 21, 2022 2:15 PM

Fish in a barrel, r196.

by Anonymousreply 203June 21, 2022 2:19 PM

Well, both are amplified/loud as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 204June 21, 2022 2:19 PM

What Song of Norway song would be that show's Shipoopi?

by Anonymousreply 205June 21, 2022 2:28 PM

I actually bought Song Of Norway on bluray. I thought it might be a fun hate watch. I can’t get through the first 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 206June 21, 2022 2:41 PM

And of course (bringing it back on topic) the Original Broadway show starred flopperetta queen Irra Petina!

by Anonymousreply 207June 21, 2022 2:42 PM

Doesn't anyone on Broadway fuck anymore?

by Anonymousreply 208June 21, 2022 2:44 PM

Why wasn’t there a film of Anya? With Debbie Reynolds?

by Anonymousreply 209June 21, 2022 2:45 PM

All the musicals mentioned started onstage. So leave us alone.

by Anonymousreply 210June 21, 2022 2:50 PM

With all of these jukebox musicals on Broadway, I want to see one about The Cowsills (or at least The Partridge Family).

by Anonymousreply 211June 21, 2022 3:15 PM

That doesn’t excuse the cinerama tangent r210

Meanwhile back at the ranch…. Which producers this difficult season are the most inept? So many to choose from. Pause the fucking Song of Norway VHS, enjoy the anonymity and spill the tea.

by Anonymousreply 212June 21, 2022 3:16 PM

Any word on the movie (cinerama?) of FOLLIES?

by Anonymousreply 213June 21, 2022 3:18 PM

Song of Norway was considered a Cinerama film whether you're a 3 panel purist or not,as posted in what was the new Cinerama of the 60s. It was presented as such at the Cinerama theater on Broadway in NY. As a boy from the suburbs I would sneak into the city because my parents would have never allowed me to be hanging around Times Square by myself. I remember the movie playing there but did not go because Henderson annoyed me and now I regret it because it had a splendid 80ft wide curved screen and I'm sure it looked great. Strangely enough I got the bluray out of morbid curiosity but haven't watched it yet.

A genuine 3 panel Cinerama film which was thought to be lost for good(even Barbara Eden thought it was lost for good. The original negative was thought to have too much water damage to be salvageable) in its original 3 panel format has been restored and though not a great film it must be purchased. George Pal's The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. It looks spectacular and computer technology has removed the lines for the most part. Watch it in Smilebox which is an attempt to give you the sense of Cinerama. It comes in both regular and Smilebox in the same box. It's worth it just for The Dancing Princess with an incandescent Yvette Mimieux and Russ Tamblyn. And as always a Beuluh Bondi Cinerama movie is not to be missed.

by Anonymousreply 214June 21, 2022 3:23 PM

I don't know if The Music Man was filmed in Super Technirama or not but it was never presented as such at least not when it opened in NY. Maybe LA? It was simple Technirama another widescreen process. I did see however a gorgeous print in stereo at the Walter Reade. I went to the two showings they had and it was eye-popping and exciting. I understand the bluray is not great.

by Anonymousreply 215June 21, 2022 3:30 PM

Well, it may not be the "Partridge Family", but "Maggie Flynn" on Broadway had Shirley Jones, Jack Cassidy and a pre-"The Wiz" Stephanie Mills as one of the orphans. I've never heard the full score but there are supposed to be a few good numbers in it.

by Anonymousreply 216June 21, 2022 3:30 PM

MAGGIE FLYNN is a guilty pleasure. Saw it pre-Broadway in Detroit. Big, lumbering top-heavy show, directed by the aforementioned Morton DaCosta. Jack Cassidy on the cast album is sublime. And the "What About a Ball?" number is camp heaven.

by Anonymousreply 217June 21, 2022 3:40 PM

Sorry. "How About a Ball?"

by Anonymousreply 218June 21, 2022 3:41 PM

How about one, r218?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219June 21, 2022 3:44 PM

Not to mention, "Mr. Clown," which gets my vote as the loudest production number I've ever heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 21, 2022 3:56 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1993, a revival of "Camelot" opened at the Gershwin Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 221June 21, 2022 4:19 PM

Broadway To Go “Mask Optional” In July:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222June 21, 2022 4:21 PM

DLers, do you think lack of mask enforcement will increase or decrease Broadway audience attendance?

Personally, I'll be going more often.

by Anonymousreply 223June 21, 2022 4:26 PM

[quote]I don't know if The Music Man was filmed in Super Technirama or not but it was never presented as such at least not when it opened in NY. Maybe LA? It was simple Technirama another widescreen process. I did see however a gorgeous print in stereo at the Walter Reade. I went to the two showings they had and it was eye-popping and exciting. I understand the bluray is not great.

I, too, was at one of the Walter Reade screenings. Just great. The Blu-Ray version of THE MUSIC MAN looks and sounds great to me.

by Anonymousreply 224June 21, 2022 4:34 PM

r223

I know more people now getting it than when it was at it's worse... People are getting re infected within a few months and all of my friends have had it much worse the 2nd time

by Anonymousreply 225June 21, 2022 4:48 PM

[quote]Which producers this difficult season are the most inept?

I don't want to name names, but it rhymes with Whoredon Moth.

by Anonymousreply 226June 21, 2022 4:48 PM

Maybe Whoredon Moth should spend less time on couture…

by Anonymousreply 227June 21, 2022 5:18 PM

Tweet by Vulture journalist Mark Harris (and Tony Kushner’s husband):

This is about appeasing the producers of long-running shows that rely on tourism. It replaces a friendly version of "Our house, our rules" with the attitude that it's fine to come to NYC, use it as you please, and not consider those who live/work here. Again: Greedy and heedless.

by Anonymousreply 228June 21, 2022 5:33 PM

Oh please. All the road houses and London theatres have been maskless for months.

by Anonymousreply 229June 21, 2022 5:36 PM

Mark Harris lost credibility with me with the Mike Nichols bio. I know men Nichols slept with. He was protecting his friend Diane Sawyer.

by Anonymousreply 230June 21, 2022 5:36 PM

[quote]Pauline just didn't like movie musicals very much. Maybe FIDDLER, CABARET and that's it.

I always enjoyed reading her reviews, but, especially when it came to musicals, she was a big ol' sourpuss. Her infamous review of "The Sound of Music" got her fired from McCall's magazine.

by Anonymousreply 231June 21, 2022 5:48 PM

I don't know why I remember this, because I was very young when it was first released, but I recall that Disney's animated "Sleeping Beauty" was touted as having been filmed in Super Technirama 70.

by Anonymousreply 232June 21, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] DLers, do you think lack of mask enforcement will increase or decrease Broadway audience attendance?

My guess is people will wait and see. Older people will likely stop going until they see if these become major transmission sites.

by Anonymousreply 233June 21, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote] Oh please. All the road houses and London theatres have been maskless for months.

Rates are trending upwards in London.

Younger, healthy people may not care, but Omicron kills older vaccinated people.

by Anonymousreply 234June 21, 2022 6:03 PM

Thing with the West End is a large proportion of the audience are older more conservative people from outer London/the Home Counties, so them going maskless is more a political thing than anything based on health/science. Also why Tories Mackintosh and Lloyd Webber never properly enforced mask wearing in their theatres

by Anonymousreply 235June 21, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote] Also why Tories Mackintosh and Lloyd Webber never properly enforced mask wearing in their theatres

And Cinderella closed because not enough people in the audience

by Anonymousreply 236June 21, 2022 6:09 PM

Ethan Morrden, talking about West Side Story, said that Richard Beymer looked like something you'd find in a pie.

by Anonymousreply 237June 21, 2022 6:19 PM

People who love Pauline Kale have learned to admire her writing style while ignoring her strange and dated opinions..

by Anonymousreply 238June 21, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]Richard Beymer looked like something you'd find in a pie.

What does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 239June 21, 2022 6:20 PM

Fuck me...Pauline KAEL.

by Anonymousreply 240June 21, 2022 6:21 PM

Fuck the hall monitor

Stop trying to control what people talk about

by Anonymousreply 241June 21, 2022 6:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242June 21, 2022 6:36 PM

Mark Harris is not a random “journalist.” He has been an insane COVID hysteric from day one. I (and many others) have had to unfollow him.

by Anonymousreply 243June 21, 2022 6:37 PM

Is Harris the top?

by Anonymousreply 244June 21, 2022 6:45 PM

[quote]Ethan Morrden, talking about West Side Story, said that Richard Beymer looked like something you'd find in a pie.

I believe the line was something more like, "something you'd scrape out of a pie," which I found really funny even though it doesn't make much sense. And P.S. it's Mordden.

by Anonymousreply 245June 21, 2022 6:47 PM

I agree, the Nichols bio was sort of a disappointment. It was clear the personal relationship got in the way. It also had a serious amount of hero worship, and so many strange omissions -- his addiction, his bi-sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 246June 21, 2022 6:58 PM

The only thing Michael was addicted to was ME.

by Anonymousreply 247June 21, 2022 7:01 PM

Yes, Pauline Kael (largely) liked PENNIES FROM HEAVEN ("the most emotional movie musical I've ever seen"). Surely someone could make it work on stage (Tommy Tune could have, back in his day), but the ending is just so, so bleak (which is ultimately the point of having the characters lip-sync to cheery songs as their lives go grim) that I'm afraid it would turn people off. But, man, the musical numbers are fantastic. I've lost count of how many times I've watched It's The Girl or Love Is Good For Anything That Ails You.

by Anonymousreply 248June 21, 2022 7:02 PM

Ask Delta airlines how that "mask optional' policy is working out.

(hint: thousands of cancelled flights, massive shortage in pilots and crew)

by Anonymousreply 249June 21, 2022 7:04 PM

Since R248 mentions...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250June 21, 2022 7:05 PM

Could they flip and do the ending at the beginning?

by Anonymousreply 251June 21, 2022 7:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252June 21, 2022 7:06 PM

Pennies from Heaven has great numbers (I especially like Christopher Walken’s soft shoe), but the story is so bleak and the main character is such an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 253June 21, 2022 7:07 PM

My personal fave, since R253 mentioned it.

Walken KILLS me in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 21, 2022 7:08 PM

[quote]Richard Beymer looked like something you'd find in a pie.

[quote]What does that even mean?

If he said it recently, I would guess that it means the onset of dementia.

Just one of those lines that sound funny the first time you hear them, but that you later realize are actually meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 255June 21, 2022 7:17 PM

It means Beymer was either fruity or meaty.

by Anonymousreply 256June 21, 2022 7:18 PM

Skylar Astin, who just took dates off of Little Shop to attend a wedding, has now tested positive for COVID and is out until the 29th.

by Anonymousreply 257June 21, 2022 7:18 PM

You were a *fantastic* Rose, Tyne! So sorry they made you record the cast album when you had a cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 21, 2022 7:37 PM

I'm happy I have no tickets booked for anything on Broadway past this week. I'm going to sit back and watch Charlotte St. Martin burn the houses down. Actors Equity needed to be involved in this ridiculously stupid decision.

by Anonymousreply 259June 21, 2022 7:47 PM

On the plus side, Shakespeare in the Park starts tonight, so that'll be a safer option.

by Anonymousreply 260June 21, 2022 7:49 PM

When most of what's on Bway is jukebox crap, I don't have to deal with the maskless until I see what happens. Everyone is predicting a COVID wave in the fall. Interesting to see what Bway decides then,

by Anonymousreply 261June 21, 2022 7:49 PM

You can all stay home and watch THIS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262June 21, 2022 7:53 PM

Beth Leavel "had work done" (as my grandma used to say)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263June 21, 2022 7:55 PM

Here's a name I haven't heard in a while, likely since the gossip threads of old. Did a Google search for them and saw the references to him getting plowed by Cromer's beer can cock, and of the play about Cheyenne... Oh, the gossip threads were so much more interesting and fun back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264June 21, 2022 8:17 PM

r264

gossip about beer can cock is what I come to datalounge for! Dime mas

by Anonymousreply 265June 21, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote]Ask Delta airlines how that "mask optional' policy is working out.(hint: thousands of cancelled flights, massive shortage in pilots and crew)

I fail to see how loosening the mask mandates will have any affect on the performers in a show. A performer in a show would have a similar risk if they simply ate at a restaurant.

On the plus side, maybe there'll be no more shows where the performers come into the audience.

by Anonymousreply 266June 21, 2022 8:26 PM

Paul wasn't born with that nose, was he?

by Anonymousreply 267June 21, 2022 8:29 PM

r465, do a Google search for datalounge, Cromer and "beer can cock." (Because the search function on the site sucks.) It's a DL legend.

by Anonymousreply 268June 21, 2022 8:30 PM

[quote]DLers, do you think lack of mask enforcement will increase or decrease Broadway audience attendance?

It will certainly increase my attendance.

by Anonymousreply 269June 21, 2022 8:32 PM

Thank you for the Christopher Walken number from "Pennies from Heaven". His early career in NYC on stage placed him in one of my all-time favorite musicals, "High Spirits." A dynamite score. When I was very young, I watched the TV show "The Equalizer." Mom pointed out that the actor who played McCall on the show was also the lead male in the musical.

An early inkling that actors could do many things... like Walken... for many, there has to have been that, "who knew he could dance?" when PFH was released.

Here's the overture to High Spirits - oh, I love it so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270June 21, 2022 8:41 PM

The orchestrations are sooo '60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 21, 2022 8:50 PM

r268

is this the one?

Can we start another Broadway Sex Thread?

by Anonymousreply 272June 21, 2022 8:52 PM

Sadly there may not be much of a point. The last time someone started a Broadway Sex Thread, around 2020, it died quickly.

by Anonymousreply 273June 21, 2022 8:55 PM

What was the b-side to Downtown?

by Anonymousreply 274June 21, 2022 9:09 PM

Did Walken ever play the lead in a Broadway musical? I don't think so. He was in the chorus of High Spirits and also Baker Street (with Tommy Tune and Laurence, known then as Horace, Guittard).

by Anonymousreply 275June 21, 2022 9:09 PM

You'd Better Love Me, r274...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276June 21, 2022 9:11 PM

It's a gas it's a gas it's a gas........

by Anonymousreply 277June 21, 2022 9:17 PM

It's a gas, it's a gas, it's a gas!

by Anonymousreply 278June 21, 2022 9:22 PM

Tammy didn't need commas, r278!

by Anonymousreply 279June 21, 2022 9:23 PM

R275, And, Martin Gabel, husband of DL icon Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 280June 21, 2022 9:26 PM

Walken was a horrible Captain Hook in that NBC Peter Pan Live.

by Anonymousreply 281June 21, 2022 9:27 PM

R230, He didn't even include Mike's relationship with Richard Avedon?

by Anonymousreply 282June 21, 2022 9:29 PM

R281, The SOB knows what really happened that night in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 283June 21, 2022 9:31 PM

Mark Harris makes statement in a footnote in his Nichols bio that, though he tried to find evidence of Mike NIchols' dabbling (my word) in bisexuality and homosexuality, he found nothing that could be confirmed with named sources.

by Anonymousreply 284June 21, 2022 9:32 PM

Just read on Playbill.com that the Hartford tryout of the new Matthew Lombardo play with Jeremy Jordan and Harriet Harris was canceled. It was scheduled next month for the Bushnell which IIRC is a HUGE auditorium, totally wrong for a farcical comedy.

I wouldn't trust Lombardo (knowing him, he's probably the lead producer)......

by Anonymousreply 285June 21, 2022 9:35 PM

R230, Did Mike keep his wig on during sex?

by Anonymousreply 286June 21, 2022 9:38 PM

[quote]he found nothing that could be confirmed with named sources

So...he had sources but they refused to be named?

by Anonymousreply 287June 21, 2022 9:44 PM

Basically,,,, yes, r287.

by Anonymousreply 288June 21, 2022 9:47 PM

Just for the record I never fucked Mike Nichols.

by Anonymousreply 289June 21, 2022 9:57 PM

[quote] Did Walken ever play the lead in a Broadway musical? I don't think so.

He was the lead in "The Dead," off-Broadway and then on Broadway, in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 290June 21, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote]the Hartford tryout of the new Matthew Lombardo play with Jeremy Jordan and Harriet Harris was canceled.

I want to know who keeps backing this clown, r285. HIGH was, hands down, the worst thing I have seen on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291June 21, 2022 10:11 PM

Walken was also in BEST FOOT FORWARD with Liza!

by Anonymousreply 292June 21, 2022 10:28 PM

[quote]Walken was a horrible Captain Hook in that NBC Peter Pan Live.

I'm not sure his performance ever rose to the level of "horrible." He wandered around in a daze. I was afraid he was having a stroke on live television. When I read about his casting and the casting of Alison Williams, I thought, "This is going to be dreadful." And so it was. The producers later blamed the production's failure on the material. "I'm afraid 'Peter Pan' has worn out its welcome," one of them said. Sure. Must be the same reason the current "Funny Girl" revival laid such an egg.

by Anonymousreply 293June 21, 2022 10:29 PM

I have never dated Mike...Nichols(?), but word comes back from those who have that he's a really great guy.

by Anonymousreply 294June 21, 2022 10:35 PM

[quote]My guess is people will wait and see. Older people will likely stop going until they see if these become major transmission sites.

One of the local stations just interviewed a bunch of people at the TKTS booth in Times Square and every single one of them said they intend to keep wearing the mask, so just based on that, I think it will take people a while to get comfortable without one.

by Anonymousreply 295June 21, 2022 10:38 PM

Company is closing at the end of July.

by Anonymousreply 296June 21, 2022 10:47 PM

[quote]Song of Norway was considered a Cinerama film whether you're a 3 panel purist or not,as posted in what was the new Cinerama of the 60s. It was presented as such at the Cinerama theater on Broadway in NY

Nope, "Song of Norway" was never considered a Cinerama film. Here are the opening day ads in NY. It played a Roadshow Engagement and clearly states 70MM Wide Screen Stereo Sound and not Cinerama, that was just the name of the theatre which was formally, The Strand and Warner Theater thru the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297June 21, 2022 10:47 PM

It seems like a national tour of COMPANY could really do well cast with 90s and 00s TV has-beens. Most of the roles don't even require great singers.

by Anonymousreply 298June 21, 2022 10:55 PM

Does Jennifer Holiday have the Covid? She’s been out of Chicago since the weekend and she just joined the cast less than 2 weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 299June 21, 2022 11:10 PM

I wonder if Patti had anything to do with Company closing early with the mask mandates being dropped

by Anonymousreply 300June 21, 2022 11:13 PM

Here is the official announcement:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301June 21, 2022 11:19 PM

Come From Away and Six cancelled tonight.

by Anonymousreply 302June 21, 2022 11:21 PM

So, yeah, let's make those masks optional ... Dumbasses!

by Anonymousreply 303June 21, 2022 11:23 PM

r300

wouldn't they close on 7/1 instead of at the end of the month though?

by Anonymousreply 304June 21, 2022 11:36 PM

How will Matt Doyle parlay his Tony win?

by Anonymousreply 305June 21, 2022 11:44 PM

R301, Will it close in the red?

by Anonymousreply 306June 21, 2022 11:46 PM

He’ll be maitr’d instead of waiter

by Anonymousreply 307June 21, 2022 11:46 PM

I’m trying to track the logic here. Everyone is getting COVID and therefore we need to wear masks, which are doing nothing to prevent everyone from getting COVID.

by Anonymousreply 308June 22, 2022 12:11 AM

r308

or covid is rising because no one is wearing masks anymore

by Anonymousreply 309June 22, 2022 12:17 AM

It wasn't Charlotte's decision R259. She is just the mouthpiece. Blame the greedy producers and The Shuberts, Nederlanders and Jujamcyns. They are so worried about "getting asses in the seats" they risk people's lives to see their shitty shows and charge obscene prices.

by Anonymousreply 310June 22, 2022 12:19 AM

Ethan Mordden's line about Richard Beymer looking like "something scraped out of a pie" in the West Side Story movie actually does make sense. It emphasizes the actor's sweetness in a role that really should be played by a young roughneck.

In West Side Story's stage script, we learn that Tony is the gang's best fighter. As it happens, he is always cast with cute boy-next-door types. They're soft and pretty, so we can believe the romantic nature of Something's Coming and Maria. However, the role really needs a young man who is attractive and touching and can sing difficult music--but is also an edgy personality with street cred.

That's almost impossible to find. It's kind of unfair for Mordden to criticize Beymer for being the kind of Tony that West Side Story always uses, on stage especially.

I think he just gets in a bad mood when talking about the film because he doesn't like actors dubbed in movie musicals, and in that old West Side Story from the 1960s everyone is dubbed.

by Anonymousreply 311June 22, 2022 12:22 AM

Tony is the most difficult role written for a musical; you almost have to have a hardass play the part, rather than the usual pretty boy. I saw Paul Nolan do it at Stratford and he came close to portraying the duality of the character. Plus, he flashed his bare ass, which was a plus.

by Anonymousreply 312June 22, 2022 12:38 AM

Do the West End shows close as frequently because of Covid

by Anonymousreply 313June 22, 2022 12:45 AM

[quote]Do the West End shows close as frequently because of Covid

Does anyone still use a question mark?

[quote]I’m trying to track the logic here. Everyone is getting COVID and therefore we need to wear masks, which are doing nothing to prevent everyone from getting COVID.

Are you saying that masks cause Covid? Don't bother answering.

Here's a terrible capture of Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314June 22, 2022 12:57 AM

[quote] Could "Fanny" be revived today? —With Beanie Feldstein?

Beanie’s a bit young still, but otherwise she’s on the money casting for Panisse, the Walter Slezak part!

by Anonymousreply 315June 22, 2022 1:02 AM

For diehard Walken fans.

This is from 2010. It's almost enough to make you forgive (if not forget) PETER PAN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316June 22, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote] Could "Fanny" be revived today? —With Beanie Feldstein?

She could play the "curly girly, slinky, inky" octopus the Admiral is in love with.

by Anonymousreply 317June 22, 2022 1:15 AM

So we’re not going to talk about Steve Martin killing the tap game in that PFH clip? I mean, wtf. He’s great.

by Anonymousreply 318June 22, 2022 1:21 AM

Paul Nolan was indeed a brilliant Tony in that Stratford West Side Story. Incredibly talented performer, he really should be a much bigger star on Broadway, he can do it all and he's gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 319June 22, 2022 1:30 AM

A few more years and Beanie could do a revival of Bells Are Ringing. She’d be great in the Jean Stapleton role.

by Anonymousreply 320June 22, 2022 1:30 AM

COVID cases are not actually rising but don’t let me interfere with your neurosis and fear

by Anonymousreply 321June 22, 2022 1:32 AM

COVID infections are rising; COVID hospitalizations and deaths are not.

by Anonymousreply 322June 22, 2022 1:34 AM

[quote]Everyone is getting COVID and therefore we need to wear masks, which are doing nothing to prevent everyone from getting COVID.

Jesus H. Christ what a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 323June 22, 2022 1:35 AM

Nope - according to your precious NYT, cases are not rising either - except in your imagination!

by Anonymousreply 324June 22, 2022 1:36 AM

Sondheim never runs.

by Anonymousreply 325June 22, 2022 1:37 AM

r321

I hope that's true where you live but r322 is more accurate where I am... I know more people now getting it more than before. I know a few people with repeat infections as I guess the most recent variants do NOT give an immunity

by Anonymousreply 326June 22, 2022 1:38 AM

They should have had Paul Nolan reverse his name. Paul Nolan is not the name of a star.

by Anonymousreply 327June 22, 2022 1:39 AM

Sondheim was a hack!

In Broadway Baby, Hattie sings: “At my tiny flat…”

Americans never call their apartments “flats.”

by Anonymousreply 328June 22, 2022 1:39 AM

Covid rates in NYC are and remain high; between 9-12%.

by Anonymousreply 329June 22, 2022 1:50 AM

There were "cold water flats", r328.

by Anonymousreply 330June 22, 2022 1:53 AM

CDC: As of June 8, 2022, the current 7-day moving average of daily new cases (109,032) increased 8.0% compared with the previous 7-day moving average (100,916).

by Anonymousreply 331June 22, 2022 1:54 AM

R331, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t provide current data. Maybe because today’s 7 day average is 94,437, down 12 percent.

by Anonymousreply 332June 22, 2022 2:02 AM

Have West End theaters been canceling shows because of Covid in the last few months like they do on Broadway?

I know the UK had some massive waves of Covid infections recently (at least where my co-workers are in London and Liverpool). But I hadn't heard that their theaters close.

by Anonymousreply 333June 22, 2022 2:04 AM

Everyone is testing at home so the public numbers mean nothing. Probably rates are [italic] way [/italic] higher and this the % of serious illness way lower

by Anonymousreply 334June 22, 2022 2:06 AM

[quote]COVID cases are not actually rising but don’t let me interfere with your neurosis and fearharaacter

Characterizing legitimate concerns about Covid as "neurosis" tells me how much your opinion is worth.

by Anonymousreply 335June 22, 2022 2:06 AM

Ryan Murphy should do a Netflix series about the true story of beanie feldstein’s rise and fall and scandal with beanie feldstein AS beanie feldstein.

by Anonymousreply 336June 22, 2022 2:08 AM

[quote][R331], I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t provide current data. Maybe because today’s 7 day average is 94,437, down 12 percent.

...and your links. r332?

by Anonymousreply 337June 22, 2022 2:14 AM

Are you serious, r337? This is not obscure information

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338June 22, 2022 2:31 AM

I don’t understand…Do people think that unmasked audience members can infect cast members?

by Anonymousreply 339June 22, 2022 2:53 AM

[Quote] COVID infections are rising; COVID hospitalizations and deaths are not.

Death is not the only consequence of Covid. One in five will end up with weird long Covid symptoms.

Just wear a mask indoors until this wave is over. It’s not that big a deal

by Anonymousreply 340June 22, 2022 3:13 AM

I plan to lick Patti

👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅 👅

by Anonymousreply 341June 22, 2022 3:13 AM

[Quote] Do people think that unmasked audience members can infect cast members?

No, performers are likely too far away. It’s a perfect set up to infect other audience members however

by Anonymousreply 342June 22, 2022 3:14 AM

[Quote] I plan to lick Patti

Her hand?

by Anonymousreply 343June 22, 2022 3:14 AM

That too

by Anonymousreply 344June 22, 2022 3:22 AM

This thread needs a little Ethel in its tank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345June 22, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote]Are you serious, [R337]? This is not obscure information.

Yes, I'm serious, r332 / r328. You asked for data but provided none til asked.

by Anonymousreply 346June 22, 2022 3:42 AM

Or:

Yes, I'm serious, [R332] / [R338]. You asked for data but provided none til asked.

by Anonymousreply 347June 22, 2022 3:44 AM

‘MJ’, ‘A Strange Loop’ & ‘Six’ Among Big Post-Tony Box Office Winners:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348June 22, 2022 3:48 AM

[quote]In West Side Story's stage script, we learn that Tony is the gang's best fighter. As it happens, he is always cast with cute boy-next-door types. They're soft and pretty, so we can believe the romantic nature of Something's Coming and Maria. However, the role really needs a young man who is attractive and touching and can sing difficult music--but is also an edgy personality with street cred.

Jeremy Jordan fits your description perfectly, and based on this and other clips, he was perfect in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349June 22, 2022 4:11 AM

The only street Jeremy Jordan has any kind of cred on, would be Christopher Street.

by Anonymousreply 350June 22, 2022 4:55 AM

Jeremy Jordan's acting in that clip is terrible. He's a ham.

by Anonymousreply 351June 22, 2022 5:23 AM

[quote]Jeremy Jordan's acting in that clip is terrible. He's a ham.

Not fair, he's playing to 17,000 outdoors at the Hollywood Bowl. Everything has to be exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 352June 22, 2022 5:39 AM

Look up Ross Lynch in ACL at the Hollywood Bowl. No outsized performance but he stands out from the crowd, which includes the American In Paris florist.

by Anonymousreply 353June 22, 2022 5:49 AM

Covid statistics and Song of Norway. This is truly the best Theatre Gossip thread EVER!

by Anonymousreply 354June 22, 2022 10:18 AM

r353 He's standing out for sure, but not in a good way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355June 22, 2022 10:40 AM

Ross is hardly the problem in that clip. Let's start with the choreography....

by Anonymousreply 356June 22, 2022 11:23 AM

Ross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357June 22, 2022 11:48 AM

Gosh, thanks, R357. We would have never seen that clip otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 358June 22, 2022 11:55 AM

No Tony bump for Company despite two performance Tony wins and his actual death. Sondheim just doesn’t sell outside the cognoscenti. Sondheim is going to be relegated to opera houses and rep companies. No Broadway producer will touch him in the next couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 359June 22, 2022 12:02 PM

His actual death occurred many months earlier. Why would there suddenly be a death-related bump in June? Oh and producers are already 'touching' upcoming Broadway productions of Sondheim shows for next season. Thanks for the great insights though.

by Anonymousreply 360June 22, 2022 12:21 PM

I'd like to know your level of expertise, r359. You sound like a bit of an asshole, which isn't necessarily inconsistent with expert knowledge, but let's hear it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 361June 22, 2022 12:24 PM

what the hell is "mask optional," Broadway? They're not going to bar entry or throw you out if you're wearing one? Broadway is also "funny nose and glasses optional," as far as that doublespeak goes.

Just say what it is-- Zero mask requirement.

by Anonymousreply 362June 22, 2022 12:37 PM

[quote] Sondheim is going to be relegated to opera houses and rep companies. No Broadway producer will touch him in the next couple of years.

Come see our revivals of Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd and Merrily We Roll Along in 2022-2023!

by Anonymousreply 363June 22, 2022 12:45 PM

Lol, Sweeney Todd and Merrily won’t survive their limited runs. Into the Woods is an eight week one and done without the original cast and will barely sell.

by Anonymousreply 364June 22, 2022 12:52 PM

[quote] Gosh, thanks, [R357]. We would have never seen that clip otherwise.

Some people have lives and don't read or post on DL 24/7 like you do, apparently. I hope your remark made you feel better about yourself, because, after all, that's why you're here.

by Anonymousreply 365June 22, 2022 12:54 PM

Sondheim's shows may never have long runs on Broadway but they'll always be produced, at least in everyone's lifetime reading this post.

by Anonymousreply 366June 22, 2022 12:55 PM

You can dream R366.

by Anonymousreply 367June 22, 2022 1:00 PM

I was sorry to read about the COMPANY revival closing. (Sorry mostly for the cast.) How much of their investment do you suppose the producers will have lost, between the shutdown, reopening, and shortened run?

But just wait 3-4 years. Someone will get the genius idea that Bway is ripe for another revival.... of COMPANY.

by Anonymousreply 368June 22, 2022 1:13 PM

Didn’t Company announce a tour?

by Anonymousreply 369June 22, 2022 1:18 PM

Within 10 years, the only Sondheim shows that will be done with regularity are Sweeney and Into the Woods.

He will be remembered for WSS and Gypsy

by Anonymousreply 370June 22, 2022 1:20 PM

per Broadway News, "a North American tour of the musical is being planned for the 2023-2024 season."

Entirely possible, but I would not hold my breath.

by Anonymousreply 371June 22, 2022 1:21 PM

Joyce deWitt IS tour Joanne!

by Anonymousreply 372June 22, 2022 1:23 PM

[quote]The Tony Award-winning production will have played 268 regular performances and 32 preview performances.

Wow. Is that all?

by Anonymousreply 373June 22, 2022 1:24 PM

I never touched another man.

by Anonymousreply 374June 22, 2022 1:28 PM

Company Tour!

Patti Murin *is* Bobbie

Andrew Keegan Bolger *is* Theo

Vicki Lewis *is* Sarah

Charlie Williams *is* Andy

Andy Mietnus *is* Jamie

and special billing

Suzanne Somers IS Joanne

by Anonymousreply 375June 22, 2022 1:30 PM

In happier Bway box office news....

SUCK IT, TONY AWARDS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376June 22, 2022 1:31 PM

Too bad Company never got around to stunt casting. Imagine Mario Lopez singing Not Getting Married today shirtless with Nick Adams as Paul. In a hoodie.

by Anonymousreply 377June 22, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote]Imagine Mario Lopez singing Not Getting Married today shirtless with Nick Adams as Paul. In a hoodie.

No. No, I will not imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 378June 22, 2022 1:35 PM

To be honest, Company is not a show people want to see in hard financial times. It’s a downer musical.

Broadway needs a big splashy musical.

Shania Twain in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

by Anonymousreply 379June 22, 2022 1:40 PM

[quote] He will be remembered for WSS and Gypsy

Neither of which he composed.

by Anonymousreply 380June 22, 2022 1:43 PM

What will happen to long haired muscle stud Bobby Conte Thornton now?

by Anonymousreply 381June 22, 2022 1:47 PM

Well, there's a waiter and retail clerk shortage in NYC, R381.

by Anonymousreply 382June 22, 2022 1:50 PM

The first thing Bobby had better do is cut off all that ridiculous hair.

by Anonymousreply 383June 22, 2022 2:07 PM

Thank you Nostradamus at r370! Can you tell us who will be President in 2025?

by Anonymousreply 384June 22, 2022 2:24 PM

[quote] Neither of which he composed.

Yes thanks we didn't know

by Anonymousreply 385June 22, 2022 2:24 PM

we don't know the Company backstory re closing. Maybe Patti was done and they know she's as much of a draw as they have. Remember they've been at this thing for over 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 386June 22, 2022 2:26 PM

R383, And have that ridiculous chest tattoo removed.

by Anonymousreply 387June 22, 2022 2:27 PM

Yeah where is Michael Reidel when u need him. You KNOW there is more to the Company story than the official statement.

You KNOW Patti is involved in some capacity.

I still think it’s weird she didn’t do press after winning the Tony and didn’t even stay during the ceremony as a courtesy to see her costar Matt Doyle win and the show itself win best revival. Then she took off work the first couple days back. Then the lift the mask mandate, then they decide to close.

by Anonymousreply 388June 22, 2022 2:29 PM

[quote]What will happen to long haired muscle stud Bobby Conte Thornton now?

He should donate some of his free time to community service, as pittance paid for the way he butchered "Another Hundred People."

by Anonymousreply 389June 22, 2022 2:33 PM

Seriously, r387? The tattoo's fake. Removing it should take no more than 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 390June 22, 2022 2:34 PM

[quote]You KNOW Patti is involved in some capacity.

Sure, it's got to be Patti. Nothing to do with capacity percentage being in the 60s and 70s or anything.

by Anonymousreply 391June 22, 2022 2:39 PM

[Quote] capacity percentage being in the 60s and 70s

More proof that Patty Lapone is not a star.

by Anonymousreply 392June 22, 2022 2:40 PM

They should bring in Christine Ebersole to replace LuPone. I’d like to see her do it.

by Anonymousreply 393June 22, 2022 2:41 PM

Being said in other places that a lot of the cast contracts are up in July, so the feeling is it couldn't survive a large cast change given how weak the current grosses are.

by Anonymousreply 394June 22, 2022 2:42 PM

I suspect they are all exhausted and maybe not excited to keep going, given the drama accompanying several bouts of Covid, understudies, nominations and, of course, Sondheim's death. All those things, coupled with limp ticket sales, might be enough to induce them to quit while they're ahead--or at least not further behind.

As for the poster upthread predicting obscurity for the Sondheim canon, feh.

by Anonymousreply 395June 22, 2022 2:45 PM

Shit! I wanted to see Ariana DeBose as Bobbi!

by Anonymousreply 396June 22, 2022 2:56 PM

Company will have ended up performing about 300 performances, stretched out over two years.

by Anonymousreply 397June 22, 2022 3:24 PM

Back To The Future musical was just announced for next Spring on Broadway. The triumphant return of Roger Bart.

by Anonymousreply 398June 22, 2022 3:39 PM

Katrina has some more surgery scheduled; she's doing The Secret Garden next.

by Anonymousreply 399June 22, 2022 3:46 PM

who is she playing in Secret Garden?

by Anonymousreply 400June 22, 2022 3:48 PM

The Daisy Eagan part. I was kidding.

by Anonymousreply 401June 22, 2022 3:52 PM

All this surgery isn't doing her any favors. Her face was never very expressive and now it's frozen.

by Anonymousreply 402June 22, 2022 3:54 PM

Botox isn't surgery.

by Anonymousreply 403June 22, 2022 3:57 PM

Any Bobby Conte gossip? He’s so hot.

by Anonymousreply 404June 22, 2022 3:59 PM

picky, picky r 403

by Anonymousreply 405June 22, 2022 4:09 PM

Indeed. I hated his "Another Hundred People," but if he'd done it shirtless and without the terrible fake tattoo, it would have been much more tolerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 22, 2022 4:11 PM

That's his lesbian bff?

by Anonymousreply 407June 22, 2022 4:20 PM

Is Katrina playing the Mandy Patinkin role? Is she making a career out of stealing roles from men?

by Anonymousreply 408June 22, 2022 4:23 PM

r407, I don't know if she's his BFF, but it's Jenn Colella, who's definitely a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409June 22, 2022 4:32 PM

Bobby Conte likes to walk around backstage in just his well-stuffed white briefs.

by Anonymousreply 410June 22, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] was sorry to read about the COMPANY revival closing. (Sorry mostly for the cast.)

Why? Is the cast better than the crew or front of house? They are out of work too.

by Anonymousreply 411June 22, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote] Yes thanks we didn't know

So Sondheim will be remembered for shows he didn't compose. Pretty bad for such a prolific composer.

by Anonymousreply 412June 22, 2022 5:14 PM

Jenn Collella swings both ways. Ask around...

by Anonymousreply 413June 22, 2022 5:29 PM

Wasn’t Patti kvetching in January about her costume and how uncomfortable she’d be in it in the dog days and nights of summer?

by Anonymousreply 414June 22, 2022 6:07 PM

Just by the numbers, this production of COMPANY was a major flop. If it hadn't been for the Covid dollars they would have closed in March. Yes, we're all obsessed with Patti, but Mr. Sondheim was correct. She is not a box office star. I have my theory that for all her brilliance she's a cold performer, and audiences just aren't that happy to spend time with her on stage. WARPAINT was particularly painful for that reason. The last thing she did that had some faked "heart" to it was Anything Goes. Everything since then has been a semi-celebration of ego and pain. She's brilliant, to be sure, but its just not that appealing beyond a certain scope of the public.

by Anonymousreply 415June 22, 2022 6:32 PM

My favorite Patti performance was the first preview of Gypsy at City Center. It was obvious she was nervous and that made her endearing (to me anyway). When I saw the show on broadway the following year she was her usual steamroller self and I liked her a lot less.

by Anonymousreply 416June 22, 2022 6:43 PM

[quote]Sweeney Todd and Merrily won’t survive their limited runs.

If Jonathan Groff is cast as Frank alongside of Daniel Ratcliffe as Charley, and if both of them stay for the Broadway run after the limited Off-Broadway run, I'm pretty sure MERRILY we survive at least as long as they are in it.

by Anonymousreply 417June 22, 2022 6:46 PM

[quote]Yeah where is Michael Reidel when u need him. You KNOW there is more to the Company story than the official statement.

If there is, he wouldn't know it - but he would gladly make something up, r388.

[quote][R407], I don't know if she's his BFF, but it's Jenn Colella, who's definitely a lesbian.

[quote]Jenn Collella swings both ways. Ask around...

Or ask her, or read interviews with her, r409 and r413. Colella is bisexual and poly.

by Anonymousreply 418June 22, 2022 6:49 PM

Wasn't Jenn Colella married to Chilina Kennedy last month??

Jeez, those lesbians get around.....

by Anonymousreply 419June 22, 2022 6:50 PM

[quote]I hated his "Another Hundred People," but if he'd done it shirtless and without the terrible fake tattoo, it would have been much more tolerable.

I think the main reason that performance doesn't work is that, for some reason, the song just doesn't seem right with a man singing it. And another song that doesn't survive the gender switch at all, in my opinion, is "You Could Drive a Person Crazy."

by Anonymousreply 420June 22, 2022 6:54 PM

I didn’t laugh once during his actual singing of “Not Getting Married” but I did laugh at his shrieks whenever the “Bless this day…” bitch appeared.

by Anonymousreply 421June 22, 2022 7:04 PM

The gender switch Company would have worked much better if they had made Bobbi a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 422June 22, 2022 7:14 PM

[quote] I think the main reason that performance doesn't work is that, for some reason, the song just doesn't seem right with a man singing it. And another song that doesn't survive the gender switch at all, in my opinion, is "You Could Drive a Person Crazy."

Sondheim was too good a songwriter to change the genders of his characters and assume the songs work as well. (I know, I know, gender is an artificial construct that doesn't exist, but my dick disagrees.)

by Anonymousreply 423June 22, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote]Company will have ended up performing about 300 performances, stretched out over two years.

Which is really not bad for a revival. People tend to forget that revivals don't tend to run anywhere near as long as new shows, with CHICAGO being the extraordinary, once-in-a-lifetime exception.

by Anonymousreply 424June 22, 2022 7:16 PM

Seems like it’s been several lifetimes at this point

by Anonymousreply 425June 22, 2022 7:19 PM

Patti can belt the hell out of a song, but is relatively charm-free, except to her most devoted worshippers.

by Anonymousreply 426June 22, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]my dick disagrees

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 427June 22, 2022 7:46 PM

Song of Norway (film)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Song of Norway is a 1970 American biographical drama musical film adaptation of the successful operetta of the same name, directed by Andrew L. Stone.

Like the play from which it derived, the film tells of the early struggles of composer Edvard Grieg and his attempts to develop an authentic Norwegian national music. It stars Toralv Maurstad as Grieg and

features an international cast including Florence Henderson, Christina Schollin, Robert Morley, Harry Secombe, Oskar Homolka, Edward G. Robinson, and Frank Porretta (as Rikard Nordraak). Filmed in

Super Panavision 70 by Davis Boulton and presented in single-camera Cinerama in some countries, it was an attempt to capitalize on the success of The Sound of Music, and was the first musical in

Cinerama.[2]

by Anonymousreply 428June 22, 2022 7:57 PM

You know that song from Frozen, r428?

by Anonymousreply 429June 22, 2022 8:16 PM

300 performances at 8 shows a week is about a 9 month run and change.

That's really not a good run for any musical, revival or not. The COMPANY revival is heavily invested in marketing, in print, digital, even on TV

I suspect the investors lost everything on this.

by Anonymousreply 430June 22, 2022 8:24 PM

r418, my sincerest apologies. I shouldn't have assumed that the woman who recently announced her engagement to a woman, and who had a highly publicized relationship with another female performer, is a lesbian. I was stereotyping her unfairly. But no, I will not be asking her because I really don't care.

by Anonymousreply 431June 22, 2022 8:33 PM

r420, I actually saw it with both Conte and the main understudy (Heath Saunders) in the role, and thought it worked just fine with Saunders, who was great. My issues were entirely with the way Conte performed the song--the weird vocal flourishes and way he delivered parts of it. It was too manic and uncontrolled. Saunders's version was much more controlled, sounded better, and was much more effective.

I agree with you on "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" though. Having a bunch of men getting in a woman's face and screaming at her and telling her she's crazy (even in a fantasy sequence that isn't really happening) plays a lot differently than having women do that to a man, and didn't work at all. I found it really uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 432June 22, 2022 8:39 PM

[quote][R418], my sincerest apologies. I shouldn't have assumed that the woman who recently announced her engagement to a woman, and who had a highly publicized relationship with another female performer, is a lesbian. I was stereotyping her unfairly. But no, I will not be asking her because I really don't care.

Forgive me if I find your apology less than sincere, r409 r431. You don't need to ask Colella. You can simply read this interview from FIVE YEARS AGO, or many others like it. I merely corrected your misinformation.

Ta!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433June 22, 2022 8:51 PM

David Bowie wears a "Song of Norway" tee shirt in one of his late videos "Where are we now?". Possibly a reference to an earlier girlfriend of his who split up with him because she got a part in, yes, Song of Norway . . .

Were there any good musicals made during the post- Sound of Music revival? Or was it all a race to the bottom with Lost Horizon leading the charge?

by Anonymousreply 434June 22, 2022 8:54 PM

I wouldn't be caught dead knowing a song from Frozen.

by Anonymousreply 435June 22, 2022 8:56 PM

Sure Jan, you've been living in a cave, By the way, You've yet to post a US ad proclaiming SofN is *in* Cinerama, r435.

by Anonymousreply 436June 22, 2022 9:03 PM

r433, funny enough, I was going to link that article in my reply as another cause for my having stereotyped her. I had read that interview and remembered that she'd said been married to two women before, which, combined with her two publicized recent relationships, led me to think of her (inaccurately) as a lesbian. But you're right, she does say she's only "mostly gay." Again, my deepest, most sincerest, most heartfelt apologies for my inaccuracy and for stereotyping her.

TTFN!

by Anonymousreply 437June 22, 2022 9:10 PM

If Company had starred Anne Hathaway as Bobbie, with Patti as Joanne, as had been discussed, the show would be selling a million plus a week.

It’s like CZJ and Angela Lansbury in Night Music.

by Anonymousreply 438June 22, 2022 9:12 PM

"but my dick disagrees"

And your dick has more sense than the reality-denying neurotics (the polite word) who think otherwise.

"I think the main reason that performance doesn't work is that, for some reason, the song just doesn't seem right with a man singing it. And another song that doesn't survive the gender switch at all, in my opinion, is "You Could Drive a Person Crazy."

But the most egregious of all--Sorry/Grateful. Men would never confess such intimate, masculine sentiments except to another man and only in a moment of bro-bonding. So, so false., like much else about this production.

"Broadway needs a big splashy musical."

Broadway needs a REAL musical with a REAL score that conveys REAL feeling (long gone from our stages).

"The orchestrations are sooo '60s."

Meaning excellent, musical and tasty.

by Anonymousreply 439June 22, 2022 9:12 PM

How did this thread miss Donna Murphy saying she’s going to stop going to the theater bc of the lifting of the mask mandate

by Anonymousreply 440June 22, 2022 9:14 PM

At least in the Broadway production “Another Hundred People” wasn’t sung by a fucking Australian.

by Anonymousreply 441June 22, 2022 9:21 PM

I hadn't heard about this. Link, r440?

Thanks for admitting that you knew you were deliberately misrepresenting Colella's sexuality, r437. I look forward to seeing her before Come From Away closes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442June 22, 2022 9:22 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1976, "Godspell" opened at the Broadhurst Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 443June 22, 2022 9:31 PM

I admitted no such thing, r442. I clearly stated that I misremembered an article I read 5 years ago. It appears you're no better at reading than I am.

I do hope you get to see Colella though, and that your investment in the fact that she does like cock will pay off for you.

by Anonymousreply 444June 22, 2022 9:32 PM

Has anyone gotten Karen Olivo's thoughts on the mask mandate? She is Broadway's moral compass you know.

by Anonymousreply 445June 22, 2022 9:34 PM

[quote]Were there any good musicals made during the post- Sound of Music revival?

"Oliver!" was one.

by Anonymousreply 446June 22, 2022 9:37 PM

As a gift to you, Colella stan, since you may not have thought to look at the obvious places Murphy would say such a thing, this is from her Instagram stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447June 22, 2022 9:38 PM

The gen z they/thems on Twitter are having a meltdown because Ramin Karimloo had posted to his Instagram stories that he was excited they dropped the mask mandate for audiences.

Maybe he and Chad Kimball can do a show together somewhere with Laura Osnes.

by Anonymousreply 448June 22, 2022 9:50 PM

Thanks for the link I requested, r447. Typically, one provides a link here when mentioning information.

I'm not at all a Colella fan. The song Me and the Sky is my least favorite song in the show. I do like the show Come From Away, though.

[quote]I do hope you get to see Colella though, and that your investment in the fact that she does like cock will pay off for you.

No question about that, r444. I will be paid to see her. I am only interested in accuracy. The article that I provided at r433 (which you have now read twice) clearly states she is bisexual.

I do love this show, and I'm sorry to see it go. Here's the opening number. Skip to 2:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449June 22, 2022 10:00 PM

Jenn was terrific as Hedda Hopper in Chaplin.

by Anonymousreply 450June 22, 2022 10:06 PM

Cinerama

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451June 22, 2022 10:09 PM

I loved Krakatoa-East of Java in Cinerama. Yes, I am that old.

Sticking to the topic-Jackie Hoffman is kvelling on Twitter over that Kalukango gal in Paradise Square:

Ms. Kalukango got an audience to leap to their feet before the show was even over and it was the best damn thing ever #paradisesquare

by Anonymousreply 452June 22, 2022 10:12 PM

I bet that both Beanie and Benko are stressed out. One week ago Benko was Cinderella - she was the preferred Fanny Brice and talk of the town. Now with all of the Lea Michelle talk she is barely mentioned. …. After all of those missed performances Beanie has set herself up into a position where she really can’t call out again. Doesn’t she have 2 shows today? She is going to be hating like by Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 453June 22, 2022 10:13 PM

What about "a US ad" don't you understand, r451? Are you purposely being obnoxious?

by Anonymousreply 454June 22, 2022 10:16 PM

I was gonna produce a Broadway musical about gay male escorts, but the title “Hands on a Hard Body” was already taken, so what’s the point?

by Anonymousreply 455June 22, 2022 10:18 PM

Sondheim shows will be done by theater managers who idolize him but it will slow down considerably because his shows aren't big box office. A limited budget makes for many more difficult decisions and doing Passion isn't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 456June 22, 2022 10:19 PM

When Funny Girl played in the UK, did they change the name of the lead character? I’m sure Barbra didn’t appreciate running around the stage all night be called a “see you next Tuesday.”

by Anonymousreply 457June 22, 2022 10:21 PM

[quote]Jenn was terrific as Hedda Hopper in Chaplin.

Jim Borstelmann was lovely in that show, too. r450

I now see that r444 and r447 are the same person, which explains a lot.

Chaplin link (see how that's done, r447?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458June 22, 2022 10:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459June 22, 2022 10:23 PM

Fanny is not a pejorative term.

by Anonymousreply 460June 22, 2022 10:23 PM

Somebody has a problem knowing how beautiful we are in Cinerama anywhere in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461June 22, 2022 10:26 PM

Fanny isn’t a scientific term.

by Anonymousreply 462June 22, 2022 10:30 PM

per NYT obit for James Rado:

In 2008, Mr. Rado confirmed in an interview with The Advocate what had long been an open secret among his “Hair” castmates and collaborators: that he and Mr. Ragni had been lovers.

“It was a deep, lifelong friendship and a love of my life,” Mr. Rado stated simply. “Looking back,” he later elaborated about “Hair,” “what was really underlying the whole thing was the new way men were relating to each other. They were very openly embracing each other as brothers. It wasn’t gay; it wasn’t repressed… We suddenly realized this was a musical about love in the larger sense.”

by Anonymousreply 463June 22, 2022 10:35 PM

Mr. Rado, whose brother is his only immediate survivor, never married and did not identify as gay, but rather as “omnisexual.” Asked before the 2009 “Hair” revival opened if the show was based on his relationship with Mr. Ragni, Mr. Rado answered yes.

“We were in a love mode,” he said, “and this whole love movement started happening around us, so the show got it. ‘Hair’ was our baby in a way, which is pretty cool.”

by Anonymousreply 464June 22, 2022 10:36 PM

Got it, r461, you're just choosing to be obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 465June 22, 2022 10:47 PM

Rado and Ragni were gay? I don’t believe it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466June 22, 2022 10:50 PM

Omnisexual, dear. Don't misrepresent sexualities. You'll upset the Colella stan.

by Anonymousreply 467June 22, 2022 11:03 PM

[quote] I wouldn't be caught dead knowing a song from Frozen.

Oh, just let it go already

by Anonymousreply 468June 22, 2022 11:06 PM

Rado and Ragni together. And Dick Cavett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469June 22, 2022 11:32 PM

Why can't Bobby Conte be an omnisexualist? Who cares about Jenn Colella and the dead James Rado?

by Anonymousreply 470June 22, 2022 11:43 PM

[quote] Some people have lives and don't read or post on DL 24/7 like you do, apparently. I hope your remark made you feel better about yourself, because, after all, that's why you're here.

You posted the same thing two posts after someone else, hon. So don't act like it was something you were meant to remember from days ago.

by Anonymousreply 471June 23, 2022 12:08 AM

Don't worry about them R368. The Company producers got tens of million of dollars in government hand outs as did every other show. They will be swimming in money for years. It's obscene. I 'm on the inside and saw it all. It was like the song from Evita "And the Money Kept Rolling In". PPP, SVOG, insurance and god knows what else.

by Anonymousreply 472June 23, 2022 12:36 AM

Anyone know how long John Barrowman was in Sunset Boulevard on Broadway? I was under the assumption that Alan Campbell played Joe for the broadway run

by Anonymousreply 473June 23, 2022 12:38 AM

Has there been another major musical with guys who were lovers and co-wrote and co-starred onstage together?

by Anonymousreply 474June 23, 2022 12:43 AM

[title of show]?

by Anonymousreply 475June 23, 2022 12:49 AM

Boy, that NY Times story on James Rado really brought back some memories of my introduction to NYC theater and HAIR. It was Galt MacDermot who gave me my first job, with Ragni & Rado having to give their blessing before I could start working. And yes, they argued like lovers. My friend Susan Batson was in the original production at the Public Theater, and she was both appalled and energized by the free-wheeling Ragni/Rado mess that became HAIR. Susan really couldn't sing the number WHITE BOYS and depended on her friend, Melba Moore, to carry the tune. It was during HAIR that I met Sally Eaton, became her friend.

But the one I'll always remember was my friend Galen McKinley, who was one of the stage managers for HAIR. Galen could have been a cast member because he certainly embodied the life style portrayed on stage. He had worked for Tom O'Horgan at La Mama, and when O'Horgan took over direction of Hair, he brought Galen with him. Everyone - especially Rado - loved Galen and although Galen loved his drinks and drugs, I don't think he had a mean streak in his body. And what a life he lived. As a 16 year old, Galen had become Harvey Milk's lover. When Galen toured with the national company of HAIR, Milk followed him. That's how Milk ended up in San Francisco. There, they broke up while Galen continued on with the tour.

I've written about Galen before on Datalounge. Galen and I remained friends until his accidental death at 33.

And I always laughed at folks who said that HAIR had no book, because, of course, it really did have a book - one that Ragni and Rado nurtured, loved, and protected. It was their story.

by Anonymousreply 476June 23, 2022 12:57 AM

Barrowman subbed while Campbell took time off to make a movie. I believe he played a limited 12 performances or something like that. Wasn’t long but he and Betty were great together.

by Anonymousreply 477June 23, 2022 12:58 AM

R442 seems totally unhinged and probably dangerous. Social media has made it clear that the percentage of people with significant mental illness is much, much higher than most of us would have imagined.

by Anonymousreply 478June 23, 2022 1:33 AM

Thank you for sharing, r476. That was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 479June 23, 2022 1:36 AM

Billy Boy R476, I knew and loved Susan Batson long before HAIR and Galen McKinley during the JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR years--what a sweet spirit he was.

by Anonymousreply 480June 23, 2022 1:38 AM

I assumed he misspelled Susan Watson.

by Anonymousreply 481June 23, 2022 1:50 AM

[quote]Who cares about Jenn Colella and the dead James Rado?

Who cares about your shallow interests?

by Anonymousreply 482June 23, 2022 1:54 AM

Jenn was definitely enjoying some nice big two time Tony winning and several times nominated cock just a few years back…

by Anonymousreply 483June 23, 2022 1:59 AM

[r483] who is that?

by Anonymousreply 484June 23, 2022 2:02 AM

I'm assuming Borle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485June 23, 2022 2:09 AM

I don't know how to link to an Instagram story, r442/r458. I'm sorry I took the time to download the post and upload it to a photo service to share it with you. (I'm also not r440, the person who originally mentioned Murphy's post.)

by Anonymousreply 486June 23, 2022 2:22 AM

R485, Only one Tony . . . and it's not that big.

by Anonymousreply 487June 23, 2022 2:25 AM

So Bobby Conte is omnisexual. That means he likes it in his mouth and ass at the same time, right?

by Anonymousreply 488June 23, 2022 2:26 AM

Give Lea Michele a break.

People are so mean to her.

by Anonymousreply 489June 23, 2022 2:27 AM

r487, Borle has two. Peter and the Starcatcher and Something Rotten!

by Anonymousreply 490June 23, 2022 2:27 AM

Christian Borle is a two-time Tony Award winner and has starred in a myriad of roles both on stage and screen. His turn as Shakespeare in Something Rotten! garnered him both Tony and Drama Desk Awards for Best Featured Actor in a Musical, as well as a Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play as Black Stache in Peter and the Starcatcher.

by Anonymousreply 491June 23, 2022 2:30 AM

I always assumed Jenn Colella was a lesbian because she was too masculine and severe to attract men.

by Anonymousreply 492June 23, 2022 2:40 AM

Borle is fine but two Tonys?? Are they giving them away??

by Anonymousreply 493June 23, 2022 3:11 AM

[quote]Borle is fine but two Tonys?? Are they giving them away??

Not to some of us, they're not.

by Anonymousreply 494June 23, 2022 3:14 AM

I went to the Wikipedia page to remind myself who Borle beat for the second Tony...and while I don't think Doyle should have won this year, whoever chose this photo of him for the page is just mean. Ouch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495June 23, 2022 3:17 AM

Not necessarily.

by Anonymousreply 496June 23, 2022 3:18 AM

That said, Matt and Max are really cute together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497June 23, 2022 3:27 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498June 23, 2022 3:39 AM

Polyamorous?? So now in the alphabet world of victim hierarchy, people are going to "bravely" say they have sex with more than one person as an identity??? For fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 499June 23, 2022 3:40 AM

Hair really didn’t have a book, though. It was just songs thrown together. It took the film by Milos Forman (with a screenplay by playwright Michael Weller) to actually put the songs to use alongside an actual story.

by Anonymousreply 500June 23, 2022 4:01 AM

[Quote] I always assumed Jenn Colella was a lesbian because she was too masculine and severe to attract men.

Someone on a gay forum is pushing the "People resort to being gay" narrative?

by Anonymousreply 501June 23, 2022 4:03 AM

Steve Fickinger Dies: Producer On Broadway’s ‘Dear Evan Hansen’, Former Disney Theatrical Exec Was 62:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502June 23, 2022 4:58 AM

Colellea as Hedda in Chaplin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503June 23, 2022 5:12 AM

Weezer on Broadway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504June 23, 2022 5:21 AM

[quote] Pauline just didn't like movie musicals very much. Maybe FIDDLER, CABARET and that's it.

Sorry to drag us back to Pauline Kael, but one of her all-time favorite movies was Singin’ in the Rain. In her West Side Story review she wrote that she loved movie musicals but not ones that she thought were pretentious…like West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 505June 23, 2022 8:13 AM

Pauline Kael calling something "pretentious".

by Anonymousreply 506June 23, 2022 8:38 AM

At least you didn't drag us back to "Song of Norway," R505.

by Anonymousreply 507June 23, 2022 8:45 AM

[qoute] Galen and I remained friends until his accidental death at 33.

How did he die?

by Anonymousreply 508June 23, 2022 9:26 AM

[quote] I always assumed Jenn Colella was a lesbian because she was too masculine and severe to attract men.

That's not how any of this works. You don't get your sexual preference from whom you attract but from to whom you are attracted.

by Anonymousreply 509June 23, 2022 11:27 AM

[quote] How did he die?

I'm not sure, but I'm ready to blame Song of Norway.

by Anonymousreply 510June 23, 2022 11:31 AM

[quote] Weezer on Broadway:

He's still around?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511June 23, 2022 11:31 AM

[quote] You don't get your sexual preference from whom you attract but from to whom you are attracted.

Preference? You must be a straight Christian Republican

by Anonymousreply 512June 23, 2022 11:33 AM

I said “preference” not “choice.”

by Anonymousreply 513June 23, 2022 11:37 AM

Pauline also hated 1776.

by Anonymousreply 514June 23, 2022 11:51 AM

That money has to be accounted for R472, and has time limitations. I also work deep in the arts (and was involved with those who helped create SVOG in Washington) and everyone has to be very careful about where that money goes. Those that aren’t being careful are looking at serious ramifications, if not right now then down the line. Producers can’t use whatever tens of millions they may or may not have for just anything, including producing another show in the future. That’s not how PPP or SVOG works. People are going to jail for misappropriation, so if people you know are improperly using money or sitting on funds, they can get into a lot of trouble legally.

by Anonymousreply 515June 23, 2022 12:47 PM

[quote] I said “preference” not “choice.”

"Sexual preference" connotes that you can choose either and this one is what you prefer. This whole idea is what is used against gay people, hence " preference" is anathema.

by Anonymousreply 516June 23, 2022 12:53 PM

r512, no he's a homosexual visiting from the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 517June 23, 2022 1:07 PM

So does Lea have have the role or not?

by Anonymousreply 518June 23, 2022 1:16 PM

Pauline Kael's review of WEST SIDE STORY is a classic illustration of her musical ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 519June 23, 2022 1:18 PM

Who is totes stoked for BACK TO THE FUTURE, the Bway musical?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520June 23, 2022 1:37 PM

R500, you are wrong. Hair did have a book.. The published script was the off-Broadway verson, which had more script than what went to Broadway.

On Broadway, a lot of the script was jettisoned, but there still was a shred of a story.

The film gave more book than either script had, but it still was not much of a compelling story. Changing Shelia from a Long Island commuter student to a society princess, giving Hud and an ex, etc were mainly needed because the characters had become less familiar over time. Sheila Franklin second semester NYU and she's a protester conjured up a specific image of a type in the late 60s that was unknown by the time the film was made (even though only a few years had past)/

by Anonymousreply 521June 23, 2022 1:37 PM

Has Annie Golden's Frank Mills performance been included on any DVD releases?

by Anonymousreply 522June 23, 2022 1:39 PM

I love her version of the song too, R522, but I'm not sure it was actually filmed. I think there's only the audio recording (included on the LP) made in advance of filming.

Annie, if you read these threads, can you confirm?

by Anonymousreply 523June 23, 2022 1:43 PM

Annie wouldn't have sung Frank Mills. Chrissy was played by future Miss America Suzette Charles and she was completely cut from the film. Annie Golden played Jeannie.

by Anonymousreply 524June 23, 2022 1:46 PM

Annie Golden recorded "Frank Mills" for the movie. It's on the original soundtrack LP.

by Anonymousreply 525June 23, 2022 1:48 PM

I dimly recall that Golden was filmed doing at least part of Frank Mills on a bridge.

by Anonymousreply 526June 23, 2022 1:48 PM

I saw Annie Golden on the street in NYC a year or two ago, and I stopped to tell her how much I loved her performance in Hair. She could not even sweeter. I wish I had asked her about Frank Mills, but I didn’t think her character sang it.

by Anonymousreply 527June 23, 2022 1:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528June 23, 2022 1:49 PM

[quote] Annie Golden recorded "Frank Mills" for the movie. It's on the original soundtrack LP.

Yes, but that's not what the poster asked. He asked if Annie Golden's performance of Frank Mills had been included on the DVD. Unless he wanted to see her in the recording studio, I assume he meant the scene in the film, and the scene in the film was shot with Suzette Charles playing Chrissy. I don't know if they also recorded Suzette singing the song or if she lipsynched to Annie's recording. (If you remember, there is an Asian girl who lipsynchs to Betty Buckley's voice in the film.)

by Anonymousreply 529June 23, 2022 1:54 PM

The movie has its problems, but some of the performances (Treat Williams, Golden) are wonderful. (It's the only time I ever found John Savage incredibly, adorably hot.) And some of the production numbers are fabulous, thanks to Twyla Tharp and her dancers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530June 23, 2022 1:55 PM

I wonder if Ellen Foley gave Beverly D'Angelo the stink eye.

by Anonymousreply 531June 23, 2022 1:57 PM

The movie is incredible. So much better than the stage version. Tharp's choreography should have gotten a special Oscar. The whole movie was criminally ignored and should have been up for several awards. I have seen the film in a theater several times and Cheryl Barnes' performance never fails to get a huge round of applause.

The only problem with the film is the editing. Some of it is sloppy and some of it is misplaced, no more so than during Barnes' performance where they continue to cut away from her to an extreme wide shot of the gang incredibly far away, arguing and trying to get Hud to come back. Nothing terribly dramatic is happening there, the shot is so far away that you cannot really see what's happening other than what you figure out a few seconds into it, and it never wavers or progresses throughout the subsequent cut backs. Meanwhile, an entire relationship and backstory is playing out on Cheryl Barnes' face as she's singing, and there's no need to leave her more than twice to go back to them.

by Anonymousreply 532June 23, 2022 2:02 PM

The disco accompaniment to a number of musical tracks didn't help matters either.

1979, sigh.

by Anonymousreply 533June 23, 2022 2:04 PM

There is no disco accompaniment to any tracks on Hair.

by Anonymousreply 534June 23, 2022 2:06 PM

I would tell R534 to watch the trailer at R530. And listen.

But that would involve removing his head from his own ass.

Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 535June 23, 2022 2:10 PM

My memory is the timing of the HAIR film was off. Too soon. It needed another 10 years for the late 1960s to become more meaningful and nostalgic to audiences.

by Anonymousreply 536June 23, 2022 2:13 PM

Loved the entire Black Boys/White Boys sequence.

by Anonymousreply 537June 23, 2022 2:13 PM

[quote] even though only a few years had past

Twelve years passed between “Hair” opening in NYC (‘67) and the film release (‘79)

by Anonymousreply 538June 23, 2022 2:13 PM

Wasn't The Big Chill from the early 1980s, though?

by Anonymousreply 539June 23, 2022 2:15 PM

[quote]I 'm on the inside

is not something someone who actually is on the inside would say

by Anonymousreply 540June 23, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] I would tell [R534] to watch the trailer at [R530]. And listen. But that would involve removing his head from his own ass.

I've seen the movie more than a dozen times and I own the soundtrack. But yes, let's go with your assessment from having watched the trailer. You stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 541June 23, 2022 2:23 PM

R533, even in 1979 it was clear that the 70s style orchestrations were really wrong.

by Anonymousreply 542June 23, 2022 2:28 PM

They orchestrated for film, not for stage. Different medium, different sonic need.

by Anonymousreply 543June 23, 2022 2:30 PM

What is Cheryl Barnes' story? She didn't even have an album released until 1987, and even then, on an unknown label.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544June 23, 2022 2:31 PM

That's actually a different Cheryl Barnes, R544. Common mistake. For years I thought that was also the same Cheryl Barnes. I do not believe Hair's Cheryl Barnes ever released an album. The closest she got (besides Hair) was the cast album for The Magic Show. She also sang a killer track on the soundtrack for American Gigolo called Love & Passion.

by Anonymousreply 545June 23, 2022 2:33 PM

That makes sense. The other Cheryl Barnes is much more glam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546June 23, 2022 2:35 PM

Did Barnes and Forman have a "thing"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547June 23, 2022 2:36 PM

This is the Cheryl Barnes who released the jazz album. Even Wikipedia has them confused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548June 23, 2022 2:37 PM

What the fuck is a Jass performer?

[Quote] Cheryl Dyrithe Barnes, Jazz Singer, Vocalist, Jass Performer, Jazz Singer

by Anonymousreply 549June 23, 2022 2:39 PM

r549, maybe she put the misspelling there so her site would still come up in searches if anyone spelled it incorrectly? Since the correctly spelled jazz is there too. (Of course that doesn't explain why Jazz Singer is there twice).

by Anonymousreply 550June 23, 2022 2:46 PM

[quote]Of course that doesn't explain why Jazz Singer is there twice

Maybe she was in both the Jolson and Neil Diamond versions.

by Anonymousreply 551June 23, 2022 2:51 PM

[quote]My memory is the timing of the HAIR film was off. Too soon. It needed another 10 years for the late 1960s to become more meaningful and nostalgic to audiences.

Yes, at the time of the film's release, this was cited by many people as the reason why it didn't do better at the box office despite some great reviews and the pop classic score.

Annie Golden has confirmed that she was supposed to perform "Frank Mills" in the movie and that they were going to film it on the Roosevelt Island tram. I'm not 100 percent sure if any of the song was ever filmed, but I don't believe so.

I mostly disagree with the person above who complained about the editing of "Easy to Be Hard." I think Barnes' performance would have been a little less powerful if the focus had remained on her for more of the song. As for those distance shots of the others, I think it's pretty clear that Hud is trying to walk away from the situation and his friends are trying to talk him into staying and working it out with the Barnes character. That said, there is a bit of a problem with the editing of that scene because, if you pay attention, you can see the same woman -- either an extra or some real-life person in the park -- walking towards the camera twice, over the same ground, in two separate shots. Unfortunately, there is a fair amount of sloppy editing in the movie, and the song "Donna" is another example.

by Anonymousreply 552June 23, 2022 2:54 PM

I gather “Frank Mills” was indeed filmed with Suzette Charles, in front of the Waverly, It has absolutely nothing to do with the story so I can see why it was cut.

by Anonymousreply 553June 23, 2022 3:14 PM

[quote]I gather “Frank Mills” was indeed filmed with Suzette Charles, in front of the Waverly, It has absolutely nothing to do with the story so I can see why it was cut.

What's your source for this info? I've never heard or read that. Also, if the number had been filmed, I'm pretty sure it would have been used in the final cut of the movie if only because it's such an iconic song from HAIR. I think it wasn't filmed, presumably because they ran out of time and/or the budget didn't permit it.

by Anonymousreply 554June 23, 2022 3:19 PM

Beanie got engaged. More time off for another wedding?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555June 23, 2022 4:42 PM

She got engaged to Noah Fielding?

by Anonymousreply 556June 23, 2022 4:45 PM

That's a double insult to Noel

by Anonymousreply 557June 23, 2022 4:47 PM

Dang Treat has an amazing head of hair and it's real. Very lucky being from Long Island got to meet him and Annie Golden at their Broadway shows and I have the "Hair" DVD signed by John Savage ( thanks CHILLER!) and learned we had the same hometown on L I, Seeing NY cenrtic movies in NY are always fun. Saw "Hair" opening Sat night in it's exclusive NY area engagement at the Ziegfeld Theater and at the beginning when Claude's bus comes around the Jersey turnpike and NY's skyline comes into view, the entire burst into cheers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558June 23, 2022 5:11 PM

Back To The Future The Musical is based on a beloved movie, and can't miss! Like Mrs. Doubtfire, Pretty Women, and Tootsie!

by Anonymousreply 559June 23, 2022 5:29 PM

Don't forget The Pianist, starring Santino 'Box Office Poison' Fontana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560June 23, 2022 5:45 PM

[quote] Back To The Future The Musical is based on a beloved movie, and can't miss! Like Mrs. Doubtfire, Pretty Women, and Tootsie!

Yay!! more shitty musicals to rob money from tourists.

by Anonymousreply 561June 23, 2022 5:49 PM

R560, when you made the statement that Santino Fontana is "box office poison," I'm sure you felt certain that marked you as someone "in the know" and smarter than everyone else. But in reality, and on the contrary, it shows you to be a glib idiot, as there is no real basis for the comment whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 562June 23, 2022 5:52 PM

R562, except that part that Fontana is truly box office poison

by Anonymousreply 563June 23, 2022 6:04 PM

Tell us on what basis, R563, or shut up. And I hope you're not going to give "Mrs. Doubtfire" as "evidence," because only an utter idiot would believe that Fontana -- who won a Tony Award for his performance -- was the reason why that show tanked at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 564June 23, 2022 6:08 PM

I was actually in the Frank Mills scene in the movie as an extra. Suzette Charles did indeed sing it in front of the Waverly. (I remember she was very young and her mother was there, looking out for her.) She sang it with a guitar and the case was open in front of her, where people dropped change in. The problem was that she sang it nicely, but it was kind of boring, and wasn't funny at all and I can see why it was cut.

by Anonymousreply 565June 23, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote] Tell us on what basis, [R563], or shut up. And I hope you're not going to give "Mrs. Doubtfire" as "evidence," because only an utter idiot would believe that Fontana -- who won a Tony Award for his performance -- was the reason why that show tanked at the box office.

in addition to your utterly charming personality and writing style - and generous use of the word 'idiot' - you think Fontana was in Doubtfire when he was in Tootsie. So maybe it's time for you to go away for a while.

by Anonymousreply 566June 23, 2022 6:16 PM

Accidentally

by Anonymousreply 567June 23, 2022 6:17 PM

"The Pianist" won Adrien Brody an Oscar, but it's a much less well-known and much less box-office proven property than any of the others recently mentioned. I don't think Tony winners in flops have the same box-office appeal for people to clamour for seats as someone who won for a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 568June 23, 2022 6:22 PM

Can someone file something with the courts if they are uncomfortable for their personal safety by someone wearing a gun holster around Times Square, in the lobby of the theater, or someone seated besides them?

by Anonymousreply 569June 23, 2022 6:23 PM

Name a hit Fontana was in...

by Anonymousreply 570June 23, 2022 6:23 PM

Cinderella?

by Anonymousreply 571June 23, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]Pauline also hated 1776.

Maybe she would have liked the new tranny/nonbinary version.

by Anonymousreply 572June 23, 2022 6:33 PM

[quote]Beanie got engaged. More time off for another wedding?

Wearing a pink version of Judy Garland's blue gingham dress from "The Wizard of Oz" for her engagement photos was an interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 573June 23, 2022 6:36 PM

here's Santino Fontana's IBDB page.

Some solid credits, but mostly supporting/replacement roles. Not a lot of leads.

And while he may or may not be poison, there's really nothing to suggest that he has real Bway box office clout, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574June 23, 2022 6:39 PM

Why am I surprised Fontana is only 40? He seems older to me.

by Anonymousreply 575June 23, 2022 6:40 PM

His hairline has always made him look fortysomething.

by Anonymousreply 576June 23, 2022 6:44 PM

Sorry for the error, R566, but of course you know what I meant. And you're still an idiot if you insist on labeling Santino Fontana as "box office poison" because of TOOTSIE's failure at the box office. And.... speaking of personalities, yours is charm-free, but I'm sure that's a point of pride with you.

by Anonymousreply 577June 23, 2022 6:45 PM

Wonder how many who say the HAIR film is SO much better than the stage version actually saw one of the original productions? The staging, performances, and especially the political backdrop made the experience unforgettable. It also varied on the road and each city had its own "tribe" that gave their production its own individual stamp. I saw the Seattle tribe several times, as well as the one on Broadway. PS. I loved the movie too, but agree that it came out a bit too late for maximum impact.

by Anonymousreply 578June 23, 2022 6:47 PM

Doesn't Box Office Poison mean you're known enough for people to avoid your projects?

by Anonymousreply 579June 23, 2022 6:47 PM

[quote]And while he may or may not be poison, there's really nothing to suggest that he has real Bway box office clout, either.

No one suggested that he has real Broadway box office clout, but that DOES NOT mean he's "box office poison." It's incredible to me that anyone can't understand the huge difference between those two statements.

by Anonymousreply 580June 23, 2022 6:49 PM

It’s the scripts! Bad pictures! Bad directors!

by Anonymousreply 581June 23, 2022 6:53 PM

How is Santino Fontana box office poison?

Tootsie did badly, but Cinderella was a hit (running nearly 2 years) and Act One played out its whole limited run.

He did not open Hello, Dolly, but even so there was no noticeable box office dip when he came in.

Importance of Being Earnest lasted longer than anyone expected.

To be box office poison do you not need a record of tanking shows? Or is it now on the basis of one show? Because by that standard, just about everyone on Broadway has been box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 582June 23, 2022 6:54 PM

Beanie will do anything at this point to fill the Tony Award void hole nightmare, and whew boyo, that family photo is one motley crew!

by Anonymousreply 583June 23, 2022 6:56 PM

Another group hug of a Theatre Gossip Thread draws to a close!

Do you suppose the new one can NOT be preoccupied with Beanie and/or FUNNY GIRL?

by Anonymousreply 584June 23, 2022 6:58 PM

God Beanie is nauseating

by Anonymousreply 585June 23, 2022 7:00 PM

On a previous DL thread, it was suggested that Santino Fontana is a major pussy hound who cheats on his wife.

by Anonymousreply 586June 23, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote]How is Santino Fontana box office poison?

OF COURSE, he is not, only in the mind of one ultra-bitchy queen on DL.

by Anonymousreply 587June 23, 2022 7:12 PM

R508 Jack Galen McKinley died in 1980 in a fall from the eight story of an apartment building in Manhattan. While some of the biographers of Harvey Milk have speculated that Galen's death was a suicide, I am firmly convinced it was not. Galen was busy working on a new Tom O'Horgan show at the time and seemed very happy. Galen was cremated and his ashes were scattered in the Hudson River as well as off the Golden Gate Bridge near where he had helped scatter Harvey Milk's ashes the previous year. In 2009, Tom O'Horgan's ashes were scattered in the same place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588June 23, 2022 7:15 PM

While Treat Williams does indeed have a fabulous head of hair, that was not all his in the film of HAIR, but a complicated set of extensions that augmented his own locks.

I worked with the film's costume designer Ann Roth and know what I'm talking about. There wasn't time for Treat to grow out his hair and Ann and Treat didn't want to use a wig.

by Anonymousreply 589June 23, 2022 7:23 PM

r584, this one wasn't all that concerned with Beanie or Funny Girl, was it?

I don't know what the title title should be though, considering the scintillating topics this edition covered.

THEATRE GOSSIP: The Jenn Colella is a Polyamorous Bisexual...And Don't You Forget It! Edition

THEATRE GOSSIP: The Everywhere, Daddy, Daddy, HAIR Edition

THEATRE GOSSIP: The In Cinerama Edition

by Anonymousreply 590June 23, 2022 7:35 PM

This may interest no one but me, but I thought that it would be fun to compare Santino Fontana's credits with Rob McClure's, given the latter's bizarre cult following. Both actors were born in 1982.

FONTANA: * 9 Broadway productions over 13 years. He originated his role in 8 of them. * Of these, only BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS closed surprisingly early (very early, in that bewildering case), and 2 were hits by any standard (3 if you count his stint in DOLLY). * 4 of the 9 were straight plays, including classics by Wilde, Miller and Simon. * He's won 1 Tony and 2 Drama Desks. (Off-Broadway, his turn in SON OF THE PROPHET scored at least 3 awards, including the Obie.) * 35 IMDB credits, including recurring roles in well-known shows like THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL, CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND and MOZART IN THE JUNGLE, plus of course the voice of a lead in FROZEN.

McCLURE: * 8 Broadway productions over 20+ years. (He was an understudy in 1 and a replacement in 2 others.) * The only hits among these were the 2 in which he replaced -- AVENUE Q and SOMETHING ROTTEN, which both closed with him as the lead. * Only 1 of the 8 was a straight play (I'M NOT RAPPAPORT), and he was only an understudy there. * No Tony and no Drama Desk. * 17 IMDB credits, with only 1 modest recurring role (in THE GOOD FIGHT).

by Anonymousreply 591June 23, 2022 7:37 PM

Ramin wasting no opportunity to take off his shirt and show off his best side, no doubt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592June 23, 2022 7:40 PM

[quote] Do you suppose the new one can NOT be preoccupied with Beanie and/or FUNNY GIRL?

I agree. The theater thread should stick to what it does most: talk about casting for Follies.

by Anonymousreply 593June 23, 2022 7:43 PM

Santino F was utterly wasted in this season of MRS. MAISEL. I didn't understand the point of his character. And any unknown actor could have filled the role just as easily. I was bored by the whole strip club setting by the end.

I don't begrudge him all his hard work and success. But despite his TONY (and R591's exhaustive list of credits) I'd still venture to say that most people (including many Bway theatregoers) have no idea who he is.

by Anonymousreply 594June 23, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote]This may interest no one but me, but I thought that it would be fun to compare Santino Fontana's credits with Rob McClure's, given the latter's bizarre cult following.

Thanks for your defense of Santino, but I really wouldn't classify McClure's following as "bizarre." I would say instead that it's based on his talent rather than his track record in terms of the financial success of the shows in which he has appeared.

by Anonymousreply 595June 23, 2022 8:11 PM

R595, the commercial success angle of my post was in response to the Box Office Poison nonsense upthread.

What's bizarre to me is the adulation for McClure's "talent" -- when to me he's a hardworking professional, respectable in his way but utterly devoid of the presence and magnetism that would justify the outpourings he receives in some circles. Nothing I've seen him do demonstrates a particularly outstanding voice or physicality or comic style. I don't begrudge him his career, but I don't get the claims that he should be a big star with lots of awards.

by Anonymousreply 596June 23, 2022 8:15 PM

I've never understood why/how Christian Borle continues to be perceived as a Bway star, at least on DL.

He's hardly box office gold, either.

by Anonymousreply 597June 23, 2022 8:19 PM

R596, of course you are fully entitled to your opinion of Rob McClure, but still, I find it bizarre that YOU find it bizarre that so many people really like him and think he's exceptionally talented. And that obviously includes the producers, directors, and casting directors who keep casting him in major roles in major productions. That has got to mean something to you, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 598June 23, 2022 8:19 PM

Very very few performers affect the box office in a significant way. Hugh Jackman, Nathan Lane, Bette MIdler. You're talking about C-list talent.

by Anonymousreply 599June 23, 2022 8:23 PM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 600June 23, 2022 8:23 PM

R598, that, I suppose, was the (other) point of my post -- yes, he works regularly, and good for him, but Fontana outshines him in every way, including the range of his Broadway and Off-Broadway rep.

Then again, this is Datalounge, where I once got ripped to shreds for pushing back against those who said that JoBeth Williams should have had Meryl Streep's career.

by Anonymousreply 601June 23, 2022 8:24 PM

Comment from this Youtube vid:

[quote]To mark the 95th anniversary of Bob Fosse's birth, we present excerpts from the 1978 tour of Chicago, featuring his original choreography and direction. Also seen are the original set, costume and lighting designs seen on Broadway (by Tony Walton, Patricia Zipprodt and Jules Fisher respectively). The merry murdresses here are Melody Adams and Kristen Childs, who were ultimately replaced at the end of the tour by the originals, Ms Rivera and Ms Verdon. Seen are "All That Jazz" (0:00), "All I Care About is Love" (5:35) and "We Both Reached for the Gun" (10:16).

[quote]Forgive the deplorable image quality. With a little patience it still provides an insightful look into the original production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602June 23, 2022 8:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!