Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best carrot cake BAR NONE

I don't tend to like carrot cake because the icing has always been too sweet but the one made by Caroline's Cakes is absolutely divine. Had one delivered to our office for a bday and everyone raved that it was the best they'd ever had and I have to agree. I am ordering one for my brother's bday coming up. They ship overnight on ice. Rather pricey for a carrot cake but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2022 8:31 PM

Thx for the recommendation!

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2022 5:17 PM

Did you read the ingredients list on the website?

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2022 5:23 PM

Whole Foods has an amazing carrot cake. But your recommendation is probably better.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2022 6:07 PM

I'm afraid this thread needs to have a "Fat Whores Rejoice!" disclaimer in the headline.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2022 6:09 PM

R3 the amazing thing about this one is the icing is not really sweet but more buttery(?) I'm not a huge fan of the really heavy, sweet cream cheese type icing. This is a fluffier icing. You can taste the cream cheese but it's just a tang. Unfortunately, the nearest Whole Foods from me is about 25 miles. Someone at Whole Foods decided NASA and petrochem workers are too "meat and potato" types for some hippie "librul" market.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2022 7:10 PM

Oregon Farms carrot cake was VERY good for a frozen carrot cake, unfortunately they went out of business in the 1990's.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2022 7:27 PM

Where do you get Caroline's cakes?

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2022 7:29 PM

OP- I went to the website Caroline's cakes and clicked on the regular carrot cake then clicked on the ingredients- the cake has not only artificial coloring it also contains artificial flavoring- I think I'll try someone's suggestion here for the Whole Foods Carrot Cake.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2022 7:31 PM

R7 they are mail order. They were also on one of "Oprah's Favorite Things" list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2022 7:31 PM

[quote] Someone at Whole Foods decided NASA and petrochem workers are too "meat and potato" types for some hippie "librul" market.

r5, you live in Clear Lake.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2022 7:31 PM

R9- Oprah's favorite things we consist of ANYTHING that has a ton of SUGAR and FAT in it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2022 7:32 PM

I live in that general area. Closer to Kemah/Seabrook R10.

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2022 7:33 PM

This is a good thread.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2022 7:38 PM

$70 for a cak? You can get a bumpy cak for only $17.99!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2022 7:41 PM

R6 is a goddamn ho for taking me on that emotional roller coaster.

Fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2022 7:41 PM

Another fan of whole foods carrot cake.

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2022 7:42 PM

This would be perfect topped generously with Land O’ Lakes new butter balls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2022 7:43 PM

I am going to try Whole Foods carrot cake this week. Thanks for the suggestion!

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2022 7:43 PM

I had carrot cake gelato yesterday. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2022 7:44 PM

Make your own:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2022 8:28 PM

I love carrot cake. Why does it have sooo many calories? It normally has more calories than any other cake. Maybe because of the cream cheese frosting? Its really fucked up that something with carrots can make you so fat 😩

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2022 8:33 PM

Gentle r21: A good carrot cake typically weighs at least 3 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2022 8:35 PM

The contributions of Native Americans at R17 has been erased!

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2022 8:35 PM

R14 did not read the print:

Please Note: A minimum of two cakes must be ordered per shipping address. Flavors may be combined to reach minimum.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2022 8:46 PM

I ordered my Uncle the Caroline’s cakes carrot cake bites for Easter and he said they were stellar. I usually get Caroline’s caramel or coconut cakes but I may have to try the carrot cake next.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2022 9:18 PM

Is the coconut cake good R25? I'm also curious about the lemon.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2022 9:19 PM

R26 their Coconut is a very traditional southern style coconut cake 7 layers and very yummy. The caramel is my favorite though it’s insanely good.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2022 9:25 PM

But it comes frozen?

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2022 2:17 AM

Ugh...I’m watching carbs. Damn you all for tantalizing me.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2022 3:00 AM

R17 Who knew those butter balls were good for topping?

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2022 3:14 AM

Creamy butter is always good for smoother topping,

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2022 3:16 AM

R24 you say that like it’s a bad thing! This just means you can try their CARROT bumpy cak (when it is back in stock)! It’s still less than 40 bucks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2022 3:50 AM

R18-I looked at the ingredients for the Whole Foods carrot cake- no artificial flavor or colors unlike that Caroline's Carrot Cake.

That is the one I will try too.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2022 4:07 AM

Carrot cake does not look that difficult to make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2022 5:51 PM

r34 You are correct, carrot cake is not difficult to make. The only extras you have to do are shredding the carrots and chopping some nuts, both of which you can buy already done if you want to go the easier route.

CC lends itself very well made into a sheet cake. Get a disposable sheet pan(and clear plastic cover if you're transporting it) Any carrot cake recipe that uses approx. 3 cups of flour fills up a half-sheet pan(approx. 12" x 18") nicely.

For ease of service consider baking the batter as cupcakes. Once the cupcakes are cool a pastry bag filled with cream cheese icing makes short work of completing the project. When making the frosting don't overbeat it, too much air makes the frosting overly soft to work with(but it will firm up once it's refrigerated) Just pipe a generous swirl on each cupcake, sprinkle on some of the same chopped nuts you used(if desired) and you're done.

I'm not a fan of CC with pineapple in it, I feel those who complain about how sweet the cake is would enjoy it more sans pineapple. A generous amount of cinnamon, some scrapings of nutmeg and a splash of pure vanilla extract are all the flavorings you'll need to make a toothsome cake.

If you wish to paint the lily a little toasted coconut makes a nice garnish on CC, no matter what shape it's baked in.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2022 6:44 PM

Daisy Cakes says its top seller is its Carrot Cake.

They also ship all around the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2022 7:31 PM

Update: I went to Whole Foods today to get the cake, but they didn't have any! I got toasted almond cake instead. I will taste-test and report my findings.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2022 10:55 PM

From [italic]Southern Living[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2022 11:02 PM

Thank you, Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2022 12:03 AM

I know that Martha and her circle of purists would scold me out, but our Northeast region's Market Basket grocery store chain makes a very good carrot cake IMO, squatter in height but tasty, dense, rich and with a really great more-buttery frosting. Our area's Stop 'n' Shop stores has a nice one too, but not as good -- it's more like a version of the MB one but with air pumped into it to make it lighter and higher. ;)

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2022 12:07 AM

What do we know about Preppy Kitchen at R34? Top? Bottom? Cock size? Hole?

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2022 12:27 AM

Best carrot cake I've ever had was at a bakery called Lloyd's in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2022 12:30 AM

Fuck I want one or two of those Bump Cakes

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2022 12:53 AM

They’re really good R43! But that company is even more renowned for their hot fudge sauces!

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2022 1:42 AM

R41 leave John alone! He’s such a sweetie and such a good cook!

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2022 9:36 PM

I'm not opposed to purchasing a really nice cake, but where carrot is concerned, bake my own. I alternate between my mother's recipe (which I prefer plain, and warm from the oven) and (more often) this one, which I use when I cook for friends and coworkers. I use the recipe as is, but add ¼ tsp. ground ginger, and ⅛ tsp. ground cloves. It really does make all the difference.

And she says specifically that she uses another version of the recipe for cupcakes, as she thinks this is "too moist". But I PROMISE you, that the full cake version featured at the link is PERFECT for cupcakes. I've been complimented on them many times. I top them with fresh-made cream cheese frosting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2022 9:47 PM

R45 - it's okay to want to know the cock size, hole, etc. of good people. Question still stands!

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2022 5:31 PM

Alton Brown's carrot cake is the best.

Just put tons less sugar in the frosting. I think I use 2 tbsp.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2022 7:37 PM

I rarely bake, but carrot cake is, indeed, super easy & delicious. For the cake batter, you can mix by hand. You do have to grate carrots (coarsely). The frosting, you should probably sift your powdered sugar. IIRC, the frosting does need an electric mixer (unless you have a strong arm).

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2022 7:42 PM

R46, this is the one I make. It's very similar to yours and has the ginger and cloves you like. I add the small can of crushed pineapple and a scant 1/2 cup of rum soaked raisins. I top it with toasted unsweetened flake coconut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2022 8:01 PM

This will blow your mind, the best carrot cake I have ever had does NOT have cream cheese frosting! Yep I said it, NO CREAM AMERICAN CHEESE. Sorry you bitter fat whores, bakery chefs have figured out that sour tang overrides all the other flavors. The secret is he uses Italian Mascarpone instead. It's very creamy and mild. Not sour at all. It is often refereed to as the Italian version of cream cheese but it's nothing like it at all.

So where do you get this? R&D Kitchen Santa Monica California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2022 8:02 PM

Caroline's Cakes is based in Spartanburg, SC. Don't buy anything from that shithole, racist, homophobic, pro-life state.

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2022 8:11 PM

I agree that cream cheese (the tang) can ruin flavors, especially chocolate. I do like mascarpone. However, IMO, cream cheese does go well with carrot cake.

by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2022 8:11 PM

Fireman Derek's in Miami has the best carrot cake I've ever eaten. You can order online for national delivery via Goldbelly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2022 8:24 PM

R52- The more important reason not to buy Caroline's Carrot Cake is the fact that it contains artificial flavor, artificial coloring and mono and diglycerides .

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2022 8:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!