Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Greg Recipe Thread

Hi Greg. I know that you are not dead.

What is your favorite cake to make?

How do you utilize your slow cooker if you have one.

Is there any way to make cube steaks tender?

I fully expect snark, but I hope that the real Greg shows up….

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 4:02 PM

Hi everyone!

[bold] MY FAVORITE CAKE TO MAKE [/bold]

I like making the Reine de Saba (Queen of Sheba) from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." It's a delicious, creamy chocolate & almond cake.

[bold] DO I HAVE A SLOW COOKER? [/bold]

Yes, I have an Instant Pot and use it for pressure cooking more often than slow cooking. I use it as a slow cooker for making soups sometimes.

[bold] IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE CUBE STEAKS TENDER? [/bold]

When you purchase cube steaks in the market, they should have been run through a meat tenderizer. You can tenderize it again with a meat tenderizer before you cook it. It is best cooked very quickly.

Lay the steaks on a cutting board and sprinkle meat with a little bit of all-purpose flour and a small amount of kosher salt and black pepper. Tenderize it with a meat tenderizer or a large knife. You can use a serrated knife, or not. Just use the cutting edge and pound, pound, pound. You want to whack the meat hard enough to leave indentions about 1/8″ deep. Be careful to not cut it all the way through.

Flip the steaks over and repeat the above process.

Heat a skillet (I like cast iron) over medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter. When the oil and butter are sizzling hot and the butter's foam subsides, add your steaks and cook over medium high heat for two to three minutes on each side, for a total cooking time of four to six minutes. Be sure not to crowd the pan! Cook your steak in batches if you need to. To keep each cooked steak warm while you sear the others, put them on a warm plate and cover with aluminum foil. As long as you don’t overcook your steaks, they should come out nice and tender.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2022 12:05 PM

Thanks Greg!

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2022 12:15 PM

Pleasure!

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2022 12:16 PM

My Sunday Brunch Recipe to Celebrate the Birth of My Great-Great Grand-Niece

(I'm not having them over because of the Offender Registry thing, but I AM having two friends over for the celebration.)

For appetizers: C-Section Veggie Bombe (Braised green pepper stuffed with couscous, celeriac, pimiento and infanticcini pasta) with selected Crud-Eat-Ays.

Soup: Meconium Bisque (The bright tomato-and-prunes base lightens the natural earthiness of the meconium. And no lumps!)

Main Course: Pond Mussels Ceviche on Toast (Nothing to add, except the mussels are from my brother's farm; they grow very large from the fertile septic system runoff. A little chlorine adds to the mock-sea ambiance and reduces the off-colors coming from the fizz.)

Dessert: Fudge "Baby Diaper" Cannolis. (Always a favorite with these friends.)

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2022 5:16 PM

Prunes in soup? Unusual. But the mussels sound delicious.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2022 8:59 PM

Hey R4, are you brain damaged? Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 2:46 PM

"Greg" is really trying to make his persona a thing.

Too dull, humorless and pompous, my dear. He will never be a Blue Agave or Magdalene. Hell, he's not even a MPC.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 2:50 PM

[quote] "Greg" is really trying to make his persona a thing. Too dull, humorless and pompous, my dear. He will never be a Blue Agave or Magdalene. Hell, he's not even a MPC.

Not so, R7. But others are more than happy to make my persona "a thing." Despite my dullness, lack of humor, and pomposity, guys out here seem to like me. Even you, I'd say.

I don't know those others that you mention, but they certainly are no competition for me. Just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2022 3:11 PM

Greg sure was fast replying to the call for assistance. OP sent out a Bat signal, but in Greg’s case, it was a giant Sunsweet logo.

Or OP is also Greg. Use your imagination.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2022 3:15 PM

Greg’s cheerful refusal to lower himself to the tone of the insults flung in his direction has impressed me all along. Nothing is leas interesting than a thread that devolves into “Fuck you,” and “Fuck you, too,” and whatever may be said about Greg (who consistently omits mention of the floral arrangements on his table), losing his cool is not among his weaknesses.

And the food invariably sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2022 3:21 PM

No OP isn’t Greg.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2022 3:25 PM

R10 is Greg.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2022 3:28 PM

R10 is delusional. "Greg" routinely responds childishly to other posters.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2022 3:35 PM

R9, I am not the OP. The OP asked me on another thread if I would respond to a "Greg Recipe Thread" and I said that I would.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 3:44 PM

R10, I love.

R13 is wrong. When they go low, I go high.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2022 4:26 PM

Greg what’s your favorite ethnic cuisine to eat and/or prepare?

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote] Greg what’s your favorite ethnic cuisine to eat and/or prepare?

I think Indian food is my favorite ethnic cuisine to eat. But I also really like Korean food.

I like to prepare Thai food.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2022 4:54 PM

Cool. I like those cuisines also. My favorite is Mexican.

Is Pad Thai difficult to prepare?

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2022 4:57 PM

What’s for dinner tonight, Greg? R18, pad Thai isn’t difficult to prepare, but you will need a lot of ingredients that you more than likely don’t have.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 5:01 PM

Greg - I like cooking but am not very good at it. Can't make a sauce to save my life!

How can I become a better cook? What are your top tips?

TIA. I think you rock!

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 5:10 PM

Um, Greg, hon, you are trying WAY too hard making up your own fans.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Hey, "Greg." Do I LOOK like I'm related to you, "Greg," you tedious lump too lazy to start a blog and therefore trying to dedicate space here for yourself?

Seriously, you boring dullard.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote]The Greg Recipe Thread

If I want to make Greg meatloaf do I need to grind my Greg or chop my Greg?

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 5:31 PM

....And Armie Hammer has just entered the thread.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 8:20 PM

Greg do you use ground beef and ground pork to make meatloaf?

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2022 10:05 PM

[quote] If I want to make Greg meatloaf do I need to grind my Greg or chop my Greg?

R23, you need to mince your Greg. I'm sure you are an accomplished mincer.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 2:23 PM

[quote] Greg do you use ground beef and ground pork to make meatloaf?

[bold] WHAT TYPE OF MEAT DO I USE FOR MEATLOAF? [/bold]

I use 50% ground chuck (8o% lean), 25% ground veal, & 25% ground pork. If you cannot find ground veal, you can always add a little gelatin to the mixture.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote] Hey, "Greg." Do I LOOK like I'm related to you, "Greg," you tedious lump too lazy to start a blog and therefore trying to dedicate space here for yourself? Seriously, you boring dullard.

Hello, R4! It's so lovely to hear from you. I have to say that I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you look like you are related to me? What does that even mean? Anyway, I hope you are recovering from your recent head injury. You're right about my being too lazy to start a blog. I simply have too many other things going on right now, what with my upcoming Independence Day roof deck dinner. Plus, I'm content to share my thoughts right here on DL—it feels right to me. I don't think I'm just "trying to dedicate space here" for myself—I think it's fair to say I am actually successfully doing so.

So thanks for your comments. I always enjoy hearing from people, especially those clearly in need of my prayers. I will work at being less boring and dull. Peace be with you.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2022 2:33 PM

[quote] Cool. I like those cuisines also. My favorite is Mexican. Is Pad Thai difficult to prepare?

I really like Mexican, too.

I was going to say what R19 has already said. Pad Thai is not difficult to prepare, but requires some ingredients that you are not likely to have in the pantry.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote] Um, Greg, hon, you are trying WAY too hard making up your own fans.

Oh hey! How are you? Just to confirm that I am not trying hard at all. I don't make up any responses from imagined fans. They are all real! And I love them all. What can we do to bring you in?

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 2:39 PM

[quote] Greg - I like cooking but am not very good at it. Can't make a sauce to save my life! How can I become a better cook? What are your top tips? TIA. I think you rock!

Hello, R20! It's nice to hear from you!

What type of sauce(s) do you want to learn to make?

[bold] GREG'S TIPS FOR BECOMING A BETTER COOK [/bold]

Cooking is all about practice. The more you cook, the better cook you will become. Keep cooking. Keep making mistakes and you will eventually become more comfortable in the kitchen.

Don't be afraid to season with kosher salt.

Taste as you cook. As Anne Burrell once said, "Do you know why my food tastes good? Because I make it taste good."

Learn to trust your instincts. Not all recipes were created equal.

Don't be afraid of heat and getting a good dark color on food when you are browning something. Home cooks are often afraid of heat and afraid of salt.

Find a chef whom you like and get some of his/her cookbooks. Websites are useful, too.

Subscribe to MasterClass.com and watch some Thomas Keller and Gordon Ramsay cooking videos.

Subscribe to "Cooks Illustrated" or "Fine Cooking" or "Cook's Country" magazines. They all emphasize technique—which is so important.

Just keep cooking and you will definitely get better and more confident. Best of luck!

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 2:50 PM

I’ve been getting a lot of my recent recipes from Pinterest. I’m cheap and don’t want to spend money on cookbooks. I have several.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2022 4:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!