Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

Did anybody watch this show which debuted on Amazon Prime yesterday? It's from Jenny Han, the author of To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

Are you #TeamConrad or #TeamJeremiah?

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2023 2:04 PM

I watched it. The vibe reminded me of another show that I can't quite put my finger on. I want to say Young Americans (Summer 2000 show on The CW featuring a young Ian Somerhalder, Kate Bosworth & Matt Czurchy) even though the plots are nothing alike. I enjoyed how awkward most of the character were. I was team Jeremiah mainly for his stunning blue eyes.

Did you like it OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2022 2:53 AM

They renewed it for season 2 before 1 aired. The books are a trilogy so they'll have original source material to draw from.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2022 3:18 AM

Is it about an Asian girl dating white guys again?

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2022 3:37 AM

Part of the story feels very "Kissing Booth" with the female lead "blossoming" and her status amongst her peers changing from platonic friend to "I'd totally bang her".

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2022 7:42 AM

R3 you’re not American?

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2022 7:44 AM

R3 She's not Asian in the books. In the show, she's biracial.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2022 8:36 AM

Another change from the books is that Jeremiah is bisexual now

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2022 8:37 AM

One of the songs on the soundtrack was sung by a transgender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2022 4:55 AM

The series is pleasant enough. Not that challenging. The guys are cute. Though, I thought the hottest guy was Cam played by David Iacono who was a regular on Kaley Cuoco's The Flight Attendant.

SPOILER ALERT

With DL in mind the series should be labelled a horror series, because in the final episode Laurel, one of the moms, DRAINS THE PASTA!!!!! And a colander is being used as well.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2022 11:55 PM

Does this star Chrissie Metz?

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 12:06 AM

This show sounded more interesting when I misread the title as “The Summer I Turned Petty”

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 12:31 AM

David Iacono is the cutest. The guy she is into is a dick character and has smarmy "handsome" looks. Just on episode 1.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 8:48 PM

[quote]They renewed it for season 2 before 1 aired. The books are a trilogy so they'll have original source material to draw from.

Apparently, they've already diverged from the books. In the books, the mother dies offstage between the first book and the second book.

I wonder why they went with a full season rather than just doing three movies like the other teen movies like Kissing Booth of To All the Boys (the author's other books).

Is it worth watching for mindless, inoffensive, entertainment?

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 9:14 PM

Its one of those teen shows that I don't have to really watch to enjoy. Makes me remember fondly my teen summers at the beach while I do other tedious crap like fold laundry, pay bills, order groceries blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 9:20 PM

I will say its not trashy fun or stylized or ironic at all. I preferred the Lake which is a bit more inventive and modern.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 9:29 PM

I turned pretty one summer

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 9:30 PM

I won't watch it because I can't identify with the title. I've always been pretty.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 9:31 PM

I watched the scene where Jeremiah mentions making out with guys at the same pool. Does he have any romantic scenes with guys?

I want to see Gavin Casalegno’s magnificent lips in action.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 9:39 PM

R17 is pretty ugly and pretty apt to stay that way.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 9:40 PM

R18 he makes out with a guy at a party.

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 10:47 PM

All the hot guys in the show are straight irl, I'm bummed.

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2022 10:55 AM

Who’s the WOP with the big lips? Is he really bi?

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2022 6:44 PM

It’s anyone’s guess, R22. Gavin is from Texas and has always been kinda religious. But according to social media, Gavin appears to have moved to NYC. It seems like he’s broken up with his more famous model “girlfriend” Larsen Thompson, but they always had a bestie vibe to me. Plus he’s kinda fem sometimes and he’s way more obsessed with his own lips than anyone else. He apparently spends his days playing beach volleyball.

Of course he could be studying for a PhD or something off social media, but he seems to just be a beautiful airhead.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2022 7:16 PM

He's really beautiful, that Gavin guy.

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2022 7:09 PM

Season two is out on the 13th.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2023 8:37 AM

Gavin/Jeremiah is beautiful. But IMO they need to make him at least Bi leanning Gay. They seemed to show him as sexually fluid in Season one's early episodes, but then they started the fucking love triangle bullshit. I love Conrad. But I have to say, this is another banal mediocre poorly written YA TV series. The characters, except for the two brothers, are one dimensional cliches.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2023 10:38 PM

I watched the first season in two days. It took me three tries to get through the first episode of the new season. The time jumps are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2023 8:07 AM

The writing and acting is worse than annoying. The actors who play Jeremiah and Conrad are the only two who seem to know what they're doing. And I honestly cannot stand "Belly"'s mother.

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2023 2:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!