Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The ‘Hardening’ of America

[QUOTE]The America conservatives envisage is bristling with guns. Schools and stores resemble prisons. Strong men are in power. This America is heavily policed, its communities guarded by gun owners en masse. Solidarity is nonexistent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2022 7:46 PM

Lemme guess, there's a reference in that piece to how this is "harmful to marginalized people." and in edition to that, it's filled with hyperbole....

...Oh look, spotted it ---> "Schools and stores resemble prisons." Does that mean a body cavity check if you want to go to math class to get an overprice coffee? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2022 5:43 PM

Love it! Just like Heaven, until I can be with Him, y'all! 🙌🙌🙌🙌

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2022 5:56 PM

R1 wants more prayer in schools.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2022 6:39 PM

R3 Hardly, since I'm an atheist. Keep on pigeonholing, though and believing hyperbole is an accurate summation of a different position.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]The America conservatives envisage is bristling with guns.

So it would be the same way America has actually been for most of its history.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2022 7:27 PM

But they want more, R5, and readily visible.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2022 8:13 PM

The US has become Brazil. Corrupt, militaristic right wing government changes hands every few years with an incompetent leftist faction that profligately spends money on their supporters with nothing to show for it in societal improvement. Income inequity is so enormous that an oligarchy lives in five star hermetically sealed maximum security compounds, gating off the poor while mocking them through those gates. Evangelical grifters work over rich and poor, forming an unholy alliance with the militarists. Guns, sex, gangs, drugs, pollution, environmental destruction, escalate from social problem to toxic subcultures. Media is a circus of sensationalism, own by the oligarchs to dazzle the masses. Just another shithole country.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2022 8:26 PM

[QUOTE] The US has become Brazil. Just another shithole country.

But with far less hotter men.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2022 8:43 PM

[quote]R1: and in edition to that...

Oh, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 8:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote]The ‘Hardening’ of America

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2022 1:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 31, 2022 3:07 PM

"But with far less hotter men."

You're forgetting about me, the manliest of manly men.

by Anonymousreply 13July 31, 2022 3:19 PM

What and where? My city has no police force to speak of. It’s everyone for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 14July 31, 2022 3:47 PM

Thier idea of a perfect society sure is an ugly, angry, hopeless place. Sorry we have to go along for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 15July 31, 2022 4:14 PM

What city is that, R14?

by Anonymousreply 16July 31, 2022 5:09 PM

I can’t blame Starbucks for their new bathroom policy. Imagine the poor kids who had to clean up that mess!

by Anonymousreply 17July 31, 2022 6:36 PM

[R16] New Orleans . Average wait time for an emergency response is two and a half hours.

by Anonymousreply 18July 31, 2022 10:03 PM

Doesn't this article basically describe Americans exactly as armed at the time of America's founding?

I'm in Britain and it seems to me this level of everyone-armed is how you traitors to the King managed to throw us rightful owners of your country out.

by Anonymousreply 19July 31, 2022 10:08 PM

" Liberal cities, he observed, thus had something in common with the hated Trump administration: a hostile attitude to the poor and unhoused, which hasn’t changed since Trump left office."

Conservatives have a hostile attitude to the poor and unhoused because they want to paint big, blue, diverse cities as places of chaos and failed public policy (which they can be to varying degrees) - not because they're simply hostile towards the homeless but because they're hostile towards everyone who's not Republican/conservative who often reside in those cities - and they'd be hostile towards all those people regardless of whether there were homeless or not. They'd just pick a different target that are prevalent in big cities - like gays in previous eras.

Liberals in big cities are hostile toward the poor and unhoused because they have to live around them and deal with the negative effects of large homeless populations. It's on-the-ground, real life hostility. That hostility usually comes after a period of trying to be sympathetic towards the situation and is usually in relation to the size of the actual problem. If there's a few homeless people in the area, the hostility is low or non-existent. If there's enormous homeless encampments with people committing crimes, acting out, shitting on the street, the hostility can be understandably higher if the person has to deal with it on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 20July 31, 2022 10:24 PM

[quote]I'm in Britain and it seems to me this level of everyone-armed is how you traitors to the King managed to throw us rightful owners of your country out.

Well, we could have waited until the twentieth century and just nuked you fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2022 10:18 AM

We have nukes too, r21.

If you were remotely well informed you would have known that, and therefore known how stupid your comment sounds.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2022 10:37 AM

[quote]I'm in Britain and it seems to me this level of everyone-armed is how you traitors to the King managed to throw us rightful owners of your country out.

Rightful owners, you say?

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2022 10:38 AM

**Shrugs**

Nobody in Britain cares about that. That's for all of you to work out amongst yourselves, r23

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2022 11:01 AM

How did this turn into a discussion on British colonial history?

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2022 4:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2022 7:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2022 7:34 PM

We use the Prussian school system. It's designed only to make docile factory workers and obedient soldiers. It exacerbates divisions and allowed the Nazis to rise to power. Now it sounds like the schools are now set to turn out peaceful prisoners. It's a win because that's the only place there are any factory jobs.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2022 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!