Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Guy Ritchie will direct Disney’s live action Hercules

Who will play the muscled demigod?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2022 8:19 PM

There's only one person capable of playing Hercules. Anyone else is just heteronormative propaganda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2022 9:17 PM

Hercules, Hercules!

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2022 9:17 PM

Hemsworth. There is no other logical choice.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2022 9:18 PM

Zane Phillips

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2022 9:19 PM

If he's played by a white actor the character will be a himbo. If a black actor he'll be portrayed as a Mensa candidate.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2022 9:29 PM

Hercules is a himbo. A sweet goofy hot guy who wants to be a hero. He must be played by a hot strapping redheaded guy. Megara must be played by a very sexy Mediterranean actress. I like the contrast of their design.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2022 9:41 PM

Zendaya must be Megara. I will accept no others.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2022 9:42 PM

Megara is supposed to be a sultry femme fatale with a Lauren Bacall/Veronica Lake allure. Susan Egan's sexy voice is too distinctive too. They'll really need to nail this one because she's a Disney female character with a lot of depth too. Ariel, Jasmine and Belle aren't the most complex characters if I'm going to be honest. Characters like Megara and Esmeralda are adults not rebellious teens, so much more nuance is needed for them.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2022 9:45 PM

Kellan Lutz certainly had the body for it when he played Hercules, but he was otherwise awful in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2022 12:43 AM

Prince Eric, Aladdin, Hercules, Tarzan and David from Lilo and Stitch definitely informed me of my homosexuality as a kid. Flynn from Tangled, Naveen from Princess and the Frog and Tadashi from Big Hero 6 were also pretty hot for animated characters.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2022 12:50 AM

It’ll be Billy Porter and you’d better like it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2022 12:54 AM

Lindsey Graham

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2022 12:54 AM

Klan Granny has arrived at r5

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2022 12:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2022 12:56 AM

Hero Fiennes Tiffin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2022 1:03 AM

If it’s based on the well-received update done by the Public a couple of summers ago, then Hercules will be black.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2022 1:05 AM

Jacob Elordi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2022 1:06 AM

So far Disney hasn't cast unattractive people in their live-action remakes. They miscast sometimes though. Emma Watson did not fit the luscious beauty of Belle who looked like a mix of Audrey Hepburn, Liz Taylor and Angelina Jolie. Naomi Scott didn't look Arab or Persian enough to me for Jasmine, Princess Ameerah of Saudi Arabia is what I pictured.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2022 1:09 AM

Cody Christian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2022 1:12 AM

R14 kinda looks like Froy

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2022 1:15 AM

Damani Sease

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2022 1:18 AM

Hercules looked like the Greek statute version of his voice actor Tate Donovan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2022 1:25 AM

r21, are you TRYING to trigger the DL racists?!???

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2022 1:28 AM

r23 if I was going to do that I would aim for a black obese ftm.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2022 1:30 AM

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2022 1:36 AM

I don't understand why people get so offended by Disney live-action casts. First of all, all of their characters are basically 20th/21st century white American anyway regardless of the time period the animated feature is set. They never been historically accurate or representative of the culture. So why should they pretend to be more accurate now. They did fix some of the more offensive issues of Aladdin but it was still an Orientalist entertainment film for Western audience that mixed Arab, Persian and Indian culture. Hercules has little to do with the actual Greek myth to begin with and was basically Superman combined with Moses/Jesus narrative. So who gives a shit who is cast?

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2022 1:39 AM

Now if Disney touched Pocahontas again, it be interesting to see. Would they maintain that fake Romeo-and-Juliet fairy tale or go for the historically accurate route? Pocahontas II was despised despite being more accurate than the first one. I don't think Disney would take a risk with it though.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2022 1:46 AM

r26

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2022 3:37 AM

R28 Except for Jasmine and Aladdin who are voiced by white actors with Southern California accents.

Most Disney characters are voiced by actors of the same race. Mulan is voiced by a Chinese actress. Pocahontas is voiced by an Indigenous woman. Tiana is voiced by a black woman. Moana is voiced by a Pacific Islander. All of them sound American as hell though. Except the villains who have British accents.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2022 3:47 AM

^ the relevance is the same...

I'm also reminded of the racial uplift of fair skin ginger characters and the uncouth meme in regards to that... but with the frequency it happens moving a fair skin ginger to black, you gotta wonder if it's true and the industry is just playing itself and everyone else outright.

The real problem in all this regardless of how much Aladdin made... the film was utter shit because of the smurf. There's the strong likelihood of this being shit as well. And that Disney ultimately doesn't care because they know they'll make $$$ on the brand while the production will allow them to inheritly own the entire myth of Hercules. . . just as they do with their other properties and try to prevent alternatives come out.

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2022 3:48 AM

What is a Southern Californian accent? I used to think that SNL skit The Californians was funny, but does anyone talk that way?

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2022 3:57 AM

Hercules was apparently unpopular in Greece because they are very proud of their history and found it too Americanized for their tastes. Disney actually remade Mulan and made it far more accurate to the ballad because China is such a huge box office profit now. Chinese hated the original Disney Mulan because they are also proud of their culture and found it too American too. The portrayal of Mushu was offensive to them because dragons are seriously respected. Mulan going behind her parents back when she had her father's permission in the original tale.

Arab-Americans were not impressed with Aladdin because it was a lot of offensive stereotypes like this kingdom in the Middle East being all sand and rock, Jasmine being a princess dressed like an Indian belly dancer/harem slave, the song Arabian Nights "they'll cut off your ears if they don't like your face", and the fact it was supposed to be set in Baghdad before being changed to Agrabah because of the Gulf War. This is old though, many British weren't fans of Disney making Peter Pan, Winnie-the-Pooh or Alice in Wonderland. The Aladdin remake placed it more in India, gave the actors more accurate clothing and Jasmine was dressed more modestly and appropriate for a princess.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2022 3:58 AM

I detest all Guy Ritchie movies. He sucks as a director

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2022 4:01 AM

[Quote] The Aladdin remake placed it more in India, gave the actors more accurate clothing and Jasmine was dressed more modestly and appropriate for a princess.

Except Aladdin is an Arab story, not an Indian one

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2022 4:03 AM

The Rock.

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2022 4:06 AM

R31 It's very clear and creaky. A bit slow. Think Cameron Diaz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sean Penn, Alicia Silverstone, Paul Walker, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Kim Kardashian, etc

Aladdin's speech patterns, he always sounds like he's about to say "bro" or "dude."

r34 Yes, it is. All the names are Arab like Aladdin, Jafar, Jasmine and Abu and the story comes from 1001 Nights. But Hollywood is lazy, the original cartoon had Indian elements like Jasmine's belly outfit and her pet tiger Rajah and her palace looked like the Taj Mahal. Aladdin was dressed like an Indian peasant too but with a Turkish fez. There's also Persian script and Assyrian statues. So it mixed a lot of culture together. It's an Orientalist fantasy. Arab cultures, men and women dress modestly and even before Islam that was the case because desert environments, it's a dry heat and loose long clothing is more effective at protecting yourself from heat exhaustion. Jasmine and Aladdin were just designed to be sexy looking but they do look Arab.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2022 4:07 AM

Brock O'Hurn. First choice.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2022 4:10 AM

Who needs a new version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2022 4:49 AM

Madonna in da house at R33!

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2022 7:57 AM

They are fictional characters, I don't understand why they need to be so racially "accurate". This works both ways, to be played or voiced by caucasian actors or replace white characters with other races. Pocahontas on the other side it's an historical character, you shouldn't white washing her. I would skip a romantic "version" for kids all together.

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2022 10:24 AM

Guy Ritchie has the most annoying face.

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2022 10:45 AM

Disney is known for endless releases or re-releases. They constantly re-release the same animated films on DVD/Blu-Ray every other year. They also release a new set of Disney Princess dolls every year as well. One doll of each princess is enough for me, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2022 10:53 AM

[quote] Hercules looked like the Greek statute version of his voice actor Tate Donovan.

Greek law is a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2022 2:34 PM

Why are they giving Guy Ritchie another one when he did so bad with Aladdin?

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2022 3:52 PM

R44 Because it’s easier to blame the actors instead of Directors.

And directors have more pull in Hollywood. Despite what “best person for the job” people think, it’s always been about politics.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2022 5:14 PM

Directors are overrated. There are many hardworking and brilliant directors of course. But then there's many hacks who get credit for the work that writers, casting directors and actors do.

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2022 5:16 PM

R36 I'm a Brit, so I'm probably mistaken but am I alone in hearing some NYC in DiCaprio's natural accent (from his dad), at least in his younger years?

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2022 11:24 PM

R20 Funny this is being made, as this happens to be Froy's favorite Disney movie as a kid. He's probably begging for a role in it.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2022 5:03 AM

R48 He'll need to bulk up then

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2022 5:08 AM

Guy Ritchie? He’d probably cast Jason Statham if he could. But seriously, it doesn’t matter who directs these live action Disney movies, any individual, artistic style the director has will be sucked right out of them to fit the formula and template. They may as well just be directed by committee. See: most Marvel movies, particularly Eternals.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2022 5:18 AM

R44 right? I didn't think Aladdin was good. They could have picked someone else but then that would involve taking a risk. And i like the Cody Christian suggestion for Hercules.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2022 5:32 AM

[quote] Why are they giving Guy Ritchie another one when he did so bad with Aladdin?

Because it made about a billion dollars?

by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2022 3:19 AM

Billy Porter as Hades.

And James Corden ( off course ) will be Phil the Satyr.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2022 6:31 AM

Ugh! Who the fuck chose him? His movies suck ass!

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2022 6:41 AM

r46 the popular directors of the now are those are directionless and let the grossly entitled little pricks/clits run wild while they blow a constant ring of smoke up their derrieres. . . because once they move into directing, then we're hearing tales of harassment and mental health woes on social media and in the press.

r54 Some would suggest this is a problem of the industry circlejerk. The monopolization and nepotism is discussed far more with the UK industry but it plays out to the same extent with Hollywood. Simplistically, it's the dearth of new blood in the industry that isn't somehow related to someone already within the industry. . . but the bigger picture of it is that this is has created a culture of stagnation in which too much favoritism is exploited and the quality of work is suffering because all they're really doing is producing more of the same; tribal and yet apathetic in the same breadth with people that rarely venture outside of their own cliques.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2022 6:46 AM

Kevin Sorbo's been the only one to pull it off so far, they should include him

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2022 6:47 AM

[Quote] Kevin Sorbo's been the only one to pull it off so far, they should include him

Should they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2022 11:13 AM

r57 It would get a lot of publicity with the endless screams of how Disney shouldn't be political by employing him... which will overshadow the lesbian protests demanding equal representation for Xena and Gabrielle while rightfully asking for Hope to be retconned out of the storyline and saving Akemi from suicide.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2022 11:32 AM

Arnold Schwartenager's son who is all grown up with a great Hercules body and an earthy personality, that will be his big break into movies... the out of wedlock son her had with the housekeeper while he was still married to Maria... I don't recall the kid's name, but he looks just like a young Arnold!

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2022 11:48 AM

What happened to Ritchie..didn't he used to be hot?

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2022 2:13 PM

He GOT OLD, you pea brain!

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2022 2:16 PM

My god, another one of these shitty live action films?

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2022 2:36 PM

[Quote] while rightfully asking for Hope to be retconned out of the storyline and saving Akemi from suicide.

I liked the Hope storyline.

by Anonymousreply 63June 21, 2022 10:27 AM

If only Guy and Madge were still together. He could have cast her as the first female Hercules. Groundbreaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2022 7:51 PM

[quote]Ariel, Jasmine and Belle aren't the most complex characters if I'm going to be honest.

Thank you for your honesty.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2022 8:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!