Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THE PROS OF PERCOLATOR COFFEE

Any fans of percolator coffee on here? Anyone using a vintage percolator? Personally, I'm a fan. I think they make much, much better coffee than the new coffee pod machines or even drip coffee makers. I also like the smells and sounds of percolator coffee.

The pros of using the percolator method to make coffee are almost directly related to the taste. Coffee made in a percolator has a richer and deeper flavor than drip coffee, however, it is not always the most efficient way to brew your morning cup.

Anyone else love their percolator coffee?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2023 11:51 AM

I love the silver one they use in the opening scene of Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2022 5:25 PM

Big perc pot fan here. I use an older electric perc pot on a daily basis, and when I travel for work and stay for more than a few days, I bring a smaller stovetop perc pot with me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2022 5:25 PM

Do you have an adjustable strength brew setting on your percolator? I prefer the "strong" setting.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2022 5:27 PM

Ha! My power surged multiple times yesterday and seems it fried the coffeemaker.

Camping perc pot for me this morning. I could tell no difference except for the wait.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2022 5:31 PM

I still have my mom's great electric percolator from the 1950s. I use it only on the weekends. I grind the beans first,. The percolating takes 15-20 minutes but worth it. The taste is better than drip or store bought.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2022 5:40 PM

I love coffee percolators! On a daily basis I use a moka pot since it’s just for me, but whenever I have company I always break out the percolator. I love that for both the moka pot and the percolator there are no filters involved.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2022 5:47 PM

I don't have one but my grandmother had one of those old corningware stovetop percolators. I loved that smell as a kid, waking up to the smell of bacon and coffee percing away. My mother had one as a back up for years but finally got rid of it and I wish I had snagged it. The coffee was much better.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2022 5:53 PM

R6 - I love my moka pot, but I also need a percolator for when I have company. I bought a camp-style one but I don't like it. Anyone here have some recommendations for a good electric or stove top percolator brand? I've done my research but there are so many options and styles that my head is spinning a bit.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2022 5:53 PM

R8 Go vintage and metal. They last forever. Also I suggest electric, as they are easier than the stove models. My go-to is GE 1950s-1970s. I like the GE PotBelly Stainless Steel model from the 1950s and the GE Immersible Stainless Steel model from around the 1960s-1970s.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2022 6:00 PM

Farberware super-fast. Makes great coffee.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2022 6:05 PM

Thank you for those recommends. Looking into it now! I definitely would prefer an electric one.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2022 6:12 PM

R8, I also recommend Farberware. I have the 8-cup electric perc pot and I have had it for 15 years with no issue. It does get stained inside, but I also found this wonderful powder to run through the pot that descales it. The only problem I have had with the pot was that after about 13 years, the handle got a little loose, but I just tightened the screw and it's fine.

As for stovetop, I bought a Coletti Bozeman camping coffeepot. I have only used it for one trip (but for two months daily) and am taking it on another trip with me. I can highly recommend it.

The only thing I can say about electric over stovetop is that if you're in another room, electric is much easier to monitor and takes less time. When you plug in the electric, it starts perking. And you hear it. When you stop hearing it, the coffee is ready. With the stovetop, you put it on the burner, the water has to boil, and THEN it has to perk through for 7-10 minutes, so you have to keep an ear out for when the perk starts and time it.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2022 6:35 PM

The electric is also great because after it stops percolating and is ready, it will remain heating until you turn it off. It will still taste great even after 3 hours of heating.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2022 6:40 PM

After a little more research, I just ordered a Farberware 8 cup electric. It's exactly what I've been looking for and it has gotten mostly good reviews. I have a small studio apt, and the kitchen is, shall we say, compact, so it will work just fine.

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2022 7:20 PM

I still have my electric countertop Corningware from the 70s, but haven’t used it in at least 30 years. When I was still working, coffee makers with a timer and auto-off were a necessity for me. I’ve used a Keurig for the last several years out of laziness.

Recently, I went to an estate sale and bought a stainless, electric West Bend “Flovo-Matic” percolator. It appears completely unused, and has all the original tags and packaging. According the tag on it, it originally sold for $13.50, which seems high for the late 50s/early 60s. Maybe I’ll try it out.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2022 9:34 PM

Do any DLers who have an induction range know of a good stovetop percolator?

I have learned to my dismay that all stainless steel is not magnetic. News to me!

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2023 11:24 PM

I'm too young (and that is saying something) to ever have had percolator coffee, but I found this guys video interesting.

He was not a fan, and I probably wouldn't be either, but coffee is in itself, an acquired taste, so if you are used to using percolators, I could see why someone would prefer it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2023 11:33 PM

I've always wanted to try one. I mainly use French presses. But thought of buying one. I heard it's still a popular brewing method in some European countries.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2023 11:43 PM

I wish I drank coffee. Is there a percolator tea maker?

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2023 11:59 PM

At 86 my mom stills prefers Nescafé for herself, (dad didn’t drink coffee), so I still associate a percolator with having company over when I was a kid. I do hate Keurig coffee - it’s to damn cold as soon as you add milk. Since I’m in NYC I can always get deli coffee on the corner both at home and at work. I’m happy as long as it’s caffeinated and very hot, I don’t drink it for the taste.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 12:01 AM

I like percolator coffee, but I'm lazy and they're a pain to clean, so I'll stick with K-Cups.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 3:14 AM

Perc pots couldn't be easier to clean if you were paralyzed.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 3:23 AM

Nobody uses a coffee percolator on their induction cooktop?

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 11:09 AM

Induction cooktops require a new special kind of cookware - percolators are pretty niche these days - the right kind may not exist.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 3:03 PM

PercUlator to you, bub.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 3:07 PM

R23, I just looked it up for you. You can use a stovetop perc pot on an induction stovetop, but you should use an induction plate between them. These are good for other kinds of stovetop cookware, as well. Amazon sells them for about $25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 4:57 PM

Thanks, r26. I have one of those plates, but I was hoping to find a smooth bottom, magnetic, stainless steel percolator that will work directly on my induction range.

Sadly I've learned that not ALL stainless steel is magnetic and most of the stainless steel percolators I'm finding are made with non-magnetic stainless.

Currently I am checking European sellers and Japanese sellers where induction is more prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 5:25 PM

Yeah, you got me curious, R27, so I did a search. The closest thing I can find is from Bialetti, but it's closer to a Moka pot than a percolator, and I wouldn't want to recommend it to pass for true perked coffee. Let us know if you find anything!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 5:42 PM

[quote]THE PROS OF PERCOLATOR COFFEE

Pro: My maid Alice made coffee so strong, it always made me have to take a big shit.

Con: We had no toilets in the house, so I usually ended up squatting behind Tiger's dog house.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 5:45 PM

I Googled induction coffee percolator and got hits for stainless percolators that should work. I'd try the Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2023 5:49 PM

Richard got married to a figure skater, and he bought her a dishwasher and a coffee percolator.

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2023 6:04 PM

R30 Thanks. However the Coleman's glass knob on top is very prone to failure rendering the percolator useless.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 6:17 PM

I have a complete vintage Pyrex Flameware glass percolator, I know it's for the stovetop...and I've never used it due to not knowing how it works actually. It was my mother's, and she also had/used an electric percolator.

Anyone familiar with the Pyrex one? Hard for me to believe I could use it on a burner.

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2023 6:27 PM

[quote] [R30] Thanks. However the Coleman's glass knob on top is very prone to failure rendering the percolator useless.

Well, try the Coletti, Elite Gourmet or Farberware, then.

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2023 6:28 PM

r34 Already check their specs -- not induction capable. Thanks anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2023 6:30 PM

R33 here...forget my question, of course there's youtube videos showing what to do.

Need more coffee.

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2023 6:37 PM

I love my Percolator!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2023 7:01 PM

I prefer drip coffee. I'm not clicking on any links co then I'll be seeing fucking ads for those things for ages

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2023 7:30 PM

Perc coffee just isn't as good. I don't mind the cloudiness but it's noticeably more bitter. And if it's electric and sits for more than ten minutes, it's undrinkable, no matter if it's drip or perc. Coffee needs to go into a thermal carafe immediately after brewing.

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2023 9:49 PM

The most common complaint I heard about percolator coffee is it burns the coffee and creates bitterness..

by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2023 9:53 PM

R40: The joke about Starbucks is they burn half their beans and then blend in cheap Robusta beans.

Since you like Starbucks, I'm sure you'd like (possibly) burned-tasting percolator coffee.

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2023 11:39 PM

Percolator coffee is the most consistently best coffee I've ever had.

Sure, you may get a single cup of great coffee here and there. But, I don't recall ever having a bad cup of percolator coffee.

I wish I had the patience for making it.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2023 12:00 AM

[quote]Coffee needs to go into a thermal carafe immediately after brewing.

I never like coffee that comes out of one of those carafes. I make pourover at home. I don't really like any coffee to go, most of which is stored in those carafes.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2023 12:04 AM

OP, I love the smell of percolator coffee - it makes me think of my grandma’s Lutheran church.

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote] I wish I had the patience for making it.

I'm not sure what you mean. It doesn't take any more or less time to use one of those shitbox drip things.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2023 2:39 AM

A stovetop metal percolator on an induction hob would be crazy quick to start boiling and then power reduced to complete brewing.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2023 11:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!