Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gays Rejoice! Jon Snow is getting his own show!!!

More GOT? Yes please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 27, 2022 3:29 PM

Pffffft

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2022 2:25 AM

You can't go back and recapture the glory of the original series.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2022 2:33 AM

Season 8 left such a bad taste in everyone’s mouth, people are now wary of anything.

D&D have been unforgiven. They rushed to end the show so they could do Star Wars and bigger projects but Season 8 was so bad, it literally killed their careers as heavyweights.

Jon Snow was so obnoxious the last 2 seasons, I can’t imagine him or his story being interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2022 2:36 AM

On one hand it's interesting because this project would be a completely new story in this world, not based on Martin's writings like all the prequel projects in development are.

On the other hand idk, I don't have high hopes it would be good.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2022 2:47 AM

I will watch this in a heartbeat. I hated Jon Snow getting banished to the Wall. If they take him beyond it into the lands of always winter, I think there's the potential for a lot of story that won't have anything to do with the rest of Westeros. I saw Kit in Henry V and was pleasantly surprised by how well he commanded the stage. He was also delicious. We need to see the booty again.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2022 6:42 AM

That ship has sailed, far beyond the shores of Essos.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2022 6:48 AM

I don’t think the show will ever be as big as GOT. Or as good.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2022 12:36 PM

I have such a bad feeling about the new House of the Dragon show, let alone this one.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2022 12:38 PM

You guys are crazy. I LOVED Kit and LOVED Jon Snow. Yeah, the last season was a shitshow but I blame that for the showrunners being burnt out and wanting to move on and do Star Wars. If they get decent writers for this (and I hope they will), it should be good. But seriously, I don't care. Jon Snow was my favorite GoT character and I'll watch him do anything even in a lame-brained sequel.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2022 3:32 PM

The working Title

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2022 1:16 PM

YAY!

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2022 1:16 PM

The proposition of learning more about more Targaryens has a pull for me.

Reflecting on how enthralling and promising Game of Thrones was for six and a half seasons before becoming thoughtless trash TV has a push.

I don't think I will watch. Game of Thrones early on felt borderline Shakespearean to me, and the whole years-long endeavor was undermined by being dragged down by Fabio-type romance tropes and DC Comics-level mindless good-versus-evil tropes.

People have so many complaints but the most unforgivable aspect of all was that the entire series hinged on the coming Long Night and the threat posed by the White Walkers, an army of frozen hell. And then Arya poked one guy with a knife and millions of soldiers evaporated. Fuck fuck fuck the writers.

Jon Snow was one of the least appealing characters throughout to me, anyway. He was depressive and had no real character growth or story arc. He died but remained alive. He was the invulnerable, immortal tortured 'chosen one' of every fantasy story, and his star-crossed romance was obvious by season two. I don't want to see more of his moping and longing for a girlfriend. Good Gods, old and new.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2022 1:35 PM

It's a time honoured tradition that the most boring character gets the short lived spinoff. Look at Joey and Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2022 1:41 PM

How rude!

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2022 1:53 PM

What a positively churlish thing to say, R13!

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2022 1:54 PM

GRRM is working with the writers so I hope that means the political intrigue will makes sense unlike the last few seasons. Because he better be going back to the Kingdom of the North and dealing with the Northern Lords; I can't see him wandering around on The Wall or Beyond the Wall being a worthwhile sequel even if he fights supernatural beasts every now and then. The only thing that raised GOT above SciFi channel shows was the well-written political and interpersonal relationships taken from the book (and a better budget but plenty of big budget HBO shows don’t get Emmy consideration).

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2022 2:04 PM

How will a sequel with Jon Snow even work if he does return to the North? Sansa was made into its ruler. Either she has to be a primary character, as well, or else they will have to have killed her, which would be a bummer of a backdrop.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2022 2:11 PM

R17 or she could be off somewhere else doing something while he’s there.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2022 2:14 PM

It's great. Unless they want to kill him off in the first season, then not so great.

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2022 2:19 PM

R19 They probably will end the season with his death and begin the second season with him coming back to life. It worked once; why not just make it a constant?

by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2022 2:56 PM

It could work if they bring in some of the popular survivors as guest stars. Brienne one week, then Arya, Davos, Bronn although he was Jaime’s buddy. Etc. Tormund would be on every week.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2022 3:32 PM

It can work even without guest stars. If they create a good, tight story with good writing, it can work.

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2022 3:34 PM

Kit Harington finally realised he has no career post-GoT then.

I do love Emilia Clarke's comments on it:

[quote]He has told me about it. And I know it exists. It's happening.

Well there's the quote for the poster

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2022 3:40 PM

It's great. He is a great character, did a great job. Lots to explore and do. Happy for him too. He seems like a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2022 3:46 PM

R22, “if” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2022 4:08 PM

Fun post, on a grim day. You need something happy.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2022 4:27 PM

I think Kit would be put to fine use in a TV series called SWARTHY, an hour-long satire of a trashy UK dating show that objectifies dark Brits as exotic playthings. He takes himself very seriously but is totally daft, basically a stereotypical blond bimbo in male form.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2022 4:56 PM

He isn’t blond

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2022 4:57 PM

R28 That's why it's called SWARTHY. Duh. He just acts like a stereotypical blond bimbo who thinks he is profoundly intelligent because he has dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2022 4:59 PM

Swarthy means dark skinned.

Italians, Spanish, Greeks etc. tend to be swarthy.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2022 5:11 PM

Yet another excuse for George to NOT FINISH THE FUCKING BOOKS

by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2022 5:14 PM

Swarthy Brits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2022 5:15 PM

I’d be down for this. The last few seasons of GOT were terrible, not just the last season. I realized during the season with Arya and the Hound walking around every episode, nothing actually happens most of the time. Only good thing about the finale is Dany. I never liked her character.

by Anonymousreply 33June 25, 2022 5:23 PM

Expect another woke shit show. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2022 5:28 PM

It would've been great if the dragon had just made a disapproving face and then finished burning down the city and eating every person in sight. While the credits rolled, we could have seen Dorgon snuffling through the rubble and munching on Cersei and Jamie's parts, spitting out a golden hand.

It wouldn't have been any worse.

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2022 5:39 PM

If we get to see some more Jon Snow ass, then I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2022 8:35 PM

It won’t get made. House of the Dragon is only going to limp along until it gets cancelled. That whole universe is destined for diminishing returns.

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2022 10:29 PM

I only care about A Girl.

by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2022 7:24 AM

[quote]GRRM is working with the writers...

He needs to work on finishing the books. This fucking hack pissed away 11 YEARS doing everything besides finishing the original book series, which is why season 8 of the HBO show sucked ass--because they ran out of source material. And now he's going to contribute to a show which is a sequel based on a story he hasn't even finished yet??? WTF?

It's so clear he's never finishing the books. His story got away from him and he doesn't know how to finish them. Easier to keep collecting HBO money and let people make up their own ending after he eventually kicks the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2022 7:46 AM

Game Of Thrones time has passed. It’s not a Star Wars or Hobbit. It’s not going to be a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2022 12:34 PM

Wrath and lust are primary ingredients that made Game of Thrones phenomenally successful. The violence and explicit sex (and sexual violence) were all people talked about for years.

The greed, pride and boredom/sloth of the creators were the undoing of the series and its future franchise potential. Had the showrunners remained as interested as they were when they began and had they deferred to Martin's storytelling to end the series, it could have at the very least maintained its integrity if not ended in a satisfying way. The series was A+ throughout most of its run, but the creators tanked it because they were bored and chasing greater fame and fortune, and no matter how extravagant any feast is, if the last dish put in front of you is a bowl of maggoty shit, you will not go back for another meal.

by Anonymousreply 41June 26, 2022 12:43 PM

[quote]Kit Harington finally realised he has no career post-GoT then.

And what is out there exactly in this new landscape of entertainment? I think a lot of actors are realizing that their opportunities will continue to narrow. I mean, Julia Roberts is on a Starz series that's getting little to no buzz. In fact, DL complains regularly about the lack of any interesting films for adults, that its all been reduced to comic book stories and boring franchises. He took a role with Marvel and they're dicking their actors around, with seemingly no clue where they want to go but making sure to stuff every product they put out with cameos and sticking to a very rigid formula. In the last few years, Harington has taken the time to work with every major streaming service - he did an anthology with Netflix, with Amazon, and with Apple +, and then went back to HBO. What does that tell you? They still put out the best content and give their showrunners the creative control and support they need. I think every bold new series I've watched and enjoyed the last few years has been on HBO.

Also, the guy took a year off after Thrones to focus on his sobriety and mental health so his slow ease back into work was smart in the long run. Rumors have abounded for years which suggested that his public stint in rehab after the show finished wasn't his first time. Putting himself in a high pressure situation right off the bat would probably have done him more harm than good. He's been working steadily since Covid began and doing it in a way that gives him low-stress and some freedom to play around with characters distinctly different to Jon Snow.

GRRM confirmed on his blog that Kit pitched this show to HBO, not the other way around. Harington brought in his own team; went to Santa Fe with them to talk to George, and they've been writing scripts for this for the past year, even since it was put in development. There was a sighting posted while he and his wife were in New York last summer filming their respective projects where the person who saw them claimed that she was wishing Kit and his friend good luck on a pitch. HBO's headquarters are in NYC so its likely this was what they were pitching back then.

Jon Snow was easily my favorite character and I found his ending not only depressing, but also felt the character had been diminished by startling degrees in the final season. He had a few excellent scenes at the end but it was frustrating how little he was given. As I have a fondness for adventure type stories set in the wilderness and at the end of the world, I am excited to see what they have in mind for this series with Jon stuck in the land beyond the Wall. There's still a dragon flying around out there. Harington has said that he was "unwell" for the last season of filming, so it seems like the appeal of going back to Snow to flesh out the man and give him some depth is quite obvious. Pretty sure Kit's best friend and writing partner will be on the team of writers for the show and Harington being an EP on this is a given if it gets a greenlight. If HotD is successful out of the gate, for sure this series will be immediately put into production. I like him and have read a lot of his interviews since Thrones. Its clear what type of topics interest him and what he's hoping to explore in future roles. He could do something very interesting with the character in a post-Dany world. He has two films he's working on this year, one already in the can from last year, a series that's yet to premier, and has been working on this Snow project for quite some time, so he's hardly been sitting around on his ass. Harington has also expressed a desire to be more involved behind the scenes, and what better school than HBO. The fact that they have set up home in WB's Leavesden studios means its closer to his home and it will be steady work, which is likely another plus for him since he has a child now.

All in all, I think its a good move and I am really hoping this series gets made.

by Anonymousreply 42June 26, 2022 3:22 PM

I was never that interested in the Jon Snow / Wall guys aspect of the story. I’m still too bitter about what the show did to Jaime “I never cared about the townspeople” Lannister in the last season to get excited about a new show. Arya, Sansa, or Tyrion would all be more interesting storylines to follow now (let’s not even get into the Stark boy).

I can’t think about GRRM too much or I start getting furious about the lack of books.

by Anonymousreply 43June 26, 2022 3:29 PM

Welcome to Kit's agent at r42

by Anonymousreply 44June 26, 2022 3:32 PM

Pretty sure they would try to bring back Daenerys. IIRC, we didn't really see her dead but just carried away by her dragon.

by Anonymousreply 45June 26, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote] I mean, Julia Roberts is on a Starz series that's getting little to no buzz. In fact, DL complains regularly about the lack of any interesting films for adults, that its all been reduced to comic book stories and boring franchises.

But have you seen DRAG RACE FRANCE??! YAAAAS KWEEN!!!

Or The Real Housewives of Dubai?! Or the Real Housewives of Lagos?! Or The Real Housewives of Georgetown, Guyana?!! GURRRRL!

by Anonymousreply 46June 26, 2022 3:35 PM

[quote]Pretty sure they would try to bring back Daenerys

Clarke says she's done:

[quote]Which raises the question - would she ever consider appearing in a spin-off to Game of Thrones, or is she done with dragons? "No, I think I'm done," she says firmly and laughs. Emilia Clarke is ready to move on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 26, 2022 4:51 PM

This seems like a desperate, last-ditch attempt on GRRM's part to save the legacy of GoT. The show ended up tarnishing it with its horrible last season, and he's obviously not finishing the books, so maybe this stupid sequel will help him salvage some modicum of respect in the fantasy genre.

10 years ago, he was being hailed as the second coming of Tolkien, and probably would've achieved legendary status in the genre had he finished the books. But now he'll always be remembered as a hack writer who couldn't finish his own story, and who left us with a crap, nonsensical ending from a TV show that'll be remembered as just another disappointing show that failed to deliver on its hype, like LOST.

by Anonymousreply 48June 27, 2022 1:00 AM

Yeah, another vote here for Jon Snow's storyline being the dreariest on GOT...all those boring scenes set in icy cold climates with dirty cold people people.

Yuck.

And, on a show where most of the younger actors were terrible actors, Harrington was the King of them.

If you're going to go back to that time frame of GOT then center the show on King's Landing....where all the fun and intrigue happen.

Of course, they killed off all the fun characters...they can't exactly center a show on the grumpy dwarf and the truly awful crippled boy king. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 49June 27, 2022 6:32 AM

[quote] Gays Rejoice! Jon Snow is getting his own show!!!

Why would this character be of special interest to gays?

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2022 6:40 AM

[quote] If you're going to go back to that time frame of GOT then center the show on King's Landing....where all the fun and intrigue happen. Of course, they killed off all the fun characters...they can't exactly center a show on the grumpy dwarf and the truly awful crippled boy king.

If the Targaryen show is going back a millennium or two before Game of Thrones, then King's Landing could go back some decades.

How about a family sitcom about young Cersei, queen of the Mean Girls, and little lady killer Jamie—all the girls want him, but he's saving his first kiss for his wombmate.

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2022 10:02 AM

R50 The obvious assumption is that gay men are supposed to be gaga for Kit Harington. Several people above here wrote that they will watch anything that occasionally shows his buttcheeks. Harington's drama teachers must be proud that his ass is the most emotionally resonant feature he has.

He's attractive but the sad mopiness of that character was dreadful, and set against a dreadfully dreary environment with a dreary climate. Ugh. At the very least, give the people of the north a secret mushroom field where they can escape and see some colors once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 52June 27, 2022 10:05 AM

People would actually watch if they did a prequel about the younger years of Ned Stark, the Lannisters, etc, centered on the tournament where all the shit goes down and Ned’s sister (?) gets kidnapped by the Targarean. That’s what they were supposedly doing a Broadway show about.

by Anonymousreply 53June 27, 2022 10:25 AM

I want them to try a straight-up half hour sitcom. Some characters could translate well to that format—Gilly and Samwell come immediately to mind.

Just a comedy. People living a brutal Medieval lifestyle had to have had humor in their lives, too. Shakespeare is evidence that they did.

The show could still throw around occasionally brutal or sexually explicit shocks as visual punchlines and to shake up the domestic angle, but sparingly.

by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2022 10:32 AM

I'd rather see a series about the life of Melisandre. She's supposed to be 400 years old. How did she become the feared Red Woman!

by Anonymousreply 55June 27, 2022 11:32 AM

R55 Yessssssssssss!

That was such a waste. I wanted so much more about Mel once she showed her true self. The whole point of her cannot be for the 'twist' of her being an ancient old hag and then her small role in the Long Night. That is fucked up. She's full of mysteries and living a double life as a tired old crone and a seductress who influences world leaders. Cmon.

by Anonymousreply 56June 27, 2022 12:04 PM

GRRM is desperately hoping that another series will give him ideas so he can actually finish the main series.

It's been 11 years since A Dance with Dragons with at least one more planned novel to finish the series. Of course, he also divided one book into multiple books earlier in the series, as well.

Let's face it. Part of the failure of GoT eigth season and finale was that Martin couldn't contribute anything to how everything wrapped up.

by Anonymousreply 57June 27, 2022 12:19 PM

Lol, good lord no one is going to read through that multiple paragraph diatribe R42. GOT is over. No one cares if it comes back. The Dragon thing is going to flop.

by Anonymousreply 58June 27, 2022 12:41 PM

I ain't finishing that shit.

The closer to the word processor, the closer to the buffet.

by Anonymousreply 59June 27, 2022 12:46 PM

[quote]r53 That’s what they were supposedly doing a Broadway show about.

This one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 27, 2022 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!