Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gavin Newsom joins Truth Social to call out Republican lies!

I love him for doing this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 5, 2022 9:40 AM

I want to get underneath his desk!

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2022 2:13 AM

I know, I know... it'll never ever ever happen. But I wish he'd run for president. He doesn't take any shit, and still is a nice guy.

CA has a better fiscal situation than any state in the US. Lots of problems (homeless, crime, drought) but he is doing real things to try to address problems, and he has a huge budget surplus.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2022 2:19 AM

Gasoline is too high the.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2022 2:27 AM

He fucked Kimberly Gargoyle... Repeatedly đŸ€ź

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2022 2:42 AM

R4 And then he got sober...

Once in the late 90s I was at a show at Filmore, he was on stage in a furry costume. Very high. He cleaned up his act completely.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2022 2:50 AM

No, he should not do this. Do not give them anyone to argue with or challenge. Doing so only makes that POS and his site relevant, which is the last thing the Governor of California should be doing.

I'm not saying ignore them; I'm saying don't fall for the trap that is attempting to engage them intellectually or honestly.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2022 4:11 AM

R6, that tactic has never worked. People suggested we do the same about trump and his trash Deplorables leading up to 2016. Where did that get us?

Engage them full on, and humiliate them publicly in the process.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2022 4:23 AM

I'm not denying engagement; I'm saying that doing it on Truth Social is a waste of time, effort and in this case, credibility. Maybe Newsom is hoping that they'll ban him and it will benefit him somehow, but I can't see it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2022 4:44 AM

Gavin Tiresom. Anything for a headline.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2022 4:46 AM

[quote] I know, I know... it'll never ever ever happen. But I wish he'd run for president.

R2, You're kidding, right? San Franciscan here and I like the guy, but he's rather obviously been positioning himself to run for president since the late 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2022 4:58 AM

He'll be banned from Truth Social before you know it.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2022 9:09 AM

Love. Him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2022 7:31 PM

I wish he’d shove his foot in my mouth then fuck my ass with it

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2022 8:10 PM

On May 4, two days after Politico rocked Washington by revealing the draft of a Supreme Court decision to overturn the constitutional right to abortion, California Governor Gavin Newsom delivered remarks at a Los Angeles Planned Parenthood office—and triggered a small earthquake of his own.

Newsom pledged that, however the Court ruled, California would ensure legal access to abortion. But it was something else he said that really stood out: Republican-controlled states are moving not only to restrict or outlaw abortion if the Court allows it, he said, but also to ban books, restrict how teachers can talk about race, make voting more difficult, and target LGBTQ rights through measures like Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill. In a sudden geyser of frustration, Newsom asked why Democrats at every level were not doing more to combat, or even call attention to, this sweeping offensive.

“Where the hell is my party? Where’s the Democratic Party? You guys paying attention to what’s going on?” he asked. “Why aren’t we standing up more firmly, more resolutely? Why aren’t we calling this out? This is a concerted, coordinated effort. And, yes, they’re winning. They are. They have been. Let’s acknowledge that. We need to stand up. Where’s the counteroffensive?”

In an interview at his office in Sacramento on Tuesday, Newsom told me he was surprised at how “resonant” a response he received from Democrats around the country to viral video clips of that moment. But several Democratic strategists I talked with this week said the governor should not have been shocked. The reaction, they said, reflects the anxiety mounting within the Democratic coalition over the ever bolder effort by red states, with crucial support from the GOP-appointed majority on the Supreme Court and Republican U.S. senators wielding the filibuster, to rescind or restrict seemingly long-settled rights.

That unease has created, in effect, a job opening in the Democratic Party—a vacancy for a leader to formulate a comprehensive case against the rights rollback in the 23 states where Republicans hold unified control of the governorship and the state legislature. For “any politician who wanted to gain a national platform, that message is really resonating with where our voters are,” says Sean McElwee, a progressive pollster.

This is not a job that President Joe Biden, by temperament or inclination, is well positioned to fill. The party’s senior congressional leadership is otherwise engaged and, as a collection of political veterans mostly in their 70s, is not particularly well suited to the task, either. Newsom isn’t the only Democrat who could step into the void. But he is perhaps the best person to do so, and he has one distinct advantage over the alternatives: There might be no one in the Democratic Party who is itching more for a fight with the Republican governors leading the red-state charge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2022 11:22 PM

The rights rollback is advancing “like a wildfire,” Newsom told me. “That was kind of the point I was making [at Planned Parenthood]: Is anyone paying attention to what’s going on? It’s happening in real-time. Literally the progress of 
 at least the last half century is being wiped out in the last 15 months.”

The new red-state laws have rapidly diffused across the country, often becoming more extreme along the way. The Ohio House of Representatives, for instance, recently passed legislation requiring participants in school sports who are “accused” of being transgender to undergo a genital exam. Many states acting to limit or ban abortion have removed once-common exemptions for victims of rape or incest. Taken in sum, these laws amount to an attempt to reverse the “rights revolution” of the past 60 years, through which Congress and the Supreme Court created a robust baseline of guaranteed national rights and limited state’s abilities to curtail those rights.

Newsom isn’t the only Democrat who has tried to sound this alarm. Michigan State Senator Mallory McMorrow rocketed to national attention with a speech in April in which she rebutted a Republican colleague who had accused her of “grooming” children for sexual abuse because she supported LGBTQ rights—a now-common slur. Illinois Governor J. B. Pritzker also received a strong response, the day before Newsom’s Planned Parenthood speech, when he appeared alongside a crowd of mostly female state legislators and promised he would “fight like hell, not just for the women of Illinois, but for every person in our state and every person across this nation who believes not in limiting civil rights and human rights, but in expanding them.” Governors Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan and Kathy Hochul in New York also have moved decisively to protect abortion rights in their states.

But Newsom, 54, who handily defeated a Republican-led recall drive against him last fall and is now cruising toward reelection for a second term in November, might be uniquely positioned to provide national leadership on these culture-war issues. As the governor of the nation’s most populous state and one of its most diverse, Newsom offers a logical point of comparison to Governors Ron DeSantis in Florida and Greg Abbott in Texas, the most visible proponents of the Republican-led rights reversal. He already has a history of sparring with Abbott and DeSantis (whose name Newsom habitually mispronounces as “DeSan-tos) over their approaches to the economy, education, health care, and the pandemic.

Newsom very consciously has worked to define California as an alternative to the lower-tax, lower-services models of Florida, Texas, and most other Republican-controlled states. If the even more fundamental divide in modern American politics is between those who welcome and those who fear the way the country is changing demographically and culturally, as I believe it is, then the political leadership in California stands clearly on the other side of that chasm from leaders in Texas, Florida, and other big Sun Belt states who are working to lock into law the preferences of their predominantly white, Christian, Republican coalition.

In most circumstances, Democrats might consider a president from their own party to be the most logical choice to call out this important national shift on rights. And since Newsom delivered his cri de coeur last month, he has been inundated with questions about whether he was criticizing Biden or the Democratic congressional leadership. “I have such deep admiration and respect for Joe Biden 
 I would stand up for him for anything,” Newsom told me when we spoke. “This is not about Joe Biden.” He likewise said he didn’t think it was a responsibility of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi or Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to take the lead in calling out the red states. Newsom’s view is that Democrats everywhere—in local, state, and federal office and in all of the party committees—need to shine more attention on what’s happening.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2022 11:23 PM

Yet Newsom agreed with me when I suggested that leading the fight on these issues was not exactly in Biden’s comfort zone. Biden has criticized restrictions on abortion and voting, as well as Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill. But his political theory for his presidency has always been to focus on delivering benefits to working-class families while limiting his personal engagement in polarizing cultural disputes. As a 79-year-old white Catholic who once opposed school busing for desegregation and initially supported a constitutional amendment to allow states to overturn Roe v. Wade, Biden is not likely to fill the role of the inspirational defender of an inclusive, multiracial, multicultural society. The Justice Department has filed or joined legal suits against Republican-controlled states on issues including abortion, voting rights, bans on transgender girls participating in sports, and heightened penalties for public protest. But Attorney General Merrick Garland is a 69-year-old former judge whose moderate and institutionalist instincts likewise leave him ill-suited to galvanize the public against this rollback. Vice President Kamala Harris, in background and temperament, offers a better fit, but the administration generally hasn’t deployed her to deliver important political messages.

Jenifer Fernandez Ancona, the vice president and chief strategist at Way to Win, which funds campaigns and organizations focusing on voters of color, says Democrats haven’t responded more forcefully for a reason. Many Democratic strategists, she notes, operate on the belief that voters with conservative social views are more likely to vote on those views than voters with liberal social attitudes. Among Democrats, “there’s a fear that if I start talking about this, then are people going to think this is all I care about, and they won’t think I care about kitchen-table issues,” Fernandez Ancona told me. With so little sustained attention, Democrats have failed to articulate “the connection between all of these issues,” she continued, and created a politically fraught situation “like a Whac-A-Mole: One day you are talking about LGBT, one day abortion, one day about trans, one day about critical race theory and education in the schools.”

Jon Favreau, the former White House speechwriter for Barack Obama and now a co-host of the podcast Pod Save America, argues that Democrats don’t need to be “super-extreme” on cultural issues to counter a “super-extreme” Republican approach. “They have given up the entire broad middle,” Favreau says of the GOP. The real challenge for Democrats is to explain, “if we are going to be a multiracial democracy in the U.S., what does that look like? 
 No one has put it together in a story,” he says. “That’s where the vacuum is.”

Newsom doesn’t pretend he has divined the best approach to counter the red-state rights rollback, in terms of either tactics or message. He is open to reforming or eliminating the Senate filibuster, which Republicans have used to kill House-passed legislation on voting rights, LGBTQ equality, and abortion. But he is ambivalent at best about that idea. “I have mixed feelings because the minute we are no longer—which is a hot minute, potentially—in power, you better be ready to pay the price,” he told me.

He’s even more leery of another response to the rights rollback that many on the left are touting: enlarging the Supreme Court. Adding more justices, Newsom said only somewhat facetiously, would lead to a Supreme Court with 63 members, after the two sides leapfrogged each other with expansions each time they traded power in Washington. “One has to be careful about even having these conversations about stacking the Supreme Court, changing the rules,” he said, warning that they could alienate voters already inclined to think that Democrats “don’t have the respect” for American traditions.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2022 11:25 PM

In the near term, Newsom argues, blue states can try to compensate for the rights that red states are retrenching. He says he expects to sign a bill this year shielding transgender kids and their families who relocate to California from legal action in their home states. The California state legislature also is advancing a package of bills designed to help provide abortions to people from out of state. But he doesn’t see any of these policies as long-term solutions. “It’s a hell of a way to live,” Newsom told me. “We have abundance now and [could have] scarcity in a year and a half, when the effects of a recession are felt, and all of a sudden now we can’t accommodate these 33.6 million reproductive-age women from the 26 states that all want to descend on three or four blue states that were generous enough in the beginning but no longer can be as generous. I fear that.”

Besides, Newsom said, it’s dangerous for the core civil rights and liberties available in roughly half the states to diverge radically from those available in the other half. “Our capacity to live together, and advance together across our differences, is in peril,” he said. “That’s foundational in any civil society, and that’s why the illiberal impulses, the populist impulses, the nationalist impulses, which are not unique to America, are being exploited to great peril.”

The “existential” question, Newsom said, is how to preserve the rights that conservatives are targeting, which he believes will extend beyond the current list to same-sex marriage, contraception, and even interracial marriage. “I don’t have a great answer for it,” he admitted. An infinite list of practical questions is looming for Democrats and civil-rights advocates about how to respond to the GOP drive to rescind rights—a campaign that has included years of efforts to reshape the federal courts, solidify control of state legislatures, and encourage the spread of conservative ideas through groups such as the American Legislative Exchange Council and Heritage Action. Democrats have spent years trying to develop responses, and they face years’ more work ahead. But the party’s urgent need now, Newsom seems to be arguing, is to clarify to the public that the fight is even happening, building awareness and rallying resistance. “We’re arguing about changing the rules,” he told me. “I’m arguing for changing our mindset and waking us up.”

Part of that effort, Newsom said, must be to encourage more engagement from business leaders, who might put out statements supporting reproductive or LGBTQ rights but who mostly have been “passive” and “complicit,” in his view. Newsom told me that at a recent dinner, he had pressed a group of 30 to 40 business leaders on their tepid responses to the red-state moves, particularly DeSantis’s punishment of Disney for opposing his policies. “I said, ‘Beware of what you wish for 
 Don’t think for a second [California] can’t play that same game.’” Newsom said he told the business leaders that he could just as easily demand that they “shut up on any piece of legislation” or else face rollbacks on “tax credits across the board, permits, zoning” and via his “bully pulpit.” His point wasn’t that he actually wanted to do such things; it was to confront the business leaders with the implications of their reticence. What DeSantis and other red-state governors are doing, Newsom said flatly, is “authoritarianism.”

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2022 11:26 PM

Newsom has been voicing these complaints to his staff for months, but until his Planned Parenthood remarks, he had not expressed them much in public. He remains uncertain about how far to press this case, both because he realizes he doesn’t have all the answers and because he recognizes that, in taking these arguments to a national stage, he will inevitably face speculation that he’s running for president in 2024 or beyond. For the record, he told me, “I don’t know how many times you can say no in ways that others don’t say no.” One shouldn’t rule out the possibility of the governor of the nation’s largest state seeking the presidency someday, but for now Newsom does not seem interested in challenging Biden if he seeks a second term, or contesting Harris, a longtime ally, if Biden does not.

Fernandez Ancona said that building awareness of the rollback of seemingly settled rights will require a party-wide commitment that goes far beyond the effort of any one Democratic figure. “It’s going to take all of us beating this drum,” she noted. Newsom agrees, but he’s also clearly ready to turn up the volume on his own contribution. He is still debating whether the right time to speak out is during his general-election campaign this fall or after he (almost certainly) begins a second term. Either way, he appears ready to step forward. “I used to sort of feel like: ‘I am in my lane. I am just mayor of San Francisco. I am just lieutenant governor. I am just the governor,’” he told me, listing his previous offices in California. “I feel right now so frustrated that I feel like we need to amplify and express ourselves.”

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2022 11:26 PM

Thanks for this article. I do think that the 2024 election will be a significant battle in the culture war that (it looks like) the Extreme Right is winning. It would seem that for DL that means marriage equality, and anti-gay discrimination laws will be threatened. And is DL here in this thread to talk about a possible champion for our causes in the next Presidential election?

Nope. 18 responses. But there are a thousand threads and tens of thousands of posts about how the Trans are the problems. We're sorta screwed, eh? I wonder when the first gay or lesbian will be in prison this time... 2032?

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2022 3:48 PM

He’s such a used car salesman and you all don’t see it

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2022 3:57 PM

R20 Dude, please. Trump was a second-rate TV reality star, and grabbed hold of American politics. We need someone strong, effective who will speak truth to kray kray... and win (sell the fucking car) elections.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2022 4:06 PM

He is going to push the trans agenda. He already has men in women's prisons.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2022 4:11 PM

He's a fucking clown. He doesn't mean shit he says. He was in a relationship with KG. Need I say more. California is becoming even more of a shithole because of his stupid unrealistic policies. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2022 4:24 PM

[quote]I wish he’d shove his foot in my mouth then fuck my ass with it

Although you are undoubtedly one sick puppy, I must admire your willingness to voice your oddly specific perversion.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2022 4:28 PM

In California you have to get a permit to plant a shrub in your front yard and it’ll take 7 months to be approved

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2022 4:29 PM

R25 Right wing talking points. Try again. Extremist fascist Christian heretics see CA and Newsom as a threat. Proof here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2022 4:58 PM

R23 & R25 posting from a garage outside Talladega.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2022 1:30 AM

Why don’t more democrats go on offense?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2022 6:24 AM

Gruesome how bout you talk about your lies. Like the recent one you told about giving Californians a measly $400, to help us for the insane price of gas

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2022 9:55 AM

Sorry. We're Libs, we're Californians ... and we can't stand Gavin Newsom. He even married us in San Francisco.

He's so full of shit - and I'm sorry, but he was a total wimp about COVID response. There were no real restrictions. There was NO enforcement. Just a bunch of "Californians will look out for each other" Kumbaya bullshit.

Early on, after he "Closed" the beaches, and Huntington Beach threw a hissy - he backed down. And COVID "restrictions' were never again taken seriously in this state.

And I'm sorry - but anybody with such poor judgement as to actually marry Kimberly Guilfoyle, I can never take seriously.

He's oily.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2022 10:32 AM

Remember CA was where the John Birch Society had the highest membership. Lots of crackpot reactionary Californians hate Newsom (remember the recall). But the anti-Newsom posters here on DL who claim to be Californians... well, you can figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2022 3:00 PM

[quote] He is going to push the trans agenda. He already has men in women's prisons.

You could use a cock. As well as psychiatric help for your monomania.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2022 3:06 PM

David Axelrod is promoting Newsom as the '24 nominee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2022 8:40 PM

R24 probably engages in acts much much more disturbing than foot fisting.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2022 8:46 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2022 11:23 PM

R23..."That fucking clown" got the ball rolling for Marriage Equality. We have a large surplus in Ca. and he is using it to help real people. As of July, our Medicaid expansion increased exponentially. We are a sanctuary state for freedom of choice. You neglected to tell us what utopia you slither around in. Idiot!

by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2022 7:40 PM

R30 is a fucking MAGA.

I’ve been disappointed in Biden lately for not being more aggressive and refusing to expand the Court. but it could be that he’s too busy and his age. I love what Newsome is doing. We need a fighter. You know very well that DeSantis will be the 2024 nominee and they will go after Biden’s age

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2022 10:26 AM

Sorry, R37, but my husband and I are FAR from MAGA. I love how when anybody disagrees with a "progressive" POV they are automatically MAGA. I'm pretty sure our progressive 'cred' would put yours to shame (but it really isn't about that, now is it?).

Newsom is a snake-oil salesman. Show us a REAL progressive, and we are behind her/him/they 1000% - and we'll even vote for Biden, which we did, because we will NEVER vote Republican or third party.

by Anonymousreply 38July 5, 2022 9:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!