Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Last two episodes of this season of Stranger Things will equal 3 hours 45 minutes

Thats nine minutes longer than Lawrence of Arabia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 6, 2022 10:41 AM

So? It's a TV series, not a movie.

by Anonymousreply 1June 14, 2022 2:57 PM

I feel like Eleven is going to join the dark side

by Anonymousreply 2June 14, 2022 4:12 PM

Having your brother be a vile hussy who tries to steal your boyfriend will do that to a girl r2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 14, 2022 4:19 PM

I don’t get why people are so upset about the episodes’ length. Just pretend they’re four eps @ 55 mins each.

by Anonymousreply 4June 14, 2022 5:43 PM

I still can't figure out why people like this series so much when it's bloated and ripping everything off.

by Anonymousreply 5June 14, 2022 5:46 PM

I personally love the longer episodes. I think the fact that there was such a time gap between seasons because of the pandemic made me really miss it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 14, 2022 6:08 PM

I’d personally prefer more episodes rather than longer episodes as I rarely have the time to sit down to watch movie length stuff. BUT, this season has been brilliant (only up to ep 7), so the more the better.

by Anonymousreply 7June 14, 2022 6:16 PM

Everyone needs to stop whining about the lengths of these episodes. Just watch them and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 14, 2022 9:13 PM

Will Noah come out when Will comes out?

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2022 12:15 AM

R2 Would also join the dark side if Jamie Campbell Bower asked me to. But I think she won't.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2022 12:45 AM

I loved this show, but have lost interest this season so far. It lost a little bit of it’s magic by expanding so far out of its original setting.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2022 12:48 AM

The show has lost some of its mystery, but that's normal as these sort of shows progress. I've enjoyed this session anyway.

Also, poor Barb.

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2022 1:22 AM

I love this show! But I want less of it! -- is a complaint I've never understood.

"This was a great show but it should have been 9 or 10 episodes instead of 13" ...I don't understand why you watch.

As for the length of Stranger Things episodes...It's not like it's on broadcast TV in the 60s and you can only watch it on the night it's broadcast. You can watch it when it premieres, you can watch it later, you can watch 30 minutes of it at a time, you can watch all of it at once. You're bitching about nothing.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2022 2:53 AM

"Ripping everything off" That's the point, it is an 80s movie homage with a modern gaze. For example suddenly people are actually gay in text.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2022 9:40 PM

I stayed up till 3 to watch this (I know, embarrassing, no life, etc) and I found the second half to be a lot stronger than the first half. I laughed and cried. This season seems a lot funnier than the others while also being the darkest one yet.

I won’t go into spoilers because I know most haven’t watched it, but I have a lot of theories on Season 5

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2022 11:07 AM

Interesting, R15. I felt the second half was not as strong. They tried to be bold, but it fell flat for me, and there was just too much slow mo melodrama. Likewise, I won’t comment on specific plot points for the same reason, but I left…underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2022 11:11 AM

R16 I think I know the specific plot point you are talking about it, and yeah, I get it. It seems like they are hesitant of Going There which is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2022 11:17 AM

SPOILER

The defeating Vecna fight was like something from a bad anime

[quote] Will: Mike. only you as the heart of our group can save her!

[quote] Mike: Eleven I love you

[quote] Eleven gains the power to win as Kate Bush plays

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2022 11:17 AM

R18 LMAO! Yeah, that was weird. All of the Mileven felt especially forced this season. I thought the “real” love story was between Eleven and Max, and their friendship.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2022 11:21 AM

Meh - it's a series. What difference whether it's 2 episodes for 3:45 or 4 episodes. Frankly, 2 longer episodes would probably be better organized if they really decided to go that way instead of 3 or 4 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2022 11:26 AM

r19 I always hate inability to say I love you as a plotline its very soap operaish and not something I've ever come across in real life. Plus all they've done for the last 2 seasons is argue and breakup, and Finn Wolfhard seems so completely checked out of this show nowadays any emotional scenes he does with Millie (or Noah) feel flat.

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2022 11:32 AM

The producers grew the cast so much that the original actors are barely needed.

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2022 11:42 AM

Also Will still hasn't said yeah I'm gay. Which wouldn't bother me given the amount of subtext they've thrown at him but that's apparently too subtle for some of the retards out there who can still pretend he's straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2022 11:57 AM

Yeah, he’s gay. We all knew, but Jonathan was basically telling him he was safe to come out to and Will’s emotional speech to Mike in the car that was so obvious. So people really can’t pretend anymore

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2022 12:19 PM

Fuck this show. This was as close as we got to Will coming out and he didn't even.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2022 7:11 PM

Is this the official thread for the backend of the season?

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2022 7:35 PM

If it happens I'll fully support Wills descent into villainy in s5. Fuck Mike Wheeler Will deserves better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2022 7:40 PM

Eddie's stunt double was a gay twink

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2022 8:59 PM

Matthew Modine still has that great head of hair...now silver. Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2022 9:58 PM

R29 Was that the main character death that was lauded?

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2022 10:52 PM

R30 No

Although I wish they would have wrapped a bow on the whole Steve/Nancy/Jonathan triangle, I think it’s obvious Nancy will choose neither of them and do her own thing of pursuing her career in journalism. I think Jonathan will live a low key drifter life, while Steve wants six kids and to live in Hawkins his whole life. She recoiled at Steve’s family daydream when he said he saw her in it, and she’s clearly over Jonathan.

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2022 11:00 PM

Matthew Modine has morphed into Gerry Spence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2022 11:25 PM

[quote] And now, with the new episodes dropping today, the question remains: Will Byers gay yet? The answer: a definitive “kinda.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2022 12:22 AM

What is going on with Will? Is he gay yet?

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2022 1:33 AM

Netflix really took the whole "don't say gay" thing to heart

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2022 1:41 AM

Does this mean season five is going to be twice as long?

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2022 1:50 AM

r34 This scene, and the scene with Mike are the only times its brought up. Its about as strong as they can possibly make it in subtext but he's not actually said it yet. The Mike scene is a bit shit but this one with Jonathan is pretty nice since he pretty much said what Will needed to hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2022 2:00 AM

So Jonathan came out to Will?

by Anonymousreply 38July 2, 2022 3:05 AM

r38 You mean Will comes out to Jonathan or are you stoned as shit? Jonathan knows Will is gay. He was telling him its OK to be different even back in s2. In s4 he watched Will essentially confess his feelings to Mike under the guise of helping Mike and Eleven, then break down in tears and have Mike ignore him. Later that day he tells Will he can tell him anything and he'll always love him no matter what. They both quite clearly know what he means. Will just can't get the words out yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 2, 2022 3:21 AM

Hopper was HOT this season. That shirtless scene..yum. I never thought he was attractive in previous seasons

by Anonymousreply 40July 2, 2022 5:10 AM

R39 I knew they wouldn't actually let Will be gay. I hate this shitty show. They'd rather introduce a lesbian than make one of the OG characters gay. This is why I refuse to watch the new season. The writers are fucking homophobic hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 41July 2, 2022 5:49 AM

I fucking hate the Kill Your Gays trope. It's about as dumb as the Black Guy Dies First trope that was in just about every horror movie up until the 2010's.

Will deserves to be happy dammit.

by Anonymousreply 42July 2, 2022 6:01 AM

I just finished it right now. I hope they don't take a year or two to release Season 5, but let's face it, they will most likely take that long to give us Season 5. Nancy is an ungrateful bitch. Jonathan deserves better. Will deserves a boyfriend. I didn't really like Eddie, so wasn't that sad about his death. Hopper is even hotter since he lost weight. I was always horny for him, but even more so now. He looks hung.

Was wondering why Eleven couldn't find or connect with Max in the hospital when she was holding Max's hand. They visited that scene twice and still didn't show us anything. Does that mean Max has gone dark or is hiding somewhere metaphysically? That will be interesting to find that out, but Season 5 is probably going to take 2 years to release. I feel like they should have given us 2 more episodes at least.

by Anonymousreply 43July 2, 2022 6:09 AM

Noah Schnapp (who plays Will) is a terrible actor, devoid of conviction and magnetism.

by Anonymousreply 44July 2, 2022 6:26 AM

You dumb fucks. It's the 80s. Pre-teens and teens did not just simply come out in the 80s and then go locking hands on Mulberry Street. The show is maintaining realism you dumb retarded fucks.

by Anonymousreply 45July 2, 2022 6:30 AM

He doesn't need to come out to everyone and be loud and proud. He had the perfect opportunity to come out to Jonathan in episode 9 but they blew it.

by Anonymousreply 46July 2, 2022 6:42 AM

[quote]What difference whether it's 2 episodes for 3:45 or 4 episodes.

Pacing, gestalt, construction. These qualities aren't irrelevant.

I've always liked this series without being a super-fan who was constantly searching the internet for news about when the next season would be available. Season 4 was my least favorite by some distance. And yeah, the bloated, shapeless episodes have something to do with it. The creators were clearly thinking bigger, splashier, "our most ambitious season yet," but I found the results undisciplined and overpopulated. There were nice moments...within overwrought quarter hours.

by Anonymousreply 47July 2, 2022 6:56 AM

R45 But the lesbian came out. Why can't Will?

by Anonymousreply 48July 2, 2022 7:15 AM

R43 I bet she will gain some sort of abilities due to the fact she was somehow revived by Eleven (never really explained) and could outwit Vecna’s mind attacks

R45 Well to be fair she came out to Steve and Steve only after coming down from being drugged; and she is still super awkward and cautious about it around everyone else. I think Will is going to have a coming out scene and Mike will learn about Will’s feelings towards him, it’s just taking forever.

by Anonymousreply 49July 2, 2022 7:21 AM

The last two episodes were kind of underwhelming. I like max, but I thought it would’ve been a bold choice to kill her and keep her dead. So far, one fan favorite side character is introduced every season and killed (Bob S2, Alexei S3, Eddie S4) it was time for a main character. But not Steve.

At least Jaqen H’gar didn’t die in Russia. I thought he was a goner.

My favorite part was the Will/Jonathan talk that r37 linked. Jonathan was mostly useless this season, but that talk with Will made me hope he survives next season. He’s a good big brother.

Lucas was a terrible actor until the scene with an injured Max. He did real good there. I also liked Jason getting lasered in half. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 50July 2, 2022 11:35 AM

For all the hype it was quite a let down, if they wouldn’t have been isolated from the others I think it would have been much more satisfying. And way to long, there needed to be a good editor. Why does becoming highly successful and heralded and the need for good editing become such an inverse relationship?

by Anonymousreply 51July 2, 2022 11:52 AM

Wow. Closing the season with Siouxsie & The Banshees' Spellbound. Fuck, yeah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 2, 2022 12:08 PM

Didn’t they establish in the first season that Will’s father called him a fag?

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2022 12:10 PM

I thought they announced that one of the five original kids was going to die?

by Anonymousreply 54July 2, 2022 12:41 PM

[quote] In s4 he watched Will essentially confess his feelings to Mike under the guise of helping Mike and Eleven, then break down in tears and have Mike ignore him.

That was so hard to watch. It was clear that Will was telling Mike how much he needs (and loves) him, but Mike was only looking for reassurance that him and Eleven still share a strong bond.

by Anonymousreply 55July 2, 2022 12:49 PM

I enjoyed it a lot on an emotional level. But I'm not going to pretend I understood what was going on every second. I don't mind admitting I don't always understand the dimentional switches or where people are supposed to be (or I forget) sometimes. Honestly I don't always get where 11 is when she goes there in the sensory deprivation tank.

As for Jonathan, I would have thought more people here would identify with his emotional turmoil and how hard it is for him just to be gay - "different" - never mind to come out. Also for Robin already being out, well, that's a girl. Not as much stigma attached as there is with a male, in society. For one thing, straight women always kissed and hugged, danced with each other, etc. Two women living together - even older - was seen differently than if it was a couple of guys. But anyway a gay teen boy coming out (or not) to his straight friends - maybe some people can no longer identify because they don't know the stigma and shame attached to beiing a gay man in society.

by Anonymousreply 56July 2, 2022 1:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 2, 2022 1:34 PM

...and nobody seems to remember this was a couple of decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 58July 2, 2022 1:38 PM

And Robin’s only out to one person.

by Anonymousreply 59July 2, 2022 1:44 PM

I agree that coming out as gay or lesbian in the 80s was very uncommon. A lot of gays and lesbians settled for something we may call "glass closet" where they were out to close friends, part of their chosen family while not out to family, neighbors, bosses and colleagues.

Jonathan and Joyce being supportive of Will being "different" is sort of groundbreaking, borderline controversial, for that era which was all about "what will the neighbors think?????" where families usually put social standing and reputation over one family member's individual right to self-expression. Let's not forget that NY and San Francisco became gay cities, because gays got dishonorably discharged from military (navy, for example) service and were too ashamed and afraid to face their blood relatives in the 60s and 70s and that sort of stigma was still relevant in the 80s.

The Duffer Bros. put a more tolerant spin on this with Mike, and the other friends, not full on rejecting Will or making homophobic jokes behind his back while barely tolerating Will not being interested in girls.

by Anonymousreply 60July 2, 2022 2:05 PM

The Duffer Bros. put a more tolerant spin on this with Mike, and the other friends, not full on rejecting Will or making homophobic jokes behind his back while barely tolerating Will not being interested in girls.

I don't think any of his friends know he's gay. Mike sure doesn't. Because it's made obvious to the audience doesn't mean it is to his friends. Young teens are self absorbed with their own emotions, anyway, and in this case they're also trying to save the world. lol

I don't think they'd be very good friends if they were making homophobic remarks behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 61July 2, 2022 2:14 PM

Oops, this part was supposed to be in quotes:

[quote]The Duffer Bros. put a more tolerant spin on this with Mike, and the other friends, not full on rejecting Will or making homophobic jokes behind his back while barely tolerating Will not being interested in girls.

by Anonymousreply 62July 2, 2022 2:15 PM

Max is one of my favorites and I too wish they were bold enough to actually kill her off. Mike brought up an interesting point, that Eleven/the group aren’t really used to losing. They’ve had to many “disposable” deaths without music impact: Nancy’s friend Barb, Joyce’s boyfriend Bob, Max’s stepbrother Billy, Dustin’s friend Eddie… it would have been interesting to see how they handled the death of someone (Max) who was loved by all the group. Also, Eleven suddenly has the power to revive people? How? That just makes any death in the future cheap.

by Anonymousreply 63July 2, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote] I don't think any of his friends know he's gay. Mike sure doesn't.

Oh, Mike knows. He lashed out at Will in an earlier season saying that it's not his fault that Will doesn't like girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 2, 2022 2:19 PM

[quote] Also, Eleven suddenly has the power to revive people? How? That just makes any death in the future cheap.

She did revive Will in season one in the season one finale.

by Anonymousreply 65July 2, 2022 2:22 PM

As someone who was out in high school in the 1980s, I’ll add that a lot of gay signifiers just went right over the heads of straight people. I literally used to wear a triangle pin to school and 90% of people didn’t know what it meant.

by Anonymousreply 66July 2, 2022 2:26 PM

r64 I don't think that was Mike knowing. Will gets called a fag all the time by his bullies so Mike either lashed out with that because he knew it would hurt him or he was just calling Will a child. Then realises he's essentially stabbed Will in the back and goes to apologise to him.

by Anonymousreply 67July 2, 2022 2:31 PM

[quote]Oh, Mike knows. He lashed out at Will in an earlier season saying that it's not his fault that Will doesn't like girls.

Even now these characters are supposed to be only in their mid teens, so how old were they then? 12? I didn't take that remark to mean any real comment on Will's sexual preferences. Maybe in the final season we'll see that it did, I don't know. But originally I just thought it meant Will wasn't into sex at all yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 2, 2022 2:37 PM

*From Mike's equally young point of view.

by Anonymousreply 69July 2, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote] Even now these characters are supposed to be only in their mid teens, so how old were they then?

They're 14 in s4 so about 13 in s3.

by Anonymousreply 70July 2, 2022 2:39 PM

R68

Season 1: 12 year old 7th graders in Nov 1983 Season 2: 13 year old 8th graders in Oct 1984 Season 3; 14 year old rising freshman in July 1985 Season 4: 15 year old freshman in March 1986

by Anonymousreply 71July 2, 2022 2:50 PM

I read on a fan site that the reason they don't have Will coming out directly is because Noah Schnapp doesn't want anybody thinking he might be gay.

by Anonymousreply 72July 2, 2022 3:02 PM

r72 Noah Schnapp can't even get them to stop putting him in a bowl cut never mind control the story to the extent of keeping Will in the the closet. Will not saying he's gay is either a problem on the Duffers/Netflix end not wanting an out gay character, or for narrative reasons.

by Anonymousreply 73July 2, 2022 3:07 PM

I didn't really understand the cut-straight-across bangs (of Will, Mike, even Jonathan). Was it a mid-80s trend for 15 year old boys that I don't remember? I think someone mentioned that little kid on Eight Is Enough. But that was a *little kid* not a kid in high school.

by Anonymousreply 74July 2, 2022 3:07 PM

In Episode 8, 'Papa,' having Eddie Munson wear a 'Michael Myers' mask is an anachronism. Originally, it was a Dan Post mask of Captain Kirk from 'Star Trek', but in the wake of its use in 'Halloween' (1978), it dropped out of existence for some thirty years. From a collector's point of view, it was damn near extinct. In the aughts, they began selling the white 'MM' version of the mask, which is what Munson is seen wearing.

To be accurate and 'period correct,' they probably should have put Munson in the 'Skull' mask from 'Halloween III.'

by Anonymousreply 75July 2, 2022 3:33 PM

The clothing in the final episode was offensively ugly. 80’s had bad fashion, but good God nobody would be caught dead in Nancy’s final outfit. And why did El continually wear that hideous getup?

by Anonymousreply 76July 2, 2022 4:18 PM

R76 what was strange about El's California outfit was...back in Hawkins she and Max had already gone out shopping and had worn some better-looking, or at least 80s-trendy clothes. And wore makeup. Then, in Lenora Hills or whatever it's called, she's suddenly got the awful hair and nerdy wardrobe.

by Anonymousreply 77July 2, 2022 4:23 PM

Hopefully we'll time jump a few years for season 5 and actually have some better fashion.

by Anonymousreply 78July 2, 2022 4:24 PM

R77 I think Eleven is laid back and low maintaince. I think her outfits this season were supposed to be a bit more alt and thrown together— she spent most of her life in a hospital gown and Hopper had her dressed like a lumberjack. I think Max is the one that is more into clothes, when she isn’t depressed that is.

by Anonymousreply 79July 2, 2022 4:30 PM

Was there alt in 1986?

by Anonymousreply 80July 2, 2022 4:34 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 81July 2, 2022 4:35 PM

R48, your an idiot if you don't understand the difference. She is a whole grown woman.

by Anonymousreply 82July 2, 2022 4:35 PM

MBB was correct when she said the writers should start killing characters off like Game of Thrones. There are way too many, and the show has gotten bloated. I kept waiting for at least one big death this season, and it never came. Eddie was a new character, and they seemed to have walked back on Max's death.

by Anonymousreply 83July 2, 2022 4:50 PM

R83 Jason (new character) also died, as well as Dr, Brenner.

[quote]I kept waiting for at least one big death this season, and it never came.

I'm sorry, what can I do to help?

by Anonymousreply 84July 2, 2022 4:56 PM

By the way, whover said Matthew Modine has good hair, it looks like a wig to me. You can see where it's glued on, especially the temples and sideburns.

by Anonymousreply 85July 2, 2022 4:59 PM

r79 The costume designer pretty much says she's borrowing Wills clothes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 2, 2022 5:00 PM

I don't know what it is, but overall, I'm not that impressed with the costume design. I think that, at times, they seem to get it (the period look) and at other times, not at all. I was young then and something about it doesn't really seem accurate.

by Anonymousreply 87July 2, 2022 5:11 PM

Dustin was dressed like an Ewok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 2, 2022 5:58 PM

The costumer designer is terrible. Nobody mixed prints back then

by Anonymousreply 89July 2, 2022 6:01 PM

People mixed prints all the time in the 80s, R89. Even when they shouldn't have. In 1985 there was a trend of shirts that had both paisley and plaid fabrics in the same garment. I distinctly remember a girl in school wearing an oversized yellow paisley shirt with a red plaid collar and pocket. She wasn't the only one either.

by Anonymousreply 90July 2, 2022 6:06 PM

Did R89 mean mixed prints in the same garment, or different pieces of clothing?

by Anonymousreply 91July 2, 2022 7:04 PM

I loved the remix of Running Up That Hill that was used over the climactic fight. It doesn't work that well as a song, as it strips it lyrically, but adding additional beats, plus violin, and orchestral swells really worked for the scene.

I haven't seen much mention, but the eerie remix of Separate Ways by Journey was incredible as well.

Using Spellbound by Siouxsie & the Banshees over the end credits as well, but I kind of think, considering the visuals of the last scene, that Cities in Dust would have worked as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 2, 2022 7:13 PM

Are people really mad that a show set during the AIDS crisis isn’t having a gay boy be out and proud???

by Anonymousreply 93July 2, 2022 7:23 PM

Hopper's voice sounded different this season.

by Anonymousreply 94July 2, 2022 7:33 PM

I meant Will, not JOnathan...

by Anonymousreply 95July 2, 2022 7:35 PM

I liked the use of Metallica's Master Of Puppets, if no one has mentioned that. I didn't completely understand what Eddie playing furiously was really supposed to achieve, though.

by Anonymousreply 96July 2, 2022 7:37 PM

I think the noise was supposed to attract the bats, R96. Plus, look cool and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 97July 2, 2022 7:38 PM

R97 Oh, yeah, you're right about the bats (or whatever they were). I guess I just didn't understand why that would be a thing. They're very good on this show with getting you to accept the most ridiculous stuff, sometimes. Because it's awesome and you just want to go with it.

On that note, I didn't really get how Eddie's uncle just accepted how Dustin said he died - except the uncle was not a talker. I would think he'd ask - where/when did it happen? How was he helping people? Etc. I mean it was very convenient for Dustin that he didn't even have to try to explain it. Too convenient.

by Anonymousreply 98July 2, 2022 7:50 PM

It comes down to "Justice for Barb" where the relatives of the victims of the Upside Down World, or at least those who matter enough to the show and the viewer, get some closure.

by Anonymousreply 99July 2, 2022 8:14 PM

Barb was an uptight cow.

by Anonymousreply 100July 2, 2022 8:25 PM

I was happy Eddie died, I found his character skeevy and repulsive, and it makes perfect sense the town believed that about him. He wasn’t a sympathetic outsider.

by Anonymousreply 101July 2, 2022 8:44 PM

If Noah comes out as Gay half of them will believe it’s some evil entity that invaded him in the down under Hawkins and they’ll rally against him and kill him to keep the evil from spreading.

by Anonymousreply 102July 2, 2022 8:46 PM

R100: Did teen girls really dress like Barb back then and if so why did they want to look like 48 year old librarian fraus?

by Anonymousreply 103July 2, 2022 8:49 PM

Did the drag queen Asian guidance counselor survive??

by Anonymousreply 104July 2, 2022 8:51 PM

I like Max in this season (she annoyed me in her first season) but I think it should end it with her death .

by Anonymousreply 105July 2, 2022 8:55 PM

[quote]I read on a fan site that the reason they don't have Will coming out directly is because Noah Schnapp doesn't want anybody thinking he might be gay.

If it came from a fan site, I'm sure it's 100% true!

As someone else pointed out, the show is set in the 80s in a small town during AIDS crisis... It wasn't that common to have a teenage boy coming out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 106July 2, 2022 9:00 PM

Yes, R103. There were teen girls that dressed like Barb back in the 80s. A lot of parents were more controlling about what their kids wore back then, for one thing, so it is possible that Barb's mom picked her clothes. She also didn't really have the body to pull of Nancy style outfits, and a chunky gal like Barb would have been made fun of for trying to dress like Nancy. I started Junior High in 82, but I definitely remember older girls dressing that way. Glasses were also a lot less stylish in the 80s if you were unfortunate enough to need them, and big frames for women were very common.

by Anonymousreply 107July 2, 2022 9:03 PM

Can we really believe a small town hospital would know what to do with Max’s compound fractures at extreme angles like that without amputations? Especially during a town emergency and the number of injured flooding in? She would have been triaged and left to die as not worth helping, while others who had a chance at surviving were helped. She needed a trauma level hospital with a gifted pediatric orthopedic surgeon.I don’t think even Indianapolis would have had those resources at that time. Maybe the Mayo Clinic or Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, but not Hawkins General.

by Anonymousreply 108July 2, 2022 9:22 PM

If Hawkins can attract telekinetic children and Soviet espionage, maybe they got around to enticing the best and brightest medical minds in the country.

by Anonymousreply 109July 2, 2022 9:41 PM

The Hawkins National Laboratory, operated by the U.S. Department of Energy, was a federal complex located in Hawkins, Indiana. It was most likely actually controlled by the CIA or NSA, and was one of several national laboratories which grew out of the scientific endeavors of World War II. It controlled several subsidiaries, including Hawkins Power and Light. The lab was headed by Dr. Martin Brenner until the events of November 1983. Dr. Sam Owens then took over as Director of Operations.

by Anonymousreply 110July 3, 2022 12:40 AM

R43 I think El didn’t see anything in Max’s mind because Max is brain dead. El shouldn’t have pulled her back.

by Anonymousreply 111July 3, 2022 2:21 AM

Coma and brain death bit doesn't really bother me. That's the most obvious "we don't actually want to kill anyone important. But do want to make it seem like something important happened" I've seen from a show in a long time. She'll be out of it by the middle of season 5. Do wonder if she'll get her sight back though.

by Anonymousreply 112July 3, 2022 2:32 AM

Someone in the episode articulated the question (paraphrased), "What has Hawkins done to deserve this?" I'd be willing to bet there's something, and I'd like to see that question answered in Season Five.

The 'good people' of Hawkins are still sticking to the idea that Hellfire was a cult that brought the whole disaster about, and that Eddie Munson was the center of it. A form of Satanic Panic is developing in the town, and Dustin and Eddie's uncle need to keep their heads down regarding their views on Eddie. The townspeople are probably going to become part of the antagonists for the final season.

R93, they shouldn't be. Teenage boys during the 80s rarely did 'out and proud,' unless it was associated with a complete detachment from their family lives; to go 'out and proud,' they generally ran away to a large city and re-made their lives in order to do that. And in the 80s, that was often a death sentence, because they often came down with HIV. It's highly doubtful that the character of Will Byers will have an arc like that; he's happy with his family, and if he comes out, it will probably be quite low-key, only known to those closest to him.

[quote]R104: Did the drag queen Asian guidance counselor survive??

That's a good question. It comes across as though Season Four had developed too many moving parts, and they forgot to do anything with her.

by Anonymousreply 113July 3, 2022 2:45 AM

I guess I'm alone in wishing Eddie would have survived. It was too predictable that he'd die. I also feel like he could have been a decent character, mixing in with the group, for next season. Oh well.

Max is the best actor in the show, and one of the best characters.

Jason getting a total throw-away death that nobody seemed to care about was ... odd. Yeah, he was loathsome, but still.

Definitely not the ending I expected through. I certainly didn't expect the 'reunion' to not happen until the very final minutes of the season, after all the big action was over. But I'm glad they're finally together again. I hope they don't split everyone up for next season like that.

The biggest and most mind-bending revelation was that 1/Vecna created the Mind-Flayer. Strange that given THAT, that 1/Vecna showed absolutely zero interest in Will. Given they practically have a connection.

by Anonymousreply 114July 3, 2022 4:02 AM

[quote]R114: I guess I'm alone in wishing Eddie would have survived. It was too predictable that he'd die. I also feel like he could have been a decent character, mixing in with the group, for next season. Oh well.

I am somewhat uneasy that his body was apparently left in the Upside-Down. There could be unwelcome consequences for that.

by Anonymousreply 115July 3, 2022 4:12 AM

I think Will is only connected to Vecna when he’s in Hawkins. Will mentioned that he can feel him and knows how he thinks. Vecna did possess Will in Season 2

by Anonymousreply 116July 3, 2022 4:19 AM

I wish Eddie would have lived. He was a terrific character, though considering the Duffer Bros. usual pattern, they would have likely wasted any potential in the next season. That being said, I would have much rather seen any of the following bite it before he did: Jonathan, Mike, Lucas, Robin, the fat Mexican stoner with the long hair, and Mike's dad.

by Anonymousreply 117July 3, 2022 4:34 AM

Christ, Gaetan Matarazzo is a fat piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 118July 3, 2022 4:40 AM

I don't know how anyone can remember anything that happened in Season 1. In 2016. I think I have a normal memory and I remember certain things but not many details. Do many of you rewatch the series, or read about it, or what?

by Anonymousreply 119July 3, 2022 5:51 AM

That fat mexican stoner is not funny and annoying

by Anonymousreply 120July 3, 2022 5:56 AM

Agreed R120. I hated his role. Absolutely annoying and fake.

by Anonymousreply 121July 3, 2022 6:30 AM

R120, R121 He was recommended to the Duffers by Finn Wolfhard. I think he was an odd choice for a part that was probably supposed to be like Sean Penn in Fast Times At Ridgemont High...actually I think he's really good but also kind of annoying at the same time, if that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 122July 3, 2022 6:37 AM

Mexican? I thought he was Hawaiian?

by Anonymousreply 123July 3, 2022 6:38 AM

R123 Nope

by Anonymousreply 124July 3, 2022 6:49 AM

Hell, I thought he was Native American.

by Anonymousreply 125July 3, 2022 6:50 AM

In the other thread, someone else called it that Eddie would redeem himself by sacrificing himself. The guitar hero scene was embarrassing, though.

I found episode 9 to be repetitive. Max facing off with Vecna. We saw that already. Eleven fighting with Vecna. We saw that already. Everything that happened in this episode has already happened. The last 30 minutes were pretty good, though, just a circle of closure scenes.

by Anonymousreply 126July 3, 2022 6:55 AM

[quote]In the other thread, someone else called it that Eddie would redeem himself by sacrificing himself.

Redeem himself for what?

by Anonymousreply 127July 3, 2022 7:05 AM

[quote] Noah Schnapp (who plays Will) is a terrible actor, devoid of conviction and magnetism.

I thought he did great in his two big emotional scenes. Other than that, they didn’t give him anything to do, except to look scared and anxious in the background. But he showed more acting ability in those two small scenes that Finn Wolfhard demonstrated the entire season.

by Anonymousreply 128July 3, 2022 7:14 AM

R128 He was amazing in season 1 and 2, as well.

by Anonymousreply 129July 3, 2022 7:26 AM

Apparently, next season will have a time jump to accommodate the actors actual ages. With that final shot I'm not sure how that will work exactly.

by Anonymousreply 130July 3, 2022 7:26 AM

I agree, r128. He’s a great actor. But I feel he was let down by the writers. I know it was the 80s, but this show is not a documentary. They could have written whatever but instead left Will’s sexuality as subtext. In 2022. That and the fact that this poor boy had to bury his feelings so that his crush could make amends with his girlfriend left a really bad taste in my mouth. Even the painting, so hyped from episode 1, was used to further that straight relationship. I didn’t like how the show runners handled Will’s story at all.

by Anonymousreply 131July 3, 2022 7:34 AM

R130, I guess that means the show is moving into the 1990s? Dunno how I'd feel about that -- I think that would feel like such a departure in vibe from the previous four seasons.

by Anonymousreply 132July 3, 2022 7:36 AM

I am surprised the show used Siouxsie's Spellbound. Was Cities in Dust too on the nose (given what has happened to Hawkins)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 3, 2022 7:46 AM

Jonathan's character took a hit this season but the scene with him feeling bad for Will when he was talking to Mike and then giving him his support in the pizza place were well done. That poor actor is hard to look at.

by Anonymousreply 134July 3, 2022 7:49 AM

[quote] That poor actor is hard to look at.

He's aging like a British rock star.

by Anonymousreply 135July 3, 2022 7:55 AM

Looking forward to the time jump. Will will be 22 and having a secret affair with Hopper.

by Anonymousreply 136July 3, 2022 7:56 AM

The actor who plays Jonathan is Edward Furlong 2.0. Looks like him and it seems has the same penchant for mind altering substances.

by Anonymousreply 137July 3, 2022 8:00 AM

I do not understand the obsession and the supposed appeal of this show.

The 80's nostalgia bit was the whole point of season 1 (think campy horror movies aimed at young kids/teens mixed with stephen king book generic plots). Then the CGI started in Season 2 (I watched 1 episode).

Now I can only assume that it is designed by committee streaming schlock in the same vein as the ubiquitous zombie visual media that seemed to dominate the early aughts through the mid 2010's. Writing your story based on your actors' ages and fandom desires is not creative license--it is marketing strategy. Marketing does not seek to create something new, novel, or impressive; it only serves to increase revenue in a capitalist society. There is no art here.

by Anonymousreply 138July 3, 2022 8:02 AM

Jonathan only came to life in his one scene with his brother telling him he will always be there for him (which I thought was code for, "Oh shit, he gonna be dead by the end of the episode or season!"). Even at his final (and only) scene with Nancy, his girlfriend, he seemed distant and detached from the whole scene and what is happening in it.

by Anonymousreply 139July 3, 2022 8:06 AM

I noticed the end credit's finale, while Siouxsie & the Banshees' Spellbound is playing, is the only time the stranger things season four logo is used slowly getting bigger. All the other end credits are just all black, no logo.

It's the little things, LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2022 8:14 AM

Jonathan and Will’s real dad is Jack Wild from HR Pufnstuf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2022 8:15 AM

They're skipping to 1988 for s5. Which means there's a portal to the Upside Down in the sky's above Indiana for 2 whole years and apparently everything in the wider world carries on fine. Which seems retarded but guess we'll see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2022 12:28 PM

R142. It's not in the sky is it? I thought it was in the ground.

But yeah, that's strange. The last 10 minutes really confused me actually. I thought the portal opened right in the middle of Hawkins for some reason, seemingly centered on a church or whatever. Then everyone was talking like it was "just an earthquake" so I thought El had managed to close the portal by saving Max.

But no, there's fucking massive portal billowing huge amounts of smoke into the sky. How is nobody in Hawkins aware of this?

by Anonymousreply 143July 3, 2022 12:37 PM

r143 Actually rewatching the scene I'm not sure if its less of a portal than it is the Upside down is now eating into our world, like that spoiler Noah said last month. Which is even funnier because in 2 years that should mean about 5 states and parts of Canada have turned into hell. Should have done the timeskip at the start of 4 once they realised Covid was happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2022 12:48 PM

[quote] The last 10 minutes really confused me actually. I thought the portal opened right in the middle of Hawkins for some reason, seemingly centered on a church or whatever. Then everyone was talking like it was "just an earthquake" so I thought El had managed to close the portal by saving Max.

Because that's what the news media is telling them. Remember the scene of Mike's dad watching the news? Of course, the one's close to the Scooby Gang know different, but let's not forget it was most of Hawkins who believed Hellfire is a Satanic Cult. Satanic Panic 'n all.

by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2022 1:25 PM

Sorry, the ones close to the Scooby Gang ...

by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2022 1:27 PM

It's getting quite self indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2022 1:39 PM

R93, ppl are fkin idiots.

by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2022 1:41 PM

[quote] They're skipping to 1988 for s5. Which means there's a portal to the Upside Down in the sky's above Indiana for 2 whole years and apparently everything in the wider world carries on fine.

Hawkins be like ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 3, 2022 1:55 PM

Scooby Doo is right. I've never seen a villain take so fucking long to enact their plan. Vecna did everything but but sing The Story of Lucy and Jessie while yammering on about his backstory. Those vines could have choked out Eleven, Steve and the two bims in seconds, but instead they moved by osmosis. And Max levitated for so long before her bones started to break that I thought Vecna was waiting for Osteoporosis.

This show is so fucking bloated and overlong. Tell the story and get out. Bigger is not always better. The last two episodes were motherfucking interminable. And yes, the final episode was the same final episode we've seen every single season.

by Anonymousreply 150July 3, 2022 2:55 PM

I hope David Harbour can maintain that weight loss. He was already a sexy beast but now? Holy fuck.

I didn't mind the last two episodes as much as some of you did but I do think it they showed the Wolfhard kid is a terrible actor. Really, really bad.

Seeing 1988 through the lens of ST sounds fun!

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2022 3:37 PM

R151, I don't like him skinny. I mean he's never bad looking but heavier-- woof!

by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2022 3:41 PM

[quote] I hope David Harbour can maintain that weight loss. He was already a sexy beast but now? Holy fuck.

I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but between the first and second episodes that just dropped, Harbour looked like he'd already gained weight. He was lean to the point of sculpted in the first episode but when he got back to Hawkins and saw El, he had a muffin top thing happening.

by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2022 3:47 PM

[quote]I agree, [R128]. He’s a great actor. But I feel he was let down by the writers. I know it was the 80s, but this show is not a documentary. They could have written whatever but instead left Will’s sexuality as subtext. In 2022. That and the fact that this poor boy had to bury his feelings so that his crush could make amends with his girlfriend left a really bad taste in my mouth. Even the painting, so hyped from episode 1, was used to further that straight relationship. I didn’t like how the show runners handled Will’s story at all.

Thanks for agreeing with me. But at this point I wouldn't call Will's sexuality subtext. Certainly not after he secretly cried in that scene. We all know it. Jonathan, at least, seems to know it, or strongly suspect it. He just hasn't come out, yet.

Gay kid in love with/attracted to his straight best friend, who is his sorta-sister's boyfriend. Pretty dramatic situation - conflict makes for good drama, so why wouldn't they want to build up some tension there? Make it a cliffhanger.

There's a lot going on in this show, it's not the Will Byers Is Gay show, so I don't think the writers wanted to go into all the side issues or scenes it would have created if Will came out this season. Even if it were set in the present, not everyone would probably immediately accept it and live happily ever after. They would have to depict the various reactions of his other friends, and his mom. And Mike. The time was limited, to do this...and they were in the process of "saving the world".

Will is obviously highly emotional about the whole situation so you can't just pass it off with "Okay, he came out, problem solved, next problem..."

The writers also could have glossed all this over and cut to "6 months later" but who would that have satisfied?

So I actually think making it play out slowly as it probably would have done had this been real life (real life with an upside down and crazy monsters) works better.

by Anonymousreply 154July 3, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote]The writers also could have glossed all this over and cut to "6 months later" but who would that have satisfied?

Well the series is jumping two years in Season 5 so we'll see where we are then.

[quote]Also Will still hasn't said yeah I'm gay. Which wouldn't bother me given the amount of subtext they've thrown at him but that's apparently too subtle for some of the retards out there who can still pretend he's straight.

The original Duffer Brothers, "Pitch bible" had Will as someone struggling with his sexuality and while Will content was touch and go the first seasons; they have definitely dropped more than a few hints to let you know this is where they were always going. Robin was the only character they decided was gay after the fact at Maya Hawke's urging.

by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote]Robin was the only character they decided was gay after the fact at Maya Hawke's urging.

Yeah and it would work way better if Robin was straight and she and Steve hit it off, because the actors (and even the characters) have chemistry. Guess I'm not supposed to wish a gay character is straight, that's so politically incorrect. But it's kind of clear the show made a mistake, with the chemistry Maya and Joe have on screen going nowhere, Robin liking the chick who looks like she stole Molly Ringwald's wardrobe, and Steve and Nancy having that thing they have, whatever it is.

by Anonymousreply 156July 3, 2022 4:44 PM

[quote]Steve and Nancy having that thing they have, whatever it is.

I've always thought that Nancy was never going to end up with Steve or Jonathan or anyone else like that. She's definitely the person that will leave their hometown and come back to visit from her big "journalism" job in the city somewhere. That's the thing about these shows. Watching them as adults, you know that realistically, she'll end up with someone else entirely especially since her paths and interests are so different than both men.

[quote]Yeah and it would work way better if Robin was straight and she and Steve hit it off, because the actors (and even the characters) have chemistry.

While I do like seeing the actors together, I appreciate the fact that Robin and Steve are friends because they like being around, care for and support each other and not because they want to have sex with each other. There's not enough of that in film and television. When she meets someone he's genuinely happy for her.

by Anonymousreply 157July 3, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote]While I do like seeing the actors together, I appreciate the fact that Robin and Steve are friends because they like being around, care for and support each other and not because they want to have sex with each other.

Yeah, that's just so interesting and exciting. I'm not saying they have to want to have sex with each other. But a flirtation can't even be taken to another level, like a date. Their chemistry is clearly something like a romantic/sexual one, it doesn't seem genuine that she's a lesbian, actually. It seems forced. To me, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 158July 3, 2022 5:12 PM

It seems forced because Maya Hawke is a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 159July 3, 2022 5:19 PM

R159 Well yeah that doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 160July 3, 2022 5:43 PM

R153 I noticed that, but I wondered if the reunion scene with El was filmed before the last part in Russia post prison escape - i.e. David Harbour continued to lose weight, but the scenes were shot out of order.

---

I really felt they could have just finished the show this season. I enjoy watching it, but it could have just ended with Vecna's death and the permanent closure of the portal. Now we're going to get another season with Vecna being all bad and no doubt upping the ante, only to get killed at the end for the show to finally be concluded.

I think that's why Will didn't come out 'properly' - they want to keep it for the final season. They'd have done it in the scene with the brother if this had been the final season. It felt like they wrote it thinking they might not get renewed, then had a bit of a rewrite once the renewal confirmation came through.

by Anonymousreply 161July 3, 2022 6:11 PM

R161 If they did it with the scene with the brother (Jonathan) what were they supposed to do about him telling Mike?

by Anonymousreply 162July 3, 2022 6:20 PM

Natalia Dyer needs to eat a damned sandwich! She's starting to look like Nancy Reagan: Human Pez Dispenser.

by Anonymousreply 163July 3, 2022 7:02 PM

If Will can read Henry's thoughts, he can probably read Will's. I think Henry/Venaca will be the one to "out" Will and try to use his homosexuality against him. To torture him with Mike not returning his esteem/love. We saw how Henry/Veneca enjoyed taking on the visage of others while he had his victims trapped within his mind-realm (or whatever that was). Veneca will take on the visage of Mike, obviously, to try to get Will to give up. But I feel his character is tougher than that, personally! I think this will be a plot point when he and Eleven engage him in the final battle, bringing everything full circle.

by Anonymousreply 164July 3, 2022 7:05 PM

Well at least in that one way, she and Finn Wolfhard are looking like siblings.

by Anonymousreply 165July 3, 2022 7:06 PM

[quote] I noticed that, but I wondered if the reunion scene with El was filmed before the last part in Russia post prison escape - i.e. David Harbour continued to lose weight, but the scenes were shot out of order.

I think what happened was Covid. They shot some material, then had to take a break, then shot more after another break. I don't know where in that order Harbour got lean, but if they needed him lean for the Russia stuff, he likely trained, lost the weight, then after shooting the Russia material, was on an extended break and fattened up again. He is definitely someone who likes his pie.

by Anonymousreply 166July 3, 2022 7:14 PM

R162 Well, as it's the 80s, I think the brother would advise Will to keep it to themselves, as you can't know how the friends will react.

by Anonymousreply 167July 3, 2022 7:19 PM

R164 - Probably. I'm already bored by the thought of more lengthy Vecna scenes.

by Anonymousreply 168July 3, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote] I think what happened was Covid. They shot some material, then had to take a break, then shot more after another break.

I noticed that Gaten Matarazzo looked more mature in some scenes (like when Dustin and Eddie did their distraction part), like he got older overnight. The Sophia Petrillo curse?

by Anonymousreply 169July 3, 2022 7:49 PM

R169 What's the Sophia Petrillo curse? I know she was the mother on The Golden Girls but that's all I know about it.

by Anonymousreply 170July 3, 2022 7:51 PM

r170, it's a punchline from a Golden Girls episode where she claims that one day she looked young and gorgeous and the next she looked like the old woman on Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 171July 3, 2022 7:54 PM

R171 Oh, okay. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 172July 3, 2022 7:56 PM

Monsters from an alternate hell dimension are fine, but we draw the line at out gay kids in the 80s. Gotta keep it realistic.

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2022 8:16 PM

Someone explain to me why a show portraying a kid going through emotional stress being typically closeted in the 70s and 80s, and who's probably on the verge of coming out but is finding it difficult, is so offensive to so many of you. I think it's great.

If it was easy for you all, kudos. I prefer what's happening on this show to the Love, Victor type of thing where kids announce they're gay in the hall at school and everyone applauds. Maybe that's how it's done today, I don't know, I'm not that young. But I doubt it. I think coming out is portrayed (often, not always) as way to simplified, in entertainment media. I'm still not out to everyone. I guess I don't come across as gay to many people, which in some ways is harder - when people assume you're straight. Well, whatever - but anyhow I'm relating to Will.

by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2022 8:27 PM

They shot about 3 weeks before the pandemic shutdown. But I thought most of that was in Latvia or wherever they filmed the boring Hopper shit.

by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2022 9:53 PM

It seems like it would be a struggle for David Harbour at his age and height to maintain the weight loss. He is a really big guy.

by Anonymousreply 176July 3, 2022 10:51 PM

The Duffers were stoned as shit when they wrote this.

by Anonymousreply 177July 3, 2022 10:59 PM

I do kind of have to congratulate this season for making Jonathan of all people one of my favorite characters. Stoner shit aside

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 3, 2022 11:51 PM

I can't deal with Jonathan. He looks like a drug addict with Progeria.

by Anonymousreply 179July 4, 2022 12:25 AM

Vecna is Eleven's biological father.

by Anonymousreply 180July 4, 2022 12:34 AM

I've thought that, r180.

by Anonymousreply 181July 4, 2022 1:24 AM

[quote]Vecna is Eleven's biological father.

Technically, they all got their powers from Henry/Vecna.

[quote]It seems like it would be a struggle for David Harbour at his age and height to maintain the weight loss. He is a really big guy.

47 and 6'3. Reminds me of Dave Bautista saying this upcoming Guardian's movie is his last time playing Drax because at 53 he just can't get his body into shape the way he has to be (to run around shirtless) anymore.

[quote]Well, as it's the 80s, I think the brother would advise Will to keep it to themselves, as you can't know how the friends will react.

I think he'd tell him to be careful but he wouldn't go that far. Besides, they moved out of Hawkins even if they're back now because of what's happening. Those friends of his have risked their lives multiple times to save Will. There's no one in that nerdy group of kids that would care besides Mike who would definitely pull a, "You're not in love with me are you?" kind of move.

by Anonymousreply 182July 4, 2022 1:44 AM

Will could do better than self-obsessed (and fugly) Mike. Sure, Mike went all out to try to save Will from the upside down, but he comes to visit after not seeing his best friend for almost a year, and it is El, El, El, all the fucking time. When she isn't around, it is, is El okay? Are El and I okay? What should I do about El? Does El still love me?

Fuck you Mike. Your best friend is crying right next to you, after he gave you advise about your girlfriend, and you are completely oblivious to it. His brother, who is driving, noticed, but you didn't?

Fuck you, Mike.

by Anonymousreply 183July 4, 2022 1:49 AM

PS Will, you could do WAY better than Mike. Get a better haircut, and you could hop up to SFO or Indianapolis and pull.

by Anonymousreply 184July 4, 2022 1:51 AM

If I was Will's age I would also have a crush on Mike, he's adorable.

[quote]Vecna is Eleven's biological father.

Gross. Where was El's mother from, anyway? I don't think she was from Hawkins, or was she?

Can someone explain to me what the significance is of the beach, with young Max and Billy and their mom? Why does El keep returning to that in her mind?

by Anonymousreply 185July 4, 2022 2:14 AM

Why would Will have a crush on his best friend that he grew up with and is dating his step sister, it’s sick. No wonder he thinks he is a mistake. There are so many other guys to crush on in that town.

by Anonymousreply 186July 4, 2022 2:28 AM

r186 If you didn't have a crush on a close friend growing up you must be a very weird type of gay that's pretty much the universal experience (unless every last one of your friends looks like a troll) . Anyway Will has a crush on one of the only people his own age who has ever been nice to him and who tried to save him when nearly everyone else thought he was dead. Its not his fault that Mike turned into a pussy whipped little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 187July 4, 2022 2:41 AM

[quote]Can someone explain to me what the significance is of the beach, with young Max and Billy and their mom? Why does El keep returning to that in her mind?

Seasons ago Eleven tapped into Billy's memories. His fondest memory was being at the beach with HIS mother. (He and Max have different moms.) After that, things went bad when his mother abandoned him to get away from his abusive father and left him with him. His father later hooked up with Max's mom which produced Max.

Max wasn't at the beach but Eleven did tap into her happy memories, where she was hiding from Vecna.

[quote]Gross. Where was El's mother from, anyway? I don't think she was from Hawkins, or was she?

El's mother, Terry Ives, was from Bloomington, Indiana. El's father, Andrew Rich, was killed in Vietnam to scare Terry (after Dr. Brenner got him sent there) after she was poking around and found Kali (Eleven's "sister" from seasons ago) at the facility.

by Anonymousreply 188July 4, 2022 2:46 AM

[quote] His father later hooked up with Max's mom which produced Max.

Max and Billy are step siblings. They don’t share the same dad.

by Anonymousreply 189July 4, 2022 2:51 AM

You see how confusing it is.

I forgot Max was not at the beach, she was at the drainage ditch, skateboarding.

by Anonymousreply 190July 4, 2022 3:12 AM

R187 My best male friends growing up were like family I would never think of them in a sexual way. You smell their farts for Christ’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 191July 4, 2022 4:09 AM

R191 I never had crushes on any of my male friends, either. But it doesn't mean it couldn't happen to other people.

by Anonymousreply 192July 4, 2022 4:29 AM

Finn Wolfhard’s face has always made me think of a bird… there’s just something about his nose that looks like a beak.

by Anonymousreply 193July 4, 2022 6:37 AM

The thing with Will is that his crush on Mike can also be interpreted as desperation to hold on to his glory days when they, the others as well, were still doing D&D in Mike's basement.

The whole show is about growing up and, well, growing up in the 80s. For a character like Will, struggling with his sexuality, may express that through the need to stop change, so things can stay the same and struggles with adulthood stay far away in the future. He did so in the previous season when he got mad that the others cared more about their girlfriends than playing D&D.

Will's monologue in episode seven where El needs him is, obviously, about him loving Mike, but could also be about Will needing Mike to keep him from freaking out about adulthood. Will doesn't seem to have made any friends in his new town, making him feel isolated.

by Anonymousreply 194July 4, 2022 6:56 AM

r106, but was it common in the 80s to have a black guy dating a white girl in a predominantly white town, and everyone pretty much accepting it? Was it common for outcasts with obvious developmental/physical difficulties like Dustin to not constantly be called 'retards' by bullies? The 'it was a time' argument just seems like a cop out to me and an excuse for Hollywood to skirt around same sex male attraction. If this show is just being true to the era, it wouldn't be as fluffy as it is.

r115, I wanted him to survive, too. He was my favorite character this season, and his 'Master of Puppets' scene was awesome. It annoyed me that Dustin was the only one in the group to acknowledge, let alone give a shit, about Eddie's death.

r121, agreed. The only time I laughed was when he said NINA could be a small woman behind a tree. He was useless the rest of the season.

I get the distinct feeling r191 is one of the straight males on this board and is scandalized by the thought a gay guy in his friend group could think about bending him over.

by Anonymousreply 195July 4, 2022 7:10 AM

R193 Finn has the face of a Russian Whorekina.

by Anonymousreply 196July 4, 2022 7:13 AM

I know there are a lot of things to point out as not making sense, but when the group in the pizza van pulled up in the desert where Eleven was Mike spotted her on the ground right away which I call bullshit on that he would notice her that fast.

by Anonymousreply 197July 4, 2022 7:25 AM

R128 Noah is practically oscar worthy in comparison to the “acting” of Caleb and Gaten.

by Anonymousreply 198July 4, 2022 7:52 AM

If they do another season they’ll need to replace the actor who plays Will, or reduce his screen time further. He’s not good. Whenever he spoke it took me right of the show. He sounds too much like a Gen Z teen.

by Anonymousreply 199July 4, 2022 7:59 AM

R199, you just don't like the actor because there's a good chance he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 200July 4, 2022 8:48 AM

Don’t be daft. The kid can’t act and it’s painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 201July 4, 2022 8:53 AM

I don't think anyone watches Stranger Things for its outstanding acting, especially among the youth contingent. But if any of them were going to be replaced for being below what's acceptable to be on Stranger Things, it would have been between seasons 1 and 2. The producers now have the (too large) cast that is going to flog this horsie past the wire, which is in sight.

by Anonymousreply 202July 4, 2022 8:56 AM

R174 I get where you're coming from, but I think the disappointment within the fandom mostly stems from the fact that the Duffer brothers said that Will's sexuality would be explicitly addressed in the final two episodes. Now, while that statement is open to a degree of interpretation, it's not unreasonable to assume that it meant Will would come out to at least one character.

The thing I don't get is why age is often brought into discussions about sexuality. They'll say things like "Will is only a teenager, he's too young to know he's gay", but no one says Mike is too young to know he's straight. It's just accepted that El is his girlfriend and he loves her.

Everyone's different, but at 14/15 I knew I was gay. I'd passed puberty and, therefore, knew what I found attractive. So I don't really think it's unreasonable to assume Will would know he was gay and may feel comfortable enough to tell his brother who he's close to.

by Anonymousreply 203July 4, 2022 8:59 AM

[quote]R203: They'll say things like "Will is only a teenager, he's too young to know he's gay", but no one says Mike is too young to know he's straight.

When you read statements like that here, know that it's coming from a career homophobe, probably straight, and probably paid to be here.

by Anonymousreply 204July 4, 2022 9:02 AM

Actually, Caleb McLachlin was superb in the scene where Max dies (and when Lucas turns into Vecna). His shouts to Erica for help were heartbreaking. The whole scene was a punch in the gut. That said, im not quite sure bringing Max back was dramatically the best thing to do. Although it’s hinted that she’s somehow not there anymore, that maybe her soul is gone.

by Anonymousreply 205July 4, 2022 9:03 AM

r201 Are you Finn Wolfhard? Why would anyone complain about Noahs knock it out of the park performance when the guy who was his scene partner for 90% of the season has somehow got worse from how good they were as a 14 year old is right there.

by Anonymousreply 206July 4, 2022 11:12 AM

I wonder if the ending will be a Nightmare on Elm St 4 with the souls of all the people he's killed escaping.

by Anonymousreply 207July 4, 2022 1:12 PM

Yes, Fin Wolfhard as the great white hope of acting seems to being fizzling out quickly.

by Anonymousreply 208July 4, 2022 1:22 PM

he seems more into music anyway

by Anonymousreply 209July 4, 2022 1:44 PM

[quote]His shouts to Erica for help were heartbreaking. The whole scene was a punch in the gut. That said, im not quite sure bringing Max back was dramatically the best thing to do.

indeed, Gaten sobbing over the death of Eddie was heart-breaking, but frankly, gaten always chews the scenery. Caleb finally getting a meaty emotional scene and doing so well was gratifying.

by Anonymousreply 210July 4, 2022 1:46 PM

r198 people have been commending Caleb for his acting and I'm like "whaaaat?", he is so bad. Poor Gaten has a short window, he is losing his youthful cuteness.

by Anonymousreply 211July 4, 2022 5:06 PM

Caleb didn't suck as much as he usually does. It was actually nice to see. I thought Noah was very good, very natural. He comes off like a gay teenager terrified to be found out. If anything is letting him down, it's the ham fisted dialogue. I agree that back then, you would rather be eaten by a demodog than to have anyone to confront you about your sexuality, even in a friendly way. And you sure weren't going to admit it to anyone. Especially living where they did. Anyone who says otherwise is looking at the past through rose colored glasses or was never there.

by Anonymousreply 212July 4, 2022 6:04 PM

The scene where Max and Lucas communicated by "texting" was rather sweet.

by Anonymousreply 213July 4, 2022 6:50 PM

[quote]indeed, Gaten sobbing over the death of Eddie was heart-breaking, but frankly, gaten always chews the scenery. Caleb finally getting a meaty emotional scene and doing so well was gratifying.

Sadie, Caleb and Gaten are the three who are getting almost universal praise from critics of this season.

And Caleb calling for help from Erica was improvised like Hopper and Joyce's kiss and Eddie telling Dustin he loved him.

by Anonymousreply 214July 4, 2022 7:10 PM

Do I misremember things, or did nobody but Joyce and Murray know Hopper was still alive until they turned up with him at the end?

by Anonymousreply 215July 4, 2022 7:52 PM

I think Sadie, Millie, and Noah are the best out of the kids. Gaten is good too, I know people think he can go over the top but it works for the character. Dustin has big feelings

by Anonymousreply 216July 4, 2022 8:05 PM

R215, I think so. I believe Joyce didn't want to get Eleven's hopes up. When they were sitting around the dinner table with the kids, she and Murray were keeping it quiet. Also Eleven was powerless so it's not like she could have helped.

by Anonymousreply 217July 5, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote] "Will's going to be a big part and focus, is really all I can say of Season 5, in his journey. We're starting to see his coming of age, really. Which has been challenging for a number of reasons, some of which are supernatural. But you're starting to see him come into his own." Ross Duffer added, "[It's] setting up us coming full circle back to Season 1. I think you'll see that with a couple of the character arcs, not just with Will. But also with Steve and Nancy, and her relationship with Jonathan where things are not fully resolved. The characters have maybe made steps, like in the case of Will, but that journey isn't over yet. All of that is going to play a huge role as we try to wrap this thing up next season."

Sounds good he had less screentime than every other character in s4. Unless they end up killing him in which case they can fuck off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 5, 2022 12:20 AM

2024 for season 5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 5, 2022 5:46 AM

R219 They gotta be kidding they will all look 30 by then.

by Anonymousreply 220July 5, 2022 6:17 AM

There's no confirmed date, but its more likely to be 2024-25 than 2023.

The initial kids are 17-20 right now, but playing 15 year olds. So yes, it'll be a harder sell to have the next season take place *immediately* after Season 4, so I hope they don't do that. Maybe include filler stories in other media, but not S5 itself. They can do a time jump and have ~20 year olds (18-22 depending on actors and production timing) play 16-17 year olds just fine. Shows get away with that alllll the time. What'd be harder is to have 19-23 year olds play 15, which is what'll happen if it takes another few years to make the next season, and the story takes place immediately after S4.

Hopefully there's some kind of jump (and it can be as simple as the protags hanging in Hawkins to provide support to its more stubbornly sticking-around residents while finally actively trying to hatch often-doomed plans against the upside down; this is also a nice time gap to support the franchise through other media like video games) and we see less delay than what COVID-19 brought (3 years vs approx 1-2).

But these actors aren't the ones that'll look 30. Looking 20 when playing a mid teen is problematic, but looking 30 when playing an early college ager is creepy. The senior kids' actors - Jon, Nancy, Steve etc - are the ones that are currently at or approaching 30, but playing freakin 18-19 year olds! This is barely tenable. Steve works because of babyface and good health, but Jonathan often doesn't... because of deadface and bad health, and Nancy is fraying hard at the edges (looks early 20s at best, not 18, and it think it takes a lot of movie magic). They're gonna all look 20something in the next season no matter what, so again, a time jump that'll have the characters at somewhere more age 19-21 can help a lot. Like it won't help Jonathan because he's a visual mess, but the others might do fine.

Erika needs the boost the most because she's been a 15 year old (who looks 16-17 IRL) playing a 11-12 year old and its the most ridiculous. Any time jump, as long as the showrunners can make it, would help her a lot. It won't fix things, but say, a 16-17 year old (who looks 18 IRL) playing a um... 14 year old isn't nearly as ridiculous as trying to have us believe Erika is still like... 12? HA!

by Anonymousreply 221July 5, 2022 6:42 AM

R217

OK, so I did have it right. Wasn't the kids' reaction to his reappearance incredibly blase under these circumstances? Yes, it was an emotional reunion with hugs and all, but shouldn't they have been totally losing it? Rather than be like "That rascal Joyce, tells us she's going to a conference, when in reality she's fetching our good friend/surrogate dad who we WERE CONVINCED WAS DEAD"? The reactions seemed more appropriate to a reunion with people who already knew he was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 222July 5, 2022 9:23 AM

r222. there were very likely phone conversations off camera. I mean, Hooper, Joyce, and the agent lady didn't just show up at the cabin out of sheer luck hoping to find the kids there. The kids were cleaning the cabin up for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 223July 5, 2022 9:44 AM

R223

Right, that makes sense - I didn't think of the fact there was a small time jump after the destruction in Hawkins.

by Anonymousreply 224July 5, 2022 10:04 AM

If they showed everything, the episodes might be overlong.

by Anonymousreply 225July 5, 2022 10:06 AM

S5 confirmed for 2024. That seems so farrr away.

by Anonymousreply 226July 5, 2022 12:06 PM

r226 It is but they pulled a 3 year wait for s4 people were predicting everyone had stopped caring and it became the most streamed thing ever or something so they're probably not that bothered. They only have to hope Netflix doesn't go under before then.

by Anonymousreply 227July 5, 2022 12:15 PM

I'm shocked people still care and that this season broke records given most have the attention span of a four year old.

by Anonymousreply 228July 5, 2022 3:58 PM

r228, there are few instances where fans remain invested and create a pop culture hit people need to be part of (to discuss it) or be left out of the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 229July 5, 2022 4:06 PM

It's a lot easier when all you have to do is flip on the TV.

by Anonymousreply 230July 5, 2022 4:15 PM

I tried to watch this series, and couldn't get past the first episode. Never saw the appeal of it.

by Anonymousreply 231July 5, 2022 4:41 PM

Are you Gen X?

by Anonymousreply 232July 5, 2022 4:55 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 5, 2022 8:02 PM

R233 I don't get what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 234July 6, 2022 1:07 AM

Just click on "I'll try later"

by Anonymousreply 235July 6, 2022 1:09 AM

I wonder what the spin-off idea is. Apparently the Duffers haven't told anyone, but Finn Wolfhard guessed it. They say it is very different from Stranger Things.

My guess, Will comes out, gets a better haircut, and moves to NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco in the early 90s and celebrates his newfound freedom with rampant sluttiness.

by Anonymousreply 236July 6, 2022 2:20 AM

R236, will that particular spinoff be called "Stranger Men?"

by Anonymousreply 237July 6, 2022 2:23 AM

50 years later, Mike, Dustin, Will and Lucas move to Florida and snipe at each other while eating a lot of cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 238July 6, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote] DEADLINE: Noah Schnapp’s Will Byers got Stranger Things started, by disappearing into the Upside Down. He was this cute little kid, and now he’s a grown up good looking kid. He’s talking to Mike in that Surfer Boy pizza truck scene, telling him why he must fight for El and what she means to him, and then he turns away and cries, making you think he was professing his own love for Mike. Who was oblivious to what was said, beyond trying to get back his girlfriend El. Describe what’s going in Will’s mind there. Is he dealing with the feeling he might be gay?

[quote] ROSS DUFFER: Will was sort of still finding himself. He’s young still, even though he has grown up, and he’s afraid to fully express all his feelings to the people he really cares about. First and foremost being Mike. And so, that scene really exactly like you were saying is his way of at least relieving himself of some of that burden of saying some of the things out loud even if he’s not able to fully open up to Mike. He’s able to at least get some of those feelings out.

[quote] While Mike may not fully pick up on it, his brother does because he’s got that brotherly bond, which is why we wanted to do that scene in Surfer Boy Pizza in the final episode. Where his brother goes to him and without actually saying it, says I understand and I know, and they’re able to have that moment. Now, that journey of Will’s character is going to continue and that’s really going to be his arc as we move into the final season and complete that journey.

[quote] MATT DUFFER: Everything that he is, by describing how Eleven feels for Mike, he is describing his own feelings. It’s just for him it’s his way of, as Ross says, expressing himself and Mike just doesn’t understand, and not in a bad way. He misses it. He doesn’t get it, and I think when Will is crying it’s because he has all these feelings and Mike doesn’t understand and he can’t find a way to express them in a way that Mike can understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 6, 2022 3:30 AM

R205. I think most people agree it wasn't a good idea to bring her back.

It seemed like a cop-out honestly. My suspicion is that her mind is with Vecna now, since we've been told he subsumes the identities of those he kills, and the next season will have some contrived story of trying to rescue her mind or something from the hive mind that is the Mind Flayer/One.

by Anonymousreply 240July 6, 2022 6:05 AM

Well, it looks like MBB isn’t the only one letting success go to there heads or in the case of David Harbor losing some weight and getting some positive attention like a former fat girl. In his dreams Jacob Elordi…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 6, 2022 6:37 AM

Honestly, I don't mind MBB. She's clearly the best actor on ST and I'm inclined to agree that she is better than some of the writing this show is delivering.

At least next season will be the last. This is turning from a decent King (inspired) show into a rather mediocre one with all this world-building.

by Anonymousreply 242July 6, 2022 6:50 AM

Do they purposely make Mike and Nancy's father a doofus? No wonder the mom was attracted to that bad boy last season.

by Anonymousreply 243July 6, 2022 6:55 AM

R243 Isn’t he just a parody of many of those TV fathers of the time?

by Anonymousreply 244July 6, 2022 7:55 AM

Shame David Harbour gained all that weight back.

by Anonymousreply 245July 6, 2022 8:03 AM

I preferred Dad Bod Hopper to ripped Hopper. Fight me.

by Anonymousreply 246July 6, 2022 8:34 AM

His face looks better with more weight on. He’s just meant to be a bear.

by Anonymousreply 247July 6, 2022 8:43 AM

That’s what I was thinking. Sad thing is when guys over 40 lose much weight, it tends to goes from the face too and can instantly make them look a decade older. Can’t win in life, huh?

by Anonymousreply 248July 6, 2022 10:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!