Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell me about Anjelica Huston

Did she win her Oscar because of nepotism? What are her best roles?

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2022 2:10 AM

She was of little interest and of no importance. She has retired.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2022 12:45 AM

Slightly below average actress that had blackmail on everyone

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2022 12:57 AM

She was satisfactory in a supporting role in this poignant, fine movie.

Her role was satisfactory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2022 1:00 AM

Was living in Roman Polanski’s house when he was diddling little girls.

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2022 1:07 AM

Was probably raised being passed around by her father and his friends, similar to Tatum O’Neal.

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2022 1:09 AM

She said Oprah has never forgiving her for winning the Oscar over her

Seriously, Anjelica says of the few times they have run into each other, Oprah walks the other way

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2022 1:09 AM

She was extremely talented and had an underrated beauty.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2022 1:12 AM

Myra: Oh, of course, now that I'm looking at you in the light, you're plenty old enough to be Roy's mother! Lilly: Aren't we all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2022 1:12 AM

Love her. I think she's for sure above average as an actress, and I like her personality - would be fun to drink with. Twitter retards and the like gave her a ton of shit for that Vulture interview a few years back, but it was refreshing to hear a celebrity be blunt and no BS.

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote] would be fun to drink with

She was raised by her 'hunting, shooting and drinking' father in Ireland (the island of alcoholics).

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2022 1:19 AM

NO! Move along

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2022 1:30 AM

She should have won for The Witches, a performance which is a masterpiece of camp horror. Nobody could have known this was her if you hadn't told them. I still marvel at how she achieved that shrill high pitched voice the witch does when she's addressing the convention, and her sensual physical movements which give a surreal contrast to the grotesque form. Meryl Streep could not have done this. "Poison... and ya don't mind getting caught? Exposed? VILIFIIIIIIIED?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2022 1:42 AM

Is this thread for real? Anjelica is an icon. She was ripped to shreds after appearing in her father’s film when she was young. Her earliest acting work. She had to prove herself to be accepted. Now, any celeb off-spring can have a career.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2022 1:51 AM

I think she was at her best in The Grifters.

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote] Anjelica is an icon

Greek gods are icons. This retired Irish/American woman is not a god.

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2022 1:58 AM

She had a good run until she got on the bus to direct Rosie.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2022 2:03 AM

Such a wonderful scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2022 2:14 AM

R12 just compare her performance to Anne Hathaway’s. That proves a great talent Anjelica is.

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2022 2:17 AM

Grand High Witch of the old Hollywood Coven. No one turned it into a lifetime position before but behind the scenes she's the most powerful woman in the business. You do not cross her.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2022 2:24 AM

Great actress in a lot of classics- The Postman Always Ring's Twice, This is Spinal Tap, Prizzi's Honor, The Grifters, A Handful of Dust, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Witches, The Addams Family/Addams Family Values, Manhattan Murder Mystery, The Crossing Guard, The Golden Bowl, The Royal Tennabaums, Life Aquatic, 50/50, Isle of Dogs, The French Dispatch, and my favorite of hers: Daddy Day Care.

Her grandfather was the legendary Walter Huston, her father the legendary John Huston, and her brother the adequate Danny Huston.

Beautiful, elegant, and intelligent in a classic sense. From a different era.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2022 2:38 AM

She hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2022 2:39 AM

She was haunting in The Dead, directed by her father.

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2022 2:48 AM

I want to SPEAK to MIRIAM!

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2022 2:53 AM

I always liked her in Daddy Day Care. She was the pompous and pretentious headmistress of an advanced private pre school.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2022 3:11 AM

Oprah is ridiculous. She was never going to win, considering the Color Purple shut out that night. Meg Tilly probably placed second considering her globe win. Oprah was probably fourth or fifth place.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2022 3:39 AM

R20 Go and google the words ' Anjelica Huston' and 'ugly'.

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2022 3:59 AM

[quote]Was living in Roman Polanski’s house when he was diddling little girls.

I thought I read years ago that she was at Jack Nicholson's house and then left the day Polanski molested the 13-year-old girl. Angelica was living with Jack at the time and I think the photo shoot was at Jack's pool.

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2022 4:05 AM

Meant to say that Angelica left *sometime during* the day that Polanski molested the girl (unbeknownst to her).

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2022 10:06 AM

*Anjelica

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2022 10:16 AM

why has nobody mentioned "enemies, a love story"? I loved her in that.

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2022 10:48 AM

"Papa, you should see the size of him!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2022 7:21 PM

She deserves icon status for her performance in The Witches alone. She was perfectly cast in that.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2022 7:48 PM

[quote] She deserves icon status

Not permanent-icon status. Just temporary-icon.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2022 9:53 PM

I can't imagine anyone else playing Morticia but The Grifters is her best performance, that I've seen. She definitely has that star quality where you want to pay attention to her.

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2022 10:46 PM

[quote] She definitely has that star quality

Dear R34, you need to replace that 'has' with a 'had'.

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2022 10:56 PM

I want R19 to tell us more about this coven of witches that run Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2022 11:04 PM

Witches is a code word.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2022 11:09 PM

The films she directed are fucking great. Bastard out of Carolina is so heavy, yet good filmmaking. And Agnes Brown is sweet muck.

by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2022 11:16 PM

I can imagine Cher playing Morticia, but I doubt she would have been as inventive and unique in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2022 1:43 AM

Male Identified

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2022 1:47 AM

R39 I agree. Cher as Morticia would have been a disaster. Raul Julia and Anjelica Huston were perfect for Gomez and Morticia. They always seemed be perfectly detachedly amused and in on the joke.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2022 4:02 PM

Great charisma and star quality from a bygone era (late 60s-70s-80s). Part of the Hollywood A-list since birth, an insiders insider who also had talent and appeal to be a respected actress.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2022 4:53 PM

Agnes Browne was her best role. Sadly, the movie has pretty much disappeared but she was sensational.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2022 5:06 PM

No Dataloungers have read her memoir

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2022 7:50 AM

She writes interesting autobiographies. She’s refreshingly uninterested in protecting herself. She was all but a lapdog to Nicholson and owns right up to it. Her idiosyncrasies are unique to her and arise from childhood circumstances that are unlike *anyone* else’s. I was long into adulthood before I could see her beauty but I appreciate her a lot now.

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2022 4:37 PM

From her modeling days, a fabulous 1970s Japanese fashion commercial, directed by the legendary photographer Richard Avedon. It's very similar to photographer Sarah Moon's work. Watch the whole thing, it's a great end shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2022 5:57 PM

Anjelica has presence personality and striking looks. That's enough, with decent talent.

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2022 8:27 PM

Anjelica's self awareness puts her at a cut above a lot of other Hollywood types to me. Her autobiographies are fascinating because like a poster above said, she owns up to her bad romantic life and relationships as the result of her own issues, which a lot of regular women even don't do. She seems to realize that the way her dad treated her was the template for nearly every relationship she had, ESPECIALLY the one with Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2022 8:46 PM

Just how many autobiographies does she have?

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2022 8:49 PM

Two, R49. Which struck me as weird and unnecessary until I read ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 50September 8, 2022 1:01 AM

Very talented, striking and photogenic face, terrible body, misogynistic rape enabling creep. Great presence on screen.

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2022 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!