Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brad Pitt

Frankly, I'm surprised at the kind of career he has had. The stuff of dreams for mainstream actors and actresses.

But how? He looks great, but he's not a world class talent. He's not boring, but not super charismatic either. And he's not a bonafide box office draw.

He must have the greatest agent in the history of Hollywood.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 251June 23, 2022 12:58 AM

If you have the right look and can act relatively well, you will have a long career. If you're smart and have good taste, you will have a fantatic career.

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2022 3:13 PM

He was in the right holes at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2022 3:15 PM

He's nice and easy to work with. If he was a diva, he'd be over decades ago. Keanu Reeves isn't a big draw all the time either but he's sweet and kind to his castmates and crew. So never desperate for work either. Divas with limited talent get thrown away as they age unless they are like J. Lo who is idolized by basic fraus.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2022 3:19 PM

I think he cares a lot about art even if he isn’t a great actor. And I think he works hard.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2022 3:50 PM

I think he's actually a pretty bad actor, but he certainly had the looks.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2022 3:55 PM

He has "IT" and you can't have a career like that without it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2022 4:00 PM

I don't think he has "it." He's famous more for being relatable and hot. He actually doesn't stand out to me much. He's very attractive but has zero charisma or glow. I think his "aww shucks!" homeboy demeanor combined with All-American white boy looks did wonders to make him marketable. He's nonthreatening and adorable. Plus he's pretty kind and not conceited. It factor usually indicates this otherworldly vibe that makes you both admired but feared and despised. It's the opposite of approachable.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Cruise have "it." Because as unlikable as they are, you can't stop watching them on screen.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2022 4:06 PM

When I watched Fight Club, River Runs Through It and Legends of the Fall. I was interested in every other character except Brad's. He's just an ideal of a perfect male in that he's pretty but approachable and friendly. He's not interesting in a way you'd actually want to know what makes him tic. He's not repulsive or intellectual or deep. He's just charming and simple. He's someone you lust over or want to be best friends with. The All-American good ol boy with a piece of wheat grain hanging out his mouth. He's marketable to sell things.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2022 4:14 PM

He definitely has the IT factor. Leo is a good actor but is not a hot looking guy . Cruise is too weird to be that likeable anymore plus he is very short….Brad has aged very well and always seems to be a cool guy and is very well liked in HOLLYWEIRD . He is easy to work with and that goes a long way for casts and crews….

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2022 4:16 PM

Years ago I was hanging out outside the multiplex and this kid (teenager) comes up to me and says, What are you here to see? And he tells me he's here to see Seven Years In Tibet. And I kind of frowned and said "Brad Pitt..." And he says, "Brad Pitt is a good actor, man," and he reels off a list of his movies. "He's always good." That changed the way I looked at Brad Pitt forever, for some reason. That a teen boy defended him. I realized pretty-boy Brad would appeal across a wide spectrum. Not just to girls and women. Stars like that always make it big.

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2022 4:17 PM

He's accumulated a $300 million net worth for his efforts. I think he's done very well.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2022 4:20 PM

R9 Leo and Tom do have it factor. It's not about being attractive. Steve Buscemi, John Cusack, Ed Norton and Robert Downey Jr do as well. It's about charisma and intrigue. They are interesting on screen. Tom Cruise being short didn't prevent him from being a sex symbol in the 80s and he was likable when young and hid his crazy side. Brad is very bland and soap opera pretty. Brad isn't intriguing or interesting in any way. His popularity is relatability and good ol American boyish charm. He sells because he's not complicated and is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2022 4:23 PM

Although no Brando, he seems like more than a decent actor to me. He can do both comedy and drama which is difficult for many talented actors. He (or his people) have also done a great job in selecting his roles.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2022 4:25 PM

As someone else noted on another thread, he's one of the few true movie stars. All his personal messiness should've sunk him, but instead he's more beloved than ever. As he's gotten older, he seems to have a sense of humor about himself, unlike DeCaprio or Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2022 4:28 PM

I don't know anyone who goes to see a movie just for Brad Pitt. He's not Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington or even Keanu Reeves, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Mark Wahlberg.

I do commend him for choosing roles that genuinely interest him and not just popcorn blockbusters or Oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2022 4:33 PM

Ask Thomas Racina.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2022 4:37 PM

He was very good-looking when he was young and moderately talented. I am surprised he's lasted this long. Nothing against him, he seems like a nice guy.

He does a cameo in the absolutely awful Sandra Bullock film rip-off of Romancing the Stone. She asks him why he's so handsome. "My father was a weatherman."

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2022 4:45 PM

He can't act. And he doesn't have much charisma.

He has tried very hard a few times, though. That I will give him.

Leo does not have "it" but he is a good actor, even in dreck. That is why people watch him.

Tom Cruise does have "it" and is a middling actor.

Henry Cavill has "it" definitely, and needs to work on the acting thing. He needs to bank money but start switching to something serious that will stretch him, or end up as so much beefcake.

I do not take box office as a sign of anything except marketing. People will consume garbage if it's sold well. That's the key to most bullshit consumption constantly going on in this country.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2022 4:48 PM

Gawd, Leo was ugly as shit in that Meteor is gonna kill us movie on Netlfix. How the mighty have fallen into disrepair.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2022 4:51 PM

Denzel had "it" and could act. He is most blessed. Also does work that shows off his range even if that means stay out of bullshit superhero films.

Depp had it and tried to act but did too stylized of stuff (too much Button and Disney stuff) and is now stuck on schtick.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2022 4:53 PM

People think Leonardo Dicaprio is a good actor? I guess hype will take you very far in Hollywood. Maybe he was good when he was young, but that was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2022 4:57 PM

Leo was impeccable in The Revenant.

The focus of the entire film and mostly not talking.

Did a lot better than Redford in Jeremiah Johnson, which was the one film he didn't rely almost totally on his looks and charm in.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2022 5:08 PM

He wasn't a very good actor at the beginning of his career. Not the worst, but pretty wooden. He's improved a lot over the years. He'll never be one of the greats, but he does have charisma and a certain likability that the best movie stars must have.

A lot of men just as handsome if not moreso haven't had all the chances he's had. I think he sticks around because people do like him. He must be easy to work with and professional and never settled into just being a himbo like many others did. He keeps trying to get better and take more interesting roles and films. That shows guts.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2022 5:15 PM

R21 I agree. Leo is phoning it in in every role he's played since Marvin's Room.

The actually talented Gen X American actors would be Ed Norton, Ethan Hawke, the late River Phoenix, Joaquin Phoenix, the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman (truly the greatest actor of his generation, and the last actor I saw a movie for just because he was in it), Michael Stuhlbarg, Sam Rockwell, ...mostly character actors.

Adam Sandler is a consistently great dramatic actor but for easy money reasons has churned out shitty comedy after shitty comedy and ruined everyone's perception of his talent. Ditto Jim Carrey - he's a far better serious actor than comedian. Nicolas Cage used to be good to excellent in most of his roles until the 21st century.

Very, very few men and women since the New Hollywood era are both talented and A++ List stars.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2022 5:17 PM

If you’re stunningly good looking and can act well enough, you’re golden.

I love him in Seven

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2022 5:18 PM

Brad has aged well?... Have you seen him in photos and video upclose lately... looks barely better than a well kept cleaned up a bit homeless person...He looks older than his age actually...

Personally, I NEVER EVER thought he was all that looks wise... COUNTLESS men all over southern california (besides everywhere else) that are way way more handsome and who don't have pocked marked faces) and way better built.

PITT IS LITERALLY the modern day embodiment of press agentry and hype over the top so..

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2022 5:22 PM

[quote]Henry Cavill has "it" definitely, and needs to work on the acting thing.

If Henry Cavill had "it," he'd be a much bigger star. He's had every opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2022 5:27 PM

Cavill would not be getting all of those chances if he didn't have "it".

Bad actor who beards and cant pretend attraction to females onscreen aside, the camera loves him.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2022 5:32 PM

The camera may love him, but audiences don't.

I think you and I have different definitions of "it."

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2022 5:33 PM

They don't because he can't act and chooses dumb stuff.

The weird "nerd dating imaginary girlfriend" shit doesn't really fly and does him no help.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2022 5:35 PM

I've posted this before, but I went to a screening of OUATIH and the scene where Brad jumps up on the roof and takes off his shirt- people gasped. This was a lot of industry people too, not a regular audience.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2022 5:45 PM

Henry Cavill has been getting so many chances because liberal Hollywood has become rather charitable toward Brits/Europeans in the past 15 or so years all the while ignoring homegrown talent.

Had Cavill been older and started pre-2000, when Hollywood used to give American actors first dibs on roles, he would not have had much of a career.

That said, he needs to think ahead. The way things are going, the country will become very conservative and nationalistic by decade's end. Thus, American actors will have main priority once again.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2022 5:45 PM

Heh, people forget that Brad Pitt's early film career was as a character actor. Stoner, madman, redneck killer, etc. Geena and Ridley made him a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2022 5:52 PM

He looked sensational when he was 20 something. When you are easy to work with and look like him, you’ll have a good career.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2022 5:58 PM

R33 he has TRIED to be a character actor.

Lacking character, that's a tough row to hoe.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2022 6:01 PM

Some people think he works better as an edgy character actor than leading man.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2022 6:25 PM

No r35 he actually WAS a character actor. A supporting actor.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2022 6:28 PM

He’s blonde attractive he’s not untalented and he has a name that sticks. Perfect for Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2022 6:29 PM

Blond.

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2022 6:30 PM

I think of him as the male Michelle Pfeiffer. Good bone structure, low maintenance ( no drama queen theatrics) and a decent amount of talent. That's why he ( and Pfeiffer) have lasted so long.

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]Some people think he works better as an edgy character actor than leading man.

I think his best performances were in Kalifornia and Twelve Monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2022 6:32 PM

Pfeiffer tries acting and succeeds, Brad tries and mostly fails.

Being in character actor roles doesn't mean he made any of them land very well.

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2022 6:36 PM

Cavill is the British Brad Pitt. Stunningly good-looking, but has zero star presence and very little acting chops.

I still can't believe Pitt won an Oscar for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Pacino or Pesci should've won that year.

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2022 6:44 PM

[quote]I still can't believe Pitt won an Oscar for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Pacino or Pesci should've won that year.

Pitt stole every frame he was in. Pacino and Pesci's CGI make-up was too distracting to be taken seriously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2022 6:53 PM

R44, agree. I couldn't take my eyes off him. Leo was excellent too.

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2022 6:55 PM

That movie was overblown tripe.

People lap up anything with certain names attached.

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2022 6:58 PM

Maybe because I felt Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a bloated, self-indulgent mess as to why I didn't think too much about his performance. In fact, no one came away from that film with a memorable performance.

by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2022 7:02 PM

You are definitely in the minority on that.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2022 7:06 PM

[quote]Maybe because I felt Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was a bloated, self-indulgent mess

That's Cannes Film Festival honoree, 10-time Oscar nominee, 12-time Critic's Choice nominee, $375 million-grossing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to you.

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2022 7:07 PM

People on here are such fascists. Can't we have differing opinions? Tarantino was and is polarizing and a self-indulgent fetishist. Critics are out of touch with most people. And Brad is just serviceable as an actor. If he was ugly, nobody would be defending his non-presence and lack of nuance as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2022 7:09 PM

Is someone keeping you from expressing your opinion, R50? I fully support your right to be wrong as often and loudly as you like.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2022 7:11 PM

Brad Pitt IS Floyd.

Best role he's ever played.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2022 7:12 PM

Tammy Cruise has had a much steadier career than Pitt. And as noted above, Pitt looks at least 10 years older than his age, despite this headline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2022 7:12 PM

R51 Okay thank you for the uninspired response. Brad ain't gonna fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2022 7:12 PM

No worries, R51, Brad ain't my type.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2022 7:13 PM

He's got one fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2022 7:13 PM

Sorry, that was directed at R54. I don't need to remind myself I don't find Brad attractive.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2022 7:14 PM

[quote] That's Cannes Film Festival honoree, 10-time Oscar nominee, 12-time Critic's Choice nominee, $375 million-grossing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to you.

You really think you did something with this reply. Nothing worse than sounding like a Tarantino PR shill defending this turd of a movie.

Ten years from now, no one will be talking about this film or Brad's forgettable performance.

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2022 7:17 PM

Pitt doesn't look 68 years old, r53. He looks 58. He has an appropriately weathered face, with a surprisingly good body and too much hair to be natural. The overall effect is that he looks like a well-preserved 58.

by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2022 7:22 PM

Pitt is an OK actor. Tom Cruise is better as an actor. He should return to more dramatic roles. He was great in Rain Man, Born on the 4th of July, Jerry McGuire etc.

That once upon a time in Hollywood movie was utterly underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2022 7:28 PM

R59 = 20 years old.

Well preserved? He's been laid out in the sun and left to dry like a smoked California raisin.

Get the dye out of his hair and he'd look like Jeff Bridges.

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2022 7:39 PM

Cruise is a horrible actor. He's a miserable closet case that got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 62June 9, 2022 7:41 PM

Someone who's 20 would think Pitt looked like a 75-year-old grandpa on his Sad Last Days, r61.

by Anonymousreply 63June 9, 2022 7:43 PM

[quote]Tammy Cruise has had a much steadier career than Pitt.

Cruise is nothing but an action star now. They showed him the money and he ran with it. Next up "Mission Impossible 27".

by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2022 9:39 PM

Tom Cruise acted circles around Pitt in Interview with the Vampire. He's every bit the star that Pitt spent his entire career trying to be but failed.

by Anonymousreply 65June 9, 2022 10:23 PM

Brad is a middling dramatic actor; his looks carried him in movies like IwtV, Meet Joe Black, and The River Runs Through It. Where he has always shined were roles that required comedic timing or at least some hamming it up to work: Snatch, Fight Club, Twelve Monkeys, Kalifornia, Burn After Reading, the Ocean's movies, his two Quentin Tarantino movies (even though I personally think OUATIH was a shit movie). He's actually a damn good character actor in a hot leading man's body. As he ages into a leather handbag, I can't see his career slowing down though he will be in more supporting roles than ever. He also seem chill as a collaborator on set; people like that.

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2022 11:12 PM

R59.... while i'm not handsome, I AM 58 years old like PItt, and I look way younger than him without all the money and advantages that PItt has...

I seriously have no forehead lines, and certainly no bags and wrinkles under the eyes that PItt has in the photo posted above and he's not even smiling I might add....

I've never smoked, drank, laid out in the sun, and have great genetics I guess and yes, I still have all my hair too..

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2022 11:30 PM

R62, you know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2022 11:32 PM

R66 He's better as a deuteragonist or sidekick yes. He's complimentary and comedic and goofy fits him better. He is not a leading man because nobody goes to see a movie for Brad Pitt. Tom and Leo can carry a movie by themselves. And to be honest, I feel his personal life which was tabloid fodder kept his name up for two decades. The Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie nonsense served to keep him in the public eye in between movies. Jen was in America's #1 sitcom and Jolie was a rising star and hot sex symbol. That kept him known between Fight Club to Troy and Mr and Mrs Smith.

by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2022 11:34 PM

R69.. exactly... Pitt is the byproduct of a HUGE over the top build up, press agentry, publicity and so on... He was NEVER the best looking, best built "sex symbol" in the world as the media constantly try to tell us... Gosh knows there are countless men just in hollywood never mind the rest of california and elsewhere who are far far handsomer, sexier, better bodies, than pitt.. and that includes those are who actors or trying to be....

by Anonymousreply 70June 9, 2022 11:41 PM

Brad has had a lot of flops.

He treats everyone nice so nobody speaks ill of him in public. But we all know he's a drunk ass at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 71June 9, 2022 11:44 PM

Guys, guys, guys...listen, chicks dig him....literally GENERATIONS of women find him the most attractive. He crosses color barriers and such. He could slay women in their 20's to women in their 60's....NOW! I don't know if Paul Newman or Robert Redford could do that.

by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2022 11:51 PM

I don't think Paul Newman had interest in slaying women. He could get dick for the 60 years of his adult life though.

by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2022 11:53 PM

Paul Newman was a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2022 11:54 PM

He is pretty kind of attractive, not a rugged or brooding type. Approachable, sweet and unthreatening. And that's the kind of personality that's swallowed in wholesale by the fraus and the teen girls. He's not a sex magnet at all. A fantasy boyfriend/husband at best. The thing about him that surprised me the most though is his age. When I first watched Troy, I thought he was in his late 20's like a 28 years old something only later to find out that he was already 40 by then.

by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2022 11:56 PM

R72... women are so easily brainwashed by the media on whose hot, what's not, whose "in" and so on... SO SO many never realize that their male co-worker, the guy at the gym, and males elsewhere are truly technically better looking than PItt, some might have a better body than Pitt, but because they lead average lives, work at normal jobs, women can't see it... BEING A ACTOR and famous is a huge brainwashing powerful tool...

Working years ago as a "lowly" production assistant/gopher I remember going to various production companies, talent agencies and so on dropping off and/or picking up materials, seeing men in a room for audition and seeing SO MANY literally breathtakingly beautiful gorgeous men, that would make brad pitt look like average joe working at a used record store!....

by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2022 11:59 PM

The camera loves him and he oozes sex appeal and charisma. I saw “Thelma and Louise” in a movie theater. When he first appeared on that movie screen, my eyes popped from my head. He was breathtaking, and so HOT. I knew he’d be a box office superstar.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2022 12:02 AM

[quote]And he's not a bonafide box office draw.

I don't even know where to start with this.

Just because you don't have a Top Gun, Titanic, etc, doesn't mean you can't be a bonafide box-office draw.

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2022 12:03 AM

He isn't ugly. He's decent as an actor. picked good projects. I wonder what he will starr in next, now that he's an old man.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2022 12:03 AM

It isn't just about who is the most attractive, best body, face etc. People either buy what you are selling or they don't. People are buying Brad- for years now. There are plenty of threads on DL alone - What Ever Happened To?

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2022 12:04 AM

I have never thought he was that good-looking. He has small/squinty close-set eyes, pig nose, acne scars, jaw too wide, too skinny, too blond, etc...

Rob Lowe is much better-looking. I have never understood why Brad became a bigger star than him...anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2022 12:47 AM

In the 90s when I lived in Japan, he was HUGE there. "Buraa-Pii" is his nickname. The only other American as big as him was Mariah Carey.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2022 12:51 AM

R82 Ewwww Mariah Carey? It's on the same level as David Hasselhoff in Germany and Jerry Lewis in France.

Fucking foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2022 12:59 AM

R82, Madonna was the biggest in Japan

by Anonymousreply 84June 10, 2022 12:59 AM

No Madonna wasn't the biggest. I base "biggest" on who was in the most commercials, advertisements, and whose releases got the most press on tv. I speak Japanese and by far it was Brad Pitt and Mariah Carey. A little bit later, it was Kiefer Sutherland and a little bit earlier it was Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 85June 10, 2022 1:02 AM

R84 I thought it was Cheap Trick? Really....they were HUGE in Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 10, 2022 1:02 AM

[quote] "Buraa-Pii" is his nickname.

[quote] Ed-u-win!

[quote] Please. Please. Check out my ass. Very nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 10, 2022 1:39 AM

Why the fuck would Madonna be huge in Japan? She's the complete opposite of the Japanese ideal: she's domineering, slutty, not beautiful, lacks modesty and can't sing well. Asians like beauty, humility and talent. Mariah has (well had) talent, she and Whitney had a big influence on East Asian pop ballads. Both were good-looking women too. Brad was the beauty part. River Phoenix and Leonardo DiCaprio were also beloved in Japan. Japan loves androgynous beauty.

by Anonymousreply 88June 10, 2022 1:42 AM

Exactly, R88. East Asians love karaoke, so they adore great singers with those ballads and dance tunes. Mariah has always been huge in East Asia, especially in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan:

[quote] Mariah Carey's three "Tokyo Dome" shows in 1996 became the fastest sellouts in the stadium's history when all 150,000 tickets sold out in less than 3 hours.

And I remember those Japanese commercials with Brad Pitt from the 90s, particularly around the time of Meet Joe Black. He was huge over there. I don't know if he still is, but East Asians are loyal to the stars they love, so he probably is.

by Anonymousreply 89June 10, 2022 1:51 AM

Cruise is an actor/producer and Pitt is an Academy Award winning actor and an Academy Award winning producer. He wins. NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2022 2:30 AM

I had a class with Brad Pitt when we were attending Mizzou. I remembered his name because he walked into the classroom every day and it was like the lights turned on. Charisma with a capital C. He had the spinster teacher wrapped around his little finger, making jokes, smiling big, always leaning forward. He was very smart, too.

He also danced naked (with a pillow case on his head) at sorority birthday parties. One of his fraternity brothers told me this a couple of years ago. I would have rented him out for my own personal pleasure if I had known.

by Anonymousreply 91June 10, 2022 2:50 AM

R91, I know someone who went to Mizzou with him as well, and she told me that people, both women and men, were just in awe of him them. He radiated charisma and was magnetic.

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2022 2:56 AM

R88, Mariah Carey looks like a monkey

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote] Mariah Carey looks like a monkey

Man + Woman + Monkey = Brad Pitt

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2022 3:16 AM

R81, your point? Cameron Diaz looked like the Joker, had cystic acne and was a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2022 5:33 AM

r87 Brad Pitt's ass in jeans? Do you like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2022 6:20 AM

Do you like my ass? It is nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2022 6:21 AM

[quote] So you were rubbing baby shampoo all over Brad Pitt’s nearly naked body? Devine: Yes, but he was wearing a unitard. I applied the plaster bandage on the front and back of his body, which is the same kind you use when you’re getting a cast. We had a stand so he could hold his arms out to help support himself. When we did the front, he did his, uh, personal area, and [my colleagues] were laughing, because I had to do the backside. Brad turned around and said, “Nice ass, eh?” and I said, “Thanks a lot.” All my lady friends since then have said, “Oh, we could have helped you.”

He really knows what a great ass he has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2022 6:27 AM

He and Leo were interviewed on Marc Maron’s show while promoting OUATIH. He’s always just been there for me as a celebrity and actor, but he came across really, really well on that podcast. About as genuine and truly nice as you could expect someone like him to be.

Also his producing track record with Plan B is pretty phenomenal, so he’s got that to his credit as well.

by Anonymousreply 99June 10, 2022 12:02 PM

You guys love praising this drunk abusive asshole.

by Anonymousreply 100June 10, 2022 12:22 PM

R90... cruise has been a bigger superstar longer than pitt, his box office is way more worldwide, he's made more than twice as much money as pitt, and for years now Japan has a "tom cruise day".... cruise wins....

EVEN PITT HIMSELF years ago on Entertainment Tonight at some party, stated that "cruise as the king"....And while I personally boycott cruise because of scientology, these are the truths...

I rest my case...

by Anonymousreply 101June 10, 2022 12:27 PM

[quote] EVEN PITT HIMSELF years ago on Entertainment Tonight at some party, stated that "cruise as the king"....And while I personally boycott cruise because of scientology, these are the truths... I rest my case...

Uh huh, provide a link before you rest, Counselor.

by Anonymousreply 102June 10, 2022 1:45 PM

I think he has decent range. Look at Burn After Reading, OUATIH, and Benjamin Button, just as an example.

He also became pop culture code for "hot guy" at some point in the late 90s and that never really went away and cement his A List status. Iconic movies like Seven and Fight Club around the same time also helped, as did his part in the Jen-Brad-Angelina triangle.

by Anonymousreply 103June 10, 2022 1:58 PM

The Paul Newman comparison is laughable. Newman was a Broadway/theatre actor before making it big, and yes a GREAT actor who never really got his due as a top level talent. I don’t the comparative lack of praise was because of his looks, as Marlon Brando and Montgomery Clift were highly praised during their times (just before Newman came onto the scene) and they were both gorgeous men. Maybe overrated James Dean took up all the praise for his and Newman’s age group?

Robert Redford is a much more apt comparison for Brad Pitt. Never a great actor, but considered to be attractive and in a lot of watchable movies.

by Anonymousreply 104June 10, 2022 2:18 PM

**I don’t think, damn iPhones!

by Anonymousreply 105June 10, 2022 2:19 PM

Thanks to this thread, I’ve learned a new word:

deuteragonist

by Anonymousreply 106June 10, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote]The Paul Newman comparison is laughable. Newman was a Broadway theatre actor before making it big, and yes a GREAT actor who never really got his due as a top level talent.

10 Academy Award nominations, with one win and two honorary. 14 Golden Globe nominations and 6 wins, 4 Emmy nominations with a win, 5 Bafta nominations and a win, Cannes Film Festival win and Tony nomination among many more. Too bad he never got his due.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 10, 2022 7:14 PM

R104 Dean was a gifted young actor with a lot of potential. He wasn’t overrated at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 10, 2022 7:50 PM

R12, the actors you mentioned are all character actors…not leading men. Brad is a leading man due to his looks which the others sorely lack. He has also turned out to be a good actor. the gays may not love him but the straight world does…deal with it

by Anonymousreply 109June 10, 2022 7:53 PM

He's dreamy!

by Anonymousreply 110June 10, 2022 7:55 PM

R91 I heard a woman who also attended Mizzou back when he was there. She said her friends all knew who he was, but they thought he was "kinda dorky."

by Anonymousreply 111June 10, 2022 10:14 PM

OP, have you ever seen a photo of Brad Pitt?

by Anonymousreply 112June 10, 2022 10:19 PM

College Days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 10, 2022 10:26 PM

Paul Newman was and remains viewed more as a movie star rather than a serious actor like early Marlon Brando, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 114June 10, 2022 10:29 PM

[quote]unless they are like J. Lo who is idolized by basic fraus.

JLo is also idolized by millions of Latinos, so as long as her surgeries keep her looking good, she'll be around.

by Anonymousreply 115June 11, 2022 2:29 AM

[quote]Paul Newman was and remains viewed more as a movie star rather than a serious actor like early Marlon Brando, IMO.

Duly noted. The Academy has been informed of your opinion and all nominations have been rescinded and a team from Hollywood were dispensed to Connecticut and are wresting his Oscars out of the Widow Newman's hands as you read this.

by Anonymousreply 116June 11, 2022 9:26 AM

R102... I don't have a link to post.. I just remember watching a Entertainment Tonight show and at some industry party for tom cruise (when he was still with nicole kidman and you can see photos of the 3 together at this party honoring cruise online) that Pitt said to the interviewer when asked why he was there, pitt responded "because He (meaning cruise) is the King"....

by Anonymousreply 117June 11, 2022 1:33 PM

I already wrote one positive thing on here (about talking to the teen Pitt fan) but here's another. I took my mom to see Oceans 11 because she asked me to. For the most part, she didn't know anyone in it very well except Clooney, Roberts, and Elliott Gould. She was around 73 or 74. My mom had never seen Brad and he was the one she kept talking about afterwards - along with Gould - as the one whose acting she liked the most.

by Anonymousreply 118June 11, 2022 4:00 PM

Yup, he scores well with the over 70 crowd!

by Anonymousreply 119June 11, 2022 4:11 PM

R119 Oh, that's right, older people are useless and their opinions are worthless.

by Anonymousreply 120June 11, 2022 4:17 PM

Most charismatic actors are ugly and short in real life. Harrison Ford and Brad are dull but good looking. I guess someone good looking tall smart can do better than acting.

by Anonymousreply 121June 11, 2022 4:51 PM

He's hung like a gnat.

He's now old and wrinkled.

OP should be drooling over much younger men.

by Anonymousreply 122June 11, 2022 7:02 PM

There’s been a lot of renewed debate of Brad Pitt vs. Tom Cruise. I love Brad, but it isn’t even a contest in my mind, Tom Cruise wins it hands down professionally. Only thing Tom doesn’t have is an Oscar. I have never found Brad or Leonardo DiCaprio to be great actors. Tom isn’t the be all, end all, but his career accomplishments as a whole are unrivaled. Brad’s more relatable though and gorgeous. He hit at the right time.

by Anonymousreply 123June 11, 2022 7:58 PM

I met him working in retail in Los Angeles. He was dating Jen at the time.

Raspy voice. Pockmarked face. Big ears (that were probably pinned back later)

It IS all smoke and mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 124June 11, 2022 8:16 PM

I don't understand the need to vehemently defend theee celebrities and constantly reply to detractors like some fraus on here do. They get so triggered easily and that's why they get trolled.

by Anonymousreply 125June 11, 2022 8:21 PM

I think brad was desperate to succeed and slept around to get parts.

by Anonymousreply 126June 11, 2022 9:12 PM

I think Brad Pitt is a very good actor when well cast.

It's not like he's Cary Grant and not sure I'd put him in a comedy, but I was very impressed with his work in OUATIH.

by Anonymousreply 127June 11, 2022 9:37 PM

Loved Brad Pitt in THELMA AND LOUISE, OUATIH, BURN AFTER READING and that Guy Ritchie movie where he purposefully mumbles all the time. He was also very good in 12 MONKEYS.

He was laughably bad in 12 YEARS A SLAVE.

Put him in the right part, he's golden. In the wrong part, ruh roh. But that's true for most actors.

by Anonymousreply 128June 11, 2022 10:32 PM

Brad was smart to go into production as well, he can work forever.

by Anonymousreply 129June 11, 2022 10:39 PM

He's got something. I know he can be wooden as an actor and is generically goodlooking, but he's got something. It might be the proportions of his body - long torso, he looks great in jeans or low slung pants. He's got his cocky smile. I don't know. I remember giving my college roommate neverending shit about the Brad Pitt posters above his bed, but now all these years later, I must admit he's got that indefinable IT.

by Anonymousreply 130June 11, 2022 11:00 PM

I use to think he was a sexy guy, but lately, he reminds me of Johnny Depp. Nothing is more of a turn-off than a litigious little egomaniac going after a woman who had the nerve to not do what he wants. It's a bitch move. He's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 131June 11, 2022 11:12 PM

The cunt did what she agreed not to- which is why he's suing her scrawny ass.

by Anonymousreply 132June 11, 2022 11:21 PM

Oh please, R131. As if Jolie is some innocent, shrinking violet. She’s a viper and unfortunately for Brad, this is his comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 133June 11, 2022 11:23 PM

Sometimes someones "image" or "aura" as well as their personal life in Hollywood gives them some kind of allure. His name now evokes "star"...

And love it or leave it, he had a down to earth upbringing and has a strong family bond/unit.

I think its a combination of 5-6 things- looks, talent, allure, Angelina, Jen, solid family, pot, he produces, and luck.

He has a good momentum and made good choices- generally.

by Anonymousreply 134June 11, 2022 11:25 PM

I think most sane people in the business agree luck is #1. There's this one jazz club I like Vibrato in LA. Here are dozens of people with unbelievable skills and voices making virtually nothing, and a no talent gets a $60 million a year for a Vegas residency.

by Anonymousreply 135June 12, 2022 12:44 AM

Brad Pitt, Cheryl Crow, Russ Mitchell, Elizabeth Vargas, Jann Carl and Jon Sundvold all attended Mizzou in the same time period. I wonder if any of them knew each other.

by Anonymousreply 136June 12, 2022 2:12 AM

I don't think I would have kicked him out of bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 12, 2022 5:58 PM

I agree that OUATIH is bloated. Macho bullshit. A bastardization of history. And creepy foot fetish shots. The critics were not completely over the moon for it either. I'm glad "Parasite" stole its thunder at Cannes and the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 138June 12, 2022 11:37 PM

Tom Cruise is an idiot. He actually hung out of a real flying plane and no one cared. It didn't add anything to the movie. It could have been done in a studio and looked the same but he seems to think he needs to prove something. He hasn't had a real acting job in ages...oh yeah, "Rock Of Ages" where he sucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 12, 2022 11:47 PM

Margot Robbie reminds me of a female Millennial Brad Pitt (but more private - even though she lives in LA and loves the industry).

by Anonymousreply 140June 12, 2022 11:49 PM

R138, sad you are so invested in movies you had nothing to do with.

by Anonymousreply 141June 12, 2022 11:50 PM

Some people say he's one of the rare male actors who adopts the personality of the female he's dating.

by Anonymousreply 142June 12, 2022 11:52 PM

R139.. and that is a example of cruise's idiocy and insanity...

Yeah, on one hand he is DEDICATED to his movies, but risking your life? for what?.... He loves to go on and on and on about how he wants to give the audience the best time, the best enjoyment, how he wants to make it all "real" and not CGI and so on...

NEWSFLASH to tom cruise: the audience DOESN"T CARE or surely doesn't care that much if it's real or not! Seriously, it's a MOVIE! nothing more!..You would think he is getting paid millions more if he does his own stunts, but he's not..

SO what is the true reason for him risking his life? scientology, since he's already lived many lifetimes and will do so again and again, so this particular life isn't that important? trying to prove his manhood and take that monumental chip off his shoulder HE STILL has since childhood? Or what?

by Anonymousreply 143June 13, 2022 12:03 AM

Brad is a Good Ole Boy. He has confidence, charm, humor, and looks = Star Power.

by Anonymousreply 144June 13, 2022 1:08 AM

A good ole boy who liokes to wear dresses in photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 13, 2022 4:43 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 13, 2022 4:43 PM

r143 that's one reason I love Keanu. He doesn't pretend that he does all those stunts. He praises his stuntmen. Tom Cruise the definition of "fragile masculinity".

by Anonymousreply 147June 13, 2022 10:41 PM

Pitt even looks good in a dress.

by Anonymousreply 148June 13, 2022 11:47 PM

Matt McConnaughy is our generation's Newman. Although sadly not aging as well.

Pitt is Redford.

by Anonymousreply 149June 14, 2022 12:16 AM

And Sean Penn is our Brando, minus becoming horribly obese.

Tom Cruise is an interesting case in that he didn't follow the footsteps of any actor that came before him. He made his own blueprint. There isn't a star from the Golden Age of Hollywood that remind you of Cruise. He's a true original in that regard. Leo modeled himself early on after James Dean, but nowadays, he follows the footsteps of DeNiro.

by Anonymousreply 150June 14, 2022 1:33 AM

I notice the blue checks on twitter have finally turned against him because of the lawsuit and the success of the angie paid bots that smear him with accusations all day on twitter has spread to these journalists.

by Anonymousreply 151June 16, 2022 1:00 PM

Did DiCaprio really "model himself" on James Dean or he just reminded you of James Dean? He never reminded me of James Dean at all. Young Pitt, on the other hand, looked like Dean.

by Anonymousreply 152June 16, 2022 2:31 PM

r151 Come on, you can dislike Jolie and also call out that bullshit puff piece that Pitt did with Paltrow. That was completely full of shit and calculated.

by Anonymousreply 153June 16, 2022 5:01 PM

Speaking of that R151, that was totally odd and random. Didn’t know they even still spoke and the I loves yous were very 😳

by Anonymousreply 154June 16, 2022 5:04 PM

You are blind if you think Pitt is anything like James Dean.

by Anonymousreply 155June 16, 2022 5:24 PM

Gorgeous face but he really small ears

by Anonymousreply 156June 16, 2022 5:49 PM

r154 He's never wanted anything to do with Paltrow after their break up. He didn't even want her name uttered in his prescence. Now they're suddenly friends? Right.

He's basically saying "Look! I'm now friends with all my exes except that bitch Angie!". It's not even subtle.

by Anonymousreply 157June 16, 2022 6:53 PM

Brad won. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 158June 16, 2022 7:28 PM

r158 I don't care. My point is that they're both manipulative douches.

by Anonymousreply 159June 17, 2022 2:39 PM

I never realized how bad his acting is until I saw him in Fury.

But he is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 160June 17, 2022 3:53 PM

R138 the recreation of glamorous 60s Hollywood was gorgeous. But I disliked the ending. Too cruel and ugly. I thought it would have better honored the victims to have a strange coincidence or twist of fate prevent the tragic events. Like a butterfly effect sort of scenario. Rather than just more psychopathy and violence. Of course the director was Tarantino so I know people would argue I should have expected the ending.

by Anonymousreply 161June 17, 2022 4:46 PM

I thought the ending was so over the top with that girl screaming forever, it was almost cartoon like. The audience was laughing when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 162June 17, 2022 4:52 PM

R151 I'm neutral on Jolie vs Pitt. They're both beautiful bona fide old school stars, I will give them both that. Like the types we saw in the 50s/ 60s/70s. But yeah the blue checks will take whatever side they are told to like cultists. Right now the current meme is believe all women ( well not really, only the photogenic ones). So they are repeating that. If tomorrow the prevailing sentiment became Angie is wickedness incarnate we would see that repeated ad infinitum on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 163June 17, 2022 4:53 PM

It was "Thelma and Louise," he leapt off the screen, everybody loved him and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 164June 17, 2022 4:54 PM

R162 yeah there were a few chuckles in the screening I saw as well.

by Anonymousreply 165June 17, 2022 4:54 PM

R160 I didn't think he was terrible in Fury but I did think the film itself was slightly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 166June 17, 2022 4:55 PM

I think we were supposed to laugh, enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 167June 17, 2022 4:56 PM

[quote]It was "Thelma and Louise," he leapt off the screen

Only in some cities.

by Anonymousreply 168June 17, 2022 5:55 PM

I actually got sick watching that endless, violent gore at the end of Once Upon A Time. Just because Tarantino is crazy I don't see why I should have to share in it.

by Anonymousreply 169June 17, 2022 6:23 PM

Then don't go to his movies. How stupid are you?

by Anonymousreply 170June 17, 2022 6:27 PM

I kind of laughed in an "oh my GOD!!!" way.

by Anonymousreply 171June 17, 2022 6:31 PM

[quote]I actually got sick watching that endless, violent gore at the end of Once Upon A Time. Just because Tarantino is crazy I don't see why I should have to share in it.

Tarantino has been this way for years. At this point, you go into his films knowing there is going to be "endless, violent gore," R169.

by Anonymousreply 172June 17, 2022 6:33 PM

I wanted to wak out of that stupid movie when "STEVE MCQUEEN" "MICHELLE PHILLIPS" and "JAY SEBRING" came on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 173June 17, 2022 6:55 PM

R173 I liked that. I’m still bothered though by how “Steve McQueen” said “the UK” when people didn’t really use that so widely back then. They would’ve said England.

by Anonymousreply 174June 17, 2022 7:05 PM

[quote]Tom isn’t the be all, end all, but his career accomplishments as a whole are unrivaled.

Tom Cruise has been creepy for decades and his movies are meant for complete morons. There's no comparison between him and Brad Pitt.

Is ANYONE actually attracted to Tom Cruise these days? He looks like an angry midget with a plastic surgery addiction.

by Anonymousreply 175June 17, 2022 7:08 PM

[quote]Tarantino has been this way for years. At this point, you go into his films knowing there is going to be "endless, violent gore," [R169].

Well then of course I will never comment on it ever again. I also won't comment on school shootings ever again because we all know there are a lot of them and they exist and that's just how it is.

by Anonymousreply 176June 18, 2022 5:43 PM

r15 I can't speak for today but when Oceans 12 came out I remember being in a packed thearer on opening weekend. These two women behind me gasped in delight when the movie opened with sexy Brad Pitt. Yes, the Oceans movies had tons of stars so it's next to impossible to say those women or anyone went for him alone, but he certainly added the sexinest factor in a movie full of attractive actors. I will never forget how wet Brad made those two women behind me. No one else in that movie did it for folks like Brad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177June 18, 2022 6:07 PM

I find Ethan Hawke to be way to inconsistent. Sometimes he seems downright lost and not in a good way. I like him, but don't think he's really advanced beyond what tricks he learned as a child actor.

by Anonymousreply 178June 18, 2022 6:09 PM

R176, you can't do much about school shootings, but you can certainly not pay $15 for a director whose work you obviously don't like.

One problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 179June 18, 2022 6:12 PM

Pitt never interested me as an actor, personality or sex symbol. He wasn't memorable in most of the films I saw him in like Seven or Interview with the Vampire. Anybody could have done those roles. He didn't make any role his really though I liked him in Fight Club and Once Upon a Time . . .

by Anonymousreply 180June 18, 2022 7:08 PM

I don't work in Hollywood, maybe someone who did or does can verify this. But since OUATIH was one of those Hollywood movies about movies, I assumed Brad played a somewhat recognizable type. Ex stuntman, once-uopn-a-time stud, now a personal assitant and paid "friend" who is in a symbiotic relationship with a star. I thought Hollywood rewarded him for playing this characteer with emotional truth and accuracy.

by Anonymousreply 181June 19, 2022 2:56 AM

I agree with OP. Pitt is the luckiest man alive.

by Anonymousreply 182June 19, 2022 4:54 AM

Ethan Hawke is a really intelligent, introspective, sensitive guy--too much so for Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 183June 19, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote]Adam Sandler is a consistently great dramatic actor

?

by Anonymousreply 184June 19, 2022 5:32 PM

[quote] He looks great, but he's not a world class talent.

Right, because Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Demi Moore, Sandra Bullock, Will Smith, etc. are all world class talents

by Anonymousreply 185June 19, 2022 6:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186June 19, 2022 6:10 PM

They're all (or were) movie stars, just like Brad

by Anonymousreply 187June 19, 2022 10:28 PM

Brangelina worked the press 24/7. It was a big part of his appeal. Call the paps, assemble the kids, pose for the cameras. It's the same PR shtick the Kartrashians use.

by Anonymousreply 188June 19, 2022 11:13 PM

r183 = Ethan Hawke

by Anonymousreply 189June 19, 2022 11:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190June 19, 2022 11:45 PM

You want to talk about truly gorgeous handsome great body blonde/dark brown hunks around Pitt's age and time frame of a career that in my personal opinion makes pitt look very average? I've got 2 words: Shawn Christian...i'd take prime christian over prime pitt anyday and twice on Sundays...

former chippendale from the 1980's also around the age of brad pitt, Charles Wahlheim also was way handsomer, prettier, taller than pitt could ever hope to be....

now i'm NOT comparing their acting abilities to pitt, just saying these are just 2 in hollywood land that beat pitt out in terms of looks and body...

by Anonymousreply 191June 20, 2022 1:04 AM

[quote]I had a class with Brad Pitt when we were attending Mizzou. I remembered his name because he walked into the classroom every day and it was like the lights turned on.

r91 is lying because “Brad” is William Bradley Pitt’s middle name. He didn’t start using it until he got to Hollywood and some agent got rid of his first name and went with the catchier, all-American-sounding “Brad Pitt”.

by Anonymousreply 192June 20, 2022 7:43 AM

As an actor, he’s vacillated between middling to sometimes outright bad or just plain wooden, but never offensive. Every single project he’s done, he’s been surrounded by superior actors who’ve helped gloss over his relative lack of acting talent. Seven is a great example where he was out-acted at every turn by the three principals, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey and Gwyneth Paltrow, all providing masterclasses in either subtlety or intensity. On the other hand, Pitt was embarrassingly awful with his big scene “ what’s in the booooox” still making us cringe decades later.

by Anonymousreply 193June 20, 2022 7:46 AM

He was chosen by the Illuminati.

by Anonymousreply 194June 20, 2022 8:30 AM

He's not hated by straight bros the way pretty-boy teen-idol type actors sometimes are.

by Anonymousreply 195June 20, 2022 8:58 AM

r137 Is there anything more 90's than this photo?

by Anonymousreply 196June 20, 2022 9:07 AM

R193 Gwyneth delivered a masterclass?

by Anonymousreply 197June 20, 2022 9:32 AM

He’s handsome, likeable, and means well.

by Anonymousreply 198June 20, 2022 9:33 AM

Well, R191, if it's 2022, I'd take Pitt over those two.

[quote]way handsomer, prettier, taller than pitt could ever hope to be....

Google says Pitt is 1.8m. It says Christian is 1.82m. As someone who is 1.83m, I don't think there is a substantial difference between the two in height. We're talking less than an inch.

[quote]beat pitt out in terms of looks and body...

Well, along with charisma and acting ability, there were two reasons Thelma & Louise set him on the course for stardom. Ask the millions of women and gay men who saw it. He was also part of the metrosexualisation of the straight male populace, where movies were an influence on the male aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 199June 20, 2022 9:35 AM

[quote]Gwyneth delivered a masterclass?

Yes, she did. Seven, Emma, Sliding Doors, A Perfect Murder, Shakespeare in Love, The Talented Mr Ripley, Bounce, The Royal Tennenbaums, Possession, Sylvia, Proof, Two Lovers, Country Strong ... Gwyneth Paltrow is a fantastic actress with an impressive filmography, r197. Try not to let your personal dislike of the person cloud your judgement. She has never given an embarrassing performance.

by Anonymousreply 200June 20, 2022 11:57 AM

Brad Pitt's Google height is exaggerated, r199. Internet sleuths have determined he's between 5'7" (170 cm) and 5'9" (175 cm). These Hollywood actors pretend to be taller than they are. Don't trust PR-provided stats.

by Anonymousreply 201June 20, 2022 12:00 PM

[quote]an impressive filmography

[quote]Seven, Shakespeare in Love, The Talented Mr Ripley, Royal Tennenbaums, Two Lovers

Yes, impressive.

[quote]Emma, Sliding Doors, Possession, Sylvia, Proof

No, not impressive, but, yes, decent.

[quote]A Perfect Murder, Bounce, Country Strong

Um ...

by Anonymousreply 202June 20, 2022 12:04 PM

R199... R191 here. i guess will have to agree to disagree, whether 2022 or 2002 or 1992, in my mind, shawn christian and charles wahlheim were BEAUTIFUL and with better bodies than pitt... Pitt I don't think was ever beautiful with his pock marked face, slightly snout nose, he photographed well but that's it....

I meant to say that only wahlheim is quite a difference taller than bitt, not christian..

in closing, in regards to you picking pitt over these two now in 2022? Have you seen pitt lately? He is NOT aging well at all and actually looks OLDER than his age..

by Anonymousreply 203June 20, 2022 12:09 PM

Never been a big fan but he was very good in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which of course was Oscar winning. Great chemistry with Leo, who showed how good he is at comedy (there were very funny parts in the drama).

by Anonymousreply 204June 20, 2022 12:33 PM

From the recent photos I've seen, I would argue Wahlheim isn't aging well at all as he leaned too hard into the plastic surgeries, R203.

I think Brad Pitt looks about his age, if not younger. He also has a great mane for his age. I tried to find recent photos of him without a mask or sunnies, but the best I could do was the April 2021 Oscar ceremony (you might be able to find something more recent) when he would have been 57. He's had some botox in the forehead, but not excessive. He looks like he has a spray tan as well if you notice his skin by his hairline is lighter. He's colouring his grey on top, but it's really well done and blends nicely with his moustache. He may have even coloured his goatee as well (if that's possible) to look a little less grey and slightly golden. He's got the baggy eyelids and wrinkles around the eyes that are the big giveaways of him looking mid-to-late 50s. I mean, I think he looks like a fiftysomething man, and pretty great considering he had substance abuse issues. If I can look like that when I'm his age, I'll be doing extremely well.

He got some of the pockmarks (which never bothered me) ironed out a few years ago.

But, at least you and I don't have to fight over men. I get Brad, and you get two men! :P

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 20, 2022 12:36 PM

His role in Thelma and Louise made him a star. His acting in Kalifornia showed his acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 206June 20, 2022 12:50 PM

r200 You could've at least mentioned Hard Eight and Flesh and Bone, probably her 2 least Gwyneth-esque performances, instead of Possession and Bounce if you wanted people to take your post seriously.

r204 I don't think Pitt and DiCaprio's chemistry was anything special which is another reason why that film was underwhelming. It felt like because they're both big stars that we were forced to think that but they weren't a particularly interesting pairing, which is perhaps why they spend most of the film apart.

by Anonymousreply 207June 20, 2022 2:48 PM

I've often found him bland, but he was super charismatic in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".

by Anonymousreply 208June 20, 2022 2:57 PM

I really liked him in Once Upon a Time… as well and was glad he got an Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 209June 20, 2022 3:03 PM

Was Sharon Tate as much of a vapid bimbo as she's portrayed to be in OUATIH?

by Anonymousreply 210June 20, 2022 3:14 PM

R205.. i guess as I stated we'll have to agree to disagree.. i think pitt looks like a cleaned up homeless person, but that' s just me...

i'm actually the same age as Pitt and I (if I do say so myself) look years younger than PItt.. I don't have any of those bags or under eye wrinkles, no forehead lines or neck sagging and i've had NO plastic surgery either! then again, unlike Pitt, I have never smoked, drank, laid out in the sun for years on end and so on.. just saying....

by Anonymousreply 211June 20, 2022 7:34 PM

But is your body as good?

by Anonymousreply 212June 20, 2022 7:54 PM

I have never understood why Brad didn't become a star earlier.

Rob Lowe first became a star in his teens.

Not putting Brad down, I just never understood why he didn't become famous earlier and why it took so long.

Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 213June 20, 2022 8:29 PM

I’d take Pitt over Lowe any day.

by Anonymousreply 214June 21, 2022 12:06 AM

Who is Pitt fucking now? Has he been celibate all this time?

by Anonymousreply 215June 21, 2022 12:16 AM

R213 because he has no connections in Hollywood, it took him about 8 yrs as an extra till he got his big break in Thelma and Louise. In order to survive he become a houseboy to a gay soap writer and dated nepo babies.

by Anonymousreply 216June 21, 2022 12:21 AM

I'll take both, please.

by Anonymousreply 217June 21, 2022 12:25 AM

What does DL make of Brad's 58-year-old ass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 21, 2022 12:37 AM

Yum!

by Anonymousreply 219June 21, 2022 1:02 AM

R212.. well i'm bigger and more muscular, but not as ripped in regards to comparison of my body to pitt

R216... good explanation, then again tom cruise (who i hate now because of scientology but truth is truth in what I am typing as follows) went from 1980 high school graduate with no connections, no acting schools to 1983 star of breakout hit "risky business" and then only 3 years later, biggest star in hollywood with top gun... 6 years from nobody to biggest star is something I don't know has ever happened at least not in recent hollywood history of the past I don't know 20, 30, 40 years?....

by Anonymousreply 220June 21, 2022 1:22 AM

Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 221June 21, 2022 1:31 AM

R221... julia roberts is a good analogy, however, she 1) had her brother Eric who was a oscar nominated actor as a "connection" 2) their mother ran a acting school and 3) it took her 9 film/tv credits before "pretty woman" made her the biggest female star in the world, so I think Cruise still beats her in this discussion

by Anonymousreply 222June 21, 2022 1:37 AM

She opened a movie to $175M based MOSTLY on her performance within three years of starting out. She also got nominated for her (second) Oscar for said movie.

But, we can agree to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 223June 21, 2022 1:41 AM

He's easy to take. He's not annoying so he's not polarizing. When he's on screen you can kind of chill.

My mom barely knows one movie star from another and after she saw Moneyball at her retirement community she told me, "I actually liked your friend." "Your friend." is any celebrity as she knows I follow them and she never does (though Brad Pitt is not one I follow). Didn't he have a comb over in Moneyball and wear khakis? Still, it was easy for her to buy into him and that helped the movie.

I think people underestimate how much movie stars freaking ANNOY a huge segment of people even as they attract another huge segment. I don't think Pitt annoys anyone. Easy on the eyes. Even when he's playing trashed and middle-aged, you can kind of vibe with him. He's never out there begging for the audience to love him or be impressed with his looks or his acting. Again, you can relax.

Comparison: I was very disappointed in Once Upon a Time in America. I gave up pretty quick that it was gonna be a decent movie. When Pitt was on camera I was like - pretending it was a good movie - I trusted him. When DeCaprio was on screen (and I haven't seen him since Titanic) I was like - what a scam his career is. He's overacting awfulness. He just didn't have the ease Pitt had. I thought he was TERRIBLE. It took "Don't Look Up" (and at that, the second half) for me to be - ok, he's got something.

Don't underestimate how much not annoying people counts.

by Anonymousreply 224June 21, 2022 1:42 AM

R192, If you look into the Springfield Kickapoo High School yearbook of 1982 (senior pictures), and the University of Missouri Savitar yearbook of 1983 (the Sigma Chi group shot), you'll see the pictures of him where he is identified as "Brad Pitt". That's the name he used before he moved to Hollywood.

I wish I could download these pictures to prove it to you, but Datalounge will not let me post them to this page. You can get a subscription to a "yearbooks" site. I have "e-yearbook.com", you'll see Brad did use "Brad" to identify himself in those years.

by Anonymousreply 225June 21, 2022 1:54 AM

R224, He used to not annoy anyone until Angelina. He has some rabid haters these days.

by Anonymousreply 226June 21, 2022 2:12 AM

Maybe rabid, but it's a small group and certainly doesn't include those in Hollywood that make deals happen.

by Anonymousreply 227June 21, 2022 2:34 AM

instead of paying too much attention to his credits, look at the list of directors he chose to work with from 1995 on.

DiCaprio is known to say that he's not some cinematic genius, he just only works with the A++ list of directors.

by Anonymousreply 228June 21, 2022 2:38 AM

R226, twitter don’t like him that much. I’m not sure if its the same bots as Johnnys but they have some type of agenda with accusations and smear campaign that seems to go on 24/7..

by Anonymousreply 229June 21, 2022 2:43 AM

Madonna had the quickest rise to success. It happened the fastest for her.

by Anonymousreply 230June 21, 2022 2:45 AM

And a quick fall.

by Anonymousreply 231June 21, 2022 3:34 AM

On which planet, R231? Each of her first three albums were bigger than the next. She reached her peak with Vogue, eight years after her first hit. She remained relevant for the next 16 years. Her descent has been slow and painful ever since. "Quick" is not the word I would use for her fall.

by Anonymousreply 232June 21, 2022 4:08 AM

How cute, another Madonna stan. I'm talking about how quick she is ruining her legacy. A couple years, versus decades on top? She is an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 233June 21, 2022 4:48 AM

Oh. From her bad plastic surgery starting in the early 2010s that went beyond basic maintenance to her botched Madame X tour to her random and weird social media pandemic posts to her IG filters to her even worse recent plastic surgery, I would argue her fall has been a gradual descent into madness.

by Anonymousreply 234June 21, 2022 5:09 AM

This is not a Madonna thread. Let's return to our regularly-scheduled programming - Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 235June 21, 2022 5:12 AM

Thanks. No one cares about Madonna. Sadly, Madonna herself.

by Anonymousreply 236June 21, 2022 5:18 AM

Anyone know what Brad Pitt's views on homosexuality are?

Just wondering...

by Anonymousreply 237June 21, 2022 9:08 AM

I believe Brad fancies himself an ally. He has spoke out in support of gay marriage many times and years ago.

by Anonymousreply 238June 21, 2022 10:38 AM

Let's not let Madonna hijack another thread

by Anonymousreply 239June 21, 2022 3:33 PM

R237 he's gay and only dated lesbians. His kids are all gay.

by Anonymousreply 240June 22, 2022 5:46 AM

Yikes @ this cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241June 22, 2022 2:47 PM

60 year olds start to lose their looks, or just lose their looks. I don't get why people expect stars not to age. Is it because you always see younger photos/film of them? Or because in your minds they're always young?

by Anonymousreply 242June 22, 2022 2:59 PM

That is one hideous picture, r241. He really should stop dieting.

by Anonymousreply 243June 22, 2022 3:19 PM

R241, it’s a reference to Hamlet- Ophelia painting

by Anonymousreply 244June 22, 2022 3:23 PM

R242, it’s because in motion and even in recent pictures he’s still looked good. These are hopefully just really unflattering snaps.

by Anonymousreply 245June 22, 2022 4:32 PM

Many people look horrible by 35 especially women.

by Anonymousreply 246June 22, 2022 8:23 PM

R218 Pitt should have played Howard Hughes, he looks like Hughes, there - way more than Leonardo.

by Anonymousreply 247June 22, 2022 11:01 PM

People think celebrities look awful when they have plastic surgery, then they say celebrity look awful because they age. Which way do they want it?

by Anonymousreply 248June 23, 2022 12:21 AM

...err "celebrities"

by Anonymousreply 249June 23, 2022 12:22 AM

How come the blue check marks on twitter have recently remind their followers of his abuse allegations when they haven’t in 2019 during OUATIH era?

by Anonymousreply 250June 23, 2022 12:56 AM

r250 I think that interview Jolie gave for the Guardian was the first time that stuff gained real traction on social media and that was when the blue check marks started chiming in.

by Anonymousreply 251June 23, 2022 12:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!