Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Infamous missing persons case "The Springfield Three" is 30 years old today

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (KY3) - Tuesday marks 30 years since 3 Springfield women vanished.

You don’t have to say who ‘The Springfield Three’ is to know their names. Fliers and billboards were plastered all over the Ozarks for years.

Now three decades later, police tell us they are still actively investigating the case.

“It’s 1992, Springfield, Missouri, in the basically the heart of the bible belt,” said former Springfield Police Detective and current Bolivar Police Chief Mark Webb.

On June 7, 1992, 18-year-old Stacy McCall, her friend, 19-year-old Suzi Streeter, and Streeter’s mother, 47-year-old Sherill Levitt, were reported missing.

“It was a totally different world back then. It wasn’t all the phone tracking and the towers and all stuff we do now,” said Webb.

He was one of the first detectives assigned to the case.

He says it seemed as though the two teens made it to Levitt’s house on Delmar Street in the early morning hours of June 7 after attending a party to celebrate their high school graduation.

“I saw her graduate Saturday night, and now she’s gone,” said Janice McCall in 1992.

Inside the house, nothing seemed to be out of place. No personal items were missing. The women’s keys and purses were accounted for. Their cars were parked in the driveway.

The three women seemed to have vanished without a trace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2022 2:23 AM

Crime Traveler: The case of Springfield Three continues to haunt the city 30 years later

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2022 1:00 AM

This one makes me crazy and I feel like it will never be solved.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2022 1:08 AM

OP got my hopes up for a second!

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2022 1:09 AM

Out of all the many missing persons cases, this is my #1. It is so bizarre, creepy and downright strange. Three adult women abducted at the same time is almost unheard of, and then there's the fact there was zero evidence left behind. It's mind-boggling. WTF happened, and how did it happen?

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2022 1:19 AM

It doesn't seem so far fetched to me. Someone points a gun at my mom, I'm going wherever they tell me to.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2022 1:28 AM

R4 The problem regarding evidence is that several people went into the house before calling police, a vulgar phone message was erased off the answering machine by mistake, and the girl's friend and her boyfriend swept up a broken porch light globe and threw out the broken pieces onto the lawn of dentist's office next door.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2022 4:46 PM

I had never even heard of the Springfield Three until I read this thread. I was just a kid when it happened. In one of the videos I watched on the case, the expert seems to think Robert Cox alone is responsible.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2022 4:48 PM

I saw something about dogs hitting on an area. They found bones which investigators said were too old to be the three missing women. They didn’t say whether or not they were human. It was in an area when cement workers worked and the truck seen in the area was the same as one of the workers. Could the bones have been theirs, just really badly decomposed?

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2022 1:56 AM

Robert Cox seemed like someone who wanted attention. He didn’t come off as credible, just a blowhard looking for status in jail.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2022 1:58 AM

There are people who think it was drug related connected to the mother.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2022 1:58 AM

This case and the Jodi Husentruit one are insane.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2022 1:59 AM

I actually lived about a block away from their house. For a college town,that place was a ghost town after 9. I hear its vastly different now. I personally think it was some crazed college dude with a gun.Maybe a spurned ex. Those houses are pretty close together,had they screamed someone would have heard. it was a nice town overall,but i was glad when my husbands assignment was over and we left.

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2022 2:08 AM

It wouldn't be all that different from the Yosemite Three/Cary Steyner case.

by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2022 2:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!