Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's the third of June, bitches

Another sleepy, dusty Delta day.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 12:15 AM

Pass the biscuits please

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2022 6:16 PM

Her voice reminds me of my southern family. I like how people talked back then. There's something distinctive about their articulation. They don't miss mash words or have vocal fry.

It's hard to describe but there's something also in their focus. I see it in movies of the past. Maybe it's a timing thing but they allow words to settle, mean something. It's like people are in a race to conclude nowadays. Hard to explain.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2022 6:24 PM

Listening to the song I wonder if he confessed her love and she rejected him. They had been hanging out together on the bridge.

Supposedly it's not supposed to matter what was thrown off the bridge. The family's cold indifference was the point but being poor folk, that's probably how they maintained resilience. Shut it out.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2022 6:34 PM

She aged like money. Lady made a mint and bowed out.

She was beautiful. That song is Southern Gothic at its finest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2022 6:40 PM

Bobbie turns 80 in July!

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2022 6:43 PM

Great ballad- one of the best of its kind.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2022 6:50 PM

They threw their aborted or premature child off the bridge- the family is blind to the daughter’s grief and she will say nothing. The ballad captures the pain of love and life going by along with the mundane perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2022 6:59 PM

Then when they did the movie they changed up the plot and said Billy Joe was one of them there ho-mo-secktuals!

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2022 8:20 PM

"Pass the biscuits please."

And speaking of, I always did enjoy eating Billy Joe out - that boy had one fine biscuit!

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2022 9:59 PM

Billie Joe is still singing "16 Going on 17".

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2022 10:39 PM

SUCH a good song. I listened to the whole album off youtube and it's great! Thanks, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2022 11:52 PM

Better link for the full album (I hope):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2022 11:53 PM

Bobbie is great - I love most of her stuff though as with many LPs from that era there's a filler song or two.

But she wrote some great music.....and lucky her, she's been living off those proceeds! She wrote a big chunk of her first few albums - I'm sure the money she made from "Ode" and "Fancy" made her, as Fancy herself become, an independently wealthy woman.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2022 4:02 AM

In the Crystal Room!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2022 4:08 AM

In Love With The Night Mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2022 4:12 AM

I wish the video quality was better but this is terrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2022 5:41 AM

I love her music, but I have such a respect for her that she knew when it was time to get off the stage.

She became famous near the age of 30, and had varying degrees of success for about 15 years. Whether it was changing tastes or a changing record business, she realized her time was coming to an end and she wanted to retire, to leave on her own terms and at her own time.

And she was smart enough to live within her means, invest, etc. in a way she never had to work another day in her life. She seemed to have a good business head and/or good advisors and never lost money to bad advice/handlers or a greedy ex.

For that alone, I give the bitch a standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2022 7:42 PM

How did she parlay her money into so much wealth?

Being a singer back then wasn't that lucrative, was it?

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2022 3:30 AM

She wrote a lot of her songs, R18, including "Billie Joe." Her songs have been played and sold for decades now.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2022 4:36 AM

It’s that day, again.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 11:26 AM

[quote]There was a virus going 'round; papa caught it, and he died last spring

Fucking hick was probably too dumb to get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2023 11:41 AM

Bernice and Bobbie are forever linked in my mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2023 12:06 PM

Yum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2023 12:16 PM

Loved the beautiful jew Robby playing that southern boy MacAllister. I was a pre-gay kid but I knew what the story was about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2023 12:34 PM

Such a brilliant recording of a fine song. It's still a unique piece - done as a country art song and unlike anything else released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2023 12:34 PM

It’s the orchestration that makes the song memorable

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2023 2:30 PM

r26 I think the same applies to the titular finale song in Patsy Cline's biopic "Sweet Dreams."

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2023 3:10 PM

Need to call the Ace Insurance Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2023 3:37 PM

R4 Wow, she is gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2023 3:48 PM

I’ve listened to the song twice so far today.

Before I go to bed tonight, I’ll watch the movie

Maybe I’ll pretend I’m at the Carroll County picture show

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2023 4:03 PM

What Billy Jo threw of the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2023 4:37 PM

I love that song but...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2023 4:42 PM

This was supposedly her in 2014, and she looked good then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2023 9:46 PM

She's worth $100 million net.

No wonder she is taking life easy.

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2023 11:04 PM

She was married for a hot minute to Jim Stafford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 12:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!