Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Gen X Became the Trumpiest Generation

It’s a drowsy rainy Thursday at the Iowa State Capitol, and Iowa State Representative Cherielynn Westrich is speaking to a school group about how a bill becomes a law. The state Legislature is out of session, and only a handful of members are lazing about the chamber catching up on correspondence. Westrich, a petite cheery blonde, is just finishing up explaining how a lawmaker can summon a legislative page to their desk if they have a specific request to add to a bill. Her audience is a group of about two dozen middle school-aged kids seated on the floor in the back corner of the room.

Just then, another legislator, Steve Holt, interrupts with a smirk. It’s a school group from his district but he had left Westrich babysitting them for a few minutes. “You all know a fun fact about Rep. Westrich?” he asks. “She was in a famous rock band when she was young; you can find the videos on YouTube.”

Westrich then tries to explain her past to the school group of children too young to remember Kanye West at the VMAs, let alone the mid-90s alternative rock scene. “Well so, you guys know who Madonna is? Madonna signed my band to her record label, and we toured all around the world and got to play all the big coliseums like Madison Square Garden, and then we had videos — you guys know about MTV? — we had two of them, and you can still find them online from a long time ago back in the 1900s.”

The children laugh politely, and then it is time for them to go back to their school bus. Both their tour of the Iowa State Capitol and brief excursion into ‘90s nostalgia were over.

But, for Westrich, neither was. The first term Iowa Republican was a Zelig-like figure in ‘90s pop culture. She worked for Flea, played with Spike Jonze in her first band and turned down the opportunity to appear on “Jackass.” But she’s perhaps best known for playing keyboard with the Rentals, a ‘90s band that scored a single hit with the song “Friends of P.” while touring the world with performers like Blur and Alanis Morissette.

Now, 20 years later, after getting inspired to enter politics by former President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, Westrich is a solidly conservative state representative from blue-collar southeast Iowa who is pro-gun and anti-vaccine mandate. It may be an unusual trajectory for someone who played moog synthesizer in a popular alternative rock band, but, given the politics of people in her generation, it actually might not be unusual at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 25, 2022 12:43 AM

Shameful. I am GenX and I know many of my peers and classmates who were leftist when we were coming of age are now Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2022 4:04 AM

A major number of the big Gen X icons are still left wing or left leaning. Many of them weren't even politically active to begin with, just disaffected and apolitical, vaguely pro-feminism and gay rights. Riot grrls and their like were a minority.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2022 4:08 AM

Also, this article is misleading. Gen X consists of everyone from roughly 1965-1980, yet the polls mentioned the piece only take data from those born from the mid to late 60s, cutting out an entire decade. Typical Politico bait.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2022 4:11 AM

Pretty sure Boomers are the Trumpiest.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2022 4:12 AM

[quote] Gen X consists of everyone from roughly 1965-1980

I actually agree with Strauss and Howe that 1961-81 is actually the best definition of Gen ax’s date range. I was born in 63 and have none of the characteristics of boomers and all of the characteristics of Gen X.

When we were teenagers, Reaganism came into power, and as typified by the Michael J Fox character on Family Ties, it was no longer shameful to be conservative. In fact liberals like me were treated with scorn, and I wasn’t in the Midwest, but in NYC. I think many of us have been conservative all along.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2022 4:20 AM

Gen X were brought up during the Reagan era where the media pushed the notion that being a conservative was popular and fun. The Boomer cynicism that says it doesn't matter who's president had pervaded the culture by then, as did the Yuppie backlash that portrayed any leftover hippies or leftists as annoying criminals. Gen X made a habit of not caring about anything, and that included politics, so anything they learned about politics was something they accidentally picked up from The Simpsons or 90210.

It's no wonder that now that they are older and scared, they are flocking to someone like Trump. He was a funny popular character when they were kids. He was on their wrestling shows when they were in college. And who cares, it doesn't matter who's president anyway, right?

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2022 4:35 AM

I might get shit on for this opinion but in my experience millennials are the most rational living generation right now. Gen X votes Trump and Gen Z spends too much damn time on the internet, they have social awareness without being obnoxious

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2022 4:39 AM

^And don't get me started on the psychotic sefishness of the boomers

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2022 4:39 AM

I was born in '78 so on the cusp on Gen X and Millennial. I came of age in the 90s during Bill Clinton. Everybody in my cohort were decidedly liberal and Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2022 5:26 AM

Who keeps burying DL in all this right-wing crap?

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2022 5:44 AM

I don't know what happened to us, we were raised with critical thinking skills but it seems like some forgot how to use them. I somehow blame MLMs, far too many people I know are into these.

I do remember growing up during the Reagan years and having no idea how awful he was until I got to college.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2022 5:52 AM

Each generation is split. That's the way the two parties stay passing the baton back and forth. Ask same stupid polling questions in a few years and get entirely different answers. Ask a few years ago and get entirely different answers.

Ask poll questions with different wording or in different order and get different answers.

The biggest unknown is how many did not vote and why. A slightly different set of people come out to vote for each election, so you can't even assume anything much by who voted and for what candidates. Next time, a different set of voters will be going to cast votes and you'll claim "why is x generation so ______."

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2022 5:59 AM

Same r9. Those of us Xers born in the 70s tend to be more liberal. The 60s Xers are a lot like the Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2022 6:21 AM

Boomers are the most shamelessly deplorable, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2022 6:30 AM

By far, yes.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2022 7:12 AM

Gen-X here, (born in '65). I'm much more centrist now, but in my 20's, I considered myself liberal.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2022 7:13 AM

Born in '79 here. I consider myself a centrist now, too.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2022 8:26 AM

Being too conservative or too liberal is never good; you need a balance of both.

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2022 8:34 AM

Nonsense. Conservatives are wrong about just about everything.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2022 9:10 AM

Born in '76 and find myself getting more and more liberal as I get older.

The GOP corruption is just so flagrant that I get more and more disgusted with them with each passing year.

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2022 9:53 AM

The US isn’t going to get more liberal as younger voters take over, If anything the country is getting more reactionary. The liberal voices control the elite institutions so people are always shocked by how many deplorables there are. If anything, black and Hispanic voters are moving right no matter their age.

Waiting for some generation to take over and make things better is a mistake. The only solution is getting your voters out.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2022 10:23 AM

R21 well said.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2022 10:49 AM

Duh, people naturally become more conservative as they age, pay taxes and gain wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2022 10:56 AM

Conservatism isn't wisdom. It's anti-contimplative and reactionary.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2022 11:11 AM

Politico is right wing boosterism garbage. Stop posting their stupid shit here.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2022 1:10 PM

I'm a white Gen Xer and am very surprised and disappointed in finding out how many of my peers have actually been racist this whole time.

A seriously surprising number of them are racist and have always been. I guess discussions or topics that would've revealed their racism never really came up back "in the day."

And, to me, that seems to be the base-line of Trumptards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2022 1:56 PM

I have a theory about this that I haven't really heard elsewhere: Millennials were the first to fully adopt social media and the blogosphere, and in doing so we made public proclamations about identity practically a social necessity. Suddenly everyone had to claim some kind of social identifier (french press coffee drinker, craft brewer, sci-fi nerd, vegan, world traveler, yogi , non-binary, etc). It was easy to to pick an identifier if you're a teen or in your 20s, but I suspect the over 30s felt left out and decided they needed to proclaim an identity for themselves. In that case, if you're GenX, but not a Marc Maron Gen X liberal or former rrriotgirl, what are you? I believe a lot of them (many of whom were likely ambivalent about politics before) were attracted to this new weird angry era of conservatism/libertarianism identity for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2022 1:59 PM

Trump = nihilism. Gen X was always kinda nihilistic. Screw it, it doesn’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2022 2:04 PM

I’m a liberal GenXer. I think those born in the 60’s are more likely to be conservative like their parents.

This article is clickbait.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2022 2:33 PM

Every group now seems to have their reasons for moving far right these days. I’m going to be one of the last holdouts because I just don’t want to live under authoritarian rule.

Just about all the GenX I associate with are liberals, but they’re a self-selected group. I think back on my high school peers I have nothing to do with and I’m not surprised. They were horrible people then and grew into being the shitty wingers of today.

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2022 2:44 PM

I'm GenX and a moderate democrat. Given how our generation was raised, I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that some GenXers went Trumpy. We were the slacker generation, not a political generation. It's kind of why MTV did the whole Rock the Vote thing, because we were so apolitical. And I don't think people should be all that surprised that some in a generation that had to do it all themselves or were just overlooked, doesn't give a fuck about some of the nonsense that has invaded modern liberal/progressive politics.

Trump was a moron and an idiot and probably the worst thing to ever happen to politics, but to some people they just liked his bull in a china shop approach to governing.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2022 2:56 PM

Boomers were political because of Vietnam and then Watergate. If Gen X had had those things, we would've been political too.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2022 3:47 PM

My mother is in her 50s, so Gen X. She has become very right wing over the last 7 years, making insane statements on immigration and race that she never would have made before.

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2022 4:43 PM

Nobody cares about anything but age on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2022 5:02 PM

I'm not saying the conclusion can't be true, but it's a horrendously thin article whose genesis seems to be that the author thought it was cool that a rocker, mechanic chick became an Iowa Republican state legislator. But it's good fodder for a broader discussion about Gen X and our politics.

As a Gen Xer born in 1972, I never ascribed much of a political identity to Gen X as everyone I knew was all over the map, including apolitical as the article notes. I generally think of Gen X as a cultural (MTV, alt rock, rap!) and social (latch key kids) identity.

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2022 5:39 PM

People end up adopting their parents' conservatism (and racism) even if they rebelled in their younger years. Not all, but most.

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2022 5:42 PM

W R O N G !!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2022 5:46 PM

All I know is that Gen X became psychotic helicopter parents. The worst. I've seen it first hand as a coach. Granted their kids generally don't care; it's a two-way street.

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2022 5:47 PM

She reminds me of Mo Tucker, former Velvet Underground drummer who was outed as a Tea Party member. Probably a deplorable now.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2022 5:50 PM

"When we were teenagers, Reaganism came into power, and as typified by the Michael J Fox character on Family Ties, it was no longer shameful to be conservative. In fact liberals like me were treated with scorn, and I wasn’t in the Midwest, but in NYC. I think many of us have been conservative all along."

But what does Gen X conservativism entail specifically? The article notes "economic issues" and for many people their economic views trump all others.

by Anonymousreply 40May 28, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote]The article notes "economic issues" and for many people their economic views trump all others.

Maybe it's because we are the first generation not to do better than our parents. And of course I know that's not across the board, but speaking in general terms. Job security, job growth, the opportunity for advancement, GenX is still waiting for Boomers to get out of the way while Millenials are leapfrogging over us. Just the general quality of life is different for GenXers compared to the generation before us. You can sort of understand where the economic anxiety comes from.

by Anonymousreply 41May 28, 2022 6:06 PM

I wonder if a lot of the "unexpected" Trumpers have bonded from just being selfish. He made that something to be proud of with the whole "fuck your neighbor, every man for himself" attitude. Many people gravitated toward that, without even thinking it was a party thing?

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2022 6:09 PM

Hmmm interestingly younger boomers ( born in the 60s) are also generally more conservative than older boomers (born in the 2nd half of the 1940s)

I guess people born in the late 1950s and after didn't get to experience the "hippies are cool" era.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2022 6:14 PM

I was born in 72 so squarely within Gen X. Economically and environmentally I'm far left - tax the hell out of the rich and corporations, regulate the hell out of businesses, phase out carbon, decentralize the economy etc. I've always voted Democrat and I'm terrified by the toxic racial politics, theocratic agenda and drift toward authoritarianism that characterizes the current GOP.

Despite all that, I do increasingly find myself feeling alienated from the young left -- the pronoun policing and reemergence of identity politics, the with-us-or-against politics of #metoo, the need to judge centuries of cultural history through a contemporary moral standard -- and the way those values seem to have quickly pervaded elite media, academia and cultural institutions. Maybe pushing 50 has just made me cranky. It's not going to make me vote Republican but it probably adds to my overall disaffection.

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2022 6:21 PM

Gen X have always been the cuntiest generation, in the shadow of the boomers and to old to be as relevant as millennials.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2022 6:30 PM

Given inflation, gas prices and all that I can see why people do it, but if you vote Republican out of economic anxiety you’re delusional because they aren’t going to do for you but find ways to vacuum your money up to the billionaire class.

It’s easy for me to tune out minor distractions and complaints about trans or silly word games because I know the stakes are too high now to be bothered about those inanities when the GOP has become a hard right fascist organization intent on destroying democracy and imposing their bizarre fundamentalist religious beliefs on everything. Big picture.

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2022 6:34 PM

Just like Baby Boomers were the most Reagan generation, inventing yuppies and exploding the whole love-generation image. It's about aging into selfish ignoramuses—but that's not inevitable. I'm Gen X and neither I nor any of my friends or relatives sees Trump for anything but a gross con artist.

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2022 6:38 PM

[quote]All I know is that Gen X became psychotic helicopter parents. The worst.

Many of us Gen Xers had Boomer parents who were Reagan 80s yuppies who were totally self-absorbed and more into their careers and social status than their children. It affected us deeply. Then you have to factor in the child abduction hysteria that started with Adam Walsh in '81 and then story after story of other kids who were abducted and murdered. That also had a psychological effect. The helicopter parenting of Gen X is directly caused by issues from our own childhoods.

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2022 6:53 PM

r44 born '76 here and I agree with you 100%

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2022 6:54 PM

Latchkey kids want a strong daddy figure

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2022 6:56 PM

[quote]GOP has become a hard right fascist organization

Maybe, but they still know how to talk to people. And they've figured out a way to mask their true agenda, so that people don't think they're being talked down to or feel lesser than. I think a lot of people vote republican because they think some people are lazy and are getting free things they don't deserve -- whether it's true or not. Republicans have made their messaging all about telling people that they are the ones who are going to stop democrats from taking from you and giving to others who don't deserve it and it's a powerful message.

Speaking generally, people don't care about #metoo, they don't care about police brutality, they don't care about statues, they don't care about gender issues and pronouns. On the flip side most people are indifferent to abortion, gun rights, and all the republican wedge issues, until it affects them. What people care about is money - their money; and they are going to vote for the party/politicians who make them believe they will help them keep more of their money.

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2022 7:02 PM

If that's the case, R51, they're very special idiots if they vote for Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2022 7:05 PM

So, if people become more conservative as they age that means the same will happen to Millennials, Gen Y and Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2022 7:08 PM

^It won't.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2022 7:43 PM

Born in '66, I was always a bleeding heart leftist when it came to social issues. I knew Reagan was awful while he was in office, while growing up in S. Fl where the Cubans adored the man. I think my sentiments now align with R44, but I am constantly reminded how the thoughts of the young left today are nothing terribly new. They're feeling and talking about things that every generation before them has felt and thought about. Except not everyone of us twenty years ago had the means to discuss and double down on those feelings on such a broad, massive scale.

[quote] If anything the country is getting more reactionary.

This is really what it comes down to. I felt this even in the 90s. Politics always seemed cyclical, the Dems on top until the Repugs snaked their way back in, then people reacted to their shitty policies and put the Dems back in office. The wheel just goes round and round. I feel like there's an appropriate time for social awareness, and while I want people to be treated fairly everywhere, that shouldn't be the hot issue during the time of crisis that we've been in. People screaming about their own particular brand of rights are only fucking themselves over by targeting people who are trying to be allies but also have much more important things to focus on. If they continue to alienate the people standing squarely on the fence, then they are not going to do any better under the GOP in power. A lot of young people insisting on their pronouns don't seem to understand just what's at stake.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2022 7:51 PM

R54, they will. Just like every generation before.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2022 8:01 PM

[quote]Every group now seems to have their reasons for moving far right these days. I’m going to be one of the last holdouts because I just don’t want to live under authoritarian rule.

LOL. Oh my sides. You DO live under authoritarian rule. More than any other group if you call yourself a "liberal". You can't say and do what you want. Far from it. If you don't toe the line you will be "canceled" for having a dissenting opinion.

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2022 8:16 PM

Aw R54. You sweet summer child.

by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2022 8:17 PM

I'm LMAO at R27 who thinks Gen X is "jealous" of millennials for having lame social media identifiers like "yogi" and "non-binary".

Oh honey, thanks for the belly laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2022 8:22 PM

[quote]I was born in '78 so on the cusp on Gen X and Millennial.

No you weren’t.

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2022 8:44 PM

Gen Z is already more conservative than Millennials. With all the illegals coming into the country, social conservatism is only going to become more pronounced.

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2022 8:47 PM

Nah, I don’t feel I’m living under some left wing Biden authoritarian agenda or that I’m being kept from being my true self because I want to say something about trans or BLM or some other issue that goes against approved liberal narrative. That’s just an annoyance. Again, big picture.

The number of undocumented immigrants has gone down by approximately 3.5% from 2010 to 2019. It’s probably even down further since COVID, so I don’t know why Gen Zers are getting their panties in a bunch over it. It’s better to come here under legal means of course and but there will always be some illegals (just like there will always be abortions whether legal or not). Unless Gen Z wants the chicken processing plant, janitorial and other jobs illegals typically do they really shouldn’t worry about it since it isn’t really hurting anyone at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2022 10:45 PM

R54 not true because a good percentage will become conservative. I am an older millennial and I have become more increasing conservative in my views of society . When I was in my twenties I was much more progressive but as I have gotten older I have become socially conservative. The same thing happened to my younger siblings. Centrist ideology will become more appealing as the younger generation gets older.

by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2022 11:52 PM

I am Gen X, age 54. Went to Berkeley and served in the Peace Corps. Then went on to get a MD and worked with the incarcerated.

I know oodles of Gen Xers like me. We voted for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 64May 29, 2022 1:10 AM

Pretty much all of the heavy metal headbangers I went to school with in the 80s are now die hard republicans, except for one of my jr/sr high school crush and out of all of them he was the hottest, so it might have something to do with being ugly.

I am Gen X, 52 years old. There are more of us non-republican Gen in my age group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 29, 2022 1:16 AM

Too funny r65! Yes, the heavy metal headbangers who loved Metallica and Ozzy back in the day are now Republicans. That's also been my experience.

by Anonymousreply 66May 29, 2022 1:24 AM

"Becoming more conservative" is isn't the same thing as voting Republican. Some do both, some don't.

by Anonymousreply 67May 29, 2022 5:06 AM

Way back in the 70s conservative Republicans like my grandparents were disapproving of long hair on men, so it seemed to me as a kid that those people would be liberal hippies since they were the opposite of the look favored by my grandparents’ generation. Wearing one’s tresses long heavy metal style in the 80s would seem similar, but the opposite turned out to be true as the culture drifted to the right.

by Anonymousreply 68May 29, 2022 3:54 PM

Nobody in my circle is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 69May 29, 2022 7:38 PM

That's what you think, R69.

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2022 2:02 AM

How disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2022 10:27 AM

They were always a bunch of rotten cunts.

It's disingenuous that anybody thinks this is shocking.

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2022 10:41 AM

To conclude that Gen X is Republican requires a little creativity. This article does by focusing on white voters born in the sixties. Others focus on famous Republican Xers, as if they represent the whole generation. You can also define Gen X very generously, including people born before 1965.

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2022 10:59 AM

R73 those are just cold hard fact

by Anonymousreply 74June 7, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote] Shameful.

R1, I suggest you consult with your parish priest or, perhaps, a psychologist who may be able to suggest a cure for your shameful self-disgust.

by Anonymousreply 75June 7, 2022 10:44 PM

What a crock of shit. This is really disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 76June 7, 2022 10:47 PM

I can't believe the bullshit and other nonsense being spewed in this thread.

Our political leanings are mostly dependent on where we grew up and our parents beliefs. My parents are now elderly, they have always been liberal Democrats. I grew up on the East Coast in one of the largest liberal areas of NYC.

People aren't born racist, xenophobic and hateful, they learn this behavior, it's mostly dependent on our upbringing.

My disgusting racist relatives, the ones who left Brooklyn during the 1960s and 1970s, to move to Long Island and New Jersey, are the most depraved and sickest ReThugs I've ever come across. Drumpf gave these deplorables permission to become more vocal about their true feelings. His entire platform was hate, these types adore him.

Of course, if anyone in the family confronts these bastards about why they left Brooklyn, which was clearly due to the influx of Black Americans moving to NY from down South and the influx of Puerto Ricans, these awful Trumpers, will deny that as the real reason, they'll give some excuse as "wanting to live in the suburbs, we wanted a backyard and a pool." and other such nonsense.

These types will always deny they are racists and xenophobes. They are the types to blame others for their awful lot in life. It's much easier to do that than get a degree, go to a trade school or have a marketable skill. They also own guns. "We shoot for fun." Thankfully, I have no interaction with these weirdoes.

by Anonymousreply 77June 8, 2022 1:06 AM

R51 every single issue you just rolled your eyes at has popular support, especially abortion rights. Why don't you do some cursorary research instead of talking out of your gaping ass? I hate it when people make grand pronouncements of behalf of the entire country and then get it wrong. YOU don't care about these things, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 78June 8, 2022 1:28 AM

Ok r77 but Devil's Advocate here - nobody wants to live around blacks and Puerto Ricans. Sorry that's just how it is.

And looking at the black neighborhoods in Brooklyn I'd say your relatives made a wise decision.

by Anonymousreply 79June 8, 2022 1:45 AM

[quote] People aren't born racist, xenophobic and hateful, they learn this behavior

You have to be taught!

by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2022 2:01 AM

Dear Lt. Joseph Cable, USMC @ R80, I found your song to be rather laboured and unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2022 2:51 AM

Don't confuse Trumpism with conservatism.

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2022 3:05 AM

America First really means: Me First.

It’s all about selfishness. They love Tramp because he’s the skunk they really want to be.

by Anonymousreply 83June 8, 2022 3:27 AM

The next step will be the inflow of Mexicans into the republican party

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2022 3:27 AM

[quote] America First really means: Me First

So what do you put first?

People who don't pay taxes (to support all your unemployed friends on welfare)?

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2022 3:42 AM

I'm like you, r44. Born in 72, have found myself moving progressively left as I get older, but can't stand millennial Bernie Bro types like Krystal Ball who act like Obama was the worst thing that ever happened to the White House and spend far more time attacking him than Trump and other Republicans. Obama was a great president who did the best he could given the unprecedented resistance he was met with.

by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2022 4:58 AM

[quote] progressively left

What doss that mean? Are you more 'progressively left' than this woman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2022 5:20 AM

The idiots who think selfishness is a virtue should all live in the same hellhole.

I’m sick of these asshats.

by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2022 3:39 PM

Your entire premise is bullshit.

People of ALL generations lean more right as they age because of the extreme left wing cuntification of the younger generations which enrages older people, always. It's particularly exacerbated in our time by the (leftist and younger gen supported) mentally ill trans and the pronoun wokes which attempt to defy science and the very existence of reality and objective facts.

Gen X is aging (I'm 48). Obviously, I'm not fucking going along with this fucking insanity. That doesn't make me a Trump supporter, nor have I EVER been. I have a troll doll of the orange turd on my desk whose face I push pins into when I'm stressed at work (the latter of which you fucking lazy woke assholes would know nothing about).

So fuck you OP, and fuck everyone else who makes this assumption.

And do not forget what Gen X GAVE you through THEIR ingenuity and hard work, including the fucking phone you're unable to live without.

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2022 4:19 PM

The worst is the punk rock kids who got their asses regularly harassed and in some cases kicked, by the police now sporting thin blue line tee-shirts and FB posts. Last year they were all circle jerking about how if you're doing nothing wrong, the police will be respectful and George Floyd was a monster, etc. I just reminded them of the time we were minding our own business at Waffle House and 3 squad cars squealed in and just started beating the shit out of of some of the guys and threw the rest of us to the curb, checked licenses, frisked us etc. Our only crime was looking like little punks. They all immediately defriended me. And one, in I can only imagine being drunk as shit and dumb, sent me screenshots of it and said, "Oh my God I have always hated this bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2022 4:46 PM

R7, Thanks. But there should really be a distinction between older millenials and the 90s. I think those of us born in the 80s share more similarties with Gen X. This 24/7 connectivity of our culture was not a thing when I was a kid. I wonder how the average age of parents affects a generation. This is just an assumption, but I suspect millenials born in the 90s parents tend to be older.

I also think generations do not become as liberal as we might imagine. They tend to become more liberal but not as drastic as predicted.

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2022 5:12 PM

Democrats are spineless and Republicans are dysfunctional. I will say the republican is the greatest pop star of all time. They are able to constantly re-invent themselves. Think about it, they were wrong and lost every social issue for the past 100 years, yet as time progresses they are still seen as the norm. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2022 5:21 PM

[quote]I actually agree with Strauss and Howe that 1961-81 is actually the best definition of Gen ax’s date range. I was born in 63 and have none of the characteristics of boomers and all of the characteristics of Gen X.

This is a stupid statement. Someone born in 1965 has little in common with someone born in 1980. Anyone born on the ass end of a generation has little in common with those born early on. Using your logic generations should be in 5 year increments so that it measures characteristics that people have in common.

You're a Boomer. And if you're trying to make yourself seem younger then you're Generation Jones.

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2022 6:42 PM

Gen Xers who were born in the late 70s are very much in line with Gen X and not Millennials, even though they're closer in age to Millennials. I'm a late 70s baby and myself and everyone I've ever known in my age range recoil at being thought of as Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 94June 8, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote]Ok [R77] but Devil's Advocate here - nobody wants to live around blacks and Puerto Ricans. Sorry that's just how it is. And looking at the black neighborhoods in Brooklyn I'd say your relatives made a wise decision.

Oh please, troll, go back to Stormfront, 4Chan or wherever you fucking racist xenophobic pieces of shit congregate, stay in your fucking red states too.

Many of those Black people who moved to Brooklyn from down South had revitalized the brownstone areas of Brooklyn. Those Black residents bought low when the racist white people sold their brownstones.

The Black families who bought those brownstones stood their ground when the crack epidemic permeated those areas. Then, the elderly Black residents who bought the brownstones were then smart enough to sell those brownstones to stupid but wealthy white flyover assholes who are now living in Bed-Sty and Bushwick and causing those rents to become sky-high. The original Black residents made millions on those sales. Get a fucking clue!

You sound like a typical empty-headed Wasp flyover who knows zero about certain NYC neighborhoods.

You also forgot to add, or possibly will not admit this, those disgusting white racists (mostly of Italian & Irish descent), who fled Brooklyn and Queens, then moved to Long Guyland, Staten Island and New Joisey, don’t want to be around ANY person who is brown, Black or in-between. They despise anyone who is not white and especially hate well-educated brown and Black foreigners.

Besides despising Black Americans, Mexican and Puerto Rican people, those awful racists and xenophobes are also jealous of well-educated South Asian, Chinese and Japanese people. Those idiots hate the fact that these people have great educations and are earning much more than they are.

Those illiterate Long Guyland racists cannot fathom that a lot of these new immigrants come from wealthy families, especially the South Asians.

by Anonymousreply 95June 8, 2022 7:39 PM

Sorry r95 but the truth hurts. Even the biggest white liberals aren't living in black neighborhoods or sending their kids to black schools so you can shove it.

by Anonymousreply 96June 8, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]You sound like a typical empty-headed Wasp flyover who knows zero about certain NYC neighborhoods.

CT and the UES are flyover? ok.

by Anonymousreply 97June 8, 2022 7:42 PM

One asshole relative living in an elderly condo community was in a tizzy because "There was a Mexican on the condo property! Everyone was scared!” Mexican are some of the hardest workers now living in NYC. I remind this POS relative, "Could the man possibly be worker installing someone's kitchen or flooring? Are you serious? How about food delivery person?"

I was like, “WTF? First off, how do you know if a person is Mexican, there are no Hispanic people living in your condo community?” What was I thinking even asking such a question! These racists make sure there are no ‘dark people’ in a community where they are buying property.

The irony is, before these types fled Bklyn and Queens, most of them grew up in working class & poor white ghettos. They all seem to forget their humble origins. One relative doesn’t even tell their children they grew up in a roached infested railroad flat in Bushwick.

These people are illiterate close-minded hateful racists.

It's also obvious their racism and xenophobia and general HATE are eating them up inside. A few of these asshole racists in my family have already died of cancer and heart disease. It's clear these types of human excrement spend way too much time being angry about other people.

They are so typical of of today's fascist ReThugs. they care way too much about others personal lives and bedroom activities.

by Anonymousreply 98June 8, 2022 7:45 PM

R93, it could also be cultural. To me there are more similarities between mid 60s to early 80s people. I'm late 80 but I feel more connected just in world view to early 80s people, then those born in early 90s even though our childhood were similar.

by Anonymousreply 99June 8, 2022 7:48 PM

R95, you are exactly on the money. My aunt in East New York did that as well as my grandparents and dad in Washington DC, just as you have explained it.

by Anonymousreply 100June 8, 2022 7:50 PM

r95 you can rail against Italians and Irish but that's not prejudiced?

And NYC is always changing. So what if people sell their homes and move away? BFD.

by Anonymousreply 101June 8, 2022 7:52 PM

r94 how embarrassing to be like 50 and still worry about being seen as cool

by Anonymousreply 102June 8, 2022 7:53 PM

r102 it has nothing to do with "being cool." I can assure you I've never cared about being cool in my life. It's just that younger Gen Xers are often lumped in with Millennials when we have little in common, we are firmly Gen X in our sensibilites.

by Anonymousreply 103June 8, 2022 7:55 PM

r102 your reading comprehension is shit. Nothing in that post referenced being thought of as "cool."

by Anonymousreply 104June 8, 2022 7:56 PM

That Boebert cunt is a Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 105June 8, 2022 8:00 PM

R103 Don't worry you'll be lumped in with Baby Boomers very soon and it's a distinction you have earned.

by Anonymousreply 106June 8, 2022 8:01 PM

I feel like Gen X democrats are similar to the walking wounded. In shock that any American, at this point especially, still supports such an obvious danger to democracy. We have no explanation for any American who supports the mockery and downfall of their own country and abuse and neglect of American citizens. The mass extermination of our children by gun violence, homelessness, medical neglect, elder abuse, death sentences for women because of reproduction choices. I'm still stunned.

by Anonymousreply 107June 8, 2022 8:18 PM

r106 Gen X isn't so bad. Better than Boomers. Not as annoying as Millennials. Gen Z are apparently retarded.

by Anonymousreply 108June 8, 2022 8:56 PM

The issue is that Gen X never saw or experienced the conservative control over everything that was the basis for the liberal movement between the end of WWII and the rise of Reagan. They got literally all of the benefits of what our parents and grandparents fought for, did none of the work and suffered none of the hardships. They grew up after Watergate and have no idea of what it was like having a criminal in the White House... until Trump came along and convinced poor people he was one of them (mostly because it was men like Trump who were the politically powerful prior to Watergate, and who saw their power decline as their generation suffered the consequences). I get it. It's hard to see all of the corruption and greed around the world and at home and not become cynical, selfish and petulant.

Gen X grew up in a time when it became safe to be different, abortion was available, the social safety net was robust, they could be in a punk rock or grunge band, and closer to home, be gay. They have never had to look over their shoulder and worry that the guy coming up on them was going to assault or kill them for being different, at least not like it was in the era prior to their arrival. Now they're in the position to be the oppressors, and there's no one telling them to sit down and shut up like their parents did to their conservative peers. And instead of standing up for these core American values, they're living in blissful ignorance of how life in America is going to be under conservative-cum-fascist rule.

by Anonymousreply 109June 8, 2022 9:16 PM

Don’t forget those born in and around 1963 have been dubbed as the “Lost Generation”.

I fall into this group. We are definitely not boomers.

by Anonymousreply 110June 8, 2022 9:18 PM

r109 lots of Gen X aren't Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 111June 8, 2022 9:24 PM

I hardly think Gen Xers are Repukes. They are the slacker generation and probably don’t vote in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 112June 8, 2022 9:29 PM

[R95] you can rail against Italians and Irish but that's not prejudiced?

You’re kidding, right? Once again, you have NO clue about the majority of people who left certain Brooklyn enclaves.

I certainly can mention Italians and Irish because that's my own background you fucking piece of shit. I'm describing the racists and xenophobes in my own extended family, I know exactly who those phony illiterates are. These are people I no longer have any interactions with because they are so damn disgusting and downright hateful. These trashy morons conveniently forget their own humble beginnings.

The trolls here are so fucking predictable.

by Anonymousreply 113June 8, 2022 11:27 PM

[quote]CT and the UES are flyover? ok.

Again, you sound completely clueless, flyovers are moving to many different neighborhoods in East Coast states. The majority of people in gentrifying areas are flyovers, trust funders, trust fund hipsters especially those who call themselves "creatives" and even wealthy ex-pats.

by Anonymousreply 114June 8, 2022 11:35 PM

r114 I've been a NYer for more than two decades. CT native and half my childhood was spent in the city. Of course, my people didn't associate with outer borough trash like you.

by Anonymousreply 115June 8, 2022 11:44 PM

[quote]Again, you sound completely clueless, flyovers are moving to many different neighborhoods in East Coast states. The majority of people in gentrifying areas are flyovers, trust funders, trust fund hipsters especially those who call themselves "creatives" and even wealthy ex-pats.

NYC has always attracted these people. It's nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 116June 8, 2022 11:45 PM

The specific group of white American racists and xenophobes described in other posts in this thread act as if they belong in certain neighborhoods while others do not. Their white privilege is off the charts. It's especially interesting when those neighborhoods were always integrated, they then come barreling in and think they literally own these areas.

However, a lot goes over their heads. A lot of these people are so damn ignorant, they don’t seem to comprehend wealthy white people call them “white trash" and ‘hillbillies".

These MAGAts also don’t seem to comprehend, Drumpf hates them. He'd never allow them at any of this resorts. He uses his base, especially the uneducated trailer park dwellers, he especially loves their donations.

Go away you fucking troll.

by Anonymousreply 117June 8, 2022 11:46 PM

Trump isn't president anymore r117. DLers constantly bring him up but he's yesterday's news.

by Anonymousreply 118June 8, 2022 11:47 PM

[quote][R114] I've been a NYer for more than two decades. CT native and half my childhood was spent in the city. Of course, my people didn't associate with outer borough trash like you.

"My people"? Don't make me laugh. People like you don't even realize that they are considered trash too. Certain areas of CT are totally low-rent. You think posters here don't know that?

You have no idea where I grew up. People can have "outer borough" relatives, that sure doesn't mean they grew up in in Brooklyn or Queens or Long Guyland. I grew up in Manhattan, in Soho, when actual artists lived there. Both my parents work in creative fields.

by Anonymousreply 119June 8, 2022 11:52 PM

Take an Ambien r119. God, you're tedious.

by Anonymousreply 120June 8, 2022 11:53 PM

[quote]Trump isn't president anymore [R117]. DLers constantly bring him up but he's yesterday's news.

Damn you trolls are relentless. [bold]Trump still has a massive hold on the ReThugs, they are still his party. He's completely destroyed them. [/bold]

All those idiots like MTG etc got voted in due to his influence. He is not "yesterday's news".

by Anonymousreply 121June 8, 2022 11:54 PM

[quote]Take an Ambien [R119]. God, you're tedious.

Shouldn't you be at some glory hole sucking off some anonymous cock?

by Anonymousreply 122June 8, 2022 11:55 PM

[quote]it could also be cultural. To me there are more similarities between mid 60s to early 80s people. I'm late 80 but I feel more connected just in world view to early 80s people, then those born in early 90s even though our childhood were similar.

[quote]Gen Xers who were born in the late 70s are very much in line with Gen X and not Millennials,

If you late stage Xers are "very much in line with Gen X and not Millennials," then you're Republican bigots because early Xers, as this article notes, tend to lean conservative and Republican.

by Anonymousreply 123June 9, 2022 12:00 AM

r123 you're an ignorant moron who has no real life experience.

by Anonymousreply 124June 9, 2022 12:06 AM

There is either one relentless MAGA troll here or a few MAGA trolls.

I'm too lazy top block them.

It's obvious, since Drumpf allowed these roaches to celebrate their racism, hatred of gays & women and xenophobia, these vile assholes have permeated DL like explosive diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 125June 9, 2022 12:27 AM

And r124 is 80 who looks 30...🙄

by Anonymousreply 126June 9, 2022 12:32 AM

r125 they just aren't knee-jerk assholes like you and are not black and white thinkers.

by Anonymousreply 127June 9, 2022 12:32 AM

I am a 19070s Gen X and don't know any right wingers who are my peers, but I'm not in the USA, so maybe that has something to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 128June 9, 2022 3:48 AM

I’m a GenXer and don’t know any Trumpers my own age.

by Anonymousreply 129June 9, 2022 3:53 AM

R129 lies.

by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2022 11:31 PM

Roe v Wade bump

by Anonymousreply 131June 24, 2022 11:51 PM

Some Gen X are the last children born to Silent Generation parents while all the others had boomer parents.

by Anonymousreply 132June 25, 2022 12:32 AM

What about the 3 Gen X justices who just overturned Roe v Wade R132? Were their parents boomers or silents?

by Anonymousreply 133June 25, 2022 12:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!