Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Revisiting LOST

I’m about to start a rewatch after not watching it since it ended 12 years ago. I loved the show and thought the ending was total shit.

What do you think? Is LOST a classic, one of the best of all time, or a promising show that turned into a total train wreck? Worth a rewatch or no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 24, 2022 12:23 AM

I never watched it but at times thought about binging it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2022 3:21 AM

I was a big fan and watched it when it first aired. I was even ok with the controversial finale, and thought I'd watch the show again someday. For some reason it seems to have lost its allure and doesn't seem to be remembered much. But maybe it is time to rediscover it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2022 3:25 AM

My grades for each season:

1 = A

2 = B (although Michelle Rodriguez is an F)

3 = A

4 = B+

5 = B-

6 = F minus minus minus

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2022 3:26 AM

R3 good idea. I’ll let you know mine after I rewatch. I remember the first was the best and the last was excruciatingly bad though.

I liked Ana-Lucia 😅 I know everybody hates her though.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2022 3:30 AM

I really think if the show would’ve ended with the season 3 finale, it would’ve been a great show. The writer’s strike that happened around that time killed the show for me. The show never got back on track after season 3. It seems like they completely changed where they were going. I hated the last season so much I vowed to never watch again.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2022 3:38 AM

The ending was so stupid because it had nothing to do with the show. Any show could have ended with them all in heaven. The last episode of 90210 could be them all meeting up in heaven. The last episode of Golden Girls could be them all meeting up in heaven eating cheesecake. It was not a resolution to the show.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2022 3:40 AM

I was obsessed with that show and the last season was a slap in the face. It went from being my favorite show ever to now I can't even watch the reruns.

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2022 3:44 AM

R6 right, and they super gaslit us by saying “oh we never said we would answer things.” Um, no. They did. Constantly. Kept saying they had a plan and to trust them.

I actually didn’t need answers, but they themselves created that expectation.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2022 3:44 AM

I was in lust with Sawyer.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2022 3:46 AM

I still didn't understand the Smoke Monster and the Numbers.

The man in black bullshit was terrible. The frozen donkey wheel was stupid.

And what they did to John Locke was awful.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2022 3:48 AM

Without answers, the show doesn’t make any sense at all. Was it a time travel show? A magic show? I remember Ben moving the island by a steering wheel so no one would find it. WTF? I remember Jack finding a telescope that could look into his house in America. WTF? What kind of magic telescope is this?

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2022 3:49 AM

What they did to Sun and Jin was awful. She left her daughter to go back to the island so she could tragically drown with her husband. What was the point? I know the writers say it wasn’t awful because they got reunited in heaven. But couldn’t you say that about anything? That’s like saying it wasn’t awful people got shot because the shooting victims could reunite with each other in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2022 3:53 AM

Were they dead all along? Everyone died when the plane crashed?

Was the entire series a dream?

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2022 3:54 AM

No r13. But they all found each other in Heaven after or something. It was really super lame.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2022 4:04 AM

But the first season truly is golden. Does the fact that the ending was so shitty really negate that?

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2022 4:04 AM

No, they weren’t dead. Everything happened and then they all lived out their lives and eventually died, like the characters in Six Feet Under. The last scene is a flash forward into the future where the last person died and they all reunite in heaven.

Seems an unnecessary tacked on ending since why do we care what happens 50 years in the future? We care about what’s happening now and need a resolution for the events now in the present. It’s as if Buffy never gives you a resolution for season 7 and ends with “They all eventually died and went to heaven so nothing really matters.”

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2022 4:04 AM

The thought of rewatching this show gives me a headache.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2022 4:26 AM

Hated Jacob and the Smoke Monster and their Mother.

I did love Jack and Vincent at the end.

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2022 4:29 AM

I also loved the music.

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2022 4:31 AM

JJ "Cohesive endings are for pussies" Abrams then went on to fuck Star Wars in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2022 5:21 AM

They never gave Nikk and Paulo a chance. I wish Paulo had stayed a little longer.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2022 5:35 AM

Got better things to do with my time than rewatch Lost.

Rewatching it would just make me angry with all the intriguing questions the show presented never being explained decently.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2022 8:16 AM

It was an overhyped shitty show, like Heroes was.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2022 8:32 AM

I remember really enjoying the first season. Then watched the second season and all of a sudden realised they were making it up as they went along, that there was no grand plan. So I ducked out of it.

If they all met up in heaven, does that include people like the guy who got blown into the propeller as soon as they crashed? The stewardess (Australia's Kimberly Joseph) who randomly disappeared as the group walked through the jungle. The people I heard about who were buried alive?

I'm glad I didn't keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2022 9:05 AM

I didn’t make it through the first season.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2022 9:13 AM

It was great for the first 2 series, but then it became apparent that the writers had no idea what was going on or where they were heading.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2022 9:23 AM

R24, thank you, thank you, thank you. I watched seasons 1 and 2 as well and began to realize the writers didn't know where to go with the show.

I stopped watching, so glad I did. I'd re-watch the first few episodes, out of curiosity, but other than that? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2022 9:25 AM

It was a three season show that had three seasons too many.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2022 9:28 AM

[quote]I remember really enjoying the first season. Then watched the second season and all of a sudden realised they were making it up as they went along, that there was no grand plan. So I ducked out of it.

Exactly. The first season was thrilling. But very early on in the second season, it became apparent something was...off. Ana-Lucia was such a poorly conceived character, and I realized they had cast the actress and THEN built up a character around her. That never goes well. It felt so different from the first season that when it was over I just didn't return for the third. I'm not surprised the ending was a cluster fuck. The writing was on the wall in the second season.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2022 10:23 AM

I can’t revisit Lost because I’ve never been able to get past the first 2 episodes. Never got the hype for this show.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2022 10:31 AM

R30 That's surprising to me. As bad as it got, the pilot is almost universally loved. One of the most amazing pilots ever made IMO.

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2022 10:50 PM

LOST was a brilliant show that should have ended 2 seasons before it did. The producers cooked up too many mysteries that they couldn't resolve in one singular series. I love the first 3 seasons of Lost, and I wll never forget those memories of experiencing those characters with my friends.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote] Any show could have ended with them all in heaven. The last episode of 90210 could be them all meeting up in heaven. The last episode of Golden Girls could be them all meeting up in heaven eating cheesecake. It was not a resolution to the show.

No, they were all lost until they found each other. That was the point. You have all sorts of things you think are important in life, but what really matters is finding the people or person that makes you whole and no longer lost. It couldn't have been any other show, because no other show is about a bunch of people going through life completely lost.

[quote] Were they dead all along? Everyone died when the plane crashed? Was the entire series a dream?

A thousand times...NO!

[quote] If they all met up in heaven, does that include people like the guy who got blown into the propeller as soon as they crashed?

No, because the random side characters were never the point. The point was the group of people who needed to find a reason for being.

Obviously I loved the show. I re-watched it during covid and for me it completely held up. I think the problem was that most people saw it as an adventure story about a mysterious island when it was a character study with a mysterious island as a background. If you were watching in for the island, you were going to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2022 11:01 PM

Total snooze fest.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2022 11:19 PM

The only real problems for me had to do with Walt and Michael which were mostly caused by one actor being a difficult asshole and the other one going through puberty.

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2022 11:21 PM

I found this YouTube series that documents, in great detail, how they made it up as they went along despite constantly saying they weren't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2022 11:24 PM

I'm sorry, but if you are really bothered by not knowing why the psychic told Claire to get on the flight or why he gave her the money, just don't watch. That's really, really unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2022 11:40 PM

Sawyer was hot (and a good actor), but for me, Charlie was the heart of the show and when they killed him off that was it for me. Didn't watch seasons 4 on, but did check out the 'finale'. Which sucked.

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2022 11:47 PM

Nope, their BS about the ending guaranteed that I didn't want to invest in the show.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2022 11:58 PM

None of the mysteries were explained. It was unforgivable. Sawyer was my tv boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2022 12:03 AM

I was in and out. There were characters I loved: Hurley, Sawyer, Sayid, Jin, Sun, Desmond & Penny, Richard the eyeliner guy, Frank the pilot, Bernard & Rose, Daniel in the Constant. Other characters bored me and I turned off their character-centric episodes: Kate! Ana-Lucia! Mr Eko, Jack, usually and ultimately Locke. I picked it up against went they did the timey-whimey stuff, the flash forwards and sideways. Unfortunately the when it was all coming to a head (Juliet in the caved-in well) and people were predicting the final season stuff, well the theories I read online were so much better than Jacob and Mother and all that crap.

It did have some stunning bits: the introduction of Juliet and Ben and the book club and then they run outside and see the airplane breaking up in the sky; Not Penny’s Boat—I didn’t even like that character but what a send-off; The Constant was the single best episode.

I liked the ending because it was about the characters that I’d grown to love.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2022 12:08 AM

[quote] None of the mysteries were explained. It was unforgivable.

Come on...none?

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2022 1:03 AM

It's one of those films/shows I've seen once and will never watch again. I'm through with it.

by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote] No, they were all lost until they found each other. That was the point. You have all sorts of things you think are important in life, but what really matters is finding the people or person that makes you whole and no longer lost. It couldn't have been any other show, because no other show is about a bunch of people going through life completely lost.

Did the writers ever claim the title Lost meant being lost in life until they found each other? Or are you just making this up because that sounds like BS. It’s not like the characters have this great love for each other. They were just strangers in a dangerous situation. Would you say the people on The Poseidon Adventure all were lost and found each other? 🙄 And the drowned ones can meet up in heaven.

by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2022 4:09 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2022 4:10 AM

JJ Abrams is now making Speed Racer with Matthew Fox. He promises to answer all the mysteries of Speed Racer every week.

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2022 4:13 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2022 4:15 AM

Huh, this is interesting!

Just might ameliorate my bad opinion of Lindelof...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2022 4:25 AM

Hated the whole "We totally had a plan! We gave you the skeletons in the cave early on, didn't we?" response from the writers. And the whole drama of insisting that the island isn't purgatory, because ... shocking twist ... whatever happen after leaving the island was purgatory. *eyeroll*

And ... Christian Shepard, REALLY?

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2022 4:43 AM

Can't believe so many people wasted so many hours of their lives watching that crap, and NOW want to watch it AGAIN?

by Anonymousreply 50May 26, 2022 4:50 AM

I’d much rather watch Girls again.

by Anonymousreply 51May 26, 2022 4:55 AM

I’d rather rewatch Breaking Bad.

by Anonymousreply 52May 26, 2022 5:00 AM

The actress who plays Penny was in the Night Sky with Sissy. That was another show that did not pay off, and I am about ready to give up sci fi mystery shows.

by Anonymousreply 53May 26, 2022 5:08 AM

I've never seen Lost. Would it be worth binging on these days?

by Anonymousreply 54May 26, 2022 5:09 AM

NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 55May 26, 2022 5:09 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 56May 26, 2022 5:12 AM

R54 I would say yes, if you only watch the first season and pretend it was a promising show that got canceled after one season like My So-Called Life.

by Anonymousreply 57May 26, 2022 5:12 AM

I was working in an office when this show aired and the water cooler conversation about Lost was so much better than the Dancing with the Stars or whatever boring singing contest was popular. People were going on about hatches and secret government conspiracies and hieroglyphics and The Others...I loved that a weird sci fi show was getting all this attention.

It was wonderfully entertaining at the time. I don't know that I'd want to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 58May 26, 2022 5:12 AM

Yeah, the funniest thing was how colleagues bonded over obsessing about all the clues in Lost and when the finale aired they were like Trump, "Lost? Never watched that show!".

by Anonymousreply 59May 26, 2022 5:15 AM

Matthew Fox is supposed to be some sort of nudist. Co-workers commented on it often. I was always disappointed that no dick picks have ever surfaced.

by Anonymousreply 60May 26, 2022 5:43 AM

R48, that was interesting. Nowhere, though, does he say what the plan *was* that they couldn't execute because of ABC. I'm not sure it believe they had one or would have been capable of carrying it out.

The YouTube series linked above (thank you) was enlightening in the way it brought together a ton of questions and loose ends about the show and revealed how Lindelof and Cute were BS-ing constantly about how in control of the plot they were and so many "we *meant* to do that" situations.

by Anonymousreply 61May 26, 2022 5:54 AM

S/b "not sure if I believe," not "it."

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2022 5:55 AM

[quote] Did the writers ever claim the title Lost meant being lost in life until they found each other? Or are you just making this up because that sounds like BS.

Yes, this is what Lindelof and Cuse have said.

[quote] It’s not like the characters have this great love for each other.

Really? That's not exactly what the finale is all about? I think you need to listen to Christian's speech to Jack in the finale again.

Look, I'm not trying to convert people to Lost-lovers. I get that people had certain expectations and they were fulfilled. But it's like watching the Waltons and being mad it wasn't a laugh riot. The show wasn't what you thought it was going to be.

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2022 11:05 AM

I wish I’d been reading LOSTpedia while watching (did it even exist back then?) because it explains about the different groups on the island. It was really confusing on the show.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2022 12:39 PM

I just watched the Pilot. It totally holds up. Maybe the best pilot episode of any show ever.

But….

Knowing how much of a clusterfuck this show becomes really does ruin it for me 🙁 As much as I try, I can’t put that aside and fully enjoy the pilot for what it is.

No show has ever jumped the shark as severely as Lost did. Not even like Dynasty with the Moldavian Massacre or Dallas with the dream season. Because with those, you can still go back to the early episodes and appreciate them. With Lost, knowing what comes later really does ruin what came earlier. And it sucks.

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2022 1:51 AM

R61 I can’t believe how detailed it was and how well it refutes the Cuse/Lindelof bs. They really lied about shit that didn’t even matter.

by Anonymousreply 66May 27, 2022 1:54 AM

I’m up to the episode where we get Sawyer’s backstory. This show is so fucking good. Why did they have to wreck it? 😞

by Anonymousreply 67May 27, 2022 8:08 PM

Everyone who says the show "wrecked" it or "ruined" it: how did it do that? By giving supernatural reasons for things instead of science fictional ones? By killing your favorite characters? By being too complicated and obscure?

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2022 10:50 AM

By Matthew Fox never taking his pants off?

I've never seen the show, so just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2022 10:52 AM

I always loved it. It had some missteps but I don’t get the hate the ending got. It didn’t tie everything up and it made you work a little to figure out the answers, which maybe some people didn’t like. I found the finale really emotional and cried my little heart out at the end.

by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2022 10:56 AM

The final episode was very much a spiritual & religious narrative and that triggers a lot of people who abhor anything that slightly smells of religion.

I loved the ending and I don't care what people think.

by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2022 11:08 AM

R71 I think you’re right. I’m a spiritual person by nature, so the finale hit the right buttons for me. I wonder if part of the polarity in the show’s audience came down to predominantly right brain vs left brain people…

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2022 12:25 PM

The pilot has to be one of the best I have seen. You can see why they show took off. I might have been one of the last network TV shows that was a big water cooler discussion shows.

First season was pretty good. I did not care for the second season as much, but they did some retooling and seasons 3 (after the first few episodes) ad 4 were good and five was decent (until the season finale where it set up season 6). Those seasons had arcs that played out well and resolved at the end of the season setting up a good plot of the next season (except the last one).

By the time of the finale, I knew they had messed things up enough that it would wrap things up well, so I was not expecting much. With the lower expectations, I actually did think it had some nice individual moments and did not hate it as much as most people. I do remember hating the 8000 commercials they played during it.

My theory is that the original ending was supposed to be that the island was purgatory, but people were speculating that is what it was online early in the show's run (it might have been one of the first shows that generated a lot of internet discussion and theories). What they then came up with never made a lot of sense and was probably made more complicated the longer the show was on the air. They ended up working the purgatory theme in a more indirect way in the final season.

I think the last season shadows how people remember it, but I really did enjoy it for much of its run, and might have been one of the last shows where I could not wait for the next episode (at least on network TV). It probably should have gone through the season 4 finale and then had a short season 5 to wrap things up.

by Anonymousreply 73May 28, 2022 12:50 PM

I dont get why people think the original idea was they were in Purgatory. What do people see as evidence of that?

To me, the guy being sucked into the turbine pretty clearly indicates they are in reality and there are real consequences for actions.

by Anonymousreply 74May 28, 2022 1:05 PM

For those who finished the series, if you had to do it over again but stop somewhere before the season 6 finale, where would you stop?

I'm wondering whether it was better to have stopped on the season 4 or the season 5 finale.

I'm leaning towards 4.

by Anonymousreply 75May 28, 2022 11:55 PM

Lost was basically a Hallmark show with that stupid "finding religion" bullshit where you stop being lost when you embrace religion, family and community spirit in your heart.

by Anonymousreply 76May 29, 2022 12:19 AM

Sorry, ... where you stop being lost when you let religion, family, and community spirit in your heart.

by Anonymousreply 77May 29, 2022 12:20 AM

[quote]I always loved it. It had some missteps but I don’t get the hate the ending got. It didn’t tie everything up and it made you work a little to figure out the answers, which maybe some people didn’t like.

How did it make you work to figure out the answers? What were the answers?!? Tell us so we don’t have to do the work.

by Anonymousreply 78May 29, 2022 5:24 AM

The brow bitten, whining atheists could stop when Ben makes the Island disappear.

Well, it's gone...so that's it. Bye!

by Anonymousreply 79May 29, 2022 7:16 AM

I loved it. I loved the ending. Some of the final few episodes felt rushed to answer stuff that really didn't need answers (the episode with Allison Janney was terrible).

But I bawled my eyes out. I've never felt that way about a TV show before, or since.

by Anonymousreply 80May 29, 2022 7:53 AM

Me too, R80. I found it one of the most emotional endings to a show ever.

by Anonymousreply 81May 29, 2022 10:30 AM

[quote](the episode with Allison Janney was terrible).

Worst episode of a very bad final season.

Worst episode of the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 82May 29, 2022 10:19 PM

[quote] Worst episode of a very bad final season. Worst episode of the entire series.

The one that gave the answers to the origin of the island and the original inhabitants? The one the "fans" had been demanding?

by Anonymousreply 83May 29, 2022 10:43 PM

R82 this dude absolutely reads that episode to filth about 17 minutes into this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 30, 2022 2:23 AM

I finished watching season 1. I think what strikes me is that it seems like anything is possible and that’s what makes it so damn good. Like you know the raft is not going to lead to them getting off the island, but theoretically it could. The later seasons get weighed down with so much mythology that it seems like there are limits on what can happen, and those limits aren’t shared with the audience or the main character so it’s like fighting against huge forces you can never defeat. Idk if that makes sense, but it’s how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 85May 30, 2022 2:25 AM

I keep thinking about the comments above from people who liked the ending and thought it tied things up in an appropriate way. I've been watching that Velodus YouTube series (though I don't think I can stand much more of his voice and delivery), and every time he talks about all the unanswered questions, it reminds me all over again what a non sequitur the whole last season and especially the finale were.

It's fine if you thought it was a good ending, but it's not really a supportable opinion, to my mind. We had 6 whole seasons about the Dharma Initiative, the Others, time travel, the main characters' complicated back stories, the island's magical properties, an endless parade of new characters and their stories, and so on, but what does any of that ultimately have to do with anything? If the ending was appropriate and answered the questions "that matter" (as Lindelof and Cuse said once they realized they were going to have to wrap things up toot sweet), *what was the island*? Why were the survivors brought there? Why does the island move? What--and why--was the smoke monster?

What was the Dharma Initiative's purpose?

by Anonymousreply 86May 30, 2022 3:49 AM

More concisely, what, for example, did the Dharma Initiative have to do with everyone reuniting in a multi-faith chapel in the afterlife to get closure? What did the ending really have to do with anything that went before?

by Anonymousreply 87May 30, 2022 3:51 AM

I would be left unhappy if the final was just a dry academic answer to what was Darma etc.

That doesn't tug the heart strings.

The finale was about people and the human condition. Not about the origin of a polar bear on an Island etc. as some nerds wanted.

by Anonymousreply 88May 30, 2022 4:01 AM

And what did any of that have to do with the specific plot and setting we'd been watching for 6 years?

by Anonymousreply 89May 30, 2022 4:05 AM

[quote] More concisely, what, for example, did the Dharma Initiative have to do with everyone reuniting in a multi-faith chapel in the afterlife to get closure? What did the ending really have to do with anything that went before?

Exactly, the ending was like from a different show. It would be like if Knives Out ended without revealing who the killer is and instead shows the whole family in heaven reuniting with the grandfather. Everyone gets a happy ending so the murder didn’t even matter since everyone lives in the afterlife. Then what was the point of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 90May 30, 2022 4:07 AM

I see what R88 means.... The logical conclusion is the survivors getting off the island. But that ending was already gone because it already happened and they went back. So there was kinda no satisfying way to end it. The way they ended it sure sucked but I can't really think of a satisfying ending that was still available after the shit that went down in the last three seasons. They wrote themselves into a corner.

by Anonymousreply 91May 30, 2022 4:08 AM

I'm cruising through this. I'm up to where the tail-end survivors join the main group. The reunion of Rose/Bernard and Jin/Sun is so emotional.... Just great TV. So I think the problem is like R88 said, wrapping up certain mysteries would have been super boring, but that was their fault for becoming so plot-based and losing the character-based storytelling from the first few seasons. They did it to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 92May 30, 2022 4:16 AM

It would be like after 11 years of the MCU, Avengers: Endgame ended right before the final battle with Thanos without resolving anything and instead flash forwarded 100 years into the future where all the heroes have died and are in heaven hugging each other. The producers can say “See, we gave you a happy ending. All the Avengers are now eternally happy. Everyone is now reunited with the people who turned to dust.” People would be pissed! And rightfully so. No one would accept that ending. So why are some Losttards accepting this ending for Lost?!

by Anonymousreply 93May 30, 2022 4:17 AM

At the end Lost felt like a stealth religious cult recruitment scam.

"We lure you in with a supernatural syfy mystery and trap you in a Christian Church! Gotcha! No escape now!".

They pull the same shit with Manifest.

by Anonymousreply 94May 30, 2022 5:08 AM

Adding the ending of the Battlestar Galactica reboot to r94.

by Anonymousreply 95May 30, 2022 5:09 AM

R95 that was bad, but IMO it wasn’t nearly as bad as Lost. It was a dumb ending, not an absolute abomination.

by Anonymousreply 96May 30, 2022 6:37 AM

As I wrote, any whiff of religion sends some people into a tailspin.

That's the road they went down. Deal with it.

Who are you to say how it is supposed to end according to your beliefs?

by Anonymousreply 97May 30, 2022 8:08 AM

So was the ending ever resolved in their own timeline? I don’t care about a flash forward 50 years in the future in another dimension, which is basically the equivalent of a dream sequence. Are flash forwards even canon? Lots of shows, like Will and Grace and Roseanne, discarded their flash forwards and said they weren’t what really happened. Will and Grace didn’t not talk for 20 years or even have children, Dan didn’t really die.

by Anonymousreply 98May 30, 2022 8:34 AM

R97, so you would be okay if The Golden Girls ended with all the girls dying and meeting up in heaven for some tea? They’ll sit around the kitchen table content that they’ve found each other in the afterlife, an afterlife of cheesecakes and St. Olaf stories. Dorothy would think she’s in hell. That would be an ending that had nothing to do with the show. But if the writers decided to go down a religious path for the ending of this sitcom, that’s A-OK with you? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 99May 30, 2022 8:43 AM

[quote] What--and why--was the smoke monster?

The Man in Black, who also changed into other forms, including John Locke.

[quote] What was the Dharma Initiative's purpose?

Scientific research.

[quote] So was the ending ever resolved in their own timeline?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Everyone died at various times. They met up in the afterlife. Some of them had died before the series ended; some died after.

[quote] so you would be okay if The Golden Girls ended with all the girls dying and meeting up in heaven for some tea?

If the show was all about how each girl was lost in her own life without meaning and through finding each other they found the meaning to their lives through the course of the show, then yes. Concepts of shows aren't transferable though.

by Anonymousreply 100May 30, 2022 10:41 AM

That Golden Girls ending sounded great R99!

by Anonymousreply 101May 30, 2022 10:56 AM

You’re doing yeoman’s work here, Lost Fan #1. Lost is still top-3 all time shows for me too, I rewatched the whole thing at the beginning of the pandemic and loved it more than ever.

The fundamental rap, that they never answered any of the questions they raised, is 100% wrong and a really unfair legacy for this show. Almost everything was answered in some way or another, you just had to be a sophisticated enough viewer to make some connections yourself. Seemingly too much to ask of the many doofuses on this thread. It’s tough to pull of six seasons of a plotty, twisty TV show with a very large cast and many storylines, but on a pure episode by episode level there are a hell of a lot more successes than failures.

What was the Dharma Initiative’s purpose? It was an Ann Arbor, Michigan based scientific foundation dedicated to the study of unusual/unexplainable phenomena on a large unmarked island in the South Pacific. It was founded by a descendant of Magnus Hanso, a 19th century sea captain whose ship, the Black Rock, crashed on the island and was never recovered.

I wouldn’t disagree that overall, S6 is the weakest - although it includes the Richard Alpert origin story Ab Aeterno, one of the best episodes. That said, I understand why the religious/mystical connotations didn’t work for everyone. But I also think there was something right about a show that put its characters through hell to finish up by portraying a kind of redemption for them.

by Anonymousreply 102May 30, 2022 2:40 PM

I remember mentioning how bad the X-Files finale was. It was touted as "All Secrets Revealed!" or some such. In fact, they didn't answer any of the questions fans still had about the show or tie up any of the many loose plot threads. They just repeated the plot elements and hidden details that the fans had already long figured out. Someone replied "Oh, so it's just like LOST then."

by Anonymousreply 103May 30, 2022 6:02 PM

R103 I see a lot of parallels between the two. Both are two of my favorite series, but for both the creators insisted they knew what they were doing even as it is obvious in retrospect that they were making it up as they went along, making the ongoing mytharc increasingly convoluted and forgetting it wasn't the mytharc that ever made people fall in love with the series in the first place. Both series crushed under problems of their own design.

by Anonymousreply 104May 30, 2022 9:06 PM

Something I appreciated more on this rewatch is Shannon.

I never hated her as much as most people, because I thought the way she reacted was kind of realistic. But I also didn’t care that much when she died.

But on this rewatch, her death episode absolutely broke my heart. We never really had a Shannon flashback episode until then. Boone had a flashback episode that she had a big part in, but she never had her own. And her flashback was really so tragic.

The scene where she was in the rain and she told Sayid he was just gonna leave her really resonated with me, and Maggie Grace was really really great in that scene. It really seemed like the character was turning a corner and getting more layers after basically just spending the whole first season being a whiny spoiled bitch.

And then, boom, she’s dead. It devastated me in a way I wasn’t prepared for.

by Anonymousreply 105June 1, 2022 4:55 AM

I totally forgot about the Rose/Bernard episode at the end of season 2. They are so sweet and adorable together. I love their backstory and their storyline on the island. In the later seasons they make a conscious effort to stay out of the drama that always surrounds the main characters, and it’s just so realistic and cute how under the radar they are. They don’t need all the drama, they’re just content to have each other ❤️

Season 2 in some ways surpasses season 1, but they also start to repeat themselves and some of the flashbacks in particular feel like duds or rehashes.

It really feels like outside of the first 1/3 of the season, Ana Lucia really never has much to do. It ended up being a smaller role than I’d remembered. And Libby barely gets to do anything, which is a shame because I loved her on Guiding Light and I know she could have rocked it here as well with more material. I know Mr. Eko is like a fan favorite character, but…. I really don’t understand why 😬

I was gonna stop after season 2, but I’m going to attempt to keep going. But I remember the next patch of episodes being rough. Grades so far:

Season 1: A

Season 2: A-

by Anonymousreply 106June 4, 2022 1:50 AM

It is interesting to see some of the actors go from fresh faced to sun damaged over the course of the seasons due to the Hawaiian sun and hard partying. Didnt a bunch of different actors get popped for DUIs on Oahu during the show’s run?

by Anonymousreply 107June 4, 2022 2:09 AM

[quote]A popular meta-theory among fans is that an actor who is arrested for DUI will be punished by having his character killed off on the show. This theory was formulated after Libby and Ana Lucia were killed off in the same scene after actresses Cynthia Watros and Michelle Rodriguez were arrested together for driving under the influence. Similarly Eko was killed off after Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje received a moving violation, and Jin was apparently killed in the season four finale after Daniel Dae Kim was arrested for drunk driving. However, it should be pointed out that many characters on the show have been killed off without their actors receiving traffic violations and a number of actors have been arrested for traffic violations without any consequences to their character.

Being a writer on that shitshow must have been quite funny.

by Anonymousreply 108June 4, 2022 2:17 PM

What are you quoting?

by Anonymousreply 109June 5, 2022 12:57 AM

Some wikia shit r109.

by Anonymousreply 110June 5, 2022 7:51 PM

I didn’t make it past the season 3 premiere and I let my Hulu run out.

They shouldn’t have made a whole mythology for The Others. The fact that there were other people on the island was interesting enough. They didn’t need to make them some mysterious organization with a backstory like a group of X-Men villains or something.

They also never kept stuff like this consistent because they were making it up as they went along. To me, the series runs out of steam by the end of season 2 and there’s no need to watch any more.

So, mission to rewatch Lost failed.

by Anonymousreply 111June 22, 2022 2:58 PM

Jack and Kate were my least favorite characters. Snooze inducing.

by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2022 3:09 PM

R112 I never liked Jack either but I really tried to like him on this rewatch. But I just couldn’t.

I like Matthew Fox but the character is just TOO self-righteous.

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2022 3:26 PM

Could not do a rewatch because I realized I didn’t care about any of the characters. How could you care once you know they all end up in heaven 50 years later and nothing they’re doing now matters? Should’ve just skipped right to the heaven part and saved 6 years. Plane crash, everyone in heaven, done.

by Anonymousreply 114June 23, 2022 2:26 AM

It's similar to Game Of Thrones, where the last few episodes undermined the show to the point that it seemed like the whole journey wasn't worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 115June 23, 2022 2:30 AM

Why watch Titanic?

You know it sinks.

by Anonymousreply 116June 23, 2022 6:39 AM

Because you don’t know who survives. If the ending of Titanic was they all died, then yeah, there would be no point to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 117June 23, 2022 6:52 AM

"I wont watch Lost because the finale has religious and spiritual undertones and I despise anything to do with religion and spirituality. All people who have any religious affiliation are deluded IDIOTS and I refuse to watch anything with that sort of shit in it!"

That's the real reason you won't watch it. At least be honest about it.

by Anonymousreply 118June 23, 2022 7:00 AM

Titanic is based on history, so.

by Anonymousreply 119June 23, 2022 7:04 AM

[quote] All people who have any religious affiliation are deluded IDIOTS

True but that has nothing to do with what I watch. I watch Amen, 7th Heaven, Dogma, Supernatural, The Leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 120June 23, 2022 7:06 AM

R120 I just did a 7th Heaven rewatch a few months ago. The early seasons are amazing. The later seasons... have their moments.

by Anonymousreply 121July 3, 2022 5:19 AM

I thought the ending was beautiful and cried. No shit.

by Anonymousreply 122July 3, 2022 5:21 AM

[quote]All people who have any religious affiliation are deluded IDIOTS

The smartest thing you’ve said all thread.

by Anonymousreply 123July 3, 2022 5:22 AM

I cried and cried at the end. I thought it was beautifully done.

by Anonymousreply 124July 3, 2022 9:06 AM

R124 I knew someone must have liked it, and I’m glad I finally found the one person who did.

by Anonymousreply 125December 21, 2022 4:37 PM

I watched the ending three times and cried every time. Each character “remembering” their island time. The music for this show was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 126December 21, 2022 6:19 PM

Dropped Manifest and From because they pull the same "we throw all these mysteries at you, and we know the answers to all of them, keep watching!" bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 127December 21, 2022 6:52 PM

Around the middle of the series, viewers complained about too many repeats so they said we'll divide the season into two parts. One in the fall and the other in the spring. I thought that worked out well.

by Anonymousreply 128December 21, 2022 7:03 PM

On a re-watch, it's actually pretty amazing how much they were able to explain, considering the curves they didn't anticipate (like the actor playing Walt going through puberty).

by Anonymousreply 129December 23, 2022 9:45 PM

Well no one could’ve predicted that!

by Anonymousreply 130December 23, 2022 11:35 PM

I enjoyed the episode with DL fave Bai Ling!

by Anonymousreply 131December 23, 2022 11:43 PM

Lost, like many series I was a fan and hated the end, were too ambitious to start with, making really hard to find a satisfactory end.

Another thing is the lack of artistic integrity, they just want more season to money grab, and for that they need more mysteries and twists to get people hocked up, ending with a maelstrom of stories that make no sense, like Westworld that should've ended on season 2.

JJ. Abrams should stop teasing with satisfactory ends that never happens and go full David Lynch.

by Anonymousreply 132December 24, 2022 12:21 AM

[quote] they just want more season to money grab

If you mean the network, that's true. The writers wanted fewer seasons.

by Anonymousreply 133December 24, 2022 12:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!