Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Reverend Rutledge's window

Rumor has it we may not have much more time here.

Seems like maybe it's time to go play cards at Bert's house. Ada's bringing the pie and Nancy Hughes made some chocolate cake. Alice Horton brought her donuts, too.

On the way home, I'll walk by young Reverend Rutledge's cottage, and look for the light in the window.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237June 5, 2022 10:38 PM

Windows? Where’s the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2022 3:51 AM

Should the P&G soaps have tried to intertwine their worlds more?

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2022 3:52 AM

R2 No. Successful crossovers are rare on TV in general, and especially in soaps. The AW characters who crossed over to ATWT pissed off both AW and ATWT fans.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2022 4:22 AM

Bea Reardon has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2022 4:27 AM

I think the AW/ATWT crossovers would have worked if Jensen and Anna were sticking around. Bringing those characters over only to kill off Vicky, and then Jake, was the dumbest thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2022 4:28 AM

Oh no, Lee Lawson....that's sad.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2022 4:28 AM

R2, I would have settled with them telling great stories with compelling characters played by compelling actors.

I would have made every P&G writer who came on board watch Doug Marland's ATWT 1986-1990.

I hated ATWT's finale; no Martha Byrne back as Lily. No happy ending for Lisa, the vixen who paved the way for all the others.

No Penny. No Ellen. I did think it was nice there Margo (I think) made some references to Bay City and Springfield in the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2022 4:30 AM

[quote]I hated ATWT's finale; no Martha Byrne back as Lily. No happy ending for Lisa, the vixen who paved the way for all the others. No Penny. No Ellen. I did think it was nice there Margo (I think) made some references to Bay City and Springfield in the final episode.

Don't blame me for the mess that was ATWT finale. I only had eight months to prepare to end the show.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2022 6:21 AM

Alice Horton had a lookalike in Oakdale who was Penny Hughes Baker's mother-in-law. There was also a look alike in Monticello who was the mother of Nancy Karr. Then all of a sudden she changed her looks to resemble Kate Martin from Pine Valley.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2022 9:26 AM

Later in her run, they wrote Bea as rather grasping rather than the strong woman she was oirginally. She was a younger version of Mona Kane, Ada Davis, Virginia Dancy and Liz Foster, dealing with a daughter who wanted more than what life had handed her in an often amoral way. I love how she'd tell Nola off but quickly forgive even if she didn't forget. By the time Chelsea came on, she had lost that spirit and was a bit of a ditz. The one episode I've seen of her as Wanda Wolek is quite good and she was a great replacement for Marilyn Chris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2022 9:35 AM

My poor Bea Reardon. Sad. Life is really kicking us in the balls this past year with GL deaths.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2022 9:43 AM

Did Rev. Rutledge see the pendulous one through his window?

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2022 10:40 AM

R12 Lord, You couldn’t miss that anaconda!

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2022 10:50 AM

R12 Unfortunately not. Bert Bauer's leg of lamp hid the view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2022 12:27 PM

Bert’s leg lives on in all of us.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2022 1:09 PM

Meta, you old whore. I'm gonna kick you in the cunt!

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2022 2:11 PM

Bert, you wish you were an old whore. .I've heard how you are gold the young men running around in their Speedos, even those who obviously were not into old fish or any kind of fish.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2022 2:19 PM

Ogled.....

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2022 2:21 PM

I knew there'd be cunt-kicking in this thread!

Just popping in to show you bitches how it's really done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2022 2:27 PM

I walked by Rev. Rutledge's window and he told me to go out behind his house.

By the way, what's a glory hole?

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2022 6:30 PM

[quote] I did think it was nice there Margo (I think) made some references to Bay City and Springfield in the final episode.

We were not only saying goodbye to the residents of Oakdale in that final ATWT episode, we also were saying goodbye to the entire P&G universe. That was the very last time any P&G characters have ever been in a new episode of a show.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2022 7:48 PM

Stop, r21, you are going to make me cry.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2022 7:51 PM

P&G shows truly died the day they stopped calling it THE Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2022 7:55 PM

R21, Stephen Schnetzer played a character called Dr. Cass Winthrop in a couple of episodes of Homeland (Showtime).

Did Cass have an unused medical license we didn't know about? I know I'm reaching. I just like to think of the shows and characters as living on, despite us not being able to watch.

Just another case of a casting director who is a soap fan, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2022 8:00 PM

Stephen and Nancy have been divorced for a long time now. Clean up your nasty old dish rag, Ada or I’ll kick you in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2022 9:11 PM

Aunt Lez, it's been a minute since I've had a good long orgasm.

Kick away, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2022 10:25 PM

After 25 years as matriarch of the Snyder family, Emma was never seen again.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2022 10:35 PM

I was only a baby when it was cancelled but, after watching many episodes on YouTube, I will forever feel that Edge of Night was prematurely end. It had that special niche among the soaps.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2022 10:41 PM

Of any of the P&G soaps, Edge would likely be the easiest to revive. It would have made a great late soap night. Still could.

In fact, several years after its cancellation in Dec. 1984, the USA cable channel ran repeats of Edge of Night at 12 midnight. Those repeats started with late 1980 episodes as I recall.

Those episodes got decent rating, at least for a cable channel in the mid 1980s. In fact, after Search for Tomorrow was cancelled in Dec. 1986, USA started airing Search repeats at 12:30 a.m., after the Edge repeats.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2022 10:58 PM

Days should bring Stephen Schnetzer back as Julie’s devious brother Steve, with a couple of kids in tow.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2022 11:03 PM

r30 Days made mention of Steven Olson's son Spencer several times in the early 1990s, presumably preparing to bring a new young character on. But show apparently changed its mind as Spencer Olson obviously never made it to Salem.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2022 11:06 PM

Oh excuse me...

I forgot how much those Alice's donuts make me fart.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2022 11:20 PM

[quote] Of any of the P&G soaps, Edge would likely be the easiest to revive.

ATWT would be a snap. You have three Hughes boys, Jack and Carly's kids, Lily and Holden's kids, and Andy's daughter as a core. Retire everyone older than them and have some of them have had kids in the interim and mix them in with a kid from Chris and Katie.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2022 11:42 PM

r31

I think he was mentioned fairly recently as well

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2022 11:44 PM

Guiding Light would be easy to revive. Those core families are rock solid and appealing. And there were lots and lots of kids. Plus, the history!

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2022 11:45 PM

[quote] Plus, the history!

Well...if you think GL starts in 1982, then yes. I always cringed at mentions of Lewis and Shaynes as core families, when characters like Hope and Rita were completely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2022 11:53 PM

I 💟 Otalia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2022 12:15 AM

If we have to find a new home, we need to make sure both Aunt Liz and Ada's Dish Rag are there to keep us all in line!

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2022 12:53 AM

[quote] Of any of the P&G soaps, Edge would likely be the easiest to revive. It would have made a great late soap night. Still could.

One hundred percent agree, Liz.

I'm actually surprised no one has tried. It would make a great syndicated soap, or a late night kind of thing. And it needs to keep the fabulous theme music, too.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2022 1:02 AM

Edge of Night (they dropped The in 1983) has been off the air for almost 40 years. No one fucking cares about reviving it. Especially P&G, the owners. It’ll never ever happen. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2022 1:15 AM

Is DL really going away?

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2022 1:17 AM

Where you go, I will follow, my fellow Datalounge Refugees. My dishrag is always at the ready, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 42May 25, 2022 1:19 AM

All of these classic shows should be revived - far worse dreck is gets airtime these days. I am really interested in Days and success they might be having with Beyond Salem as short arch mini-series. I know All My Children and One Life to Live tried going streaming, but I think they tried too hard to follow the more traditional daily show model rather than how people follow streaming series. I think they ran new shows Monday to Thursday. There are a ton of streaming options now and if they brought the shows back and followed the streaming model it might work. All the shows did not have to return at the same time - maybe one a quarter. You don't need a huge cast or extravagant sets - just tell the story.

by Anonymousreply 43May 25, 2022 1:21 AM

I like the idea of four half hour episodes a week, and an omnibus over the weekend or something.

Prospect Park fucked some things up but I also liked the idea of the weekly show talking about the shows. I could see that being an interesting thing, especially if older stars were featured.

by Anonymousreply 44May 25, 2022 1:26 AM

The greatest cunt kicking came about in 1976 in the scene between Liz and Olive where Luz gives Olive the stank eye and goes out of her way to make her feel uncomfortable with her presence. "Go about your work" Irene Dailey says, and this is her at her most Audra Lindley like. If ever she was close to Phoebe Tyler in bitchiness and superiority, this is it. 30 minutes in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 25, 2022 1:29 AM

The greatest cunt kicking came about in 1976 in the scene between Liz and Olive where Luz gives Olive the stank eye and goes out of her way to make her feel uncomfortable with her presence. "Go about your work" Irene Dailey says, and this is her at her most Audra Lindley like. If ever she was close to Phoebe Tyler in bitchiness and superiority, this is it. 30 minutes in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 25, 2022 1:29 AM

The P&G gals had to blow for their cars to start. More DUIs than Emmys. Meanwhile, Helen W. never tired of her usual vinegar cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 47May 25, 2022 1:31 AM

I wish the insipid fan gurl soap press would stop using the IMDb as a reference. They don't realize that the soap credits are very incomplete, listing John Aniston as being in one episode of Love of Life when he was on the show for three years and on the 1st Soap Opera Digest cover. For Lee Lawson's obituary, they indicate that she appeared on 30 episodes of Love Of Life in 1965 when she was on a lot longer. They also say she had a minor role on One Life to Live in 1979. She played Wanda Wolek from 1977 to 1979. A little bit more searching for details would be appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 48May 25, 2022 1:33 AM

Yeah, IMDB is woefully incomplete.

by Anonymousreply 49May 25, 2022 1:36 AM

The IMDb issue is understandable since most soaps were wiped. Denise Alexander said in an interview that her episode counts for AW are much higher than GH and that's obviously because of the SoapNet reruns. Obviously "The Doctors" has more accurate counts only because of the reruns. Too bad there aren't more individual soap history sites. Bad journalism, even for frivolous stories, just bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 50May 25, 2022 2:11 AM

That koo koo weirdo Kookoosadora over at SON constantly quotes Imdb. She’s such a whacko. Serial Scholar hates her. As does Vee, who’s in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 51May 25, 2022 5:45 AM

R51 they’re all psycho, and they’ve been having the same conversations on repeat for about 15 years now. We’d never do that at DL.

by Anonymousreply 52May 25, 2022 5:47 AM

Doesh Imdb pagesh lisht DUIsh?

by Anonymousreply 53May 25, 2022 10:25 AM

*clearing the air*

by Anonymousreply 54May 25, 2022 1:38 PM

Great to see Jennifer Leak as Olive once again as part of those clips r46 posted.

That's a villain that should have come back to town. She could have stalked Alice and/or Pat at some point down the line. However, as we know, show wrote both Alice and Pat out in the early 80s,

With Olive's ex-husband John Randolph presumed dead, her other ex-husband Raymond Gordon off the show and her cohort in crime Willis Frame off the show by the early 80s as well, Olive had no other connections to the canvas. So would have been difficult to bring her back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2022 5:47 PM

Another mention of Lee from ET Online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2022 9:42 PM

This was Lee in an early episode of Maude - about 6-7 years before she played Bea. She was 32 here and not quite 40 when she played Bea.

That wouldn't be the first time only a few years separated on screen parent and child(ren)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2022 9:48 PM

Jake and Vicky being endgame should’ve never happened. He raped her sister.

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2022 10:10 PM

R58, I never believed Vicky would have forgiven Jake for that. Never. At least not Anne Heche's Vicky. She would have been trying to de-ball Jake every time she saw him!

I hated that story. Jake was a lot of things, but I never understood why the writers turned him into a rapist. Jake had come up tough; he'd always found himself in desperate moments and situations. He generally kept a cooler head. He was a schemer.

That said, the Who Shot Jake? storyline was killer. Loved seeing suspects Vicky, Marley, Donna, Iris, and Paulina circling him before and after the shooting, each woman with her own axe to grind.

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2022 10:29 PM

Bea Reardon was truly the salt of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2022 11:09 PM

I wish Jo would pluck her guitar and sing something soothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 25, 2022 11:18 PM

Bea had the homliest daughters on soaps!

by Anonymousreply 62May 26, 2022 12:05 AM

by Anonymousreply 63May 26, 2022 12:51 AM

Perhaps it was the character (Bea) I was reading, but I always thought Lee Lawson seemed gay.

by Anonymousreply 64May 26, 2022 1:12 AM

I always liked Bea better than her doppelganger Emma. She was tougher and smarter than Emma. With Emma you knew exactly where Iva got her mopiness.

by Anonymousreply 65May 26, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote]I always liked Bea better than her doppelganger Emma.

Huh???????????????????????????????????

Bea looked nothing like Emma.

They played similar functions as matriarchs of their respective large family of wannabes, but they looked nothing alike.

by Anonymousreply 66May 26, 2022 1:33 AM

R66 I think that's what R65 meant - that the families and characters were somewhat similar.

Though Iva was about as unlike Nola as one could be.

by Anonymousreply 67May 26, 2022 1:34 AM

Right.

Bea = Emma

Maureen = Iva

Jim = Seth

Tony = Holden

Meg = Nola

by Anonymousreply 68May 26, 2022 1:38 AM

Ooh, being in a Tony/Holden sandwich would be hot.

by Anonymousreply 69May 26, 2022 1:58 AM

And in the category of added later

Chelsea = Jack

by Anonymousreply 70May 26, 2022 1:59 AM

Pam Long never understood that WE wanted to see Homely Reardons and Fat Bauers on OUR TGL, THE Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 71May 26, 2022 2:00 AM

Chelsea = Ellie

Bridget's dad = Caleb

by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2022 2:01 AM

Amanda = Lily

Morgan = Lily

by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2022 2:11 AM

Nola and Iva = Homely

Maureen = Fat

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2022 2:18 AM

And of course

Alexandra = Lucinda

by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2022 2:37 AM

Fat Ed = Fat Nancy

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2022 2:50 AM

Grant’s Pendulous Dong = Rex’s Pendulous Dong

by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2022 2:54 AM

Nein.

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2022 3:16 AM

Grant's Pendulous Dong > anyone else's dong

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2022 3:17 AM

TGL was THE soap if you love all things fat: fat soap names with THE in their name, fat characters like Fat Ed, and fat, long scenes. My life was never the same after soaps got skinny!

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2022 3:44 AM

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2022 3:55 AM

A reminder to block the mentally ill troll that continues to obsess over posters at other boards, show names, and things that may or may not be fat.

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2022 3:57 AM

Turning to Agnes Nixon's writing for a moment ... in chronological (by writing, not airing) order, it's Erica & Mona = Rachel & Ada = Ava & Kate. My pet theory is that Carla & Sadie are the missing piece of the puzzle.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2022 4:01 AM

Fat Katie Parker was sent off to a fat farm. Skinny boy Floyd hooked up with ugly Nola.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2022 10:24 AM

Looking at these old episodes over the down of a few hours, it must've been a really boring life back then to watch these snail's paced shows every day. Every now and then there'll be some comic relief or a dramatic plot to liven things up, but in general, it was just boring episodes of lukewarm conversations, strange background music and eerie/comical looks into space as we go to commercial...

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2022 11:30 AM

You were watching on a much smaller, much less clear screen, while you were feeding babies, folding laundry, etc. The whole experience was different.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2022 11:33 AM

*down=span

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2022 11:33 AM

R86 I know you are right. It was a different time back then. Plus there weren't many channels with options for entertainment, so it's an "ignorance is bliss" situation where you're happy with what you have not knowing what else you could enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2022 12:09 PM

Alice Horton? We don't do NBC here.

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2022 12:31 PM

Fat Bert Bauer was fun to watch. After Pam Long chopped her leg off and Bert got skinny, Bert was put out to pasture by Pam and Gail Kobe. They killed TGL.

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2022 12:43 PM

Honey, I'm the OP of 90 percent of these threads, and have been since they first began.

I said Alice was a welcome guest in the intro and could bring her donuts. That, as they say, is that.

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2022 1:38 PM

We do when NBC stands for Need Big Cock.

by Anonymousreply 92May 26, 2022 2:31 PM

Interesting r83. I always thought Ava and Kate were Loving’s version of Bea and Nola.

by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2022 3:19 PM

That's a thing that I think most shows have been missing - the likable homewrecking, status climbing slut who really drives story.

Carly Tenney was the last one I can remember but based on this board's responses not everyone liked her.

Nola and then Reva did it for GL for years.

by Anonymousreply 94May 26, 2022 3:22 PM

Ray Liotta, whose lengthy career included a stint as Maeve Kinkead's onscreen brother on Another World, has died.

by Anonymousreply 95May 26, 2022 4:16 PM

Oh wow. Sad. He was really wonderful on AW. He had a good career afterward but never really became a big star.

by Anonymousreply 96May 26, 2022 4:24 PM

R94 Rachel Davis was the prototype. I wouldn't say Lisa Miller, that character didn't grow up poor like Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 97May 26, 2022 4:54 PM

R97 I mostly agree.....

Lisa wasn't rich, though. She was squarely middle class but she still wanted more. I think the income/class level isn't as key as wanting to break boundaries and go after what she wants for these characters.

by Anonymousreply 98May 26, 2022 5:27 PM

Has anyone checked in on Vicky Wyndham? It comes in threes. Frist Lee Lawson, then Ray Liotta. Who’s next?

by Anonymousreply 99May 26, 2022 5:47 PM

by Anonymousreply 100May 26, 2022 6:00 PM

It would be nice if Alan did a tribute to Liotta, he could have on Maeve Kincaid (Angie), Judith McConnell (Miranda) and Bradley Bliss (Kit, who goes by the name Diane Bradley these days).

by Anonymousreply 101May 26, 2022 6:25 PM

I think poor Maeve is done with the memorials - she was on Lisa's tribute and poor JvD died days later.

It would also be great if literally anyone else in humanity hosted a show like the Locher Room. Have tried to be patient but Alan is just so terrible and not getting any better.

by Anonymousreply 102May 26, 2022 6:30 PM

Tony Cummings and Kevin Conroy could also be on a Ray Liotta tribute.

by Anonymousreply 103May 26, 2022 6:53 PM

There’s nobody else except Michael Fairman who does these, R102, and he seems to only know LA shows.

by Anonymousreply 104May 26, 2022 6:54 PM

Muscle Mary Fairman only does the LA shows, yes.

by Anonymousreply 105May 26, 2022 7:40 PM

Miss Michael Fairman is so masculine.

by Anonymousreply 106May 26, 2022 9:22 PM

by Anonymousreply 107May 26, 2022 9:23 PM

Alan didn't watch AW and has always shown minimal knowledge of AW whenever its mentioned during an interview. He seems to know ABC soaps better than he does AW.

That said, I doubt he even made the connection between Ray Liotta's death and AW.

And even if he did make that connection, his lack of knowledge of AW and who Joey Perini interacted with would likely leave him unable to come up with a guest list to do a tribute. Maeve Kinkead would be the only person Alan knows who could give him an entree to some other AW actors.

His lack of knowledge of AW also would make it difficult for him to come up with questions to ask.

For some reason, Alan also seems to be ignorant of the existence of the Another World Home Page where he could get some background info on the characters.

by Anonymousreply 108May 26, 2022 10:02 PM

And we know he only does the things he knows, or someone he wants to social climb with/for.

He cannot be bothered otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2022 12:57 AM

That creepy weirdo Vicky Fuckton is obsessed with Alan Locher.

by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2022 1:01 AM

The only Vicky we care about here is Wyndham.

by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2022 2:05 AM

Not to mention Vicky Hudson, Victoria Winters, Victoria Newman and Viki Lord.

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2022 3:48 AM

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 113May 27, 2022 3:49 AM

R36, the last time Rita was mentioned, I think, was when Ed squared off against Alan. 'RIta! is ancient history,' Alan snarked to Ed.

Hope was mentioned in the scene, too, and was many times mostly related to Alan-Michael; WHY Elvera Roussel wasn't brought back after Maureen died was beyond me.

Plop her down in the Bauer kitchen, she helps raise Michelle and reminds us that Alan's not all that bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2022 4:18 AM

Elvera apparently became ill at some point in the early 90s and, to be kind, was perhaps not camera ready at that time.

Lenore Kasdorf was still working, though. I still say she should have been Olivia's mother, with Olivia's paternity in question and Ed dealing with another woman (first Blake, then Olivia) who may or may not be his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2022 4:23 AM

R115, nothing wrong with looking a little matronly if you're stepping into the Bauer matriarch position.

I couldn't believe we didn't see Mattson back as Hope or essentially Gina Capwell when Jill was running the show.

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2022 4:27 AM

Ellen Parker looks like she could play Ada in an AW reboot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2022 3:48 PM

I'd need a dishrag in that photo to be sure, R117

by Anonymousreply 118May 27, 2022 4:48 PM

She doesn’t have that Prison Matron vibe Connie gave off.

Connie always looked like she wanted to have Cecile and Blaine sprayed for lice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 27, 2022 6:33 PM

[quote] she wanted to have Cecile and Blaine sprayed for lice.

Can you blame her?

by Anonymousreply 120May 27, 2022 6:37 PM

Hiya Iris!

by Anonymousreply 121May 27, 2022 6:38 PM

😨😨😨😨

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 27, 2022 7:03 PM

Oh no! Vee, who’s in the biz, is cat fighting with that Kook over at SON’s Another World board. The claws are out. Vee, who’s in the biz, knows everything.

by Anonymousreply 123May 27, 2022 8:17 PM

Trippy that Bev would be gone from the show a few short months later!

by Anonymousreply 124May 27, 2022 8:41 PM

Vee, who is in the biz, runs everybody and everything away from SON.

by Anonymousreply 125May 27, 2022 9:25 PM

Poor Bev was always overworked. She left Texas for the same reason as GL. Too much work. But then soaps were suddenly good enough when she needed a few days work on GH to keep her health insurance. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 126May 27, 2022 9:32 PM

We don't care, Greg/g.

by Anonymousreply 127May 27, 2022 9:40 PM

Whosh ready for happy hoursh?

by Anonymousreply 128May 27, 2022 9:43 PM

by Anonymousreply 129May 27, 2022 10:04 PM

I wish some obsessive old gay Superfan would create the Oakdale or Springfield equivalent of the Another World Home Page

by Anonymousreply 130May 29, 2022 7:09 PM

R123 catfighting about what?

by Anonymousreply 131May 29, 2022 7:17 PM

Unfortunately, our obsessive superfan here is obsessed about seriously fucked up things.

by Anonymousreply 132May 29, 2022 7:19 PM

That Eddie Druedingbat who has the AW homepage is a big ole queen. Nasty guy.

by Anonymousreply 133May 29, 2022 10:47 PM

I never understood why ATWT had a character named Marcy Thompson in the mid-1980s and then another character named Marcy Breen in the early 1990s. Couldn't they have found another first name for the second character?

by Anonymousreply 134May 29, 2022 11:12 PM

Actually, I always found it odd that soap towns only have one person by each name. I remember thinking how odd it was when Y&R had three Johns at one point.

by Anonymousreply 135May 29, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote] catfighting about what?

Please don't encourage the mentally ill troll. Those people all post at Soap Opera Network's board and literally none of us here know anything about that board or its posters. If the loon poster wants to talk about those people he should do so **at that board**.

by Anonymousreply 136May 29, 2022 11:27 PM

All of us here follow SON religiously. Some good snarking happens there and it is loaded with nutjobs. They discuss in depth why they changed The Guiding Light to just Guiding Light when fat Bert was on there.

by Anonymousreply 137May 29, 2022 11:29 PM

Fat Ed Bauer had fat Rita. Rita got so fat but we knew it was because Lenore Kasdorf was pregnant in real life. Then Rita got skinny but Ed was still fat.

by Anonymousreply 138May 29, 2022 11:32 PM

LOL, don't front - you are blocked at SON.

by Anonymousreply 139May 29, 2022 11:34 PM

The “The” in Guiding Light was signified by Bert’s amputated leg.

by Anonymousreply 140May 29, 2022 11:40 PM

From 1985 - When Vanessa was high on drugs and ran down a pregnant Reva with her car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 29, 2022 11:47 PM

Meryl Streep Talks About Her Sister-In-Law Maeve Kinkead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 29, 2022 11:48 PM

AW had John and Mike Randolph, and Michael and John Hudson.

ATWT had Ellen and Emily Stewart, and Ellie and Emma Snyder.

GL had Sara McIntyre and Sarah Shayne….

by Anonymousreply 143May 30, 2022 12:07 AM

R141, that was great. Back when soaps had time and money to put into a set and stunt with Vanessa backing over Reva.

Nothing energizes a soap opera like loved ones racing to the hospital to check on someone.

Nurse Katie Parker (Denice Pense) wasn't on the show much longer but it was nice to see her. She started on the show way back when the Dobsons were writing it (I believe).

by Anonymousreply 144May 30, 2022 4:29 AM

r130, there was something like that for Oakdale in the very early days of the internet. It was called "Emily Stewart's...something." I don't remember what.

by Anonymousreply 145May 30, 2022 4:39 AM

[quote] That's a thing that I think most shows have been missing - the likable homewrecking, status climbing slut who really drives story. Carly Tenney was the last one I can remember but based on this board's responses not everyone liked her.

The only place Carly Tenney drove me was Llanview.

by Anonymousreply 146May 30, 2022 4:44 AM

Vanessa running over Reva was a blatant attempt at character assassination for Maeve K. The writers wanted Vanessa gone. Maeve said she was quitting in 1985, then changed her mind when former Ryan's Hope writer, Mary Munisterrio started as the new writer. An influx of people who had left during Kobe/Long, started to return: Bernau, Simon, Aleksander, etc. I just remember how LOUD the show had gotten during Kobe/Long. I longed for the Dobson or Marland days, and not those dreadful hillbillies like the majority of the Lewises/Shaynes,

by Anonymousreply 147May 30, 2022 8:59 AM

I hated how Vanessa was turned into a pathetically weak woman to service Reva’s storyline. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 148May 30, 2022 1:46 PM

[quote] Ryan's Hope writer, Mary Munisterrio

Mary Ryan Munisteri was her name. She was the inspiration for Mary Ryan on RYAN'S HOPE and wrote for that show and others, including GL.

She just died earlier this year, and NYT has a wonderful piece about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 30, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote] Vanessa running over Reva was a blatant attempt at character assassination for Maeve K.

It was that storyline that won Pam Long her first Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series

by Anonymousreply 150May 30, 2022 2:29 PM

R150 whoever said they got that right?

by Anonymousreply 151May 30, 2022 2:40 PM

when Bill Bell won for reals in 1992, he recounted the story of getting a phone call the next day telling him NATAS had screwed up and he had to give the Emmy back.

He said in 1992: "if my phone rings tomorrow morning, I ain't picking up!"

by Anonymousreply 152May 30, 2022 4:44 PM

NBC: Vicky (Hudson) ABC: Viki (Lord) CBS: Vicki (Newman)

by Anonymousreply 153May 30, 2022 6:34 PM

Wasn't there a woman writer named Labine who was well-known for soaps?

by Anonymousreply 154May 30, 2022 9:40 PM

Claire Labine was a DISASTER at GL.

by Anonymousreply 155May 30, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote] Wasn't there a woman writer named Labine who was well-known for soaps?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 30, 2022 10:03 PM

The show had so many fun moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 30, 2022 11:28 PM

80s Guiding Light was so much better than early 90s Guiding Light. Things got better by the mid/late 90s and into the early 2000s. Then it just got weird with Reva's deranged son getting screen time for fucking then falling for his cousin and then Reva's sister getting with Josh. I tuned out around that time.

by Anonymousreply 158May 30, 2022 11:35 PM

Damn, look at the ass on Ross in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 159May 30, 2022 11:52 PM

To be fair, if there was anyone on GL you'd want to get weird with, it was "Jash."

by Anonymousreply 160May 30, 2022 11:52 PM

Jarsh!

by Anonymousreply 161May 30, 2022 11:54 PM

Kristi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162May 31, 2022 12:27 AM

Poor Kristi. She's seen things a woman ain't s'posed to see.

by Anonymousreply 163May 31, 2022 12:28 AM

Kristi sounds like Park Overall now.

by Anonymousreply 164May 31, 2022 12:33 AM

Johnny Bauer was the cure for insomnia but he got hotter as he got older.

by Anonymousreply 165May 31, 2022 12:53 AM

Kristi said Kim was a bitch her first year in the Locker room podcast. Kim was not amused. She replied that she had to whip her into shape.

by Anonymousreply 166May 31, 2022 1:33 AM

Kim said not terribly flattering things about Kristi before in an interview. I think as with the casting of Tom Pelphrey, she wanted someone else for Roxie.

I was surprised when they appeared together on the Locher room because I remembered Kim saying how undisciplined she was. In whatever interview that was years ago, she found a few ways to say THIS BITCH WAS COKED OUT OF HER FUCKING MIND without actually saying it.

by Anonymousreply 167May 31, 2022 4:12 AM

Bless Kristi’s heart. She’s a total whack job. Roxie was her only good role and she screwed that up.

by Anonymousreply 168May 31, 2022 9:36 AM

I was surprised how fit "Johnny Bauer" was in that video up above. That was some tight tee.

by Anonymousreply 169May 31, 2022 11:05 AM

Johnny Bauer made me moist - down there.

by Anonymousreply 170May 31, 2022 12:16 PM

R167 well after seeing that Locher reunion, I wouldn't say Kim was wrong. Kristi looked either drunk or on something. I also like the character of Roxie and find it strange that she never made a return to Springfield, but, unless they didn't want to recast, I can see how the actress was "undisciplined."

by Anonymousreply 171May 31, 2022 12:24 PM

I think Roxie would have been a perfect character to recast. Why they never did is a mystery to me.

by Anonymousreply 172May 31, 2022 3:18 PM

Chris Bernau is so.....so BUTCH in that video at R114!

by Anonymousreply 173May 31, 2022 3:29 PM

Chris loved looking at Grant’s pendulous dong!

by Anonymousreply 174May 31, 2022 4:14 PM

GRR WOOF

by Anonymousreply 175May 31, 2022 4:46 PM

Charles Siebert the actor died....many knew him from Trapper John but this says he was on several NYC soaps....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176May 31, 2022 8:36 PM

That July 4, 1988 episode was fun. Interesting especially to see Jack and Lanie Bauer as Johnny's parents. They were very short-lived. And Meg Mundy (best remembered as Mona Croft on the Doctors) as Maeve's mother, Julia Stoddard.

This episode was during the middle of the writers strike, so it was written by scabs.

by Anonymousreply 177May 31, 2022 9:49 PM

Jamie Goodwin DOES look damn good in that shirt.

Everyone looks good. Ross and his cute ass. Philip's long hair. Alan-Michael, of course. Hell, even Ed Bauer's looking good there.

Fletcher....eh, never thought he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 178May 31, 2022 10:20 PM

Now both Connors and Davenport are deceased.

by Anonymousreply 179May 31, 2022 10:27 PM

r176 IMDB says that Charles Siebert played the following soap roles

Search for Tomorrow --Dr. Peter Murphy, 1969 to 1971:

AW -- Dr. Stuart Philbin, 1972.

ATWT -- Dr. Wally Matthews, 1972-1974.

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman -- Buzz MacGregor, 1977.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 1, 2022 12:04 AM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 181June 1, 2022 4:20 AM

I'm confused, was there a soap called Mary Hartman or did he play a trans?

by Anonymousreply 182June 1, 2022 8:04 AM

There was a nighttime soap called Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. It was somewhat of a spoof of soaps, as SOAP itself would later be.

by Anonymousreply 183June 1, 2022 3:31 PM

Mary and her Waxy Yellow Buildup.

I wanted Waxy Yellow Buildup to be my drag name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 1, 2022 3:33 PM

Debut episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185June 2, 2022 10:11 PM

I'll have you know, I *never* had waxy yellow buildup.

by Anonymousreply 186June 2, 2022 11:03 PM

Neither did I, but did Mr. Lemay care? No, he was all about those dirty-ass Frames, whose floors had nothing *but* waxy yellow buildup.

by Anonymousreply 187June 3, 2022 1:40 AM

Only until Sharlene returned home in 1988, R187. The first thing she did after moving into that farmhouse was get down on her hands and knees to scour that dingy floor.

by Anonymousreply 188June 3, 2022 2:39 AM

Hell no, honey! No hands and knees here! As soon as my hair came down I danced on that floor....even wiggled my ass all over it!

by Anonymousreply 189June 3, 2022 4:06 AM

Far be it for me to make any snyde comments, darling, but If you really want to talk waxy yellow buildup, a certain farmhouse by a pond has plenty to spare. You can't help but notice all that yellow and wax on the kitchen floor while standing on the eavesdropping porch.

by Anonymousreply 190June 3, 2022 8:10 AM

Leave it to that ole Lucy to gossip behind someone's back! That's what she and Johnny D are good for!

by Anonymousreply 191June 3, 2022 3:40 PM

[quote] Far be it for me to make any snyde comments, darling

I see what you did there, Lucinda. It was sneaky and shady.

I applaud you.

by Anonymousreply 192June 3, 2022 3:41 PM

I would imagine if anyone had waxy yellow buildup on her kitchen floor, it would be Reva Shayne Lewis.

And definitely her sister, Cassie Layne Winslow.

by Anonymousreply 193June 3, 2022 6:08 PM

Oh yes, that low born gutter trash definitely does not keep a clean house!

by Anonymousreply 194June 3, 2022 6:09 PM

That’s Shady Lane Winslow to you!

by Anonymousreply 195June 3, 2022 6:58 PM

The only reason your penthouse is tidy, India, is because of that poor Ecuadorian immigrant you have chained inside your walk-in closet. Even hoity-toity Iris Wheeler wouldn't stoop that low!

by Anonymousreply 196June 3, 2022 7:00 PM

How did they write off Bianca, Lucinda’s adopted daughter from Montega?

by Anonymousreply 197June 3, 2022 7:21 PM

Lucinda sent her to scrub the waxy yellow buildup in her kitchen and she was never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 198June 3, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote] Even hoity-toity Iris Wheeler wouldn't stoop that low!

Vivien! That Hobson woman is here again. Please talk to her. Or the plants.

In any case....make her go away, Vivien, I've got a headache.

by Anonymousreply 199June 3, 2022 8:15 PM

"STEVE FRAME IS DEAD???????"

by Anonymousreply 200June 3, 2022 8:19 PM

Again?

by Anonymousreply 201June 3, 2022 8:20 PM

Forget Steve, poor Frankie

by Anonymousreply 202June 3, 2022 8:26 PM

But what about me? Why isn't anyone asking about me?

by Anonymousreply 203June 3, 2022 8:42 PM

👏 Well, *I* have a question, Cecile.

When are you leaving?

by Anonymousreply 204June 3, 2022 9:53 PM

I understand India Von Halkein was seen in Tanquir dining with the King while Cecile was in Bay City "visiting" with Cass Winthrop.

by Anonymousreply 205June 3, 2022 10:12 PM

I was at Tops with Jamie Frame the other night.

For a man with so many wives, he had some very vivid descriptions of the endowments of Bay City's men......

by Anonymousreply 206June 3, 2022 10:18 PM

Vivien, if you don't fetch your mistress right now, I'll cause a ruckus the likes that have never been seen in this town. I'll tell Iris everything -- EVERYTHING -- you told Alexandra Spaulding's maid, Vera, at last year's conference of MAID (Maids Administering to Imperious Divas).

Betcha didn't know I have friends over in Springfield, didya? Vera told me all about your boss and her icky, drunken crying fits because she's the one who should be with her "Daddy" instead of my Rachel.

So you get her, Vivien. Get her now. Tell Iris to pull on one of those flowy silken robes, march her little fanny in here, and face me like a woman .... a woman in love with her own father!

by Anonymousreply 207June 3, 2022 10:27 PM

Was the Love Tower really an ideal place to cruise for tops?

by Anonymousreply 208June 3, 2022 11:38 PM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 209June 4, 2022 12:15 AM

I like boys

by Anonymousreply 210June 4, 2022 1:01 AM

I like wine.

by Anonymousreply 211June 4, 2022 1:37 AM

Honestly, Vera. Must you let EVERYONE in?

by Anonymousreply 212June 4, 2022 3:59 AM

Oh, PEA-nut!

by Anonymousreply 213June 4, 2022 6:16 AM

I wonder if the gays at Edge of Night hooked up with each other: 2 died of the "cancer"within a couple years of each other (Joel & Dennis) and one died from it less than ten years later and could've been living with it for a few years (Irving).

by Anonymousreply 214June 4, 2022 11:52 AM

Joel Carruthers was hot and heavy with Velekka Gray,

by Anonymousreply 215June 4, 2022 1:16 PM

[quote]MAID (Maids Administering to Imperious Divas)

- Is there a Mid-Atlantic chapter of this organization?

- Are manservants allowed membership opportunities?

- Might I substitute an imperious diva for a cantankerous old coot?

by Anonymousreply 216June 4, 2022 1:36 PM

Manservant? We've seen you in a dress, Nigel.

by Anonymousreply 217June 4, 2022 3:36 PM

River ruins everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 5, 2022 2:30 AM

River?

by Anonymousreply 219June 5, 2022 4:45 AM

Vee, who’s in the biz, is getting annoyed by KookooNutsadora. She grates on everyone and Vee is snapping back. Stay tuned.

by Anonymousreply 220June 5, 2022 10:38 AM

I started watching GL (having been an old die-hard OLTL fan) when flipping the channels Frank Dicopolous' body in a t-shirt caught my eye. Grant Aleksander looked intriguing but he didn't do it for me the way the young Frank did. There was an early Alan-Michael (Carl T. Evans) who was very cute. I did get swept up in some of the stories, but so much of it seemed silly (Reva and the Lewises, the royal family of wherever, the mob, clone Reva). I remember thinking Matt Boner was pretty hot -- oops, Bomer. But I never really got enough of Frank.

by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2022 12:46 PM

Forgive the ABC intrusion, but I'm suddenly fixated on a too good to be true (?) rumor: that Cameron Mathison and Josh Duhamel's friendship ended because one wanted to take part in a threesome and the other didn't.

by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2022 1:13 PM

Duhamel nixed the threesome with Mathison and his gf.

by Anonymousreply 223June 5, 2022 2:23 PM

That's an old rumor.

by Anonymousreply 224June 5, 2022 2:24 PM

[quote] River?

Jarsh and River!

by Anonymousreply 225June 5, 2022 2:35 PM

Was Hilary Edson (Eve Guthrie) some big "get" when she signed with GL in 1992? Her storyline is about to begin and the show is filming her only from behind or from the chest down, allowing viewers to hear her voice but not see her face. Why are they treating her like she's Marlena Evans returning to DAYS after Dee Dee Halls' "Our House" stint?

This bitch was as dry as a bone on Another World and even drier on Guiding Light. Pretty and serviceable, but not an ounce of charisma to be found. Her scenes with Irizarry (another charisma void despite his looks, IMO) were like watching a blank wall.

by Anonymousreply 226June 5, 2022 4:56 PM

[quote] Was Hilary Edson (Eve Guthrie) some big "get" when she signed with GL in 1992?

NO - Hilary Edson, Elizabeth Keifer and Fiona Hutchison were all considered for the part of Eve.

Hilary and Liz Keifer actually auditioned for the part - Keifer would later say she had asked Betty Rea if she could audition for BOTH Eve and the recast Blake part. Keifer wasn't thrilled about the Eve part, but used the opening to get the chance to audition for Blake. Needless to say she got the part

As for Fiona - Jill Farren Phelps set up a meeting with Fiona asking her if she was interested in joining the show. She had her choice between the 3 year contract "Eve" part or the 3 month role of Jenna, the jewel thief. Fiona liked the jewel thief role - and after a few episodes, JFP offered her a contract, as she saw expanded possibilities with the Jenna character,

by Anonymousreply 227June 5, 2022 5:06 PM

Hillary Edson as Stacey Winthrop was horrible on AW. That Beauty and the Beast story they did with Stacey and Derek was garbage. What happened to that actor who played Derek anyway?

by Anonymousreply 228June 5, 2022 5:23 PM

Hilary Edson was okay as a sort of "limp mop" character, a damsel in distress. She was OK on GH. But she was terrible as Eve. Whatever they'd anticipated with her casting, it didn't happen.

I loved the character of Jenna - I wish she hadn't been killed off so soon. Loved Jenna's scenes with Vanessa and, most especially, with Henry.

by Anonymousreply 229June 5, 2022 6:03 PM

[quote] I loved the character of Jenna - I wish she hadn't been killed off so soon.

Well when Fiona voiced support for Michael Zaslow (after Paul Rauch fired him after his ASL diagnosis) - Paul Rauch killed off the character of Jenna. and Fiona found herself unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 230June 5, 2022 6:08 PM

Rauch was such an evil cunt.

by Anonymousreply 231June 5, 2022 6:16 PM

That should a thread -“Which actors hated Paul Rauch?” That list is long.

by Anonymousreply 232June 5, 2022 6:23 PM

[quote] Well when Fiona voiced support for Michael Zaslow (after Paul Rauch fired him after his ASL diagnosis) - Paul Rauch killed off the character of Jenna. and Fiona found herself unemployed.

Fiona did this in the most public way - when Michael Zaslow went to One Life To Live. Fiona went to the OLTL fan luncheon (Zaslow was also present)

and she told the entire audience of One Life To Live fans that the entire cast of Guiding Light was behind Zaslow 100%

Shortly after that speech, Fiona character was killed off by Paul Rauch.

by Anonymousreply 233June 5, 2022 6:27 PM

Which makes me thinks Rauchie had issues w/Fiona from before.

In other words: Fiona told him NO

by Anonymousreply 234June 5, 2022 6:34 PM

I wonder if Michael O’Leary’s story about James Goodwin on The Locher Room is true-that he refused to sing a song Pam Long wrote on air and she retaliated by giving Johnny Bauer a brain tumor.

by Anonymousreply 235June 5, 2022 7:25 PM

I think Goodwin himself said something like that years ago in an SOD interview so that might be true!

by Anonymousreply 236June 5, 2022 7:35 PM

Ada and her dishrag have reported that Muriel stopped by to visit this thread.

So, feel free to move to this new one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237June 5, 2022 10:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!