Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone read Viola Davis' new memoir FINDING ME?

I assume its release was timed to coincide with her new miniseries...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2022 10:35 AM

If Hollywood was racist and not pro black, she would be washing dishes somewhere. On the contrary, she got her roles because of her skin color, as part of Hollywood woke quote, forcing the mediocre blacks who nobody is interested in. She is not the kind of black actor that would have gotten through thanks to her talent, like Samuel L. Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Whoopy Goldberg.

God, the stupidity joint with vanity.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2022 10:26 AM

Meh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2022 10:30 AM

That's basically my assessment too. She's Hollywood's go-to Serious Black Actress. It actually prevents them stopping and finding some other Black actress who may be more suitable for the role, as evidence by her Michelle Obama disaster.

I think she's overrated anyway. She's given performances maybe on par with Streep in Bridges of Madison County or One True Thing, but she would never be capable of anything like Streep in Sophie's Choice, Silkwood, A Cry in the Dark, or The Iron Lady.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2022 10:31 AM

R1 Good god, no she IS someone who got through because of talent, dumbass. Did you ever see how ugly she was before she had money? She had a series of small, startling roles before Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2022 10:33 AM

Her performance in Doubt always felt a little overhyped to me. There was big Miramax push behind it that felt even more astroturfed than usual. She has one her scene and she's good in it, but she's not show-stopping and it's just one scene.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2022 10:39 AM

Moms Mabley had black talent, she was very talented at being black.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2022 10:46 AM

Of course, it's titled FINDING ME. 😂

Me, me, me, me! It's all about me!

Granted, memoirs are supposed to be about oneself, but even Faye Dunaway titled hers LOOKING FOR GATSBY.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2022 10:56 AM

after her lame duck lips portrayl of michelle o? hells no.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2022 11:05 AM

Happily, no.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2022 11:05 AM

You seem obsessed with her, OP. Creepily so

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2022 11:05 AM

Oh, I'm not the person(s) responsible for all the Viola threads lately, but after her Michelle Obama performance and the dissection of her recent statements I'm a little more interested in her. She's camp!

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2022 11:26 AM

Is the book a set of instructions that assists the reader in actually seeing a film that she's /actually/ in?

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2022 11:53 AM

good god, her fat lips mess in that first lady flop is humiliating and crappy.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2022 7:17 AM

I didn’t realize what a nice smile she has, because on The First Lady her lips are so pursed & puckered.

by Anonymousreply 14June 7, 2022 7:45 AM

I think she played the right's caricature of Michele Obama--masculine, angry, graceless. I can't imagine Michele Obama was happy with that performance.

by Anonymousreply 15June 7, 2022 8:56 AM

God what a mess of a thread. Probably two, maybe three people posting the comments. Weird to say that she’s not a good actress — she’s definitely talented and has star power. Is she top 10 or 20? Maybe not but definitely top 30.

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2022 9:09 AM

I thought I read her biography years ago, entitled "Hiding My Candy"

by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2022 9:39 AM

Why read a celebrity memoir when there's a podcast for that - Celebrity Memoir Bookclub. And of course I listened to her memoir.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2022 11:01 AM

Wasn’t that the title of Rosie O’s memoir?

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2022 11:12 AM

I wish headline writers would quit with the '...... Here's what we learnt / Here's what you need to know...' line.

Isn't it already implied that the story would already include such details or insights?

by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2022 11:26 AM

She acted circles around Streep in Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2022 11:26 AM

She kind of looks like Oprah in OP's pic.

by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2022 12:51 PM

i cant respect her anymore after the duck lips performance..

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2022 12:34 PM

r21 oh please.

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2022 12:38 PM

Hi, Viola at R21.

No, you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2022 12:39 PM

All Viola's lip quivering and trembly vibrato in Doubt just reminded me of Linda Gray on Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2022 12:41 PM

Anyone who doesn’t buy the book is by definition racist.

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2022 12:46 PM

Keep looking, Viola.

by Anonymousreply 28June 11, 2022 3:11 PM

She takes herself a bit seriously.

by Anonymousreply 29June 11, 2022 4:47 PM

omg ole ducky lips davis.....i see they have stopped her l'oreal commercials. she is a joke after her flop in first lady.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2022 9:00 AM

Briefly. I found the whole thing quite reductive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2022 9:06 AM

Viola broke out in shingles twice during the run up to her Oscar loss to me for The Help.

Poor Viola.

(bitch describes the discomfort of being put up against me, her friend but she doesn't even mention I ultimately won.)

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2022 11:57 PM

I don't know her

by Anonymousreply 33June 25, 2022 12:03 AM

even her commercials are falling out of rotation......she pissed off michelle !

by Anonymousreply 34June 27, 2022 5:54 PM

I read some of the book. She complains a lot but her career has been pretty easy.

After college went to a summer acting program---got a scholarship.

Applied to one graduate school----got in. (Julliard)

Took a gap year---got cast in a professional play by August Wilson starting that relationship.

Started working in theater and film pretty easily.

Wanted the role in Doubt which 10 other actresses were finalists for (Angela Bassett, Audra, pretty much every black actress you can think of.) Got it. Got a nomination.

The only real setback was losing the Oscar for The Help which she thought she'd get.

Stop complaining Viola.

(oh she did default on her student loans and had trouble renting apartments but she hasn't suffered as much as she whines about.)

by Anonymousreply 35June 28, 2022 3:07 AM

I'm still trying to find a well known movie that she's actually been in.

by Anonymousreply 36June 28, 2022 3:43 AM

Are 36 she was in Doubt and Far from Heaven both of which I liked and The Help which was popular, but I've never seen it

by Anonymousreply 37June 28, 2022 5:24 AM

her career is on hold due to duck lips syndrome...

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2022 9:34 AM

Misogyny AND racism. The gays are at it again.

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2022 9:36 AM

She needs to take it down several notches if she wants me to watch her movies. She's like the female Chris Pratt at this point; the more she opens her mouth, the worse it gets.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2022 10:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!