Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Veteran French actress Andrea Ferreol says wokeism is ruining the French film industry

She says films like La Grand Buffe, Last Tango in Paris and La Maman et la Putain could not be made today which is a shame because she likes the audacious.

I've decided to read her autobio which includes:

Woody Allen went to her home to take photos and consider her for a part in Broadway Danny Rose, but it didn't pan out.

She was friends with Fellini and worked behind the scenes with him, but she regrets not appearing in one of his films.

She worked with Fassbinder and LOVED him.

She dreams of working with Meryl (not you, Glenn).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2022 10:13 PM

Like many great thngs, white america has ruined the word woke. Woke meant a particular socially conscious, usually educated black person. Now woke just means anything apart of cancel culture and that was not the original intent of the word.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 11:19 PM

OP here. The correct spelling is La Grande Bouffe of course. What a bizarre and fabulous film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 11:35 PM

[quote] wokeism is ruining

Wokeism is a social disease.

Lapsed Christians are especially vulnerable to this new disease.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 11:56 PM

Aside from very liberal whites and Black Twitter, no one else wants this.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 11:58 PM

Woke is such a pointless term just like political correctness. It's just used as a grievance usually by an older person against a changing society and demographic change.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 11:59 PM

Not a.French film (and certainly not in the genre at all), but I guess I'd be curious how a film like Airplane! or Blazing Saddles goes with younger audiences these days.

There are certainly cringey comments, but they are often (to me) still hysterical. Last Tango in Paris was, again for myself, a somewhat hard movie to watch, but I didn't think it was "bad". It was a fucked up situation and those happen in real life, so I don't see the issue portraying that on film.

Not everything needs to be sanitized.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 12:08 AM

Yawn, most creative people are "woke"

Hardly any conservatives are great artists or great thinkers

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 12:11 AM

R5 I guess you also claim you're on "the right side of history" .

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 12:11 AM

That word is absolutely meaningless to anyone with any shred of sanity. It's been co-opted by legions of right-wing assholes who feel like they're persecuted because they can't be casual bigots anymore.

This woman is a fucking half wit.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 12:13 AM

[quote] This woman is a fucking half wit.

Have you met this woman— or know anything about her?

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 12:16 AM

She got Omar Sharif, but he was past his prime.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 12:21 AM

Cultural imperialism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 12:26 AM

[quote] Woke is such a pointless term…

Young people adore being Woke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 12:33 AM

I appreciate French film for all the hot young guys who show dick. That puts it a step ahead of American film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 12:34 AM

LMAO, some of you really think woke is some conservative conspiracy? Wake up to what the insane woke people are doing! Here's how to ID a woke person: you: what do you think about Lia Thomas? Woke person: she is an LGBTQ2IA+ icon! She is so inspiring for living her very own truth and I HATE that their are IGNORANT BIGOTS who disagree, we should ban them!

These people exist and in frightening numbers. If you deny or ignore them you are a moron.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 12:57 AM

I adore being Woke.

I want all Frenchwomen to be as womanly as me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 1:14 AM

Some of us live in the real world and not clicking every article on trans or "queer" stuff. "Woke" can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean now. It used to mean "socially conscious and politically active" but not so much now. It can mean pandering to a politicized group, forcing one's views, being too PC, being self-righteous, caring about social justice and representation, being well-meaning but misguided, etc. It's really a shallow term now and people just throw it around which why I can't take it seriously as a compliment or pejorative.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote] I can't take it seriously

If you can't why then should the people of France kowtow to the American's Woke Ideology?

by Anonymousreply 18May 19, 2022 1:25 AM

R1, the woke Left did the same thing with the word "woman".

by Anonymousreply 19May 19, 2022 1:27 AM

R18 No one is forcing France to do anything. France has its own culture, history, values and philosophy. America has no influence on them. Is America sending its army there and saying "be woke or else?" Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 20May 19, 2022 1:28 AM

[quote] Yawn, most creative people are "woke"

No they aren’t. Woke people are conformists.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote] That word is absolutely meaningless to anyone with any shred of sanity. It's been co-opted by legions of right-wing assholes who feel like they're persecuted because they can't be casual bigots anymore.

Spoken like a true Jew-hater.

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2022 1:58 AM

[quote] Woke is such a pointless term just like political correctness. It's just used as a grievance usually by an older person against a changing society and demographic change.

Wrong. You’re a moron who will find out in November.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2022 1:59 AM

I'm curious to learn how Woody Allen was going to include Ferreol in Broadway Danny Rose, my fave Allen film. Perhaps he omitted the character entirely.

by Anonymousreply 24May 19, 2022 2:29 AM

She’s a stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 25May 19, 2022 3:04 AM

“Spoken like a true Jew-hater.”

Hahahahahahaha. That’s right! You tell ‘em, Gladys!

by Anonymousreply 26May 19, 2022 3:04 AM

R25 Are you also R9?

You sound like a True Woke Evangelist who lives to disseminate your Woke Religion from America to the rest of Christendom.

by Anonymousreply 27May 19, 2022 3:07 AM

Oh, yes, the French. The only country in the civilized world where "woke" is, apparently, worse than being a pedophile. The latter can actually get you a literary award. And it's antediluvian twats like this one who tacitly supported pedos while bitching about how sexually degrading women is looked down upon in 2022.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 19, 2022 3:47 AM

R25. Censorship is never a good things in the Arts. And this is precisely Ferreol's point.

by Anonymousreply 29May 19, 2022 8:12 AM

R9, R25 The Woke use abuse to belittle those don't follow their Woke Doctrines.

by Anonymousreply 30May 19, 2022 8:23 AM

"their Woke Doctrines."

Spoken like a true native of the US!

by Anonymousreply 31May 19, 2022 4:06 PM

[quote] a true native of the US!

The US is the most Puritanical on Earth! And the most Woke!

The second is the consequence of the first.

by Anonymousreply 32May 19, 2022 10:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!