Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marnie Schulenburg, ‘As the World Turns’ & ‘One Life to Live’ Soap Star, Dies at 37

Marnie Schulenburg COURTESY INDUSTRY ENTERTAINMENT

Marnie Schulenburg, the soap opera actress who portrayed Alison Stewart on CBS’ As the World Turns and Jo Sullivan on the One Life to Live reboot, has died after a battle with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. She was 37.

Schulenburg died Tuesday in Bloomfield, New Jersey, her rep Kyle Luker at Industry Entertainment told The Hollywood Reporter.

Survivors include her husband, Succession and Sorry for Your Loss actor Zack Robidas — they married in September 2013 — and their daughter, Coda, 2. She was diagnosed five months after Coda’s birth in December 2019.

Schulenburg made her daytime debut as Stewart on CBS’ The Young and the Restless in 2007 after the character was re-introduced in the online production “Digital Daytime: L.A. Diaries,” which also starred Adrienne Frantz (Amber Moore on Y&R).

Related Stories June Preston MOVIE NEWS June Preston, Child Actor Turned Celebrated Opera Singer, Dies at 93 Schulenburg played Stewart on As the World Turns through the show’s cancellation in 2010 — she received a Daytime Emmy nomination that year — then joined One Life to Live as Sullivan when the ABC stalwart returned as a web series on Hulu and iTunes in 2013.

The daughter of a concert trombonist, Schulenburg was born on May 21, 1984, in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She attended Barnstable High School in Massachusetts and DeSales University in Center Valley, Pennsylvania, graduating with a degree in theater in 2006.

A onetime gymnast, she appeared in plays for the Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival and for the Dramatists Guild of America in New York City before landing on television.

Schulenburg also guest-starred on such primetime shows as Blue Bloods, Fringe, Elementary, Royal Pains and The Good Fight and will recur next season as Maggie Caysen on the Showtime drama City on a Hill.

She was released from the hospital on Mother’s Day to spend time with her husband and daughter, the website SheKnows Soaps reported.

“I know that me being here for [Coda] is the best gift I can give her,” she wrote recently, “but right now, it feels like settling since she’s getting a half-life version of myself. My mother showed up 100 percent all day every day for me growing up, or at least it seemed that way. I want to give Coda the same, but I must be kind to myself and remember that nothing is permanent.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2022 9:45 AM

Why do people keep dying?

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 9:40 PM

I didn't enjoy her as Alison, but I never wanted her to die over it! Seriously though, this is very surprising and sad news.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 9:44 PM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 9:53 PM

How awful.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 10:42 PM

From Wikipedia:

“In May 2020, Schulenburg revealed that she had been diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer which doctors mistook for a mastitis diagnosis that is common to new mothers. She described her cancer as the "most insidious kind, inflammatory breast cancer which doesn’t look like typical breast cancer, more aggressive, affects younger women, and disguises itself as a breastfeeding infection." "How does one celebrate a birthday after a stage four breast cancer diagnosis in the middle of a global pandemic while raising a 5 month old?", she wrote in an Instagram post. Her friends and family members set up a GoFundMe page for her medical expenses and the goal of $75,000 was raised in October 2020. On May 17, 2022, she died from the disease at a hospital in Bloomfield, New Jersey, four days before her 38th birthday.”

Very, very sad. My condolences to her family.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 11:24 PM

I'm afraid I hadn't heard of her before, but I knew her husband's name sounded familiar. He played Godzilla from that episode of 30 Rock that ends with him giving a monologue mirroring Liz's life over the closing credits ("I should have moved to Cleveland with that guy when I had the chance!"). I looked him up a while back after watching that episode numerous times but wasn't able to find out much about him. (I see he's on Succession now, but this was before that.) Hate that this is the way to have his name come up again.

So sad for her family, especially their daughter. I know it's probably a cliche at this point, but fuck cancer. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 6May 19, 2022 2:36 AM

She seems familiar but can't recall anything about her. Did her character Alison interact with Nuke in ATWT?

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2022 2:40 AM

Her character seemed to have a magic cookie because all of the younger (straight) men chased her. It was something of a joke in the fandom. She was a very good actress and I liked that she was attractive but also approachable.

R7, iirc she was friends with Luke and was probably his talk-to from time to time. Also maybe she was Noah’s girlfriend before he came out?

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2022 3:40 AM

I also wasn't a fan of Allison during her tenure, but it was more the way the character was written; she did the best she could given the material. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2022 3:38 PM

Has Miss Hansis commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2022 5:58 PM

r10, I checked the Twitter and Instagram accounts of Van Hansis, Billy Magnussen, and Eric William Morris (who had the recurring role of Casey's ex-cellmate Matt O'Connor, an occasional love interest for Allison), and nada from any of them so far.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2022 6:01 PM

Has Chris Goutman commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2022 7:18 PM

R11 It's been around 12 years since they've worked together. Probably not even friends outside of work anyways.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2022 7:35 PM

Van Hansis OWES us a statement.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2022 7:56 PM

Alison...let's see...she was Emily's sister AND her daughter, darlings.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2022 8:04 PM

Damn. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 16May 19, 2022 8:08 PM

She was a very natural actress, no affectations. I hate that this happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 17May 19, 2022 8:28 PM

Very disappointed that Van Hansis couldn’t take the time out of his busy (!) schedule to post a comment.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2022 12:57 AM

R7 Yes. Alison was a big Nuke supporter. She was upset when she learned from Noah that he and Luke had broken up over sloppy-drunk Luke kissing his step-pee paw, Brian, with Noah witnessing it and punching Brian's lights out .. lol. .. Alison got Casey (aka Butters) to help her in her plan to get them back together by locking Noah and Luke on the roof so they'd be forced to talk.

R8 Noah's girlfriend before he came out was Maddie (Alexandra Chando), not Alison.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2022 9:35 PM

R19 Thanks. I remember Maddie and Butters (who knew he would be the one to be most successful?), but still barely have any impression of Alison though the storyline you described does ring a bell... Lucinda brought Brian to town and turned out he was more interested into twinky Luke.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2022 10:51 PM

I read about this a few days ago. So very heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2022 11:24 PM

Where the hell is Miss Van Hansis’ statement about Marnie’s passing?????

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2022 2:12 AM

Has Margaret McLarty issued a statement?

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2022 3:12 AM

I went to college with her and her husband. Gorgeous and sweet- a wonderful down to earth person. I had no idea she was sick and hearing of her death a few days ago was very upsetting.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2022 3:17 AM

That last post and photos that she put up on Instagram on Mother's Day is sad. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2022 3:27 AM

Marnie was a great actress on ATWT & I enjoyed her real life interviews.

She could've been a Disney princess in a feature film or a super hero in some DC Supergirl or Marvel mutant film.

Just think that some of her family & friends might have return her birthday gifts now. How awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2022 7:22 PM

That’s very sad, R26. She was indeed a charming actress and seemed like a sweet person. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2022 7:44 PM

Here she is on a ATWT reunion show with "Nuke" among others on 4-17-20 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2022 7:55 PM

Here is another appearance of Marnie on that website on 5-5-21 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2022 8:02 PM

Wow. She was adorable.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2022 8:07 PM

She looks so different from R26 to the OP's recent pic of her.

It's hard to believe it's the same person in both.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2022 8:10 PM

R11 I noticed on the GoFundMe page that Billy Magnussen was one of the two top donors, so it's not like he's forgotten about his frequent screen partner.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2022 8:41 PM

Has Miss Hansis finally commented????

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2022 8:59 PM

R33 Is it appropriate to call someone over 40 "Miss"?

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2022 11:33 PM

Of course it is, r34!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2022 11:38 PM

PUT A RING ON IT, TYLER!

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2022 12:51 AM

R36 Are they still together? After so many years, what's the point?

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2022 1:07 AM

I love R35.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2022 1:15 AM

R37 Appears so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2022 5:16 AM

More proof for R34 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2022 5:34 AM

R39 Close to twenty years together by now... they belong on the cover of Gay Illustrated.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2022 7:29 AM

Don’t Van and Ty have an open relationship?

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2022 9:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!