Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone Had. A Lipoma Removed?

I have one on my inner elbow. It was ok for years but grew slowly. Now it’s looking unsightly and I can’t wear short sleeve shirts because it looks like my elbow is pregnant in the second trimester. How much does it cost? Insurance doesn’t cover it because it’s considered “cosmetic” surgery unless it’s threatening your life in some way. I live in NY metro area, so it won’t be cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 9:19 PM

Yes, years ago, OP. I had the surgery and the scar is barely noticeable. More importantly, the lipoma hasn't returned.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 2:47 PM

Is this a photo of your arm after prior surgery?

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 2:51 PM

I had surgery for two lipomas on my left arm about 20 years ago. The surgeon left some pretty ugly scars, which took a few years to fade.

While lipomas haven't regrown there, I grew new ones on my right arm and on the right part of my abdomen--but neither stands out enough to do anything about them.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 2:51 PM

I would see a surgeon anyway. Insurance might be able to cover it depending on other circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 2:52 PM

Maybe you could have it moved to your arse?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 3:00 PM

Won’t insurance cover it if it adds discomfort to your life - such as pressing on a bone/muscle, chaffing against clothes, etc?

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 3:13 PM

If you’re willing to appear on TV, Dr. Lee will probably do it for free.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 3:18 PM

Only if it’s cutting off circulation or impinging on a nerve. And just saying “it hurts” won’t get insurance to cover it. They know where your nerves, muscles and blood vessels are.

They used to be covered by insurance years ago but not anymore. Same with scalp cysts.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 3:23 PM

OP can you drive out past the NYC metro area or go to Scranton or somewhere to have it done? It’s likely cheaper there.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 3:23 PM

I work for an insurance company. We cover lipoma removal with complex closure if it’s causing pain or discomfort. We just ask if it’s causing discomfort. If they say “yes” we approve it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 3:38 PM

[quote] can you drive out past the NYC metro area

I know a guy in Waterbury who does back-alley lipomectomies. Very reasonable; might work for a beej.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 3:42 PM

I had one removed from my chest/upper abdomen forty years ago. It was covered then, no questions asked. And it's never returned, there or anywhere else.

The scar is small because it was right under my pectoral muscle - and the surgeon was talented - but every doc I've seen since wants to know what it was for.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 4:12 PM

I had one on the center of my back, and insurance paid for it to be removed, my doctor said insurance will pay for it if it was causing me discomfort. This was probably around 20 years ago so things might be different now.

The when they open it up and pull out the white stuff it really smells bad. It was done in the doctors office.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote] Won’t insurance cover it if it adds discomfort to your life -

My insurance covered it without question. It likely depends on how the doctor codes it for the insurance co.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 5:09 PM

[Quote]They used to be covered by insurance years ago but not anymore. Same with scalp cysts.

USA USA USA! Worst health care in the developed world.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 5:21 PM

[quote]If you’re willing to appear on TV, Dr. Lee will probably do it for free.

I've watched Dr Pimple Popper so many times I think I could perform a lipoma removal.

All you need is a sharp knife, cotton and thread, tweezers and a teaspoon.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 5:30 PM

Leave a window open and let the rats chew it off.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 5:31 PM

I just had one removed. My dermatologist said he’d code it as “suspicious” so that insurance would cover it. Doctors do that all the time—so ask if that’s possible.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 5:32 PM

OP do what others have suggested and visit the surgeon. Better off knowing what’s doin’ in there.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 5:38 PM

Is that a lipoma in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 5:44 PM

Willy Wonka had to have a few oompa loompas removed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2022 9:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!