Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any fans of Halsey?

Part of me wants to stan her more than I do. I feel like what's keeping me from doing so is she seems like a basic white girl who likes to pretend to be a wild child.

Musically I've enjoyed a decent amount of her output. I think even musically she has this one foot in/one foot out thing. Some of her songs suggest a musical depth that make me want to hear more -- i.e. "Not Afraid Anymore", "Strangers", "Experiment on Me", "Nightmare" -- but then she'll turn around and do a lame ass soulless pop song with BTS or be up there singing "Shake It Off" with Taylor Swift and it's like, please ma'am you're blocking the entrance to Hot Topic.

Her last album was her most critically acclaimed but least commercially successful. So I'm guessing she's gonna right back to the Pop shit next go-round.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2022 11:12 AM

I really love her voice

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 3:05 AM

What’s with millennial performers and their unbelievably stupid professional names?

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 3:29 AM

She's talented. I like her voice unedited and live but I don't like when she does the auto tune shit.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 3:33 AM

Her look and sound remind me of the Chipettes.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 4:29 AM

[quote] I feel like what's keeping me from doing so is she seems like a basic white girl who likes to pretend to be a wild child.

Heaven forbid, she's a WHITE woman???!!! It's time to eliminate all white people from television and music. How dare she be white! She needs to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 4:30 AM

She’s actually half black and identifies as black. I think she is genuinely talented and seems like a decent sort. She describes herself as “a stoner who made it.” But she can play the victim card in that typical Gen Z way that gets on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 11:44 AM

She's actually black.....well, she's biracial but she identify as black

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 11:58 AM

I really like her music. Her last album was great. But as a person she annoys the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 12:01 PM

Musicwise she has some good sings. I find her very annoying and attention-seeking about everything. She's like that rapper Logic who is obsessed with being biracial. She identifying as black isn't a huge deal but there is the fact this is the 21st century. The idea that half-black is just black isn't as commonly accepted anymore like it used to be. Frankly only in North America were mixed race people seen as just black. Now you have people from Latin America, Europe and Africa immigrating here who find that very concept completely ridiculous and see mixed people as a distinct class. Also she's a light-skinned biracial who has an ambiguous appearance. Many could mistake her for white even. So there's that reality, she can navigate the world as a white woman and this rubs darker-skinned monoracial black people the wrong way. A lot of people aren't mad she chose to identify as black but are annoyed she acts like a victim because she's biracial and looks white.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2022 12:28 AM

Hail the Queen of Halsey Street!

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2022 12:34 AM

I thought she was a they?

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2022 12:36 AM

Their tri-bi. Bisexual. Bipolar. Biracial. Yet nonbinary...

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2022 12:47 AM

Alone is her best song / look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2022 12:52 AM

Her last album reeked of paganism. So no….

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2022 12:56 AM

It seems people even with talent have to be obnoxious attention whores online to get clout. Even Lizzo who I find talented spends more time talking on social media being cringey than releasing songs.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2022 12:57 AM

I like her music, she is easy on the eyes, and that artistic shit she did on SNL was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2022 12:58 AM

Biracial? She looks white to me.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2022 12:59 AM

I like her voice too. The last album was more than I thought her capable of.

She does seem like kind of a twat though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2022 1:02 AM

she said: my dad is black and a little Irish and my mom is Italian and Hungarian!

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2022 1:05 AM

She's definitely a Jennifer Beals and Troian Bellissaro type. Halsey should be the one attached to the Imitation of Life remake not Zendaya.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2022 1:05 AM

Her dad is fair-skinned just like Logic's dad and Quincy Jones, the father of Rashida. Most American black-white biracial mixes are more white percentage wise than black.

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2022 1:06 AM

OP = Obsessed with race. It keeps him up at night.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2022 2:59 AM

Doesn’t she have Morgellon’s, CFS, or fibromyalgia or something? She kept whining on social media about being diagnosed with some eye-rolling, mug-cradler’s disease after popping out her kid.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2022 3:30 AM

Her attempt to sing blink-182 is maximum cringe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 23, 2022 4:49 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2022 5:06 AM

She's a nice girl (amazing abs for one who's given birth) and very gracious and engaging with her audience - but her "music" sucks, and the people at her show were basic AF (mostly Hollister-wearing dudebro lesbians)

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2022 5:10 AM

R14 it did?

R15 Lizzo saying what a big fan she is of Chris Brown made her look like a complete moron. And thirsting over Evans was cringey too.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2022 10:12 AM

[quote]I like her music, she is easy on the eyes, and that artistic shit she did on SNL was amazing.

Halsey is an artist, she was accepted to one of the US' most prestigious art colleges, the Rhode Island School of Design, but couldn't afford the tuition. RISD is not an easy school to get into, it's clear she has artistic talent. I know only two people from my former art high school 's graduating class who were accepted there.

I would assume her Black father is part Italian, that would explain why her last name is Frangipane, unless she's using her Italian/Hungarian mom's last name.

It's kind of sad she needs so many gimmicks, because she has a good voice and obvious talent, she was pretty good in the SNL skits.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2022 10:50 AM

OP = colossal fail. Maybe you should have stanned Halsey just enough to know she's not a basic white bitch.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2022 11:10 AM

Wow, somebody up the thread did this incredible white-splaining racism spiel.

And it was so sincere.

Because sincerity is apparently a white virtue nowadays.

JK. JK.

I've actually fucked a lot of you people. In a good way. Hopefully. I mean, some of you were duds.

Have you heard of this thing called statistical anomaly clusters?

It's fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2022 11:47 AM

Halsey was a real fun guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2022 11:56 AM

I love her

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2022 4:47 PM

She's AWFULLY think these days. Hmmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2022 11:58 PM

She's a quarter black, her father is half.

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2022 12:02 AM

R34 Yes but believe it or not there are many black people in North America and in other Anglo-Caribbean colonies with two black parents who would technically be biracial or even mostly white by DNA percentage. These black people descend from a population that purposely married other multiracial fair-skinned black people over generations to obtain certain privileges and power over dark-skinned blacks and access to white spaces. In Spanish, French and Portuguese colonies, these groups would be called "mulattoes" and were seen as completely distinct. But in Anglo colonies, they were just seen as blacks due to stricter racial purity laws. So you have biracial children who have a parent who identifies as black and a white parent. And that would make them technically a quarter black by percentage. Rashida Jones, Jennifer Beals and Troin Bellisario are similar cases to Halsey. Having a light-skinned Black parent with higher than average white admixture which results in them presenting as more white. Halle Berry, Zendaya and Mariah Carey have darker-skinned black parents.

In her case, I feel she's overcompensating and has a desire to be a victim of sorts. I know many biracial people and they don't go around advertising the fact and many are fine being mixed or black depending on what they chose to identify. She's just an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2022 12:22 AM

[Quote] In her case, I feel she's overcompensating and has a desire to be a victim of sorts. I know many biracial people and they don't go around advertising the fact and many are fine being mixed or black depending on what they chose to identify. She's just an attention whore.

Well Halsey grew up in the tumblr era.

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2022 6:24 AM

She's more like a prop in that new Calvin Harris song.

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2022 7:47 AM

[quote]In her case, I feel she's overcompensating and has a desire to be a victim of sorts. I know many biracial people and they don't go around advertising the fact and many are fine being mixed or black depending on what they chose to identify. She's just an attention whore.

Product of her generation.

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2022 10:10 AM

the video is clumsy. in some scenes you see Halsey just standing in the background on camera and doing nothing.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2022 11:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!