Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why can't bike riders be forced to follow the rules of the road?

They run red lights, they don't signal properly and they don't move out of the way. And can something be done about motorcycle riders who drive between lanes on the interstate.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2022 2:48 AM

If only we could shoot them.

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2022 2:07 AM

they do have to follow the rules of the road.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2022 2:20 AM

I think bicyclists should be humanely trapped and relocated to someplace where they can frolic safely among their own kind without disturbing us grown-ups.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2022 2:27 AM

I am sad when I see animals killed on the road. If it were a bicyclist instead, my heart would be gleeful.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2022 2:36 AM

They are carbonoxious.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2022 2:36 AM

Bikers follow the same rules you do. If they are going slow in front of you, you can pass them leaving a wide area of safety. If they are not following the same rules you and I do then they are getting what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2022 2:51 PM

Love to know where you live where cyclists follow the rules of the road

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2022 3:00 PM

They are perceived as victims of big mean evil cars by society, so nothing will ever be done. Always the victim, never the victimizer..

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2022 3:03 PM

I saw one get it good when he sped through a red light at a major intersection in DC. Car that had the right of way knocked him over and he landed on one of his kneepits. So gross to watch, but so satisfying in the "you deserved it, bitch" sense that overcame the initial shock. This was at the height of the bike messenger days.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2022 3:08 PM

I see cyclists running stop signs all the time; in fact I just saw one do this and almost hit an elderly pedestrian this past weekend. She was taken aback and stumbled back onto the greenbelt near the crosswalk; I stopped to see if she was ok.

It's not safe for them to be running red lights or stop signs. If they want to act like a "vehicle" they need to observe the rules of the road. If there are bike lanes specifically for them they need to use them when it's a very busy thoroughfare.

What I'd like to know is what makes them think otherwise? These rules are set up for their safety - and for the safety of the other cars on the road so they don't have to swerve or cause accidents trying to miss them.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2022 3:36 PM

They are always ignoring traffic signals. Hate them with a passion.

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2022 6:13 PM

Like many things, the obnoxious few give a bad name to the many. I've seen more drivers endanger cyclists than vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2022 6:30 PM

"And can something be done about motorcycle riders who drive between lanes on the interstate."

One of the more gratifying satisfactions in life is seeing these idiots' bodies splattered on the road further down the highway. Apparently, they think the laws of physics don't apply to them.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2022 7:27 PM

They're actually one of the scariest things about walking around in NYC. They come from every which way, racing with their deliveries- or wobbling in traffic on a Citi bike.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 7:33 PM

Some of them follow the rules, but some of them are reckless. They're also terrible on walking/biking trails. We have a lot of those in my city. There are rules posted on the trails. One is pedestrians have the right of way over bikers, and another is if they are behind walkers and there are bikers or walkers coming the other way, they are supposed to stop behind the walkers to wait for a clear pass. Again, some bikers follow these rules, but I've seen near crashes when bikers won't wait and just pass and almost hit the walkers or bikers coming from the other side.

Another one for which there isn't necessarily a rule but is just common sense is bikers shouldn't attempt to pass when going around a corner where they can't see what's coming. I didn't actually see it, but earlier this spring a biker did the blind-around-the-corner pass, then I heard yells and a crashing sound. He had crashed into bikers coming the other way.

Oh man, the bikers coming the other way lit into the asshole who did the blind pass. When I walked by they were still arguing. The jerk who did the blind pass was defending himself! I piped up and told the guy who tried the blind pass that it was a stupid move, he should apologize to the people he crashed into, and he should be more careful. He just stood there open-mouthed as I walked away. What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 8:50 PM

R15 cheers for you!

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2022 9:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2022 9:02 PM

When I am walking and see a cyclist run a stop sign, I yell "laws apply to you too, asshole".

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2022 9:03 PM

What I hate is when a bicyclist blithely turns into a crosswalk, and idiots in cars stop to let them cross. You’re on a bike, you’re not a pedestrian!

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2022 9:07 PM

Colorado changed their laws, for bicycles a stop sign is treated like a yield sign and a stop light is treated like a stop sign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote] Why can't bike riders be forced to follow the rules of the road?

Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians all share the road and believe me they are ALL equally disrespectful of others and or ignore the rules.

by Anonymousreply 21May 19, 2022 1:05 AM

Why must we have those terrible bicyclists on the road? I mean, really.

Why must we have self checkout lanes?

Cell phones are annoying, we were much better off with landlines.

by Anonymousreply 22May 19, 2022 1:08 AM

Nothing wrong with bicycles on the road, as long as they follow the rules of the road. Most of them don't.

by Anonymousreply 23May 19, 2022 2:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!