Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Queen opens Elizabeth Line

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2022 11:48 PM

Is this only for kweens?

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2022 11:46 AM

Beware the Paddington Post Office. I think there are still people waiting in line from the last time I was there in March 2001. Actually, that's become the norm w/London Post Offices.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2022 11:53 AM

The Old Girl barely shuffles along, is not confident/comfortable using the stick that she carries to support her. Since Eddie Wessex has become her walker, I don't know why she doesn't give herself a break, make her mobility a tad easier by laying her hand on Eddie's arm and using him to support her, as she did with Prince Andrew at Phil's memorial service.

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2022 12:41 PM

God love her, she's never seen a Metro ticket before.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2022 1:51 PM

R4 Or an Oyster card.

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2022 1:53 PM

It is nice to see her doig her walkabouts. I don't blame here, I rather be with people than Parliament.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2022 1:54 PM

Did she “Mind the gap”?

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2022 1:56 PM

She must really hate the idea of leaving the throne to her son.

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2022 3:25 PM

R8 or she's a 96 year old widow who has worked her whole life (long after the age most of us will be shitting ourselves and stuck on a diet of cream of wheat and water) and hates being stuck at home.

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2022 3:30 PM

Fantastic. I've been watching the Elizabeth Line vids, and look forward to riding it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2022 3:36 PM

She was disappointed she didn’t get to go to Cockfosters.

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2022 3:37 PM

Is Elizabeth line a whole new system, or is it an old line renamed?

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2022 3:56 PM

It's the NEW Crossrail that will intersect with Paddington, Tottenham Court Road etc.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2022 4:07 PM

Tube map with new line added.

One would think that it would be an express line between Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2022 4:16 PM

They named a station after a BEAR!?

by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2022 4:21 PM

[quote] They named a station after a BEAR!?

Yes, and it's not the first one. Wait until they open the Andrew Sullivan Station.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2022 4:27 PM

She's adorable!

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2022 4:28 PM

"Mobility issues" is a lovely innocuous term which can refer to a whole sort of conditions: she can't travel too far away from the loo today; her blood pressure is off the charts today and she can't stand without dizziness; etc. I imagine they weigh every day's schedule based on how she is feeling versus logistics - how far does she have to walk, how long does the event last, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2022 4:36 PM

I wonder if the Queen has an electric wheelchair or scooter in her private rooms?

by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2022 4:38 PM

I heard she's getting into a clothing line next. That was in the works after she visit at a fashion show with Anna Wintour. First, she doesn't show up to work at Parliament. Next, product and service lines. The real Elizabeth is coming out since Phillip died.

You all could have had a line of hats, jam, horse shoes, saddles, and black handbags decades ago. Trust me, this is just the start. Liz and her new roommate ( cough, girlfriend) are about to cash out!

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote] I wonder if the Queen has an electric wheelchair or scooter in her private rooms?

She wanders Windsor Castle in an enormous exo-suit cargo-loader based on the one Sigourney Weaver used in "Aliens."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2022 6:40 PM

^^^It's not great for her when she wishes to handle her Fabergé eggs, however. Otherwise it pretty much gets the job done.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2022 6:46 PM

Those are some good face slapping gloves her royal majesty’s wearing.

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2022 6:55 PM

She's really lived long enough to see herself highly honored. The "Big Ben" clock tower for the Houses of Parliament (arguably the most famous civic landmark in all of London) was named after her as the Elizabeth Tower during the Diamond Jubilee in 2012, and now an entire suburban subway line is named after her. This is in addition to the dozens of buildings, lakes, mountains, airport terminals, etc. named after her during her long reign.

I think it will be likely that when she dies soon there will be multiple statues of her commissioned all over the UK.

It is unlikely either Charles or William will be so honored for their reigns to the same degree--probably no one else has ever been honored as much ,excepting only Queen Victoria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2022 7:30 PM

^^^ Yes, and it is all because she wears those Easter egg colors. Victoria was always so depressing.

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2022 7:37 PM

The funny thing is that when Victoria did go out (which was rarely) in the decades after Albert's death she was as instantly recognizable as Elizabeth II is today because she was often the only woman all in black. The queen now wears those bright, bright colors so she stands out at a distance from everyone else so people can say they've seen her even if they only glimpsed her from a great distance.

I don't think Charles or William will be able to do the same thing, unless they wear their bright military jackets in all red or all bright blue.

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2022 7:48 PM

Can you imagine if some crazy person pushed her off the platform?

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2022 7:48 PM

^^SPLAT!

by Anonymousreply 28May 17, 2022 7:52 PM

r24 well this only happens when the monarch(s) are sickly or die early. Her contemporaries started their reigns in the 70s or 80s. Unless William offs himself or visits a French tunnel, there is no hope of this amount of impact. They could wish for a war but I bet the public will rally behind the PM more so than the king.

by Anonymousreply 29May 17, 2022 8:07 PM

Victoria had to be mentally ill. There is no dick on earth worth decades of deep mourning, none. She had the world at her fingertips and could have taken to traveling, fucking, shopping, giving back to the poor, or anything productive. She didn't deserve to be Queen.

by Anonymousreply 30May 17, 2022 8:10 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 17, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote] I don't think Charles or William will be able to do the same thing, unless they wear their bright military jackets in all red or all bright blue.

Like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 17, 2022 8:43 PM

Do you think Wessex is one of the people Harry is concerned about who are "around" the Queen?

Because his wife and daughter despise the Harkles. If looks could kill, Harry would never have made it home to LaCa from Philip's funeral.

Clearly, Edward is the new Andrew. After the memorial service backlash the Queen has wisely retired that idea.

by Anonymousreply 33May 17, 2022 8:53 PM

It doesn't appear that you've ever seen a tube ticket before either, r4.

by Anonymousreply 34May 17, 2022 8:59 PM

R24, the reason things are named after her is because she's the monarch. Once she goes and Charles is king, they will be named after him. The government will even be called "His Majesty's Government".

Not sure about statues, we don't really do them, especially of monarchs.

by Anonymousreply 35May 17, 2022 9:02 PM

I do love the yellow coat, the colour is divine, not to acidic and too mustardy, a true daffodil.

And hat with the pansy in front.

by Anonymousreply 36May 17, 2022 10:05 PM

^*not too (not to) acidic

by Anonymousreply 37May 17, 2022 10:06 PM

Who cares what mooby Harry is concerned about. His idiot Scooby is in the papers today criticizing Charles and the Queen again. Hate to tell him, it's none of his business anymore.

by Anonymousreply 38May 17, 2022 10:09 PM

I hope William keeps up with the tradition and one day wears an all-yellow suit.

by Anonymousreply 39May 17, 2022 10:12 PM

R39 Kate is already upholding the tradition. William will sport a matching tie.

Kate in yellow over the years.

Meghan would sell Harry for those legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 17, 2022 10:23 PM

R30 Victoria suffered from severe depression that had nothing to do with Albert’s death. She also had post-natal depression after the birth of each of her children. She was also the Queen and could afford to be remarkably self-indulgent. She got herself together when she had to, usually to ask parliament for money for one of her children’s support. She basically lived long enough to become a much loved Queen. Her black clothes and frumpy bonnets become her most identifiable feature.

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2022 11:24 PM

How much stuff does she need named after herself?

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2022 11:38 PM

I have never been a fan of Edward in looks and I don't know much about him, but he has been looking much better the last 2 outings w/ the Queen. He is starting to turn into Philip and it looks like he is working out a little bit.

It was fantastic to see the Queen as always. Imagine having your own tube named after you. One would certainly want to make it to that. Not only that, but the Elizabeth is actually one of the more useful lines.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2022 5:44 AM

[quote] I heard she's getting into a clothing line next.

Yes, Kim Kardashian is in final talks to be spokesmodel for the line.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2022 5:51 AM

The grooms look sexy @R31, especially the one on the left. Does the Queen get to keep them AND the horse?

by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2022 9:55 AM

Londoners - does this line take you to/from Heathrow? I’ve been reading about it - but have seen that it is only opening IN PART? So not all stops are open as of next week? Seems like a quick way to get from Heathrow to Soho - but the some places say it is not fully functional.

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2022 12:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2022 1:07 PM

Nothing puts a smile on that old gals face like being around horses. It’s lovely to see such a genuine smile from her.

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2022 1:19 PM

It's apparently not fully open until the autumn r46, but if you want to get from Heathrow to Soho, just take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Leicester Square (I'm on it right now!).

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2022 3:31 PM

The Mayor tried to capitalize, sneaky little fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote] [R24], the reason things are named after her is because she's the monarch. Once she goes and Charles is king, they will be named after him. The government will even be called "His Majesty's Government".

Well, DUH. Of course things will be named in the short term for Charles once he's monarch. I'm talking about things that will be named for him in the long run, and there won;t be nearly as many because (a) he won't reign for as long, and (b) he is not as beloved.

[quote]Not sure about statues, we don't really do them, especially of monarchs.

I'm not sure who you mean by "we," since you've not identified yourself by nationality. But the British do put up statues to their monarchs: below are the famous statues of the Queen's parents between the Mall and Carlton gardens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2022 4:28 PM

Statue of Queen Anne by St. Paul's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2022 4:29 PM

The Queen Victoria Memorial outside Buckingham Palace.

In addition, there are statues to these kings and queens and other ones all over the United Kingdom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2022 4:30 PM

R51, by "we" I mean we Britons. For a 1000-year monarchy, we really have very few statues to our 100s of monarchs. Pointing out a small number doesn't mean much.

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2022 5:33 PM

Actually, it was Meghan and Harry who tried to capitalise on Hizzoner being in New York.

Khan sensibly muttered to himself, "No fucking way," and politely told them he was awfully sorry, but his schedule was just too heavy to permit a visit.

That's all Khan would have needed: a nice personal visit with Netflix cameras waiting, as he tacitly endorsed a couple of vipers throwing grenades at Britain's Head of State and the institutions that functions as that arm of the ship of state, and its next two kings.

Khan is way too cagey to have taken that poison pawn.

by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2022 11:46 PM

R50 - Ooops, apologies! Responding to wrong story on wrong thread.

R55

by Anonymousreply 56May 20, 2022 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!