Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What the hell is Spanish food?

Yes, I think we all know about paella and jamon.

But what else?

You never hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 10:02 AM

Tapas

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2022 5:53 PM

Tortilla (like an egg and potato omelette).

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2022 6:11 PM

Tapas & pinxtos, croquetas, tortilla, patatas bravas, pan con tomate, allioli, olives, padron peppers, gazpacho, jamon iberico, paella & fideua, fabada asturiana, cocido madrileño, albondigas (meatballs), migas, pulpo a la gallega, churros, turron.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2022 6:22 PM

The poster above me listed a bunch of great examples, here are a few more. Membrillo, a thick sweet paste made from quinces. Manchego cheese and many others. Tinned fish of all types are a specialty of Spain, they are amazing and are even served in restaurants. Torta de aceites are delicious cookies made with olive oil. Sherry.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2022 6:34 PM

Tortilla Española recipe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2022 6:49 PM

That recipe at R5 gets step 4 backward (plus onion is a whole other debate that can cause Spanish bloodshed). It says to flip the raw side onto the plate, when you actually want to slide the cooked side onto the plate and then flip the raw side over into the bottom of the pan. Or buy a double tortilla plan that stacks one pan on the other to flip, or just use two similar sized pans. Lastly, looking at their finished tortilla they haven't cut the potatoes finely enough.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2022 7:15 PM

Sangria.

Albondingas (meatballs)

croquetas (see below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2022 5:55 PM

Tantos respuestos y no one has asked me for my opinion? I cook the, how you say, cucumber? for mis Baldwinitos all de time.

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2022 6:05 PM

They love their olives.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2022 6:12 PM

There are many regional cuisines in Spain. If you are ever there, try Asturian restaurants. I have also heard good things about food from Galicia (lots of seafood) and from (in?) the Basque country. Those regions are on my list.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2022 6:33 PM

Taco Bell

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2022 6:39 PM

Whenever I'm making paella for an intimate dinner party I hop in my Chevrolet Bel-Air and go to the grocery store to get some Spanish sowsage, and I always pick up a few red weirdos for Tina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2022 8:57 PM

Everything you need to know:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2022 9:16 PM

R13, that was cool.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2022 1:25 AM

Drinks: Tinto de verano; Palo cortado; Sherry; Rebujitos

Espinacas con garbanzos

Berenjena frita con queso de cabra o miel (o cana de azúcar)

Sopa de ajo blanco (garlic and almond soup thickened with bread and lightly flavored with vinegar, topped with sliced green grapes - "white gazpacho")

Solomillo de cerdo al whisky

Salsichas al miel

Pringá (pork and morcilla mixed with other meats in small sandwiches)

Salmorejo (a creamier, simpler counterpoint to gazpacho)

Puchero - a complex broth/soup seasoned with hierba buena (mint)

Tortillitas de camarones (wafer like fritters of tiny shrimps)

Cazón en adobo (a variety of shark made very tender in vinegar, seasoned, and fried)

Huevos a la flamenca

Habas con jamón

Jamón ibérico de bellota

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2022 10:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!