Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘They/Them’- Meet Kevin Bacon’s Gay Conversion Horror Film

Now this is an original concept.

A new horror film about the terrors of conversion therapy is coming to Peacock. “They/Them,” a horror film produced by venerable production studio Blumhouse and starring Kevin Bacon, will be hitting the streamer Aug. 5.

Bacon stars in the film as Owen Whistler, the director of a conversion therapy camp named Whistler Camp, which attempts to “turn” LGBTQ+ teenagers straight and cisgender. Set over a week-long session at the camp, the film focuses on the various campers, led by trans and nonbinary Jordan (Theo Germaine), as they undergo psychological torment from the camp’s programming. When an unidentified killer begins claiming victims, the kids must team up to protect each other, both from the killer and from the camp staff.

Anna Chlumsky and Carrie Preston join Bacon in the film as Camp Whistler staff members. Quei Tann, Austin Crute, Monique Kim, Anna Lore, Cooper Koch and Darwin del Fabro portray Jordan’s friends and fellow campers. The film will serve as the directorial debut of John Logan, best known for his Oscar-nominated scripts for “Gladiator,” “The Aviator” and “Hugo.”

“They/Them has been germinating within me my whole life,” Logan said in a statement. “I’ve loved horror movies as long as I can remember, I think because monsters represent ‘the other’ and as gay kid I felt a powerful sense of kinship with those characters who were different, outlawed, or forbidden. I wanted to make a movie that celebrates queerness, with characters that I never saw when I was growing up. When people walk away from the movie, I hope they’re going to remember the incredible love that these kids have for each other and how that love needs to be protected and celebrated.”

Logan will also executive produce the film, along with Bacon, Scott Turner Schofield, Howie Young and Jon Romano. Jason Blum and Michael Aguilar produce for Blumhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 1, 2022 8:11 PM

Someone will have a problem with the name "They/Them" and accuse Bacon of making fun of pronoun preferences.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2022 4:36 PM

They should have called it "THEY/THEM LITERAL VIOLENCE!"

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2022 4:44 PM

Love the concept.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2022 4:58 PM

Well DL, it's time for us to make or own Horror movie. "The Michfest Murders! When stated boundaries aren't enough!"

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2022 5:02 PM

I hope they found money buried in a hollow tree to fund this. Because it's not gonna make a penny. No one is going to pay for Paramount+ to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2022 5:07 PM

Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2022 5:10 PM

Will Kevin showing his pendulous dong?

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2022 5:12 PM

Oh jeez, Peacock? That's even worse.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2022 5:23 PM

Was that a scream of angry power, r4, or just a scream?

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2022 5:34 PM

Figures the leading protagonist is trans and non-binary, despite the fact that conversion therapy has always been focused on turning gay people straight.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2022 6:00 PM

Any time you see the "pronouns" They and Them, you already know it's going to be a horror story.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2022 8:10 PM

Can easily see this film having the opposite effect of what its creators intend.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2022 9:14 PM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2022 10:28 PM

Kevin Bacon

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2022 10:40 PM

I had a huge crush on him in the 00s when I was a teen r14. I would watch Friday the 13th just for him. He was so young and cute.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2022 10:43 PM

*T*R*A*N*S*P*A*M*

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2022 11:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2022 6:33 PM

I do like that the title is a play on words. They Slash Them.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2022 6:38 PM

I can’t wait

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 9:22 PM

I can wait.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 9:30 PM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 9:33 PM

[quote] "I do like that the title is a play on words. They Slash Them."

Agreed. And I've always really liked Kevin Bacon, but I won't be adding a service to see it. While I'm obviously anti-conversion nonsense, something tells me I'll be rooting for Owen Whistler when the time comes.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 9:40 PM

This sounds like the plot for a slasher/horror film.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 10:02 PM

...r23, that's because it IS a slasher/horror film.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 10:29 PM

The guy with the beard is hot.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 7:26 AM

R1, seriously, I was looking into this film on Twitter for all of 2 minutes and, voilà!

I did almost start laughing at the exhaustion of it all, and the attempt to be above it all when it is clearly getting to them. I did also try to legitimately listen to their grievances but I just don't agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 7:39 AM

First trailer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2022 7:09 PM

Bacon is still trying to recoup his money lost to Bernie Madoff?

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2022 7:14 PM

That trailer looks good. I will be watching

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2022 7:16 PM

I'm watching City on Hill series now and I find mature Kevin Bacon SUPER SEXY. His FBI agent character is a really cocky immoral a-hole but clever.

As for this movie, who thinks the concept is remotely entertaining? if they play the story for black comedy, its gross. If they just play it with no irony, its deeply offensive.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2022 7:19 PM

Kevin's baby girl is getting her own horror film this year as well. Looks pretty decent. Co-starring Kyle Gallner and homosexualist Kal Penn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2022 7:23 PM

R31 the smiling reminds me of Truth Or Dare. But that last shot was cool.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2022 6:51 AM

Kevin BACON? As a queer vegan non binary person of colour, I am deeply offended that they cast a white man with a carnivorous last name.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2022 6:57 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2022 6:59 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2022 7:10 AM

Directly to steaming on Peacock. The production budget must be hundreds of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2022 7:10 AM

They/Them sounds scarier than It.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2022 7:29 AM

[quote]Kevin's baby girl is getting her own horror film this year as well.

Is it about the dime-sized black mole on her face that she hasn't gotten removed for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2022 7:37 AM

DORKMINGELARD!

DORKMINGELARD!

DORKMINGELARD!

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2022 8:38 AM

The tall bearded camp counselor looks like a more muscular Armie Hammer. I hope he has lots of nude sex scenes in this series.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2022 9:06 AM

There's no such thing as trans "conversion therapy". Fuck this film.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2022 9:10 AM

I kept see this upcoming film, but I had assumed it was the Broadway musical If/Then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2022 2:16 AM

So, has this gay male director who really wanted to make something for the kid he used to be who never saw himself actually ever made a real gay male film?

[quote]Figures the leading protagonist is trans and non-binary, despite the fact that conversion therapy has always been focused on turning gay people straight.

What, exactly, would they be converting a trans non-binary into? A straight person. Yep. The movie supposedly against gay conversion is promoting gay conversion.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2022 2:46 AM

Kevin makes very daring choices. The Woodsman - about a pedophile - was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2022 3:04 AM

You know what, this makes me realize I don’t know what the fuck / means or even what it’s called grammatically? I don’t think it was a thing they even taught in English class back when I went to school. I look at this and I think this should be called Us/Them, that makes sense to me. But what is the relationship between words that the / sets up? Is it an analogy They/Them as is Cat/_______. Does it me mean “is to?” They is to Them?

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2022 1:36 AM

The reviews are awful.

Someone complained about them using too much CJ time. What the fuck is CJ?

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2022 1:41 AM

My BF made me watch this last night - and then he fucking fell asleep halfway thru. It wasn't good. The lead they/them has a boyish face but major lady dyke thighs. She's subaru passable, not Bronco passable.

I can't believe Anna Chlumsky agreed to be in this turd. I'm sure her agent assured her it would get a huge theatrical release, and she would get a huge backend deal, which is typically the case with successful Blumhouse movies. She won't see any money beyond the upfront since it got dumped on Peacock. Still, that's more airtime than Batgirl is gonna get.

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2022 1:52 AM

Don't listen to the critics, they're all probably straight men. The movie while short on gory scares and totally predictable is actually decent.

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote] Directly to steaming on Peacock. The production budget must be hundreds of dollars.

Sure looks like it.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2022 2:19 AM

I'd watch if it didn't have trans in it. I'm just not interested in their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2022 2:26 AM

[Quote] Still, that's more airtime than Batgirl is gonna get.

Sad yet true.

[Quote] The reviews are awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2022 3:07 AM

This movie STUNK — I say this as a person who usually finds y’all’s transphobia on this site grotesque but (SPOILER) the film ends up being about how older LGBT people are just as much of a problem as are the straights, and how everybody needs to leave the poor Gen Z queers alone, that they’re the ones who have FINALLY figured it all out, and I was straight up offended. I think John Logan must be trying to fuck a 20 year old or something.

by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2022 3:40 AM

Nick Jonas is in it? Does he get nude?

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2022 4:15 AM

Dumb ass shit

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2022 4:15 AM

I just watched the movie. I agree with R52 that it stunk, although my interpretation of the ending is totally different. But all in all the movie wasn't scary, wasn't clever, and the acting by most of the younger cast was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2022 4:44 AM

Is this a Jordan Peele production?

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2022 5:35 AM

I think the ending would have been so much better if They/Them took the killer up on their offer.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2022 1:34 PM

Are you kidding, R56? Look how many white people are in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2022 1:48 PM

This was so boring. Does the jock hook up with a tranny? I don't see how "anyone could resist him/them"

by Anonymousreply 59August 8, 2022 1:00 AM

The movie is rated a 3.3 on IMDB. Almost 3,000 people have rated it currently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 8, 2022 1:15 AM

The real conversion horror movie will be about Jazz 'Jennings mother's severe Munchausen-by-proxy illness and how she created her own gay conversion tragedy by transing her gay son. It will probably end in suicide.

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2022 1:18 AM

r45, "/" is called a slash, a virgule, an oblique or a few other names. When used in legal documents, courts have determined that it means "or."

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2022 1:34 AM

R62 Cool! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2022 2:38 AM

Remember when Kevin Bacon did quality films? He's the Donald Sutherland of his generation now - he'll do anything for a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 64August 9, 2022 8:50 PM

[Quote] he'll do anything for a paycheck.

He's not alone.

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2022 10:38 AM

It was sooo bad. Trying too hard and the lead transboy was AWFUL.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2022 10:56 AM

And ugly! I remember they/them from The Politician.

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2022 12:16 PM

Are they even trans? They were wearing a gown at the red carpet.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2022 12:50 PM

Yeah, the lead actor was not good. And, I'm sorry, but one scene where he was supposed to be tough was totally undercut by the next shot of him walking away with his pear shaped/womanly butt squarely on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2022 2:09 PM

lol!

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2022 2:29 PM

original concept...

are you daft?

it's completely formulamatic...

its shit like this why the young gen are idiots ans unable to grasp nuance

by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2022 3:53 PM

From the reviews, it seems like the writer got really excited thinking up the concept, but when he sat down to write it he realized "Wait, a hallmark of slashers is that the victims' suffering and death are showcased in horrific and creative ways for the pleasure of the audience. If all of the campers are gay & trans, that means potentially most of the film will watching already LGBT+ kids get gleefully tortured and killed...oh." But instead of just nixing the slasher part, he made a POS film, because he couldn't kill his darling "camp slasher at gay conversion camp" idea.

Also someone should have told him that half the reason why summer camps/camp grounds are a good setting for horror is because it subverts the expectation that these are safe FUN places to go. No one thinks a conversion camp is going to be FUN, even if they think gay conversion is a good and effective thing.

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2022 6:01 PM

I think a better concept would have been that parents and families knowingly sent their kids off to conversion camp to be murdered. It's this realization which then spur the alphabet kids into action -with many casualties along the way.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2022 6:11 PM

[quote] But instead of just nixing the slasher part, he made a POS film, because he couldn't kill his darling "camp slasher at gay conversion camp" idea.

That reminds me of the show "Hit & Miss" with Chloe Sevigny where she played a trans (cancel her!!) hit woman. The creator said he had an idea for a show about a hitman and another idea about a trans woman discovering she'd previously fathered a child. Then he decided to the combine the two ideas into one show--despite the two ideas really making no sense together. Worse, he clearly loved the "clever" title he came up with, despite it being a complete tonal mismatch for the super serious (and rather dull) show he was actually creating.

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2022 5:41 PM

Watched this last weekend. What a terrible piece of shit. I was embarrassed for everyone, including me.

by Anonymousreply 75August 12, 2022 5:49 PM

^LOLOL

by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2022 5:54 PM

Unfortunately, the worst thing about it is it wasn't scary.

by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2022 6:00 PM

A friend recommended this to me instead after we were talking about how much we didn't like They/Them. It's got a similar concept, but they actually run with it. The downside is that you can tell it was made for very little money, but it has some effective moments and the actress playing the main villain is really scary. I caught it on Tubi last week. Really fun in a cheap B-movie way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2022 6:04 PM

Anna C should fire her agent and manager

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2022 8:13 PM

"Literal Violence!" actually would have been a far better title for a horror movie. 😂😂😂 Congrats to the person above who suggested it.

by Anonymousreply 80August 14, 2022 6:48 PM

I lot of people were really mad about this movie. I just thought it was boring.

by Anonymousreply 81August 14, 2022 6:56 PM

I haven't seen this movie and my comment isn't a commentary on it, but to the general point of aggressive inclusionism in entertainment...

I am pretty 'woke' overall. I consider myself progressive and I accept that trends come in and radically change things, cause pushback, and over time things change to a less radical degree much of the time. That's how progress is made.

I write and I listen to a podcast hosted by an author and two literary agents. They are Canadian and extremely "woke" and fully invested in socially proegressive trends.

I started listening a couple of years ago. They talked multiple times each episode about what they called #OwnStories. It was a while before anyone explained what that meant. They expected listeners to know and finally explained when someone asked.

#OwnStories is (obviously) a trend from Twitter through which authors and publishers and agents talked about and promoted books people wrote based on their own life experiences. It was a debate and also a means of screening and, it seemed, shaming authors who wrote fiction about characters who do not share the same identities as their authors.

The agents were fully committed to the idea. They would kind of reprimand authors for not including a disclosure in their query letters aboit whether or not their, say, queer or black character, was actually the same identity as the author. If an author sent them a pitch about a book and the author was a white man and the character was a gay Asian woman, they did not approve and did not want it.

They said the publishing business was changing, more intentionally inclusive and didn't want to allow majority authors to speak on behalf of minority communities, even in fiction, because "it's not your story to tell. We believe in #OwnStories and are looking for more."

They hadn't mentioned the term for a while. Recently, a listener asked what #OwnStories means and said they weren't sure if they were allowed to write anything but nonfiction because they don't want to speak for people whose experiences they don't have and they don't want to write about themself.

One of the agents answered something like, "Yeah, that's something I've struggled with, to be honest. I think the term is used differently by different people and I don't want to add to the confusion. I don't really like that term anymore and I'd just say to do your research and be as sensitive as you can be, and if you're writing fiction, go for it."

So these woke agents were all in on a trend a couple of years ago believing the publishing industry had totally shifted gears and it sounds like they're over the trend now and back to a less extreme model.

I think this happens a lot. Some social progress (and regressive) trends are extreme, some people are total suckers for extremism, and over time, things usually settle down and balance out with an improved consciousness but also a bit more common sense.

by Anonymousreply 82August 14, 2022 7:02 PM

The 2020 pron film from Naked Sword Oriignals about a gay conversion camp called "A Murdedred Heart" is moire entertaining.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 14, 2022 7:14 PM

R60 while I didn't like the movie, you can't really count IMDb or audience votes on movies like this. Anything LGBTQ will get review bombed by right wing trolls, regardless of quality.

I'd consider on par with a TLA or Wolfe production, above a Breaking Glass.

by Anonymousreply 84August 14, 2022 7:15 PM

I watched this and was disappointed that none of the virtual signalling young people got murdered.

by Anonymousreply 85August 14, 2022 7:16 PM

At least the hot guy got naked.

by Anonymousreply 86August 14, 2022 7:21 PM

The only " Them" that counts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87August 14, 2022 7:26 PM

This movie is almost in so-bad-it’s-good territory. Every moment with the Spanish guy (or was he non-binary?) is hilarious, especially when he sashays into the water to seduce the jock.

by Anonymousreply 88August 14, 2022 8:24 PM

R82, yeah, these issues are often like a pendulum swinging, aren't they? And hopefully they end up landing in a nice, reasonable place.

by Anonymousreply 89August 14, 2022 8:35 PM

Ok, that was fucking horrible! All would be forgiven, tho, if Bacon was the one luring the jock to where the man goes into the man. With Kevin topping. It would be so glorious... and it'd redeem the (shower) scene that never was in Wild Things.

by Anonymousreply 90August 18, 2022 6:13 AM

Wow, that was bad. It forgot it was a horror film until the last 20 minutes.

Spoilers

I was so disappointed that they were not killing the "campers". They were the worst.

That guy who looked like he escaped from Arkham Asylum was suppose to be so alluring that no gay guy could resist.

The whole scene where the black trans was discovered to have a penis made no sense. Her parents would have signed her up and talked with the camp director. They would have said it was their son. That would not have been a surprise.

There is a good slasher movie that could be made in this environment but this was not it

by Anonymousreply 91August 21, 2022 9:47 PM

I don't get why we need repeated films about gay conversion therapy.

We all know it's bad without needing to watch yet another movie about it.

by Anonymousreply 92August 21, 2022 10:15 PM

Kevin looks good for his age and the gray hair is ok on him.

by Anonymousreply 93August 21, 2022 11:47 PM

[quote] There is a good slasher movie that could be made in this environment but this was not it

I agree. The concept is great for a sleepaway camp kind of horror film but this was just a bunch of cheap jump scares.

by Anonymousreply 94August 21, 2022 11:51 PM

Watched this last night. Total weak sauce!

by Anonymousreply 95August 22, 2022 1:11 PM

“Silly tranny, kills are for cis!”

by Anonymousreply 96August 22, 2022 2:26 PM

"Fat trans latina lesbian" (her words, on everything she ever does) Mey Rude* reviewed the film and she is VERY disappointed that the queer characters didn't turn homicidal. She was enjoying it until they refused to kill.

"I thought we would get a film that empowers the community and gets to revel in the strength and power that is being queer and trans," she says. "Instead, it’s about being polite."

"Peacock and Blumhouse's They/Them (pronounced "They Slash Them") is a decent slasher with a great cast — but it falls apart in its third act when it starts to moralize what type of revenge queer and trans people should get on their tormentors.

"We want a true queer horror film, one in which queer people get to revel in the tropes and themes of horror, and that includes becoming murderers, getting revenge, and committing acts of violence."

*Not sure if she deserves the title "DL fave" yet, though I have seen her mentioned here a bit. She's the one who complained about Miley Cyrus' transphobia, who alerted Autostraddle to the horrific portrayal of a lesbian (or was it bisexual) taco in Sausage Party, and whose incendiary interview with Miss Major a few years back inspired some "activists" to deface the Stonewall memorial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 1, 2022 7:31 AM

[quote]"I thought we would get a film that empowers the community and gets to revel in the strength and power that is being queer and trans," she says. "Instead, it’s about being polite."

I wish all the trannies and non binaries has been hacked and slashed. That would’ve been cathartic.

by Anonymousreply 98September 1, 2022 11:54 AM

Oh so Theo Germaine is the womanly hipped one? Okay, I just looked him up and it said he's trans. Now I want to see it to see the funny parts mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 99September 1, 2022 6:32 PM

His voice sounds like the squeaky voiced teen from the Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 100September 1, 2022 6:34 PM

From wiki there's a quote from Germaine:

[quote]"I remember being three years old and being in daycare and we were all lying down on our mats and trying to nap, and I remember not being able to nap because I would always just sit there and think about gender."

I can't even imagine.

by Anonymousreply 101September 1, 2022 8:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!