Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘They/Them’- Meet Kevin Bacon’s Gay Conversion Horror Film

Now this is an original concept.

A new horror film about the terrors of conversion therapy is coming to Peacock. “They/Them,” a horror film produced by venerable production studio Blumhouse and starring Kevin Bacon, will be hitting the streamer Aug. 5.

Bacon stars in the film as Owen Whistler, the director of a conversion therapy camp named Whistler Camp, which attempts to “turn” LGBTQ+ teenagers straight and cisgender. Set over a week-long session at the camp, the film focuses on the various campers, led by trans and nonbinary Jordan (Theo Germaine), as they undergo psychological torment from the camp’s programming. When an unidentified killer begins claiming victims, the kids must team up to protect each other, both from the killer and from the camp staff.

Anna Chlumsky and Carrie Preston join Bacon in the film as Camp Whistler staff members. Quei Tann, Austin Crute, Monique Kim, Anna Lore, Cooper Koch and Darwin del Fabro portray Jordan’s friends and fellow campers. The film will serve as the directorial debut of John Logan, best known for his Oscar-nominated scripts for “Gladiator,” “The Aviator” and “Hugo.”

“They/Them has been germinating within me my whole life,” Logan said in a statement. “I’ve loved horror movies as long as I can remember, I think because monsters represent ‘the other’ and as gay kid I felt a powerful sense of kinship with those characters who were different, outlawed, or forbidden. I wanted to make a movie that celebrates queerness, with characters that I never saw when I was growing up. When people walk away from the movie, I hope they’re going to remember the incredible love that these kids have for each other and how that love needs to be protected and celebrated.”

Logan will also executive produce the film, along with Bacon, Scott Turner Schofield, Howie Young and Jon Romano. Jason Blum and Michael Aguilar produce for Blumhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 7:39 AM

Someone will have a problem with the name "They/Them" and accuse Bacon of making fun of pronoun preferences.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2022 4:36 PM

They should have called it "THEY/THEM LITERAL VIOLENCE!"

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2022 4:44 PM

Love the concept.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2022 4:58 PM

Well DL, it's time for us to make or own Horror movie. "The Michfest Murders! When stated boundaries aren't enough!"

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2022 5:02 PM

I hope they found money buried in a hollow tree to fund this. Because it's not gonna make a penny. No one is going to pay for Paramount+ to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2022 5:07 PM

Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2022 5:10 PM

Will Kevin showing his pendulous dong?

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2022 5:12 PM

Oh jeez, Peacock? That's even worse.

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2022 5:23 PM

Was that a scream of angry power, r4, or just a scream?

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2022 5:34 PM

Figures the leading protagonist is trans and non-binary, despite the fact that conversion therapy has always been focused on turning gay people straight.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2022 6:00 PM

Any time you see the "pronouns" They and Them, you already know it's going to be a horror story.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2022 8:10 PM

Can easily see this film having the opposite effect of what its creators intend.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2022 9:14 PM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2022 10:28 PM

Kevin Bacon

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2022 10:40 PM

I had a huge crush on him in the 00s when I was a teen r14. I would watch Friday the 13th just for him. He was so young and cute.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2022 10:43 PM

*T*R*A*N*S*P*A*M*

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2022 11:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2022 6:33 PM

I do like that the title is a play on words. They Slash Them.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2022 6:38 PM

I can’t wait

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2022 9:22 PM

I can wait.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2022 9:30 PM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2022 9:33 PM

[quote] "I do like that the title is a play on words. They Slash Them."

Agreed. And I've always really liked Kevin Bacon, but I won't be adding a service to see it. While I'm obviously anti-conversion nonsense, something tells me I'll be rooting for Owen Whistler when the time comes.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2022 9:40 PM

This sounds like the plot for a slasher/horror film.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2022 10:02 PM

...r23, that's because it IS a slasher/horror film.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2022 10:29 PM

The guy with the beard is hot.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2022 7:26 AM

R1, seriously, I was looking into this film on Twitter for all of 2 minutes and, voilà!

I did almost start laughing at the exhaustion of it all, and the attempt to be above it all when it is clearly getting to them. I did also try to legitimately listen to their grievances but I just don't agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2022 7:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!