Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spilled tea about RuPaul firing Mathu Andersen and Delta Work

helllurrrr!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2022 2:06 PM

Hah, Delta Work thinking RuPaul was jealous of her for winning an Emmy and that's why she got canned, was pretty funny. Delusional!

Based on that story it sounds like she got canned because WoW wanted her to work on AJ and the Queen full time and she refused and also refused to join the union, so she was seen as not a team player. RuPaul used a different stylist and liked them so Delta got dumped.

If the Emmy affected anything it was probably that it added to Delta's already inflated ego and she learned that she was replaceable.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2022 12:10 AM

Here is Delta's comment on the Youtube video (including a shady comment about Ru responsible for her own bad makeup and hair in one episode)

Pretty accurate, thank you for the mention. Very comprehensive! Also, for reiteration (because I know you already said it) neither the makeup artist or myself were responsible for the first look on season nine. Mathu did not do that look either. Because NO CREATIVE TEAM was on set after Mathu’s exit, the host was responsible for her own hair and make up in the green lace dress. Also, The last season of the show that I worked on DID receive a nomination and an Emmy win. I was listed as department chair of hair as well as the key hairstylist to RuPaul for that season and I showed up to work every day. Which means that myself and Michelle’s hairstylist would be the names pushed forward in the nomination process. That would have been AND IS my second Emmy win because as the screen credits show I was literally the only person responsible for the key hairstyling and was department chair. But rather than be uncomfortable with my presence at the awards, the production company chose to erase me and hide behind the policy that each production company can remove whoever they want from an Emmy nomination. Essentially only two names appeared on every screen credit for that season. But, in a loophole, the production company can eliminate any of those names that they want based on their own ethical prerogative. Interesting that they didn’t read the contract for the Emmys governing season nine when they moved us forward even though we didn’t qualify for a nomination but then for season 11 they would read the contract clearly enough to know that they could find a way to discredit and erase me. Another interesting move from not just a production company comprised of queer people but queer leaders who advocate that we stand up for ourselves and we take up as much space as we need and we dream to achieve. I wasn’t asking for anything that wasn’t mine. I showed up for every day of work. I turned in every time card. My name was on every single screen credit. I did exactly what was asked of me. I was already a member of the Academy with a previous win. The production company failed me not just as an alumni but as a creative producer on the show. I didn’t apply for that job they head-hunted me SPECIFICALLY for it. I dropped everything to be part of their production company. I believed in them. But not one person stood up behind me to say that I was right. There are so many more layers to this but people aren’t prepared for that because it discredits a company that has not done them wrong specifically and brings so much joy by showcasing beautiful drag entertainers. There always has to be collateral damage. And that’s me. Thank you for sharing this as accurately as you could without personal accounts from which to draw. Everybody Say Love, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2022 12:18 AM

[quote]Thank you for sharing this as accurately as you could without personal accounts from which to draw

Haha, she shaded him too. "You didn't even ASK ME!"

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2022 12:27 AM

Delta would shade actual shade: clouds, umbrellas, large hats.

Which makes her dangerous to have around in a professional environment like a show.

But it also makes her fun.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote]I didn’t apply for that job they head-hunted me SPECIFICALLY for it.

Translation: you were in Los Angeles and available. But sure, HEAD-HUNTED!

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2022 12:35 AM

Never question Ru! He's like Johnny Carson, who'd cut you off at the knees for good if you crossed him in any way. People like that don't really need other people, emotionally, so you can never assume your relationship is anything beyond professional. If you can manage to maintain your dignity while regularly acquiescing to their needs, you've found the difficult-to-achieve balance.

These types are extremely sensitive when it comes to getting their feelings hurt but extremely insensitive and hurtful when they perceive themselves to have been wronged or unappreciated. One might assume that the longer you've known the person, the less likely you'd be to experience their wrath, but if you let them down, they see it the opposite way, as in "how dare you treat me this way after this many years of friendship!"

You could call it "deRusional", but I do think these types to often feel they have to protect themselves from needy and ungrateful people. If you cross them, your name goes on the ignore list.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2022 12:54 AM

Delta made way too many assumptions when she should’ve had counsel and didn’t understand how important and compelling joining the union is, it’s a catch 22 because you actually have to be working on a set to get in, yet most productions won’t hire non-union. There are important benefits, job leads etc. well worth the $5000. It sounds like she was just being lazy, entitled, or uncomfortable working on strangers. If I did 10 years and won an Emmy, I would’ve sought professional counsel, and taking more classes in specifics like period hair styling, etc. to expand my reach, not keep leaning on Rupaul because 10 years is a great run!

I worked on set as a hair assistant in the 2000’s and they paid us $1800 a day, 5 grand is nothing. Delta, hunny, you needed to map it out better, they wanted you full time because if they run overtime it pays LOVELY, it’s why you shouldn’t book different projects too tight!

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2022 2:12 AM

Plus Delta was portraying herself as the center and being “kept out of the loop”, that’s not how it works. They want 100% commitment because any great production is 18 hour days, and a bunch of highly committed talent that runs tightly the entire run. They don’t have time to replace or train another hairdresser.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2022 2:16 AM

Delta was also additionally dense because she didn't think she would want to work on anything other than RPDR - the decisions she made are all so short-sighted and about what she wanted in the moment for her life.

People like Delta will ignore things that are staring then in the face because it's not convenient to see them, and then they'd have to deal with whatever had come up. So she acts like she was blindsided but in reality the signs were likely all there and she just chose not to notice them.

Even now she can't admit she made mistakes. I don't doubt she actually believes what she says, though.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2022 2:25 AM

Look, I’m team Delta because when you go that high up on the food chain, it’s really only a handful of hairdressers and makeup artists that can pull it off. HOWEVER, there’s always new talent nipping at your heels if you call out sick or wind up in rehab. Some of the very best hairdressers got their break because someone called out last minute. Also, your next job could furnish your entire wealth for the rest of your life, YOU NEVER SAY NO first bat out… my friend Brian scored Key Stylist for Law & Order and was securely employed for frigging DECADES!

The biggest mistake Delta made was thinking she was unique, irreplaceable or getting a single award or “inclusiveness” would shield her from day to day operations and budgeting outside her safety bubble. She was too quick to assume people were out to get her when they told her the show wouldn’t qualify for another award. It was a stretch to begin with.

Working on wigs and working on live actors’ hair are two very different talents, she should’ve been gearing up to do more hair outside her comfort zone and joining the union would’ve put her DIRECTLY in touch with others that could’ve shown her the way.

Playing the inclusive card or continued griping will shut more doors to her.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2022 4:54 PM

It must be sooooo tiring being a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2022 4:57 PM

I can see the disconnect if she thinks of herself as a drag queen first and a stylist second as being why she wouldn't want to give up some of her regular shows to work on AJ and this Queen. But frankly even though she is entertaining, the constant passive-aggressiveness (aka "shade") coming out of her mouth would be off-putting to have to deal with on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2022 4:59 PM

My ex boss did Jane Fonda’s cover for Vanity Fair years ago and fell into her good graces. It opened a LOT of opportunities and business- but one day he opened Instagram only to find out she’d been styled by Sally Hershberger that day. It had nothing to do with him, but she has options. In the entertainment industry, it’s one thing to hold a grudge.

But it’s dangerous to speak them.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2022 5:09 PM

nosy ass people!

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2022 12:37 AM

There's no ass people here!

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2022 12:42 AM

Career missteps aside, Delta is fucking hilarious. She's developed a cult following on Reddit for her Karen-esque social media rants about things like fast-food portion sizes. She's in her mid-40s but has huge boomer energy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2022 12:58 AM

Nice try, she's a Millennial! We don't want her!

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2022 1:00 AM

RuPaul let the ego get to his big bald head. Her styling sucks and she just looks like a cheap hooker when she does her own makeup.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2022 1:07 AM

I want to clarify what I said in R6. In short, don't ever assume you are special and don't ever lose your hustle, because business is business and people in charge don't have time to wait for a yes. It does sound as though Delta's major mistakes were in saying "no" to the wrong things and not understanding that some professional opportunities are fleeting.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2022 5:10 AM

If you read about her replacement, he’s very skilled, and has a much wider range, and trained professionally. The thing is, she could’ve kept doing her gigs, but would have had to commit fully to the scheduling and work AROUND it, celebs do this all the time . After Delta won the award, she should’ve looked for proper representation and a better manager and retained an entertainment lawyer’s advice- that could’ve shown her what steps to take next. This all requires money, if she balked at $5000, she likely needs a financial advisor as well. Drag is an expensive sport!

The joke that three drag queens walking upstairs to their apartment with overloaded with handfuls of designer shopping bags and the landlord asking “Where’s my rent?” With the reply “We don’t have any money” is so TRUE. Good luck Delta!

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2022 9:28 AM

If I was Delta at this point, I would reach out to hairdresser Garren, who’s done tons of magazine covers and propose a collaboration called “Retro” and do an Instagram set of classic looks that border on high camp. Also, the backstage saying is NEVER let the wig stylist cut your hair. She needs to bone up her skill set.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2022 11:00 AM

Idea for a limited horror series - insane drag queen wig stylist goes around scalping beautiful women and then turning their hair into bizarre wigs, with the ultimate climax being that the wigs (and a few women) are used in an ancient occult ritual to open the hell gates and summon the goddess Ishtar back to earth, where she can reign supreme forever!

The wig stylist thinks SHE will become the vessel for Ishtar, but in fact, her no-good lazy assistant is chosen, and transforms the insane wig stylist into a fox terrier for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2022 2:02 PM

R22, if you can rope Sigourney Weaver into being Ishtar, you have a hit!

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2022 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!