Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Badhaai Do: Gay-themed Bollywood movie on Netflix

Bollywood has finally been portraying gay characters in their movies in recent years, which is pretty impressive considering how homophobic South Asian society is -- the law criminalizing homosexual relations was struck down in 2018, but there's no legal recognition of same sex relationships, polls still show widespread disapproval, and many gay men and lesbians have entered into "lavender marriages" of convenience to stop pestering from their families and the culture. That's the topic of this film (released in cinemas in February, now on Netflix), as a gay cop (Rajkummar Rao) and a lesbian teacher (Bhumi Pednekar) agree to marry, but then their family's demand for children, and their respective love lives, create complications.

I have an affinity for Bollywood movies -- I love the extravagance and confess that South Asian men really do it for me -- so I've seen several of the recent attempts to portray gay characters and I think this is one of the best so far, and should be easily accessible to Western audiences -- yes, the running time is long (2 and 1/2 hours), but the script is packed with rich character detail; there are songs on the soundtrack, but only one production number, realistically set at a wedding; conforming to Indian censors, there's no kissing or sex, but the affection between two men or two women is effectively indicated. The sense of oppression-but-hope in a deeply homophobic society took me back to my own youth in the 80s in the US, and a coming out scene near the end of the film admittedly had me shedding a tear or two. It also made me realize how piss-poor American gay-themed films have been in the past decade -- this film is honestly one of the best efforts in this genre that I've seen in quite a few years regardless of national origin. And Rajkummar Rao is marvelous: magnetically sexy, uproariously funny, and deeply affecting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2023 3:28 AM

I plan on watching this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1May 7, 2022 3:05 AM

While not a Bollywood movie the Indian series Made in Heaven was very advanced for the country.

by Anonymousreply 2May 7, 2022 3:42 AM

Rajkumar Rao, the hero, is a delight to watch. Good actor, eye candy!

by Anonymousreply 3May 13, 2022 3:30 PM

Rajkumar Rao says that he has been getting scripts from Hollywood but so far hasn't found one that interests him yet.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2022 1:46 PM

Would love to see him in more international productions, he's very talented and appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2022 4:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2022 8:49 AM

Is it better than BRO or Fire Island?

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2022 8:52 AM

R2 I loved Made in Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2022 9:35 AM

Bollywood films are lame.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2022 10:33 AM

Why do they always have at least one huge musical number in a Bollywood movie. Is it mandatory?

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2022 1:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2022 7:26 AM

"Why do they always have at least one huge musical number in a Bollywood movie. Is it mandatory?"

Yes, Rose. It's very much like gun shots or car chases in American movies.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2022 9:06 AM

I liked it. The acting is very accomplished. It does seem a bit long, and after they marry there was quite a lot on traditional marriage roles that didn't seem to go anywhere. From the time when one is exposed as lesbian and then the other states his homosexuality the tone of the film completely changes and it is real! No more Dad-joking. Rajkumar Roa is very good here.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2023 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!