Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cringe VIDEO of tKim Kardashian putting on Marilyn Monroe's dress for the Met Gala

It wouldn't fit over her fat ass so she wore a fur to hide the back. I'm pretty stunned that this gypsy trash was allowed to touch this iconic dress, much more so that she actually wore it to the Met Gala. TMZ reports Kardashian wore the dress on the red carpet and then changed into a replica once inside the Met. Still, who knew that Ripley's Believe it Or Not owned this piece of history. And, apparently, anybody can put it on if they pay the price. I cringed seeing those women put it on her. Clearly, they aren't museum curators. What a shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 15, 2022 1:17 AM

Fat. Trashy. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1May 3, 2022 7:53 PM

[quote] "Still, who knew that Ripley's Believe it Or Not owned this piece of history."

I did. But these things interest me.

by Anonymousreply 2May 3, 2022 7:53 PM

Marilyn is rolling in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2022 8:01 PM

Looks like two pigs fighting under a blanket

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2022 8:08 PM

Why does she and her family get so much press coverage and attention?

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2022 8:10 PM

For their contributions to medical science.

by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2022 8:13 PM

I know I’m getting older because I find it gross that she is wearing a dress that’s only iconic because it made it so clear that Marilyn was fucking the married president. Then again, it is perfectly on brand for a Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2022 8:24 PM

Hopefully she ends up like Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2022 8:27 PM

I’m cackling!! She thought she was smaller than Monroe. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2022 8:27 PM

I actually think Kim looks great and fresh-faced in this video. It's no wonder they dress wouldn't close, Marilyn didn't have that big of a butt. Marilyn obviously didn't have the crazy proportions that Kim has. The rest of Kim, minus her fake butt looks pretty thin.

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2022 8:29 PM

That dress has herpes now.

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2022 8:30 PM

In a positive light - she looks young in the face, her skin is toned, and she is being very sweet and charming to everyone. In a negative light, she is deluded and she is Kim Kardashian pulling a vulgar fame whore stunt.

Also, I STILL don't believe she wore the original dress out of the back room.

by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2022 8:33 PM

Marilyn weighted just 117 pounds when she died. At the JFK event she likely weighed less as she slimmed for that unfinished movie.

by Anonymousreply 13May 3, 2022 8:45 PM

Did she pull an Ocean’s 8 and swap the real dress for a replica on her way home?

by Anonymousreply 14May 3, 2022 8:53 PM

Whore

by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2022 9:04 PM

Marilyn had to be sewn into the dress.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2022 9:06 PM

It's disgusting. Shame on Ripley's for allowing Kardashian, in particular, or anyone else, wear that iconic dress. It just dropped in value.

by Anonymousreply 17May 3, 2022 9:16 PM

Why the fuck did they allow anyone to wear a piece of history? She must have made a massive donation

by Anonymousreply 18May 3, 2022 9:22 PM

If she was trying to evoke memories of MM, couldn't she at least have done something with her hair? So sick of looking at this trash in that same severely tight ponytail.

by Anonymousreply 19May 3, 2022 9:40 PM

It's from Ripley's ffs, home of two headed alligators and trash like that. It's not some bastion of culture, and it is not like the dress is part of the Met Costume collection itself.

It was also so tight on Marilyn that she had to be lifted onstage because she couldn't walk up the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 20May 3, 2022 9:52 PM

Another American icon becomes Murican,

by Anonymousreply 21May 3, 2022 9:54 PM

It reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode at the country club. The one with Barbara Eden. Lucy's dress was so tight she couldn't sit down, so Ricky had to eat standing up. Ba-Ba-Loo!

by Anonymousreply 22May 3, 2022 9:58 PM

Armenian Gypsy Trash.

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2022 10:27 PM

Idk. The front V-cut looked different on the dress Marilyn actually wore. If this really is Marilyn’s dress then I’m sure it’s is stained with bronzer and self-tanner. What trash. She’ll be wearing Jackie’s pink suit to next years gala.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2022 10:34 PM

She'll have it dry cleaned first, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2022 11:07 PM

I wonder if that dress is cursed. We'll soon find out if it is.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2022 11:24 PM

This life is painful

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2022 11:27 PM

Oh....what was that TV show...some time ago. Something to do with a poisoned dress. It was a period costume.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2022 11:38 PM

Look how the straps sink into her skin.

The dress weighs 6lbs and is delicate. Hanging it off of her body is asking for distortion and damage.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2022 11:40 PM

Replica. The original had no zippers. Designer Jean Louis sewed her into the dress and it was so tight Monroe could neither sit nor walk up the stairs to the stage; she had to be lifted to the stage.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2022 11:41 PM

Was it...Criminal Minds?

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2022 11:48 PM

Ha! too tight for her fat ass. She had to lose 16 pounds to fit in the dress, but butt implants can't be reduced.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2022 11:49 PM

Her spray tan is different shades all over her body. Can Kanye kill this no-talent Whore already?

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2022 11:54 PM

Kim Kardashian tried to lose weight and make her ass smaller, and she's fucking a white guy. It's like we're suddenly in bizarro world.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2022 12:02 AM

The dress is kind of gross. It was even when MM wore it. "Skin and beads" is how it's been described. The person who wears is , for all intents and purposes, naked. To put it on Marilyn had to be "sewn into it." Of course nothing can be worn underneath it, it's too tight. I don't know how Kardashian got her huge ass into it without ripping it to shreds. Marilyn had a big ass, but Kardashian's is gargantuan.

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2022 12:05 AM

Marilyn had a shapely ass R35.

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2022 12:09 AM

This dress should be in that new motion picture of arts and sciences museum in Los Angeles. Not the tacky Ripleys belive it or not. Or the Smithsonian in Washington DC since the dress is also linked to president Kennedy. Just like Dorothy's dress from the wizard of oz.

American history is truly Fucked!

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2022 12:17 AM

Why is it this Bitch gets her way so much? Why do people bend over backwards for her constantly? She seems to beat all of the odds and always ends up with what she wants.

What the Fuck?

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2022 12:18 AM

Couldn't she have just taken her ass out for one night? I mean, it's not like should has any actual control over it to try and tuck it in while they're trying to pull it up...

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2022 12:19 AM

Marilyn was a genius at making the world think she had perfect proportions. Her tits were flopping to the side if you look at the Bert Stern photos. The way she could create an illusion of her beauty makes her one of the great Hollywood stars, if not THE greatest.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2022 12:20 AM

R38 seriously. Its baffling. I stand by that family basically making a deal with Seacrest back in the day that amounted them to owning most of the media through tmz, E channel, papparazzi, Daily Mail, Instagram, etc. Its the only explanation.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2022 12:22 AM

R28, it was [italic]CSI:NY.[/italic]

And I had the same thought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2022 12:23 AM

Kim has breast implants too. She's not fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2022 12:23 AM

She shows herself off proudly as if she was born with those dimensions and isn’t a complete Frankenstein. She has zero shame or embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2022 12:24 AM

I don't believe she wore the original, I believe it to be a copy. I've held things Marilyn wore, and no Kardashian implanted ass is fitting into them.

by Anonymousreply 45May 4, 2022 12:26 AM

Hollywood and showbiz was so much better back then. I hate today's popular culture. I live TCM and old interviews of Movie Stars from way back when I say this as a millennial. I just can't stand the shit that passes for Hollywood today.

We have no more Stars. Everyone is a celebrity today and anyone can be a celebrity. This world is truly over!

by Anonymousreply 46May 4, 2022 12:28 AM

Even Ripley didn’t believe that she could get her ass in that dress

by Anonymousreply 47May 4, 2022 12:29 AM

Her ass didn't fit, which is why she covered her back while wearing it. The photos of her with the brown paper bag type background are photoshopped to hide the opening.

by Anonymousreply 48May 4, 2022 12:29 AM

Kim bought a watch owned by Jackie Kennedy several years ago and paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for it. She clearly has something for the past. But she's still garbage.

by Anonymousreply 49May 4, 2022 12:30 AM

Marilyn's dress was ill fitted on Kim at the Met Gala. It did not look good on her. There's an air brushed photo of her wearing the dress before the event, and it looked nothing like the way it looked on her in that photo on the red carpet.

It looked like when you order something off the internet and it comes and it looks cheap and tacky in person. That's how kim looked at the Met in Marilyn's dress. Plus I think she was wearing stripper heels too? She's just so trashy and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 50May 4, 2022 12:34 AM

Everything they do and say is fake and scripted and photoshopped and filtered. Of course that's not the real dress. And no, her wide ass did not lose 16 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 51May 4, 2022 12:35 AM

How could she have fitted into the dress? She and MM definitely aren't the same size.

by Anonymousreply 52May 4, 2022 12:36 AM

Marilyn was taller too, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 53May 4, 2022 12:39 AM

[quote] Marilyn had a shapely ass

Having seen MM"s ass prominently featured in movies like "The Seven Year Itch" and "Some Like It Hot" I never got the impression. her ass was "shapely." Big, but not shapely.

There's a story about about the filming of "Some Like It Hot" about her ass. Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis and MM are being costumed for their roles; Lemmon and Curtis wear dresses through most of the movie and a guy who'd done measurements for Curtis's dresses said to Marilyn "Tony's ass is better than yours!" To which Marilyn replied "Well, he doesn't have THESE!" and proceeded to flash her tits. That sounds like pure Marilyn, who had no qualms at all about exposing her assets.

by Anonymousreply 54May 4, 2022 12:47 AM

That's right, r42, there's that one. There's another one, though. It was like a velvet "medieval" gown.

by Anonymousreply 55May 4, 2022 1:04 AM

R55, perhaps it's an episode of Criminal Minds, called "Heathridge Manor;" along with 2 deeply weird guest characters it features a vintage dress permeated with nicotine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 4, 2022 1:26 AM

R12 wasn't Marilyn a vulgar fame whore too?

by Anonymousreply 57May 4, 2022 1:28 AM

Did Kim get a facelift? From the sideview in the OP's picture, it looks like she did.

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2022 1:35 AM

Exactly, r57. That dress is known for one of the most inappropriate public performances in American history yet now they're trying to hold up Marilyn as some kind of paragon of class and virtue? LOL. At least Kim never went hit on anyone's husband. "Marlyn is turning in her grave ..." LOL this thread is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2022 1:36 AM

I totally agree, OP! For whatever reason, this has bothered me all day since I heard it. (MARY! me all you want, DL but it has.) Marilyn Monroe is an ICON and Kim Kardashian is nothing but an opportunist slut, a cancer on the face of pop culture. It's shocking that they would've allowed her to wear such an important piece of history. Plus, I'm disappointed at Anna Wintour for inviting Kim and trashy clan to the met gala..

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2022 1:36 AM

I don't believe it. MM was petite. Women in general were back then; even if they looked soft or curvier, they were still tiny sized. My grandma was like that. Just looking at photos you'd think she was plump, but her clothes were xs (I'd guess maybe a size 2 at her biggest) and she was maybe 5'0, with a size 5 for shoes. That's just her old lady proportions, because I'm assuming she was more like a size 0 or 00 in her youth, despite not looking like a toothpick.

I've heard the same about MM, where women were shocked to see her clothing in person because they didn't expect them to be so small. Women and girls on average are coming out bigger now a days, regardless of weight, just as men are. I sometimes can't believe how "big" some girls are compared to my relatives from previous generations. They usually have big structures for being so young, even the skinny ones. It's rare to see petite females anymore (but notice the same with males).

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2022 1:37 AM

I'm thinking the narcissist had a replica made, exact to the original, down to the size, thinking she'd get her fat ass squeezed in it. For some reason there's this myth that MM was a full figured bigger gal, leading people to believe she wore a (today's) size 8. For awhile she was even made the face of heavier girls promoting body positivity. I don't see that myth around as much as before because people started calling it out.

(MM had a 22" waist fit example, at her heaviest was 120lbs at 5'6, and of course KK still couldn't fit in it after losing 16lbs in 3 weeks!).

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2022 1:48 AM

Right, because we’re still supposed to believe that an iconic dress was put in peril just because diaper butt wanted to wear it to an event she doesn’t belong in.

by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2022 1:57 AM

Looks like bedazzled spanx to me.

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2022 1:59 AM

Over the years I’ve heard MM’s dress size reported as 8 - 14. Women's dress sizes are always higher than their off the rack size. Further, standard dress sizes were based on smaller measurements because women were smaller back then. If her size were to be adjusted to today’s standard sizes the number would actually go down instead of up, which makes the reported size 12 and 14 from some people utterly ridiculous. No one will ever understand how small she actually was until they stand in front of one of her costumes or dresses. She was curvy, all women wore undergarments to create a shape back then, but she wasn’t chubby nor overweight. Some of her heaviest photos were ones where she was pregnant or had just suffered a miscarriage. I think she was sick at one point too and was bloated from the drugs. There’s definitely an intention behind inflating her dress size by some people, but in the days when cameras actually added ten pounds it just doesn’t add up.

by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2022 2:12 AM

So, how exactly did they build Kim's ass? Someone said implants, but I thought they relocated fat from other parts of her body.

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2022 2:18 AM

[quote] MM had a 22" waist fit example, at her heaviest was 120lbs at 5'6,

Uh, no. At periods in her life she was much heavier than 120 lbs, more like 150 lbs or somewhat higher. She weighed only 118 lbs at her death.

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2022 2:19 AM

Yes, r56, that's it! Thank you, so it was Criminal Minds.

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2022 2:27 AM

Kim’s butt has deflated to a more realistic size in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2022 2:29 AM

in the 50's/60's the smallest dress size for a woman was size 3 then it went to size 5, then 7, etc. Size 3 would be today's size 0 or 00 or whatever the smallest size for a woman is today.

by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2022 2:31 AM

Ripley’s is an odd place for that dress to be on display. It really doesn’t even look like Marilyn’s dress when you compare photos.

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote] "It just dropped in value."

Actually, this could be a very real consequence of allowing Kim to wear it. And she only wore it for what...fifteen minutes? She changed into a replica as soon as she entered the event from the carpet. So it was all really just pointless, and an excuse for a fat whore to live out her own Marilyn fantasy.

Related to that: It's important for everyone to have confidence at any size, but I cannot TELL you how many times women have given me the bullshit about Monroe having been plus-sized, and "curvy" "just like today's women". No. She wasn't. And this is proof.

She probably would've scored more points had she worn a replica the whole time, and spoken positively on the physical and cultural value and impact of the Jean Louis gown being the reason she chose to pay homage, instead of cheapening, and further damaging a touchstone of Twentieth Century pop culture. But no. She had to have what she wanted. Money talks. Disgusting.

And I agree with Amanda Lepore: her choice of shoe was not only sacrilege, it cheapened the overall look. I don't think it made quite the impact Kim imagined, which gives me tremendous schadenfreude.

I hope this doesn't set a precedent, as discussed in the article at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2022 2:39 AM

I'm amazed she was allowed to wear that dress, that 60 year old dress. It could easily have gotten ruined.

by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote]r16 Marilyn had to be sewn into the dress.

No. A few hand stitches were put in that night in 1962 after it was on, to adjustment the fit in the back, but that was a last augmentation.

[quote]R30 The original had no zippers.

The original dress has a zipper.

From Julien’s Auctions catalogue when dress was sold in 2016: [italic]”The gown was designed as a sleeveless column dress with a scoop neck and open back with clear zipper, covered by hook and eye tab closure and a small train at the back hem.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2022 3:07 AM

The dress doesnt even look good against her skin tone and the tightly pulled back bleached hair is ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2022 3:16 AM

Surprised the fat bitch didn’t rip the dress while trying to get into it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 4, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote]R75 The dress doesnt even look good against her skin tone

Agreed. The original fabric was selected to match MM’s paler skin, not KK’s fake tan. There was never intended to be the contrast we saw at the Met Gala between the garment and its wearer.

by Anonymousreply 77May 4, 2022 3:28 AM

She looks like an alien lizard lady, awkward and lurching. What exactly was she trying to prove with this stunt, that she’s the modern MM, the beauty ideal of 2022? Because she’s not. She looks modern, alright, like “Brave New World” dystopian nightmare modern.

by Anonymousreply 78May 4, 2022 3:29 AM

She's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 79May 4, 2022 3:30 AM

Is it even really the Marilyn dress? Ripley had a painted Jim Beam I Dream of Jeannie bottle on display that said it was from the show, that most definitely was not.

by Anonymousreply 80May 4, 2022 3:37 AM

Nothing under there but tits and pussy.

by Anonymousreply 81May 4, 2022 3:40 AM

R80 the original bottle was a painted Jim Beam bottle I thought.

by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2022 4:05 AM

I really don’t think that is the dress. I remember reading that they sewed Marilyn into it, too. It made the evening run late - that was the night that Peter Lawford introduced her to the audience as “The LATE Marilyn Monroe.” After all of these years I’d bet the dress would shred if you sneezed on it. ….. About 20;years ago I was still really tiny and thin (female) back then I was about Susan Lucci’s size. On Hollywood Blvd at the Fredericks of Hollywood Museum - the nightgown that Judy Garland wore in “The Harvey Girls” was on display. It was TINY - I was little but I could tell if I had tried it on I couldn’t have pulled it over my head or gotten an arm through without it ripping immediately. I can’t imagine that was the real Marilyn dress! If it was it didn’t look great on her.

by Anonymousreply 83May 4, 2022 4:15 AM

R82 It was a painted Jim Beam bottle for the show,, but the one Ripley had was not from the show. It was a cheap one from an artist who mass produces them and sells them on EBay.

by Anonymousreply 84May 4, 2022 4:17 AM

R84 ah, that makes sense. I do think those entertainment places like that use fakes to round out collections. In actual museums they put fakes in all the time when pieces are off being restored or on loan etc.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they had gotten duped, too.

Incidentally there was this artist around fifteen years ago that made ceramic magic working oil lamps of all kinds and had two that were obviously inspired by the I Dream of Jeannie bottle, in two different colors. I bought one of each, for fun, and because I'm a completionist I bought one of each of the other oil lamps, too.

They're all packed up in a box in my garage and have been for around nine years now because I no longer have the space to display them.

by Anonymousreply 85May 4, 2022 4:22 AM

I forgot there were two different bottle designs - the first season bottle only shown in black and white, and the second season purple bottle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2022 4:39 AM

My fuck, there are so many threads on this, I am not sure which is the one to post on. Anyhow, I think Pete is completely amazed by the machinations behind the scenes of Kim changing from sweat pants to some other worldly dress that he is totally addicted to this level of drama. If that is all Pete is addicted to, then I am on board. Whatever helps!

by Anonymousreply 87May 4, 2022 8:56 AM

Those people lie about absolutely everything. That's NOT the real dress.

by Anonymousreply 88May 4, 2022 9:08 AM

R30, in the video you don't see zippers, I think it was just TMZ's usual incompetent reporting that said it had zippers.

Comparing the red carpet pics with the original in museum pics makes it look like the same dress, but I cannot imagine how that delicate fabric held up when being squeezed over her fake sausage ass.

by Anonymousreply 89May 4, 2022 9:21 AM

Hmm, the dress was part of the Debbie Reynolds collection and sold for $4.6M in 2011, but in 2018 it was in the Ripley museum, so maybe this WAS the dress?

But who would have paid $4.6M for a dress and then let someone too big wear it and possibly ruin it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 4, 2022 9:28 AM

In R72's link, there is a picture of MM in the dress. It clearly had a zipper.

by Anonymousreply 91May 4, 2022 9:30 AM

Miss Lindzey Belle would have fit into the iconic dress much better. Pete would be howling.

by Anonymousreply 92May 4, 2022 9:34 AM

I enlarged the photo r91 mentioned and yes, you can see the zipper. With the story of her having to be sewn into the dress, though, I think most people assume that was the seam that was sewn as she was wearing it.

by Anonymousreply 93May 4, 2022 9:35 AM

[quote]Some of her heaviest photos were ones where she was pregnant or had just suffered a miscarriage. I think she was sick at one point too and was bloated from the drugs.

When the "Monroe was plus size" thing was going around, I saw a lot of people use clips of that "Let's Make Love" scene where she's in a sweater and looks chubby, but they clearly didn't know she was pregnant at the time.

She also looks saggy and awful in that Some Like it Hot dress where her breasts are about down to her waistline. If she wasn't fitted properly, she looked plus size on screen, even though she absolutely was not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 4, 2022 9:38 AM

Shocking that Ripleys has 4.8 million to buy a dress. How much is annual insurance on that?

Maybe the plan was for Kardashian to rip it. Then Ripleys collects insured value, and gives a cut to Kim.

by Anonymousreply 95May 4, 2022 10:39 AM

This gets tackier by the day. What she thought would be a supreme fashion moment is a real PR disaster that leaves a bad taste behind. But, it’s done the job, more worldwide publicity and endless people discussing it (including me). I said on another thread this is not a dress to be worn just as a dress. It’s a stage costume to be viewed from a distance. It didn’t matter MM couldn’t walk in it. All she had to do was get to the microphone and stand there. It looked skin and beads but wasn’t. I read somewhere it’s actually about five layers thick in places but yes this iconic piece of American history should never have been put on by anyone after 60 yrs. If MM was sewn into on the night it wouldn’t have been the back closure, possibly the sides to get a skin tight fit and be less noticeable with her arms hiding it. But if ever there was a moment when the woman personified the created image and became the icon. This was it. Just watch the black and white footage. It also perfectly reflects the position of women in the late 50’s early 60’s. Their only worth to be a pouting, teetering, breathy, sexy toy for men. So women take note. This is what a lot of men would still like you be. Realise this fight for the right to abortion is crucial. I’m not saying abortion is right, but to take away a woman’s right to decide for HERSELF is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 96May 4, 2022 10:41 AM

This is a Taco Bell ma'am.

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2022 10:45 AM

Kuntrashian’s hair was ALL WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 98May 4, 2022 11:20 AM

I thought this thing was supposed to be a tony event. Why are all the Kardashians there?

by Anonymousreply 99May 4, 2022 11:48 AM

It was all social media influencers.

by Anonymousreply 100May 4, 2022 11:50 AM

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, that is, not being talked about."

by Anonymousreply 101May 4, 2022 12:00 PM

Marilyn is exactly like me! She just looks bigger on screen. We are both size fours!

by Anonymousreply 102May 4, 2022 1:13 PM

Pete looked cute in that video. I hope Kris is keeping him in line. I bet she can do more of that with him than with someone who already has an ego the size of the universe like Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2022 1:14 PM

Kanye canes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 4, 2022 3:18 PM

Well - that shows how truly “magical” and luminous Marilyn was - she dazzled in that dress. The optical allusion of that dress made Marilyn look fleshly and creamy and nude. That dress on Kim K looked like a spanx slip from the May Co.

by Anonymousreply 105May 4, 2022 6:47 PM

Cher had a dress similar to the famous one worn by Marilyn. Designed by Bob Mackie, it too was made of sheer flesh colored fabric and embellished with sequins and it too left little to the imagination. She was featured on the cover of Time magazine wearing it. She wore it to some event and on a talk show said that a man there approached her and said "How does it feel to be out in public naked?" He spoke the truth. The dress did make her look naked. It's a dress for someone who wants a LOT of attention.

by Anonymousreply 106May 4, 2022 9:33 PM

Bob Mackie did Marilyn's dress. He was working as an assistant to Jean Louis and designed it and supervised the initial construction. Jean Louis took over the final fittings and made a few minor changes.

Or so I've read, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 107May 4, 2022 9:54 PM

Allegedly Kim did not attend any of the after parties, opting to indulge on donuts and pizza at the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 108May 4, 2022 10:00 PM

Kim in the Marilyn dress = sloppy seconds personified

by Anonymousreply 109May 4, 2022 10:24 PM

I read yesterday that Bob Mackie illustrated the design that Jean Louis envisioned. It was (and still is) common practice for the designer to dictate the look, the illustrator to sketch the designer's vision on paper, and the dressmaker to actually make the outfit a reality. Separation of duties, but the designer usually gets all the credit.

Jean Louis already had done similar naked gowns for Marlene Dietrich, so Marilyn wasn't the first to wear such an outfit. Actresses in naked gowns with strategically cover bits goes back further to Clara Bow and Mae West. Not surprisingly, Mackie was influenced by Louis' designs, as his own later creations were often similar. Britney Spears had a version of it, a glittery nude-colored bodysuit, in her Toxic video.

Kim was an idiot to do this because she would suffer in comparison. She already slavishly copied an outfit Elizabeth Taylor wore in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (see below). She's a reductive skank who needs to piggyback onto bigger celebrities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 4, 2022 11:01 PM

“Reductive Skank” is my new drag name.

by Anonymousreply 111May 5, 2022 12:03 AM

Motherfucking whore.

by Anonymousreply 112May 5, 2022 12:07 AM

[bold]When will this BORING brain dead fake assed plastic-surgeried whore FINALLY disappear?! [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 113May 5, 2022 12:07 AM

She should maintain the weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 114May 5, 2022 1:02 AM

Ripleys has the type of clientele that will be more impressed that Kim K tried it on than the ones who care about Marilyn. .

by Anonymousreply 115May 5, 2022 1:12 AM

Losing 16lbs to wear a dress for 10 minutes. Great message.

by Anonymousreply 116May 5, 2022 1:20 AM

I wish posters would stop saying that Bob Mackie designed this dress. He was merely a sketch artist for Jean Louis at the time. He did some of the sketches for “Something’s Got to Give” but was asked to redo one of them 20 times before it was approved. He was just starting out.

The idea that he would sketch something on his own and Louis and MM would drop any ideas of their own and say, “Oh my god, this is genius, we must do it!” is ludicrous.

MM already knew what she basically wanted when she met with Louis. Louis figured out how the structure of the dress would work and chose fabrics/embellishments, Mackie sketched it under Louis’ direction, and seamstresses sewed it. Louis, not Mackie, oversaw the fittings. Jean Louis was the designer.

I don’t even know if the original sketch Mackie was employed to draw still exists. The one you usually see on the Internet was done decades later, from memory.

by Anonymousreply 117May 5, 2022 2:23 AM

The dress didn't fit even after the crash diet, and it's a fragile piece that really doesn't look that good anymore. She'd have been better off with a new replica that fit her properly.

by Anonymousreply 118May 5, 2022 2:31 AM

[quote] She'd have been better off with a new replica that fit her properly.

That's true but do you really think she wasn't wearing a replica? Do you really think Ripley's lent her a fragile as Hell multi-million dollar original to destroy by trying to squeeze her fat butt and tit mplants into it?

by Anonymousreply 119May 5, 2022 2:50 AM

Slack-jawed yokels believed it.

by Anonymousreply 120May 5, 2022 2:52 AM

I love reading the dress guru posts. They're so interesting.

by Anonymousreply 121May 5, 2022 2:53 AM

Twins!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 5, 2022 3:08 AM

JFK redux!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 5, 2022 3:12 AM

What the hell is that stomach tattoo? Is it a rhinoceros?

by Anonymousreply 124May 5, 2022 3:22 AM

I still think that dress should be in the Smithsonian or that new Movie museum in Los Angeles. Not in a tacky museum in of all places Florida!

Some Billionaire who cares about history should buy it and donate it to the proper institution for the general mass public to view it. I just when historical artifacts are not properly placed.

by Anonymousreply 125May 5, 2022 3:30 AM

Ugh I thought he was going to get those hideous tattoos removed.

Also, scandalé!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 5, 2022 3:35 AM

Dietrich

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 5, 2022 3:37 AM

5 lbs sausage in a 2 lbs skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 5, 2022 3:38 AM

I believe Kim wore the replica for 10 minutes of pictures. The dress didn't fit and she had her fur stole carefully covering the back, which gaped. You can tell by the terrible color and dry-looking fabric that the dress is old. She probably did a lot of damage to the dress, but she borrowed it from Ripley's, not the Met. Ripley's isn't a real museum and clearly cared more about the publicity than preservation.

by Anonymousreply 129May 5, 2022 3:42 AM

Ripley’s also gave her a lock of Marilyn’s hair. Fuck that. Sacrilege. .

by Anonymousreply 130May 5, 2022 3:47 AM

Ew, what did she do with it?

Is it weird that the only thing I can imagine her doing is stuffing it down her dress so it's warmed by her vagina?

What else would you do with a lock of starlet hair?

by Anonymousreply 131May 5, 2022 3:49 AM

Every textile curator in the world must be cringing at the footage of those assistants tugging and pulling that priceless, fragile fabric trying to get it over Kim's ass implants. The gloves don't do a fucking thing when you're mistreating the fabric like that.

by Anonymousreply 132May 5, 2022 3:55 AM

Kim’s gorgeous, but her body is OFF.

You cannot be that short and carry that much weight, especially around her thighs and ass.

If she were 5”10, cool, but she’s not.

She looks like the stubby legged monster from Calabasas.

Yikes.

She fucked up by messing with her body the way she did. There was ZERO wrong with her proportions before she decided to fuck with them.

Usually, you’re born with what you’re supposed to have. If you don’t have it? Go get it at the gym while you’re young. No way can any doctor make it better, when you can make it better with a bit of sweat and commitment.

She’s too young to look disfigured.

by Anonymousreply 133May 5, 2022 4:09 AM

She looks off here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134May 5, 2022 5:02 AM

Before and after. Before she could’ve fit in the dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135May 5, 2022 5:06 AM

I don't believe that was the real dress. it's probably a replica.

by Anonymousreply 136May 5, 2022 6:31 AM

only stupid cunts will think it's real. That dress is as real as her ass.

by Anonymousreply 137May 5, 2022 6:33 AM

When she performed “Happy Birthday Mr. President” for John F. Kennedy on May 19, 1962, roughly three months before her death, Marilyn’s measurements were bust: 35.5″, waist: 23.5″, hips: 33.25″. By modern-day standards, she would likely be a size 4 to 6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 5, 2022 6:57 AM

R137, try a simple google search. It was confirmed as 'the' dress two days ago by multiple sources. Thank gawd she only wore it for about 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 139May 5, 2022 7:06 AM

R129, I'm assuming you meant she wore the real thing for 10 minutes, not the replica.

by Anonymousreply 140May 5, 2022 7:08 AM

A poisoned gown was also part of the plot of Elizabeth.

by Anonymousreply 141May 5, 2022 7:12 AM

The best part about this whole thing is HI-LARIOUS footage of her as they try, so deferentially, to jam her monstrous cheeks into this wispy, decaying, *superdelicate* garment. She approved this clip for public consumption? She's insane. Everyone in the room is averting their gaze from embarrassment. It would be far less cringe-y if the dress didn't fit overall but it's SPECIFICALLY HER ASS. That's funny as hell. The look on Pete's face when he realizes that his supposed High Value Woman is actually just the prize heifer. If it was anyone else, he'd be the first person in the room howling with laughter. The Empress has no clothes....but her ass has its own zip code.

by Anonymousreply 142May 5, 2022 7:18 AM

[quote]Ripley's isn't a real museum and clearly cared more about the publicity than preservation.

It sold for $4.6M from the Debbie Reynolds collection about a decade ago, I'd assumed Ripley's bought it, so it doesn't make any sense for them to not care about preservation. If it's on loan from someone then they'd be even more concerned about preservation, they don't want to have to pay someone a couple of million dollars in damages.

From the photos, it really does look like the real dress, and I say that because you can see fabric on the interior at the breast line as well as down the middle of the dress at the seam, and it matches what we saw on Kim's dress. The sequin pattern matches. A replica never gets it right, ever, not to this level of detail.

I've circled sequin patterns that you can tell are the same on each dress. I think it's really the Marilyn dress. I think the conservators complaining about it know this is the real dress, and that's why they're appalled.

I'm kind of a nut about historical fashions and I like to compare photos with the museum pieces, so this probably seems weird to you, but to me it's a delightful and relaxing hobby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 5, 2022 7:20 AM

R135, Kim was SOOOOO pretty!

She was like an Armenian Marisa Tomei.

Her body was perfect, as was she.

She didn’t need one bit of plastic surgery. She way not have been a stunner, but she was absolutely beautiful and close enough.

There wasn’t one single thing wrong with her. I don’t understand why she put herself through all of this bullshit. I would have watched KUWTHK, had they not all looked like android robots.

Human beings enjoy real looking people. I understand that the unattainable lifestyle sells, but authenticity sells too.

by Anonymousreply 144May 5, 2022 3:25 PM

^ Why does the color look different?

by Anonymousreply 145May 5, 2022 4:07 PM

Sure Marilyn had the capacity to dazzle. The dress was also dazzling on her because it was NEW, the strass was NEW, and she was lit by huge klieg lights. Now the dress is old, limp, the crystals are dull, and there were no blinding dazzling lights on Miss Kardashian. I thought she came off sweet in the video, putting aside the stupidity and crassness of the publicity stunt.

by Anonymousreply 146May 5, 2022 4:08 PM

I mean, yes she's a vulgarian, but isn't she supposed to be rather pleasant with others, as well?

by Anonymousreply 147May 5, 2022 4:12 PM

It is the front of the dress that looks so weird and unflatttering - it looks like a swimsuit from the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 148May 5, 2022 4:24 PM

I'll never understand why Kim did that to herself. She had a lovely face and fantastic figure, including a nice ass. Why put yourself through multiple surgeries to look like a freak?

And yes, an unaltered KK could have worn the dress without being stuffed into it like a sausage.

by Anonymousreply 149May 5, 2022 5:42 PM

Seems like it is working for her...

by Anonymousreply 150May 5, 2022 6:05 PM

I love you, r143 😘

by Anonymousreply 151May 5, 2022 6:11 PM

r145 the color is washed out in that photo of Kim, here's one with better lighting. In some pictures, the dress looks gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 5, 2022 6:29 PM

Conservators outraged!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 5, 2022 6:42 PM

[quote]Monroe’s gown, the most expensive dress ever sold at auction, is made of a delicate fabric called souffle. It’s stretchy and resilient when it’s new, but becomes weaker and more brittle with age. What’s more, it’s embroidered with heavy beadwork — thousands of hand-sewn beads. “Gravity can do a lot of damage,” says Kevin Jones, curator of the FIDM Museum at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. “Whenever you move, something is giving way, even if you can’t see it. Under a microscope it would show all these little splits. And over time that would be a big problem. ”

[quote]John Corcoran, director of exhibits and archives for Ripley’s Believe It or Not, who is in charge of conservation, added that Kardashian could wear the dress only after adhering to guidelines. That included no body makeup, no alterations and wearing the garment only for the red carpet portion of the evening. “No damage occurred at last night’s event,” Corcoran said in a statement, adding that Kardashian “has become a steward — and added to — its history.”

by Anonymousreply 154May 5, 2022 6:44 PM

[quote] Kardashian “has become a steward — and added to — its history.”

Puke.

by Anonymousreply 155May 5, 2022 8:15 PM

Do you know how many ACTRESSES would have killed to try on that dress?

by Anonymousreply 156May 5, 2022 8:19 PM

r156, none of them have the money or influence of Kim. You don't have to like it but it's a fact. Hollywood knows it.

by Anonymousreply 157May 5, 2022 8:22 PM

Like it or not, this "gypsy trash" is the most photographer woman in the world. Of course they are going to let her wear it.

And why exactly is/was Monroe an icon? She was a pass around whore.

by Anonymousreply 158May 5, 2022 8:23 PM

I can imagine the smell of KImmy's filthy cunt and ass! Fucking gross whore.

by Anonymousreply 159May 5, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote]And why exactly is/was Monroe an icon? She was a pass around whore

I'm pretty sure it's because she was an incandescent actress and the ultimate cinematic sex symbol, r158.

by Anonymousreply 160May 5, 2022 8:28 PM

Well, incandescent? Not even in Niagara.

by Anonymousreply 161May 5, 2022 8:33 PM

Kim has been impregnated with JFK’s dress jizz and will give birth to the second coming of Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 162May 5, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote]Well, incandescent? Not even in Niagara.

It was just on the other day, r161, and she's a mentally disturbed noir vixen for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 163May 5, 2022 8:40 PM

Monroe in “Niagara” - divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164May 5, 2022 8:49 PM

R60 Wintour is disgusting and trashy, too.

by Anonymousreply 165May 5, 2022 8:55 PM

What would have happened if Pete's splooge leaked out of Kim's pussy or ass and stained the dress. I realize she had 4 layers of hi-tech "shape wear", but Pete's 10 inch monster shoots ropes of runny cum.

Did she learn to avoid public ass leakage from her ex-husband?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 5, 2022 9:01 PM

Niagara looked great, I'll give you that, but it was odd to see a Technicolor noir.

by Anonymousreply 167May 5, 2022 9:19 PM

[quote]It sold for $4.6M from the Debbie Reynolds collection.

I've read this more than once. No, Reynolds did not own this gown. I t was sold as part of her estate in 1999 to some finance guy in New York City who had it displayed in his co-op/town house. He died and it was sold around a year later.

by Anonymousreply 168May 5, 2022 9:23 PM

I think Pete’s in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 169May 5, 2022 11:17 PM

In the end, it's just a dress. If these curators felt so strongly about it, they should have gotten their museums to beat Ripley's bid.

I think Marilyn would be pleased that her old dress is still capable of causing such a stir.

by Anonymousreply 170May 5, 2022 11:24 PM

It's a historic dress, but not one of Marilyn's best looks. Kim looks worse in it. It's the color of dirty pantyhose. Ho.

Ray Jay announced yesterday that Kim and her mom brokered a deal with VIVID video to release the famous "leaked" sex tape. He said he never possessed it. It was always under Kim's bead in a Nike box.

Let's give that some ATTENTION: whore.

by Anonymousreply 171May 5, 2022 11:48 PM

Archivist here. That motherfucker had no business wearing that. Whoever got paid off to let her wear it should be hung, drawn and quartered.

by Anonymousreply 172May 6, 2022 12:09 AM

It was part of her estate but she didn't own it, r168?

by Anonymousreply 173May 6, 2022 12:20 AM

Reynolds died in 2016. Why would her "estate" have been selling anything in 1999? Do you understand what an "estate" is?

by Anonymousreply 174May 6, 2022 12:36 AM

I wish Kim and her whole family would drop dead. How dare she defile such an iconic dress?

What's next for her? Wiping her massive ass with the Shroud of Turin or wearing Dorothy's ruby slippers while out doing errands for a pap shoot?

Her trying to get into that dress reminded me of when Edith Massey was trying on designer dresses that clearly didn't fit her in Polyester and ripping them.

Only differences were that Edith is an icon and that scene was funny and entertaining. None of which this is.

by Anonymousreply 175May 6, 2022 12:39 AM

Ooh, the Shroud of Turin! That's a great idea, r175!

by Anonymousreply 176May 6, 2022 12:42 AM

[quote]Reynolds died in 2016. Why would her "estate" have been selling anything in 1999? Do you understand what an "estate" is?

Should've been clearer. Monroe's estate sold the Happy Birthday gown in 1999. Reynold's owned the white Itch gown that also sold for over $4.5 million.

by Anonymousreply 177May 6, 2022 1:33 AM

Monroe paid $1,440 for the dress, about $12,400 in today’s dollars. In 1999, it sold at Christie’s as part of the landmark Marilyn Monroe Estate sale, where it fetched $1,267,500, setting a new world record price for any dress sold at auction. In 2016, the dress broke that record after selling at Julien's Auctions for $4.8 million. It was acquired by Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Museum, where it remains today. It also beat the previous record for a Monroe-worn dress, the iconic halter dress from The Seven Year Itch, which sold in 2011 at Profiles in History, as part of the renowned Debbie Reynolds Collection, for $4.6 million.

by Anonymousreply 178May 6, 2022 1:39 AM

I think it would have been funny as hell if the dress had disintegrated during the attempt to stuff her ass cheeks into it. That would have been hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 179May 6, 2022 1:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180May 6, 2022 5:27 AM

Next year, Kim is planning to wear Jackie's pink suit to the Met Gala, pillbox hat included.

by Anonymousreply 181May 6, 2022 5:34 AM

R168, It was Lee Strasberg's greedy widow who allowed it to be sold. She now calls the shots on anything dealing with Marilyn's estate and they never even met.

by Anonymousreply 182May 6, 2022 5:38 AM

R127, Angie Dickinson paid homage to Dietrich by wearing a similar gown to an Oscar ceremony years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183May 6, 2022 5:53 AM

Everything about Marilyn's legacy makes a sad kind of sense. She didn't so much trust in the wrong people as much as she had no one who ended up loving her. She felt respected by Straberg and she trusted that he valued her too. His eulogy proved that and more.

The happenstance that Strasberg's third wife would end up with her things and likeness and tens of millions of dollars would probably amuse Marilyn. She didn't care that much about money and everyone in her life made money off her. She never really belonged to anyone and that's not the worst way to be. She couldn't have any idea that she would be such a beloved and beautiful ICON, 60 years after her death. And for all foreseeable futures.

That someone owned her likeness - she would hate.

Kim K wearing her dress - she would probably enjoy. It's only a dress.

by Anonymousreply 184May 6, 2022 5:59 AM

[quote]R183 Angie Dickinson paid homage to Dietrich by wearing a similar gown to an Oscar ceremony years ago.

Angie wasn’t “paying homage,” which is a conscious act… she just wanted to flash as much of her tits as possible.

by Anonymousreply 185May 6, 2022 6:14 AM

R185, Angie knew Dietrich well, then husband Burt Bacharach had been her conductor for years. Angie made Dietrich aware of what she was planning to wear and received her blessing.

by Anonymousreply 186May 6, 2022 6:22 AM

Ray J has another sex tape, this time he better hold out for a better offer. The first sex tape Pimp Mama Kris had released, it was not leaked, it was planned.

by Anonymousreply 187May 6, 2022 6:24 AM

What a crude way to look at it R185. Dietrich never looked like that. She had a whole fucking contraction and Eva Peron Holster under her "nude" gowns. Like a fucking iron LUNG. Nude illusion is a thing that Drag Queens wear too. With a whole understructure of pads, corsets, foam, rubber and many layers of hosiery. Dietrich's "nude" gowns were built over a rubber suit.

Angie Dickinson is serving A true nude illusion at R183. Like Marilyn did. A beautiful woman with a beautiful body. A few layers of souffle and beautifully placed stones over a naked body. That's a beautiful gown on a hot woman.

Dietrich was a different kind of illusion. I don't think anyone really bought it. It was polite and collective agreement. The stories of people gasping at her ageless body naked beneath the stage lights are hilarious. She looked like a very old broad, badly done up.

by Anonymousreply 188May 6, 2022 6:26 AM

My favorite dress is this "nude tits" gown in Some Like It Hot. I watched it every year as a gayling on the "4:30 Movie" in NY metro area! Though pre-gay, this Marilyn got me hot and bothered in this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189May 6, 2022 6:31 AM

Did stretch fabric of that era include elastin or rubber? Or was the stretch entirely based on the weaving technique?

by Anonymousreply 190May 6, 2022 6:33 AM

Vogue listed all the Kardashian/Jenners as best dressed that night. What happened to standards?

by Anonymousreply 191May 6, 2022 6:41 AM

Kylie dressed like a Psychiatric Hospital patient having a pretend wedding. The stout fug one wore at Thom Browne way too avant-garde and clunky for her (pregnant?) proportions and lake of elegance. Kendall looked high fashion nice but not especially fantastic, though I liked her nod to Kristen Mcmenamy make up. The horsy one looked like an over-plastic-surgeried B-list "High Class" hooker in Monte Carlo and Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 192May 6, 2022 6:48 AM

[quote] No, Reynolds did not own this gown. I t was sold as part of her estate in 1999

How was it sold as part of Reynolds' estate if it wasn't her gown?

Anyway, the confusion seems to come from the fact that the gown that sold at the 2011 Reynolds auction for $4.6M was the Seven Year Itch gown, not this gown. That was my mistake earlier, I should have been more clear.

The JFK gown WAS sold at the same Debbie Reynolds auction in 2011, but for $1.1M.

Then in 2016 it sold at Julien's for $4.8M, including premium, and was bought by Ripley's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193May 6, 2022 10:31 AM

This guy (who seems to know his stuff) does say that the JFK gown was sold prior to 2011 and was about to be auctioned again in 2011, so I think there's even MORE confusion coming from that.

Best I can tell, the JFK gown sold in 1999 to Debbie Reynolds for $1.1M, sold for about the same price in 2011 at her Profiles in History auction, and then sold again in 2016 for $4.8M to Ripley's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 6, 2022 10:34 AM

Debbie Reynolds NEVER owned the 1962 JFK gown.

The widow Strasberg owned it and allowed it to be sold at auction and the Ripley Museum was the high bidder.

by Anonymousreply 195May 6, 2022 1:18 PM

The gown was bought by a consortium of investors in 1999. Each of them was given possession of the gown for a certain amount of time each year. One investor bought out the rest and when he died, the gown was sold in 2011. I don't know who bought the gown and then sold it in 2016 to Ripley's.

by Anonymousreply 196May 6, 2022 1:25 PM

R196, I'm sure numerous people have tried the gown on, if it was passed around like that.

by Anonymousreply 197May 6, 2022 1:35 PM

But what did Kim do with the lock of Marilyn's hair??

by Anonymousreply 198May 6, 2022 1:55 PM

Burned it in a jealous rage?

by Anonymousreply 199May 6, 2022 1:56 PM

I bet underneath her obnoxious perfume, she smells like dirty Armenian snatch. She just looks like someone who smells bad.

How are celebrities like her received by the conventional Met Gala participants? She's not high society, or a business tycoon, or an artist. She's a rich twat with a fat ass and an empty head. Money never bought class, and the legitimate society types aren't afraid to call out trash when they see it.

by Anonymousreply 200May 6, 2022 1:59 PM

Kim had Marilyn's hair fashioned into a merkin so that when she dyed her hair blonde, the collar would still match the cuffs.

by Anonymousreply 201May 6, 2022 2:00 PM

Well, r182...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 6, 2022 2:11 PM

Kim is fucking disgusting

by Anonymousreply 203May 6, 2022 2:18 PM

[Quote] In order to maintain the fabric’s integrity, the dress will not be washed. It will be housed in a case, mounted on a form and covered in acid-free, cotton muslin.

Oh thats just great. That iconic dress will now smell like garlic and kofta.

by Anonymousreply 204May 6, 2022 2:35 PM

Regarding souffle, r190...

[quote]A soft, sheer, lightweight warp-knit fabric, often used for costuming in ballet and theatre. Gets its name from the French word for "a breath."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205May 6, 2022 2:43 PM

R204, Not to mention a fart or two from a nervous Kim last Monday evening.

by Anonymousreply 206May 6, 2022 3:05 PM

That's kind of gross, she wore a dirty dress and then they didn't clean it afterwards either?

by Anonymousreply 207May 6, 2022 4:09 PM

No "kind of" about it, r207.

by Anonymousreply 208May 6, 2022 4:36 PM

I was rooting for Pete Davidson until I saw he had Kim's kid's initials tattooed on him. I see he wore sunglasses on the red carpet to cover his messed up looking eyes.

by Anonymousreply 209May 6, 2022 9:17 PM

She also has Pete wearing makeup like her sister has the ugly tattooed guy wearing makeup now too.

by Anonymousreply 210May 6, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote]She also has Pete wearing makeup like her sister has the ugly tattooed guy wearing makeup now too.

I'm sure they are only allowed to wear Kylie Cosmetics.

by Anonymousreply 211May 6, 2022 10:21 PM

She wore a second Monroe dress to an after-party but I guess no one cares about that gown.

by Anonymousreply 212May 6, 2022 11:05 PM

Judging by the posts upthread, this won't be received well here, but love or hate her, Kim Kardashian is more or less the modern day Marilyn. Hyper feminine sex symbol made famous by a series of affairs with high profile men. Monroe was similarly controversial in her time as well. The comments here suggesting that Kardashian is somehow sullying the honor of pristine Marilyn are quite silly. Monroe was not exactly the vestal virgin herself ( not that there is anything wrong with that!).

by Anonymousreply 213May 7, 2022 12:58 AM

Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 214May 7, 2022 1:00 AM

She’s in no way the modern Marilyn and she proved it bu looking like poo in her dress.

by Anonymousreply 215May 7, 2022 1:02 AM

The bleached blonde hair pulled back tight is doing her no favors

by Anonymousreply 216May 7, 2022 1:14 AM

[quote] Kim Kardashian is more or less the modern day Marilyn.

No. Marilyn was magical. Kardashian is worthless trash.

by Anonymousreply 217May 7, 2022 1:25 AM

Ray J who fucked Kim in that sex tape said her pussy stinks which makes her wearing and defiling Marilyn's dress ten thousand times worse.

by Anonymousreply 218May 7, 2022 1:29 AM

Oops I put this by mistake in another thread anyway... Paris Hilton said about Kim's ass

"I would not want [Kim's butt] — it's gross! ...It reminds me of cottage cheese inside a big trash bag."

by Anonymousreply 219May 7, 2022 1:58 AM

Marilyn was light and breezy and had a warmth about her—like being wrapped in fur coat. She was soft and feminine and it came naturally.

Kim is hard and shiny, overly done, no grace or ease to her. Not kittenish at all. Just a manufactured, plastic thing.

by Anonymousreply 220May 7, 2022 2:52 AM

R213: It won't be received well because what you wrote is a false equivalency. Kim is a no-talent narcissist famous only for being famous. Marilyn had charisma. She had talent. She was a very skilled photographic model, so much that actresses, singers, supermodels, and Kardashians copy her photographs to this day. She had a flair for comedic acting. She also had a decent singing voice. She studied hard to improve on her craft and worked her way to become a legitimate star.

Kim did none of these things. She was so desperate for fame at any cost that she released a sex tape. She had Kanye repeatedly declare her to be the modern day Marilyn Monroe. Pffft! In our society filled with stupid people, repeating a lie over and over becomes the truth. Self-aggrandizement based on empty hype. Although they are both considered sex symbols, Marilyn had a lot more substance. She was interested in books and self-improvement. Kim is interested in posting the best selfie.

Marilyn was famous for her movies, years before any of her high profile relationships. Unlike Kim, she was not hungry for constant attention. Kim would post a video of her gynecological exam if she thought she could get away with it. The hundreds of Marilyn biographies mislead some people into thinking her life was an open book when she was alive. It was not. She was private. Salacious details were publicized after her death, when she could no longer defend herself. She left no heirs who could challenge the tabloid stories.

The posters here who reduce Marilyn to a pass around Hollywood slut are ignorant and hypocritical. Grace Kelly slutted it up more (particularly with her married co-stars), but you don't hear them calling her a whore. The reason why is because Grace gets a pass for having a wealthy background. It's classist. Furthermore, you certainly don't hear this criticism aimed at the men in Old Hollywood who, as a group, were the biggest sluts in town.

Marilyn, Ava, and the other actresses who came from poverty couldn't avoid the casting couch if they wanted a career. Hollywood execs didn't mess with privileged actresses like Grace, Gene Tierney, and Elizabeth Taylor or Audrey Hepburn (who had aristocratic connections). They didn't want to piss off their powerful relatives, so these women were left alone. Plus, upper class actresses were usually given the benefit of the doubt, especially by the public, no matter how bad their behavior. Actresses from humble backgrounds were assumed to have low morals and viewed as easy targets.

Marilyn is one of the few who have withstood the test of time. You think this Kardashian skank will be remembered fondly by future generations 60 years from now? You think authors will write hundreds of books about her? Puh-leeze. Kim wishes she could have the same legacy. To get attention, she had to attach herself to someone with more cachet by wearing that person's gown.

by Anonymousreply 221May 7, 2022 3:46 AM

R221 Amen!

by Anonymousreply 222May 7, 2022 3:55 AM

Bravo, R221.

Marilyn was a lovely woman. Sensitive, talented. A marketed product of her time who remains fully human and alive to people, 60 years after her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 7, 2022 3:57 AM

You can't purchase loveliness, Kim Kardashian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224May 7, 2022 3:59 AM

Marilyn could put over a song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225May 7, 2022 4:06 AM

R223 R224

by Anonymousreply 226May 7, 2022 4:21 AM

Marilyn was not materialistic and lived pretty simply. She was always striving for depth and legitimacy, taking time off to learn and reflect. No one in that kartrashion klan has ever cracked a book or tried to think about anything other that plastic surgery, ever.

by Anonymousreply 227May 7, 2022 5:32 AM

R227, The Brentwood house where she died was the only property she ever owned and it was sparsely furnished even after having lived there for months.

by Anonymousreply 228May 7, 2022 5:51 AM

I've always thought she looked so naturally sexy, voluptuous and fed on sexual candy and maybe just a few tranquilizers in this clip. She was heavier then - but in everyday clothes and non studio hair - Marilyn was even more intriguing. You can't fake that body in an ordinary dress. She's not as glamorous, but just as beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 7, 2022 6:07 AM

TIL Marilyn is a gay icon. For some reason I didn't peg her for that.

by Anonymousreply 230May 7, 2022 1:12 PM

R186 Angie must have caught Marlene when her "Fernando Lamas" kicked in.

(Dietrichs named her barbiturate suppositories after the most boring actor in Hollywood,because they put her immediately to sleep .)

According to Burt Bacharach Marlene did not bless the marriage-at all.

Movie legend Marlene Dietrich was so heartbroken and angry when songwriter Burt Bacharach wed Angie Dickinson, she created voodoo dolls in the actress’ likeness and stuck pins into them. In his memoirs Anyone Who Had a Heart, Bacharach reveals Dietrich fell in love with him when he was her conductor on a singing tour in the late 1950s – but he had no romantic feelings for her. Unused to not getting what she wanted, the movie great grew bitter when the composer fell in love with Dickinson and wed her in 1965. In an extract from his new book, obtained by the Globe, Bacharach writes, “(Dietrich said), ‘You married that cunt! That shit! How could you have done such a thing?’

“While Marlene was in South Africa, she had voodoo dolls made up to look like Angie and put pins in them.” Bacharach’s marriage to Dickinson was doomed to fail and the couple quickly grew apart. The stars finally divorced in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 231May 7, 2022 7:37 PM

R231, I read Burt's autobiography. Marlene's crush on Burt culminated with her practically offering herself to him in her hotel suite and she did not take his rejection well.

by Anonymousreply 232May 7, 2022 10:35 PM

A regulah Barbara Stanwyck/Richard Chamberlain scene, r232!

by Anonymousreply 233May 7, 2022 10:37 PM

R231, Marlene and Angie rode a few of the same cocks . . . Sinatra, JFK, Eddie Fisher, possibly more.

by Anonymousreply 234May 7, 2022 10:44 PM

The color of the dress was described at the time as "nude". To match Monroe's skin color and give the appearance under the spots that she was wearing "skin and beads". Obviously KK's complexation is somewhat different.

by Anonymousreply 235May 8, 2022 4:41 PM

Tacky slag.

by Anonymousreply 236May 8, 2022 4:46 PM

There are a lot of skanks in the world so I’m always shocked the kardasians are so popular. Maybe it’s because it’s a whole family of skanks? Usually there’s some variety.

by Anonymousreply 237May 8, 2022 5:06 PM

No, Marilyn was not a Material Girl. After her death her possessions were sold off. They were all of little actual value. She had a few pieces of jewelry; an eternity band given to her by Joe DiMaggio (when sold at auction it was missing a diamond) and a pearl necklace, also gifted to her by DiMaggio. But mostly she wore costume jewelry. She had some fur coats. But she didn't have the hoards of expensive things you would expect a star like her to have. She was unusual that way.

by Anonymousreply 238May 9, 2022 2:02 AM

There's a quite famous quote from Monroe, R238. It's on record. She said "I don't care about money. I just want to be wonderful."

by Anonymousreply 239May 9, 2022 2:07 AM

Kylie literally wore a wedding gown with a baseball cap, I have no idea what the hell Kourtney was wearing, Khloe looked like shit, Kendall looked like Beverly D'Angelo from The Sentinel and Kris was doing the world's worst Jackie Kennedy Impersonation.

Modern day Nouveau Riche.

by Anonymousreply 240May 9, 2022 6:15 AM

Money can't buy you class countess.

by Anonymousreply 241May 9, 2022 6:18 AM

Here you go r240:

What has Kendall done to her face? She looks Cro-Magnon.

by Anonymousreply 242May 9, 2022 7:43 AM

Marilyn Monroe was fucked so many times in life, then came Lee Strasberg, Anna Strasberg collectively fucked Marilyn Monroe after her death.

MM wanted her personal belongings distributed to friends and family. She most certainly didn't want her things sold off at a public auction. That iconic dress along with other pieces should have been sent to the Smithsonian or otherwise became part of a historical collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243May 9, 2022 7:47 AM

Damn - I don’t know how to post a link but another FANTASTIC Nude dress was the one that Mitzi Gaynor wore when she did the “Let GO” number - take a look at it on you tube - Kim K couldn’t hold a candle to that!

by Anonymousreply 244May 10, 2022 6:03 AM

I'm no fan of Cher... but her Bob Mackie nude, NUDE gown with some stones and ostrich feathers was the most beautiful of all time. So right for her body and different from anything done before. It's probably both of their greatest fashion moments. Iconic.

by Anonymousreply 245May 10, 2022 6:08 AM

As with anything else couture or even dressmaker items that gown was made to fit one woman, Marilyn Monroe. Not only was it fitted to her body, but she stood there for hours while beading was carefully placed to hide what should be covered, but yet still give overall illusion of nudity.

Souffle long had been known in theatre and dance circles, it was material used to create "nude" body stockings, and other garments which from a distance or viewed through camera gave illusion of bare skin.

Unlike today where such fabrics would be a blend including Lycra to give stretch, souffle of old didn't have much of that, hence not only couldn't wear anything underneath that gown, but was sewn into it on big night. That was only way to get that dress to fit so snugly. The mincing shimmy walk onto and off stage, bouncing up and down MM did likely came from that dress being so tight her movements were limited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246May 10, 2022 6:20 AM

For those like one who weren't around then.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247May 10, 2022 6:21 AM

Look carefully at "You Gotta Have A Gimmick" from film "Gypsy". All the strippers are wearing either body stockings or parts of their costume meant to imply nudity are actually made from soufflé or similar material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 10, 2022 6:24 AM

Soufflé fabric had one major drawback, it was *highly* flammable. That lead to it eventually being banned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 10, 2022 6:29 AM

Kim K looked stupid - especially the blonde hair. The dress looked good on her body, but the color was pretty bad for her.

It's an iconic and priceless dress that she should never been allowed to squeeze her ASS into.

BUT, it was never one of Marilyn's most flattering looks either. It was too tight on her and her body was too old to go without support. Her breasts looked squished and her ass was long, flabby and pretty shapeless in THAT dress.

It's a spectacular garment, but one of Monroe's least flattering looks. Her hairstyle included. She often dressed too slutty - but this was unflattering verging on desperate slutty.

Hey Kim K.

by Anonymousreply 250May 10, 2022 6:30 AM

Will the dress be devalued now that it has Kardashian stank on it?

by Anonymousreply 251May 10, 2022 2:11 PM

R246, that’s what makes me question whether the dress Kim wore really was Marilyn’s. Given all of the construction that went into the dress, could another woman, especially one with a body as modified as Kim’s, actually fit into it?

by Anonymousreply 252May 10, 2022 3:09 PM

Somone pointed out the crystals are in the EXACT same spot on Kim and on previous photos of the original dress.

But why was it NOT transparent on Kim?

by Anonymousreply 253May 10, 2022 6:37 PM

It's called nude ILLUSION for a reason. The dress is opaque not transparent. It looks different on Kim because Kim has darker skin and very different skin tone from MM. Also, the dress is likely slightly yellowed with age.

by Anonymousreply 254May 10, 2022 7:01 PM

Kim was wearing shapewear under the dress.

by Anonymousreply 255May 10, 2022 7:02 PM

Skims Shapewear. By Kim Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 256May 10, 2022 7:14 PM

The best to ever do it. Cher. Met Gala. 1974. And on the cover of TIME.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 10, 2022 7:19 PM

Cher's gown is transparent, there.

by Anonymousreply 258May 10, 2022 7:24 PM

Kim wishes. Even Marilyn would be envious. Cher WAS a knockout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259May 10, 2022 7:27 PM

[quote]r250 It's a spectacular garment, but one of Monroe's least flattering looks… this was unflattering verging on desperate slutty.

I don’t think so. MM’s figure was in good shape at the time.

The dress really shouldn’t be judged by photographs - its effect and impact were designed to be seen from many feet away, under bright stage lights.

Speaking of which, it’s regrettable that the stage crew had the dress mostly hidden behind a tall podium almost the whole time. But they didn’t know what she’d be wearing until the minute of her entrance… and the whole outfit might have been vetoed in advance had the dress’ risqué nature been known.

by Anonymousreply 260May 10, 2022 8:22 PM

Color footage (in case it’s not already been posted.) (I’m busy gluing rhinestones to my body for a trip to the store.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 10, 2022 8:33 PM

Marlene's gowns were definitely not nude. Her daughter exposed all this in fascinating detail in her book. And yes she did say they built her mother a "rubber" undergarment to give the "illusion" that Marlene had a young beautiful body. I assume by rubber, she meant contoured and padded, very much like drag queens' do.

Marlene's nude gowns were never seen close up. They were for the stage only. With good wighting.

This is a pretty interesting article on evolution of the nude illusion.

Kim K has worn much more see through garments on red carpets before. She had no right to wear Marilyn's iconic and historical dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262May 10, 2022 8:37 PM

R261 is that colorized footage or shot in color?

by Anonymousreply 263May 10, 2022 9:05 PM

I know not : )

by Anonymousreply 264May 10, 2022 9:24 PM

Dua Lipa also did a poor imitation of Cher. Although the dress is quite beautiful - Cher would never pose that way. What made Cher such a fashion knockout and desirable woman was that she never acted or posed SEXY, no matter how revealing or beautiful her clothes were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265May 10, 2022 9:25 PM

IIRC, the lock of Marilyn’s hair was cut off in the morgue by a worker who “gifted” it to his wife.

by Anonymousreply 266May 10, 2022 9:34 PM

Are you sure, R265?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 10, 2022 9:41 PM

That's the most famous photo of Cher in history, moron. There's nothing sexual about it.

by Anonymousreply 268May 10, 2022 9:57 PM

If you say so. I think you are over generalizing.

by Anonymousreply 269May 10, 2022 9:58 PM

Do you? You don't know much about much. You only post to criticize. I see you, R269.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270May 10, 2022 10:05 PM

I OFTEN post snark, but not only. I see you, hyperbolic stan. Sticks in my craw. So treacly. Cher is great. Has a lot of taste in her own way. The claim she never posed provocatively is deluded stanning.

by Anonymousreply 271May 10, 2022 10:11 PM

I've never seen the Kardashians' show, but know them (and of course, Brucilla) through media and for what they are. They don't really affect, or bother, me.

This annoys me. After sitting with it a bit, I realize that it is supposed to.

Part of the current anti-intellectual / trash celebrity / maga pathology is to bespoil the normal: trash and replace the icons, distrust the institutions, numb citizens with nonsense overload.

It is grotesque, but that's what is vying for our time and attention these days.

Fuck these people. They're gross.

by Anonymousreply 272May 10, 2022 10:31 PM

Oscar nominee turned failed sexpot Carroll Baker tried an illusion style beaded dress for the premiere of “The Carpetbaggers” in 1964. Baker called Marlene Dietrich when sent there by Paramount to secure something couture in advance of the opening, and Dietrich called producer Joseph E. Levine to chew him out for being “so stingy” as to approve Baker only ordering one dress. “With all the publicity she’s doing for you, she deserves a complete wardrobe. It’s what Mike Todd would have done!” she decreed.

Baker was okayed to buy several other outfits and Dietrich advised her on what to order at Balmain. Baker asked if it was okay to copy her famous see through gown style, and the older actress gave her some tips on the mechanics of how such a garment should be constructed and worn.

As with just about everything re: Baker in this period, the final effect was a bit less than all the hard work deserved. (I do think she’s a really good actress in quite a few roles, though.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 11, 2022 2:50 AM

Baker’s attempt at the style looked something like this in color:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 11, 2022 3:11 AM

I saw my husbear shake his penis 6 times at the urinal at local comedy club at the Sheraton downtown. That's playing with it, I'm not stupid. I’m totally sex positive and am surprised at how I felt when I saw my bf practically jerking off at the urinal. I guess he thought I was just adjusting my tinted moisturizer and powder in the mirror but I was watching him. He doesn’t know I saw him. He was standing near a callow twink obviously from the local college. I know it’s not cheating. I knew it was just a little show off since my husbear hangs really large, I must say. Yes I'm a lucky "gal". (Haha, I'm not a lady, I'm a gay man.) How do I let this weird feeling go? Well honestly do you think he "goes" with those clean and curious college boys?

by Anonymousreply 275May 11, 2022 5:05 AM

Though promoted as a sex pot she may have been, Carroll Baker either didn't have figure to carry off a sheer illusion evening gown, and for whoever made the things wasn't careful as they should have been. Of course it might also have been that Ms. Baker just didn't or couldn't carry things off.

In true sense of haute couture designer Jean Louis built MD's illusion and beaded gowns upon a firm foundation. This was key as dress fit over foundation which was meant to not just support wearer's body, but emphasis what she had, deflect or cover what wasn't desirable, and add where was lacking.

When a woman is going to wear a gown, dress or even suit made from firmer materials substantial undergarments, padding along with item in question being built upon a foundation and padded, etc...will do. Illusion gowns owing to such thin material precludes wearing undergarments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 11, 2022 5:09 AM

What makes MM's illusion gown such a tragic story is that it was private property, not part of a film studio's costume department. Marlene Dietrich had to fight major battles with film studios to obtain certain gowns she wore in films. Naturally studios considered such "costumes" their exclusive property to be used as they saw fit. MD did manage to acquire a good number of gowns or dresses worn in films, but she kept them secreted away in warehouses afraid studios would one day ask or take them back.

If MM's gown had gone straight to say Smithsonian, MET or other collection it would be in vastly better shape than today. At this rate that gown will be rags in another generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277May 11, 2022 5:27 AM

Perhaps one was a bit harsh in previous post. I mean suppose Balmain knew what he was doing, but Carroll Baker's gown looks cheap and vulgar in ways that neither Marilyn Monroe's or Marlene Dietrich's do not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 11, 2022 5:40 AM

You’re not being too harsh, r278. The very slim Carroll Baker was not physically built along traditional sexpot lines. And her natural personality was more cooly “clipped” than sultry, so she never naturally fit the blonde bombshell roles Paramount tried to squeeze her into in the 1960s.

The original Balmain dress she wore in 1964 was fine, as well as the most modest/tasteful (if that counts for anything.) The Edith Head and Oleg Casini variations that were subsequently made for Baker were, in a word, tacky. (The R276 version is the one by Head.)

But again, the Paris couture one is quite well done (even if it doesn’t really suit Baker, personally) and could still be conceivably worn today, in a pinch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279May 11, 2022 6:21 AM

Carroll Baker was a naturally bright and interesting person, BTW. And her writing’s good. Plus her acting is phenomenal in “Baby Doll.”

I like this interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 11, 2022 6:28 AM

Thank you for that R279. Dress in R276 looks like something whipped up by a competent seamstress for a drag ball. It works far as things go, but just doesn't quite hit the mark.

by Anonymousreply 281May 11, 2022 6:29 AM

So called lock of MM's hair very well may be fake. But that would suit the Kardashian woman as nearly everything about her also is false.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 11, 2022 6:35 AM

When is last time any of your girls have seen a sales receipt from Lilly Daché Beauty Salon?

Mother's were from "Mr. Gerard" and always faintly smelled of an odd mixture of hairspray and CHANEL N°5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283May 11, 2022 6:38 AM

Can the hair be cloned? Kim will probably pay to do that, then raise the Mini Marilyn.

That awful Kris Jenner, who thrust her awful devil spawn on us all, can manage her.

by Anonymousreply 284May 11, 2022 6:43 AM

They should have invited Amanda and given HER the MM dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 11, 2022 10:58 AM

[quote]This annoys me. After sitting with it a bit, I realize that it is supposed to.

Agreed r272, the purpose of this was to entertain her fans and make the haters angry. People in entertainment and media figured out back in the 1990s that you can increase your reach by basically trolling, playing both sides, and doing awful things to get attention.

Not that this wasn't happening in the 1970s, but there was a constant undertone of all the crazy 1970s stuff not mattering, that cultural moments and entertainment were essentially disposable. It was a reaction to the very real and tangible turmoil of the 1960s.

These days, people are miserable and often for no real reason, they're spoiled and resentful, they're trashy but they don't want to admit it, so they seek to tear things down until the world is at their own cheap level. That's the kind of fan the Kardashians are courting. No one normal or content is going to be a fan of some purposely deformed, low-intelligence gutter slut who only became famous because her trashy dad helped a murderer dispose of evidence and then she did a porno by pretending it wasn't a porno.

by Anonymousreply 286May 11, 2022 11:30 AM

R190

True "French" soufflé was a tricot sort weave material made from silk. Fabric does have some stretch, but as silk in general is a very strong fiber, it also isn't very resilient.

Ironically silk is rather flame resistant. In early days of aviation stewardesses were required to wear stockings made from silk. This was because in case of fire (and there were many crashes in those early days) silk wouldn't burn as readily compared to nylon. Silk was the preferred choice for stockings until dethroned by nylon. The latter is more sheer, has better stretch and resilience so ladies had less bagging at ankles and sagging at knees.

Back to MM's dress, she paid $12k for it at the time, and it was custom made to fit her to the ground. I don't care what Ripley's says and now much PR they've gotten out of this deal; shoving Kim Kardashian's silicone enhanced rear and bosoms into that dress must have caused damage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287May 11, 2022 12:37 PM

This bitchy boy knows his FASHION. For real. The whole video is fascinating, funny and informative. For his comments on Kim K - go to the 30 minute mark. He's on the mark. He nailed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 11, 2022 11:57 PM

That "dress" seems more like a costume. I remember MM wanting to wear a gold lame gown she'd worn in a movie to some awards show. I think it was Fred Travilla who designed it. I think it was he who tried to discourage her from wearing it. He reportedly told her she was "too fat" to wear it and she said "I'll take colonics." Then he told her it was not a dress, it was a costume. But she did wear the dress to the awards show and made a big splash. A columnist said her ass looked like "two puppies fighting under a sheet."

by Anonymousreply 289May 12, 2022 1:06 AM

There's that great line in Some Like It Hot when Marilyn says something to Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon then turns and walks away. They stare at her jiggling ass and Curtis says to Lemmon "Jello on springs."

by Anonymousreply 290May 12, 2022 1:16 AM

R290

That would be early in film "Some Like It Hot", when Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon newly transformed in drag are walking towards train they will board to get out of town. Jack is complaining about walking in high heels, the undergarments and in general trying to pass as femme. Tony's character tries to calm him down; then camera cuts to "Sugar" (MM) doing her jiggle runway walk on her way to train. Jack and Tony gaze at MM, then as she passes camera cuts to her derrière. Jack says "look at that, it's like Jello on springs"......

MM's jiggle walk is pretty standard for runway models and any other women or trans that knows how to walk in high heels. You just arch one foot in front of other which gives a bounce to your step, the rest is just "Jello on springs"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 12, 2022 5:33 AM

R289

Dress you're referring to was created by William Travilla and one of many "costumes" he did for MM for film "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

MM loved that dress (another that was custom fitted to her body, and so tight she had to be sewn into the thing), and wanted to wear it to 1953 Photoplay awards ceremony. While MM loved the dress and it clearly a knock out, censors and studio suits had issues. It was considered a bit too much and as such in film you never see MM full frontal in the dress.

Due to provocative nature William Travilla yes, likely tried to talk MM out of wearing that gold dress to award dinner. But ever one with a keen sense of self PR, MM held her ground and wore the dress, which caused a minor (or major) scandal. Joan Crawford attended same award dinner and called MM and dress "vulgar".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292May 12, 2022 5:42 AM

More..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 12, 2022 5:46 AM

Debbie Reynolds ammased a huge collection of costumes used in Hollywood films including many iconic pieces. Two of MM's most famous, that gold halter dress and white "subway" dress were part of her collection.

Of course no one could have foretold MM's fate, and that in death she would turn into a larger than life iconic figure. To studios costumes were just that, things to be used (and often heavily reused), then cast aside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294May 12, 2022 5:49 AM

Before her death Debbie Reynolds held the mother of auctions where good amount of her Hollywood costumes and memorabilia collection was sold off. Most if not all of things worn by MM went up for bidding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 12, 2022 6:03 AM

Part II of said auction.

Debbie Reynolds had lots of stuff. IIRC there was still plenty of Hollywood things left when she died which her son (also IIRC) later auctioned off as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296May 12, 2022 6:05 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 17, 2022 10:05 AM

If the dress has never been laundered, it must stink.

by Anonymousreply 298May 17, 2022 11:52 AM

I don't think she wore the original dress.

The dress was made for Marilyn and it was sewed on her, not even her could enter that dress in another way, and they want us to believe that Kim Kardashian can """fit""" that dress? With the risk it could fall apart if she fart by mistake? It's impossible.

by Anonymousreply 299May 17, 2022 12:26 PM

R299 it's claimed that Kim lost weight so as to be able to get into the dress and that she only wore it for a very short period of time before switching and putting on a replica of the dress.

by Anonymousreply 300May 19, 2022 1:26 AM

"Marilyn could put over a song."

Could she ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301May 19, 2022 1:39 AM

Debbie Harry wore this Marilyn dress and the fire singed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302May 19, 2022 3:09 AM

The damage done to the dress by Kim wearing it to the Met Gala:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303June 14, 2022 5:26 PM

Apparently the dress WAS damaged (how could it not have been?) by having Kim Kardashian squeeze her gargantuan ass into it:

Marilyn Monroe’s 1962 “Happy Birthday Mr. President” dress appears to have sustained damage after Kim Kardashian wore it to the Met Gala in May.

On Monday, the pop culture collector Scott Fortner, who oversees a website dedicated to promoting an archive of memorabilia related to Marilyn Monroe, shared multiple images of the nude sequined dress, the back of which appears to have sustained minor tears down the back with some of its crystals lost.

In an Instagram with pictures that appeared to show the dress before and after Kardashian wore it, Fortner described portions of the garment as “literally hanging on by threads.” Fortner said the “after” picture was shared with him by a visitor who saw the dress displayed at Ripley’s Believe it Or Not in Hollywood on June 12.

by Anonymousreply 304June 15, 2022 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!