Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barry Season 3

Anyone else watching? It’s great so far, and definitely a lot darker than the first 2 seasons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2022 1:47 AM

I was so sad that newfound boyfriends Noho Hank and Cristobal had to break up already because the Bolivian death squads came to kill the Chechnens. Poor NoHo.

The first episode didn't grab me, and I am a huge Barry fan and have been so eager for the new season. But tonight's episode - holy shit. That ending was *dark*.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2022 4:59 AM

I love Hank and Cristobal— nice reveal this episode that he has a wife and kids back home in Bolivia though! He and Hank seemed like they had such a nice little life together :(

I’m actually really interested in Sally’s story this season, how easy she was able to just shrug off Gene now that she has her big job AND she was able to stand up to Barry (something she wasn’t able to do her ex last season) and yet as soon as she gets home she puts together a nice meal and buys him a gift… even though he screamed at her and pinned her against the wall!

And yeah, the Gene stuff is brutal. Crazy from how Barry went from not wanting to kill the little girl last season to flat out threatening to murder Gene’s son and grandson. I think this will be like a reverse WandaVision— he will finally get the “family” and the career he’s always wanted but they will be Stockholmed/blackmailed to him instead of genuine relationships

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2022 5:23 AM

This season may be too dark for me.

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2022 11:01 PM

I keep seeing this on my stream. What is it about?

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2022 11:06 PM

R4 Bill Hader plays an ex Marine turned hitman who decides to become an actor

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2022 12:28 AM

I see they’re going the Breaking Bad route where instead of the expected redemption arc for the protagonist, he descends into darkness. But I guess there really is no redemption for a contract killer.

Sally was annoying me at the start but the way she regressed into her former abused wife role was truly sad. Though I also find the interactions between her and her former classmate turned assistant played by D’Arcy Carden hysterical. I love the commentary on how weird Hollywood can be.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2022 12:54 AM

The Rip Torn gift and note was hilarious. It makes me laugh even a week later.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2022 4:57 AM

I think Noho Hank is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2022 5:06 AM

I don’t think Sally’s teen co-star is long for this world. Really liked the scene between her and D’Arcy Carden

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2022 11:07 AM

Noho Hank deserves a spin-off.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2022 3:25 PM

The scene with the Lesbians and the dogs really cracked me up. And Winkler is still very, very good. However, the show is becoming too dark. There is no redemption now. Like R6 said above, too breakingbad-ish. At least, I hope Noho and Cristobal find everlasting love.

by Anonymousreply 11May 10, 2022 8:21 PM

Are these guys gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2022 11:02 PM

Shit, I still haven’t seen season 2. Loved season 1.

by Anonymousreply 13May 10, 2022 11:41 PM

R12 Yes, they are a gay couple and one of the best parts of the show

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2022 5:01 AM

How did Couscous get out of the trunk? And it was hilarious when he was trying to get home and then Barry beat him there.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2022 5:46 AM

Emmy winning? I never heard of it? Do they give every show an Emmy these days?

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2022 6:39 AM

Noho Hank is hilarious. In the last episode his "I'm legit nervous" is priceless. Anthony Carrigan's delivery is flawless.

by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2022 9:24 AM

I think the Chechen lady can do better than Fuches...just my opinion. What jappened to her burly husband?

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2022 2:18 AM

Awww Hank and Cristobal! Glad they are okay, you could tell Hank was genuinely moved that Barry thought to save him

Great acting by Sarah Goldberg. Even though she can be a bitch, it was great to see Sally so happy and take some control. The little argument between her and Barry (what, I’m not allowed to have a bad night?!) felt very real

And I loved the scene at the end, where the mom and son are contemplating in full volume why they need a gun to kill Barry in front of the gun salesman, and the salesman has no problem with it lol

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2022 5:17 AM

“Cristobal and I thrive on honesty!”

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2022 6:56 AM

I'm surprised this show isn't getting more discussion provided that the Noho Hank and Cristobal romance is still on and is now getting pretty scary with Cristobal's wife, Elena entering the picture. That showdown at the plant farm was so fucking funny I was pissing myself.

The scene with Barry telling Sally how he can terrorize her producer was wild. Great delivery by Hader.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2022 1:12 AM

I felt so bad for Hank, and I love how he was hiding from her in a closet of all places. I’m curious to know if Elena always knew about Cristobal and his real sexuality… still, I feel bad for Elena. She just lost her dad and found out her husband is shacking up with another man while she is raising his kids in Bolivia. I’m guessing Hank was never told about the wife and kids either

Also great scene at dinner with Gene! Henry Winkler is giving his strongest performance to date. I just feel so bad for him.

Honorable mention: Barry’s homemade collage for Sally, which had me in tears

Only 3 episodes left, and I have no idea what’s going to happen next, which is a cool feeling. I feel like every episode this season feels like an episode that would be a finale in other shows. I’m guessing it will be a big showdown with Fuches Avengers-esque team he’s assembled.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2022 1:42 AM

Also, I really hope the next person Fuches ropes in is the little girl from last season who nearly killed Barry. But unfortunately I think she’s gone forever

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2022 1:46 AM

[quote]I’m guessing Hank was never told about the wife and kids either

He hasn't which is why R20 singled out his line about honesty, and why Cristobal gives the thousand year stare as he repeats it to Barry. "Yes, Total honesty." He's not been honest with Hank at all.

The way the camera was positioned on Hank's eyes through the slats of the closet door as he sees Elena breaking up because she's realized her husband is in love with someone else was so effective. You could see a dozen emotions going through those eyes. The cast is really hitting it on all cylinders.

I am feeling bad for everyone except Barry. And Elizabeth Perkins' producer character. I loved how she was wishing she could get someone to answer their questions but that someone would be her and she wanted to know if that tracked for them. So dead on.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2022 2:24 AM

There is going to be a S4! Yay!!

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote]Honorable mention: Barry’s homemade collage for Sally, which had me in tears

Harder is doing a discussion podcast after each episode and he mentioned the collage was inspired by the movie Thief, right down to the Willie Nelson photo (who co starred in Thief.)

The whole bomb app/SuddenlySeymour1985 scenario cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2022 11:41 AM

So many hot Bolivians this season!

by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2022 1:28 PM

That motorcycle chase was insane. What a wild episode.

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2022 4:19 AM

This really was an insane episode, every time Barry is on screen I feel like I’m watching a manic episode. The scene where he is dictating a text message to his phone had me rolling

Fuches, you in danger gurl. Can’t wait for next week!

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2022 5:35 AM

The scene where he is using talk-to-text was like watching myself, lol.

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2022 6:21 AM

Beg-nets by Mitch

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2022 10:56 AM

I have a sinking suspicion that Gene is going to take some of the fall— he took the money Barry gave him and gave it to his son, and then suddenly his career takes an upward turn due to his association with Barry.

Great work by Stephen Root at the end, nice to see have something to do because he’s been sidelined most of the season. Although I had to suspend my belief that Albert would be mindfucked by a guy like Fuches

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2022 5:37 AM

Hard to see how this becomes a Season 4. The first couple of seasons were surreal comedy, and this season the darkness deepens... Hader presents a character that is funny on the surface, but totally broken and dangerous at its core. Don't need another season to continue ingesting the hilarious poison (sic, foaming at the mouth).

It's so well made though... moving so quickly and the fast pace is countered by camera work that sometimes is so focused and slow. And details... the poor man slumped in the car at the hospital with a bullet hole in his head: a split second resolution of his "moral quandary" in the earlier scenes.

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2022 3:40 PM

I agree, it is so much darker this season, it makes me really worry about S4. But Hader has been doing a terrific job directing these episodes. This last one - that fantasy sequence of the neighborhood dissolving into the ocean was a knockout. I used to have dreams like that, too.

And Sally's meltdown was amazing. I feel like she might go back to Barry and get him to fuck with Natalie.

[quote]Although I had to suspend my belief that Albert would be mindfucked by a guy like Fuches

What do you mean by this? You think that Albert's going to kill himself the same way that Janice's dad talked a Viet Cong into killing himself? I think Albert is off to find Barry to help him/protect him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2022 6:18 AM

Bill Hader? I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2022 7:17 AM

That was dark. The final shot was terrific.

So Barry in prison with Fuches for season 4?

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2022 10:35 AM

Ok, was anyone able to make sense of Hank’s scenes? At first I thought it was a hallucination with the breaking of the walls, but it’s real? What was attacking the other guys? It seemed way stronger than a dog. Oh well, glad he and Cristobal are still together.

And the scene at the end with Janice’s dad alone at the house when everyone leaves is heartbreaking. Even though Barry is arrested, he will never have his daughter back.

Season 4 will definitely be Fuches (now The Raven, lol) and Barry in jail, and maybe Sally, Hank, and Cristobal on the run. Looking forward to it!

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2022 11:19 AM

That relentless hum throughout the episode was so effectively unsettling. What's Sally gonna do in Joplin? What is there to do in Joplin?

Hopefully Cristobal recovers from that DIY conversion therapy, man that was horrible.

r37 I assumed it was a (starved) leopard since they're in Bolivia.

by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2022 11:22 AM

I saw just now that the animal was confirmed to be a panther.

by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2022 11:23 AM

It would be kind of funny if Sally becomes the Gene at some community theatre or high school. This season brought up that Gene ruined a promising career because he was being an asshole, and that tracks with Sally’s rant against Natalie in the elevator (although who doesn’t sympathize with her there?!)

Bill Hader also said in an interview that Sally and Hank are forever changed after killing people which… ok, I totally get it for Sally, but Hank was there for and orchestrated the murder of Ryan, ordered the killing of Esther, asked Barry to bomb a house, and has no problem holding people hostage (one of my favorite moments from season 1 is Hank very casually, with no malice at all, tells Fuches they are looking for him and to not hide because they will find him and kill him)

Cristobal has small children so maybe he feels guilt over taking away their mother. Are Cristobal and Hank going to raise the kids in their New Mexico ranch?

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2022 11:36 AM

Sarah Goldberg deserves an Emmy for her work this season.

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2022 1:20 PM

Hank's performance in this last episode was super amazing too!

by Anonymousreply 42June 14, 2022 3:47 AM

I agree that S4 will be prison and escape by Barry and Fuches and maybe a happy ending of Barry and Sally in the Witness Protection Program with a musical dream sequence ending of all the characters like the end of 40 Year Old Virgin.

by Anonymousreply 43June 14, 2022 3:49 AM

R38 there was a hum? I didn't hear that. Will have to rewatch!

by Anonymousreply 44June 14, 2022 3:50 AM

I’m DYING over not being able to see Season 2! I don’t have cable and always wait for DVDs to be released and there has been no information on when it will come out, if ever.

I think this show is brilliant. I could watch on Prime Video if I absolutely have to but watching on a phone is so much less enjoyable that I’m holding out.

I adore Noho Hank and even Fuches, but Bill is the guy. He is all my dreams fulfilled and a brilliant actor. I can even appreciate that little blonde as an actress because I find her character so intolerable. Sarah Goldman, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 45June 14, 2022 4:29 AM

Whatever happened to Laura San Giacomo? Haven't seen her in a single thing between this and Just Shoot Me. Theatre?

r45 Yeah, they announced the DVD in 2020 and then the whole thing just disappeared. Perhaps they'll release it along with the third one, which has also been confirmed for DVD release. I doubt they'd just skip it.

by Anonymousreply 46June 14, 2022 10:53 AM

I'm proud of myself for recognizing Maya from Just Shoot Me. She really hasn't been in anything in 20 years. Now that was a not-terrible sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 47June 14, 2022 10:58 AM

Bill was cute in Season 1 but he looks like hell in Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 48June 14, 2022 11:47 AM

Yeah, it was a bit shocking to see his gaunt face in the Season 3 opener, and people even joked that this is what the pandemic has done to him. But I think it tracks with the story, since he's spiralling into madness this season.

I wonder if San Giacomo had her career derailed by someone, just like her character in the show.

by Anonymousreply 49June 14, 2022 11:52 AM

Thank you for giving me hope, R46. I’ve googled endlessly and have really gotten nowhere with it. Particularly when I hit the same question as mine on Reddit (“When will Barry Season 2 be released on DVD?”) and see answers suggesting that we just need to be patient until 2019. !!

by Anonymousreply 50June 14, 2022 3:26 PM

Bill Hader has been dating Anna Kendrick. She’s probably drained the life out of him.

I think San Giacomo had a child with disabilities, and that’s why she disappeared for a while, to be a full time mom.

by Anonymousreply 51June 14, 2022 5:01 PM

Aah, thanks, had a feeling it was either sabotage, theatre, or just good old motherhood. A special needs child explains it.

Such a blast from the past when she turned up, I'm rewatching some of the best episodes of Just Shoot Me as a result.

by Anonymousreply 52June 14, 2022 5:07 PM

R37 and R39, do you remember early in the season when the woman in Fuches’ hideout told the folklore story of the spirits given a chance at either going to heaven or getting revenge? The ones that wanted revenge were turned into panthers.

by Anonymousreply 53June 18, 2022 4:53 PM

r53 Ah, yes, good call. Love how they tied it neatly together like that.

Another exquisite bit was Sally responding with "oh, you do" in the season finale, which sounds exactly like "love you too" when mumbled. In fact, some translators got it wrong and the Spanish subtitles for example said "love you too", despite "oh, you do" being in the script.

by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2022 5:02 PM

Is Joe Mantegna ill?

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2022 12:56 AM

I love that Laura San Giacomo looks like a regular person. 1962 Baby!

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2022 1:04 AM

San Giacomo has been in a few things since Just Shoot Me--usually small recurring roles.

She was reunited with one of her Just Shoot Me co-stars on Veronica Mars playing a potential love interest for a few episodes.

She was also one of Janine's (Smurf's) lawyers on Animal Kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2022 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!