Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Fair Lady (1964)

What a beautiful, elegant, and timeless film. One of the best ever made.

Directed by the legendary George Cukor.

Based on the spectacular libretto and music by Lerner and Loewe.

Audrey Hepburn gives an iconic performance as Eliza Doolittle. Marni Nixon dubbed the singing.

Rex Harrison as Professor Henry Higgins is one of my all-time favorite movie characters.

The supporting cast is divine: Wilfrid Hyde-White, Stanley Holloway, Gladys Cooper, Theodore Bikel, Mona Washbourne, and Jeremy Brett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 8, 2022 7:14 AM

My personal favorite golden age movie musical. Have it on 4K Blu-ray and watch it at least once a year.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2022 5:33 PM

just another film about the misogyny of gay men gentrifying the poor, fetishizing minorities, and causing them to become fully dependent upon them then abandoning them when the novelty has worn off... this is exactly why feminists believe they shouldn't adopt or use surrogacy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2022 5:35 PM

My big pussy

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2022 5:37 PM

R2 but Higgins is not gay and falls in love with Eliza?

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2022 5:37 PM

I heard that George Sanders was going to play Colonel Pickering but had to drop out last minute. Same for Michael Hordern as Alfred P. Doolittle.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2022 5:39 PM

r4 how else could he attract a twink without her? of course, he "missed" his toy, is property, his chattel prize, the future womb of his gay babies.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2022 5:43 PM

It’s a perfect film. I know Julie Andrews should have been cast. Yet somehow I don’t know if it would have seen the same magic Hepburn brings to it as Eliza. I guess Andrews would have made it her own.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2022 5:43 PM

R4 he (or she) has to be a troll

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2022 5:43 PM

R8, R4 is currently on the AIDS thread effectively saying those who died deserved it due to promiscuity!!

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2022 5:48 PM

You bet she could made it her own because she was sensational on stage and at the height of her vocal powers. Hepburn, and I love her, was old for the part and then there’s the now awkward sounding dubbing of a completely different voice. Otherwise a great film and Freddy is a cupcake. Harrison is great as are all the supporting characters. .

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2022 5:49 PM

r8 you think the subjugation of women is a joke? if she couldn't produce, he probably buried her in the cellar with the other failures and proclaimed himself "Liza!" dropping the E because you can't do proper jazz hands saying Eliza! It just looks wrong., This is whole film is just a tranny training guide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2022 5:51 PM

Rex Harrison was an old fart sexist pig who contributed to the death of Carole Landis and cheated on all his wives. He was also far too old and stuffy for the lovely Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.

Still, I love the movie and watch it whenever it pops up on TCM. The music, sets, fashions, and charm are fun. It's from another era that I enjoy visiting from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2022 5:51 PM

It’s very faithful, but it’s so stilted it comes off as an embalming of the Broadway musical

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2022 5:53 PM

I agree the dubbing should never have happened. In fact, wouldn’t it be lovely sounds wrong with this operatic voice chiming out.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2022 5:53 PM

r9 Nope. You can track my stupidity by the routine mistakes I make with typing and grammical errors, do the block then see who you blocked and unblock trick, or just ask me. I've wasted most of my time today on the new homophobia thread and the hate being a canadian,

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2022 5:55 PM

I love old-time Hollywood stories and books. I have yet to read a good word about Harrison as a person. Evidently, he was a giant asshole.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2022 6:01 PM

I never heard about George Sanders but James Cagney was first choice for Dolittle and Cary Grant and Peter O'Toole were the first and second choice for Higgins. When they fell through Warner and Cukor wanted Harrison to do a screen test. I believe he declined. Rudely.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2022 6:04 PM

He didn’t think he could do the part on film because he couldn’t sing and acted his songs in speak sing. For the film they wanted him to prerecord the songs and lip sync to them. Harrison said he couldn’t do this because he performed the song differently each time. Therefore, for the film they allowed him to speak sing as he performed on camera. Then the reverse happened and the songs he performed on camera were extracted from the audio and put onto the soundtrack.

But that’s why he turned it down initially.

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2022 6:29 PM

Ugh, fucking hate this movie. Audrey Hepburn was completely miscast and Rex Harrison was a grouchy old 300-year-old man. The dynamic between the two of them was downright fucking creepy.

by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2022 6:29 PM

Rehearsal footage, showing Harrison being a dick starting at 4:50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2022 6:40 PM

My Fair Laddy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2022 6:40 PM

Is it true that Elizabeth Taylor wanted this role? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2022 6:42 PM

I think she was in the mix, r22.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2022 6:44 PM

In that video at r21, it’s especially good at 7:40 when he demands that the verse’s orchestration for “An Ordinary Man” be removed.

It wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2022 6:45 PM

Yup, Harrison was an asshole- I met him- he pursued and dated a friend of mine (she about 10 years older than me) . She was Halston’s couture client director- a real class act. He was cordial but I did get a creepy vibe. Nevertheless he was brilliant on stage and in the film.

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2022 6:47 PM

My friend wrote Barbie Girl! Ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2022 6:47 PM

Fun fact: Stewie Griffin's voice and the British accent were based on Rex Harrison. The more you know!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2022 6:48 PM

[quote]I agree the dubbing should never have happened. In fact, wouldn’t it be lovely sounds wrong with this operatic voice chiming out.

Just as with Natalie Wood in "West Side Story," Audrey Hepburn wanted to do her own singing in "My Fair Lady" and pre-recorded all of Eliza's songs, even lip-syncing to her own tracks during filming. Of course, her voice wasn't up to the task, This made the job of dubbing more difficult for Marni Nixon (according to an interview Nixon did), because, in recording the songs, Nixon had to match Hepburn's lip movements. Both Wood's and Hepburn's vocal tracks can be heard on YouTube. Wood sounds slightly better than Hepburn, who can't even stay on pitch.

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2022 7:07 PM

Audrey was certainly a better choice than horsefaced Julie... and Rex, the creep factor comes to some people, I think, because they had good chemistry together. . . just as he did with Wilfrid. And, Wilfrid with Audrey as well. We get this strange (queer) family dynamic between them all.

For the character, she needed someone that was a more father figure type character but in which the audience wouldn't be attracted to.. he presents stability and tough love more than 50 shades of gray vs her own father that was ready to pimp her out for a handout.

I'm more willing to look at the end as platonic love affair -more akin to not knowing he needed that kind of love in his life. Not so much a romantic partner but in essence, having a child and rushed thru story of watching her mature into a woman -- a possibility that could never naturally occur for him, especially being a bachelor for such a long period. So, through his story, we go through more the tales of a confirmed bachelor that's finally learning to settle down, invested in something outside of himself despite some might argue this is a vanity project but nonetheless, his obsession is less with himself and the bet than it appears. .he becomes emotionally invested, perhaps, for the first time in his life.

Col. Pickering is what brings the softer touch to both characters with his infatuation with Higgins. . . the casual hookup that never quite left and just happened to enter the scene at the same time Eliza did. He's the bridge between the two. Whereas Higgins represents tough love, Pickering is the nurturer.... either one being a better father than she had. . . and various female role models appear in the film, but they're initially hesitant as well. . . from the household to his own mother... albeit, his mother with a catty grin, acts as many a grandmother would in finally having revenge through him experiencing what it's like to be a parent and watching her son grow, with a swift kick to the derriere, into a man.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2022 7:29 PM

TL;DR

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2022 7:31 PM

There was nothing innovative about Bart Sher's ending. He stole it from Ingmar Bergman's stage production of A Doll's House which ended with Nora walking up the aisle of the theater and slamming the door on the audience. It doesn't make sense for Eliza to come back to say 'I washed my face and hands I did' and then immediately exit through the audience. It's nonsense. If you're going to have the courage of your convictions it should just end with Higgins singing I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face, finding himself in the loneliness of his house and playing the recording of Eliza's voice. Then curtain.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2022 8:25 PM

Honestly, I don’t care for it at all. Hate that movie.

by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2022 8:32 PM

[quote]should just end with Higgins singing I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face, finding himself in the loneliness of his house and playing the recording of Eliza's voice.

…while masturbating. That’ll shake up this tired old play!

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]Audrey was certainly a better choice than horsefaced Julie

No, Matt, she wasn’t. She was a piss-poor choice for a role she wasn’t suited for.

by Anonymousreply 34April 22, 2022 8:34 PM

R29, who is Julie?

by Anonymousreply 35April 22, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]who is Julie?

Julie Newmar, Rose. Cat Woman was up for the part of Eliza Doolittle.

by Anonymousreply 36April 22, 2022 8:57 PM

I believe Julie Christie was in the mix also.

by Anonymousreply 37April 22, 2022 9:14 PM

Oh for chrissakes, they were referring to Julie London!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 22, 2022 9:29 PM

r34 by aesthetics, she was the perfect fit. . .

this wasn't a stage production, dahling,.

We needed someone that could from pauper to convincing Princess. . . not bargain bin nanny.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2022 9:33 PM

I think it's a vastly overrated film. Rex Harrison was just too old. And everything already said about Audrey Hepburn being wrong as Eliza is true. Way over the top. I'm not sure who I would have cast but she would have to be young and able to sing.

But it's Cukor, with his lingering on AH's face, the flowers, etc. and the soft focus? Ugh. All the supporting roles are much better than the stars, probably because Cukor left them alone.

Had they waited a couple of years to make it, I'd have loved to have seen Peter O'Toole as Higgins and Leslie Ann Warren as Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2022 9:54 PM

Sure, r40...sure...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2022 9:57 PM

Well, Shaw certainly gave Eliza a spine at the end of the original play, "Pygmalion." I've never read the play, maybe I should. From a google search... At the end of the play, after an enormous battle of wills, Eliza decides to strike out on her own. “If I can't have kindness, I'll have independence,” she declares. Then, according to Shaw's final stage directions, Eliza "sweeps out."

There's more is you keep googling... Shaw worked hard to protect Eliza's integrity in not allowing her to end up with Higgins, which I think, as others have mentioned should be the ending of the musical. Eliza could have left the house, found Freddy on the street and at least taken a walk away from the camera with him.

by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2022 10:01 PM

Jeremy Irons doing Higgins in a concert production with Kiri Te Kanawa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2022 10:07 PM

They should have cast Sally Anne Howes and retitled the character Julie Scrumptious

by Anonymousreply 44April 22, 2022 10:09 PM

R41

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2022 10:50 PM

R22 yes, but Richard talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2022 11:51 PM

Am I a bet? Am I a FUCKING bet?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2022 12:10 AM

R46, I didn't know that. Do you know why he talked her out of it?

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2022 12:24 AM

How has no one talked about sexy (ang gay) Jeremy Brett???!

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2022 12:32 AM

Jeremy Brett was not gay.

Neither was Liberace or Charles Nelson Reilly

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2022 12:57 AM

I enjoy the film version of Pygmalion more. Wendy Hiller is terrific as Eliza and Leslie Howard is sexy AF as Professor Higgins. I was shocked because I'm one of those who has no idea why Scarlett is so nuts about Ashley, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2022 12:57 AM

Audrey was fine as Eliza became a lady, but in the early scenes of the film Julie would have been much better. It was a big deal when Oscar-favorite Audrey did not get nominated for this movie. Rex was diplomatic when , during his acceptance speech, he thanked both of his fair ladies.

I thought Wilfrid Hyde-White was perfect casting , but a little of Stanley Holloway goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2022 1:03 AM

R52 a little Alfred P. Doolittle goes a long way...

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2022 1:10 AM

[quote] fetishizing minorities,

Which minorities are you talking about R2? Perhaps you are a robot?

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2022 1:16 AM

R5 You don't have have any links for those two assertions, do you.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2022 1:18 AM

Audrey wasn't convincing as a cockney

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2022 1:19 AM

[quote] embalming

You stole that word, didn't you, R13? Kael?

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2022 1:20 AM

[quote] I love old-time Hollywood stories and books.

Bully for you, R16

[quote] I have yet to read a good word about Harrison as a person

You need to read English stories and books, especially by theatre practitioners and professionals and avoid second-hand muck-rakers.

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote] I believe

You believe incorrectly, R37.

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2022 1:28 AM

I thought Julie Andrews was the singer- and that was why she won the Oscar for Mary Poppins, because the academy was sympathetic that she had really performed for both movies that year.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2022 1:32 AM

They were begging me but Gary talked me out if it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2022 1:48 AM

Everyone hated Harrison. You will look in vain for a story of his kindliness or generosity. Still he was quite wonderful in a number of films. I think he called Moss Hart a faggot or worse in front of the cast of MFL and he called Julie a bitch or very probably worse in front of the same cast.

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2022 1:51 AM

[quote] I think … probably worse …

Undocumented gossip about stars by anonymous bottom-feeders have no value.

[quote] his kindliness or generosity

Harrison was a light comic actor who worked well and within his range. He wasn't a bishop or a philanthropist or a Social Justice Warrior.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote]and he called Julie a bitch or very probably worse

He called her a bloody stool and proceeded to hit her in the head with a fondue pot, r62.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2022 1:59 AM

What about Gladys Cooper?

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2022 2:07 AM

'Undocumented gossip' Would legal notarized documentation help? EVERYONE says that Harrison was a shit.

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2022 2:09 AM

Gladys was only hired when Jack Warner failed to get Peter O'Toole for the star role. There was no one else sufficiently elderly to be Harrison's mother.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2022 2:10 AM

They could have gotten Wendy Hiller.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2022 2:13 AM

Wendy Hiller was supposed to be in Anastasia with Natalie at the Ahmanson.

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2022 2:19 AM

Terrible film. Weakest Oscar best picture nominee that year.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2022 2:22 AM

Gladys knew Jack Warner from the 1940s.

Jack Warner had Gladys on contract and he wanted Flora Robson too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2022 2:24 AM

I love Dame Gladys. She was quite beautiful when she was young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2022 2:24 AM

She was in silent films too. Fucking ancient in My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2022 2:28 AM

She was 78 when MFL came out. Rex Harrison was 56. She was old enough to be his mother, and she stole every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote]Gladys was only hired when Jack Warner failed to get Peter O'Toole for the star role. There was no one else sufficiently elderly to be Harrison's mother.

Not true that she was the only one old enough. When "My Fair Lady" was revived on Broadway in 1981, with Rex Harrison reprising his role as Higgins, his mother was played by Cathleen Nesbitt, who was then in her 90s. She had created the role of Mrs. Higgins in the original production of "My Fair Lady" in 1956 and had also appeared in the 1938 movie of "Pygmalion."

by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2022 2:35 AM

Cathleen Nesbitt was a close friend of George Cukor, but that wasn't enough to get her cast in the movie. She and Gladys Cooper were born a few weeks apart in 1888 and appeared together in "Separate Tables."

For what it's worth, Nesbitt praised Harrison's "sheer professionalism and his loyalty to Shaw's words" in the Broadway production, and said it was "one of the happiest companies I have ever known."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2022 2:41 AM

And she got to go up and down the stairs, seated, on The Farmer's Daughter, r75.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 23, 2022 2:44 AM

Gladys got The Rogues...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 23, 2022 2:46 AM

[quote] They could have gotten Wendy Hiller.

In that case Wendy must've given birth to Rex when she was aged 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 23, 2022 2:46 AM

Rex and Wendy were lovers in 'Major Barbara' and again in this small TV movie (with gay sub-plot).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 23, 2022 2:50 AM

Well Angela gave birth to Laurence when she was 3 so why not?

by Anonymousreply 81April 23, 2022 2:53 AM

And Eileen gave birth to Laurence when she was minus ten.

by Anonymousreply 82April 23, 2022 2:55 AM

Audrey makes me smile all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2022 2:59 AM

How about Betty Bacall as Eliza or Mrs. Higgins or Mrs. Pierce. Maybe Colonel Pickering.

by Anonymousreply 84April 23, 2022 3:10 AM

How about Orson Welles as Freddie?

by Anonymousreply 85April 23, 2022 3:18 AM

Rex Harrrison was a great actor (esp at 4:40 when he is being chased around by Doolittle's bad breath) but Audrey Hepburn's acting was horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 23, 2022 3:21 AM

R73 There's no need to use profane language when talking about an Englishwoman.

by Anonymousreply 87April 23, 2022 3:24 AM

[quote] Would legal notarized documentation help?

Yes, it would R66. It would help dispel the notion that some Dataloungers are sozzled-up mindless queens regurgitating ancient gossip from sixty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 88April 23, 2022 3:50 AM

The ending sucks. It betrays Shaw's satirical point.

by Anonymousreply 89April 23, 2022 4:11 AM

Well you've confirmed the notion some Dataloungers are condescending dictatorial twats.

by Anonymousreply 90April 23, 2022 4:16 AM

I thought the ending was ambiguous.

Shaw's point was that a well-spoken cabbage-leaf would be accepted in polite society. He didn't prophesy that Eliza would be happy.

by Anonymousreply 91April 23, 2022 4:17 AM

If you can't accept the ending of My Fair Lady then you have to throw out the entire score. The ending is in the music of the entire show. Not that anyone today would have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 92April 23, 2022 4:35 AM

Mary Poppins was MUCH better!

by Anonymousreply 93April 23, 2022 4:46 AM

Isn't it just "Pretty Woman" without the lip synching?

by Anonymousreply 94April 23, 2022 4:54 AM

[quote]Isn't it just "Pretty Woman" without the lip synching?

"Pretty Woman" had lip-syncing?

by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2022 4:56 AM

American My Fair Lady:

Eliza- Betty Bacall

Henry Higgins- Vincent Price

Colonel Pickering- Lee Strasberg

Alfred P. Doolittle- George Burns

Freddie- Ronald Reagan

Mrs. Higgins- Estelle Winwood

by Anonymousreply 96April 23, 2022 4:19 PM

"I learned two things at RADA - I can't act and it doesn't matter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 23, 2022 10:53 PM

Eliza- Julie Andrews

Higgins- Michael Redgrave

Pickering- Ralph Richardson

Alfred- Donald Wolfit

Freddie- Dirk Bogarde

and Dame Edith Evans as Mrs. Higgins

by Anonymousreply 98April 23, 2022 11:53 PM

Lerner said, "The first person I thought of was Rex Harrison." He said he asked Kurt Weill, "Does Rex sing?" and Weill replied, "Enough."

Lerner later said, "Rex is one of the few enduring friends I have made in the theatre. He has been unfailingly loyal, sympathetic, and generous - on one occasion flying from Italy to New York in mid-winter to help me out for one night."

by Anonymousreply 99April 24, 2022 5:17 AM

[quote] Jeremy Brett.

He was brought all the way from England to La La Land but he was ignored there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 24, 2022 6:13 AM

My Unfair Man

by Anonymousreply 101April 24, 2022 6:24 AM

I saw My Fair Lady last year for the first time, and it was trash. The costumes were gorgeous, but the screenplay and casting were pathetic. Some old guy verbally and emotionally abuses a woman for 2 hours.

by Anonymousreply 102April 24, 2022 6:35 AM

The only one who "sings" in this is Rex Harrison and he talks his way through it. None of the actual talent appears onscreen. The opposite of entertainment

by Anonymousreply 103April 24, 2022 6:46 AM

I don't think the film is very good (I love the show); I liked it the first time I saw it, but subsequent viewings make me aware of how bad Audrey Hepburn is in it. It's as if Gigi were playing Eliza Doolittle. She's never that dirty, draggle-tailed guttersnipe Higgins says she is. She never seems like a filthy, uneducated girl from the slums - though Audrey tries. It throws the whole film off.

Vincente Minnelli, who Lerner and Warner both wanted to direct it, ended up ruining his chance by asking for too much money. When he was asked much later what he would have done differently, he said he would have made it more colorful. That made me laugh when I read it because MFL is a very drab looking musical. Cukor was known for not wanted added color (in the lighting) on his sets - he used to say, the set is painted beautifully, we don't need to add any color. Minnelli was a master of color - Cukor almost seems colorblind, with all the drab sets and lighting.

by Anonymousreply 104April 24, 2022 7:08 AM

OP=the biggest MARY on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 105April 24, 2022 7:17 AM

I like r98's casting ideas.

by Anonymousreply 106April 24, 2022 9:31 AM

Wasn't Rex Harrison a real shit in real life?

by Anonymousreply 107April 24, 2022 9:50 AM

He was a cunt, R107.

by Anonymousreply 108April 24, 2022 9:51 AM

No, R107, you shouldn't waste your time listening to lazy gossip retailed by queens who've never met Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 109April 24, 2022 10:27 AM

Points off when both leads in a musical can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 110April 24, 2022 10:47 AM

This is how they should have ended, with Eliza telling Professor 'Iggins to piss off!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 24, 2022 10:54 AM

R106 thank you! I think it would have been a fun movie with those actors.

by Anonymousreply 112April 25, 2022 1:23 PM

What do you think of Audrey's Cockney accent? It sounds fine to my American ear, and she has the appropriate braying tone of voice, a bit too well-projected but all the actors are doing that,... my biggest criticism with her performance is her posh, post-lessons accent. Instead of the perfect upper-class queenly English intonation she ought to have, she has her usual faint Belgian accent, the speech of an international sophisticate whose English is better than most native-speakers' and only faintly accented. Which is posh in its own way, but it's NOT what Higgins would be teaching a guttersnipe!

Other than that, I think she does a pretty good job, and puts more feeling and life into her role than the poised Julie Andrews would have.

by Anonymousreply 113April 25, 2022 10:49 PM

'the speech of an international sophisticate whose English is better than most native-speakers' and only faintly accented.'

That's the point of the song You Did It. At the ball she is thought to be a high born foreigner who speaks English as a second language beautifully better than a native speaker would. The irony is that she is a native born speaker of English. Cockney is English after all.

Minelli's film most probably would have been not good. His adaptations of hit Broadway musicals are for the most part very poor. Nobody considers Brigadoon, Kismet, Bells are Ringing and On a Clear Day among his better films. In fact they were all flops. Nobody even considers them unappreciated films in retrospect. He's as good as Francis Ford Coppola was making Finian's Rainbow.

My Fair Lady is visually dazzling. To complain about the colors is nuts. I can't even begin to know what you're talking about. It is a very beautifully designed film taking full advantage of Super Panavision 70.

by Anonymousreply 114April 26, 2022 1:44 AM

[quote] I enjoy the film version of Pygmalion more. Wendy Hiller is terrific as Eliza and Leslie Howard is sexy AF as Professor Higgins.

I completely agree. I thought I'd love MFL because of the songs and the story but the film was pretty much a bore.

Pygmalion is so much better and Wendy Hiller is transcendent. I wonder if it's on YouTube.

I also love that wedding dress Anna Massey is wearing - 1958 wedding to Jeremy Brett. Reminiscent of Princess Margaret's in 1960 obviously different but similar style.

Couldn't find who designed Massey's gown but it was Norman Hartnell who did Princess Margaret's.

Here is snippet from 2011 DM article on her death - note what it says about husband Jeremy Brett:

Her father, Canadian actor Raymond Massey, walked out when Massey was one, and remained 'the glamorous film star who lived far away'.

Her mother, actress Adrianne Allen, delegated much of the childcare to a nanny.

Massey drafted in her own former nanny to look after her son David when her marriage to Brett - who is said to have left her for a man and went on to play TV's Sherlock Holmes - ended.

'I find acting incredibly difficult - it demands much more of my time than it does for some people. I'm not instinctive. It takes enormous discipline and bravery to get me there.'

But when the nanny died in 1965, Massey was on her way to a nervous breakdown and her hair turned white overnight.

She suffered from severe stage fright and anorexia, but continued to perform, often helped by pills.

Massey underwent psychoanalysis, saying later it was 'an absolute life-saver' and that without it she 'would probably have ended up in some clinic'.

Massey made her stage debut at the age of 18 in The Reluctant Debutante playing the lead.

Her film debut came three years later in Gideon's Day, directed by Ford, and she starred as the murderous cameraman's girlfriend in Michael Powell's Peeping Tom in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2022 2:59 AM

[quote]Minelli's film most probably would have been not good. His adaptations of hit Broadway musicals are for the most part very poor. Nobody considers Brigadoon, Kismet, Bells are Ringing and On a Clear Day among his better films. In fact they were all flops. Nobody even considers them unappreciated films in retrospect. He's as good as Francis Ford Coppola was making Finian's Rainbow.

Well, Cukor was not even usually a director of musicals - he only directed four. MFL and A Star Is Born are considered the good ones. Let's Make Love (with Marilyn Monroe) is pretty bad, and Les Girls, though pretty good, lost money, and only has a few numbers.

The point about hiring Minnelli was that he had directed Gigi, which was a huge success and won 9 Academy Awards, including Best Picture. It also (like MFL) had a score by Lerner and Loewe, and a screenplay by Loewe, and Andre Previn as musical director. Lerner wouldn't have wanted him as director if he didn't think he would have done as good a job as he had on Gigi.

The other point is that he had directed many famous musicals, like Cabin In The Sky, Meet Me In St. Louis, Ziegfeld Follies, The Pirate, The Band Wagon, and An American In Paris (another Best Picture winner). Cabin In The Sky (a hit) was adapted from a Broadway Musical, btw.

Kismet was a Broadway hit partly because it debuted during a newspaper strike - otherwise the critics probably would have murdered it. Minnelli turned the movie down, but was was forced into it because he was offered Lust For Life if he would direct Kismet first. Stanley Donen finished it when Minnelli left for France to direct the Van Gogh biopic.

Bells Are Ringing is very good - even if it wasn't a hit. The other two aren't great - but Minnelli had a good reputation as a director of film musicals - no one really had a better one.

by Anonymousreply 116April 26, 2022 3:25 AM

Yes Cabin in the Sky was a hit but it was the only one. Nobody would deny he was a great director of movie musicals but when they were adapted from the stage he had his hands tied behind his back. Bells outside of capturing Judy Holliday's performance I find disappointing. Maybe it's the show itself. The whole subplot with the betting operation and the suspected prostitution is tedious and embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2022 4:24 AM

[quote] Gigi, …huge success …9 Academy Awards… score by Lerner and Loewe… Andre Previn as musical director

Yes, yes. But that property was owned by MGM.

But Jacob L Warner purchased 'My Fair Lady' for an unprecedented $6.5 million in 1962. A tremendous amount of money.

We should be blaming Jacob L Warner for the film's faults. He was determined that nothing be cut. He was determined that George Cukor NOT film in London. (Ten years George Cukor made the charming 'Love Among the Ruins' on location in London; it made a pleasant freely-photographed film with Kate and Larry).

Jacob L Warner was determined to get down on the shooting stage floor constantly to check his multi-million dollar be not compromised. Because he wanted a prestige money-maker as his last film.

(He also MAY have suggested Jimmy Cagney as Dolittle—and that might have just worked!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2022 6:15 AM

[quote]Yes, yes. But that property was owned by MGM.

So?

Minnelli and Cukor were both MGM directors for years, what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 119April 27, 2022 1:25 AM

[quote] But Jacob L Warner purchased 'My Fair Lady' for an unprecedented $6.5 million in 1962. A tremendous amount of money.

No, he didn't. CBS put up the bulk of the money for the stage show to secure the original cast recording rights and therefore owned the film rights. CBS wasn't willing to sell the film rights outright but Jack Warner wanted to do the film so badly that he LICENSED the film rights for that amount for seven years. After that, the rights reverted back to CBS.

It was as unheard of an arrangement then as it would be now. Normally, if you want the film rights, you buy them outright and then they're yours. CBS wouldn't agree to that and Jack Warner wanted to do the film so much he went along with the unprecedented licensing arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 120April 27, 2022 2:23 AM

Zorba the Greek was (and still is) much better than MFL.

by Anonymousreply 121April 27, 2022 2:43 AM

The golden age was long over in 1964. Warner was mostly making movies with the likes of Troy Donahue by the late 50s.

The film seemed old fashioned to me when I saw it the first time and even more so later. It also seemed stagey in a bad way. Hepburn was too old for the part and was not a good singer but she had a certain charisma and girlish presence that worked pretty well.

Cathleen Nesbitt was a regular on "The Framer's Daughter" and the shooting schedule for MFL would have conflicted with when that sitcom was shooting.

by Anonymousreply 122April 27, 2022 2:45 AM

Should be "The Farmer's Daughter"

by Anonymousreply 123April 27, 2022 2:49 AM

By the way, Judy Holliday's character in Bells Are Ringing was based on a real person who worked for an answering service - Mary Prinz. A friend of mine's mom knew the woman who ran the service (the Jean Stapleton character in the movie).

by Anonymousreply 124April 27, 2022 3:09 AM

One night, after a stage performance of My Fair Lady, an elderly woman was standing alone in the rain outside the stage door and asked for Rex Harrison's autograph.

Rex told her to "sod off", which so enraged the old woman she promptly rolled up her programme and hit him with it.

Fellow actor Stanley Holloway, who witnessed the scene, remarked that it was the first time "the fan has hit the s***!".

by Anonymousreply 125April 27, 2022 3:40 AM

Rex and Henry Tudor had a lot in common. They were similarly tyrannical, both got through six wives, and both enjoyed fine dining.

The matrimonial death toll in both cases was impressive. Two of Rex's women - his lover, the actress Carole Landis, and wife number four, the actress Rachel Roberts - killed themselves.

He was often amorously involved with an ex-wife, a current wife and a lover at the same time.

Hardly a surprise, then, that he frequently got their names mixed up when making love to them.

In the case of Landis, goosebumps of horror erupt as you read the accounts of their fling in 1947. She was in her 20s and had already been married several times.

She was said to be great company, free with her favours, if a tad unstable. Rex homed in on her like a shark, although he was married to his second wife, Lilli Palmer, at the time.

The following year, realising the affair was going nowhere, Landis took an overdose. Rex found her when she was still alive but her pulse was very weak.

Instead of immediately calling an ambulance, he spent half an hour thumbing through her address book looking for her private doctor, in the hope of keeping a scandal at bay. By the time he had found it, it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 126April 27, 2022 3:45 AM

Conversely, there was his heroic treatment of the bubbly actress Kay Kendall, best known for the film Genevieve, and with whom Harrison began a relationship with her on the set of The Constant Husband.

Kendall had leukaemia - a fact her doctor kept from her but he told Rex about.

Harrison and Lilli Palmer, his wife at the time, calmly agreed to divorce in 1957 (planning to later remarry) so he could marry Kendall who believed she had only anaemia.

Harrison then nursed her, protecting her from the truth to the last. Some people say she knew her fate all along, but they both found pretence the best way of coping. He was genuinely devastated by her death.

by Anonymousreply 127April 27, 2022 3:51 AM

Rex was then married to Rachel Roberts from 1962 to 1971. Roberts was devastated by her divorce from Rex, and her alcoholism and depression worsened. She moved to Hollywood in 1975 and tried to forget the relationship. In 1980, Roberts attempted to win Harrison back. The attempt proved futile as Harrison was then married to his sixth and final wife, Mercia Tinker.

On 26 November 1980, Roberts died at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 53. Her death was initially attributed to a heart attack. Her gardener found her body on her kitchen floor, lying amidst shards of glass; she had fallen through a decorative glass divide between two rooms. An autopsy later determined that her death was a result of swallowing lye or another alkali, or another unidentified caustic substance, as well as barbiturates and alcohol, as detailed in her posthumously published journals. The corrosive effect of the alkali was the immediate cause of death. The coroner documented the cause of death as "swallowing a caustic substance" and, later, "acute barbiturate intoxication." Her death was ruled a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 128April 27, 2022 3:54 AM

So, a question: why did these women completely lose their minds over this cad?

by Anonymousreply 129April 27, 2022 3:55 AM

[quote] Minnelli and Cukor were both MGM directors for years, what's your point?

The point is that Minnelli and Cukor were both MGM directors "for years". But those aren't NOW in 1964. Jacob L Warner had the money NOW in 1964 and he had to choose someone safe to handle his multi-million property right NOW in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 130April 27, 2022 4:42 AM

R125 That anecdote is mildly witty but I bet other people polished Holloway's outburst.

Stanley Holloway was an ungracious fellow (if not queer).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 27, 2022 4:49 AM

[quote] So, a question: why did these women completely lose their minds over this cad?

Dear R129, don't try to psychoanalyse women, they are a different species.

But also bear in mind two things. One; he was a wealthy box office star at the time. And two; much of this fervid gossip in this thread is second-hand,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 27, 2022 5:00 AM

[quote] He didn’t think he could do the part on film because he couldn’t sing

He sang here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 27, 2022 5:05 AM

[quote]Hepburn was too old for the part and was not a good singer

Which may be why her singing wasn't used in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 134April 27, 2022 5:09 AM

"Never marry an actress. They never stop acting."

by Anonymousreply 135April 27, 2022 5:17 AM

Hear, hear!

by Anonymousreply 136April 27, 2022 5:19 AM

It's a great musical and I sing all the parts.

by Anonymousreply 137April 27, 2022 5:33 AM

[quote] Hepburn was too old for the part and was not a good singer

Are you talking about Audrey in MFL or Katherine in Coco?

by Anonymousreply 138April 27, 2022 6:05 AM

[quote] Rex Harrison was an old fart sexist pig who contributed to the death of Carole Landis and cheated on all his wives

R12 Have you stayed faithful to your husband?

Be honest!

by Anonymousreply 139April 27, 2022 6:14 AM

[quote]The golden age was long over in 1964. Warner was mostly making movies with the likes of Troy Donahue by the late 50s.

If Troy Donahue could be a movie star, then I could be a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 140April 27, 2022 11:02 AM

If two women who were involved with Harrison committed suicide, it's not necessarily because he drove them to it, either because he was abusive or they loved him too much.

Some people are drawn to unstable partners, either because they love drama, they love feeling needed, or they like mindfucking people with no defenses. In Harrison 's case, I'd bet it's the last.

by Anonymousreply 141April 27, 2022 1:11 PM

If 2 of his wives committed suicide...isn't murder more likely?

by Anonymousreply 142April 27, 2022 1:40 PM

I've written this before and I'll write it again because there might happen to be one person who didn't read it. But then again maybe not.

When very young I went to see Claudette and Rex in The Kingfisher. Was it at the Barrymore? I brought my MFL movie program with me to have Rex sign it. I stood at the stage door the only person. Suddenly he came out flew by me into his waiting limo and closed the door. The window happened to be open so I quickly stuck the program in front of his face and handed him a pen. Instead of saying fuck off you little cunt! his face broadened into a smile and he started flipping through it. He then without a word signed the cover, handed it back to me and the car took off. Having no idea of his reputation at the time I certainly would have been thunderstruck if he had responded to me in his most Rex manner.

by Anonymousreply 143April 27, 2022 9:12 PM

[quote] I quickly stuck the program in front of his face

How rude! You paid for a seat in theatre. You didn't pay for the right to invade an elderly man's private space.

by Anonymousreply 144April 27, 2022 9:26 PM

Get Me to the Church on Time!

by Anonymousreply 145April 27, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote]The window happened to be open so I quickly stuck the program in front of his face and handed him a pen. Instead of saying fuck off you little cunt! his face broadened into a smile and he started flipping through it. He then without a word signed the cover, handed it back to me and the car took off.

It would have been a cooler story if you had stuck the program in front of his face and handed him a pen, he closed the window and took off with it.

by Anonymousreply 146April 27, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] a cooler story

Yes, Dataloungers prefer rudeness and childish butchery.

by Anonymousreply 147April 27, 2022 10:25 PM

I admit I was very rude and deserved to be called a cunt! It just happened so fast and I was determined to get his autograph on that program. My only excuse is that I was young. And basically rude.

by Anonymousreply 148April 27, 2022 11:24 PM

^

Fair enough. I occasionally look back and ask myself was I as arrogant and thoughtless as today's millennials.

And I was, but only occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 149April 27, 2022 11:27 PM

My ass is fresh n fragrant

by Anonymousreply 150April 28, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote] Hepburn gives an iconic performance as Eliza

I think that's a misuse go the word 'iconic'.

I think she was adequate in the role but I say that all the blame must be laid upon Jack Warner (R118).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 28, 2022 12:16 AM

R127, my mother of all people told me that story of Rex and Kay Kendall. I wonder if his devotion to her was in some part enabled by the fact he knew there was an end date to their romance. These men aren't capable of real love - they just flirt with it in flings. They continue their antics because the women let them get away with it.

Lili Palmer married almost immediately after her divorce from Harrison to some handsome actor. They were married for almost 30 years when she died. He committed suicide 4 years later.

by Anonymousreply 152April 28, 2022 2:21 AM

Wasn't Rachel Roberts well known for getting down on all fours and barking like a dog, in public?

by Anonymousreply 153April 28, 2022 2:29 AM

I can't opne this Telegram article but I can get this much out of it -

Totally Uncontrollable: the tragic life of Hollywood's forgotten Welsh hellraiser . Jan 2, 2022 — Harrison eventually tired of the antics, which had exposed him to public humiliation – Roberts crawling around on all fours barking like a dog ... says she "shocked even Richard Burton".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 28, 2022 2:33 AM

^. No, R153, that anecdote is only shared between bitches and sozzled Datalounge queens.

by Anonymousreply 155April 28, 2022 2:34 AM

R147

[quote] childish butchery.

childish bitchery

by Anonymousreply 156April 28, 2022 3:04 AM

R157 replies and no talk of Wilfrid Hyde-White wow

by Anonymousreply 157April 28, 2022 12:38 PM

I personally don’t see the appeal. It’s also Hepburn’s worst career performance, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 158April 28, 2022 1:19 PM

I'll talk about Wilfrid Hyde-White. It's impossible not to like him in anything, but he doesn't seem at all like a British army Colonel who lived in India. Scott Sunderland, in Pygmalion, was very much that type. It seems like they got away from what the character was supposed to be all about. Hyde-White seems more like a fussy beaurocrat than a military man.

by Anonymousreply 159April 28, 2022 2:17 PM

I read Lili Palmer's autobiography years ago. She said that when Kendall was diagnosed with Leukemia, which was totally incurable in those days, everyone pushed Harrison to marry Kendall and take care of her during the time she had left. He was reluctant, to put it politely, and continued to call his ex-wife Palmer and lean on her for emotional support, to the point where she felt horrifically burdened. She cut him off eventually, God knows what he did then, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't make Kendall's life a misery, like he did with all his women.

Kendall was a delight to watch, BTW, one of those rare performers who radiated charm and humor! It's such a pity she only made a few films, and that the only watchable one is "Les Girls".

by Anonymousreply 160April 28, 2022 9:29 PM

LOVE Kay Kendall in The Reluctant Debutante, directed by Vincente Minnelli and starring Rex, Sandra Dee, hot young John Saxon and a pre-Mame Angela Lansbury as....what else? a bitch. All DLers should know this film.

by Anonymousreply 161April 28, 2022 9:55 PM

Will no one here speak of the ghastly opening credits?

Even as a young gayling brought into Manhattan by my parents to see the film at its reserved seat engagement at the now demolished Criterion Theater on Broadway, I was immediately put off by the those boring and inert photos of floral bouquets during the incredibly heart-stopping overture. What a lazy concept, I thought to myself.

by Anonymousreply 162April 28, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote] just another film about the misogyny of gay men gentrifying the poor, fetishizing minorities, and causing them to become fully dependent upon them then abandoning them when the novelty has worn off...

Yes, just another one of those films. They make one every 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 163April 28, 2022 10:09 PM

[quote] boring and inert photos of floral bouquets

R162 You may not be aware that the first scene occurs in one of the few places that rich people would get into close proximity with the poor. The London opera house is situated next to the Covent Garden Flower Market.

The socialist playwright engineered this juxtaposition to create his socialistic message-play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 28, 2022 10:12 PM

I'm on the fence about this movie. Audrey and Rex are outstanding but the movie falls flat in the middle part when it should have soared during the ball sequence. Marni Nixon's voice, which fit Deborah Kerr beautifully in The King and I, is completely out of place on Audrey. But Rex' acting is superb and Audrey Hepburn is at her most delicious especially in the Ascot scene.

by Anonymousreply 165April 28, 2022 10:19 PM

Is it just me or does Audrey look like the mum from Mary Poppins in the OP's screencap?

by Anonymousreply 166April 28, 2022 10:22 PM

Yeah, I was totally aware of that, even back in 1964. Nevertheless, those flower photos were a cheap and lazy idea for the opening credits., not conveying anything of the class differences at Convent Garden or much of anything else.

by Anonymousreply 167April 28, 2022 10:24 PM

^ No.

[quote] the movie falls flat in the middle part

Blame Jacob L Warner. He refused to allow any cuts in his million-dollar purchase.

by Anonymousreply 168April 28, 2022 10:25 PM

[quote] those flower photos were a cheap and lazy idea for the opening credits

AJ Lerner's luscious, dreamy overture lasts 3 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 169April 28, 2022 10:43 PM

That's funny because I think the opening credits are among the best I've seen. I love the fact that it sets the mood beautifully. The photos are gorgeous. I believe they are by Beaton. And as one photo turn into the next it looks almost like the flowers are blooming. Previn conducts the overture masterfully. Another masterstroke is the credits don't begin until about the soaring 'and oh that towering feeling' of On the Street Where You Live with the Warner Brothers' logo appearing. The problem today is that the negative for the sequence has been lost or it decayed too much so that what you seen now including on the magnificent 4k (where the movie itself is so visually beautiful it looks like stained glass by Tiffany) is a grainy fifth generation copy.

by Anonymousreply 170April 28, 2022 11:56 PM

Scorsese's "The Age of Innocence" credits went for the full on blooming flowers. I love both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 29, 2022 12:02 AM

I'd never seen that before but it seems a tribute to Minnelli, Cukor and it was so long that I read the book but isn't one of the last lines about not having the flower of life?

by Anonymousreply 172April 29, 2022 12:12 AM

"Something he knew he had missed: the flower of life. But he thought of it now as a thing so unattainable and improbable that to have repined would have been like despairing because one had not drawn the first prize in a lottery. There were a hundred million tickets in his lottery, and there was only one prize; the chances had been too decidedly against him."

by Anonymousreply 173April 29, 2022 12:32 AM

Vincente Minnelli acted very very gay, however in real life he was obsessed with huge, pointed female breasts. He drew and painted them all the time, there were hundreds of them and they were well done from an artistic standpoint, but strange. Lisa got them after he died and sold them at auction a few years ago. She was very proud of her father's talent. On another note, my partner's family lived in Vincente Minnelli's home in Beverly Hills, i used to sleep in his bedroom when I visited. His parents knew Judy well and they used to socialize and went to the same parties. She usually sang and loved being the center of attention. They said she was always up and the life of the party. They learned about her problems from the press.

by Anonymousreply 174April 29, 2022 12:39 AM

[quote]AJ Lerner's luscious, dreamy overture lasts 3 minutes.

That would be Frederick Loewe's lush, dreamy overture.

by Anonymousreply 175April 29, 2022 1:03 AM

I'm not finding any paintings of his, r174, with big pointed boobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176April 29, 2022 2:09 AM

Julie Andrews as Eliza.

Cary Grant as Henry Higgins.

William Frawley as Alfred P. Doolittle

by Anonymousreply 177April 29, 2022 2:42 AM

Vivian Vance as Eliza.

Desi Arnez as Higgins

Lucy as Mrs. Pearce

William Frawley as Pickering

by Anonymousreply 178April 29, 2022 2:47 AM

Jackie Gleason as Higgins Audrey Meadows as Eliza Art Carney as Pickering

by Anonymousreply 179April 29, 2022 2:49 AM

Dawn Wells as Eliza

Jim Backus as Henry Higgins

Alan Hale Jr as Dolittle

Russell Johnson as Pickering

by Anonymousreply 180April 29, 2022 2:58 AM

Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181April 29, 2022 3:01 AM

Natalie Schafer as Mrs Higgins

by Anonymousreply 182April 29, 2022 3:01 AM

R181 Of course.

by Anonymousreply 183April 29, 2022 3:02 AM

Upon the death of Gladys Cooper, I believe some great British wag (was it Noel Coward?) said" No worries, we still have Cathleen Nesbitt."

IIRC, both ladies show up in those wonderful old Roddy McDowall Malibu home movies from the summer of 1965, though not together.

by Anonymousreply 184April 29, 2022 3:04 AM

R183 what do you mean by 'of course' ?

by Anonymousreply 185April 29, 2022 3:17 AM

R185, we all know , because we're all thinking the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 186April 29, 2022 3:20 AM

R184 jokes on him. Estelle Winwood outlived them all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187April 29, 2022 3:24 AM

*3* GIRLS *3*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 29, 2022 3:28 AM

Nesbitt and Cooper in Separate Tables (1958).

I forget where I read it but some guy wrote about bagging groceries for Gladys Cooper in Malibu or Trancas Beach or one of those places in the 60s, said she was fit and tanned and wearing shorts, and was very nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189April 29, 2022 4:34 AM

Trash movie. Julie Andrews always said it was her biggest regret that posterity wouldn't be able to see a recorded performance of her as Eliza.

Audrey Hepburn couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. To this day, this stands as one of the biggest miscastings in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 190April 29, 2022 4:38 AM

Why didn't anyone think to film any of the great Broadway shows - I mean, just placing a couple of cameras somewhere in the theater. Nothing filmic, just record it. Anything would have been ok. How short sighted. Likewise, they could have taped whole performances (audio). It's hard to believe more wasn't done in an era when there was the ability to do it.

by Anonymousreply 191April 29, 2022 4:48 AM

[quote]To this day, this stands as one of the biggest miscastings in Hollywood history.

And it will continue to stand until Beanie Feldstein is cast in the movie remake.

by Anonymousreply 192April 29, 2022 4:50 AM

R191 I believe there were union rules which would have forbidden it. Somehow they got around it, how I don't know, in London where they filmed the stage production of South Pacific. It was unseeable for a long time. People were passing around tapes of Metropolitan opera performances for the longest time and yet it was all done in (open) secrecy because it was illegal. They were called pirates with good reason. It was considered theft. Likewise if those filmed performances started being passed around it would have been theft of all the work done by those involved with the production and unions would not stand for it.

by Anonymousreply 193April 29, 2022 5:02 AM

R193. Thanks, that's interesting. I'm surprised, though, that they could not have been filmed/recorded for non-commercial purposes, i. e. just for preservation.

by Anonymousreply 194April 29, 2022 5:34 AM

Cary Grant might have made a brilliant Higgins, except for one thing.

Yes, he was Cary Grant, and could play Higgins's thoughtlessness and selfishness to peerless comic effect, and imbued the character with a charm, energy, and charisma that few actors would match, and which put over the end of the musical (not the end of the original play). But... well.... there was his... accent. The odd, "mid-Atlantic", part-Cockney-part-American accent which didn't sound like a teacher of elocution, and didn't sound like anyone else, the accent which Grant didn't seem to be able to shed. The only film I ever saw of his where he didn't have that odd accent were a couple where he played the Cockney he'd been when he was young, he didn't seem able to assume the plummy Oxford of a highly-educated Edwardian professor. Pity about that.

by Anonymousreply 195April 29, 2022 6:40 AM

Leslie Howard's accent and voice sound like the perfect Higgins to me. Stern but not ice cold.

by Anonymousreply 196April 29, 2022 6:43 AM

Howard was a terrific Higgins! Every bit of the thoughtlessness, rudeness, and obnoxiousness, tempered with a restless intelligence and energy, and good looks and sex appeal! I had only seen Leslie Howard play a weenie in "GWTW" while being too old for the role, so I had no idea he had it in him, but he's the single best Higgins I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 197April 29, 2022 7:10 AM

R197 when did you see Leslie Howard live?

He died when his plane got shot down by germans! Omg..

by Anonymousreply 198April 29, 2022 7:38 AM

R196 Makes sense considering he played him in the film version of Pygmalion

by Anonymousreply 199April 29, 2022 8:41 AM

Leslie was able to make a more affable Higgins because he wasn't encumbered by all the songs and production numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200April 29, 2022 8:54 AM

Jeremy Brett was hot

by Anonymousreply 201April 29, 2022 2:14 PM

Was Leslie Howard gay in real life? Or was he playing a gay Higgins who did love Eliza romantically?

by Anonymousreply 202April 29, 2022 2:27 PM

Cary Grant never had a Cockney accent. He was was born and raised in Bristol.

by Anonymousreply 203April 29, 2022 3:12 PM

Jeremy Brett was gay

Rex Harrison was a pretentious asshole

Wilfrid Hyde-White was a gentleman

Stanley Holloway was a funny ass

The movie was perfectly cast....

by Anonymousreply 204April 29, 2022 3:15 PM

George Bernard Shaw wrote the part of Eliza in Pygmalion for Mrs. Patrick Campbell.

by Anonymousreply 205April 29, 2022 3:15 PM

Rex Harrison kisses Audrey Hepburn so many times here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206April 29, 2022 3:16 PM

And Mrs. Patrick Campbell was 49 at the time Shaw wrote Eliza for her. The 18 year old Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 207April 29, 2022 3:19 PM

And despite creating the roles didn't she and the original Higgins think Shaw's ending was shit?

by Anonymousreply 208April 29, 2022 3:31 PM

Rex Harrison was marvelous in every sense except in the fact that he lacked any sex appeal whatsoever, which killed any possible sexual tension that might have existed between him and Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 209April 29, 2022 3:33 PM

R181 That is so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 210April 29, 2022 3:33 PM

Sexy Rexy lacked sex appeal? It seems a lot of women would disagree with you. The streets were lined with women killing themselves over him.

by Anonymousreply 211April 29, 2022 3:36 PM

He wasn't sexy in My Fair Lady.

by Anonymousreply 212April 29, 2022 3:49 PM

He was...prickly.

by Anonymousreply 213April 29, 2022 3:51 PM

Henry Higgins was almost asexual though. That is the point. He changed for her too.

by Anonymousreply 214April 29, 2022 3:55 PM

In his lengthy and fervent introduction to the play, Shaw does indeed seem to think of Prof. Higgins as asexual, talks about how his mother was so fabulous and had made such a lovely home that no other woman could compare. (!!) Frankly, there seems to be more than a bit of Shaw in Higgins, and we still don't know what the hell was going on with Shaw sexually.

But Leslie Howard proved that Higgins could be played as a man with a bit of sex appeal, and one could see why an Eliza might choose to stay with him after all. The same was not true of Harrison, who looked about sixty when he made the film, and who played Higgins with maximum rudeness and arrogance, and zero sex appeal. When Hiller's Eliza comes back to Howard's Higgins she's accepting a difficult but possibly rewarding relationship, when Hepburn's Eliza comes back to Harrison's Higgins she's taking the path of least resistance. And presumably counting the hours until widowhood.

by Anonymousreply 215April 29, 2022 7:14 PM

R43 Thank you! I did not know this excited. Going to listen to the full album on Spotify now.

What a cast! Kiri Te Kanawa, Jeremy Irons, Warren Mitchell, Jerry Hadley, and Sir John Gielgud!!!

by Anonymousreply 216April 29, 2022 8:13 PM

[quote]Thank you! I did not know this excited.

It seems to excite *you*, OP.

by Anonymousreply 217April 29, 2022 8:17 PM

I think Audrey was not fiery enough. Julie Andrews had a lot of fire in Just You Wait, Show Me, and Without You.

Eliza's Julie could really ruin your life and I think Higgins respected that in his weird way.

Audrey's Eliza just seemed too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 218April 29, 2022 9:37 PM

Audrey Hepburn showed great class in appearing at the Oscars even though she'd been very publicly snubbed by the nominators. And I can only guess that Rex winning the Oscar was a foregone conclusion if they had Audrey present the Best Actor Oscar that year.

In hindsight, however, it seems unlikely that Julie would win for Mary Poppins, but the sympathy vote (for her losing the role of Eliza) was still very strong when the voting commenced.

by Anonymousreply 219April 29, 2022 10:00 PM

Julie Andrews was awesome in Mary Poppins and that film was great. She was the favorite to win that year. Her competition had no chance (and Anne Bancroft and Sophia Loren were recent winners).

by Anonymousreply 220April 29, 2022 10:04 PM

A crapfest. No one sang their own vocals except Rex, who didn't sing, he spoke.

by Anonymousreply 221April 29, 2022 10:08 PM

Julie Andrews was the favorite to win. Especially with Walt Disney pushing for her, the same way he got James Baskett an honorary Oscar for Song of the South.

My guess is that Debbie Reynolds was probably the runner-up since she had never been awarded at that point. It would be her only nomination.

by Anonymousreply 222April 29, 2022 10:09 PM

R221 Wilfrid Hyde-White sang his songs

by Anonymousreply 223April 29, 2022 10:40 PM

He was dubbed by Annette Warren, r223.

by Anonymousreply 224April 29, 2022 10:43 PM

It was India Adams!!

by Anonymousreply 225April 29, 2022 10:43 PM

Only when Wilfrid was in Creole-face, r225.

by Anonymousreply 226April 29, 2022 10:45 PM

Two middle-aged confirmed bachelor's dressing Audrey Hepburn in Edith Head gowns. GAY!

by Anonymousreply 227April 29, 2022 10:59 PM

[quote]Two middle-aged confirmed bachelor's dressing Audrey Hepburn in Edith Head gowns. GAY!

Turn in your gay card, r227.

by Anonymousreply 228April 29, 2022 11:01 PM

Gen ZZZZ, is that you? R102

by Anonymousreply 229April 29, 2022 11:04 PM

That's why I signed it like I did R229. They fucked that up.

I did love the Will Truman review of Frankenstein though.

by Anonymousreply 230April 29, 2022 11:05 PM

I liked it better when I was younger, I think it's a fairly exhausting movie now. The best actor was the one who played Eliza's father. Harrison just shouts his way through it and Hepburn really isn't convincing as a Cockney flower girl.

by Anonymousreply 231April 29, 2022 11:07 PM

My bad, r230.

by Anonymousreply 232April 29, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote] Shaw worked hard to protect Eliza's integrity in not allowing her to end up with Higgins, which I think, as others have mentioned should be the ending of the musical. Eliza could have left the house

We demand "boy meets girl boy loses girl boy gets girl back"

by Anonymousreply 233April 30, 2022 12:00 AM

[quote] I'd never seen that before but it seems a tribute to Minnelli, Cukor and it was so long that I read the book but isn't one of the last lines about not having the flower of life?

R172 Which book are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 234April 30, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote] "boy meets girl boy loses girl boy gets girl back

And that's why we like this show.

And that's we didn't like others shows taken from George Bernard Shaw, such as this one—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 30, 2022 12:10 AM

The 1937 version starring Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is a brilliant witty and light comedy expertly directed by the fastidious homosexual named Anthony Asquith.

When Asquith came to make George Bernard Shaw's 'The Millionairess' he was obliged to ruthlessly cut Shaw's unwieldy, sententious script.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 30, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote]The best actor was the one who played Eliza's father.

If you don't mind the fact that "Get Me to the Church on Time" seems to take up half of a very long movie.

by Anonymousreply 237April 30, 2022 1:03 AM

r153 I don't remember anything like that at all. - Tony Randall

r209 Harrison HAD sex appeal in this film, it was Hepburn who was, for all intents and purposes, asexual, IMHO.

Gladys Cooper was a real trouper. Always the grande dame from MFL to the bitch on wheels in "Now, Voyager" to playing the mother in "The Rogues" TV series. Would have loved to have seen her on stage. A stunning beauty in her youth as that photo above attests.

The casting was spot on, except for Hepburn. I feel she was in over her head in the part, she just never seemed to be comfortable in the role. Have seen a few clips of Julie Andrews as Eliza on Broadway and she was fine, but I don't know if her style would've worked well in this film. Too forceful a character. Props to Audrey who had that touch of subservience that was needed in the part.

Harrison's 'speak singing' or whatever the technical term is was perfect for the role. Higgins was a no-nonsense character, at least until Eliza showed up, so him speaking and singing as he did was most appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 238April 30, 2022 2:04 AM

R235, The Chocolate Soldier (1941) throws out the Shaw plot, instead borrowing the plot of the Ferenc Molnár play The Guardsman.

by Anonymousreply 239April 30, 2022 2:05 AM

R237 I agree Alfred Doolittle was tedious but Wilfred Lawson playing the same role in better 1937 version wasn't quite so annoying.

But George Bernard Shaw wanted to make some point about "Middle class morality" which I didn't quite understand. I wonder if Middle class morality is supposed to be similar to Charles Dickens' 'Telescopic Philanthropy' and the current 'Virtue-Signalling'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240April 30, 2022 2:18 AM

Everybody who sees the 4k loves it. Even young video nerds who would most probably prefer watching Sci fi and action films. It's a great film beautifully designed and excellently acted with everyone at their peak Even Robert Harris who restored not only this film but Vertigo, Lawrence, and Spartacus loves it. Your gay cards are hereby invalidated.

by Anonymousreply 241April 30, 2022 2:27 PM

Dame Sybil Thorndyke as Mrs. Higgins.

1883-1976

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 3, 2022 7:22 PM

Although she was American, Verna Felton would have been good as Mrs. Higgins.

1890-1966

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243May 3, 2022 7:26 PM

Of course Dame Judith Anderson could have been Mrs. Higgins. A little young, but Anderson was born 60.

1897-1992.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244May 3, 2022 7:32 PM

Ethel Barrymore, if she wasn't dead, would have been a great Mrs. Higgins.

by Anonymousreply 245May 4, 2022 12:21 AM

Hepburn would have been better opposite Peter O’Toole or Cary Grant as Higgins. Zero chemistry with Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 246May 4, 2022 12:39 AM

R246 Harrison was the only reason to watch the thing. Are people really serious? Cary Grant?

by Anonymousreply 247May 4, 2022 12:55 AM

Julie Andrews, Rex Harrison and James Cagney as Dolittle.

Although Hepburn and Cary Grant would have looked beautiful together.

by Anonymousreply 248May 4, 2022 1:00 AM

R248 Well they did Charade the previous year, so you'll always have Paris.

by Anonymousreply 249May 4, 2022 1:04 AM

Replacing Rex Harrison is crazy when he was the only good thing about the movie. R246 must be a crazy Audrey loon, trying to make the movie work to accommodate her when the only miscasting here is her. Replace her with Julie Andrews and everything works out fine.

by Anonymousreply 250May 4, 2022 1:07 AM

R250 Couldn't have said it better myself.

by Anonymousreply 251May 4, 2022 1:08 AM

Now, R246, have you seen this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252May 4, 2022 1:19 AM

[quote] … Judith Anderson could have been Mrs. Higgins. A little young, but Anderson was born 60…

Not true, R246, one upon a time Judith was young and almost as pretty as Streisand. There are pictures of her as a flapper in a pageboy bob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253May 4, 2022 1:22 AM

R253 Yes, in 1805

by Anonymousreply 254May 4, 2022 1:08 PM

No, 1924.

by Anonymousreply 255May 5, 2022 12:04 AM

Cecil trying to diplomatic when analysing Hepburn's 'funny face' in 1963.

[quote] “Her facial features show character rather than prettiness: the bridge of the nose seems almost too narrow to carry its length, which flares into a globular tip with nostrils startlingly like a duck’s bill. Her wide mouth has a cleft under her lower lip, too deep for classical beauty, and the delicate chin appears even smaller by contrast to the exaggerated width of her jaw bones. Seen at the full, the outline of her face is perhaps too square; yet she intuitively tilts her head with a restless and perky asymmetry…It is a rare phenomenon to find a young girl with such inherent ‘star quality’…and it is no rash judgment to say she is one of the most interesting public embodiments of our new feminine ideal.”

by Anonymousreply 256May 5, 2022 12:11 AM

[quote]It is a rare phenomenon to find a young girl with such inherent ‘star quality’

A young girl? In 1963 she was 34.

by Anonymousreply 257May 5, 2022 3:19 PM

R96 terrible cast

by Anonymousreply 258May 5, 2022 3:24 PM

R96 Why is Estelle Winwood "American"?

by Anonymousreply 259May 5, 2022 3:48 PM

Mrs. Pat...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 5, 2022 3:52 PM

Brussels now has its own Scary Audrey statue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 5, 2022 3:55 PM

Somebody get that statue a sandwich!

by Anonymousreply 262May 5, 2022 3:58 PM

R261 I like it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263May 5, 2022 4:00 PM

The song “ A Hymn to Him” in the second act reportedly came from a conversation that Rex Harrison had with Lerner when Rex said “Alan, wouldn’t it be marvelous if we were homosexuals”. Higgins and Pickering hanging out together in that fabulous house with fussy Mrs Pearce are such a couple of old queens. Mrs Higgins’ line at the end of the Ascot sequence says it all. “You’re a pretty pair of babies playing with your live doll!” Great line.

by Anonymousreply 264May 5, 2022 4:28 PM

The opening credits are wonderful and very innovative. Andre Previn’s rendition of one of the best Broadway overtures ever written was inspired and waiting until the soaring part of “On the Street Where You Live” to discretely show the famous WB logo was very clever and subtle. It displayed the iconic logo while maintaining the elegant opening.

by Anonymousreply 265May 5, 2022 5:02 PM

I already wrote that quite a while ago when people were trashing the credits R265 and calling them dull and without imagination. If you like the film so much you would have read the entire thread. And if you did read it you should have said something like 'as a previous poster noted.'

by Anonymousreply 266May 5, 2022 5:58 PM

I also noted that what you see now is sadly 5th generation from the original negative. The photos were so much more beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 267May 5, 2022 6:23 PM

What's innovative about starting the credits late? A lot of movies did that in those days. And there's nothing innovative about a lot of color photos of flowers. Saul Bass, it ain't.

by Anonymousreply 268May 5, 2022 9:43 PM

Fuck flowers, give me...baubles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 5, 2022 9:48 PM

A lot of movies back then did not start their credits late. What movies are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 270May 5, 2022 10:13 PM

Earl Grant sounds very much like Nat King Cole.

by Anonymousreply 271May 5, 2022 10:20 PM

WSS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 5, 2022 10:27 PM

The fashion for late titles started in the late 50s.

The latest Bond movie starts the titles 23 minutes after the movie starts.

by Anonymousreply 273May 5, 2022 10:29 PM

[quote]A lot of movies back then did not start their credits late. What movies are you talking about?

As R273 says, many films of the later 50's (into the 60s) started this way - it was something 20th Century-Fox did quite a bit. One example I can think of is The Long Hot Summer (1958) where there's a scene of a barn is shown catching on fire and burning (Paul Newman's character is supposed to be a "barn burner" in the South) prior to the opening credits. The Opposite Sex (1956) from MGM begins with a sequence before the credits (see below).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 6, 2022 2:42 AM

^Nice to see those titles with Joan Collins...still with us and still a celebrity. And for me, seeing Jeff Richard's name up there...I had some fun times with him...

by Anonymousreply 275May 6, 2022 2:59 AM

WSS was unusual in that the credits came at the end of the film.

by Anonymousreply 276May 6, 2022 3:21 AM

R275 You had some fun times with this hunk?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277May 6, 2022 3:21 AM

R276 As they did with Citizen Kane. And Act Of Violence (1948).

by Anonymousreply 278May 6, 2022 3:24 AM

R277 Yep.

by Anonymousreply 279May 6, 2022 3:25 AM

Do tell us more, R275, R279.

Were you dancing or romancing?

Were you sipping cocktails at the Coconut Grove or was it all 'on the downlow"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 6, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote] Why is Estelle Winwood "American"?

My Mom loved her "The Producers". She was born in England in 1883! And she lived to 101! All the firsts she must have seen through out her life. She always seemed old, even when she wasn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 6, 2022 8:01 AM

[quote] Why is Estelle Winwood "American"?

Because she abandoned her people and her heritage to loll around in La La Land. Just like Gladys.

by Anonymousreply 282May 6, 2022 8:20 AM

R277 You cannot leave us hanging like that. Spill.

by Anonymousreply 283May 7, 2022 12:42 AM

R283 NYC. 1970s. His early 50s. Rather down on his luck. Handsome, very manly. Talked a lot about his baseball career. I was young and cute. He liked to just lay there.

by Anonymousreply 284May 7, 2022 2:11 AM

What was innovative about the MFL credits?

I always hated them.

by Anonymousreply 285May 7, 2022 2:18 AM

Because you have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 286May 7, 2022 4:10 AM

Jeff Richards died of AIDS-related complications in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 287May 7, 2022 4:21 AM

But I thought he played baseball.

by Anonymousreply 288May 7, 2022 7:31 PM

R287 Do you have a link to that?

To see what a beauty he was in his prime, go to 1:12

He didn't really look all that much different when I knew him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 8, 2022 2:01 AM

^

Wow, he was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 290May 8, 2022 7:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!