Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbie Gets a Queen Elizabeth Makeover

Who wants one? Should we buy a few? Will these be collectables?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2022 8:42 PM

It lands somewhere between Helen Mirren and Elizabeth Banks.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2022 1:22 PM

I can't wait to play with my new dolly in the tub!

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2022 1:24 PM

Who would buy such nonsense, other than gays?

Ugh, you witless fruits have far too much money!

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2022 1:28 PM

I can't find a link to buy.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2022 1:29 PM

how much pollution do these dumb dolls create?

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2022 1:31 PM

r5 Let's be real, she's not long for this world... so, once she kicks it, there will be people fishing out the raw material to sell.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2022 1:37 PM

[quote] I can't find a link to buy.

The new doll has already been photographed outside Buckingham Palace and will be available for sale starting on the Queen’s 96th birthday, April 21, from Amazon, Walmart, Target, and Mattel.

Seems already sold out? They just released, today!

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2022 2:20 PM

I'll buy one after the Tiara Troll chimes in.

I used to have a QEII doll that did her iconic wave, and gave it to a friend who lusted after it. I need this.

They won't be able to manufacture these fast enough. $75.00 seems a reasonable price, wait 'til they start scalping these online at 500 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2022 2:21 PM

[quote]Who wants one?

I do!!!

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2022 2:23 PM

It says they start selling today. Why don't any of those stores have it listed, including Mattel?

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2022 2:24 PM

If people can stand in line at Disney for a friggin popcorn bucket, I can certainly pay homage to Liz, maybe an hour wait.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2022 2:25 PM

She's already selling on Ebay for $150+.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2022 2:29 PM

[quote]It lands somewhere between Helen Mirren and Elizabeth Banks.

I'm getting post-menopausal Jenna Elfman.

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2022 2:50 PM

They just HAD to use my personal favourite of HM's tiaras, the Kokoshnik.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2022 3:47 PM

Walmart has them listed for $249.99 online. How can that mark up a $75 doll, legally?

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2022 4:37 PM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2022 7:17 PM

r14, it's the Fringe Tiara in the article.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2022 8:39 PM

[quote] "They just HAD to use my personal favourite of HM's tiaras, the Kokoshnik."

R14 & R17 It's SUPPOSED to be based on the Fringe Tiara, but it does more closely resemble the Kokoshnik.

It would've been a little more complicated and expensive, but they should've put her in what is said to be her favorite: The Girls Of Great Britain & Ireland Tiara. It's the one worn in most portraits (including bank notes and coins), and is most closely associated with her image.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2022 9:02 PM

r13 post-whatever bloat Scott Thompson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2022 9:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2022 9:14 PM

R17 which just shows how little the designers know.

The Fringe is toothy with spaces between the spikes and more delicate not as heavy.

COULD THEY NOT DO A BIT OF RESEARCH?!

DO I HAVE TO FIX EVERYTHING?

by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2022 3:19 AM

"One should always be prepared for any eventuality and any recollections that may vary." - ER

by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2022 6:46 AM

Does she have a button in the back that pays songs from Diana: The Musical?

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2022 7:44 AM

Just goes to show you that outside of DL, few people understand tiaras.

Not the pageant bullshit, but the actual, factual jeweled adornment.

Personal opinion, it should have been the George IV Diadem or the Girls of GB&I tiara.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2022 1:42 PM

Is she bendable, unlike the real one?

by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2022 1:42 PM

Probably has a spine of steel like the original.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2022 2:46 PM

^^^^ And a lizard tail.

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2022 5:12 PM

Eerie

by Anonymousreply 28April 22, 2022 5:51 PM

So, what would the rest of the family's be like?

I just get the impression Camilla's would be a kickstart vibrator with a face drawn on it.

by Anonymousreply 29April 22, 2022 6:27 PM

R24 - Nailed it!!!! My personal favourite of them all, with the Kokoshnik second.

Ah, someone who understands!

by Anonymousreply 30April 22, 2022 8:20 PM

How many crowns does she have? I guess I thought there was just the one.

by Anonymousreply 31April 22, 2022 8:29 PM

Mattel is no Madame Alexander...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32April 22, 2022 8:32 PM

R31 - She has two crowns, the one she is crowned with, St Edward's Crown, and the Imperial State Crown, which she uses for state occasions like the opening of Parliament. St Edward's Crown weighs 5lbs. All monarchs since the late 17th century have been crowned with it.

The rest fall into the diadem/coronet/tiara catagories.

She has loads of tiaras - they can be worn by anyone, although on QEII they are supposed to be a symbol of her Crowned Queen - and so, for that matter, are her hats.

Coronets have rank significance amongst the ducal class. All right, if you insist on being picky:

"While non-royal dukes are entitled to a coronet of eight strawberry leaves, to bear at a coronation and on his coat of arms, royal dukes are entitled to princely coronets (four cross pattées alternating with four strawberry leaves). The coronets of the royal family are dictated by letters patent. The Duke of York bears by letters patent, and the First Duke of Edinburgh was granted in 1957 use of, the coronet of a child of the sovereign (four crosses patées alternating with four fleurs-de-lis), while the Duke of Cornwall, Rothesay and Edinburgh has use of the Prince of Wales Coronet, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex the coronet of a child of the heir-apparent, and the current Dukes of Gloucester and of Kent, as grandsons of a sovereign bear the corresponding coronet of a royal duke. Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was first created a royal duke in 1947 by George VI and later had his status elevated to that of a full Prince of the United Kingdom in 1957 by Elizabeth II.

At coronations, apart from the differentiation of princely coronets from ducal coronets, a royal duke is also entitled to six rows of ermine spots on his mantle, as opposed to the four rows borne by an "ordinary" duke."

And after putting this up I do not EVER want to have to explain that Royal Duke - Ordinary Duke thing AGAIN!

by Anonymousreply 33April 22, 2022 11:54 PM

Is there a matching Prince Phillip Ken doll?

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2022 12:23 AM

Ty r33, very informative.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2022 2:03 AM

r33 beat me to it. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2022 2:08 AM

Doesn’t even look like her.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2022 2:16 AM

It is a perfect likeness in the Mattel Universe.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2022 2:41 AM

R31, there are more who are knowledgeable about this. But I think it's one crown and various tiaras. I know the crown worn at a coronation is heavy and not easy to move around in.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2022 6:27 AM

Many thanks indeed, R33

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2022 8:30 AM

And for those interested to hear about the Imperial State Crown from QE2 herself, here's a lovely little clip from a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2022 8:32 AM

It’s a cynical marketing ploy in her Platinum Jubilee year, knowing that silly queens will buy it. Did they get authorisation? Will any of the proceeds go to charity?

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2022 9:04 AM

The Imperial State Crown is so large and heavy she can no longer wear it. At the two last formal state openings of Parliament, it was born on a pillow in front of her and then sat on that pillow in a chair next to her to represent her sovereignty.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2022 9:05 AM

r39, as r33 stated, two state crowns and a collection of tiaras, diadems, coronets and convertibles.

There are a select few tiaras that convert to coronets (completed circles) and necklaces.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2022 1:13 PM

The eyes on her !! Behave, you cretins.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2022 2:22 PM

R44 Ah, thank you for mentioning the geometry!

Tiaras are not closed at the back; crowns and coronets are closed circles.

Whatever became of the tiny little crown Victoria was often seen in. Isn't she wearing that in the statue in front of BP?

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2022 8:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!