Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Non American TV shows

Are there any you all have found particularly compelling?

I tried to get into the German TV show Dark but could not despite so many loving it.

With so many streaming service we can now get product from all over the world.

Any suggestions?

I know today is Easter and the dead man jumps out of the grave so you can sin, so if it is quite onboard I will bump next week.

by Anonymousreply 143October 1, 2022 12:36 PM

OP, I didn't like Dark either. It was a touch too pulpy for me. A couple off the top of my head...

THE MIRE (Polish; 1980s Cold War setting; small-town newspaper reporter pursues suspicious deaths with connection to a forest with historic World War II connection)

DEUTSCHLAND 83 (Also an 80s period piece -- young, East German soldier gets unwillingly drafted as an undercover agent in West Germany by his spy aunt; subsequent seasons are set in 1986 and 1989) -- think it's on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2022 8:08 AM

R1 I saw Deutschland and loved it, I will check out the Mire.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2022 11:31 AM

London Kills

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2022 11:50 AM

For me, the best thing about streaming is being able to watch foreign shows. Here are some of my favorites

NETFLIX

Rita

Call My Agent!

Criminal

Equinox

Money Heist

Marcos

The Chestnut Man

The Valhalla Murders

Unit 42

Into The Night

Fallet

Home for Christmas

A Very Secret Service

Suburra

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2022 12:24 PM

HBOMAX

The Murders at White House Farm

Sr. Avila

The Silent Valley

Pakt

The Investigation

DCI Banks

Beartown

30 Coins

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2022 12:36 PM

Thanks for the lists, I will now start googling to learn something about them.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2022 12:38 PM

Just checked and Deutschland 83 is on Prime and Apple TV for $1.99 and episode 86 and 89 are on Hulu

by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2022 12:47 PM

Another vote for Murders at White House Farm, The Investigation, and . . .

Des (England)

Criminal: UK (2 seasons), Germany, Spain, France

Le Bureau des Legendes (The Bureau, France, 5 seasons)

Engrenages (Spirals, France, 8 seasons)

Tatortreiniger (Crime Scene Cleaner, Germany)

Rocco Schiavone (Italy, 3 seasons)

8 Zeugen (The Witnesses, Germany)

All available online for free streaming, most with English subs.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2022 12:52 PM

I watched the first season of Dark and liked it a lot but the first episode of the second season jumped ahead 20 years or so and I lost interest.

I REALLY loved Beforeigners, from Norway. A new season has just started. It’s hard to explain, just watch it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2022 12:52 PM

AMAZON PRIME

Trapped

Tandem

Unforgotten

Deep Water

Salamander

Inside Men

The Crimson Rivers

by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2022 12:57 PM

I loved Into the Night too…very fast paced and tense. I binged the first series in one night because it was so gripping.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2022 1:03 PM

OP, if you really love non American tv shows I would suggest subscribing to MHZChoice (available on Amazon or Apple TV+). MHZ has some great shows

Sandhamn Murders

Beck

Spiral

Kieler Street

The Bastards of Pizzofalcone

Amsterdam Vice

Magellan

Missing

Professor T

Murder In…

Murder By The Lake

Bukow & Konig

Crime Stories

Anatomy of Evil

Those Who Kill

Detective Ellen Lucas

Camilla Lackberg

Wallander

Tatort: Lindholm

Perfect Murders

Dicte

Imma Tataranni

Tatort: Streets of Berlin

Tatort: Borowski

Spring Tide

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2022 1:12 PM

Definitely Beck (Sweden, w/Mikael Persbrandt and Peter Haber) and Professor T (with Koen de Bouw), a brilliant series (3 seasons) from Flanders.

Thanx R10 for the heads up about Inside Men. One I missed. Watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2022 1:17 PM

Tons from the UK! Besides the detective/police procedurals such as "Lewis," "Vera," "Father Brown," etc., there are:

"The Thick of It."

"Rev."

"Rising Damp."

"Professor T"---Belgium.

Otherwise, I don't care for non-English-language shows.

by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2022 1:26 PM

[bold]Germany:[/bold]

Babylon Berlin - murder mysteries in Weimar Berlin

Charité/Charite at War - hospital drama - late 1880s/WWII

Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter) - Friends during WW2

Tannbach (Line of Separation) - Bavarian village at start of Cold War, post WW2

Deutschland 83 - spy thriller

[bold]Israel[/bold]

Fauda - spy drama with Palestinians terrorists

Srugim - Modern Orthodox "Friends" in Jerusalem

Shtisel - Haredi family drama

When Heroes Fly - buddy flick/drama set in Colombia

Prisoners of War (Hatufim) - the series that Showtime's "Homeland" is based on

Valley of Tears - Yom Kippur War drama

by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2022 1:28 PM

Kåta tider för mästaridrottare - the Swedish series about minor league footballers.

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2022 1:39 PM

I will also add that when possible, it's always better to watch with subtitles, even if you don't understand the language.

Dubbing on the streaming services is uniformly awful. An old man with a rough regional accent will be dubbed by a much younger man speaking standard English, etc.

Plus there's not all the weirdness where their lips are moving after the dubbed dialog has ended

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2022 1:51 PM

British "Slow Horses"

Only 4 episodes out so far on Apple TV, but we stream it illegally. I am tired of spy/murder mysteries but this has an entertaining angle and earnest energy. Gary Oldman hams it up as the reprobate, slovenly leader of a team of British intelligence agents who serve in a dumping ground department of MI5 due to their career-ending mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2022 2:03 PM

Elite season 5 is VERY gay and VERY hot.

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2022 3:00 PM

Derry Girls!

by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2022 3:03 PM

The French spy drama Le Bureau Des Legendes might be the best show I’ve seen in a long, long time. I watched the whole damn series in about three weeks it was so good. You think it’s gonna be just another spy show, and then it completely upends your expectations. Addicting and devastating. And the acting is excellent all around. I think it’s available on Sundance Now, which you can get through Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2022 3:20 PM

The Two Ronnies

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2022 3:21 PM

I have seen them, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2022 3:58 PM

I loved Call My Agent! (French, like a much better version of Entourage) and Borgen (Danish West Wing).

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2022 4:20 PM

Les délicieuses vacances des sodomites blasés

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2022 4:28 PM

I don't like Benny Hill, but I was changing the station and there he was doing Cleo Laine and it *was* pretty funny. Couldn't find it, but here's the Two Ronnies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 17, 2022 7:28 PM

|Some great suggestions, thanks

by Anonymousreply 27April 17, 2022 7:55 PM

Tehran on Apple TV

Season 2 stars DL fave Glenn Close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 5, 2022 3:51 PM

Season 1 Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 5, 2022 3:53 PM

Netflix's Kissing Game. Brazilian show where the main character is a bi or gay teen. He has an affair with with a hot cattle rancher. I do think there's some gay bashing in it after a video of them goes viral, but overall a great show. I watched a while ago but I do think the rancher and the kid stay together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2022 4:12 PM

Is Tehran some pro Israeli propaganda or a proper show?

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2022 4:15 PM

The original Swedish-Danish version of The Bridge is excellent. It’s called “Bron/Broen” and I think it’s on Netflix in the US.

by Anonymousreply 32May 5, 2022 4:32 PM

Servant of the People on Netflix! Lead actor, who plays a fictional president of Ukraine, is now the REAL president of Ukraine! It's hilarious and Vladimir Zelensky (sic, probably) is a natural.

by Anonymousreply 33May 5, 2022 4:54 PM

I just rewatched Call My Agent. Really enjoyed it especially compared to the recent abysmal British remake. But the ending was so sad!

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2022 7:56 AM

I didn’t realize the Belgian show Into the Night had a 2nd season. This is the one about the sun sending out a massive flare which kills anyone caught outside and an airplane with a few passengers flying west to avoid daylight. Episodes are very fast paced. The first season they confronted a variety of problems and in the end, the remaining passengers and crew found a deep underground military bunker that would protect them at an airbase. The 2nd season deals with them living with the soldiers, food supplies getting low, suspicions running wild, contact with other survivors elsewhere. The 3rd season, is produced by a Turkish company with a new title and shifts to an entirely new set of survivors, Navy guys aboard a submarine who have rescued some scientists aboard their mini-sub and what is happening from a different perspective.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2022 11:10 AM

Call My Agent! sounded vapid and dumb to me but I took French in school and was curious about watching a French TV series—I LOVED it. Really loved it. It's not totally stupid and it's not really artsy. It's just fun and funny.

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2022 11:36 AM

Thanks for popping in R35 that sounds intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2022 11:36 AM

Oh, and the European series Borgia was very interesting.

It's a French-German-Czech-Italian production company collaboration.

It made the Showtime Borgias series seem tame by comparison. The one thing that was really hard to look beyond is that it's like a Lars Von Trier movie in that the cast is an assemblage of people from different countries, and so the casting is nonsensical. Parents and siblings speak with different accents and look nothing alike. But as an imagined history lesson and because of the extreme drama of history's most corrupt Pope, it's worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2022 11:39 AM

Call My Agent is brilliant, by my god that British remake... I couldn't finish the first episode. Might give it another shot, see if it becomes its own thing.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2022 11:43 AM

R39- You found Call 📞 My Agent brilliant?

I found it ordinary. I guess you’re easy to please.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2022 11:50 AM

I agree it's not 'brilliant,' but it's very entertaining.

I liked that it defied the artsy-French expectation and is just a straightforward TV series that blends comedy and drama and still has a Frenchy feel given the relationships among the characters.

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2022 11:52 AM

If I wanted to pay to sit in the dark and listen to languages I didn't understand, I would fly Spirit Airlines.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2022 11:54 AM

Hilarious how American posters get triggered when someone uses the word "brilliant", a word that is used on a daily basis for quality stuff on the UK.

This place is such a quaint little bubble.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2022 11:58 AM

*in the UK

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2022 11:58 AM

Doc Martin...I'm in love with the village setting.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2022 12:09 PM

Flower of Evil- South Korea

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2022 12:09 PM

R43 It's not about being triggered; it's about the word having a radically different connotation in the two countries.

People from the UK use 'brilliant' very casually, just like some Brits use 'really' incessantly, almost like a vocal tick. 'Brilliant' seems to pretty much mean "good" to Brits, which I think is funny, because in the U.S., 'brilliant' only means 'exceptional.' But also in the U.S., we are more apt to lavish people with compliments, whereas British people seem to say, for example, "not bad" when an American would say "that was great!" It's just funny to me.

American people are probably overly complimentary, but we think British people are over-praising when they use "brilliant," and actually "brilliant" to a British person means "that was pretty good," while "that wasn't bad" to a British person means "that was good," and to an American "that wasn't bad" means "I'm disappointed, but it could have been worse."

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2022 12:16 PM

Line of Duty with Adrian Dunbar and Martin Compston is the most compelling series I've ever seen, and I'm not into crime dramas at all. The writing is excellent and the acting is great.

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2022 12:41 PM

W1a is a mockumentary about the BBC that's pretty funny. Jason Watkins plays an office suckup who says "brilliant" in response to absolutely everything, sometimes twice in the same sentence. It never gets old lol.

by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2022 2:14 PM

Thanks for that, r48! I'm a tad bored with "Lewis," "Father Brown," and the later seasons of "Midsomer Murders," so "Line of Duty" on Britbox it will be!

Note: Season 8 of "Endeavour" begins 6/19! Alas, only three episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2022 2:26 PM

I LOVE The Windsors and ave rewatched it numerous times. How I wish they would resume production and make each serious longer than 6 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2022 2:31 PM

SKAM France is one of my favourites, especially series 3, the gay storyline. Series 1, 2 and 5 are we;; worth watching too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2022 2:36 PM

Endeavour is only three episodes? I wait YEARS for each new season.

by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2022 4:37 PM

Gomorrah and The Bureau are my two favorite shows of ALL time.

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2022 6:10 PM

I just watched Murder in Provence last night. It was… okay. I will watch the remaining two episodes because I love Roger Allam and his relationship with his partner (and her mother) is funny and well done but other than that, the directing seems off. He and the police asst superintendent are always meeting on (picturesque!) streets, speaking a few lines of dialogue and then splitting up. It’s a low budget effort that is camouflaged by the glimpses of gorgeous backgrounds.

There were complaints that the characters, all French, in France, were played by Brits speaking normally, ie they weren’t supposed to be expats. That was a bit weird but whatever. What was unusual to me is that Allam playing a suave judge is very involved with the investigation of the crime, it’s explained in one of the scenes. The judge directs the investigation, not the chief of detectives. That’s how it’s done in France which seems VERY weird if true.

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2022 12:05 PM

I've been watching a lot of non-American TV series/miniseries in the past couple of years - many of them available on HBOMax.

There are several from Spain:

Patria (probably my favorite) is set in Basque country over a period of several years, about two women who initially were very close friends - until the husband of one is killed by separatist terrorists, one of whom may be the son of the other woman.

Foodie Love is about a guy and a woman who begin dating as a result of their mutual love of good food. The guy in the lead is played by actor Guillermo Pfening, who was the star of a pretty good gay film from several years ago called Nobody's Watching.

One Way or Another is a comedy that defies description. It's over-the-top, vulgar, garish - and a lot of fun - about two small-town young friends who reconnect a few years later and experience a bit of culture clash in modern Madrid.

30 Coins is a crazy demonic horror series that borders on camp, but the main reason I watched was because of the hottness of actor Miguel Ángel Silvestre.

Scandinavia has a number of enjoyable detective/mystery series:

Beartown involves a small downtrodden factory town, hockey culture, personal rivalries and a rape.

The Investigation is a Danish miniseries about the criminal investigation of the 2017 death of a Swedish reporter.

Before We Die - the Swedish version, not the way-inferior English remake - aired on PBS and involves the police tracking down a Croatian organized crime family, and the complications that ensure with the involvement of the son of one of the officers.

Modus, another PBS series, involves a criminal psychologist/profiler working with the police in solving a crime. The second season, partly in English, costarred Kim Cattrall as President of the U.S.

Beforeigners - the one non-crime series I've seen - is about people from different time periods popping up in present-day Norway. It's a lot of fun.

From the Middle East: Our Boys is about the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers, allegedly by Hamas. I found it pretty involving.

The Czech series Pustina (AKA Wasteland) despite the subtitles, feels kind of American. It's set in a dying factory town where the daughter of the town's feisty mayor is kidnapped, setting up a battle with the mayor and the town's coal industry.

I also like the romantic comedy series When Shall We Kiss (from Hungary), the Italian detective series Thou Shalt Not Kill, and the German-Romanian miniseries Hackerville.

And last certainly but not least, the Italian series on HBO, My Brilliant Friend.

One final comment: I really disliked the Romanian series The Silent Valley. It's about two teenage boys meeting clandestinely (and falling for each other) and then witnessing murders. It feels rushed and the ending is really unsatisfactory and (I'd argue homo-queasy). There's an American version called Eyewitness that's way more enjoyable and (despite it being convoluted at times) and which has an ending that's way more effective.

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2022 2:18 PM

"ensure"? - Ha, I meant to say "ensue" there @ R56 when talking about "Before We Die."!

by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2022 2:23 PM

R55, I also love Roger Allam! So I recommend to you an ensemble show called "The Thick of It." IMO it's brilliant in its scathing satire of UK politics. Brilliantly vulgar as well!

by Anonymousreply 58June 18, 2022 4:27 PM

R56 Wow, I'm C&Ping this, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 59June 18, 2022 7:23 PM

Original Skam from Norway, gay season is excellent. This is scene is superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 18, 2022 7:52 PM

I need to start The Thick of It over again. I was watching it while working on something else and no, you really need to pay attention. I can’t think of a comparable US show.

Beforeigners is great fun but too long between seasons, I’ve forgotten some of the overarching plot.

by Anonymousreply 61June 18, 2022 8:05 PM

Bron/Broen has been mentioned before. Excellent series, four sesons. Saga Noren is everything. Here is the first episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 18, 2022 8:05 PM

And I love the inrto. Nordic noir for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 18, 2022 8:07 PM

The Bureau is a perfect, devastating series. It’s actually hard to take most espionage series even halfway seriously now after watching it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 18, 2022 8:48 PM

A couple of shows that haven't been mentioned so far:

Belgium: two French language ones: "The Break" (La Trève), "Hotel Beau Séjour" (shortened to "Beau Séjour" for its second season, which is great), and a Flemish one, "The Twelve."

Israel: "Losing Alice" and "Tehran", which has already been mention

Finland: "Bordertown" and "Deadwind"

Germany: "Perfume" and "The Allegation". s well as the fantastic "Babylon Berlin".

France: "La Forêt", "La Mante", "Le Chalet", "Witnesses" (Les Témoins), "The Frozen Dead", "Black Zone"

And, if you haven't watched the reboot (Season 4) of "Borgen", WTF are you waiting for??

by Anonymousreply 65June 18, 2022 10:40 PM

I just discovered Black Books by accident and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's hilarious, if you like British comedies. Dylan Moran is a pleasure to look at, so so so my type.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2022 9:14 PM

Is it true that this Season 8 is the "Endeavour" series finale? Strange seems to have lost a bit of weight; I liked him heavier.

Thanks for all the excellent recommendations above.

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2022 5:26 PM

I’m looking forward to Season 4 of Borgen. I think Madam Secretary totally stole its concept from Borgen.

I absolutely loved Klem (Blood Pact), a Dutch series on Amazon (with a PBS Masterpiece/Walter Presents subscription). It ran for 3 seasons, 10 episodes each. It’s about two little girls who become extremely close friends while their parents get drawn into storied involving murder, kidnapping and all sorts of mayhem. The three main adult principal actors are fabulous. The show was so popular a film version has recently been shot and will be in cinemas in November.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2022 6:35 PM

Omg you’re right, this is the last season. I am distraught.

by Anonymousreply 69June 21, 2022 1:54 AM

Has anyone seen the Nordic detective show Wisting? It looks pretty good….

by Anonymousreply 70June 21, 2022 4:36 AM

Yes, both seasons, R70. It's really good. S2 is a bit short but based on a single book. S1 incorporated plots of two of the books in the series.

by Anonymousreply 71June 21, 2022 10:35 AM

I really liked the new series of Borgen. I’d get ice cream with the Arctic Ambassador guy and his sweater any time.

by Anonymousreply 72June 30, 2022 10:24 AM

Deadwind on Netflix is pretty good and grim. Lots of snow, rain and the rookie detective is very hot.

by Anonymousreply 73June 30, 2022 10:39 AM

I’m enjoying This Is Going to Hurt, with Ben Whishaw as a gay doctor working in the ob/gyn department of a London hospital. Based on the memoir by Dr. Adam Kay. Available on AMC+ via Amazon Prime. Pay subscription. I’ve timed it so I’ll only pay for one month. My favorite program of any sort in a long time.

Also I read in a link from Town and Country magazine that Endeavour is now shooting season nine, and it will be the final season.

by Anonymousreply 74June 30, 2022 10:42 AM

"Veneno" (Spain) is absolutely brilliant, very entertaining and based on a real-life personality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 30, 2022 10:48 AM

Dubbing has gotten a lot better. I watched Lupin dubbed in English and it was fine.

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2022 1:06 PM

Signora Volpe was mentioned on one of these threads. It's a British show set in Italy, near Perugia. Lots of scenery and an oddly unattractive lake. It's only three (unconnected, ie no arc) episodes. The first episode was really good, she's an MI-6 (?) agent on leave and uses her technical skills to find out what happened to her niece's fiance. It's fast paced and quick thinking but set in sunny Italy and not grim-serious. The second episode is more mundane so far, solving a decade old mystery about a missing girl.

by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2022 3:07 PM

Elite season 5. Very gay and very hot.

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2022 7:15 PM

Wisting is very good. I'm streaming it on AMC+, but I think it's available elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2022 7:22 PM

I've watched a lot of nordic noir shows on Netflix lately and I'm surprised how unrealistic many of them are. Why are they so popular? On the Bridge they often kill dozens of people each season and nobody in their respective countries seems to care. The autistic lead is so irritating and weird, I doubt someone with her interpersonal skills would be allowed on active duty. On Deadwind the two cops routinely break into people's houses without warrants, constantly disobey orders and the show has plot holes so big you can drive a truck through. The chief of police killed 15 teenagers and it was back to business the next day. Is this how police work in Finland works?

The Valhalla Murders and Bordertown are not much better.

The scenery and landscape is usually stunning though. It's also currently 102 degrees in my city so I enjoy all the snow, ice and grim atmosphere.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a more realistic series on Neflix?

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2022 10:28 PM

British - Marcella - Netflix - crime show.

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2022 11:02 PM

I came across a good one last night...TROPPO. Set in Queensland and starring DL fave, Thomas Jane as an ex police detective, now full time drunk.

I really liked it, good acting, complicated mystery, a real sense of place. LOTS of crocodiles. Snakes. Geese. Worth watching.

It's on Freevee which downloaded itself when i downloaded the Stitcher podcast app, not cool, but it turns out to be the revamped IMDb tv app, still not cool, but it was free to watch. 8 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 82July 16, 2022 12:01 AM

There are a bunch of light-but-charming shows on Masterpiece

Grantchester (UK)

The Durrells of Corfu (UK)

All Creatures Great And Small (Remake, UK)

Seaside Hotel (DK)

All sort of frothy with beautiful scenery and period costumes

by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2022 12:10 AM

Another vote for "Borgen" — the story of Denmark's first female prime minister, just brilliantly written and cast. Completely absorbing.

"Gran Hotel" (Spain) is the perfect melding of "Downton Abbey" and "Dynasty." Every episode ends on a telenovela-type cliffhanger, the production values are beautiful, the scheming is delicious, and the men are something to see.

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2022 12:40 AM

Have you watched Borgen: Power and Glory yet, R84? I loved it but was frustrated that they didn’t address what actually happened to the very attractive Malik.

by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2022 12:09 PM

I enjoyed the Netflix Nordic Noir series “The Chestnut Man” and “Equinox”.

“The Woods” (Poland) is also very good

For anyone interested in lighter non-crime series I highly recommend “Rita” on Netflix. It’s funny and sweet but not corny. Also “Love & Anarchy” and “Home for Christmas”

by Anonymousreply 86July 16, 2022 1:54 PM

The Canadian series Cardinal is excellent. It’s available on Hulu and AcornTV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 16, 2022 1:58 PM

Rita. Danish comedy Drama

by Anonymousreply 88July 16, 2022 2:04 PM

Jesus. I'm watching Wisting right now and it is so good.

by Anonymousreply 89July 19, 2022 4:00 AM

[quote]Have you watched Borgen: Power and Glory yet, [R84]? I loved it but was frustrated that they didn’t address what actually happened to the very attractive Malik.

Yes. I enjoyed it but would have liked Ulrik and Hanne to return as presenters at the TV station.

by Anonymousreply 90July 19, 2022 4:09 AM

I May Destroy You, Chewing Gum, Summer Heights High and Band of Gold.

by Anonymousreply 91July 19, 2022 4:13 AM

I remember watching Yes, Minister or Yes, Prime Minister on PBS in high school. Very good. Is it streaming anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 92July 19, 2022 4:15 AM

I agree with so many mentioned above, especially for the Nordic noirs.

For sheer camp, Footballer$’ Wive$ was great!

by Anonymousreply 93July 19, 2022 4:22 AM

R90, I was a little annoyed that Hanne was never even mentioned. What the hell happened to her? But then again Kasper was never mentioned, either, and he’s the father of one of Katrine’s children.

by Anonymousreply 94July 19, 2022 11:53 AM

Can someone please suggest something light and clever, not a detective series or a police procedural? I really like Call My Agent.

by Anonymousreply 95July 19, 2022 12:09 PM

R95

It's British, and it's mindless comedy with some convoluted plots and silly characters, but you might want to take a look at "Agatha Raisin." (The plots may actually be clever and I'm getting lost.) Think of it as a comical version of 'Midsomer Murders', with more likeable characters, but just as many dead locals.

It isn't smart and witty in the manner of "Call My Agent" but it's a nice break from serious TV (which I love, but sometimes I need silly.)

Search for the "British TV Discussion" threads for many, many great suggestions, reviews, and random commentary.

by Anonymousreply 96July 19, 2022 12:21 PM

In For Murder (Netflix/Poland)

“A stay at home mom and avid reader of crime stories discovers the deepest secrets of her small town’s residents while investigating a woman’s murder”

Framed! A Sicilian Murder Mystery (Netflix)

Very lighthearted comedy series set in Sicily

The Parisian Agency (Netflix)

A real estate show with emphasis on beautiful properties rather than manufactured drama among agents and clients

Queen (Netflix/Poland)

Heartwarming tale of an elderly drag queen

by Anonymousreply 97July 19, 2022 1:20 PM

Anything involving Chris Lilley is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 98July 19, 2022 4:04 PM

R95: You might enjoy "Doc Martin" on Ovation.

by Anonymousreply 99July 19, 2022 4:33 PM

Swedish Dicks - An Swedish/American tv series staring Peter Stormare. You can watch it free on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 22, 2022 4:45 PM

For those who watched Wisting: the same actor made "Valkyrien" , 8 episodes.

A Norwegian physician is struggling with the death of his wife, quits his hospital job and ends up working as an underground doctor (literally) for people who can't go to the regular (free!) hospital (criminals with bullet wounds, illegal immigrants who'll be deported, people who want experimental treatments). The clinic is in the subway tunnels under Oslo and run by a paranoid doomsday prepper. That's where it starts. It's really good.

by Anonymousreply 101August 15, 2022 12:43 PM

Harrow Kim and Kath No Activity All Excellent Australian Shows

by Anonymousreply 102August 15, 2022 12:47 PM

A French Village

[quote]This acclaimed drama is about the German occupation of France during World War II, and its effects on the inhabitants of a small village in Jura. In June 1940, the village of Villeneuve awakes to the arrival of the German army - and the next four years of occupation have a shattering effect on the lives of all its inhabitants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 15, 2022 12:48 PM

Pachinko for Korea.

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2022 12:49 PM

Arde Madrid: Burn Madrid Burn

[quote]Comedy-drama about a right-wing party loyalist posing as a domestic, sent to spy on Hollywood actress Ava Gardner during her wild stay in Madrid in the early 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 15, 2022 12:50 PM

I love Pachinko.

by Anonymousreply 106August 15, 2022 1:48 PM

It's kind of refreshing that most of the women in these Nordic Noir series look like real women and not models with perfect bodies and teeth. I'm currently watching Deadwind on Netflix and the female detective would be considered fat or obese and never get a job as a lead on an American series. I also thought Sarga Noren, the lead on the Bridge, was not particularly attractive. Most of the men also look like real life cops - they're mostly fat, bald and unattractive - with the exception of Hendrik (Bron) and the stunningly beautiful Sakari Nurmi on Deadwind.

by Anonymousreply 107August 21, 2022 4:42 AM

Dark is for fatties, enbies, and eurokweers who think The Big Bang Theory is “smart programming!”

by Anonymousreply 108August 21, 2022 4:45 AM

I am loving Beforeigners about immigrants who time travel.

Subversively funny.

by Anonymousreply 109August 21, 2022 6:48 AM

The "More British TV Discussion" thread is locked for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 110September 2, 2022 1:30 PM

Foreign tv shows with gay storylines on Netflix: Alma, Tu no eres especial, Donde Hubo Fuego

by Anonymousreply 111September 2, 2022 4:05 PM

I'm R111, it's better to read it like this... gay tv shows on Netflix:

Alma

Donde Hubo Fuego

Tu no eres especial

by Anonymousreply 112September 2, 2022 4:06 PM

I just watched the first episode of Suspect and didn't quite believe that the main character is Aidan Turner for several minutes. He's got a big bushy beard for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 113September 4, 2022 2:25 PM

That beard has its own thread, it really is a sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 4, 2022 2:30 PM

In My Skin (Hulu) - coming of age Welsh teenager dealing with a mentally ill mother and an abusive father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 4, 2022 2:59 PM

[quote] Note: Season 8 of "Endeavour" begins 6/19! Alas, only three episodes.

[quote] Endeavour is only three episodes? I wait YEARS for each new season.

[quote] Is it true that this Season 8 is the "Endeavour" series finale?

You’ve all probably watched the three episodes by now of this season of Endeavour. I don’t know how it plays in the UK, but it seems to be structured with a cliffhanger right in the middle, so that a platform could broadcast the season as six episodes instead of three.

I tried watching until the halfway point in the second PBS-broadcast episode, and yeah, it was like that. I’d rather watch six 45-minute episodes than three 90-minute ones.

As has been posted above, there will be a season 9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 4, 2022 3:12 PM

If you want something purely to feel good like wholesome sunshine that will leave you in a good place when it's done try South Korea's Extraordinary Attorney Woo.

Had to put my cat down after rushing out of town because my mother was dying (she didn't) I needed some distraction and just happened to see the ad for this show and gave it a try.

It's disgustingly charming and heartwarming, perfect for me at the time on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 117September 4, 2022 3:23 PM

Harlan Coben, who hails from Livingston and Ridgewood, NJ, and is one of my favorite mystery writers, has had a number of his novels produced as TV miniseries in France, England, Poland, and (I think) Spain.

Do I wish they'd kept the original Essex / Hudson / Union / Bergen county locations in New Jersey? Hell, yes. But the money isn't there for that, I suppose. And even if they were set in NJ, they'd probably be shot in Canada.

They're decent enough. DL fave Richard Armitage is in a few of them. And Michael C. Hall. And Cush Jumbo is the star of one.

Maybe you'll enjoy one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 4, 2022 3:33 PM

The one I'm really enjoying right now is an Irish show, "Bad Sisters", with Sharon Horgan. I believe it's a remake of a Belgian show from 10 years ago. It's a murder mystery of sorts infused with plenty of dark humor.

by Anonymousreply 119September 4, 2022 3:55 PM

I just saw a recommendation for Bad Sisters on Reddit as well, I'll give it a go.

by Anonymousreply 120September 4, 2022 4:35 PM

I just saw a recommendation for Bad Sisters on Reddit as well, I'll give it a go.

by Anonymousreply 121September 4, 2022 4:35 PM

Sorry for the double post, dears.

by Anonymousreply 122September 4, 2022 4:35 PM

Just finished the first episode of Bad Sisters and it was great! Beautifully shot and I'm looking forward to the murder mystery being slowly revealed to us. The flashback with Claes Bang was interminable, he's like Donald Trump and the cuntiest DLer rolled into one.

Daryl McCormack is in this, looking more beautiful than ever. Peaky Blinders, The Wheel of Time, that Emma Thompson movie, Bad Sisters... this guy's going places, he's endlessly charismatic. He's what we were promised Alfred Enoch would be. I'm getting a slight whiff of the homo, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 5, 2022 1:34 AM

Just getting around to watching Shetland and holy shit, it’s really good. How did I never watch this show before? And it’s perhaps the most beautifully shot thing I’ve watched in a while.

by Anonymousreply 124September 8, 2022 4:44 AM

R124 I really enjoyed Shetland and the scenery is beautiful. Though at times I needed to turn on the subtitles when the accents were too thick.

Ghosts is a fun watch - and there should be a new season coming out soon.

by Anonymousreply 125September 8, 2022 5:09 AM

Thanks R124/R125. I needed a new British crime drama.

by Anonymousreply 126September 8, 2022 10:32 AM

R124 I love it when they refer to Bergen and sometimes Norway. This country is after all the closest country to Shetland.

by Anonymousreply 127September 8, 2022 12:34 PM

A season or two ago, they filmed a couple episodes in Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 128September 25, 2022 10:49 PM

I binged Australia's "Mr & Mrs Murder" this weekend on Acorn and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent. Imagine a murder mystery dramedy featuring sparkling dialogue and engaging adult leads a la "The Thin Man." So entertaining! Any other fans here?

Sadly, the show was not renewed after its 13-episode first season, but leaves a legacy of 13 hours of quality programming.

Next, I'm going to take a look at "My Life Is Murder," starring Lucy Lawless.

by Anonymousreply 129September 26, 2022 4:06 AM

Babylon Berlin (Germany)

Thirty Coins (Spain)

by Anonymousreply 130September 26, 2022 4:55 AM

Loved Mr and Mrs Murder. It was particularly amusing because Kat Stewart, who plays the wife, had her breakout role in the first season of the true crime drama Underbelly playing a foul-mouthed, sinister character. This was such a sharp contrast. I loved how she was always wanting to give people hugs.

Not at all sure you're gonna love My Life is Murder as much, but if you do, it looks like there's a new season in the offing in Oz.

I second R130's Babylon Berlin: not funny but very good.

by Anonymousreply 131September 26, 2022 4:56 AM

Three Spanish-language series starring Miguel Ángel Silvestre: SKY ROJO (Netflix): About three prostitutes on the run from their pimp and his bodyguards; 30 MONEDAS/30 COINS (HBO Max): About a small town where supernatural events begin to occur with the arrival of a disgraced priest; and LOS ENVIADOS/ THE ENVOYS (Peacock): About two priests who are task with confirming or discrediting supposed miracles.

WHITE LINES (Netflix): British/Spanish series about a woman who goes to Ibiza to try to solve the mystery of the murder of her brother and becomes wrapped up with the people from his past.

by Anonymousreply 132September 26, 2022 5:22 AM

[quote]Not at all sure you're gonna love My Life is Murder as much,

You were spot on, R131; I couldn't get past the second episode of "My Life Is Murder." Soapy dreck!

by Anonymousreply 133September 28, 2022 9:14 PM

Thanks for the great thread.

I've added a few things to my watch lists and more to follow for availability on Just watch.

KLEO is a German series of 8 episodes set at the time if the fall of the Berlin Wall. The protagonist Kleo is a young spy for East Germany who after successfully completing an assassination in a West German night club is double-crossed and sets out to unravel why and by whom and to kill her enemies.

It's violent and gruesome and funny, at times dark, at times almost silly, and always absurd and with surprising turns. There's a sex obsessed techno nerd whose friends launch a techno club scene with referenced to Berghain, interesting camera work, locations, clothes, eccentric hairstyles, and interior of the period. The pace is not quite that of Run Lola Run but it's similar in feel. It's very well constructed silly, dark humor that I found really entertaining in its turns. And the historical setting, with many details linked to GDR history is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 134September 28, 2022 11:30 PM

Kleo’s just been renewed for Season 2, R134.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 29, 2022 12:13 PM

Thanks, R135. I'll look forward to seeing if Kleo S2 it is similarly good.

by Anonymousreply 136September 29, 2022 5:26 PM

I’m watching Kleo now, the set design is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 137September 30, 2022 7:02 PM

Montalbano.

Love it.

Terrific main character and great plots.

Limited number of episodes.

A nice assortment of supporting characters.

Fantastic settings in Sicily.

I think there may be some tours that one can take which allow you to stay in the apartment used by the main character and visit the sites from some of the episodes.

Highly recommended.

Italian subtitles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 30, 2022 7:16 PM

Lots of good suggestions. The third series of the great Trapped with its bear-like Icelandic sex god is on Netflix as Entrapped. Happy Valley with James Norton is also terrific, not sure where you can find it.

by Anonymousreply 139September 30, 2022 8:01 PM

Oh and the BBC’s Guilt with Mark Bonnar, set in Edinburgh.

by Anonymousreply 140September 30, 2022 8:03 PM

Mark Bonnar's face, bearded or bare, is one of my life's guilty pleasures; his expression ("Hi, kid") in the last frame of "Guilt 2" is priceless. In the old days his "mug" would have been universally lauded.

I'm hoping there will be a third season of "Guilt."

by Anonymousreply 141October 1, 2022 3:19 AM

There’s a website “justwatchwhere” that lists where you can watch these shows.

by Anonymousreply 142October 1, 2022 12:19 PM

8 episodes (out of 10) in and "Bad Sisters" is still great. At this point, more than finding out who killed "The Prick" and how they got away with it, I want his death to be as gruesome as possible.

by Anonymousreply 143October 1, 2022 12:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!