Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Comfort Of Strangers (1990)

This film is so odd to me and not enjoyable at all, but I know people who love this film! I think it has a strong cast of all talent, but nothing about this film flows to me. It feels… pretentious.

Rupert Everett was at his peak beauty though. He looked gorgeous in this film!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 3:54 AM

Venice was my favorite character, especially the walkways. And Rupert was still so beautiful. I'm going to watch it again. Thanks, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2022 12:38 AM

I love this movie: everything about it....the score, the cinematography, and the opaque dialogue. I've lined it up to watch on a rainy Saturday with Death in Venice and Don't Look Now.

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2022 1:01 AM

r2, you need to add Visconti's White Nights.

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2022 1:03 AM

R3, Thanks, I will!

by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2022 1:05 AM

How strange! I saw that movie many, many, many years ago so just looked on IMDb to remind myself about it. One of the weird guys from an early season of Project Runway was in the cast. Daniel Franco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2022 1:09 AM

The narrator of the trailer is hilarious. It sounds like a parody. Is this how it was done in the 90ies?

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2022 1:09 AM

r4: oops, my mistake: I just realized white Nights is filmed and set in Livorno (another seaside italian town), and not venice.

Well, I recommend you see it anyway. It's a great movie.

But for other great films actually set in Venice, I recommend Viscontio's "Senso" and Iain Softley's 1997 "the Wings of the Dove."

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2022 1:10 AM

"Death in Venice", anybody?

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2022 1:14 AM

Ugh, I always get this confused with Dance With A Stranger, and the wonderfully wicked Miranda Richardson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2022 1:17 AM

R6 watch old trailers. Most of them had a voiceover. I hate old trailers. It was only effective at times, like for Horror films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2022 1:18 AM

I always felt like they should have used the Julia Fordham song for when the credits rolled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2022 1:20 AM

Don't Look Now is Venice at its creepiest.

I also like the novel The Comfort of Strangers, great novel.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2022 1:21 AM

Remember being shocked by the ending but loving the decadent Venetian atmosphere .Of course the beyond scenery chewing performance of Walken was the icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2022 1:23 AM

R10 but did they always have this campy, overdone style? This would be OK for "Young Frankenstein" but for "Comfort of Strangers"?

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2022 1:23 AM

Time has not been kind to Miss Everett...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 3, 2022 6:00 AM

It's a weird movie. Paul Schrader was trying on a new style and sensibility, and it doesn't always work. But it is memorable and Rupert Everett was truly gorgeous. Nice shots of his ass while banging Natasha Richardson. I jerked off to those a few times in the VHS days.

by Anonymousreply 16May 3, 2022 11:45 AM

My current YT feed is recommending this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 1:48 AM

Weird balance of Richardson and Everett, who are charisma voids, and Walken and Mirren, who are overly charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 2:30 AM

I love this film, the cast, the screenplay by Pinter, Shrader's direction, and the novel by Ian McEwan.

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 3:01 AM

I love Christopher Walken and liked him in this movie until I saw him in his recurring role as The Continental on SNL. Now, I can't watch The Comfort of Strangers without thinking of him as The Continental.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 3:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!