Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

EastEnders Legend June Brown Is Dead To Me!

The Dame that never was(and should have been). RIP June.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2022 9:27 PM

Isn't she the one who was constantly smoking? 95 is pretty impressive (genetic luck I guess) unless it was only for the show.

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote]"No, I wouldn't vote Labour, dear, if you paid me."

I hope the Twitter gays don't get wind of this, or their tears may turn to joy. RIP June.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2022 12:44 PM

Her daughter(?) gave her a personalised cigarette box that hid all the health warnings, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2022 12:46 PM

"Our Father what art in 'eaven"

I will say a prayer in Cockney for her.

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2022 12:49 PM

A warning to everyone about the dangers of smoking! Another one gone too soon!!

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2022 12:55 PM

I remember someone saying that it felt like Christopher Lee would go on and on, and now that I think of it, I felt that way about June.

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2022 1:00 PM

I loved the moment Ms Brown shared with Gaga on the Graham Norton Show.

Gaga really is a delight when she’s around the older generation.

And Norton does what he does best: he throws in the odd question, but is smart enough to recognise when the guests are running the show themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2022 1:00 PM

She is a perfect example of what I always say- There are people who could eat RAT POISON everyday and still live to 110.

Alright she did not live till 110 but she smoked for MANY decades and still lived until 95.

I've watched The Duchess Of Duke Street many times on Amazon. She played Louis Trotter's annoying mother on that show. She was good as that character.

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2022 1:26 PM

Was in Joe Allen’s in the West End years ago one Saturday night and a lot of the Eastenders cast were at a huge table next to us celebrating June’s birthday. She seemed a lively ole’ gal and Barbara Windsor was a delight.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2022 2:07 PM

Dot was one of the great soap characters.

There's lots of stupid things on American soaps but Dot was one of the more recent memory character that was a CHARACTER - I used to point to her as an example. She was unlikeable at times, but so many people had a grandma or neighbor just like her. American soaps used to have a few characters like her but seldom do now.

RIP June Brown!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2022 2:15 PM

At least she was alive.

Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2022 2:23 PM

Oh, I SAY!

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2022 2:26 PM

r10, Dot Cotton was like the English equivalent to Myrtle Fargate on All My Children (also played by a British actress Eileen Hurlie, originally from Scotland).

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2022 2:30 PM

R13 Yes, I was also thinking Phoebe too. Not the wealth part - but a character that judged others, that could be intensely unlikeable and still have the audience interested.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2022 2:36 PM

Has Ian Beale issued a statement?

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2022 4:31 PM

I wonder how EE will commemorate her death. Dotty will salivating for her portion of her grandmother’s estate.

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2022 4:47 PM

Not Dot Cotten! I used to watch East Enders all the time in the '90s and she looked like she was in her 90s back then. RIP

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2022 4:55 PM

Although she is best known for her role as Dot Cotton in EE, Brown had a long and varied CV which included Gormenghast(below) and guest appearances on Doctor Who and even General Hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2022 5:09 PM

Stephen Fry:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2022 5:24 PM

r18, the UK General Hospital in the 70s, not the US version. I was just trying to imagine Dot Cotton in Port Charles lol

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2022 5:40 PM

She was a foreign Broadway star?

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2022 5:55 PM

Thanks for correcting me, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2022 6:31 PM

r5 = Elizabeth II

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2022 6:48 PM

She played Gemma Jones's mother in The Duchess of Duke Street.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2022 7:34 PM

There’s a scene in The Duchess of Duke Street in which Louisa and her mother have yet another bitter row, and the film editor didn’t cut away fast enough from June’s closeup after the last line. You can see her start to smile and begin laughing. Her dialogue had been so nasty it actually was funny to her, but she had played the scene really well.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2022 7:49 PM

This post has me howling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2022 3:34 AM

Well, except for the self-pitying "I really hope treating people like shit was worth it." at the end.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2022 3:39 AM

Dot sure knew her Bible! Chapter *and* verse!

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2022 3:48 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2022 4:08 AM

Poor Dot, she certainly carried her son's cross. Until she couldn't put up with Dirty Nick and served humanity by offing him.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2022 4:18 AM

I’ve never seen EastEnders, but I did see her on Graham Norton with Gaga, and she was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 31April 17, 2022 11:52 PM

r16 I think they will wait at least six months before they kill her character offscreen out of respect to her family.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2022 12:07 AM

R16 Just announced that Dot's death will be covered "towards the end of the year."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2022 1:15 AM

UGLY BITCH

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2022 1:23 AM

R20 She would've fit in fine back when you had characters such as Ruby and Nurse Jessie.

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2022 2:07 AM

Smoked like a fucking chimney and still made it to 95, God bless her.

by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2022 2:15 AM

I shall have a small sweet sherry in her honor.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2022 12:35 PM

Eastenders used to be such a staple on PBS, but I do not think I have seen it in years. I am guessing there are some contractual or licensing changes with British TV on PBS, because you don't see that or any of the comedies anymore, just the mysteries and Masterpiece shows.

by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2022 12:53 PM

R38, I think it got too expensive for PBS. Back when I was watching, the NYC station was always saying how expensive the program was to broadcast. Plus it really began to go downhill with storylines.

The divas, Pauline, Pat, Peggy, Dot were aging and they didn’t know what to do with them.

They put too much emphasis on the Slaters and exhausted every possible storyline with them.

They didn’t hire enough beefcake. For awhile, Dennis was the only hottie on the show. And then they paired him up with his sister Sharon, who was making her zillionth return to the show and that killed his sex appeal.

Cast members were coming, going and returning every few episodes. That youngest Slater girl went away to Majorca, came back for about three episodes then left again.

They were hiring actors who had zero talent, like that young girl who was Michelle and Dennis’ daughter and supposed to be American and attempted a painfully bad American accent for about two episodes then just went British. Also that black guy who had zero personality, and complained he wasn’t getting enough A storylines, so they increased his presence on the show and it only highlighted how bad of an actor he was.

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2022 1:25 PM

[quote] Eastenders used to be such a staple on PBS, but I do not think I have seen it in years.

EastEnders on PBS was not a national thing. It was up to individual PBS stations as to whether or not they wanted to spend their local fundraising money on buying the show. That's why it's taken so long for it to disappear completely in the USA via that broadcast venue. I believe at the height there was something like 40 PBS stations (out of 300+) that carried it. This dwindled over time, and was down to something like three stations by the time the plug was pulled.

by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2022 8:14 PM

Dot's funeral will be broadcast on December 12.

It will be longer than a normal episode: 37 minutes.

Why not just make it an hour?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2022 6:56 AM

Funeral tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2022 8:18 PM

...!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 13, 2022 9:19 PM

Americans don't give a HOOT 🦉 about that show.

by Anonymousreply 44December 13, 2022 9:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!