Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sambo’s Restaurants

An entire restaurant Chain got canceled—in the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2022 1:48 AM

But not for that video or that mascot....you know that, right OP?

by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2022 3:21 AM

I used to love to eat there when I was a kid and I loved that tiger!

by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2022 3:21 AM

Chambo! Chambo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2022 3:29 AM

LOVED Sambo's. Went to them all through my youth. When I visited Santa Barbara in 1999, we went to the last standing Sambo's in the country and I stole everything I could get my hands on.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2022 3:32 AM

We didn't think of it as rascist. The food and service was good. They were similar to Denny's, Shari's, and VIPs. Back when you're family could go out and enjoy a meal together without the whole, friggin world, intruding on a cell phone

I guess they couldn't just rename it "Sinbads".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 1, 2022 3:32 AM

I used to get Bob's Big Boy and Sambo's mixed up.

As restaurants, they were rather interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 6April 1, 2022 3:34 AM

Yes they were.

by Anonymousreply 7April 1, 2022 3:39 AM

Restaurants, in general, should bring back the vinyl booth seating. So much more comfortable than the ugly, plain, wooden ones, currently in favor. Young people have no idea what good things they've missed out on.

by Anonymousreply 8April 1, 2022 3:43 AM

I worked at a Sambo's in Mobile, Alabama as a DECA student, 1977 -1978. There were two Sambo's on the Government Blvd. Still have a pair of coin earrings a customer gave me as a gift.

by Anonymousreply 9April 1, 2022 3:43 AM

Our family loved the food and the service at Sambo's.

by Anonymousreply 10April 1, 2022 3:48 AM

My boss at the Mobile, Alabama Sambo's had a teen son who worked the kitchen. One time he was opening frozen meat boxes and sneezing and spitting all over. I told him he shouldn't be doing that while sick. He said he didn't give a shit because his dad was making him work there without paying him.

by Anonymousreply 11April 1, 2022 3:53 AM

Back in 1982 I went to a Sambo's in Los Angeles - Sambo's was not cancelled in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 12April 1, 2022 3:58 AM

Sambo's was great. Bob's Big Boy always sucked.

by Anonymousreply 13April 1, 2022 4:01 AM

[quote] Bob's Big Boy always sucked.

Big boys always suck and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 14April 1, 2022 4:03 AM

I worked at a Sambos in San Antonio washing dishes in high school.

by Anonymousreply 15April 1, 2022 4:30 AM

My Grandma used to take me there all the time. I loved it. It makes me think of her. Then she would to me to Pic And Save.

by Anonymousreply 16April 1, 2022 4:33 AM

Did Sambo's Restaurant ever have a BLACK boy as their logo?

I looked it up and all I see is the Indian boy with the tiger.

by Anonymousreply 17April 1, 2022 4:47 AM

R17, see R5.

[quote] Instead of choosing another restaurant name, the founders decided to lean into it — even making their first mascot a little black boy — and used the tagline, “The finest pancakes west of the Congo.”

by Anonymousreply 18April 1, 2022 4:49 AM

There was a chain of restaurants called Aunt Jemima's Kitchen up until about 1970. A lot of the restaurants were located in the Northeast. There was even one in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 19April 1, 2022 4:57 AM

My grandparents had a black dog named Sambo in the 60’s, I kid you not. This was, unsurprisingly, in Texas. I didn’t make the connection until decades later when I received a box of photos after everyone had died. I didn’t think anyone in my family was particularly racist, but I guess you never know.

I also remember getting a coloring book from a Sambo’s restaurant in the early 70’s.

by Anonymousreply 20April 1, 2022 5:47 AM

[quote] I also remember getting a coloring book from a Sambo’s restaurant in the early 70’s.

Was the only crayon black?

by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2022 5:55 AM

R18, here's the logo that it's referring to. The boy eating pancakes doesn't look black to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2022 8:22 AM

There was a Sambo's in San Jose near where my grandparents lived, it was conveniently near our favorite movie theaters. I always remember asking if we could go eat at Little Black Sambo's; I swear that's what it was called in the beginning & they only shortened it to Sambo's after some fuss.

I still remember the artwork on the walls, depicting the story of Sambo & the tiger, & the outcome of him turning into butter.

I thought the food was really good, but I was only a kid; as an adult my father said he always hated the food & it was a junky, trashy place. That's not what I remember. Ah, nostalgia...

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2022 12:10 AM

[quote] I swear that's what it was called in the beginning

Mandela effect.

by Anonymousreply 24April 2, 2022 12:15 AM

They had great pancakes and syrup. As a child, I found it to be quite exotic. Loved the little boy and tiger. Like an early racist version of Calvin and Hobbes.

by Anonymousreply 25April 2, 2022 12:26 AM

All they had to do was change the "o" to an "a" and make it a Brazilian restaurant

by Anonymousreply 26April 2, 2022 12:36 AM

There was a Sambo's in the Hudson Valley (New York), before they closed they tried a name change to Sam's.

by Anonymousreply 27April 2, 2022 1:09 AM

When I was very young we once drove to Illinois to visit my mother's family, and we stopped at Sambo's for a meal. I asked my dad why they called it tiger butter, and he was aghast that I'd never heard the story of Little Black Sambo. Apparently it was as prominent as Goldilocks and Snow White in years past.

I remember the food being delicious. It's a shame they were saddled with that unfortunate name.

by Anonymousreply 28April 2, 2022 1:39 AM

There was one in Seattle and I remember eating their as a kid and race never entered into it. It was a boy and his tiger and if I recall the tiger ran in a circle so fast he turned into pancakes? I am remembering this correctly?

by Anonymousreply 29April 2, 2022 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!