Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Donna Wilkes?

I think she is mainly remembered for her role in "Jaws 2", but she was also the lead in the camp classic "Angel". I think she was a pretty good actress. I recently watched "Schizoid", in which she played the psychopath daughter to Klaus Kinski, and her performance in that film was much better than the material warranted. Her career pretty much ended circa 1990. Anyone know what happened? In recent interviews, she sounds like she's spent the last 30 years chain-smoking unfiltered Marlboros.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2022 4:24 AM

I was an extra in Angel.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2022 6:33 PM

Had no idea she was married to Billy Gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2022 6:36 PM

I wanted the shark to eat her in Jaws2. What an annoying bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2022 6:39 PM

R1 love that movie, was it fun?

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2022 6:40 PM

Here's an interview with her from 9 years ago. She looks okay, but she's definitely had some work done. And she's got that middle aged woman smoker's voice now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2022 6:50 PM

Angel was a very enjoyable exploitation movie. Wilkes wasn't the most consistent actress in it, but was very effective overall. She had young but hard look that worked for the role. The support cast was great too and added some heart and quirky charm to the movie.

They tried to get Wikes back for the first two sequels but she wanted too much money for the second one and by the time they did the third one, she was having some issues (you can guess what kind) that kept her for getting insured to do the third one. Neither of those movies were nearly as enjoyable and both replacements were miscast.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2022 6:57 PM

Extra work usually isn't that much fun, r4. I only did the one day as a student in a class room scene. If I recall, in the movie, the camera pans in the school room scene and then cuts right before it got to the desk where I was sitting. Oh well. One thing I remember is noticing the girls who had obviously just shot the shower scene because their hair was wet. They were all very slender with perky tits that looked disproportionate to their builds. They of course were paid more to do the nude scenes.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2022 7:02 PM

Ironically she was a cast member on Days of our Lives from 82-83 ironically playing a prostitute named Pamela Prentiss, she left DAYS to play a prostitute in Angel

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2022 7:12 PM

I didn’t know she was married to DL fave Billy Gray, either — alright, Donna!

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2022 7:15 PM

She still acts occasionally and does conventions. According to her linkedin, her main source of employment for the last 20 years has been as a Computer and Printer Supply Sales Exec.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2022 7:16 PM

I have always been inspired by Angel. I'm a senator by day, and a call girl by night

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2022 7:17 PM

Why did she get fat? I get it, she aged, but why the weight gain? She just looks frumpy

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2022 7:19 PM

I wish Jaws 2 had eaten her!

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2022 7:19 PM

In Schizoid, she reminded me a bit of Teresa Russell. They even have similar voices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2022 7:37 PM

R14 - Another "WEHT" to actress?! She was on track to be the next big thing, but fucking could not act

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2022 7:39 PM

R15 Theresa is a bizarre case because she has turned in some good performances, but she is very inconsistent. She was great in things like "Straight Time" and "Bad Timing". She did some other odd movies with Nic Roeg (her husband) like "Track 29", which she was also okay in. But when she misses, she misses hard. Some of her line deliveries are hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2022 7:45 PM

I recently saw Angel for the first time. It was a fun little time capsule. An older guy in Angel looked familiar. I think I looked him up. It was Rory Calhoun, who I only new from DL and Mr. Smithers referencing him on The Simpsons. I think it is still free on Amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2022 7:47 PM

I'd all but forgotten about Angel!

STUDENT BY DAY! CALL GIRL BY NIGHT!

That was on one of the early cable networks in heavy rotation for forever.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2022 10:40 PM

Was she related to John Wilkes Boothe??

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2022 4:16 PM

McLain Stevenson made her uncomfortable on the set of "Hello Larry."

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2022 6:17 PM

Wasn't she let go from Hello, Larry and replaced by Krista Errickson who is probably best remembered as the mean girl, Cinder in Little Darlings.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2022 7:41 PM

She was up for the role of Laurie Strode in Halloween, but that obviously didn't work out.

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2022 8:28 PM

Betsy Russell was a bit more talented, and stole her career. And then she married Vince van Patten.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2022 4:35 AM

I wonder what happened regarding her one-season stint on “Hello, Larry” (a sentence I never thought I’d write, by the way!)

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2022 11:51 AM

Wow, she was 18 when she married 39 year old Billy Gray. It lasted less than a year.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2022 12:14 PM

She’s half Irish half Dominican, cute mix

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2022 12:26 PM

Just watched Angel today. It's a pretty damn good exploitation flick—a weird mix of crime, action, drama, '80s high school flicks, and even shades of a slasher movie. Susan Tyrrell is bizarre as usual, and the final sequence with Angel (armed with a pistol) avenging her aging drag queen friend through the streets of Hollywood is just too much fun. Wilkes is pretty good in the role IMO. Also, Cliff Gorman was extremely hot.

by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2022 7:11 PM

[quote]Was she related to John Wilkes Boothe??

Not hardly...but she was a blood relation to Ashley Wilkes!

She used to spend summers at Twelve Oaks when she was very young but stopped going when he became engaged to their mutual cousin, Melanie. It grossed her out so she upped and went to Hollywood to find fame and fortune.

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2022 9:19 PM

But is she related to Annie Wilkes?

by Anonymousreply 29April 3, 2022 10:06 PM

She's a distant relation to Shirley Wilkes Boothe.

by Anonymousreply 30April 3, 2022 10:11 PM

[quote] she reminded me a bit of Teresa Russell

It’s fun to think that Russell’s “Whore” character is Angel all grown up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 3, 2022 10:25 PM

Whore has one of my favorite terrible Theresa Russell line readings. She tries a bit of squid and disgustedly throws it down while screeching 'Ugh! IT TASTES LIKE A DICK!!!'

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2022 12:10 AM

I called her just so I can listen to her voice on her answering service.

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2022 3:35 PM

one of the great 80s film campaigns...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2022 4:02 PM

I remember when she was knee high to a grasshopper out in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2022 4:07 PM

ANGEL cast was a veritable DL Hall of Fame! Who knew???

Donna Wilkes as Molly 'Angel' Stewart.

Cliff Gorman as Lieutenant Andrews.

Susan Tyrrell as Solly Mosler.

Dick Shawn as Mae / Marvin Walker.

Rory Calhoun as Kit Carson.

Angel has a "street family" made up of aging movie cowboy Kit Carson, street performer Yoyo Charlie, transvestite Mae, fellow hookers Crystal and Lana, and her landlady, eccentric painter Solly Mosler.

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2022 4:18 PM

If there is ever an Exorcist remake Donna Wilkes would be perfect to provide the voice of possessed Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2022 4:49 PM

ANGEL streaming free on tubi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2022 11:20 PM

She starred in the horror movie Grotesque with Linda Blair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 12, 2022 12:35 AM

Donna Wilkes is about to appear in new New Zealand horror BUZZ CUT, alongside other B-movie icon Linnea Quigley. Buzz Cut is described as a cross between Shortland Street and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Fun fact: Linnea Quigley's scenes were filmed in a couple of days before NZ Covid lockdown was called. She managed to avoid being trapped in NZ by boarding one of the last flights out to attend a horror convention in California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2022 4:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!