Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

House cleaning practices that work for you.

Share any tips you have for keeping a clean house.

by Anonymousreply 286May 4, 2022 3:23 PM

Move.

by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2022 6:18 PM

Maid

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2022 6:21 PM

Don't get horizontal blinds.

by Anonymousreply 3March 19, 2022 6:24 PM

Don’t get vertical blinds either.

by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2022 6:28 PM

Don't get drapes OR blinds. They'll just have to be cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2022 6:31 PM

Declutter. Have mostly clear surfaces. (Clear as in free of clutter, not transparent.)

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2022 6:31 PM

A housekeeper twice-a-month.

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2022 6:34 PM

Throw shit away.

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2022 6:39 PM

Hydrogen peroxide. It will take out almost any stain. Just poor/squirt it on, but do not rub or scrub. Just let it sit on that stain, and think about things. Sometimes you have to apply a bit more, but otherwise just leave it alone.

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2022 6:42 PM

e-cloth

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2022 6:43 PM

I purchase lots of white bar mop towels from Target (they are only about $1 each) and use them for all types of cleaning around the house. I probably use around thirty each week. This cuts down on paper towel use. Whenever I am cooking, I have a damp bar mop towel by my side. At the end of each day, I put all the bar mop towels and dishtowels I've used that day in a bucket of water with OxiClean and once a week I wash all of these cloths in hot water with Tide, a cup of baking soda, and a small amount of bleach.

Dirty dishtowels spread bacteria more than anything so it is a good practice to use them for only a day and to start with fresh ones each morning.

For dishtowels I use flour sack towels that I also purchase at Target. They are inexpensive, large, extremely absorbent, lint-free, and super soft compared to ordinary kitchen towels. Flour sack towels are great for drying dishes, cleaning windows, dusting, and much more‚— but I try to use them only for drying pots and pans. They stay nice and bright white if you put them in a bucket of water and OxiClean every night and use a little bleach and hot water when you wash them.

I also add baking soda to the washing machine when I wash my white sheets and bath towels. It keeps everything smelling fresh. If you feel the need to use something to soften the fabric, add a cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle.

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2022 6:46 PM

Hire a maid.

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2022 6:48 PM

You must do something little every day. I rotate through dusting, counters, floors. I do big cleans once a week - super clean counters, bathrooms, etc. I don't have a lot of clutter in my house, so it's not that challenging. The thing that is an ongoing battle is the dusting and the g.d. hardwood floors.

by Anonymousreply 13March 19, 2022 6:49 PM

Develop OCD

by Anonymousreply 14March 19, 2022 6:50 PM

Don't

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2022 6:51 PM

Thanks, R9. I think I'll try hydrogen peroxide.

by Anonymousreply 16March 19, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote] Have mostly clear surfaces.

I couldn't agree more—especially in the kitchen. I keep my counters entirely free of things. The toaster is on shelving beneath the counters, as is my Instant Pot, and KitchenAid stand mixer. I keep my coffee maker in the pantry. I literally have nothing on my kitchen counters except often a pewter vase of tulips when I can get them.

Oh, but by the cooktop, I have a large silver gallery tray on which I keep glass pouring bottles of vegetable oil, EVOO, a covered pewter dish holding softened butter, a jar of red pepper flakes, a covered bowl of kosher salt, white and black pepper mills, a jar of bay leaves, and a mortar & pestle. Having these items at hand by the cooktop is very handy.

by Anonymousreply 17March 19, 2022 6:54 PM

Live in hotel.

by Anonymousreply 18March 19, 2022 6:55 PM

Virtual reality glasses showing a clean house.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2022 7:00 PM

One more thing...I clean my toilets every day and also keep some bar mop towels in the bathrooms with a spray bottle of cleaner so that I can clean the sink quickly after every use.

I keep four spray bottles for all my cleaning: one containing water with a very small amount of bleach (great for bathroom sinks, toilets, and kitchen sink if I am working with chicken); another with Pine-Sol and water that I use for counters and general bathroom cleaning; another one with white vinegar and water for cleaning mirrors and windows; and lastly, one with equal parts Dawn blue dishwashing liquid and white vinegar for cleaning showers, tubs, and bathroom tile.

by Anonymousreply 20March 19, 2022 7:02 PM

Plastic slipcovers on everything, OP (though not on children, I learned that the hard way with Tina).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2022 7:12 PM

This thread has brought out yummy, OCD goodness. Yes hydrogen peroxide is nice but can also leave a yellow spot if you ain't careful.

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2022 7:32 PM

Get a cheap, lightweight, upright vacuum cleaner. You're more likely to use it than something heavy.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2022 7:35 PM

You must keep the bathrooms and kitchen spotless.

R17 " I literally have nothing on my kitchen counters" Let's don't use "literally" like a foolish high-school girl.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2022 7:37 PM

Hire a nude house boy

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2022 7:39 PM

Have a smaller house.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2022 7:41 PM

I clean when I get home from work on Friday so that I can enjoy a clean apartment over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2022 7:42 PM

I use only full strength vinegar and soap and water for most cleaning. I do use full strength bleach on certain things incl. spray into coffee cups and tupperware before loading in dw.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2022 7:53 PM

Question for you guys.

I have one of those molded fiberglass shower stalls, off-white in color. The walls are OK.

But the floor of the stall is purposely grainy-textured, to prevent slips, I guess.

How do you get stains out of that surface?

Clorox used to work, but then it stopped working. I've tried brushes - doesn't really work, either.

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2022 7:57 PM

I'm worn out just from reading some of you bitches' cleaning routines.

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2022 8:00 PM

I’m mainly about organizing. I try to get back to baseline every night with just a few minutes of putting things back in their place.

If I let things go more than that, things would get chaotic

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2022 8:03 PM

Ditch all the name brand chemicals, especially if you have pets or allergies. Vinegar and water does wonders, as does Baking Soda. Tips online, check it out, try it out. You don't need all those chemicals that cost an arm and a leg. :-)

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2022 8:05 PM

R29 you may need to use Lime Away or CLR on those deposits. Try Scrubbing Bubbles for maintenance after that. Just spray and leave on once a week.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2022 8:06 PM

Break into the home of a rich, hygienic person who's on vacation. Throw a dinner party and then go home after the guests have left. Your guests will be thrilled and a bit jealous at how you manage to have it all on the salary of check-out clerk at Walmart. And YOU won't have to do any clean-up!

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2022 8:10 PM

Thanks R33, I'll try CLR.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2022 8:15 PM

Greg is impressive.

A clean house a clean soul, my grandmother used to say. I am often amazed that many friends and colleagues live like pigs, and I judge them for it. Lazy bitches.

The key to a clean house is never to allow clutter and never let cleaning slip. Floors must be mopped every other day. But also to find an excellent cleaner for four hours a week, and have her concentrate on different parts of the house each visit). Weekly help is worth the money. If your kitchen is impeccable, everything else falls into place.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2022 8:15 PM

The clutter is the main thing. Let it go. Create as much negative/empty space as you can.

That includes furniture. Get every room down to the smallest amount of furniture you think you can stand...then take away at least one thing. My bedroom has four pieces of furniture in it: the bed, a bureau, a chair, and a nightstand with just a lamp and clock on top. There is one framed piece of art on the wall.

You only read most books once.

Our country needs to make fabric recycling and furniture recycling easier, and find a cheap way to recycle hardcover books. I wish communities would organize once-a-year book recycling drives for paperbacks.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2022 8:17 PM

[quote]by the cooktop, I have a large silver gallery tray

How often are you polishing grease spatter off that tray?

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2022 8:19 PM

Hydrogen Peroxide will bleach out colors if applied full strength.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2022 8:20 PM

Nothing..Im extremely ADD and no matter what I begin to do, I get sidetracked and move on to something else, then get sidetracked on that and, well, it can go on forever until I have a ton of half finished chores...I'm a mess

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2022 8:29 PM

These things. They're cheap, but work so well. They shine every surface. Just add a little warm water. You don't need any chemical glass/steel cleaner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2022 8:32 PM

R9 HP works on everything. I have an antique bowl with some old staining. I filled it with peroxide, covered it and let it sit for a week..like magic it took the stains out of my 100 yr old Wedgwood lobster bowl

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2022 8:32 PM

During covid I lost the plot with housecleaning about a year ago. It was really affecting my mental health working and living in the same space and never getting the housework done to any acceptable level. I hired a cleaner to come twice a month and my fatigue and depression lifted. She is still coming. And I appreciate all she does. I have been able to get to other projects like purging and organizing. I could never have done that without her help!

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote] " I literally have nothing on my kitchen counters"

Then proceeds to name three or four things on the counter.

SMH.

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2022 9:21 PM

I do a little in different rooms each day, but the kitchen and bathroom are always clean. It will soon be time for a massive spring clean. I hate it at the time, but it’s a good feeling knowing that everything is spotless.

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2022 9:25 PM

For dusting blinds tops of doors and frames I love the Swifer Duster I don't know who invented this but it is fantastic! The angling and lengthening wand make dusting anything hard to reach a breeze. I also am fascinated by how filthy hard to reach spots can be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2022 9:29 PM

The best cleaning practice that works for me is to try and avoid making things messy, I'm an eldergay and cleaning tires me out. The only regular cleaning I do is the bathroom and toilet (yuk) and laundry as needed. I would rather do without a stove than a dishwasher. I could afford a maid but I hate having anyone around and I work from home.

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2022 9:38 PM

Housekeeper is the easiest option.

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2022 9:39 PM

Get a vacuum with a hepa filter (Miele is one), then use the soft brush attachment to vacuum all your flat surfaces - don't push around the dust with a rag, dust mop or those Swifter things. The filter prevents any dust particles from escaping.

Be careful cleaning marble or other natural stone tiles with most household cleansers (which are usually acidic). Make a paste with baking soda and Dawn, which is a neutral pH, to remove soap scum from marble tiles and glass shower doors.

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2022 9:42 PM

Get a Roomba. Declutter your floor and run it every day, my floor are always clean. They have models that mop as well.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2022 9:44 PM

I recently moved from an old 60s house (with a few renovated rooms) to a 5 year old new-ish build. The one thing I noticed straight away is how easy it is to keep clean compared to my old place. It just doesn't seem to get a dirty as quickly.

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2022 9:45 PM

Serious question for those who hire house cleaners:

What do you do while they’re cleaning? What I mean is I had a cleaning service come in 2x a month pre-pandemic. I always insisted the cleaning get done before I got home because it would bother me sitting around while they were cleaning.

I know it’s silly and they’re doing their jobs, but I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2022 9:47 PM

I love your accent, R51.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2022 9:48 PM

Helga; she’ll move the tree, before polishing the floor….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2022 9:59 PM

I cannot retire for the evening if there are any dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, not even a glass or utensil.

Love waking up to a completely clean kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2022 10:23 PM

[quote] "I literally have nothing on my kitchen counters" Then proceeds to name three or four things on the counter.

I did say 'except.'

I literally have nothing on my kitchen counters [bold]except[/bold] often a pewter vase of tulips when I can get them. Oh, but by the cooktop, I have a large silver gallery tray.

Hardly three of four things. My point was that the counters are free of appliances, canisters, jars of utensils, etc. A vase of flowers occasionally and a tray of things I use almost every time I cook.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2022 10:23 PM

Simple Green

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2022 10:24 PM

I'm envious of anyone who has enough kitchen cabinet space that they don't have to appliances things on their counters.

Anyway, can any of you clean queens help me with my glass shower doors? I clean them regularly with vinegar-based glass cleaner, but they have developed a seemingly-permanent cloudiness. I've tried EVERYthing and nothing has worked to make them totally clear again. I've tried the Dawn/vinegar combo, baking soda/vinegar, Magic Erasers, you name it. We have very hard water here; I think that's the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2022 10:44 PM

R52, I work from home and my office is in a separate room. I stay there while the cleaning lady does her thing. She leaves my office until last, when I move to the dining room table and work there until she's done and departs. Other than greeting each other when she arrives (she has a key), we don't speak to each other.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2022 10:47 PM

I have much lower standards than most of the people in this thread, but higher standards than 90% of my friends. I don’t do much during the week but keep things picked up and wipe down my kitchen and keep the dishes, laundry, and trash moving. On the weekend, I clean the bathrooms, kitchen, and floors, wash the sheets, and dust. I’ve mastered this with my ADD by putting on a podcast and letting myself skip around from one task to the other and back. At less regular intervals, I clean the baseboards, scrub my shower, etc.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2022 11:12 PM

R58 that is mineral deposit starting. Use Scrubbing Bubbles or similar, spray on and leave it overnight. Next day rinse off you may need a couple applications. After that use once a week and get a little shower squeegee for everyday use after turning off the shower. It takes 20 sec to do all glass and tile in the cube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2022 11:20 PM

R52, I have to leave when the housekeeper is here for about two hours. Work from home during the pandemic made things tougher (she used to just come when I was at work). I go grocery shopping, get my oil changed, run errands. Once I just drove around for two hours. I don’t have an office to retreat to and she’s LOUD. If I have a meeting, I go to father’s house (fortunately we live nearby). But it’s all manageable.

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2022 11:22 PM

"Consuela, nuestros had un fiesta grande this weekend and I need you to come on Lunes as well. Yes, yes, lots of Lemon Pledge."

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2022 11:25 PM

R52 I am similar to R60. Except my office is on open plan main floor. Cleaner starts upstairs and works her was down. Then we trade floors. I also chit chat with her for a few mins each visit and talk about our pets. She will do extras if I ask like fridge shelves or wipe down doors etc. I try to clear all surfaces before she arrives and take out all garbage/organics/recycling but if I am behind with that I also finish that work on main floor while she cleans upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2022 11:25 PM

Just do what you can, when you have the time and motivation. If you only feel like cleaning your bathroom sink, go ahead and do that. You don't have to clean the shower stall, toilet, and floors. I grew up thinking that you had to do everything or don't even get started. As an adult, I just do what I am able to do at that moment.

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2022 11:28 PM

She also snarks abt a few of her other clients. Lol. That can be funny. One trust fund now middle aged dope had a couple month bender with a hooker and they were grooooosss!! Allegedly. Lol. Even if she snarks about me it could never be that bad. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2022 11:28 PM

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for removing hard water stains in toilets? I’m at my wits’ end.

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2022 11:29 PM

R52 - I have an extra room that I use as an office and so stay in there.

At some point I will walk the dog and signal to her that I am going out, at which point she will come in and clean/mop the floor and when I come back, she is done and the floor is dry.

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2022 11:30 PM

The worst thing about cleaning is the negative thoughts that torment you as you waste hours of your precious life on a thing that is so beneath you, so distract yourself. Listen to music or a podcast or have the TV on something pleasant but not that interesting as you clean.

Figure out the most efficient order in which to do basic tasks (say, dust, then vacuum, then clean the kitchen, then bathrooms) and do them in the same order every time so after a while you just do them without thinking about it.

If you need extra motivation, look at images of dust mites. That’s what you’re sharing your space with when you don’t clean. Among other things.

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2022 11:51 PM

R67, try using a glove and 220 grit ("very fine") waterproof sandpaper. Just cut a small square (maybe 1/4th of the sheet) and try it.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2022 11:52 PM

A battery powered vacuum cleaner is a lot easier to use so you'll use it more. Keep your surfaces as free of junk as possible. Use a feather duster. Try to use multi-purpose cleaners as much as possible.

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2022 11:55 PM

I'd ask my Rosario but she's dead.

by Anonymousreply 72March 20, 2022 12:00 AM

I guess I’m not alone in my feelings about staying around after all.

by Anonymousreply 73March 20, 2022 12:07 AM

[quote]Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for removing hard water stains in toilets? I’m at my wits’ end.

Yes! Her name is Nancy and she’s incredible. Reasonable prices. Doesn’t speak much English though. But she’s lovely.

by Anonymousreply 74March 20, 2022 12:11 AM

Thanks, r70.

by Anonymousreply 75March 20, 2022 12:25 AM

Roombas are great because they pick up tons of hair, dust, crumbs, etc. It also trains you to keep things off the floor. I had an older model so I'd have to supervise it a bit.

by Anonymousreply 76March 20, 2022 12:33 AM

Pine-Sol

by Anonymousreply 77March 20, 2022 12:36 AM

Better call Pine-Sol?

by Anonymousreply 78March 20, 2022 12:53 AM

Top Job

by Anonymousreply 79March 20, 2022 12:59 AM

Ooooh, tell me more.

by Anonymousreply 80March 20, 2022 1:00 AM

Do not wear your shoes indoors.

by Anonymousreply 81March 20, 2022 1:15 AM

As far as floors: Try not to have carpeting. It's kind of gross, anyway.

With hard surfaces (tile/wood/concrete), use two things: (1) a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner; and (2) a Shark steam pocket "mop." The Shark thing comes with reusable pads that get gunked up with everything on your floor. Wash them between uses (I use hot water and bleach for this purpose). Your floors will be so clean!

by Anonymousreply 82March 20, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote] I literally have nothing on my kitchen counters except often a pewter vase of tulips.

God damn that's gay.

by Anonymousreply 83March 20, 2022 1:26 AM

Magic Eraser works wonders. It even cleaned the scum off the bottom of my kayak.

by Anonymousreply 84March 20, 2022 1:29 AM

R40 I follow the flylady (not always) b/c I can get very OCD about cleaning and also lose track of what I am doing other times. She has a schedule for the day and week which helps keep me focused. I do whatever is there the week I decide to clean, eventually I will hit it all- but really I look at it once every 4 to 6 months. I second hiring a cleaning person.

by Anonymousreply 85March 20, 2022 1:31 AM

Lye works well on stubborn stains.

by Anonymousreply 86March 20, 2022 1:34 AM

My housekeeper comes in once a week (Wednesdays) while I'm at work. She cleans, does the laundry, etc. She's fantastic and I think of her as a friend.

by Anonymousreply 87March 20, 2022 1:34 AM

Do you give her a key or a garage code? I would be unnerved with someone else having access to my house.

by Anonymousreply 88March 20, 2022 1:40 AM

She's got it all, R88--a key, the alarm code, even a garage door opener. I trust her more than some of my family members.

by Anonymousreply 89March 20, 2022 1:46 AM

I hate cleaning, so I spread it out. I do vaccuming, both carpeting (in the bedrooms) and hardware for the rest on Monday. On Tuesday, I clean all the hardwood and tile in the rest of the house. Wednesday is dusting, polishing, etc. Thursday is bathrooms (3) until sparkling. Friday is for the kitchen.

By stretching it out through the week, it doesn't seem like quite the chore as when you cram everything into one day.

by Anonymousreply 90March 20, 2022 1:48 AM

Some people say you can tell someone's cleaning habits by their holes, so I guess R90's is like The Holland Tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 91March 20, 2022 1:57 AM

Bathroom tile grout will be the death of me.

by Anonymousreply 92March 20, 2022 2:14 AM

I work alongside my weekly housekeeper. It doubles the effect and I often do things that she doesn't or won't, like windows or organizing drawers.

Alongside the excellent advice of decluttering (radically) I'll add a lesson learnt from a friend (Swedish, with excellent taste). She bought the very best things for her house (giving everything a great deal of thought) and then the house or room was "done". Decorators like to have us think that rooms should be in a constant state of change to reflect inner creativity or something but this doesn't have to be the case.

by Anonymousreply 93March 21, 2022 8:06 AM

Water softener, Magic Erasers, and OxyClean are my secrets.

by Anonymousreply 94March 21, 2022 8:12 AM

Perfect your aim. You can only throw a cellphone at the help once. - Naomi C.

by Anonymousreply 95March 21, 2022 8:22 AM

Use baking soda on stainless steel pans to take out stains from cooking. It's a miracle how baking soda even takes out stains that are years old and makes them look like new.

by Anonymousreply 96March 21, 2022 8:35 AM

R58, I had shower doors , that left a film like you described., from hard water., The only thing that worked for me was, Limeaway. Don't get it on your skin, because it burns like hell. Also, be careful of using it on your fixtures, unless they are real chrome plated. It'll turn cheaper fixtures gray. It was the only thing that worked, and I used it once a week.

by Anonymousreply 97March 21, 2022 8:48 AM

try "Bar Keeper's Friend" powder........ it is like magic on sinks and everything in the bathroom (esp stainless steel).........wear gloves though, as it is harsh on hands..........for toilets, pour water from a bucket in the bowl, (without flushing)........that will lower the water in the bowl significantly......make a paste with the BKF, and work it into the entire bowl.........I guarantee your hard water stains will simply disappear, with no scratching of the bowl..........remember, wear gloves!!!

by Anonymousreply 98March 21, 2022 9:10 AM

Just tell yourself things are clean.

by Anonymousreply 99March 21, 2022 9:19 AM

Sometimes it helps me to buy some cleaning equipment, which then I'm dying to try out at home.

People underestimate the satisfaction that you can achieve through acts of self efficiency like cleaning your home on your own. It also helps a lot of people, who tend to get depressed easily, knowing they can manage on their own. Not giving up, declaring defeat and retreat in your shell, but being able to manage something like cleaning your (messy) home one step at a time (even when it takes you a week to clean your one-room apartment). All of a sudden, having to do this every day or week feels less tedious and soul crushing, because you found the strength to manage, and you realized how beneficial it is to your mind and body.

by Anonymousreply 100March 21, 2022 9:43 AM

Sorry, ... how beneficial it is for your mind and body.

by Anonymousreply 101March 21, 2022 9:44 AM

[quote] By stretching it out through the week, it doesn't seem like quite the chore as when you cram everything into one day.

Yes, but then I have chores to do EVERY DAY of the week after I come home from work.

Aw, hell no!

by Anonymousreply 102March 21, 2022 5:19 PM

Mamacita rules!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 21, 2022 5:32 PM

This isn't anything earth shattering - vinegar has already been mentioned here several times - but I always keep at least 2-3 large gallon size bottles of cleaning strength vinegar on hand at all times. More specifically though, it works magic on getting odors out of your cooking storage containers. So if you're storing leftovers like chili, it really helps. Plus it's relatively cheap.

A deep soak for an hour or so (or until the water cools off) in the hottest water you can get from your faucet, plus some cooking strength vinegar and some dish soap will release practically everything from baking dishes, casserole dishes, etc...

by Anonymousreply 104March 21, 2022 5:57 PM

Greg wins this thread.

I pay for a cleaning service about every three months and make-do in-between times. I'd have it biweekly if I could afford it.

Yes to Scrubbing Bubbles and lime-away. Also Clorox wet wipes in the kitchen for counters and general cleanup.

by Anonymousreply 105March 21, 2022 6:00 PM

Cooking strength vinegar….. hmmm

by Anonymousreply 106March 21, 2022 6:29 PM

I've read and heard for years about vinegar for cleaning as opposed to harsher products. I worry cleaning everything with it would make my entire place have the faint stink of vinegar wafting about. Maybe mixing the vinegar and water blend with an essential oil (like orange or lemon) would help with that, I don't know. People who rinse their hair in vinegar are convinced it doesn't leave a smell behind, but I've got news for them, it does, and it's not pleasant. That said, I've made a list of so many of the tips and suggestions here, so thanks to all.

by Anonymousreply 107March 21, 2022 6:31 PM

Adderall. And a swiffer mop.

by Anonymousreply 108March 21, 2022 6:47 PM

My tip is - Hire a MAID

by Anonymousreply 109March 21, 2022 7:32 PM

You have to police things diligently. Dishes- don't let them pile up or sit in the sink! Do them and for G*d's sake- put them away when they're clean so you can use the drainer/dishwasher again!

Police the floors, sweep daily and mop at least twice a month. Police the bathrooms for grime and get a toilet bleach tablet. Use after shower spray. I keep a scrubby in my shower so I can spot scrub any sign of mildew while I'm in there.

Don't let it get to disaster level and you won't mind cleaning so much.

by Anonymousreply 110March 21, 2022 7:50 PM

Long handled dustpan which snaps onto matching broom. I have a set by OXO, from Amazon. It's great for random sweeping ex. pet food, litter box, and other daily dust ups in between vaccuums.

I also use Jude cloths for daily cleaning of glass surfaces (mirrored closet doors, coffee tables). They leave no streaks, are zero waste, and are great for many applications (and they look like they were invented by DLer).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 21, 2022 8:08 PM

R111 try e-cloth. They’re better.

by Anonymousreply 112March 21, 2022 9:02 PM

What’s e-cloth?

by Anonymousreply 113March 21, 2022 9:15 PM

R29 Try CLR

by Anonymousreply 114March 21, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote]Long handled dustpan which snaps onto matching broom.

I love our lobby broom but the lazy SOB I live with sweeps shit into it and then just hangs it back up.

This is marginally better than the Swiffer we've had for years, where he sweeps with it and just leaves the crap on it in a corner, then stands the Swiffer on top of the pile of swept crap.

by Anonymousreply 115March 21, 2022 9:48 PM

Always have bleach, vinegar, rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide on hand and learn how to use them safely. Keep your favorite essential oils around for a better smelling cleanser. And yes, you will have to clean daily - it’s part of being a grownup.

by Anonymousreply 116March 21, 2022 10:23 PM

I forgot: Method’s tub and tile cleanser (green bottle/foamy) will remove bath scum without any scrubbing.

by Anonymousreply 117March 21, 2022 10:25 PM

What does Target call these "bar mop towels?" I'd like to get some, and they don't call them that. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 118March 21, 2022 10:31 PM

How long do you leave it on, r117?

by Anonymousreply 119March 21, 2022 10:34 PM

How do you get the blackish burnt on film of grease/food or whatever it is that accumulates around the burners on the stove? I tried a bunch of things including EZoff oven cleaner but nothing seems to get it all off? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 120March 21, 2022 10:46 PM

My house is a clutter nest. I used to have a NYC apartment with more closet space than I’ve had in my entire life put together. Those closets had tons of shelves. I arranged the shelves so I could see EVEYTHING as soon as I opened the door. I memorized where everything was. Then I lost my apartment and had to move into my summer hose which had no closets. I had to put my washer dryer in my bathroom just to make a coat closet. I have no linen closet, no utility closet. I can’t find things in drawers. So I buy new ones. Then I put the new ones in drawers & can’t find them either. So I buy more. Now I have to keep everything on top of surfaces so I can plainly see them. My drawers are full. My husband keeps takin* the things I leave on countertops into the garage & squirrels them away. Now I can’t get near my garage stuff — gardening gloves, pots, weed whackers, grass trimmers, hummingbird feeders, all different sized stakes, clippers, pruners, trays……

So now I bought new gloves, spades, etc and they’re in my house. On top of things so I can reach them.

I went to ikea to buy closets and I could buy shelves, baskets, shoe holders, etc that go inside the closet frame. Yay! But I can’t get the closet frames. They’re out of them. For months…..and if they ever come in I’ll have to reb5 a truck to luck them up because they won’t deliver them.

by Anonymousreply 121March 21, 2022 10:47 PM

Highest recommendation: buy a cordless vacuum.

Everyday I had to sweep kitchen of the mess made after cooking. Then I bought a cordless vacuum. Absolutely love it. So much lighter and easier to use than a regular vacuum. I can easily clean the stairs, my car, under the bed, the carpets, etc. instead of lugging a heavy vacuum around. It is especially useful if you have arthritis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 21, 2022 11:22 PM

R122 my cordless Dyson animal hair vacuum is ever bit as powerful as a typical upright only it’s a breeze to use.

by Anonymousreply 123March 21, 2022 11:27 PM

[quote] What does Target call these "bar mop towels?" I'd like to get some, and they don't call them that. Thanks.

Ah, but they do!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 22, 2022 12:12 AM

Start at the top and work your way down.

by Anonymousreply 125March 22, 2022 12:16 AM

You can also get them for less than $1 each at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 126March 22, 2022 12:18 AM

Now that I see them, I realize that Walmart is where I purchased my barmop towels. A package of 24 towels for $20.99. I bought 3 packages (72 towels)—and I use them with abandon. I now use far fewer paper towels. Just be sure to put them in a bucket of water with OxyClean at the end of every day. Then wash them in hot water weekly, with detergent, a cup of baking soda, and a small amount of bleach. I fold them in half and then roll them up. You'll be very pleased.

by Anonymousreply 127March 22, 2022 12:26 AM

And keep some in the kitchen, some in each bathroom, and some in your nightstand (!)

by Anonymousreply 128March 22, 2022 12:43 AM

I could have written Greg's post. Except we use washcloths. Again, about a buck apiece, use them for a day and into the laundry they go. But I am curious about the bar mops also.

We also use the large flour sack cloths for drying pots, pans, dishes, etc. I also use them to dry food like chicken, beef, and pork. It's better than using all those paper towels.

If you have cast iron, a good way to dry them is to use newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 129March 22, 2022 1:01 AM

I put my dishes in hot soapy water, instead of rinsing I throw in dishwasher to rinse. Clears them out fast and you practically have to wash them off anyway before putting them in DW.

by Anonymousreply 130March 22, 2022 1:15 AM

Ammonia is the best degreaser

by Anonymousreply 131March 22, 2022 1:16 AM

[quote] I put my dishes in hot soapy water, instead of rinsing I throw in dishwasher to rinse. Clears them out fast and you practically have to wash them off anyway before putting them in DW.

I don't understand this.

by Anonymousreply 132March 22, 2022 2:52 AM

Can somebody recommend an all-purpose cleaner alternative to Mr lean or Fabuloso? They seem to trigger asthma for me. I am looking for a green alternative, but one that cleans reliably. Any product that works?

by Anonymousreply 133March 22, 2022 3:56 AM

Glass tables are a nightmare to keep clean, especially after a Mexican-themed dinner party.

Keep plenty of disinfectant wipes around.

by Anonymousreply 134March 22, 2022 4:16 AM

[quote] How do you get the blackish burnt on film of grease/food or whatever it is that accumulates around the burners on the stove? I tried a bunch of things including EZoff oven cleaner but nothing seems to get it all off? Thanks

Wow, Easy Off oven cleaner is the most powerful dissolver known to mankind. Maybe try Zep, which is an oven AND grill cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 135March 22, 2022 4:26 AM

Eat out so you don’t have to wash dishes

by Anonymousreply 136March 22, 2022 4:35 AM

After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse. There are a number of variations on this quote, all attributed to Quentin Crisp: sometimes it's "some" years, sometimes it's two years, and sometimes it isn't dirt, but dust.

by Anonymousreply 137March 22, 2022 4:40 AM

Get a rubber tined broom, they're great for picking up hairs, fluff and all that stuff that clings to carpets.

A long handled dustpan set works great for a quick sweep on hard surfaces.

Run your socked toe along the top of skirting boards to dust them while you're picking stuff off the floor before turning on the robot vacuum cleaner.

Buy an empty fishing tackle box and keep it in a drawer in the kitchen, use that to store all your leftover rubber bands, screws, thumb tacks, stamps, velcro, nails, charging cables, buttons etc (ie all that small stuff that floats around drawers and you can never find when you need them)

If you're really snowed under with work etc try to do three bits of housework as soon as you get home and before you sit down. It doesn't have to be much just put a few things away, go through a pile of papers or clear out some old take away from the fridge. It stops shit from piling up too much.

Boiling water with a dash of tea tree oil is good for mopping; super hygienic, dries quickly, no suds and the mop itself stays cleaner.

by Anonymousreply 138March 22, 2022 5:22 AM

[quote] Can somebody recommend an all-purpose cleaner alternative to Mr lean or Fabuloso?

I use Method. It's mostly natural, plant-derived and has several pleasant fragrances like Apple, Lavender, Citron, Wildweeds, etc. Don't guy it at Amazon, Target is cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 139March 22, 2022 5:42 AM

Kitchen Sink:

I just compared "Bar Keeper's Friend" vs baking soda and soap (dawn). "Bar Keeper's Friend" won by a mile. But the other works okay if that is all you have. this was a kitchen sink.

Bathtub:

I just compared "Bar Keeper's Friend" to comet. "Bar Keeper's Friend" won by a mile. Do not buy comet, it does no work that well.

by Anonymousreply 140March 22, 2022 5:48 AM

All purpose cleaner I use is Treader joes one.

by Anonymousreply 141March 22, 2022 5:49 AM

Resolve Stain Stick

Rub that on to any stain and it will come out in the next wash

by Anonymousreply 142March 22, 2022 6:55 AM

When you are cooking, running the microwave or coffee maker, anything where you have to wait a few minutes... Put things away in the kitchen and do a few dishes.

Every time you come to the kitchen, in fact, do a couple dishes, wipe a counter down, grab the drink and go. If you get in this habit, your kitchen will never be a disaster area requiring you to invest an entire weekend.

by Anonymousreply 143March 22, 2022 6:59 AM

Every couple weeks just go around the house and look for things to throw away. Grab a trash bag and fill it up. Or the recycling bin. So many papers, mail, receipts, flyers, all of it is keeping you from having peace. Inspect the house for this stuff every couple weeks... Or every few days if you live with a pack rat like I do.

by Anonymousreply 144March 22, 2022 7:02 AM

You wash your dishes like you do, then immediately in DW to rinse all at one time and no dish drainer pile up. Dirty dishes disappear fast. I turn it on when I want.

by Anonymousreply 145March 22, 2022 7:04 AM

Keep a squirt bottle in each room. You always need to squirt things.

In the bathroom, squirt down the toilet bowl and lid. Do this every day and you won't need to scrub your toilet as often.

by Anonymousreply 146March 22, 2022 7:04 AM

Get the mail only twice a week.

You know it's going to be mostly junk, so toss it all right when you get it. Take less time acknowledging the mail entirely. When it's building up in your mailbox all week, you don't see it. Then twice a week, boom, 20 pieces of junk and one important piece to look at. Takes less time.

If you get the mail every day, you might set it on a table and not look at it until someday you have a slowly accumulating pile of junk to sort through.

by Anonymousreply 147March 22, 2022 7:08 AM

[quote] If you get the mail every day, you might set it on a table and not look at it until someday you have a slowly accumulating pile of junk to sort through.

Wow. That’s me to a T!

by Anonymousreply 148March 22, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote] Every time you come to the kitchen, in fact, do a couple dishes,

How many do you think I have sitting in the sink?!

by Anonymousreply 149March 22, 2022 1:14 PM

Get a handvac with a long nozzle. They're invaluable for doing little vacuuming jobs or getting into awkward spaces. Yes, you could use the attachments on your regular vacuum cleaner, but you know you avoid using them because they're such a pain in the ass to hook up, and then you have to drag the vacuum around, so the stuff on the floor gets ignored or accumulates in inaccessible areas. The handvac makes all that a breeze to deal with. Spend a little more and get one that has a shorter charging time, though - some of them can take half a day to charge, and you have to charge them more often too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 22, 2022 1:43 PM

Throw stuff away!! THAT will make your space neater and cleaner than all the products in the world

by Anonymousreply 151March 22, 2022 1:47 PM

[quote] Easy Off oven cleaner is the most powerful dissolver known to mankind.

Be careful of Easy Off because it will peel off the enamel from your stovetop too.

by Anonymousreply 152March 22, 2022 1:49 PM

[quote] Yes, you could use the attachments on your regular vacuum cleaner, but you know you avoid using them because they're such a pain in the ass to hook up, and then you have to drag the vacuum around,

This is like the third or fourth time the regular vacuum cleaner and our reluctance to drag it out has been mentioned. I find it hilarious because we’re all (apparently) the same. And for the same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 153March 22, 2022 2:03 PM

Poor Nathan Lane struggles to keep up with the dancing during that ballroom dancing scene.

by Anonymousreply 154March 22, 2022 3:08 PM

Oh, fuck. I posted r154 in the wrong thread. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 155March 22, 2022 3:11 PM

I finally figured out what's up with this Greg weirdo. Greg is clearly a WOMAN.

by Anonymousreply 156March 22, 2022 3:23 PM

I was pretty impressed by Greg, R156, and I'm a gay man.

By the way, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the wonderful "Obsessive Compulsive Country House Cleaners" show on BBC. You can find many episodes on Youtube. OC cleaners help out aristocratic hoarders, and the hoarders make the cleaners a little less obsessive compulsive. Only a little.

The fabulous antiques dealer in the Jacobean house in Wales was a real treat: "NO BLEACH EVER", said to a lovely plump cleaner who, in moments of panic, felt compelled to wash herself down with it.

by Anonymousreply 157March 22, 2022 3:29 PM

R156 there is NO way Greg is a woman

by Anonymousreply 158March 22, 2022 3:47 PM

I wonder if Greg advises divorced women on how to maintain a clean household??

by Anonymousreply 159March 22, 2022 5:25 PM

[quote] Inspect the house for this stuff every couple weeks... Or every few days if you live with a pack rat like I do.

My mom was a packrat and, as an adult, I couldn't choose to live with a packrat.

by Anonymousreply 160March 22, 2022 6:32 PM

At the second visit I left, casually, somewhere in the kitchen a photo of their parents and children and the number for the police chief in their Chihuahua town.

Never a problem after that, and it's been seven years. So cooperative and learned English muy rápido.

by Anonymousreply 161March 22, 2022 6:49 PM

I have a permanent ring of burnt-on gunk around one burner from using a wok with a ring stand, and nothing that was strong enough to get the gunk off was safe for the enamel.

by Anonymousreply 162March 22, 2022 6:56 PM

R29. Buy comet bath hard water stains, leave it on for bout 30 minutes wipe and if need be , repeat.

by Anonymousreply 163March 22, 2022 7:06 PM

R58 comet bath hard water cleaner, it will amaze you.

by Anonymousreply 164March 22, 2022 7:11 PM

[quote] I have a permanent ring of burnt-on gunk around one burner from using a wok with a ring stand, and nothing that was strong enough to get the gunk off was safe for the enamel.

You might just have to live with it. Restaurants don't have enameled stuff & can use harsher chemicals. In the future, just wipe it down regularly so there's no further buildup. Good for you that you actually cook. So many people don't even use their stoves.

by Anonymousreply 165March 22, 2022 7:17 PM

R120 i use easy off oven cleaner on them. It may take a couple times using it if you have burnt on crud.

by Anonymousreply 166March 22, 2022 7:18 PM

R129 my grandmother taught me to dry cast iron on the stove low temp , it will remove all moisture so never rust.

by Anonymousreply 167March 22, 2022 7:22 PM

For those of you who use washrags, bar rags and towels instead of paper towels, I find that they clean well in the laundry if you put them into the machine with hot water on a small or medium sized load, with the detergent, Borax and Oxy powder. Let them agitate for a minute then stop the machine and let them soak an hour. Then turn the load size up one notch (i.e. if you had it on a medium load, turn it to large load) so more hot water gets added, and wash as normal. Pretty much everything comes off them without fuss.

Doing it this way means I can't throw them into the laundry with the bath towels (they're too thick and if you soak them in soap, you'll never get it all rinsed out) but that's not a huge hassle for me.

by Anonymousreply 168March 22, 2022 8:28 PM

Hiring a cleaning service has changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 169March 22, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote] Good for you that you actually cook. So many people don't even use their stoves.

You’re right. I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

by Anonymousreply 170March 22, 2022 9:09 PM

I clean my floors using paper towel and windex or some sort of surface cleaner. I feel it's less harder work than having to get a bucket and a floor scrubber, filling it with water and detergent, and then having to rinse and then dry the floor. Paper towel and surface cleaner might seem like more strenuous work but it does the job faster.

by Anonymousreply 171March 22, 2022 9:20 PM

If you have limited space/storage issues -- get rid of anything you haven't used, worn, thought about in a year or more.

by Anonymousreply 172March 22, 2022 9:24 PM

If anyone has a tried and true product for cleaning tile grout I would appreciate it. Stanley Steemer rapes people with their rates, but I really hate grungy tile grout.

by Anonymousreply 173March 22, 2022 9:25 PM

[quote] They have models that mop as well.

R50 I prefer these type of models who mop?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 22, 2022 9:49 PM

There are services that have scantily-clad women doing the cleaning for you. I’m sure someone would make a killing offering the same service with men.

Not only would gay guys patronize them, but I’m sure fraus would too.

by Anonymousreply 175March 22, 2022 10:27 PM

I love to clean my toilets

by Anonymousreply 176March 22, 2022 10:41 PM

I’ll send you my address. Double your fun and clean mine.

by Anonymousreply 177March 22, 2022 11:12 PM

This thread has me moist as a snack cake down there!

by Anonymousreply 178March 23, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote] There are services that have scantily-clad women doing the cleaning for you. I’m sure someone would make a killing offering the same service with men.

That was tried a few years ago but now they can make more money doing OnlyFans and never have to leave their house or clean other people's nasty houses.

by Anonymousreply 179March 23, 2022 12:19 AM

My HE Maytag top loader locks the lid so doing what R168 says is difficult. I wish I never bought an HE washer or I wish it had an over ride button to wash more like an older upright.

by Anonymousreply 180March 23, 2022 1:10 AM

"Cascade Professional Fryer Boil Out"......you can get it at amazon.....this is the ORIGINAL Cascade Dishwasher powder from the '60-70s (before the phosphorus was removed by government edict).........it is the SINGLE best cleaner in my house..........I use three tablespoons of the powder in my automatic dishwasher and OMG.........the dishes and glassware look brand new........(ignore the directions on the box, and use it just like the dishwashing powder of old)...........trust me, you will be shocked ...........

by Anonymousreply 181March 23, 2022 6:41 AM

Sodium Tri Poly Phosphate (STPP)..............you can buy it from "The Chemistry Store"............add a tiny bit to all your clothes washer loads, along with your normal detergent...........(white and dark)........it adds back in the Phosphate to the detergent that was removed by the EPA back in the '70s...........you will be absolutely shocked at the improvement in cleaning............*****note: Sodium Tri-Poly Phosphate (STPP) is NOT the same thing as Sodium Tri Phosphate (STP) .......the former will spectacularly clean your clothes, the latter will eat holes in them.....*********

by Anonymousreply 182March 23, 2022 6:50 AM

Hydrogen peroxide did not work on my shower (fiberglass) floor. I just did some research and apparently Easy-Off fume free will clean it. I need to buy some and I'll report back.

by Anonymousreply 183March 23, 2022 6:52 AM

R181, R182, why would you want to use a product that was banned by the EPA. There’s a reason it was removed like causes cancer and not good for the environment. All this for super clean clothes and super clean dishes? Relax your standards for goodness sake.

by Anonymousreply 184March 23, 2022 10:26 AM

I've got to admit that I didn't know that flat screen televisions need such special care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 23, 2022 11:18 AM

[quote]I clean my floors using paper towel and windex or some sort of surface cleaner. I feel it's less harder work than having to get a bucket and a floor scrubber, filling it with water and detergent, and then having to rinse and then dry the floor.

I use the Swiffer refill wipes like this. In spaces with relatively small floor areas, like my bathrooms, it's easier and faster than dragging out an actual Swiffer or mop & bucket, and more effective at getting into corners, etc. The wipes contain disinfectant so it's sanitizing too, not just picking up dirt.

by Anonymousreply 186March 23, 2022 12:23 PM

[quote] Relax your standards for goodness sake.

Have you seen his typing? Clearly, there are no standards.

by Anonymousreply 187March 23, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote] I finally figured out what's up with this Greg weirdo. Greg is clearly a WOMAN.

I may be a weirdo, but I'm no woman. Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 188March 23, 2022 3:04 PM

[quote] I wonder if Greg advises divorced women on how to maintain a clean household??

I could. Why do you ask?

by Anonymousreply 189March 23, 2022 3:06 PM

Hide toothpicks and then berate the cleaning staff for missing them. So fun!

by Anonymousreply 190March 23, 2022 3:10 PM

Greg, I feel divorced women are a subset of our society that could benefit from housecleaning advise. Will you please offer your expertise. Thank you and have a fantastic day.

by Anonymousreply 191March 23, 2022 3:16 PM

[quote] Greg, I feel divorced women are a subset of our society that could benefit from housecleaning advise. Will you please offer your expertise. Thank you and have a fantastic day.

I couldn't agree more. I'll get on it.

by Anonymousreply 192March 23, 2022 3:18 PM

^ You’re so good!!

by Anonymousreply 193March 23, 2022 3:21 PM

"Your Divorce May Have Been Messy, But Your House Needn't Be—Greg's Tips for Keeping a Clean House Après-Divorce"

This will be my working title. Subtitle: "You Can Clean Without Being Taken to the Cleaners"

by Anonymousreply 194March 23, 2022 3:45 PM

[quote] that could benefit from housecleaning advise.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 195March 23, 2022 5:01 PM

If you really want a room to [italic]sparkle[/italic] like the top of the Chrysler building, keep the floors and baseboards as clean as possible. The human gaze is naturally downcast. The floor and the lower portion of the wall are what we see first and most in a room.

by Anonymousreply 196March 23, 2022 5:36 PM

Swiffer is a game changer

by Anonymousreply 197March 23, 2022 8:11 PM

@R185, that series of videos is called "Clean With Confidence" Finally there is help! All my life I was very self-conscious when cleaning. No more.

by Anonymousreply 198March 23, 2022 9:27 PM

For god sakes people, don’t use a broom on hard floors. It’s not 1850 anymore. Get a good canister vacuum with a bare floor attachment.

by Anonymousreply 199March 23, 2022 9:30 PM

Martha Stewart recommends a combination of hot water, Castile soap and tea tree oil is great for cleaning wood cabinets but sadly, no.

by Anonymousreply 200March 23, 2022 10:32 PM

Martha’s routines are for her and not practical for anyone else

by Anonymousreply 201March 23, 2022 10:34 PM

Martha's routine is not performed by Martha. Martha's routine is performed by paid staff.

by Anonymousreply 202March 23, 2022 10:37 PM

R173 bleach has always worked for me. I hate tile grout too.

by Anonymousreply 203March 23, 2022 10:48 PM

^ thanks. I think I’ll just use the concentrate of bleach; less splash.

by Anonymousreply 204March 23, 2022 11:13 PM

R182 recommends that we use phosphate on our clothes and dishwasher to get our clothes and dishes sparkling white....in the meantime Russia just bombed Ukraine with a white phosphorus bomb.

by Anonymousreply 205March 24, 2022 4:28 AM

I just moved to a new apartment and, unfortunately, I have a "glazed" bathtub. Tell me how to clean it so that it looks nice and white!

by Anonymousreply 206March 24, 2022 4:49 AM

The only thing that can remove a toilet bowl ring from hard water deposits is a pumice stone.

by Anonymousreply 207March 24, 2022 4:56 AM

I am trying to get off stains off carpet. It is biodegradable dye and suppose to fade anyway.

What should I use?

Baking soda?

Something else?

by Anonymousreply 208March 24, 2022 5:37 AM

r205,,,,,,,take a chemistry course, phosphorus is NOT phosphate..........totally different chemical.........bombing someone with phosphate would only make them extremely clean..............

by Anonymousreply 209March 24, 2022 7:29 AM

r184.........the EPA did NOT ban phosphates from detergents because they caused cancer............nowhere at EPA.gov does it say that..........stop making things up..............by all means don't use it.........that action will make my dishes stand out from everyone else's hard water stained tripe............

by Anonymousreply 210March 24, 2022 7:32 AM

r205 & r184........I just ran an empty dishwasher load, and washed an empty clotheswasher load (with added phosphate) to celebrate your posts.........environment, eat my shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 211March 24, 2022 8:02 AM

r187 ..........me type pretty some day........

by Anonymousreply 212March 24, 2022 8:03 AM

For tile grout and shower doors …a good portable steam cleaner. Wear gloves. You can spray a mix of vinegar, water and a dash of Dawn dishwashing detergent on first if you like. I don’t bother.

I love the bleach gel toilet ducks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 24, 2022 8:13 AM

Phosphates in cleaners are banned in the US and EU, as well as in many other countries worldwide. Although they are neither toxic nor harmful to humans, they can disturb the balance of aquatic life in water bodies. As a fertilizer, phosphates cause rapid algae growth. The so-called algal bloom has a negative effect on other organisms living in the water.

Wastewater treatment plants cannot completely remove phosphates from domestic wastewater, so inevitably some of it ends up in natural waters. The countries that have banned phosphates want to limit the spread of algal blooms - and thus negative effects on vegetation in rivers and lakes.

by Anonymousreply 214March 24, 2022 11:50 AM

[quote] The only thing that can remove a toilet bowl ring from hard water deposits is a pumice stone.

Wouldn’t this be similar to 200 grit sandpaper that someone above suggested, or are they completely different?

Either way, a pumice stone is a great idea too!

by Anonymousreply 215March 24, 2022 12:12 PM

Whaddabout my glazed bathtub??!

by Anonymousreply 216March 24, 2022 1:10 PM

r214, thank you for some truth.......they do not cause cancer, ........but I will still continue to add them back into my cleaning........

by Anonymousreply 217March 24, 2022 1:23 PM

R215, yes it's like sandpaper. I'm the one who said to try 220 grit waterproof sandpaper. The reason sandpaper is better, IMO, is b/c it's flexible. A pumice stone is usually rectangular. A toilet bowl is round on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 218March 24, 2022 4:37 PM

I just got a little Bissell steam cleaner R213, for the grout (had to order the hose separately). I love it for the kitchen too.

by Anonymousreply 219March 24, 2022 4:45 PM

What about car cleaning tips? Talking about the interior. I like to keep my car clean. Unfortunately, my car has a mostly black interior and everything shows up against the black (dust particles).

by Anonymousreply 220March 24, 2022 4:48 PM

It is ok to lower your standard of cleanliness a bit. It really is, provided it may be too high or not very important. I used to fret all the time about this or that not being perfect. I began to understand that no one really noticed or cared but me. Sometimes it is ok to leave the dishes until tomorrow. As long as nothing gets out of hand there is no reason to beat yourself up about not cleaning the windows or skipping vacuuming once in a while.

It isn't the end of the world if I skip doing (fill in the blank) ___________ this week.

Once I lowered my standards a little, it freed up time to do some of the things I'd been missing.

Time is precious and life is short, enjoy it. This is what works for me.

by Anonymousreply 221March 24, 2022 5:05 PM

What’s easiest for interior glass oven door?

by Anonymousreply 222March 24, 2022 5:11 PM

Give Carmen a $20 tip.

by Anonymousreply 223March 24, 2022 5:20 PM

If you are gone a long time from your home, I recommend putting a cup of bleach in the toilet bowl to prevent nasty stuff from growing in there. It also makes the bowl shinier and it actually got rid of the ring, looks like new now (but that's because I don't use that toilet often). The bleach has to stay there for a while without flushing or if you do use it, then pour bleach in again.

by Anonymousreply 224March 25, 2022 2:27 AM

Doesn’t bleach corrode porcelain?

by Anonymousreply 225March 25, 2022 1:33 PM

Hard water rings in toilets? Buy toilet pumice sticks off amz or Walmart. They’re cheap and they work. Just scrub the pumice across the ring and it’s gone.

For really tough hard water stains/etching on glass shower doors: Flitz metal polish in the silver can and a scrubber attached to a drill remove the cloudy etching and leave the doors clear again. It takes a lot of work but you only need to do it once a year or so. Do small sections, rub Flitz on the glass, scrub with the drill (scrubber) applying some pressure, wipe remaining polish off with a microfiber cloth, repeat if necessary and rinse when you’re all done. Obviously do a small test area first. Make sure you use the right type of Flitz and an actual drill with a scrubber attached.

The laziest housecleaning tip I have is to buy a handheld computer/keyboard air compressor-blower. Blast it across all the stuff you hate dusting, top to bottom, once a week and then vacuum the floor. It takes 1/4 of the time as actual dusting and works just as well.

by Anonymousreply 226March 25, 2022 2:42 PM

I wish there was a really way to get the smell of cat pee out of carpet and its backing. My kitten was traumatized by my vacuum and let me know in no uncertain terms.

by Anonymousreply 227March 25, 2022 2:46 PM

Odor-X-it, full strength

by Anonymousreply 228March 25, 2022 7:53 PM

Nature’s Miracle, r227

by Anonymousreply 229March 25, 2022 7:56 PM

Hydrogen peroxide.

by Anonymousreply 230March 25, 2022 7:58 PM

I admit being a tad oversensitive about uniform closet hangers. Not MINE, though.

by Anonymousreply 231March 25, 2022 11:29 PM

Are they wire?

by Anonymousreply 232March 25, 2022 11:30 PM

Oh dear. I am obsessed with having uniform hangers. Non-wire, naturally.

by Anonymousreply 233March 26, 2022 1:40 AM

[quote] I wish there was a really way to get the smell of cat pee out of carpet and its backing

Rubbing alcohol. Mix warm water and rubbing alcohol. Then put a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid, mix (do not shake) in a spray bottle. Get white washcloth. Spray stain & pound it in with the back of a large spoon. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then rub with washcloth to get stain up. You might have to do it a few times and after second time, just put some straight rubbing alcohol on it.

Now here’s the brilliant part. Get a wet/dry vac. It doesn’t have to be gigantic, but I found the 1.5 gallon wet dry vac was too weak. A 3 gallon, maybe. Use the wet dry vac on the stain to pull out as much liquid as you can. It picks up leftover stain, too. It’s perfect.

If yiu can’t have a wet dry vac, use sponges with soft & scratchy sides and alternate. Use paper towels to blot as much liquid as possible. Don’t drop a match.

The shower doors - I use a steamer for that. I have very hard water. The first few times I also used vinegar, water & dishwashing liquid. Then I found it didn’t matter. Just the steamer and towel worked fine. Steamer takes away red to scrub.

by Anonymousreply 234March 26, 2022 5:30 PM

If you have room, a doodle bug steam machine is great for ovens and cooking surfaces. You need good weed, plenty of cotton rags, and a nice bowl of vinegar water for the rinse.

by Anonymousreply 235March 26, 2022 6:30 PM

Jesus, r234, I’d rather buy a new rug.

by Anonymousreply 236March 26, 2022 6:55 PM

"Uniform hangers" as in hangers to hang uniforms? Or uniform as in all the same kind (of hanger) and color?

I'm currently hating the flat, "velvet"-covered hangers. That seems to be the hanger of choice for the past ten years or so.

by Anonymousreply 237March 26, 2022 6:57 PM

Buy stuff from the e-cloth company on Amazon

by Anonymousreply 238March 26, 2022 7:41 PM

Uniform hangers as in for the everyday hangers, must match in color at the very least. All of my wooden hangers for jackets, pants, etc, must also match. Things that look out of place bother me a lot. I also like symmetry in bookcases or if I hang something on a wall.

by Anonymousreply 239March 26, 2022 9:04 PM

Get mad at the dirt!

by Anonymousreply 240March 26, 2022 9:16 PM

R70/r218 thanks for the suggestion of sandpaper for the hard water stains. I had one in my John and it worked like a charm!

Stain gone.

by Anonymousreply 241March 29, 2022 2:37 PM

I clean with a mix of white vinegar, water and dish soap. It works well to get rid of fruit flies too.

I clean and organize my space every night before bed.

by Anonymousreply 242March 29, 2022 2:42 PM

R242 is bring completely honest

by Anonymousreply 243March 29, 2022 3:38 PM

Really felt R60s comment. Reckon I must have ADD/ADHD or something, because I am cleaning-avoidant (not averse—I do clean weekly but I hate and dread it), and can tolerate it better when music is on or a distraction is around.

by Anonymousreply 244March 29, 2022 3:40 PM

Cleaning is such a drag!

by Anonymousreply 245March 29, 2022 3:46 PM

When removing hard water rings from the toilet bowl, turn the water supply to the tank off, then flush. Use your cleaner or pumice stone without water in the bowl. When done, turn the water back on and flush.

If the entire bowl has yellowed, with the water turned off and the bowl empty, fill it with a bleach & water solution (1 cup bleach to one gallon water) to a point higher than the normal water line. Let it sit 24 hours or more. (Open a window and close the door to prevent bleach fumes from spreading throughout the house.)

If the mirrors in your home get dusty, it's time to change to air filter in your furnace or a/c unit.

I run a clean dust mop along the edge where the ceiling and wall meet to remove any phantom dust webs which seem to appear out of nowhere.

Not a cleaning tip per se, but whenever I bring home a new pair of shoes or item of clothing, I remove a similar item and put it in the pile for Goodwill.

by Anonymousreply 246March 29, 2022 4:33 PM

[quote] I clean with a mix of white vinegar,

Oh, sure. Has to be white vinegar, huh?

I’ve got my eye on you, mister.

by Anonymousreply 247March 29, 2022 4:45 PM

I can’t wait until they announce white vinegar causes cancer and all is it’s proponents scurry off to find something else to finger wag to everybody.

by Anonymousreply 248March 29, 2022 5:37 PM

Don't worry, R248. You'll probably have choked on your own bile before that happens.

by Anonymousreply 249March 29, 2022 7:20 PM

Well aren’t you the lucky one?!

by Anonymousreply 250March 29, 2022 7:30 PM

We are all lucky for getting some useful tips in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 251March 29, 2022 7:37 PM

I just cleaned my toilets

by Anonymousreply 252March 29, 2022 8:15 PM

Yeah, whenever I buy something new, I try to get rid of something that I haven’t been using.

by Anonymousreply 253March 29, 2022 11:09 PM

I enjoy cleaning my asshole with soap and a loofah. Then I apply copious amounts of vitamin e oil and rub it in real good. Makes it soft n supple.

by Anonymousreply 254March 29, 2022 11:21 PM

The fume free Easy Off did not work on my fiberglass shower floor.

by Anonymousreply 255March 30, 2022 10:42 PM

I spray whit vinegar and water on my asshole after I shit to clean it up.

by Anonymousreply 256March 30, 2022 11:13 PM

Talk about tossing salad.

by Anonymousreply 257March 31, 2022 12:03 AM

Vinegar does absolutely nothing for cleaning. Complete myth that it cleans anything.

It is a good disinfectant, though. I soak my respiratory equipment in it after washing (with soap & water).

by Anonymousreply 258April 1, 2022 9:42 PM

Nothing get dirt and grime out like Vivian Vance

by Anonymousreply 259April 1, 2022 9:48 PM

It is KEY to try to clean up your house at least once a year. If it doesn't always work out on schedule, there is always next year.

by Anonymousreply 260April 3, 2022 2:02 PM

Men whose houses are always spotlessly clean almost always have a lot in common with men whose tennis shoes are always spotlessly white, and whose underwear is similarly, blindingly new looking. I generally find them empty-headed bores, housewives at heart. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 261April 3, 2022 2:12 PM

HOW IN THE WORLD DID I MISS THIS THREAD???? Oh... it was because I was so disappointed in DL and all of its mundaneness that I have boycotted it for months on end.

Anyway, these are the best threads going (IMHO). THANKS GREG! I adored the "How many times do you change your sheets" and "How many times do you clean your bathroom" threads. Besides the many postings containing fantastic tips there were the other postings which were hysterically funny! And, this one hasn't failed either. It's just too hard to choose which posting is the funniest. However the one that sticks in my mind; "I only have a kitchen because it came with the house" had me on the floor laughing! It is just so true in my case being that I can't even boil water correctly. LOL! Thanks again, to all especially "Greg"

by Anonymousreply 262April 6, 2022 4:22 PM

Whenever I try to clean my home somebody comes along and fucks me up the ass. Because of this, my housekeeping plans for the day are derailed.

by Anonymousreply 263April 6, 2022 4:26 PM

Just cleaned my toilets yesterday. I've been ill and neglected a lot of housekeeping chores.

I used Clorox Toilet wands (replace the cleaning pad each time). For the hard water stuff, I used Bar Keeper's Friend powder for the first pass. For remaining hard water marks, I did a second pass with the same.

Worked very well.

by Anonymousreply 264April 6, 2022 5:49 PM

Can you just wave the wand around and the stains magically disappear?

by Anonymousreply 265April 6, 2022 7:58 PM

^Of course you can, Dear...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 6, 2022 8:27 PM

E-cloths

Dawn Platinum spray

Lysol toilet bowl cleaner

by Anonymousreply 267April 6, 2022 9:43 PM

I have two German Shepherds and a lot of rugs. I have both a Miele canister and a Dyson upright which I alternate. I also have a Big Green steam cleaner which I use often

by Anonymousreply 268April 6, 2022 10:41 PM

Reporting back (again) on Fume Free Easy Off oven cleaner. I used it on my shower floor again (fiberglass). This time, I used a stiff brush (nylon, I think). And ... it worked. There are some small areas that still have stains and I need to spot-clean those areas. But for the most part, it worked. You have to spray a lot on there. I only let it soak for 20-30 minutes, but the directions say to soak for 1 hour.

It wasn't just the brush, though. Because I scrubbed it first with just the brush and Dawn dish soap. Some of the dirt / stains did come off, but significant amount still left over.

Then, I sprayed the Easy Off & brushed / scrubbed it again. Much better.

by Anonymousreply 269April 16, 2022 9:00 PM

What irks me about cleaning products for every little thing is not so much the chemical cleaners themselves, but the disposable packaging.

Incinerating or burying all that packaging releases dioxin into the air, water and soil, which contribute heavily to the growth of cancers and other diseases in mammals.

by Anonymousreply 270April 16, 2022 11:16 PM

Be silly, be whimsical. Sing and dance along with the music you're playing. Pretend to be in a movie montage. That works when you are alone or with others like family or roommates, make it a silly & fun tradition. It takes away the "ugh, I hate doing that!" negativity attached to chores.

by Anonymousreply 271April 17, 2022 2:34 AM

Be rich, have a staff to clean for you, including a pool boy to sex you up.

by Anonymousreply 272April 17, 2022 3:22 AM

Two things that I recommend;

If you want easier cleaning of your bathroom tile, chrome fixtures, glass shower doors, etc, and their repelling of water spots, then after cleaning them use a glass wax on them and then wipe that down with a soft cloth after the solution sits for about 1-2 minutes. Use it about every 4-6 weeks. I use Rain-X. It does wonders! It's also great to use on stove tops too.

If you want your bathroom to have a near blinding shine then do what many hotel housekeeping staff do and use. Use furniture polish! Just lightly spray and then wipe down with a soft cloth.

by Anonymousreply 273April 17, 2022 10:19 AM

Wow! Greg wins this thread hands down.

by Anonymousreply 274April 17, 2022 10:32 AM

[quote]My housekeeper comes in once a week (Wednesdays) while I'm at work. She cleans, does the laundry, etc. She's fantastic and I think of her as a friend.

[i]Translation[i]

Cheap labor...

by Anonymousreply 275April 17, 2022 11:57 AM

Housework is JUST NO FUN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276April 17, 2022 12:17 PM

OH, MY GOD!!!

I have a testimony THIS morning!!!

I have been reading through this thread picking up many good cleaning tips but the postings about vinegar really intrigued me. I have never considered vinegar to be this miraculous cleaning agent. I never learned anything about its cleaning properties while growing up or knew anyone that made such use of vinegar. I'm from the "everything" is store bought with a brand name era. Anyway, my kitchen is close to spotless, but what has always annoyed me since I moved into this apartment was this one eye on my kitchen stove that was so encrusted with baked on grease that I could not even make a dent into it with whatever I used. I had resigned myself to the reality of that it would just be something that I would have to get used to and live with. After reading the 170-whatever post about vinegar I decided to give it a try. I remembered that there was maybe a little cleaning vinegar left by whoever in the cabinet under the bathroom. As for baking soda I always have that at ready.

Well, honey child....

I'm still in shock over this! I can't really describe the amazement and feelings of what I have just witnessed. I applied the vinegar, sprinkled some baking soda on top of it, and used a soft sponge to rub it in a bit. I let it sit for maybe 3-4 minutes. "It can't hurt", I thought to myself. So, as I returned back to the stove I was expecting the solution just to remove some of the baked on grease. I would have been happy with that. I was also expecting to have to put some elbow grease in really getting the grit off.

When I just simply wiped... and I saw the clean surface... I nearly fell out on the floor! This is just unbelievable! I now regret that I did not take a before and after picture. Simply amazing....

After reading the 170-whatever post about vinegar I decided to give it a try. I remembered that there was maybe

by Anonymousreply 277April 17, 2022 4:20 PM

Would one of you gurls get Miss R277 her smelling salts, please?

by Anonymousreply 278April 17, 2022 5:13 PM

Hooonn naaayyy, Miss R277 done fainted DEAD AWAY from the MIRACLE that IS vinegar and baking soda.

by Anonymousreply 279April 17, 2022 5:16 PM

Fuck that vinegar and baking soda crap.

by Anonymousreply 280April 17, 2022 11:38 PM

There was a product that I used years ago, BOOS, that really worked in removing the odor of cat urine. I think it was B.O.O. S.

by Anonymousreply 281April 19, 2022 11:41 PM

Her name is Yosinnia.

Just fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 282April 19, 2022 11:54 PM

I recently learned that to effectively clean a toilet, you need to pour some water into the bowl to make it empty (without flushing it). Then using regular toilet bowl cleaner works really well because it hits much more of the bowl itself and isn't watered down. (Maybe this was up-thread. If so, I tried it and it works.)

by Anonymousreply 283April 19, 2022 11:59 PM

Lick it up

by Anonymousreply 284April 20, 2022 1:04 AM

In [italic]Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil[/italic], there was a bit about a man recommending using a brick on hard water stains. Never having dealt with this, I have no idea if it works.

by Anonymousreply 285May 4, 2022 12:30 PM

It doesn’t work r285. They did that because they didn’t have much choice back then.

by Anonymousreply 286May 4, 2022 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!