Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kodi Smit-Mcphee - What Went Wrong

He was suppose to SWEEP all the movie awards on the awards show circuit

Instead after winning the Golden Globe (which was NOT televised) he has suffered humiliating losses all season long

From the SAG to the BAFTA to Critics Choice

So the question is - what went wrong? He is suppose to be the next best thing Hollywood is going to make happen,

by Anonymousreply 160July 17, 2022 1:28 AM

Deaf beats twink. Simple. Also Power of the Dog is likely to win BP Oscar, so this is a way to recognize CODA. (And he’s supposed to be excellent—haven’t seen it yet).

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2022 12:06 AM

He’s not a deaf man who has supposedly paid his dues. That’s the story that’s warming hearts this year.

Oh, and Best Actress is the only category where the youngest nominee usually wins.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2022 12:10 AM

He's a kid. He could get nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2022 12:11 AM

ewwwww

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2022 12:12 AM

That sucks because he is brilliant in this movie. Kid is so so talented.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2022 12:13 AM

No one commented so you did more than once? Lmaoooooooooooooo It’s so funny to me.

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2022 12:14 AM

[quote] Deaf beats twink

I used to beat deaf.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2022 12:23 AM

He is very young and I think people believe he will have more chances

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2022 12:24 AM

For all his other failings, OP, I’m sure that he wouldn’t say “suppose to be”.

Were you educated beyond 6th grade or did your single mother send you straight down the mines?

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2022 12:26 AM

Plus he wasn’t the frontrunner. It was predicted for months Cotsur was gonna give him a run for his money!

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2022 12:28 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2022 12:42 AM

^Nanny McPhee's son.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2022 1:52 AM

[quote] Plus he wasn’t the frontrunner.

Not according to Gold Derby - they have been pushing him for MONTHS - just last week, they published another article saying

"Why Kodi Smit-Mcphee Is Still The Front Runner"

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2022 1:54 AM

I rank him third behind Kotsur and Hinds, after seeing all three movies. I’ve never seen an actor like Kotsur whose performance was almost entirely physical - really cool.

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2022 1:57 AM

Yup. Kotsur has been my pick also unless Faist got nominated, which he didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote] I’ve never seen an actor like Kotsur whose performance was almost entirely physical - really cool.

Gold Derby is countering that by stating that Kodi Smit-Mcphee subtext in all his scenes is brilliant

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2022 1:59 AM

Should add though Gold Derby concedes that Troy Kotsur had taken the lead in their rankings

They insist this is NOT OVER - that Kodi Smit-Mcphee can still win, if the judges at least watch the DVD

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2022 2:01 AM

Whatever subtext that might have been by Kodi* doesn’t compare to even one scene of Ciaran Hinds and his old lovelorn eyes gazing at Judi Dench.

* I’d heard about a twist in the film and kept thinking it was going to be abuse/incest by Kiki Dunst. Not sure if the subtext was effective,

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2022 2:02 AM

R18 I have no interest in watching the film, so what is this twist they keep talking about?

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2022 2:04 AM

Kodi was great but not even the best out of those five nominees. The critics have been hyping him up like crazy, the way they did Kristen Stewart. It was all hype.

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2022 2:04 AM

[quote]Deaf beats twink. Simple. Also Power of the Dog is likely to win BP Oscar, so this is a way to recognize CODA. (And he’s supposed to be excellent—haven’t seen it yet).

There's still time for him to Oscar-campaign; time for him to play hardball and remind everyone who's listening that he's half blind.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2022 2:06 AM

Young females are more likely to win than young males. Most Oscar votes are straight guys, that's why

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2022 2:09 AM

Kodi just wasn’t all that. He was fine. Even some people not nominated were better than him

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2022 2:13 AM

[quote] Kodi just wasn’t all that. He was fine.

But Kodi Supporters are screaming

BUT THE SUBTEXT - It was off the charts, they way he played the character

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2022 2:15 AM

Kodi is straight?!

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2022 4:07 AM

He worked with his "friend" Bryan Singer. He deserves nothing..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2022 4:14 AM

[quote]I rank him third behind Kotsur and Hinds, after seeing all three movies.

Totally agree. Kotsur gave one of the most memorable performances I've seen in a long time and Hinds was just plain lovable. McPhee is talented, but in terms of specific performances, he suffers in comparison only.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2022 4:18 AM

He seems very smug.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2022 4:20 AM

People forget that he was the "next big thing" with The Road 13 years ago, then again with Slow West 7 years ago, and now he's the "next big thing" again with another period piece that's essentially a Western, and I suspect a lot of people don't think of him as a hot new property anymore.

I like him a lot, but let's not pretend like he hasn't been around for a long time already.

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2022 4:21 AM

Sorry, but Kotsur stunk. He did nothing we haven't seen any no name actor at Deaf West do. It's a bullshit diversity award. And he'll never work again.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2022 4:26 AM

The awards these days are about popularity and cultural trends.

Kotsur ticks all the diversity boxes which are the current fad

The Oscars have become the Your Overdue Awards.

Smith & Chastain say hello.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2022 7:03 AM

[quote]The Oscars have become the Your Overdue Awards.

um, no. Eight times no.

by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2022 7:14 AM

Anyone but Glenn is in the Academy's charter.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2022 7:35 AM

R30 and what did Kodi do that no one else could?

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2022 9:24 AM

It was just a competent performance. Back in the day, there were hundreds of roles and performances like these a year. There still are in the cinemas of many other countries.

The only things interesting about Kofi are his odd looks and youth so as a gay guy into weird twinks I'm titillated and like to imagine his cock and taint.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2022 9:37 AM

Unfortunately CODA is the kind of sentimental crap the Academy slobbers over, Kotsur’s performance included. Think Green Book— movies that hint about BIG ISSUES (racism, deafness) but do so in an inoffensive and palatable way.

by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2022 10:50 AM

AMEN r36!

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2022 10:54 AM

While it did have moments of sentimentality (and a really boring romance subplot that kept derailing it) I'm not sure CODA and The Green Book are apples to apples. Many many actual children of deaf parents have talked about how frank and realistic a depiction it was of their own experiences, and I don't know many movies that can say that.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2022 10:55 AM

Power of the Dog peaked quite early. Since then Kirsten Dunst has been overtaken in her category along with Kodi in his. If voting went a bit longer it would be in big danger of losing Best Picture with CODA quickly gaining momentum.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2022 11:00 AM

Drive My Car is going to get BP anyway.

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2022 11:02 AM

Belfast should win Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2022 11:04 AM

Kodi looked pissed he lost at the BAFTA last night - everyone was saying he had it in the bag - because if anyone would be fans of "Power of the Dog" it would be European Voters

So while Kodi shrugged at losing the SAG, he seemed pissed he lost the BAFTA

And with the latest controversy (director Jane Campion saying she has it tougher in life than Venus & Serena) - I was thinking CODA could win Best Picture - after Campion remark, it just increases CODA chances now

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2022 3:16 PM

Lmao no controversial there

by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2022 3:27 PM

If Kodi is a shower with 8 or 9 inches, AND promises to get naked soon, in return for the Award, give him the award.

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2022 6:26 PM

He looks like a bug.

by Anonymousreply 45March 15, 2022 8:14 AM

If Power of the Dog loses BP, it won't be because of Campion's comment. Everyone agrees she mainly made a bad joke, was charmingly tipsy, and apologized for her gaffe sincerely. It may lose for being too "arty" (in which I would predict Belfast or CODA), but it's still my choice.

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2022 1:47 AM

I agree it peaked early. Maybe they should have released it on Netflix a bit later.

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2022 2:45 AM

What was Campion's joke?

by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2022 3:47 AM

The Portrait of a Lady.

by Anonymousreply 49March 16, 2022 3:53 AM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought his performance was the major flaw of the film. Although I can't really define it, there was something very "modern" about his performance, appearance, speech, and body language. He was the one cast member who didn't seem credible as someone living in Montana in 1925. And also, to me, the fact that he's so physically unattractive was another big detriment to his casting. I don't think the character needed to be a beauty, but I really don't think he had to look like that.

by Anonymousreply 50March 16, 2022 4:01 AM

[quote]there was something very "modern" about his performance

I rather thought that was the point of the character's affectations. He represented the future of being comfortable in your own version of masculinity instead of tortured, stuck in the past, and closeted like Benedict's character was.

by Anonymousreply 51March 16, 2022 5:45 AM

"He was suppose to"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 52March 16, 2022 5:49 AM

GAY! There's your answer.

Straights playing gays isn't the award lockdown it used to be, thankfully.

by Anonymousreply 53March 16, 2022 6:12 AM

What straight guys won Oscars for playing gay people?

William Hurt.

That's all I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 54March 16, 2022 7:05 AM

Tom Hanks, Jared Leto

by Anonymousreply 55March 16, 2022 7:19 AM

Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Sean Penn

by Anonymousreply 56March 16, 2022 7:22 AM

Rami Malek, Christopher Plummer, Mahershala Ali

and- one *could* argue- Joel Grey, as the Emcee has been seen as gay and Joel was straight when he won it.

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2022 7:25 AM

R53 Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2022 7:31 AM

r57, Rami Malek? I’ve heard otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2022 11:52 AM

He is unusual looking and looks awkward on camera. I don't think his performance was anything awards-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2022 2:05 PM

[quote]I rather thought that was the point of the character's affectations. He represented the future of being comfortable in your own version of masculinity instead of tortured, stuck in the past, and closeted like Benedict's character was.

Interesting, but it wasn't his gay affectations that I found too modern, it was his speech and body language in general. To me he seemed like some gay teenager you might find in some big, midwestern city in the present day, not like a kid from rural Montana.

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote]He is unusual looking and looks awkward on camera.

To put it mildly. And I guess some people think he was "acting" all of that.

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2022 2:38 PM

He looks like the latest gimmick hire for fashion model. I love these types even though I recognize they are the opposite of the truly handsome.

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2022 2:41 PM

I wonder if the director specifically cast a young man with a very odd, unattractive look rather than someone closer to a pretty boy? I'm thinking yes.

by Anonymousreply 64March 16, 2022 2:46 PM

He looks too "European" to be a born and bred mid westerner

by Anonymousreply 65March 16, 2022 3:24 PM

It's so cool that Datalounge has brought together so many eldergays who lived back in the days of the old west and can tell us all how people acted and looked then.

by Anonymousreply 66March 16, 2022 3:37 PM

That's a rather flip and silly comment, R66. Of course I don't know for sure how people looked, acted, and spoke in Montana in 1925. But the fact remains that, for whatever reasons, Kodi was the only actor in the movie who struck me as not fitting the period, so there must be a reason for that.

by Anonymousreply 67March 16, 2022 4:11 PM

Kodi and Claire are playing dustbowl white trash and they nailed the look if you want my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 68March 16, 2022 4:41 PM

Gold Derby has been pushing for Kodi Smit-Mcphee since last September - and they still haven't given up for him to win the Oscar

as they have awarded Kodi the Gold Debry Best Supporting Actor award (over Kotsur) & hoping that will sway some Oscar voters who are currently voting,

by Anonymousreply 69March 16, 2022 10:06 PM

In one of Gold Derby latest articles they are suggesting that Kotsur & Ciaran Hinds (Belfast) could split the vote and allow Smit-Mcphee to come up the middle

They are NOT giving up on lobbying Oscar voters to vote for Smit-Mcphee

by Anonymousreply 70March 16, 2022 10:10 PM

Gold Derby is a joke. The articles are so stupid most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 71March 16, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote]it wasn't his gay affectations that I found too modern, it was his speech and body language in general. To me he seemed like some gay teenager you might find in some big, midwestern city in the present day, not like a kid from rural Montana.

Fair point R61, I get what you're trying to say and see where you're coming from. I guess it wasn't that distracting to me. I liked the sharp contrasts between him and Benedict but I can see how they were too jarring for others.

by Anonymousreply 72March 17, 2022 6:13 AM

Kodi won't win because he is not attractive enough to play a gay character (ditto Cumberbatch).

We like our gays good looking.

by Anonymousreply 73March 17, 2022 9:24 AM

I just watched Belfast and I cannot for the life of me understand how either Hinds or Dench snagged a nomination for those underwritten, lackluster roles, especially Dench. And when those who voted actually had to sit through two other supporting performances in the same film that were so much more deserving, Balfe especially. One could argue that the parents were leads, but really, it was the boy's story (and he was better than anyone in the cast), so everyone else could easily be considered supporting.

I didn't love the film. Lots of holes in the script. But it looked beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2022 5:56 AM

The kid is the only one who deserved a nomination in Belfast. Hinds did give a very endearing performance though.

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2022 7:42 AM

I find Kodi rather Ethereal...which of course is not very Australian. We have a saying 'Football, meat pies and Holden cars'. He's not Butch and bogan enough.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2022 8:13 AM

Kodi's father is a real bogan and stage father. He is also and actor.

I remember seeing an interview with him years ago and he gave off creepy vibes.

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2022 8:15 AM

So again what went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 78March 21, 2022 1:09 AM

Mike Faist is the best thing in WSS. If he had been cast as Tony it might have been a better film.

by Anonymousreply 79March 21, 2022 1:18 AM

Now on Gold Derby - not a single Expert is saying Kodi will win - a few days ago he still had three experts pulling for him. Now those three have switched their vote to back Kotsur

Again - what went wrong with Kodi Smit-Mcphee Oscar campaign. This was suppose to be in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 80March 23, 2022 12:52 AM

The Academy does not award young male actors, so that was always going to be a strike against KSM. CODA and Kotsur’s role of gruff fisherman dad is exactly the kind of slop the Academy slurps up. They were never going to give it to the weird looking fey guy in that gay western.

by Anonymousreply 81March 23, 2022 12:58 AM

CODA had a lot of funny lines and situations. I thought I would hate it but I really liked it. I thought Marlee Matlin and Emilia Jones also deserved nominations.

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2022 1:37 AM

This is been a terrible year for movies. It’s ironic that Spider-Man is better than many of these nominated movies. The power of the dog is crap. CODA is the best pick in the litter.

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2022 1:53 AM

Coda is shit on a shit stick with a side of shitslaw.

by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2022 3:04 AM

r84, that shit on a shit stick with a side of shitslaw is going to win Best Picture, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 85March 23, 2022 3:07 AM

2nd worst movie of the year, right behind Being the Ricardos.

by Anonymousreply 86March 23, 2022 3:10 AM

[quote] They were never going to give it to the weird looking fey guy in that gay western.

Then explain Jared Leo Oscar win

by Anonymousreply 87March 23, 2022 3:11 AM

He looks a bit freaky and has a weird name.

by Anonymousreply 88March 23, 2022 3:13 AM

Film critic writes that in any other year, would win

"In any other year, Kodi Smit-McPhee, 25, would be covered in Oscar glory for playing Peter, the androgynous medical student who locks horns with the bullying cowboy played by Benedict Cumberbatch. But nothing prepares you for the quietly devastating performance Smit-McPhee delivers here.

by Anonymousreply 89March 24, 2022 3:11 PM

Kotsur is average in a bad TV movie. Were it not for the deaf angle, the film would get no attention? It's maudlin, trite, and cliched as hell. And yes, both Kotsur and CODA will win, defeating THE POWER OF THE DOG and DRIVE MY CAR, two brilliant films that will be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 90March 24, 2022 3:31 PM

R86 Hell. I'd rank it one behind Being the Ricardos, another POS.

by Anonymousreply 91March 24, 2022 3:33 PM

r74 Agree...just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 92March 24, 2022 3:35 PM

Drive My Car is a boring POS.

by Anonymousreply 93March 24, 2022 4:21 PM

R93 it really would have been punched up with more car chases and explosions, but I do hope you've found solace in action-packed films more your speed, such as the Cheaper By the Dozen remake or that new Ana De Armas/ Ben Affleck vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 94March 24, 2022 9:43 PM

Is the gay western "Power Of The Dog" going to go the way of the last gay western "Brokeback Mountain"? All the Oscar momentum is gone except for directing.

by Anonymousreply 95March 24, 2022 9:57 PM

Kodi just showed up in all aqua - shirt, jacket, pants and shoes all in the color of aqua

by Anonymousreply 96March 27, 2022 10:12 PM

So now that Kodi has now lost the Oscar - what went wrong

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2022 1:38 AM

he's not deaf

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2022 1:39 AM

There are no fags in the wild west.

by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2022 1:40 AM

What r98 said! Oscars and their sentimental politically correct bullshit. Kodi gave the better performance.

Also, ABC’s telecast this year is trash! I hope the ratings are abysmal!

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2022 1:47 AM

R99 is not Sam Elliott. It's Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2022 1:47 AM

R100, yawn, yet another troll. Whining about politically correctness is so Sean Hannity of you

by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2022 1:54 AM

There are no “big things” any more.

by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2022 1:57 AM

Fuck you r102! I’m as liberal as they come but I don’t support giving the Oscar to someone with a handicap who can give a touching speech that will make people cry sappy tears over someone who gave a far better performance.

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2022 2:00 AM

R100/104, you seem to think the Oscars are supposed to reflect your own personal opinions. You may not think Troy Kotsur gave the best performance but there are plenty who think he did.

by Anonymousreply 105March 28, 2022 2:48 AM

Yeah!

by Anonymousreply 106March 30, 2022 2:03 AM

The Marlee Matlin trick. Gotta get the deaf actor up there to the podium so everyone can cry.

by Anonymousreply 107March 30, 2022 3:08 AM

[quote] Yeah!

Yay!

Squee.

Adorbz.

by Anonymousreply 108March 30, 2022 3:09 AM

[quote] The Marlee Matlin trick. Gotta get the deaf actor up there to the podium so everyone can cry.

I knew how to make Marlee Matlin cry. Coincidentally it involved a slap.

by Anonymousreply 109March 30, 2022 3:09 AM

The nominations themselves and the final outcome are indicative of the fact that most Academy members do not watch the films. CODA was a film I enjoyed and I honestly thought Maitlin deserved a Supporting Actress nomination. The film ultimately triumphed as Best Picture so why wasn’t there a nom for Maitlin and where was the nomination for Best Director?

Similarly, why 12 nominations for The Power of The Dog with only one win? And the tell-tale sign here that members didn’t actually watch the film - aside from the poor showing on the night - was the nomination for Plemons, who is perfectly fine in the film but in a very limited role playing a character who pretty much disappears midway through the film. You wouldn’t consider the performance for a nomination - and nobody was - on a 1st viewing alone. (Plemons is a fine enough actor but there were definitely more worthy nominees.)

And then there’s the case of Denis Villeneuve. Dune wins 6 Oscar plus a Best Picture nomination and every winner praises Villeneuve to the heavens but there was no Best Director nomination. Are we to understand that Academy members know so little about filmmaking that they think the most honoured film of the night directed itself? They don’t watch the films.

When I was listening to Maron’s podcast, the minute I heard Sam Elliott dog Campion’s film I knew that the film’s awards potential would ebb away - I could feel it. And suddenly Academy members thought it was all right to dismiss The Power of The Dog and their attention turned to CODA which was much easier to consume (though if you like cinema The Power of The Dog is a great watch, I’ve watched it 3x) and something they could get on board with. I don’t begrudge CODA’s win but where was the support for it in other categories? Where was the nomination for Emilia Jones?

Academy members mostly pay attention to campaigns and barely watch the films.

by Anonymousreply 110March 30, 2022 7:50 AM

What the fuck are you on about, R110? Not a single point you attempted is valid.

Clearly actors watched the films if they nominated Plemons and Kotsur. Smit-McPhee was the frontrunner for nearly all of Oscar season up until the nominations came out. Plemons wasn't even in the conversation. So clearly the actors branch of the Academy saw something in his performance that they singled him out. And they clearly didn't see anything in Matlin's (rightly so).

Several films nominated for Best Picture do not have a corresponding Directing nomination, and films have previously won Best Picture without their directors being nominated. And with the category opened to 10 films instead of five, it's going to happen more often. Coda won for one reason and one reason only- People like to feel good about themselves in Hollywood. They like to show how liberal and forward thinking they are (with the least effort possible). This was Hollywood's way of saying- Look how diverse we are! See, we're not all selfish monsters! Meanwhile the film was execrable and Troy Kotsur was not even deserving of a nomination, let alone an award. Not that The Power of the Dog was any great shakes, and this was one of the worst years for film ever, but POTD had some artistry to it. It's a film that you could understand winning Best Picture. Anyone could have made Coda. And anyone did.

Many films have won several technical awards without a corresponding directing nomination. What Dune did is not unheard of at all. The Matrix won four Oscars, every one it was nominated for. Terminator 2 also won 4 technical awards (nominated for 6, none above the line). Memoirs of a Geisha was also nominated for 6 technical awards, winning three. Roger Rabbit won 4 Oscars, including Editing. And there are others. None of which were nominated for Picture or Director.

You have no idea how nominations for Oscars are selected.

Had you said that no one watches the documentaries, foreign films, or any of the short films, I'd be right there with you- ONCE they are selected for nominations, that is. There are actual committees for those categories who volunteer to watch all the films submitted and vote on their inclusion for nominations. But once they make that final five... A tiny percentage of voters actually watches them. I am a voter and I can tell you I rarely watch any of the short films. I just don't care. Do I vote for them? Sometimes, yes. If I know the person involved I'll take a look at their film, but not all of them. And I know this is the practice of many other voters, just as I know some voters give their ballots to their wives or kids to fill out, some only vote politically/strategically, some even do their own version of throwing a dart at the category.

And you can take this to the bank- the short with the most intriguing title almost always wins. If you see a short nominated with a goofy title, predict it. People just check off that title on their ballot without watching. No one has time to watch these things.

by Anonymousreply 111March 30, 2022 9:05 AM

CODA came along.

by Anonymousreply 112March 30, 2022 10:11 AM

[quote]Why 12 nominations for The Power of The Dog with only one win?

I guess you somehow missed this fact, but throughout the history of the Academy Awards, there have been MANY cases of films receiving multiple nominations but very few wins, or NO wins. And if you can't figure out why or how that happens frequently, I certainly can't explain it to you.

by Anonymousreply 113March 30, 2022 12:34 PM

People admired Power of the Dog. They loved CODA.

by Anonymousreply 114March 30, 2022 7:30 PM

When I was in high school I loved Chris Rock’s comedy album Bigger and Blacker. I think Wanda appeared in a few of the skits.

by Anonymousreply 115March 30, 2022 8:31 PM

Next year an actor with a dead career will present Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 116March 30, 2022 8:37 PM

lol Yes, he does, R45. But Rami Malek won an Oscar, so there's still hope for Kodi.

by Anonymousreply 117March 30, 2022 8:38 PM

I'm sorry but who is this person? Maybe that's why he didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 118March 30, 2022 8:40 PM

R110 agree with you about Plemons. I like the guy, but I don’t understand why he was nominated for best supporting actor. He was fine, but nothing remarkable. Smit-Mcphee, Benedict, and Kirsten, yes. Plemons, no.

by Anonymousreply 119March 30, 2022 8:41 PM

Someone needs to dig up the dirt that its a FAKE diagnosis. But I suppose she has a little bit of loss at the edges from all the hair work over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 120March 30, 2022 8:54 PM

[quote]Someone needs to dig up the dirt that its a FAKE diagnosis.

That would be REALLY interesting, but I'm guessing almost impossible to do.

by Anonymousreply 121March 30, 2022 8:59 PM

r120 for the win! I work with a woman to whom exactly that happened, and she always wears a wig.

by Anonymousreply 122March 30, 2022 9:09 PM

His name is spelled KODI for that alone he should’ve won.

by Anonymousreply 123March 30, 2022 9:15 PM

The dude has movies lined up for the next two years. He won a major career.

by Anonymousreply 124March 30, 2022 9:20 PM

He'll have his time. He's a great actor. I really wanted him and Benedict Cumberbatch to win. I thought their performances were compelling and had so much depth.

by Anonymousreply 125March 30, 2022 9:54 PM

[quote]Smit-Mcphee, Benedict, and Kirsten, yes. Plemons, no.

I'll repeat what I said before he lost the award: I think the casting of that Kodi guy was one of the biggest flaws of the movie, because (1) there was something very "modern" about him that didn't make him believable as someone living in Montana in 1925, and (2) he is so odd looking that it was a distraction throughout the movie. I could see him doing a good job as some oddball character in a movie set in the present day, but I really didn't like him in THE POWER OF THE DOG.

by Anonymousreply 126March 30, 2022 11:49 PM

[quote] It's a film (Power of the Dog) that you could understand winning Best Picture.

Actually according to Oscar voters (in the secret ballot posts) hated the film. didn't understand it and found it derivative

Because of the preferential voting for Best Picture, Dog got some 10th place votes

CODA was able to win, because they got 1, 2 & 3 place votes, and if you get a majority of those, you win.

by Anonymousreply 127March 31, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote] Had you said that no one watches the documentaries, foreign films, or any of the short films,

actually those categories are NOT voted on by the majority of the Academy Membership - for the reason most voters DON'T watch them

A selected panel of voters are assembled into a screening room to watch documentaries, foreign films, & short films

and the panel is the one that votes for those awards - NOT the entire membership

by Anonymousreply 128March 31, 2022 2:27 AM

[quote] actually those categories are NOT voted on by the majority of the Academy Membership - for the reason most voters DON'T watch them. A selected panel of voters are assembled into a screening room to watch documentaries, foreign films, & short films and the panel is the one that votes for those awards - NOT the entire membership

You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. The entire body votes on these awards. As I said in previous post (from which you quoted) there are committees to help select the nominees as opposed to leaving it up to the entire branch. And the "majority of the Academy Membership" (whatever that means, but I assume you're saying the general voting body) does not vote to determine any of the nominees outside of Best Picture. Each branch gets to select their choices for nominees. (Actors select actors, Directors select directors, etc.) The only category everyone votes on from the get-go is to select the nominees for Best Picture. If you're in one of those categories that's sort of a no-mans land (i.e. PR/marketing branch) the ONLY thing you get to vote on is Best Picture (to determine the nominees). But once the nominees have been determined and the ballots for winners are ready, every AMPAS member gets to vote in every category to determine winners.

by Anonymousreply 129March 31, 2022 2:37 AM

From Academy Awards Website

Foreign Film

"Final voting for the winner is restricted to active and life Academy members who have attended exhibitions of all five nominated films."

Documentary Feature

"Final voting shall be restricted to active and life members of the Academy who have viewed all of the nominated documentaries"

Animated & Live Action Short

"Final voting for the Animated Short Film and Live Action Short Film awards shall be restricted to active and life members of the Academy who have viewed all of the nominated short films"

which is a panel of judges NOT the entire membership

Link to Oscar Website

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 31, 2022 2:49 AM

[quote] You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

So R129 - I expect an apology

by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2022 2:58 AM

Yes, and you know what that means? It means you have to declare that you saw all five films. How do you do that? By voting. It says on the ballot (as a disclaimer, and I'm paraphrasing) By voting you're saying you watched all five nominees in the category.

I'm not sure you quite understand the difference between determining the nominees and voting on the winners.

I vote. I know what I'm talking about. You'll be waiting a long time for that apology.

by Anonymousreply 132March 31, 2022 3:00 AM

R132 - so what you are saying is that you lied on your ballot - by saying you watched the films

So if you lied about that, than nothing you write here has any credibility

As you have admitted that you are a liar

by Anonymousreply 133March 31, 2022 3:02 AM

Let me break it down further and more slowly for you.

Committees for those categories determine which films will be nominated by volunteering to watch the films selected to be eligible for nominations. For some of those categories, they actively solicit Academy members who maybe have time on their hands and want to volunteer but you must watch every eligible film. I have never volunteered for it in the 14 years I've been a member. However, I have voted to determine the winners of all of those categories every single year once those committees have selected the five nominees for the categories.

by Anonymousreply 134March 31, 2022 3:04 AM

R134 everything you wrote comes from an admitted liar

by Anonymousreply 135March 31, 2022 3:05 AM

R133, you're a moron. I've explained it in great detail til I'm blue in the face. Believe me, don't believe me, I don't fucking care. Just stop boring me.

by Anonymousreply 136March 31, 2022 3:06 AM

R136 and you also admitted that you lied, so nothing you write has any credibility

by Anonymousreply 137March 31, 2022 3:07 AM

OP Silence is golden

by Anonymousreply 138March 31, 2022 3:19 AM

Indeed, R138, but some people never learn.

by Anonymousreply 139March 31, 2022 3:43 AM

[quote]Final voting for the winner is restricted to active and life Academy members who have attended exhibitions of all five nominated films."

That certainly does SOUND like it means that final voting for awards in those categories is limited to a committee that has been chosen to view and vote on the films, but don't think that's what it ACTUALLY means. My understanding has always been that all Academy members vote for the winners in ALL categories -- and how the nomination process works in each category is a separate issue. It should be relatively easy to determine the truth, but since what we have here are two people INSISTING that their very different information is correct, I guess we'll have to go elsewhere for that.

by Anonymousreply 140March 31, 2022 12:56 PM

It's that name, and the fact that he looks like some sort of insect.

by Anonymousreply 141March 31, 2022 12:58 PM

So again what went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 142May 19, 2022 2:54 AM

OP is either the publicist for this spindly, fugly twink, or has a pathological fetish for him and his portrayal of an early-20th century frontier version of Morrissey.

These exaggerated claims about all of the hypothetical awards he was "supposed to be nominated for" is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 143May 19, 2022 3:04 AM

He doesn't have the necessary combination of talent and looks. Ask Michael Cera how important looks are.

by Anonymousreply 144May 19, 2022 3:08 AM

He gave the supporting actor performance of the year.

by Anonymousreply 145May 19, 2022 3:11 AM

[quote] He gave the supporting actor performance of the year.

then why didn't he win?

by Anonymousreply 146May 19, 2022 3:12 AM

Kodi didn't win because they could give it to a deafee. Deafee trumps best performance, esp. best performance that's also fr a youngster.

by Anonymousreply 147May 19, 2022 3:50 AM

R147 so kodi should have won?

by Anonymousreply 148May 19, 2022 3:53 AM

R144 Ask Michael Cera what talent is or a voice that's dropped. He looks fine now btw in that Amy Schumer thing.

by Anonymousreply 149May 19, 2022 3:55 AM

R149 Nope, btw.

by Anonymousreply 150May 19, 2022 4:33 AM

Who won? I've already forgotten.

The slap sort of shut everything out. Thanks Jada you cunt, though it was nice to watch you being murdered the other night in Scream 2 which I hadn't seen since its first release. She filmmakers could have cut the budget by saving on special effects and doing Jada in for real instead of for reel.

by Anonymousreply 151May 19, 2022 9:54 AM

R151 Maybe caring about award shows a little too much - just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 152May 19, 2022 12:23 PM

He didn't present hole.

by Anonymousreply 153May 19, 2022 1:33 PM

R153-Wanna bet?

by Anonymousreply 154May 19, 2022 2:21 PM

R153 He does take direction well.

by Anonymousreply 155May 20, 2022 11:27 AM

He refused to go nude

by Anonymousreply 156May 20, 2022 12:15 PM

AGREE r147!

by Anonymousreply 157May 20, 2022 9:48 PM

R148 Sometimes better not to have won. If he can display the goods again he will be recognized.

by Anonymousreply 158May 20, 2022 11:52 PM

He's in the new Elvis movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 16, 2022 7:29 PM

R158 I'd recognize him if he displayed the good again.

by Anonymousreply 160July 17, 2022 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!