Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite children's books (or book you liked as a child)

I loved Blueberries for Sal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253May 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Interesting topic!

The Boxcar Children series was one of my favorites. Another one to follow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2022 4:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2022 4:52 AM

The Littlest Witch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2022 4:54 AM

Half-Magic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2022 4:56 AM

The Emerald City of Oz was my favorite of the Oz series.

The Phantasms are perhaps the most terrifying creatures in children's literature.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2022 4:57 AM

The Karma Sutra for Kids

Uncle Mike’s BIG Secret

Let’s Have a Sleepover!!!

Hide and Seek with Neighbor Pete

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2022 4:58 AM

Gumnut Babies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2022 4:58 AM

I Once Had a Master

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2022 4:58 AM

The Story About Ping

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2022 5:22 AM

Three Little Kittens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2022 5:23 AM

Corduroy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2022 5:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2022 5:35 AM

I liked the ones where Jane got Dicked for fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2022 5:37 AM

From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2022 5:42 AM

Richard Scarry's The Best Word Book Ever, 1980 edition.

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2022 6:49 AM

The Five Chinese Brothers.

Of course it would be canceled today but I loved it as a kid. I thought it was hilarious that every time they tried to execute the first brother, they kept them swapping him out with his other brothers that had other supernatural abilities

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2022 7:07 AM

I loved this book. I always wanted to live in the fox's house. I'd love to get a copy for my little cousins, but it's like $200 now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2022 7:13 AM

James and the Giant Peach, Harold and the Purple Crayon, A Wrinkle in Time, Where the Red Fern Grows, Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2022 8:41 AM

R14, I too loved "From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E.L. Konigsburg and will add "The Cricket in Times Square" by George Selden.

I don't know if they're children's books or more of a young adult but they are marvelous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2022 9:56 AM

Around the World With Ant & Bee. An adorable little book I still own. It probably stirred up my love of traveling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2022 10:11 AM

Whats For Lunch, Charley? by Margaret Hodges

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2022 10:27 AM

Raggedy Ann and Andy Stories. The original OZ books

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2022 10:31 AM

Flat Stanley

[quote]When Stanley Lambchop wakes up one morning, his brother, Arthur, is yelling. A bulletin board fell on Stanley during the night, and now he is only half an inch thick! Amazing things begin happening to him. Stanley gets rolled up, mailed, and flown like a kite. He even gets to help catch two dangerous art thieves. He may be flat, but he's a hero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2022 10:54 AM

My original copy was tattered from repeatedly aiming and tossing. I had to switch to the audio version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2022 11:08 AM

The Adventures of the Black Hand Gang by Hans Jürgen Press. Four mysteries. Left pages had story, right pages had meticulous intricate drawings by the author that held the clue for you to find/solve as story progressed. The answer was in the continuing story line on next page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2022 11:18 AM

I tore through the pages. ¡BURP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2022 11:20 AM

My Side of the Mountain…

Any of the Ramona books…

The Bridge to Terabithia…

Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing and Superfudge…

All the Little House on the Prairies …

There are Two Kinds of Terrible…

Dear Mr. Crenshaw…

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2022 11:39 AM

In 1959 at the age of 6 I received a copy of "Charlotte's Web" from my aunt. I went out to my little hiding spot in the back yard where I loved to have my alone time. I was quite literally enchanted as I read and couldn't put it down until I finished it. I would got out there every day for over a week and reread it.

I eventually decided it merited a place in my treasure box, a big locking cedar chest at the foot of my bed where I kept things I valued the most. It was/is my own personal time capsule I wrapped the book in wax paper and then in aluminum foil. To my young mind that was the best way to protect it. Turned out I was right, at least until I gained enough knowledge to know how to really keep my treasured books safe. That treasure box is still full of all my wonderful things 60+ years later and has been in my bedroom closet since 1976. When I die my 2 godchildren will get it and hopefully my treasures will become their children's treasures.

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2022 11:52 AM

This one. How I wanted to put my mouth all over that chocolate cak!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2022 1:13 PM

Any of Ronald Dahl’s children’s books, although I also read his two part autobiography as a tween and loved it. Was also obsessed with Enid Blyton books and Rupert Bear as a younger kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2022 1:20 PM

The famous five was my favourite Blyton series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2022 1:22 PM

This. I loved the little witch book.

Goodnight Moon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2022 1:34 PM

Part one of Dahl’s autobiography. Not technically a children’s book perhaps. His boarding school tales are terrifying!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2022 1:34 PM

Dick and Jane. Especially "Dick".

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2022 1:36 PM

The Monster at the End of this Book

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2022 1:54 PM

In the Henry Sugar book, Dahl has a very scary story about the abuse at his little posh boarding school. YIKES.

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2022 1:56 PM

Fortunately/Unfortunately

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2022 1:57 PM

I had these..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2022 1:59 PM

Fun books

by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2022 2:01 PM

The Great Brain

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2022 2:03 PM

The Moffat books by Eleanor Estes.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2022 2:55 PM

Nancy Drew!

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2022 2:57 PM

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Through the Looking-Glass

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2022 3:58 PM

MOOMINS!!!

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2022 3:58 PM

The Borrowers series.

by Anonymousreply 45March 9, 2022 10:30 PM

The Little House was my favorite. I would read it over and over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 9, 2022 10:41 PM

This was among the first books I was given as a child, and although my copy is in terrible shape, I still have it.

Once-Upon-a-Time Story Book by Rose Dobbs, Random House, 1958.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 9, 2022 11:16 PM

A lot of great books mentioned but my all time favorites were by Mary Norton.Mary Enright was a close second.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2022 12:01 AM

I loved Scary Stories to Tell in The Dark with it's creepy and malevolent black and white illustrations. I also enjoyed Every Secret Thing by Patty Hearst.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2022 12:05 AM

R49, I first discovered Scary Stories in fourth grade. My dad was randomly taking us kids on a road trip and he warned me to bring something to read. On the way out to the car, I stole SS (part 1, I think) off my older sister's dresser and read it aloud to my younger siblings in the backseat during said road trip. We loved those books and the illustrations.

My parents came to resent me telling my siblings ghost stories. Somewhere in high school, I was banned from telling them because, while I was at the mall with my grandma and my parents were out, my other idiot siblings thought there was a ghost upstairs and climbed out a window screaming and running to the neighbor house. For awhile, I had them convinced our detached garage with an attic was haunted by the ghost of a long-dead cannibal grandma who ate her grandkids and the neighbor kids in 1922. I chose the year at random and they wouldn't play in the garage anymore.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2022 12:27 AM

The Satanic Verses

by Anonymousreply 51March 10, 2022 12:29 AM

Freddy the Pig

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Henry Reed

The Melendy Family

The Good Master/The Singing Tree

Swallows and Amazons

The Trumpeter of Krakow

by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2022 1:57 AM

Charlotte's Web. Still one of my favorite books.

by Anonymousreply 53March 10, 2022 2:05 AM

You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2022 2:06 AM

Make Way for Ducklings. Give it at every baby shower.

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2022 2:36 AM

Eloise at the Plaza. How I envied her!

by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2022 2:47 AM

Who Will Toss My Salad?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2022 2:57 AM

I learned to read and write because of Johnny Gruelle's original Raggedy Ann & Andy books.

Anything related to Sesame Street or The Muppets.

"The Halloween Tree" by Ray Bradbury

"The Witch on the Ceiling"

"The Ghost on Windy Hill"

by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2022 3:13 AM

Also, the original Belgian Smurfs comics by Peyo

and any Scooby-Doo books

by Anonymousreply 59March 10, 2022 3:17 AM

Also the original Belgian Smurfs comics by Peyo and any Scooby-Doo books.

by Anonymousreply 60March 10, 2022 3:18 AM

I apologize for the double post! Fucking piece of shit old phone!

by Anonymousreply 61March 10, 2022 3:19 AM

r15: I found that book absolutely hypnotic as a child. I had one from the early 60s and it had many pages that were deleted in later editions - A two page spread on different flowers and how to identify them, and a two-page spread called "Out West" which featured Indians and "squaws". And then to make some of the animals female by putting bows on their heads,

by Anonymousreply 62March 10, 2022 3:24 AM

Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series, featuring brainy Jupiter, logical Bob, and HUNKY Pete.

by Anonymousreply 63March 10, 2022 3:29 AM

Trixie Belden series!

by Anonymousreply 64March 10, 2022 3:37 AM

Three Little Kittens was the first book I learned to read. Loved The Poky Little Puppy, too. Any book about naughty youngsters, human or animal were favorites, as I could relate.

Many books that others have mentioned. Richard Scarry books were a staple at my house.

I appreciate the inclusion of The Great Brain. Seems like that one rarely gets a mention anymore.

by Anonymousreply 65March 10, 2022 4:06 AM

By the third grade, I read anything I could get my hands on and comprehend, like every Hardy Boys and Agatha Christie novel. My parents were divorced and I spent many weekends on buses or in airports on my own between the Bay Area and LA. In the 4th grade, I was reading whatever I grabbed from one of my parents' bookshelves before traveling. I asked my parents too many questions about what "..." means, so my mom gave me my own dictionary to shut me up. Example: "Mom, what is an ice water enema?" (I was reading "Sybil").

At a parent-teacher conference, Miss Siegel suggested to my mom that I might enjoy "Charlotte's Web" over anything by Gore Vidal or Aldus Huxley, which is what I'd been bringing to school to read during recess. I'd exhausted what was in the school library, so I ended up getting a library card for the city library. I read everything by Jack London, Orwell, Ray Bradbury, Richard Wright, and James Baldwin.

From an early age, I knew that adults and society were fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 66March 10, 2022 4:09 AM

The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Runaway Ralph.

The Phantom Tollbooth

by Anonymousreply 67March 10, 2022 4:23 AM

Frog and Toad are Friends

by Anonymousreply 68March 10, 2022 4:33 AM

[quote]The Little House was my favorite. I would read it over and over.

Any of Virginia Lee Burton's books are terrific!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 10, 2022 4:35 AM

As a small child I loved Bread and Jam for Frances. She liked a candy bar called a Chompo Bar as I recall over fifty years later.

The Little Brute Family really made me happy. I related to the child in it. I loved the illustrations.

Misty of Chincoteague

Beezus and Ramona

Henry Huggins

The Twins series of books by Lucy Fitch Perkins. Do kids still read those?

All of a Kind Family and All of a Kind Family Uptown

Cheaper by the Dozen and its sequel Belles on Their Toes

James and the Giant Peach

A Wrinkle in Time

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Frank Baum OZ books of course, most of them anyway.

I loved reading so much and we lived just a few blocks from our town library and I could walk there by myself from a young age. I imagine my list indicates I'm pretty old, lol.

by Anonymousreply 70March 10, 2022 4:39 AM

R19: I read Mrs. Frankweiler when I was in 3rd -4th grade. It was still considered an elementary-aged book twenty years ago, when I re-read it for an assignment during my teaching-credential program.

Of course, now, someone would probably find some fucking "issue" with it. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 71March 10, 2022 4:42 AM

A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. I loved the illustrated version my great aunts gifted me. I can't find the exact edition again.

by Anonymousreply 72March 10, 2022 4:43 AM

Watership Down

by Anonymousreply 73March 10, 2022 4:46 AM

The Pink Motel, by Carol Ryrie.

(It's now quite a collectible, so don't toss the old hardcover version if you have one.)

by Anonymousreply 74March 10, 2022 4:46 AM

Horrible Hepzibah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 10, 2022 4:47 AM

Treasure Island

Uncle Tom’s Cabin

by Anonymousreply 76March 10, 2022 4:47 AM

My dad who would be eighty-nine if still alive told me he liked a Jack London book called "Snowbound", but there isn't a book by him by that title. I know it was short, maybe it was a short story, or a section from "Call of the wild"? Anyway, he said all the boys his age loved it.

by Anonymousreply 77March 10, 2022 4:53 AM

This one. I had a lot of questions as a child. Too many questions. This was an "ain't nobody got time for all of that" purchase from my folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 10, 2022 4:56 AM

Charlotte's Web

Roald Dahl (especially James and The Giant Peach which I loved so much)

Famous Five

Blueberries For Sal (OP I haven't thought about this book for 30 years)

Watership Down

the Richard Scarry books

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Where The Wild Things Are

The Wind In The Willows

The Borrowers

the Narnia books (I was a CS Lewis kid, not a Tolkien kid)

I was addicted to the Famous Five and would constantly cycle through the books, rereading them over and over and over until i knew them by heart. The setting and feeling of those books has somehow come to symbolize an idyllic childhood existence for me. Julian was my first "crush" (not really a crush that young but I knew I liked him).

Watership Down also left a huge mark on me and I can still remember bawling my eyes out over Charlotte's Web. I think that book slightly traumatized me ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 79March 10, 2022 4:59 AM

Another vote for Misty of Chincoteague.

The Lord of the Rings

The Golden Book Encyclopedia

The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley

The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh (sequel to Harriet the Spy, which was not one of my favorites).

Field Guide to Birds (not sure of exact title)

by Anonymousreply 80March 10, 2022 5:07 AM

[quote]Field Guide to Birds (not sure of exact title)

Wow. Same. I can even remember the smooth feeling of the pages and the most colourful birds being my favourite ones. This was my parents' book so who knows why i was reading it but I was, R80.

by Anonymousreply 81March 10, 2022 5:11 AM

I loved Robert Lawson’s ‘Rabbit Hill’ and ‘The Tough Winter’. Father Rabbit had a fine vocabulary which I always tried to emulate.

I also loved ‘Yo Kill a Mickkngbird’ which caused much awarkwardnwss when I asked the definition of tape.

by Anonymousreply 82March 10, 2022 11:04 AM

"Little Pear: The Story of a Chinese Boy" by Eleanor Frances Lattimore was a favorite. As I recall, there wasn't anything particularly special about the plot, just a typical children's story of a good little boy who somehow manages to get himself into trouble over and over again. But the fact that it took place in China fascinated me. The strange names, the descriptions of daily life, and the illustrations opened my eyes to a whole other world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 10, 2022 11:28 AM

"Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Pederasty... But Were Afraid to Ask"

by Anonymousreply 84March 10, 2022 11:44 AM

The methodology on this is for shit, but it’s an interesting compilation to look at nonetheless. I did grow up in Pennsylvania and The Pokey Little Puppy was one of my favorites. Senior year I had a nasty Advanced Math and Calculus teacher who hated me and was outright hostile ( and most likely homophobic) to me in class. I even arranged to leave the end of high school early and take a college level maths class to prepare me for college. My last test in her class when I didn’t give a fuck anymore I never turned over my paper, but sat there reading The Pokey Little Puppy, while others worked as my last fuck you to her and to show the class I had absolutely no respect for her as a teacher. There had been some promotion where McDonalds was giving out Little Golden Books with certain meals and I had just gotten it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 10, 2022 11:45 AM

"What Do People Do All Day?" and "Where the Scary Things Are."

LOVED them as a little child. My parents turned me on to reading at a very young age, and I was reading YA books before the 4th grade, as well as trashy adult paperbacks by 5th-6th grade.

by Anonymousreply 86March 10, 2022 11:55 AM

The Fire Cat

As a kid, I named one of my cats Pickles after the cat in this book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 10, 2022 12:12 PM

Tony’s Tunnel. It’s about a kid who has a secret tunnel and hangs out with all his animal buddies there. I loved the hole that was cut into the book- I’d never seen a book like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 10, 2022 12:15 PM

A Penny For Candy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 10, 2022 12:17 PM

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel

Katy and the Big Snow

by Anonymousreply 90March 10, 2022 12:21 PM

My childhood literary obsession were these Disney fun to learn books from the 80’s. There were 19. I remember going to the A&P with my mom and each week they’d release a new one (or maybe I was only allowed one a week, don’t really remember). Somehow I missed number 4, so I never read that one, but my favorites were Simple Science, It’s a Small World, and Numbers 1-10 (they had Morty and Ferdie, two of my favs).

I spent so many hours with these books

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 10, 2022 12:23 PM

Gus Was a Friendly Ghost

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 10, 2022 12:26 PM

I was a big Berenstain Bears fan and my favorite was The Spooky Old Tree

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 10, 2022 12:29 PM

Ramona and Beezus

Where the Red Fern Grows

Robert Newton Peck’s books with the kid named Soup

Encyclopedia Brown

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Amelia Bedelia series

Go Dog Go

Where The Sidewalk Ends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 10, 2022 12:36 PM

r77, could it be, "To Build a Fire"? I haven't read it, but a friend of mine who is an English teacher loves it. From her description, it's a bit gruesome/dark. About a man trying not to freeze to death.

by Anonymousreply 95March 10, 2022 12:39 PM

R74 - I remember The Pink Motel. I hadn't thought about it fifty years...

by Anonymousreply 96March 10, 2022 12:48 PM

I dont think these have been posted: A Dog on Barkham Street and The Bully of Barkham Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 10, 2022 12:55 PM

This one made a big impression on me as well: The Cay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 10, 2022 12:57 PM

A lot of my favorites have been mentioned (James and the Giant Peach, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland). But my favorite book as a preschooler was "Mr. Willoby's Christmas Tree." It was made into a tv movie in the 90's, but was terrible, imho.

Later, I liked "Key to the Treasure" by Peggy Parish and "100 Pounds of Popcorn" by by Hazel Krantz and Vic Herman. I read each at least three or four times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 10, 2022 2:04 PM

"Ginger Pye," and "Pinky Pye," by Eleanor Estes.

"Pinky Pye," was where I learned of a place called Fire Island. What was Mr. Pye getting up to on the family vacation?

by Anonymousreply 100March 10, 2022 2:29 PM

Many titles already mentioned, but here are a few of my additional favorites, in no particular order:

- Fog Magic by Julia Sauer

- Many books by E. Nesbit, but my favorite is The Magic City

- The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by Eleanor Cameron

- The Fabulous Flight by Howard Lawson

- Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan

Curiously, most of these are by women. As I got older, I reveled in the Tarzan and Mars adventures of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Though my mother had first editions of Tolkien, I didn’t read them until my late teens, just when they appeared in paperback, around 1967.

by Anonymousreply 101March 10, 2022 2:38 PM

[italic]The Velveteen Rabbit[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 10, 2022 2:40 PM

I was born in 1970 but I loved this old book as a child, Five Little Peppers and how they grew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 10, 2022 4:49 PM

"Mr. Pudgins" by Ruth Christoffer Carlsen - wonderful book, kind of like a male Mary Poppins -- probably would be cancelled today because wonderful things would happen when he started smoking his pipe -- soda pop came out of faucets, flying in a bathtub, etc. I loved this books so much that when I found out my parents had gotten rid of stuff when they down-sized, I later ordered it as an adult from Amaozon.

The Moffats -- I remember Madame Bust that their Mom did sewing projects

various Beverly Cleary books - Henry Huggins, Ribsy, (especially the story "Gallons of Guppies"), Ramona and Beezus

Emil and the Detectives - Disney made a tv movie of it on their show years ago

Encyclopedia Brown

Teachers in elementary school read aloud -- "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Charlotte's Web"

There was this wonderful magazine for kids (I think through Scholastic, who sponsored lots of book fairs and very reasonably priced books) that I had a subscription to -- can't remember the name, but it was the same size probably of a "TV Guide" and had lots of colorful picture, cartoon, articles. Any ideas what it might have been called? I can't remember what it was, but it was like my first magazine subscription as a kid, and I looked forward to it every month while I had it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 10, 2022 5:12 PM

R104 (My) Weekly Reader.

by Anonymousreply 105March 10, 2022 5:42 PM

This book taught me to love the outdoors and wild animals. I read it in Detroit. I have lived in the woods for 50 yrs now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 10, 2022 5:56 PM

Gone Away Lake. The story and the line art fascinated me.

I got most of my books from the library so I don’t remember many titles. A few years ago I tried to track some down. I started in the children's section of my local library but obviously they’ve culled most of the books from decades ago. Then I found a few juvenile book forums online and got some answers there.

Looking back, there were a lot of stories set at boarding schools. I wanted to go to one too, it sounded like so much fun.

by Anonymousreply 107March 10, 2022 6:21 PM

As a young child, I used to love big anthology books full of stories and lavish illustrations; major favorites were Hans Christian Andersen, esp THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL, THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER, THE SNOW QUEEN, and THE NIGHTINGALE. But the one I really loved was THE WILD SWANS - the one about the young princess with twelve brothers who were turned into swans by the evil stepmother. To save them, she has to knit shirts out of "stinging nettles" for all twelve of them. The village wants her burned as a witch, so the twelve swans fly in to save her and she throws the shirts over each one, which changes them back to human princes - BUT she hasn't finished the last shirt, so the youngest brother still has a swan's wing. I remember the gorgeous full page illustrations this book had, and how at the end, the wooden stake the villagers were going to use to burn her bursts into flowers instead.

I also liked a book of folk tales called TALES OF A CHINESE GRANDMOTHER which I checked out of the bookmobile over and over. There must have been some trend toward Asian folk tales in the late 50s and early 60s.

But my ALL TIME favorite is THE STORY OF HOLLY AND IVY by Rumer Godden. This was serialized in McCALL'S magazine, which my mother read, and once I read the whole thing I had to have the book. (I bought an older copy off eBay several years ago). It's about an orphan named Ivy who wanders the streets and looks into the window of a toy shop at a doll named Holly, and what happens to them both.

All of these were so imaginative and dramatic, even though they featured evil stepmothers, witches, orphans, brothers who were turned into flying swans, scary toys that came to life at night, and often had sad endings, like THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER and THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL. I loved them all.

by Anonymousreply 108March 10, 2022 6:28 PM

I love Rumer Godden and hadn’t heard of this story so thanks!

by Anonymousreply 109March 10, 2022 6:55 PM

The Pushcart War

Harold and the Purple Crayon

Mr. Popper’s Penguin

by Anonymousreply 110March 10, 2022 6:59 PM

This one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 10, 2022 7:12 PM

R100. I loved the Pye family! “Unsavory character” is one of my favorite ways to describe sketchy people.

by Anonymousreply 112March 10, 2022 7:28 PM

This odd book from 1958 features a man disguised as a tree who helps three horses dress up in drag as princesses to go into town. It’s pretty weird and I’ve never forgotten it. It was one of the few children’s books at my grandmother’s house so I looked at it every time I visited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 10, 2022 8:03 PM

Where the Sidewalk Ends

by Anonymousreply 114March 10, 2022 8:15 PM

Any of the Curious George books

by Anonymousreply 115March 10, 2022 8:15 PM

Back in the 60s:

the Encyclopedia Brown series of books.

Charley and the Chocolate Factory

Beverly Cleary books--my favorite was Ramona the Pest. Cleary just died last year, at the age of 104.

In our elementary school library, there was a series of biographies for children about the childhood of historical figures. I remember reading Clara Barton, Daniel Boone, Mary Todd Lincoln...

Go, Dog, Go. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. Hop on Pop. Put Me in the Zoo.

the Pippi Longstocking series of books.

Heidi

by Anonymousreply 116March 10, 2022 8:50 PM

Are the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings considered children's books?

by Anonymousreply 117March 10, 2022 9:33 PM

R117 Most children’s library sections will have the Hobbit, but place Lord of the Rings in YA.

by Anonymousreply 118March 10, 2022 9:37 PM

Diddle Daddle Duckling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 10, 2022 9:39 PM

No love for Stuart Little? I’ll go drown my sorrows in some sarsaparilla.

by Anonymousreply 120March 10, 2022 9:43 PM

Hardy Boys

by Anonymousreply 121March 10, 2022 9:47 PM

Paddle to the Sea (book and film, both excellent...I have the film on DVD).

by Anonymousreply 122March 10, 2022 9:59 PM

Hide and Seek Fog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 10, 2022 9:59 PM

The Nancy Drew series and the Secret Garden.

by Anonymousreply 124March 10, 2022 10:24 PM

My favorite picture book was Bear Circus, where I fell in love with Australia, koala bears and kangaroos and learned to fear the seven year locusts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 10, 2022 10:29 PM

The Space Cat series!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 10, 2022 10:30 PM

I've long loved the word unsavory, r112. I don't remember, but maybe that's where it started.

by Anonymousreply 127March 10, 2022 10:45 PM

Anyone remember a series of books called "The Happy Hollisters"? I used to have it sent to me like every other month. They were kind of fun back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 128March 10, 2022 10:58 PM

Where’s Waldo. Loved them.

by Anonymousreply 129March 11, 2022 12:22 AM

The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Especially this page:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 11, 2022 12:25 AM

I loved the "Highlights" magazines. One of my relatives paid for the annual subscriptions for several years. I was so excited when it arrived in the mail each month.

by Anonymousreply 131March 11, 2022 12:29 AM

Anything by Beverly Cleary.

by Anonymousreply 132March 11, 2022 12:31 AM

How many do you remember reading?

I counted fourteen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 11, 2022 12:39 AM

R133 I counted 14.

by Anonymousreply 134March 11, 2022 12:41 AM

I loved a lot of Dick King-Smith's books, including The Queen's Nose, George Speaks, Ace, Dodos Are Forever, and the Sophie series. I always though Dick King-Smith was underrated in comparison to Roald Dahl.

Others that come to mind are The Perfect Hamburger by Alexander McCall-Smith, The Exiles at Home by Hilary McKay (used to reread that one a lot, I still have my copy in my bookcase) and the Ramona Quimby books.

by Anonymousreply 135March 11, 2022 12:53 AM

Gone Away Lake and Return to Gone Away by Elizabeth Enright

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg

The Mysterious Shrinking House by Jane Louise Curry

and

Lady Chatterley's Lover by David Herbert Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 136March 11, 2022 12:54 AM

I loved one called "The Diamond in the Window" by Jane Langton. The kids had a bedroom up in a turret at the top of the house, which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 137March 11, 2022 12:58 AM

I imagine Sal from "Blueberries for Sal" is an elderly lesbian today, living in a cabin in the woods with her life partner, walking with a cane, but still taking her bucket out to gather blueberries.

by Anonymousreply 138March 11, 2022 1:00 AM

Oh, Lord I Wish I Was a Buzzard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 11, 2022 1:41 AM

I loved that story too, R106.

by Anonymousreply 140March 11, 2022 1:42 AM

Motherfuckeress

by Anonymousreply 141March 11, 2022 1:44 AM

I had a bunch of Dr. Seuss books, but my favorite was Scrambled Eggs Super. My favorite page was the one where the kid is standing in his kitchen with the hundreds of eggs that he’s collected.

I still have my childhood copy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 11, 2022 1:59 AM

Andrew Henry’s Meadow. When I was in first grade, I never slept during “nap time” (even then I thought it was stupid) and read this book instead, almost every day. A great story and beautiful artwork.

by Anonymousreply 143March 11, 2022 2:05 AM

R143 it was one of my favorite books that I received in a book of the month club type kids literature program through the mail when I was young. Magical.

by Anonymousreply 144March 11, 2022 2:16 AM

The Mr. Men and Little Miss series

Me. Messy was my favorite. Probably because I was a slob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 11, 2022 2:21 AM

Harry the Dirty Dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 11, 2022 2:22 AM

Anybody recall this rather disturbing book based on an Aldous Huxley short story. It creeped me out, but I always went back and read it again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147March 11, 2022 2:23 AM

Does anyone remember the book where two kids and a dog are painting a fence? They start out using red, blue, and yellow paint. Then the dog mixes yellow and blue to make green, then they make orange and purple.i think the dad freaks out when he sees the finished fence with the extra colors.

I’ve googled a few times, but I haven’t found the book yet. I read it in the mid 80’s, but I’m not sure when it was published. I loved that one.

by Anonymousreply 148March 11, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote] This odd book from 1958 features a man disguised as a tree who helps three horses dress up in drag as princesses to go into town. It’s pretty weird and I’ve never forgotten it. It was one of the few children’s books at my grandmother’s house so I looked at it every time I visited.

I remember that book! I liked it. I guess it was a little strange but very sweet. The man in the story an artist named Peter; a seemingly lonely man who sees the wonderful little horses and wants to befriend them. The horses are charmingly named Blackie, Whitey and Brownie, because well, one is black, one is white and one is brown. I can't remember the story much but the horses, with Peter's help, become sought after celebrities and end up being spirited away to further fun and adventures. The last image in the book is of Peter; he's been left behind; his little horsey friends are gone. His face is in his hands; he appears to be crying. It's a very sad ending. I think it made me cry when I was a child.

by Anonymousreply 149March 11, 2022 2:33 AM

R142, Scrambled Eggs Super was the first Dr Seuss book I knew when I was about eight and it’s still my favorite. Save your precious copy of this book. It will appreciate in value since this is one of a handful of Seuss books that have been withdrawn from the market because of politically incorrect content.

by Anonymousreply 150March 11, 2022 2:36 AM

I came across "The Lonely Doll" and "Edith and the Bears" at my branch library and they freaked the fuck out of five-year-old me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 11, 2022 2:41 AM

Ishi Last of his tribe. Not a children's book exactly. I read it at a very influential time. It changed my life.

by Anonymousreply 152March 11, 2022 3:10 AM

"Where the Wild Things Are" is another one from my childhood that comes to mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 11, 2022 3:38 AM

R151 Read the biography about Dare Wright, it will freak you the fuck out even more. I’m shocked no aspiring young actress has snapped it up and done it as a limited series. Especially with all the mid-century NYC elements in it. I wonder if Michelle Williams might still be young enough to pull it off?

by Anonymousreply 154March 11, 2022 3:41 AM

R120. I loved ‘Stuart Little’! He was such a dapper dresser and had a nice convertible.

Did you ever see the original movie? It was on Saturday morning television in the late 60s or early 70s. Johnny Carson, of all people, was the narrator.

by Anonymousreply 155March 11, 2022 3:49 AM

[quote]I loved ‘Stuart Little’! He was such a dapper dresser and had a nice convertible.

Speaking of mice, there was Beverly Cleary's one-off "The Mouse and the Motorcycle." All I remember is that a family was staying in a hotel, a mouse that lived at the hotel rode a Hot Wheels-style motorcycle, and one day the boy got a fever and the mouse raced around all the baseboards looking for a dropped aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 156March 11, 2022 3:53 AM

Mad Libs

by Anonymousreply 157March 11, 2022 3:55 AM

I loved the Ramona and Henry books for their illustrations alone. Amelia Bedilia, Arthurs Halloween(When he actually looked like an aardvark), Gus the ghost, The Mole family's Christmas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 11, 2022 3:56 AM

I read a lot of Andrew Clements when I was a kid. Things not seen was my favorite, I think it was because I sorta liked visualizing a naked teenage boy running around the city of Chicago. I was nine or ten, so it was okay. Wow I was a real homo even back then.

by Anonymousreply 159March 11, 2022 4:24 AM

The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle

by Anonymousreply 160March 11, 2022 4:28 AM

R72, is this the edition you had, with illustrations by Eulalie? It's the 1929 edition published by Platt & Munk. I found mine at Powell's Books in Portland, OR, but you might also try Abe Books. They both have websites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 11, 2022 5:03 AM

This is from when is was very little.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 11, 2022 5:04 AM

[quote] I came across "The Lonely Doll" and "Edith and the Bears" at my branch library and they freaked the fuck out of five-year-old me.

Ah yes, "The Lonely Doll." I remember when I first saw that book; it was in the library of the rather shabby school I had to attend. I wanted the book; I liked the photography. It's noteworthy for the "eerily life like doll." It was a Lenci doll and the author of the book, Dare Wright, redid the doll's look in order to make her more like herself (blonde ponytail, hoop earrings). "The Lonely Doll" is considered by some to be rather unsettling and controversial. It features a scene where the doll is getting spanked by Mr. Bear; the doll is bend over his lap, her little behind in its white panties visible.

Dare Wright's life might be better served by a biography than a biopic. Her life was strange as hell.

Her mother Edith. an accomplished portrait painter, divorced her father and severed all contact with Dare's father and brother. She kept her daughter all to herself like she was, well, a doll. She painted endless portraits of her, all done up in girlish gowns and outfits; she photographed her over and over wearing all kinds of costumes and get ups; in one of them she seems to be a mermaid caught in a net. She photographed her nude. The two were more like a married couple than a mother and daughter. They lived together, traveled together and slept in the same bed, "spooned" around each other. When Edith Wright finally died in her 90s she died in bed with her daughter. Imagine that, being in bed with your mother's dead body.

Did Dare ever have sex with a man? Seems unlikely. She was totally frigid and wouldn't even kiss a guy. She was engaged for a brief period to a pilot, but he died in a plane crash before they could marry. He probably would not have ended up marrying her, seeing as how she didn't even want him to touch her, but she always fended off the advances of other men by saying she had only one true love and he died tragically. It was a convenient excuse.

She reconnected with her brother Blaine when they were in their 20s. Their meeting was highly charged; they were VERY attracted to each other. In fact they even discussed marriage...to each other. Thankfully that didn't happen. They didn't have sex, probably because neither one of them ever matured enough to have an adult relationship with someone of the opposite sex. Blaine hated Edith for keeping Dare away from other people and treating her like "a doll" but there was nothing he could do about it. He was a heavy drinker and never did much in his life besides create a popular fishing lure. He, like Dare, never could establish a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. He died alone; on his deathbed he begged Dare to come and see him, but she could not face the reality of his coming death, so she wouldn't see him.

After the deaths of Edith and Blaine Dare slowly went mad. Although she had a nice apartment she acted like a bag lady, sleeping on park benches and striking up friendships with homeless people. She'd wear clothes that were more appropriate for a child to be wearing and kept her hair in a blonde ponytail. She'd talk to her pictures of Edith and Blaine and play with teddy bears. She ended up getting raped by one of the homeless men she befriended; it was probably her only sexual experience with a man. She died in a hospital in her 80s, alone.

Some life. It does deserve a movie of some sort. I think if one were made it would classify as a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 163March 11, 2022 5:28 AM

The Giving Tree

by Anonymousreply 164March 11, 2022 5:30 AM

Little Popcorn.

Next pet I get I’m naming Popcorn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 11, 2022 5:32 AM

Koko’s Kitten. I loved the idea of a gorilla having a kitten. I bought this at the school book fair in second grade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 11, 2022 5:37 AM

The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden. It’s the story of a Romani girl who after the death of her grandmother becomes a problem for the authorities, and faces prejudice and rejection in her small village. Adapted for TV by the BBC as “Kizzy”.

by Anonymousreply 167March 11, 2022 5:37 AM

I think I read every Doctor Dolittle book that I could find in my local library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168March 11, 2022 5:47 AM

Remember Scholastic Book Club? I loved the monthly four-page "catalogue".

by Anonymousreply 169March 11, 2022 6:02 AM

Make Way for Ducklings is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 170March 11, 2022 6:09 AM

I loved this book!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171March 11, 2022 6:27 AM

Oooh oooh the Adrian Mole books. I loved those and remember thinking his girlfriend Pandora has the prettiest name ever and that if I ever had a daughter I would name her Pandora.

by Anonymousreply 172March 11, 2022 7:30 AM

My favorite Beverly Cleary book was Ellen Tebbits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 11, 2022 4:55 PM

There is a biography of Dare Wright: The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll, by Jean Nathan, 2004. I agree Wright’s story is a Netflix series waiting to be made.

by Anonymousreply 174March 11, 2022 9:09 PM

Earliest book I remember is ALL BY MYSELF, it was a cloth book with a belt to bucket, a button to fasten, a zipper to zip, a shoelace to tie. This was the 1950's, I still had the book until a few years ago when I decided to de-clutter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 11, 2022 9:35 PM

[quote] Anyone remember a series of books called "The Happy Hollisters"?

I do. My sister had all of them and they ran across the top shelf of her dresser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 11, 2022 9:53 PM

This was one of my favorites to check out from the library.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 11, 2022 9:56 PM

[quote] there was Beverly Cleary's one-off "The Mouse and the Motorcycle."

Runaway Ralph, mentioned upthread, is its sequel. And then there's Ralph S. Mouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 11, 2022 10:21 PM

A Cranberry Halloween

A Cranberry Christmas

A Cranberry Thanksgiving, Easter, Summer, Autumn, etc. I would check these out from my elementary school library a lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 11, 2022 10:28 PM

Mrs. Wiggs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 11, 2022 10:56 PM

Scuppers the Sailor Dog.

by Anonymousreply 181March 12, 2022 1:31 AM

My grandmother had a copy of "the Runaway Pancake" in the basket where she kept all of her magazines. It was there from 1963 or so until she passed away in 1997. My uncle was a book collector and that book disappeared on the day we moved everything out of her house.

I don't remember the story, but this picture displays the exact book cover as I knew it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 12, 2022 2:08 AM

R182 A variation on the Runaway Pancake is 1953’s Journey Cake, Ho!, by Ruth Sawyer, illustrated by Robert McCloskey, who wrote and illustrated OP’s Blueberries for Sal. I was drawn to it even though the story builds to get very dark as all the animals from the farm slowly disappear and the fear of famine rises that the Appalachian family will not have anything to eat. The pictures are done in this eerie green and maroon shades with variations of the two in between that can feel very unsettling. It frightened me, but also drew me in, as the ending is eventually happy, but when the last of animals going missing I was practically afraid to look at the picture when I was really little.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 12, 2022 2:32 AM

Peter Rabbit. I Loved the drawings.

Miss Nelson is Missing

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Superfudge

Harold and the Purple Crayon

I had a few Little Golden Books, but my favorite was Scuffy the Tugboat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 12, 2022 3:15 AM

The Little House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 12, 2022 3:17 AM

Little Critter books

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 12, 2022 3:21 AM

Pat the Bunny

by Anonymousreply 187March 12, 2022 3:26 AM

Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree. I did my first book report on this book way back in second grade. I got an E.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 12, 2022 3:26 AM

For those in awe of Beatrix Potter, she used the considerable wealth from her children’s books to buy up and protect the lands of the Lake District that had inspired her to write her stories. When she died she left over 4,000 acres and 15 farms to the National Trust to persevere the land and way of life that existed there. The V&A commissioned this beautiful film of the area to coincide with a major exhibit of her work currently being exhibited there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 12, 2022 3:27 AM

There was also LBS, the only children's book with a restaurant named after it.

by Anonymousreply 190March 12, 2022 5:10 AM

The "Choose Your Own Adventure" series

by Anonymousreply 191March 12, 2022 6:19 AM

"The Wolves of WIlloughby Chase" by Joan Aiken

by Anonymousreply 192March 12, 2022 6:21 AM

Wow - I started reading voraciously in first grade, but I don't remember the titles of any of those books. My parents were readers, I was a younger child in a large family, so books were all around me. I was probably in 3rd grade when I started reading the entire OZ serious, which my mom had in hardbacks from her childhood in the 1920s. Sadly those got left behind in a move. (Probably worth money, although they probably had some ripped pages or crayon marks, (big family)). I'm shocked no one has mentioned The Secret Garden, (Frances Hodgson Burnett) which I adored. Another book that is rarely mentioned is the Adventures of Perrine - a translation of a famous book for children by a French author , Hector Malot. It is sometimes titled Nobody's Girl in a different English translation I searched for it for years and discovered that is is printed by the Gutenberg project. I have reread it a few times since I discovered that, even though I don't enjoy reading books on the computer. It was apparently made into a very popular anime series and through that achieved a second life many decades after it was published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 12, 2022 6:41 AM

R184, I think I read "The Island of Blue Dolphins" - funny how just seeing the title triggered a memory. Before searching, isn't that book about a Pacific-Islander girl who (somehow) gets "shipwrecked" on a island by herself? Much of the story then is about how she survives.

posting now, will then google, see if I'm at all correct.

by Anonymousreply 194March 12, 2022 9:22 AM

The Poky Little Puppy

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series

Ramona series, especially Ramona and Her Father

Superfudge

by Anonymousreply 195March 12, 2022 9:56 AM

Two Minute Mysteries

by Anonymousreply 196March 12, 2022 9:57 AM

Miss Nelson is missing. Super fudge

by Anonymousreply 197March 12, 2022 10:32 AM

R193 Books of Wonder in NYC, possibly the last book store dedicated to children’s books, was responsible a few decades ago for relaunching the republication of the Oz books after most of them went out of print and bringing them to new generations of readers. They also have the best collection of antiquarian Oz book for sale if you’re looking to rebuild what your mother had and you have a lot of money to spend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 12, 2022 3:00 PM

R194 Close, she’s a California Native American girl, who along with her brother, gets left on a channel island when they remove all of them from their home relocating them to the mainland of California. It’s based on a true story. She was eventually rescued and is buried in an unmarked grave in the Mission at Santa Barbara. Scott O’Dell was considered such a master of historical fiction for children, that there is a literary award for children’s authors who work in that genre.

If your looking for some contemporary children books in that genre it’s a great list to start with. Louise Erdrich has won twice with titles in her series that looks at the parallel Native American experience to the Little House Books. The Green Glass Sea is a striking novel about the making of the atomic bomb, and Chains is part on an amazing trilogy about slavery in the northern states and highlights NYC at the time of the American Revolution, a time and place not often focused on in novels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 12, 2022 3:12 PM

My mom had a very old collection of Uncle Remus books and those used to really crack us up.

by Anonymousreply 200March 12, 2022 4:19 PM

Madeleine. I looked at the pictures; I don't remember reading the story.

the Curious George series.

Caps for Sale.

by Anonymousreply 201March 12, 2022 11:13 PM

Randy Land and the Peppermint Prick Forest.

by Anonymousreply 202March 13, 2022 12:24 AM

Daddy Drinks Because You Cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2022 12:27 AM

R199, I googled after posting and am surprised that a) I did remember the outlines of the story and b) the story is so sad, I'm disappointed in how little stayed with me over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 204March 13, 2022 9:53 AM

204 replies and no mention of Sylvester and the Magic Pebble?

It's kind of a messed up story if you really think about it.

I heard that some schools considered banning it because the animals that portrayed the police officers were pigs. It's funnier now that I think about it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 15, 2022 3:49 AM

Does anyone remember one about a guy who invents a shrinking machine and he shrinks antique furniture and sells it to doll house collectors ? I seem to remember there was a bad guy who he ended up shrinking?

by Anonymousreply 206March 15, 2022 4:08 AM

The Little Prince

by Anonymousreply 207March 15, 2022 4:10 AM

I think I loved this one because of the insane pictures

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 15, 2022 4:17 AM

How many of you tried to solve the mystery of Masquerade and retrieve the bejeweled golden hare?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 15, 2022 5:16 AM

My inspiration.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 15, 2022 5:24 AM

[quote]There was also LBS, the only children's book with a restaurant named after it.

Not to mention IBS, the only children's book with a bowel condition named after it.

by Anonymousreply 211March 15, 2022 6:47 AM

R209, I remember that!! I was fairly young still when it was published and would always look at the pictures when we made our weekly family forays to the book store.

Now off to Google what happened. I think it was found eventually, but don't remember the details.

by Anonymousreply 212March 19, 2022 3:00 PM

Peter Pan. I read it over and over. I could not find an image of the edition of the book my library had (it was hardback, with a red dust jacket and black and white illustrations) , so here's a random cover image.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2022 4:45 PM

R193, I loved The Secret Garden. I doubt I would have chosen to read it but I had read everything I wanted to in the house and it was sitting on my sister’s bookshelf so gave it a go. Similarly The Railway Children which is probably my all time favourite. I always imagined the romanticism of going off to London on a steam train and the nomadic life of the canal people.

by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2022 10:29 PM

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish.

by Anonymousreply 215March 20, 2022 11:43 PM

So gay porn star Cal Culver claims he had an affair with Christopher Reeve? HAHAHA! Yeah, gay porn stars are SO credible.

by Anonymousreply 216March 24, 2022 8:48 PM

R216 What children's book did this story appear in?

by Anonymousreply 217March 24, 2022 8:50 PM

The Road to Oz, by L. Frank Baum, the fifth book of the Oz series. I believe it was a 1926 edition and had originally belonged to my grandfather. It had gorgeous pen and ink illustrations and I cherished it, read it over and over. I still have it, not in the best of shape, but it has all its pages.

by Anonymousreply 218March 24, 2022 9:19 PM

^Good to see you’re posting, again!

by Anonymousreply 219March 24, 2022 10:52 PM

'Otis Spofford', Beverly Cleary

'The Outsiders', SE Hinton

by Anonymousreply 220March 24, 2022 11:19 PM

EVERYONE POOPS!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 25, 2022 5:52 AM

There's a Monster at the End of This Book (with loveable, furry old Grover!)

by Anonymousreply 222March 25, 2022 6:09 AM

Thank you R219. You've made my day.

by Anonymousreply 223March 25, 2022 9:36 AM

One of my favorite childhood memories is my Mom reading from a tattered copy of a book called "Twig" after our baths and in our jammies, sitting on our beds, right before bedtime. Loaded with beautiful illustrations and full of fantasy, imagination, and wonder. Looked forward to it every night. She must have read through it 100 times for us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 25, 2022 3:22 PM

The Little Prince

“What is essential is invisible to the eye.”

by Anonymousreply 225March 25, 2022 3:25 PM

Oh, "What Was I Scared of?" by Dr. Seuss. A Seuss character is relentlessly pursued by a pair of floating pants. Bizarre premise with a heartwarming twist at the end.

by Anonymousreply 226March 25, 2022 8:19 PM

Fun fact, Elizabeth Orton Jones was known as “Twig” to her friends.

by Anonymousreply 227March 26, 2022 2:04 PM

This thread is one of the best in months, so many warm happy, innocent memories and long-forgotten titles of books I loved.

by Anonymousreply 228May 15, 2022 5:22 AM

The most powerful book i read as a preteen was The Pilgrims Progress. It's probably shaped me more than i realize

by Anonymousreply 229May 15, 2022 5:26 AM

Good Little Bad Little Girl, A Golden Book.

Seems this same girl could be super nice or a total bitch. She sounded exhausting. But I was there for the drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230May 15, 2022 5:41 AM

Lots of favorites have already been listed but here's some other goodies:

John Bellairs' The House With a Clock In Its Walls is so good! (I refused to see the movie....I can't stand Jack Black)

Judith Kerr's When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit. And, other WWII, kids fleeing/hiding from the Nazis books.

Loved Phyllis Whitney's mystery books, like Mystery on the Isle of Skye.

Oh, and Noel Streetfields' "Shoes" books, esp Theatre Shoes and Dancing Shoes.

I've actually started collecting some of my favorite kid lit from my youth, in older editions from my childhood. Working on getting all the great Elizabeth Enright books.

by Anonymousreply 231May 15, 2022 5:52 AM

Now i write children's books. That's how much I loved the ones i grew up with.

by Anonymousreply 232May 15, 2022 12:22 PM

The references to Dr. Suess reminds me of a book my brother had, "Happy Birthday to You." It was about a bird who flew into your room on your birthday and took you on an all-day adventure. I LOVED that book.

by Anonymousreply 233May 16, 2022 1:11 PM

Didn't have that as a kid R233 but I think I would have loved it too. My favourite as a kid was James And The Giant Peach for basically the same reason: cool randoms show up and take you on the best adventure ever. I lived for 2 things as a child: candy and adventures.

by Anonymousreply 234May 17, 2022 4:57 AM

Do Famous Five, Secret Seven, Billy Bunter, William, and Biggles mean anything to anyone here?

by Anonymousreply 235May 17, 2022 5:32 AM

We had a book “Benji: The Fastest Dog in the West” and my dad would read it out loud with the fakest Southern accent, to which my mom who was from the South would laugh at my dad’s terrible accent. It was so much fun.

I also had the Grover book. I loved anything Sesame Street.

Does anyone remember a series of books that the family looked like gerbils? The mother wore pearls and a big hat and dress. There was a boy and girl and they always got into some kind of mischief. I LOVED those books. This would’ve been in the ‘80s.

Also, the Little Miss and Mr Man books. All I can remember was Little Miss Scatterbrain and Little Miss Late. They were all different personality traits.

Sweet Pickles Books.

by Anonymousreply 236May 17, 2022 5:59 AM

:) this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237May 17, 2022 6:55 AM

Finn Family Moomintroll

by Anonymousreply 238May 17, 2022 7:06 AM

R235, I had a lot of Enid Blyton books when I was little. They were well constructed, with correct grammar, and got me hooked on reading. They were massively politically incorrect and would not be published today!

I was also strongly encouraged to read by my parents. We would be taken to the library in town every Saturday and told to choose four books. My parents would check in with us to make sure we were progressing with the books. Reading is still my greatest pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 239May 17, 2022 8:20 AM

Richmal Crompton was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 240May 17, 2022 9:54 AM

R231. So have I. Love prowling through used bookstores in search of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 241May 17, 2022 10:39 AM

Blood Meridian

by Anonymousreply 242May 17, 2022 10:59 AM

Flat Stanley

The Headless Cupid

The Betsy-Tacy series

Homer Price and his doughnut machine

The Westing Game

The Bobbsey Twins

Henry Reed

by Anonymousreply 243May 17, 2022 1:44 PM

From the age 12 to my freshmen year in college I read A Tree Grows in Brookyln once a year. Other childhood favorites that were read mutiple times as a child were Heidi and Ramona the Pest.

by Anonymousreply 244May 17, 2022 2:46 PM

R244 I loved all of Beverly Cleary's books, and Ramona was one of my favorite characters.

Was Ramona the Pest the book where Ramona went to first grade and the teacher told her to "sit down for the present" and Ramona kept waiting for the teacher to give her a gift?

That always stuck with me. Beverly Cleary had such a wonderful way of tapping into a child's thought processes.

by Anonymousreply 245May 17, 2022 2:54 PM

There are too many childrens books. We should read fewer so we have a shared reading experience to help us relate to one another when were grown up.

by Anonymousreply 246May 17, 2022 8:29 PM

I loved Beverly Cleary's books (and especially Ramona) as well, R245. I also remember a moment, not particularly pivotal to the plot (iirc) from one of them, and it has stuck with me for 30+ years now. Ramona pukes in class and then later overhears her teacher saying it was a "pain" (or something similar) - Ramona assumes that the teacher is saying SHE is a pain but it turns out later, when the teacher explains, she meant that the incident was a pain, not Ramona herself. For some reason that really struck me as a child, because I interpreted it just as Ramona did, understood why she was upset and found the teacher's explanation, which is not presented as false or disingenuous, to be slightly false and disingenuous.

I have NO idea why I still remember that minor detail from a book I last read decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2022 9:31 PM

The Famous Five books were in my top 3 as a kid, R235. Absolutely loved them (and being so young I don't recall picking up on any of the political correctness - not that it wasn't there, just that I would never have associated badness, at that age, with anything other than an individual rather than a group). Am actually tempted to read them through again now. Julian was my favourite, my first crush and in some ways the character I still compare most men to. Upright, moral, slightly teasing but affectionate, stern when necessary etc. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 248May 17, 2022 9:34 PM

The Practical Princess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 17, 2022 9:39 PM

owls in the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250May 17, 2022 11:23 PM

The first non-picture books I remember loving were the Thorton Burgess animal stories. I think they are largely forgotten, I had a hard time finding them when looking for books when my nieces and nephews were little. Even when I read them in the '70's, it was older copies from the library.

Others would the Velveteen Rabbit. A bunch of mystery series, The Secret Seven, the Hardy Boys, and my favorite The Three Investigators. Eventually I graduated to Agatha Christie that lasted quite a while.

I would say Red Fern Grows and Wrinkle in Time were the big two favorites of later grade school, especially Red Fern even though it was a bit traumatic. I reread Red Fern later in high school, and it seemed to have aged pretty well as a good book (at least for a 16 or 17 year old. I reread Wrinkle in Time when the movie came out, and that did not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251May 17, 2022 11:38 PM

The Jungle Book.

by Anonymousreply 252May 19, 2022 6:37 AM

How to Make Love Like a Pornstar.

by Anonymousreply 253May 19, 2022 6:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!